Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

Devin Hester for Future HOF Modern Set?

No...Not even close...Longshot to make it in as a special teams player/return guy...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:
    Devin Hester for Future HOF Modern Set?

No...Not even close...Longshot to make it in as a special teams player/return guy...

And the wrong card was selected as well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I have an SP 9 but voted no on Hester

Curious...what would be the right card

I hear this all the time especially in baseball

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    I have an SP 9 but voted no on Hester

Curious...what would be the right card

I hear this all the time especially in baseball

Since SP is numbered to /750 the next card of choice is usually Chrome. After Chrome it might be/could be Rookie and Stars, Elite, Bowman Chrome, Stadium Club or maybe even something else. 2016 Prizm has been selective for a few of the registries so far with Chrome being unavailable.

title.
  • Options

Last year on the ballot for these guys...Obviously Craig and Jacoby will shift over the Future HOF- Senior Set, but what about these other players? Any consensus on their worthiness to be included on the Future HOF Senior Set?

For me, I don't see any slam dunks. Fralic and Simms may deserve some consideration, but path for any of the others looks pretty weak in the Senior Pool. Millard would be well back on the rankings of DE/DT within the seniors...Same with Walls in the CBs, He'd be probably the 5th-6th CB in the seniors.

Roger Craig
    Joe Jacoby
    Phil Simms
    Jay Hilgenberg
    Bill Fralic
    Keith Millard
    Everson Walls

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

WOW..J.J. Watt to miss another season..This is why you don't anoint guys Future HOFers too soon...If he never plays again, does he make the HOF? Should always be the question..

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    WOW..J.J. Watt to miss another season..This is why you don't anoint guys Future HOFers too soon...If he never plays again, does he make the HOF? Should always be the question..

3 Defensive Player of the Year Awards. The only other player to win three awards is Lawrence Taylor.

title.
  • Options

So if a player enters the league dominates for 3 years and retires he's a lock HOFer? Definitely takes many variables and it's possible Watt has enough under his belt to be elected. In fact I think his odds today if he never plays again are better than 50%.

But when was Watt added to the Future Modern set? Wasn't in 2017. Anyone remember how long ago he was voted on?

I guess that's more my point. Need to be way more selective and careful on putting active players on the set. Let's get them to 80-90% odds before we add them.

Just my opinion of course I'm only one voter.

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    So if a player enters the league dominates for 3 years and retires he's a lock HOFer? Definitely takes many variables and it's possible Watt has enough under his belt to be elected. In fact I think his odds today if he never plays again are better than 50%.

But when was Watt added to the Future Modern set? Wasn't in 2017. Anyone remember how long ago he was voted on?

I guess that's more my point. Need to be way more selective and careful on putting active players on the set. Let's get them to 80-90% odds before we add them.

Just my opinion of course I'm only one voter.

Watt was an All Pro 4 out of his first 5 seasons and recorded 74.5 sacks, leading the league twice. We won't know until it is voted on but I believe we will see him on the next All Decade team. He also has some nice highlight reel INT returns (which never hurts and is quite unexpected from a 3-4 defensive end). Off hand I cannot think of another defensive player who dominated the way Watt has the first 5 years of his career.

title.
  • Options

No doubt, Watt has been great when healthy...It's going to put him in the HOF conversation even if he ends up never playing again with just 88 games under his belt...

But as we have learned, other dominant players with short careers (Terrell Davis, Kenny Easley, Tony Boselli) have had a tough time getting elected...And as those players also prove, as the years pass and new players come in and are great, these past players greatness seems to fade...

Lawrence Taylor was a 1st Team All-Pro in 8 of his first 9 seasons...He literally changed the way LB position was played..He change offensive blocking schemes..But now only 30 years later, JJ Watt who was great in 4 of his first 5 years is now the poster child for greatest defensive player to ever play?

JJ Watt will be on the same level as a Terrell Davis and Tony Boselli, guy swe remember as "could have been" all time great players, but had career cut short via injury...JJ Watt will NOT be remember as the greatest defensive player of all-time, nor will he even be mentioned in the same breath as Lawrence Taylor...Time is the great equilizer, and erodes all memories.

• Options

BTW, Watt has 1 career INT...lol

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 5:40AM

@JasP24 said:
    No doubt, Watt has been great when healthy...It's going to put him in the HOF conversation even if he ends up never playing again with just 88 games under his belt...

But as we have learned, other dominant players with short careers (Terrell Davis, Kenny Easley, Tony Boselli) have had a tough time getting elected...And as those players also prove, as the years pass and new players come in and are great, these past players greatness seems to fade...

Lawrence Taylor was a 1st Team All-Pro in 8 of his first 9 seasons...He literally changed the way LB position was played..He change offensive blocking schemes..But now only 30 years later, JJ Watt who was great in 4 of his first 5 years is now the poster child for greatest defensive player to ever play?

JJ Watt will be on the same level as a Terrell Davis and Tony Boselli, guy swe remember as "could have been" all time great players, but had career cut short via injury...JJ Watt will NOT be remember as the greatest defensive player of all-time, nor will he even be mentioned in the same breath as Lawrence Taylor...Time is the great equilizer, and erodes all memories.

None of those mentioned have the career resume of Watt, the most similar might be Davis. I believe the three DPOY Awards will carry weight with the voters and an All Decade selection would lend some credence to this.

Like Taylor Watt brought a level of athleticism to the 3-4 defensive end position we have not seen before. I

I was also counting his postseason pick six which is a highlight reel play by itself.

title.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Watt with only 5 years would definitely have a home on the All Decade Team, but I think he'll need a bit more for HOF.

All Decade is great, but not a ticket to the Hall.

Roger Craig was on an All Decade Team, along with I think Joe Jacoby. Neither in and on their way to Senior Ballot. Roger did something no one else ever had, and only one other has since, and both Craig and Jacoby have Rings. Craig is borderline, but I'd like to see him in. I'm kinda surprised Jacoby isn't in already.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

Absolutely, there are many many variables the voters use to determine the cutdown to the final 5..Tony Boselli is FIRST TEAM all-decade in the 1990s and it took him 10 years to even make the top 15..Hes still not in..5 Pro Bowls, 3 time First Team All-Pro..Considered the best OT in the game for that short period, VERY similar to Watt 91 games (Watt with 88)...

His accolades will get him in the HOF conversation, but if he cant get back and play up to HOF standards, He's going to have a tough time making it due to his lack of longevity..It hurt Davis (Who IMO had a better resume than Watt-2 Super Bowl rings, Super Bowl MVP and LEAGUE MVP)...He waited over 10 years...Boselli still waiting...Easley never made the top 25 as a modern candidate...

Bottom line, Davis has opened the door for short career guys with monster resumes...If Boselli gets in next year as I believe he will, this will help JJ Watt's case down the road...But what it doesn't do is excuse per-maturely adding guys to the Future HOF Modern set...I looked back through the thread, Watt was added in Sept 2016 to the set..Not too horrible, as I do have him at better than 50% odds...But still short-sighted and a very good example (now will miss 2nd straight season) on why we should wait until we are certain a guy is a HOFer and not just the new hot guy, hot name in the league...Because hot guys with hot names (Like Davis who was the hottest anywhere with 2000 yard season and MVPs and Super Bowls, etc) when he was injured..Hot names cool off...Memories fade...Its a mistake to vote guys to that set coming off their best season...Let them be on the downslope of their career at least before we stat anointing guys...

Just my opinion.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Bob Waterfield got added to the All-Time QBs set. Yuck.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Joe Thomas first ballot HOF? (even if he never plays another down?)

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

The results of the poll are in. The majority has voted to add DEVIN HESTER - 2006 SP AUTHENTIC #100 to the Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

The set has officially jumped the shark...Literally less than 10% chance for Hester...Oh well, open the flood gates...

• Options

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Joe Thomas first ballot HOF? (even if he never plays another down?)

I would think so, yes. 10 Pro Bowl, 6 First Team All-Pro..Hands down best Offensive Lineman of the past 10 years..If hes not first ballot, I'd be very surprised..

• Options

List of players with better HOF odds than Devin Hester...Might as well get a head start on adding them to set, make the requests...

Ronde Barber
    Jason Peters
    Steve Smith
    Matt Ryan
    James Harrison
    Darren Woodson
    Frank Gore
    Patrick Peterson
    Jahri Evans
    Logan Mankins

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    The results of the poll are in. The majority has voted to add DEVIN HESTER - 2006 SP AUTHENTIC #100 to the Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

The set has officially jumped the shark...Literally less than 10% chance for Hester...Oh well, open the flood gates...

I have to agree and it is the wrong card as well since his SP is numbered to /750. Even Hester supporters had to notice that Topps Chrome should of been the card of choice.

title.
  • Options

@JasP24 said:
    Absolutely, there are many many variables the voters use to determine the cutdown to the final 5..Tony Boselli is FIRST TEAM all-decade in the 1990s and it took him 10 years to even make the top 15..Hes still not in..5 Pro Bowls, 3 time First Team All-Pro..Considered the best OT in the game for that short period, VERY similar to Watt 91 games (Watt with 88)...

His accolades will get him in the HOF conversation, but if he cant get back and play up to HOF standards, He's going to have a tough time making it due to his lack of longevity..It hurt Davis (Who IMO had a better resume than Watt-2 Super Bowl rings, Super Bowl MVP and LEAGUE MVP)...He waited over 10 years...Boselli still waiting...Easley never made the top 25 as a modern candidate...

Bottom line, Davis has opened the door for short career guys with monster resumes...If Boselli gets in next year as I believe he will, this will help JJ Watt's case down the road...But what it doesn't do is excuse per-maturely adding guys to the Future HOF Modern set...I looked back through the thread, Watt was added in Sept 2016 to the set..Not too horrible, as I do have him at better than 50% odds...But still short-sighted and a very good example (now will miss 2nd straight season) on why we should wait until we are certain a guy is a HOFer and not just the new hot guy, hot name in the league...Because hot guys with hot names (Like Davis who was the hottest anywhere with 2000 yard season and MVPs and Super Bowls, etc) when he was injured..Hot names cool off...Memories fade...Its a mistake to vote guys to that set coming off their best season...Let them be on the downslope of their career at least before we stat anointing guys...

Just my opinion.

Watt has been named first team All Pro more times than Boselli, Easley, or Davis. Watt not only has been considered the best at his position like Boselli but the best player on defense for 4 seasons. Watt is also fortunate to play a position that posts stats so voters can actually tally his production on the field (stinks that OL don't really have a true measure of their game day production). In my opinion a first team all decade selection would really help his position with the voters.

title.
  • Options

Watt will most certainly be 1st Team All-Decade 3 years from now when they select the team...While I do think he's got better than 50/50 odds if he never plays again, I don't think he was or is a first ballot guy..Terrell Davis was the best RB on the planet for a short period himself, to include 2 time Offensive player of the Year, League MVP, 2 rings and a Super Bowl MVP award...And he had to wait 10 years...Boselli the best OT in the game for at least the 3 years that he was first team all-pro, was also 1st Team All-Decade, been waiting 10 years and still waiting...

Watt needs to come back and be at the very least a solid player ( he wasn't playing well this year before the injury BTW) if his 4 dominant seasons are going to get him into the HOF without needing a 10+ year wait like these other guys...Just my opinion based on history of the current voters

• Options

@dfr52 said:

@JasP24 said:

I have to agree and it is the wrong card as well since his SP is numbered to /750. Even Hester supporters had to notice that Topps Chrome should of been the card of choice.

That's a big part of the problem with these polls. They should be in 2 parts - first for the player, then, if he gets the votes, the card. I think it actually was that way a while, but I can't quite remember. I used to not worry about this way of doing things too much because I trusted that at least half of the collectors on registry sets knew what they were doing. That's obviously no longer the case.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with above.
    I have the Devn Hester card and still voted no.

At some point PSA needs to officially modify the card # requirements. 750 is more than enough
    for production numbers. In some sets they already do and prod numbers for the best RC is 300
    as in BK WNBA cards of the women. It is supposed to be the most valuable card with decent enough production numbers.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Also Watt has 3 DPOY awards, not 4. > @jay0791 said:

At some point PSA needs to officially modify the card # requirements. 750 is more than enough
    for production numbers. In some sets they already do and prod numbers for the best RC is 300
    as in BK WNBA cards of the women. It is supposed to be the most valuable card with decent enough production numbers.

With 203 current collectors of the Hall of Fame Rookie Players set, of which, the Future Modern set was meant to be a feeder to...Having the production number at 999 is already 20% of all the cards in existence being needed by the Registry set collectors...It would be interesting to know what the ratio is across other PSA Registry sets...IMO, needing 20% of the cards in existence is pretty high..As 20% of any specific card probably isn't even graded or gradable in most cases...To lower that number will mean PSA will limit the amount of collectors who have a chance to actually complete the set. To me, that seems rather counter-productive and was the reasoning behind the initial /999 limit that I discussed with Cosetta when creating the sets many years ago...

999 seems pretty safe, but back then we only had 100 or so HOF Rookie Player set collectors...If I remember correctly however, these qualifiers(no auto, no inserts, at least /999) were removed from the set description. Sorry I am too lazy to go check as I havent really been collecting the set for a couple of years now..lol

Agree with Andy, I think we used to be able to trust the majority of those collecting these sets as knowledgeable fans/collectors of the game...In recent years its become a free for all, instead of our once per year additions, they are random and typically not within the parameters in which the set was created to be...Having Hester voted on lowers the bar greatly IMO..To guys with less than 20% odds of making the HOF...Now for it to make any sense at all, would seem all these players with 20-50% type odds need to be added...Its no longer a set meant for likely/probable HOFers..Its for any possibility HOFers...Sad really, and one of the reasons I stopped collecting it...

Dont get me wrong, was VERY happy with the value of my cards due to the increase of interest in the Rookie HOFers..Selling them allowed me to fully retire at age 43..lol...

Andy, you still have the Unitas 8+++? Based on how much I sold my ugly one for, have to imagine you could pull 10k for that baby at this point! Its one of my top 3 most missed cards for sure...

• Options

I got the results of the Hester survey, but never the opportunity to vote. Contacted PSA about it and got the usual response...none. Agree with majority of the comments. Hester doesn't belong. If he does, it is the wrong card. Zero conversation on the message board prior to nomination. The person who made the request is probably the guy asking $900 for a 10 on eBay. Adding to the list of more deserving players:
    Chris Hinton
    Deron Cherry
    Jim Covert
    Sam Mills
    Kark Mecklenburg
    Frank Minnifield
    Lomas Brown
    Joey Browner
    Bill Fralic
    Cornelius Bennett
    Neil Smith
    Steve Tasker
    Richmond Webb
    Anquan Boldin
    Nick Mangold

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    Andy, you still have the Unitas 8+++? Based on how much I sold my ugly one for, have to imagine you could pull 10k for that baby at this point! Its one of my top 3 most missed cards for sure...

You mean this card, Jason? :)

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@JasP24 said:

You mean this card, Jason? :)

Oh yeah...I still have my own scan of it, thinking of getting it framed..Work of Art

• Options

I didn't actually answer your question just by posting the Johnny U. Yes, I do still have it. Definitely one of my faves. I was lucky to get it (as well as Starr and Jim Brown 8s) before the prices shot up. Now if I could only get a decent Jim Thorpe I could finally complete my set!

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    Also Watt has 3 DPOY awards, not 4. > @jay0791 said:

With 203 current collectors of the Hall of Fame Rookie Players set, of which, the Future Modern set was meant to be a feeder to...Having the production number at 999 is already 20% of all the cards in existence being needed by the Registry set collectors...It would be interesting to know what the ratio is across other PSA Registry sets...IMO, needing 20% of the cards in existence is pretty high..As 20% of any specific card probably isn't even graded or gradable in most cases...To lower that number will mean PSA will limit the amount of collectors who have a chance to actually complete the set. To me, that seems rather counter-productive and was the reasoning behind the initial /999 limit that I discussed with Cosetta when creating the sets many years ago...

999 seems pretty safe, but back then we only had 100 or so HOF Rookie Player set collectors...If I remember correctly however, these qualifiers(no auto, no inserts, at least /999) were removed from the set description. Sorry I am too lazy to go check as I havent really been collecting the set for a couple of years now..lol

Agree with Andy, I think we used to be able to trust the majority of those collecting these sets as knowledgeable fans/collectors of the game...In recent years its become a free for all, instead of our once per year additions, they are random and typically not within the parameters in which the set was created to be...Having Hester voted on lowers the bar greatly IMO..To guys with less than 20% odds of making the HOF...Now for it to make any sense at all, would seem all these players with 20-50% type odds need to be added...Its no longer a set meant for likely/probable HOFers..Its for any possibility HOFers...Sad really, and one of the reasons I stopped collecting it...

Dont get me wrong, was VERY happy with the value of my cards due to the increase of interest in the Rookie HOFers..Selling them allowed me to fully retire at age 43..lol...

I agree, /999 is limited but not low enough that it discourages collectors and keeps them interested in the set. There have been a teams sets that have abandoned many of the perimeters on the Hall of Fame sets and now incorporate autos and cards with lower print runs. I was a little disappointed in this. One thing I like about the Hall of Fame sets is the overall consistency in the cards selected and the fact that autos are not included.

title.
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

So....Jamaal Charles hits 10k yards. Good for him. Didnt actually think his knees would get him there. Hope there is more in the tank for him yet this season.

• Options

@TmbrWolf22 said:
    So....Jamaal Charles hits 10k yards. Good for him. Didnt actually think his knees would get him there. Hope there is more in the tank for him yet this season.

Puts Charles all the way up to 102nd on the all-time yards from scrimmage list...Based on Hester being added, i guess at some point we should expect to see a Jamal Charles request come across the email to add him to the Future HOFer set..lol

• Options

Devon Hester deleted - Yeah! We never gonna buy that card.

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

That is a pretty significant mistake on PSA's part. Not that mistakes aren't made, but to take that long to get it fixed. Does everyone think this was an actual caught error or enough of a "I can't believe this" emails that caused the course to reverse? Either way, I would almost bet that someone that is chasing the set ran out and tracked down either a graded or raw copy of that card at an inflated price because of the addition.

• Options

@JasP24 said:

@TmbrWolf22 said:

Puts Charles all the way up to 102nd on the all-time yards from scrimmage list...Based on Hester being added, i guess at some point we should expect to see a Jamal Charles request come across the email to add him to the Future HOFer set..lol

All time rushers set maybe....depending on when he hangs em up.

• Options

Sanity has temporarily returned and Hester was removed.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@dfr52 said:

@JasP24 said:

That's a big part of the problem with these polls. They should be in 2 parts - first for the player, then, if he gets the votes, the card. I think it actually was that way a while, but I can't quite remember. I used to not worry about this way of doing things too much because I trusted that at least half of the collectors on registry sets knew what they were doing. That's obviously no longer the case.

That really might help avoid the wrong card being selected. When ever I request I card I do my research and determine which brand was selected and the reason behind it (why Topps Chrome might be an option for some players and why SP is the card of choice for others).

title.
  • Options

@TmbrWolf22 said:

@JasP24 said:

@TmbrWolf22 said:

All time rushers set maybe....depending on when he hangs em up.

Charles is probably 4+ seasons away from 10k yards rushing to get to the alltime rushers set. Unless he can score a starting gig somewhere

• Options

I contacted the gals at the Set Registry asking if the card minimum for additions is still 999, but none of them are aware of any such rule. Does anyone here have any type of documentation about this rule? I'm certain it existed at one point and I thought (hoped) it still did. This would eliminate any more Devin Hester issues (SP Authentic is numbered to 750) going forward.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    I contacted the gals at the Set Registry asking if the card minimum for additions is still 999, but none of them are aware of any such rule. Does anyone here have any type of documentation about this rule? I'm certain it existed at one point and I thought (hoped) it still did. This would eliminate any more Devin Hester issues (SP Authentic is numbered to 750) going forward.

I always thought it was more an unwritten rule but one everyone followed.

title.
  • Options

Correct...This was rule we enforced amongst ourselves just out of common sense and using the cards at the time (2001-earlier)...

• Options
    edited November 2, 2017 5:46AM

Here are the old guidelines from 10 years ago, found this in one of my old emails with the Registry staff from Jan 2008.

Hi Jason,

I think the following information will clarify;

HOF and Key Card Sets:
    Additions to the HOF and Key Card sets are possible. Every year new HOF inductions are made. In addition, some players may have performed well enough in recent years to warrant addition to Al l-Time sets. In some cases only one card will qualify for addition to the set. In some cases, several cards may qualify and members participating in the set will be polled for their opinion. The majority vote will determine which card is added. If less than 50% of the members polled respond, then experts at PSA will select the card for addition. If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify. In the case in which a HOF’er does not have a rookie and or popular/mainstream issue card, this player will not be included in the HOF Team and Key Card sets which require a specific card. HOF sets that allow ‘any card’ for a particular player will be updated as new inductions are made and brought to our attention.

I will make the amendments to the information online today. I think the confusion was because Bill Willis is listed in the HOF Player/Coaches/Admin set, that it was an automatic inclusion to any other HOF sets. The difference, which I checked with BJ on just to clarify, is that in the HOF Player/Coaches/Admin set, any card will be accepted. However, for card specific HOF and Key-Card sets, unless otherwise specified, a rookie and or popular/mainstream issue card is to be used.

In this case, Bill Willis does not have cards issued that meet the requirements and therefore, will nto be added to the HOF Cleveland Browns set.

I have copied Gayle on this email so that she can send out an update recanting the recent poll ran for Bill’s inclusion to the HOF Cleveland Browns set.

This was later changed to the current version below which can be found on the Set Request page..

Additions to the HOF and Key Card sets are possible. Every year new HOF inductions are made. In addition, some players may have performed well enough in recent years to warrant addition to All-Time sets. In some cases only one card will qualify for addition to the set. There are some cases where several cards may qualify. In a Key Card set members will be polled for their opinion. The majority vote will determine which card is added. If less than 50% of the members polled respond, then experts at PSA will select the card for addition. Additions to HOF sets requiring a rookie card are updated as requested and in some cases may also require a poll amongst set registrants. If the set requires rookie cards, only the cards which are recognized as official rookie cards for the player will be accepted. A list of these cards can be found in the Ultimate Rookie Card Encyclopedia. In the rookie sets, multiple cards may be accepted for each player. In the case in which a HOFer does not have a rookie and or popular/mainstream issue card, this player will not be included in the HOF Team and Key Card sets which require a specific card. HOF sets that allow any card for a particular player will be updated as new inductions are made and brought to our attention.

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Ronde Barber. Simeon Rice. Leslie O'Neal. Everson Walls. Karl Mecklenburg. 5 guys not listed in the Future Modern Set.
    So which cards would be the choice for Barber and Rice?

• Options

Barber would be 1997 SP and I believe Rice would 1996 SP are in use in other sets interception and sacks I believe.

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I just looked over Everson Walls' career stats. Honestly, I have never researched the guy. His resume' seems to be legit. Led league in ints 3 times, 1st Team All-Pro once, 2nd Team twice. 4 time Pro Bowler. Has a Super Bowl ring. I don't remember him ever being discussed. Does he have a legitimate shot? I also noticed Leroy Butler back on the finalist list.

• Options

Definitely nice to see some new names make the top 25(27 this year due to tie in the votes). Butler in particular who is long overdue, but they waited so long on him he's now going to be hard pressed to gain more votes than Lynch, Dawkins, At-Water, ad soon to be eligible Ed Reed and Polamalu.

As far as HOF chances go I believe that 3 spots are all but wrapped up. Ray Lewis, Moss OR Owens, Lynch OR Dawkins.

I also believe we will get an Offensive Lineman as the 4th selection. Most likely Boselli although could easily be Mawae.

The 5th spot, particularly based on seeing so many new players in the semifinals will be interesting. They could double up at a position. Could take one of the new wild cards if they make the top 15.

This is the final year of eligibility for Jacoby, Craig and Walls. They all move to the Senior pool if they don't make it this year. Jacoby clearly has been passed by Boselli and I don't see a path for him. Same can be said of Craig v. Edgerrin James. Can Everson Walls leapfrog Ty Law at CB?

Look forward to the next cutdown.

• Options

I believe Urlacher has a first ballot resume but will have to wait a year because of Ray Lewis.

title.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Are the voters and unwritten rules that rigid they can't chose both Lewis and Urlacher?

• Options

@JMDVM said:
    Are the voters and unwritten rules that rigid they can't chose both Lewis and Urlacher?

No, they are free to vote for whoever they want. I believe the comments you read here are based on historical voting patterns. It's common that when they have multiple candidates at the same position that these players get compared to each other and votes on them end up divided.

That won't happen with Lewis as he will be close to if not unanimous vote. Urlacher, while easily just deserving as the others who will also make the cut to 15 and 10, will end up being compared to Lewis in that his career will end up looking inferior.

If there weren't other strong candidates then he would have an easier path. With that 5th slot seemingly up for grabs this year it's entirely possible Urlacher could be the choice. But my guess is that Urlacher makes the cut to 10 this year but doesn't get elected until the next-Class of 2019.

Same thing going to go on with Moss v. T.O. And Lynch v. Dawkins. Only the top 5 can get in. It's what makes
    The process so interesting.

• Options

@dfr52 said:
    I believe Urlacher has a first ballot resume but will have to wait a year because of Ray Lewis.

I agree. And Hopefully they both go in this year as Jason stated could happen.