Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

With the final season of the decade on tap, here are my predictions for 1st Team All-Decade for the 2010s that should be announced at some point next January/February.

QB-Tom Brady
    RB-Adrian Peterson
    WR-Antonio Brown
    WR-Calvin Johnson
    TE-Rob Gronkowski
    FLEX-LeVeon Bell, Travis Kelce or Julio Jones...Depending on 2019 performances
    OT-Joe Thomas
    OT-Tyron Smith
    OG-Marshall Yanda
    OG-Zach Martin
    OC-Maurkice Pouncy..Outside shot by Jason Kelse depending on 2019 performance

Edge-JJ Watt
    Edge-Von Miller or Khalil Mack..depends on 2019 performance
    Interior DL-Aaron Donald
    Interior DL-Ndamukong Suh
    LB-Luke Kuechly
    LB-Bobby Wagner
    LB-Navorro Bowman
    CB-Darrelle Revis
    CB-Richard Sherman
    S-Eric Thomas
    S-Eric Berry

P-Johnny Hekker
    K-Justin Tucker

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Man, I just don't remember Atwater being better than Woodson...at least not as versatile in coverage.

I think I'd give the nod to Miller over Mack for his super bowl performance alone.

• Options

@spanky74 said:
    Man, I just don't remember Atwater being better than Woodson...at least not as versatile in coverage.

I think I'd give the nod to Miller over Mack for his super bowl performance alone.

At-Water has been getting more support from HOF voters, but certainly debatable which was better...

Miller is most likely at this point for sure, but if Mack were to have another 1st Team All-Pro type season, and Von Miller were to fall off, could make it very interesting between the two. Von Miller, 1st Team All-Pro 2 times in past 6 years..Mack 3 times in past 4 years....

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Mack over Miller and it's not even close.
    Mack can be a game changer. Not disputing the greatness of Miller.

Now that Sherman isn't a hawk with that great defense beside him ……
    Is he a likely future HOFer??.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

I still find it hard to believe Cliff Branch is not in yet

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@Pinkcatfish said:
    I still find it hard to believe Cliff Branch is not in yet

Cliff Branch and Drew Pearson are widely regarded as the top WRs from the 70s not in the HOF, but I'd put Harold Jackson ahead of them both.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Given that the plan for the Centennial vets vote hasn't been hashed out yet, I'm starting to think they might push back the announcement date, which annually falls in late August.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Given that the plan for the Centennial vets vote hasn't been hashed out yet, I'm starting to think they might push back the announcement date, which annually falls in late August.

Agreed, I don't know if it will even be that soon...Looking at some major changes potentially long term ones such as voters and sequences of events, etc...

About dang time!

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Mack over Miller and it's not even close.
    Mack can be a game changer. Not disputing the greatness of Miller.

Now that Sherman isn't a hawk with that great defense beside him ……
    Is he a likely future HOFer??.

Miller still has a couple of extra years on Mack tho...Sherman will get some looks, but he really needs to have a couple of high end seasons moving forward.

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

What rookie card would be selected for B.Wagner? He does not have a base Chrome rookie so I was thinking maybe Elite or Rookie & Stars? Elite is numbered to /999 and R&S is not.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

Hall is planning to go with 10 seniors for expanded Centennial Class of 2020.

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I think 10 Seniors with the 3 contributors and 2 coaches is a good number.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2019 3:44AM

Jason Thank you for keeping us informed.

I hope they induct some of the older guys from way back.
    This may be their last and only chance.

Bobby Wagner does have a crown royal. That was chosen for Hutchinson.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Courtesy of Clark Judge’s recent story on the Talk of Fame Network on his straw poll of Senior Committee members:

“If it were left to the seniors committee, the first candidates off the shelves would be Duke Slater and Maxie Baughan, with Alex Karras, Cliff Branch and Ken Riley not far behind. Others like Drew Pearson, Al Wistert, Randy Gradishar, Mike Curtis, Jimbo Covert, Tommy Nobis, Joe Klecko, Chuck Howley and Cliff Harris were mentioned, too.”

Branch is my worst nightmare only because his 1972 Sunoco update stamp is impossible to find! I think I’ve seen one on eBay in the past five-plus years.

• Options

Branch has a 1975 Topps
    Now I am not the final say but this is the one chosen for the future HOF set

does Slater have a card?????

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Branch has a 1975 Topps
    Now I am not the final say but this is the one chosen for the future HOF set

does Slater have a card?????

If its on the future HOFer set, it's the same card that will move to the HOF set. Duke Slater does not have a card that would qualify for the HOF rookie players set.

• Options

Wow, 12 player additions to Future HOF rookies set! Too bad we didnt have the poll here first, but some interesting decisions...Here are my votes--

YES----
    Ronde Barber
    Luke Kuechly
    Von Miller
    Patrick Peterson
    Philip Rivers

NO----
    Karl Mecklenberg
    Frank Gore
    Marshawn Lynch
    Marshall Yanda
    Jason Peters
    Terrell Suggs
    Jahri Evans

The most deserving guy wasn't even included! Were is Rob Gronkowski??? lol

• Options

I voted no on all except Kuechly. He has a great resume and only 1/2 done.

The player and then the card should be talked about here first

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure why they chose to use Jason Peters’ Bowman card instead of the Leaf R&S. I voted no on Lynch, Yanda and Evans but I think they all have a case.

• Options

I'm on the registry for the Future HOF set but was never provided the opportunity to vote on these. Any suggestions out there about how to address this? I went into my PSA profile and verified my email address is correct. Agree that the Peters R&S should be the card as it seems to consistently get a higher premium on recent auctions.

• Options

This has become a major problem with the set registry. Knucklehead collectors request the RIGHT player, but the WRONG card. I don't know if it's because of self-serving interests or ignorance. Those who don't know any better vote yes on said card. And the inconsistency just gets worse and worse. Back in the day, PSA used to first send out polls on players. Those who got the necessary votes went out again, this time with different cards to choose from for those players. Obviously it's easier for PSA the way they're doing it now, but it stinks for us.

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

All of my survey requests have been going to my junk mail folder. I like Peters, I don't like the card choice, thus, I voted no on him. I only voted yes on Barber, Kuechly, Miller and Rivers.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    This has become a major problem with the set registry. Knucklehead collectors request the RIGHT player, but the WRONG card. I don't know if it's because of self-serving interests or ignorance. Those who don't know any better vote yes on said card. And the inconsistency just gets worse and worse. Back in the day, PSA used to first send out polls on players. Those who got the necessary votes went out again, this time with different cards to choose from for those players. Obviously it's easier for PSA the way they're doing it now, but it stinks for us.

We used to have a good deal with Cosetta, as she would hold off on new requests until we did our annual discussion here. But as the Registry has grown, the personalization was lost. It's been FUBAR for awhile now. All we can do is hope that common sense rules the vote.

• Options

I couldn't find the notice and had to have it resent as it went to quarantine. Sounded like a lot of no votes. To be honest some of the lineman: Yanda and Evans, I'm not sure I had heard anyone talk about.

• Options

How 'bout a test of how it "should" work? I'll put Gronk up for discussion for addition to the future HOF set? The 2010 Topps Chrome #C112 seems to be the preferred card, but comment on that as well. I'll vote yes.

3× Super Bowl champion (XLIX, LI, LIII)
    4× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2014, 2015, 2017)
    5× Pro Bowl (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017)
    NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2014)
    Receptions: 521
    Receiving yards: 7,861
    Receiving touchdowns: 79

• Options

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    How 'bout a test of how it "should" work? I'll put Gronk up for discussion for addition to the future HOF set? The 2010 Topps Chrome #C112 seems to be the preferred card, but comment on that as well. I'll vote yes.

3× Super Bowl champion (XLIX, LI, LIII)
    4× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2014, 2015, 2017)
    5× Pro Bowl (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017)
    NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2014)
    Receptions: 521
    Receiving yards: 7,861
    Receiving touchdowns: 79

Yes on player and card. Most deserving player not currently on the set. Maybe not a first ballot guy, but will at minimum be a finalist in Year 1, and will 100% be inducted as a modern candidate. Will also be the slam dunk First Team All-Decade TE in early 2020.

• Options
  • Options

My top 5 Seniors....Purposely not including any players who played during the 1980s. My feeling is that they will be looking for more deeply overlooked candidates.

DUKE SLATER
    LAVVIE DILWEG
    AL WISTERT
    ALEX KARRAS
    TOMMY NOBIS

Sounding like they are going to have more than just the usual Senior Committee to pick and narrow down the list to 10, so really going to be a crap shoot..But will be surprised if any of these 5 are left out of the 10 finalists, or at minimum the top 20 cutdown....Any older player(career ended before 1980) who does NOT at least make the cut to 20 is likely never getting into the HOF.

Point of the expansion to 10 is to reduce the backlog, particularly of the players who have been all but forgotten. With future Senior selections being more modern players who played during the majority of the HOF voters lifetimes

• Options

Such a shame that Cliff Branch has passed. Hopefully with some media attention he will still make the list for induction next Summer.

• Options

@Greedoguy said:
    All of my survey requests have been going to my junk mail folder. I like Peters, I don't like the card choice, thus, I voted no on him. I only voted yes on Barber, Kuechly, Miller and Rivers.

Same here, found multiple surveys in there.

title.
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:

Yes, Elvis Dumervil has the wrong card selected for the sack leaders set and it cannot be changed.

title.
  • Options

I just sent the following:

Wrong cards on these sets?
    It looks to me like the wrong card has been picked for Elvis Dumervil on the All Time Sack Leader set. I currently am #2 on this set. The current card is 2000 topps chrome #173. It should probably be a 2000 SP authentic #146 - as it is #/1399.

It also looks like someone added the wrong card to the Defensive ROY set for 2018. Darrius Leonard is the player in question. The cheapest, but first available card Donruss #365 was added (As I said it was his first card out). That is his lowest value card. It should probably be Panini Playbook #192.
    Again I set #2 on this set.

I have the cards on the set already, but want to get them fixed in case they make HOF or some other set and more people have to buy a worthless card for the
    player. How do we get these changed?

Thanks, Bill

Well see where it goes.

• Options

The expected response:

Once a rookie card has been established, we don't swap them out.

Thank you,

Gayle Kean
    PSA Set Registry Coordinator
    p 949.567.1119 | f 949.567.1317 | PSAcard.com

I tried - it was the reason I stopped collecting the OSU set - 10 cards of nobodies that should never have been on the set. It was labeled All Time Greats - 5 of the ten weren't even all Big ten let alone all American.

• Options

I feel your pain, Bill. It's beyond frustrating. The only silver lining is that the litany of errors in the set registry help to keep the value of some of the true key rookie cards down, thereby making them more obtainable. I'm thinking more and more about creating a site for my sets so I don't have to chase bum cards.

• Options

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

I tried - it was the reason I stopped collecting the OSU set - 10 cards of nobodies that should never have been on the set. It was labeled All Time Greats - 5 of the ten weren't even all Big ten let alone all American.

Yep, the standard response. I completely agree, I would rather have the one card that fits multiple sets because the correct card was selected.

title.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@dfr52 said:

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

Yep, the standard response. I completely agree, I would rather have the one card that fits multiple sets because the correct card was selected.

Or better yet just collect the cards you really want for the set. PSA Set Registry is getting away from the collectors take on sets and getting too big for the staff to handle. So they just take a poll that anyone requests.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@jradke4 said:

@dfr52 said:

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

Or better yet just collect the cards you really want for the set. PSA Set Registry is getting away from the collectors take on sets and getting too big for the staff to handle. So they just take a poll that anyone requests.

That is what I currently have been doing. In cases where the wrong card was chosen I will purchase the required card but use the image of the correct key card from my inventory.

title.
  • Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

So do we know the date the Hall will announce this year’s two senior committee nominees? Looks like it could be as early as late this week, based on recent years, but probably sometime next week. Or has that been superseded by the centennial class? Anxious for some announcements!

• Options

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

This established rookie card makes zero sense. I recently did an A&M All-American set request and for Marcus Buckley's RC, I chose the 1993 Topps Giants Draft Picks that has him and Michael Strahan. It's worth the most, and yes I know that is because Strahan is on the card. Instead, they chose the 93 SP which is worthless and hardly any have been submitted. They also ignored all my weights, and weighted a 1986 Topps Ray Childress the same as a modern Topps Chrome Mike Evans. Also left out was a 1990 Topps card because I don't think they know what to do with the Disclaimer Back stuff now. I'm sure half the cards without the variation noted actually have the disclaimer. I'm so glad my set got approved, but I wish there was an easier way to voice comments/concerns. I fear they will act like it is all written in stone now.

• Options

@DEFPOTEC said:
    So do we know the date the Hall will announce this year’s two senior committee nominees? Looks like it could be as early as late this week, based on recent years, but probably sometime next week. Or has that been superseded by the centennial class? Anxious for some announcements!

The 2 seniors have been superseded...The regular 9 voter Senior committee has not been voting down the Senior candidates to a semifinal 15 and final 5...Nor will the group of 5 senior committee members be meeting in Canton to make any selections...The large senior class this year is going to be chosen by a larger group of voters, ex-players, etc...To my knowledge, the initial ballots haven't even gone out yet..."A comprehensive list" of nominated seniors, contributors and coaches will be sent out no later than September.

A reduction vote by the panel to 20 seniors, 10 contributors and eight Coaches will be announced in the fall. The special panel will then meet in person to reduce the list to the final 10 seniors, three contributors and two coaches. Im guessing that happens close to, or the same time as the modern finalists are announced in January.

• Options

@spanky74 said:

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

This established rookie card makes zero sense. I recently did an A&M All-American set request and for Marcus Buckley's RC, I chose the 1993 Topps Giants Draft Picks that has him and Michael Strahan. It's worth the most, and yes I know that is because Strahan is on the card. Instead, they chose the 93 SP which is worthless and hardly any have been submitted. They also ignored all my weights, and weighted a 1986 Topps Ray Childress the same as a modern Topps Chrome Mike Evans. Also left out was a 1990 Topps card because I don't think they know what to do with the Disclaimer Back stuff now. I'm sure half the cards without the variation noted actually have the disclaimer. I'm so glad my set got approved, but I wish there was an easier way to voice comments/concerns. I fear they will act like it is all written in stone now.

SP has been the product of choice when the player has a rookie available for most sets from 1993-2009. The next rookie card option would be Chrome, which was selected for many players from 2001-2015 when a SP rookie was autographed or numbered below/999. I am guessing that is why it was selected.

title.
  • Options

@dfr52 said:

@spanky74 said:

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

SP has been the product of choice when the player has a rookie available for most sets from 1993-2009. The next rookie card option would be Chrome, which was selected for many players from 2001-2015 when a SP rookie was autographed or numbered below/999. I am guessing that is why it was selected.

Yep, it's also the card in the unanimous AA set...just gets a little boring looking at a decade of SP and then a decade of Topps Chrome cards.

• Options

It's not supposed to be a popularity contest, what's the coolest looking card, etc. It's supposed to be what's the most valuable rookie card that meets the criteria for the set(s).

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    My top 5 Seniors....Purposely not including any players who played during the 1980s. My feeling is that they will be looking for more deeply overlooked candidates.

DUKE SLATER
    LAVVIE DILWEG
    AL WISTERT
    ALEX KARRAS
    TOMMY NOBIS

Sounding like they are going to have more than just the usual Senior Committee to pick and narrow down the list to 10, so really going to be a crap shoot..But will be surprised if any of these 5 are left out of the 10 finalists, or at minimum the top 20 cutdown....Any older player(career ended before 1980) who does NOT at least make the cut to 20 is likely never getting into the HOF.

Point of the expansion to 10 is to reduce the backlog, particularly of the players who have been all but forgotten. With future Senior selections being more modern players who played during the majority of the HOF voters lifetimes

https://mavensports.io/talkoffame/nfl/why-hall-s-2020-centennial-class-may-be-aimed-more-at-pre-modern-era-figures-fAoR5ozNm06iqOtxwM6qig/

• Options

@spanky74 said:

@dfr52 said:

@spanky74 said:

The expected response:

Thank you,

Gayle Kean

Yep, it's also the card in the unanimous AA set...just gets a little boring looking at a decade of SP and then a decade of Topps Chrome cards.

I completely understand that. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum where I prefer consistency to the cards chosen.

title.
  • Options

Prior to the 90s, it's all Topps anyway haha

• Options

@spanky74 said:
    Prior to the 90s, it's all Topps anyway haha

Yep, if only it was still tha simple.lol

title.
  • Options

Plot thickens - looks like Panini doesn't have a standard Prizm offering for 2019, just collegiate draft picks. What will this years product be?
    Panini has the following this year:Origins, Absolute, Spectra, XR, Donruss, Score, Unparallel, Majestic, Illusions, Donruss Elite, Certified.
    Looks like a crap shoot to me.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plot thickens - looks like Panini doesn't have a standard Prizm offering for 2019, just collegiate draft picks. What will this years product be?
    Panini has the following this year:Origins, Absolute, Spectra, XR, Donruss, Score, Unparallel, Majestic, Illusions, Donruss Elite, Certified.
    Looks like a crap shoot to me.

It does appear that way, but that can’t be right.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

on a somewhat related note...is PSA even going to do team sets post 2015? not sure anyone has requested one but what set would or should it be?

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's