Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Saw on Blowout that Prizm is still happening. October release

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    Plot thickens - looks like Panini doesn't have a standard Prizm offering for 2019, just collegiate draft picks. What will this years product be?
    Panini has the following this year:Origins, Absolute, Spectra, XR, Donruss, Score, Unparallel, Majestic, Illusions, Donruss Elite, Certified.
    Looks like a crap shoot to me.

The collectors on blowout's forum are pretty certain Prizm will be available for 2019.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

@jradke4 said:
    on a somewhat related note...is PSA even going to do team sets post 2015? not sure anyone has requested one but what set would or should it be?

I would think Prizm might be the first option since those cards are in most of the sets.

title.
  • Options

So I had 1990 Topps card rejected for addition to a registry set because it was a "Disclaimer Back" variety which they said is a parallel (not true). Anywho, I submit the non disclaimer back version for the set, and it is also rejected. Haha, can't wait to hear the reasoning for this. I even asked beforehand if I should submit a different brand to avoid any confusion, but got no answer other than any new request will move you to the back of the queue.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spanky74 said:
    So I had 1990 Topps card rejected for addition to a registry set because it was a "Disclaimer Back" variety which they said is a parallel (not true). Anywho, I submit the non disclaimer back version for the set, and it is also rejected. Haha, can't wait to hear the reasoning for this. I even asked beforehand if I should submit a different brand to avoid any confusion, but got no answer other than any new request will move you to the back of the queue.

What card is it. Since it is a key card set there is probably a better RC option than the Topps. I cannot think of a single HOF RC that uses 1990 Topps as the key. Most are Action Packed or Score Supplemental, or even Pro Set.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@dfr52 said:

@jradke4 said:
    on a somewhat related note...is PSA even going to do team sets post 2015? not sure anyone has requested one but what set would or should it be?

I would think Prizm might be the first option since those cards are in most of the sets.

Prizm is a terrible option because maybe 4-5 cards per team. Does Panini even have a football set similar to Topps that has more than a handful of players. I don’t think Donruss has many either, maybe Score

• Options

@spanky74 said:

I asked the same question to PSA and since Beckett lists them as a parallel PSA treats the disclaimer backs as such.

title.
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@spanky74 said:

What card is it. Since it is a key card set there is probably a better RC option than the Topps. I cannot think of a single HOF RC that uses 1990 Topps as the key. Most are Action Packed or Score Supplemental, or even Pro Set.

1990 Topps rookies are used for a few key rookie sets. Off the top of my head they are used a couple Cowboys sets and the College Hall of Fame rookie set.

title.
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@dfr52 said:

@jradke4 said:

Prizm is a terrible option because maybe 4-5 cards per team. Does Panini even have a football set similar to Topps that has more than a handful of players. I don’t think Donruss has many either, maybe Score

Sorry, I was going with Key rookies and not for yearly team sets.

title.
  • Options

@dfr52 said:

@rexvos said:

@spanky74 said:

1990 Topps rookies are used for a few key rookie sets. Off the top of my head they are used a couple Cowboys sets and the College Hall of Fame rookie set.

Can you think of a singlet HOFer where it is used?

• Options

Not any NFL HOFers that I know of...a couple in the college HOF set, Andre Ware in the Heisman RC set, and a lot of the college sets. I guess it might actually be a rarer card than Score/Pro Set/Action Packed if it cuts the production of the Topps cards in half. Problem is that most of the older slabs are actually "Disclaimer Back" cards that aren't labeled properly.

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the Hall will announce the comprehensive list of nominated seniors, contributors, and coaches? Or will there even be a public announcement? The original press releases about the expanded 2020 class said the tentative timeline for the initial seniors, contributors, and coaches list was no later than September.

And any idea when in the fall the list will be cut to 20 seniors? I assume sometime in November along with the release of the list of modern semifinals.

Anxious for some news! I didn’t get my regular senior nominee fix last month!

• Options

News!

https://mavensports.io/talkoffame/nfl/belichick-one-of-25-voters-named-to-hall-s-panel-for-centennial-class-of-2020-Colrs4qSnE-WMOpphBpAsg/

Anxious to see the comprehensive list. Just four days until the end of the month, so more news will be coming soon.

Thoughts on the composition of the blue-ribbon panel and what it might mean for selections?

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Finally!
    I’ve been looking for some kind of news every night. Thanks for the update. I’m guessing there will be a couple of Raiders on the list.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the article was edited because the mention of September is gone. Given that the committee was only recently put together, I think the list of 20 senior candidates won’t be out for a while.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that.
    Looks like They have put together a very good committee.
    I wonder if Madden will talk up Flores?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Any thoughts on who the voters picked to add to the future hall of fame football set? Peters makes the list if they submitted the proper card!

• Options

I was pleasantly surprised with the results in that I actually agree with all of them. I concur on Peters.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

Still a bit weird to me to have Suggs and Peterson on the set, but no Gronkowski...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

I’ve been scouring the net every day for an update on the Centennial class. Finally found one, a pretty big one, too. It’s been determined that the HOF voters will not get to vote on the Centennial class. The blue ribbon panel will select the class and it will be final. Because the group was going to be voted on as a whole, and not individually (which many voters were upset about), they decided to go this route to avoid the possibility of the entire Centennial class being voted down. I hope I’m wrong, but I think this could open the door for some really undeserving, unqualified players getting in based on their relationships with some of the voters. We’re definitely in for some surprises. Full article here:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/01/hall-of-fame-makes-dramatic-change-to-the-rules-for-the-15-person-centennial-mega-class/

• Options

I wonder if they will come out with a finalist group first like they were supposed to originally? It would be nice if they did. I’d like to see who I’d have in my collection.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Could be a really great year to go if the class is so inflated. Spread the joy around and such.

• Options

@shawther said:
    I wonder if they will come out with a finalist group first like they were supposed to originally? It would be nice if they did. I’d like to see who I’d have in my collection.

Last I heard (and this may have changed because many aspects of this have changed already), they were going to narrow the list to 20 before choosing the 10 new senior inductees.

• Options

Andy
    Will the list be narrowed down the same day for further consideration or
    prior to final day and made public?

Shawn
    I bet their selections will be at least 50% from the senior future set.
    A few guys don't have cards
    Just like always probably a few total surprises

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

A few surprises. I’m glad that Steve Tasker made the cut. I’m still waiting for them to come out with some kind of list of senior candidates. I finally have every card from PSA’s senior list.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me just say, even as a Patriots fan, that Richard Seymour is NOT a HOFer to me!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@shawther said:
    A few surprises. I’m glad that Steve Tasker made the cut. I’m still waiting for them to come out with some kind of list of senior candidates. I finally have every card from PSA’s senior list.

I checked with the HOF a few days ago, and the Senior candidates will be announced in mid January. With so little time between then and the HOF announcement, that should set off a mad dash for a bunch of vintage rookies!

• Options

Couple questions for JP since he's closer to the voting process than anyone else on this thread (feel free to chime in if you know the answers):

1. When it was first announced that the HOF would go with a 10-person Senior class next season, it was widely believed that some of the old-timers would be among those selected. Duke Slater and Whitey Wistert were talked about as locks, with Maxie Baughan not far behind. That was when the traditional voters were going to be making the selections. My question is, has this changed with the selection of the Blue Ribbon panel? Should we expect a more modern group of Senior selections than previously thought?

2. I'm still unsure as to whether or not the Blue Ribbon panel is selecting just the Senior players or the entire class?

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Couple questions for JP since he's closer to the voting process than anyone else on this thread (feel free to chime in if you know the answers):

1. When it was first announced that the HOF would go with a 10-person Senior class next season, it was widely believed that some of the old-timers would be among those selected. Duke Slater and Whitey Wistert were talked about as locks, with Maxie Baughan not far behind. That was when the traditional voters were going to be making the selections. My question is, has this changed with the selection of the Blue Ribbon panel? Should we expect a more modern group of Senior selections than previously thought?

2. I'm still unsure as to whether or not the Blue Ribbon panel is selecting just the Senior players or the entire class?

The whole process has been confusing. I believe they originally said they were going to come out with preliminary list. Then they were supposed to pick the 10 finalists to have the committee vote on the whole panel. The last I heard was that the Blue Ribbon panel was going to have the final say on the whole veteran class of 15. Not sure how accurate that is though.

• Options

@shawther said:

@shagrotn77 said:

The whole process has been confusing. I believe they originally said they were going to come out with preliminary list. Then they were supposed to pick the 10 finalists to have the committee vote on the whole panel. The last I heard was that the Blue Ribbon panel was going to have the final say on the whole veteran class of 15. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Yes, the Blue Ribbon will have the final say on the 15 Senior selections. I just don’t know if they’ll be picking the entire class, including the modern platers.

• Options

Now I am a little confused.
    Are they putting in 10 or 15 senior candidates? or 15 down to 10?
    For what I think they are compiling a list and vote yes/no on the entire list.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

15 Seniors will make it in, including 10 players.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

1-The same guys voting for the 10 senior players, 3 coaches and 2 contributors voted for the All-Time top 100 currently being released by position on NFL network..Seems to me, they have been more accomodating to the old time guys than even I thought they would...No reason guys like Wistert or Slater would get bumped..I wouldnt call anyone a lock though..SO SO many candidates...

2-25 person Blue Ribbon panel is NOT voting on the modern candidates..Thats still the 48 regular voters...And Vice versa..Whoever the Blue Ribbon Panel chooses, the 10 players, 3 coaches, and 2 contributors will automatically gain induction and the regular 48 voters will not be voting on them at all

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Now I am a little confused.
    Are they putting in 10 or 15 senior candidates? or 15 down to 10?
    For what I think they are compiling a list and vote yes/no on the entire list.

Blue Ribbon Panel responsible for::

-10 Senior players....
    -3 coaches coming from all eras..Notice that the top 25 semifinalists this year included no coaches..This is because they were all separated and given to the blue ribbon panel..I believe this will continue moving forward with coaches being included the same way they started doing contributors a few years ago..Seperate from the modern era finalists. This is a long time coming, and I've said it was coming in this thread for years..Nice to finally be here! lol
    -2 contributors from all eras..This is what they'd already been doing with the Senior Committee, just putting 2 in, and this likely will be Tagliabue finally gets in as the 48 regular voters can no longer block his induction for their personal reasons

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    15 Seniors will make it in, including 10 players.

The 5 coaches and contributors won't be Seniors, they can be guys who are still active owners/GMs...And coaches who have been retired and were previously eligible as modern candidates

• Options

My guess on the contributors---Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue
    Coaches- Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson

• Options

While I know Modell did great things for the league with TV etc, I hate seeing him mentioned after what he did to the Browns in the end! Canton is too close to Cleveland and people will never forgive him. Maybe in 50 years when we are all gone!

• Options

I was hoping that Bucko Kilroy would squeeze in as a contributor.

• Options

Thanks for the clarification, Jason.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2019 5:03AM

Yes TY J.P. and A.M.

I have had a gut feeling hat this special election will be for the guys long forgotten.
    Most likely their last as well

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Something to keep an eye on, as the NFL announces their 100th All-Time Team...They release lists of the finalists..And thus far, have been a few "senior candidates" included who are NOT HOFers....Have to imagine these guys will have VERY strong odds...Blue Ribbon panel voted on the 100th ann All-Time team, and the blue ribbon panel also selecting the Senior Finalists....

DT finalists--
    Gene Lipscomb
    Tom Sestak

Safety finalist-
    Donnie Shell

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Just wondering if you guys have any other predictions on the 10 Senior Finalists? Any chance Alex Karras gets in?

• Options

Here's how many players were active during each decade among the RBs, DTs, DEs, LBs, DBs and special teamers on the NFL all-time team:
    1920s: 0
    1930s: 2
    1940s: 5
    1950s: 10
    1960s: 19
    1970s: 25
    1980s: 23
    1990s: 15
    2000s: 14
    2010s: 5

• Options
    edited December 15, 2019 6:19AM

Add Ron Kramer to the list of non-HOF players named as NFL 100 finalists. He didn’t make the cut at TE; Ditka, Gonzalez, Gronkowski, Mackey, and Winslow got the nod. But still a great achievement. Don’t think I’ve heard his name in HOF discussions often.

• Options

Gronkowski isn't even on the Future Modern HOF set...Sad really...Got like 20 other player polls...Whoever made the recent requests and failed to include Gronk needs their eyes examined...lol

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:
    Here's how many players were active during each decade among the RBs, DTs, DEs, LBs, DBs and special teamers on the NFL all-time team:
    1920s: 0
    1930s: 2
    1940s: 5
    1950s: 10
    1960s: 19
    1970s: 25
    1980s: 23
    1990s: 15
    2000s: 14
    2010s: 5

Interesting to see how many modern QB’s and WR’s are on the top 100 since passing has been so much more prevalent.

• Options

My son said Instagram accidentally revealed the WRs - meant to list the nominees but 10 names were there instead of the 24 nominees

• Options

@Pinkcatfish said:
    My son said Instagram accidentally revealed the WRs - meant to list the nominees but 10 names were there instead of the 24 nominees

Not sure what you mean bud.

• Options

The WRs for the NFL 100 team were accidentally released on Instagram yesterday