Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

How about TE's on the Senior list. I would include Jerry Smith at a minimum.

Also, I really think the Jason Taylor should be on the modern HOF list. I am biased because I'm a Dolphins fan, but he is dominating, had a AFC Defensive Player of the Year under his belt and is a 5 time pro bowl selection. Also, how about Richmond Webb? He went to 7 straight pro bowls, is a member of the 1990's team of the decade, Dolphins Hall of Fame and started on a line that led the league in least sacks given up for several years (I don't know how many off the top of my head). I think he should be strongly considered.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    All,

What do you think about the price of the PSA 8 Tony Canadeo rc that ended Wed night for $1525??!! The price seems ridiculous in my opinion (considering I bought my PSA 8 Otto Graham and PSA 8 Elroy Hirsch for $500 less over the past year) and the card is a weak PSA 8 in my opinion. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts including Jason's stats of how much the card normally sells for.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    One more question for everyone. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to why the MLB HOF rookie set is not as popular as the NFL HOF rookie set? I couldn't find a post on the MLB rookie set and there doesn't seem to be a community to the extent that exists for the NFL rookie set. Just curious.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to add Louis Wright CB from Denver and Remove Dick Anderson.

I also have to add Jim Bakken to the list. The guy is on two all Decade Teams. I know I will get flack for Bakken >>

Louis Wright is an excellent choice...But he is still a modern candidate for the next 4 HOF elections..I don't see him getting in as a modern guy, but its possible he could get a push one day as a Senior...Keep him in mind 4 years from now..

I will add Bakken to the list. Based on the fact it is TOUGH for kicker/punters to get in the HOF to begin with, I can't see the Senior committee putting a Kicker in...FYI, Bakken hasn't even been a Senior Nominee in the last 3 years..The only Special Teamer on any Senior list lately was Tommy Davis..A Punter from back in the 50s/60s...

I'll add him to the list with your vote though..I mean I already have his card for the 60's Team of the Decade, but I still can't vote for him..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I can think of many more who could at least be considered, although I don't know if there's a cutoff for certain years with modern/seniors. I'm familiar with all of these guys. Obviously some of them aren't in the Hall yet because they maybe don't belong there.

Off the top of my head including AFL and not listed on your above list Jason:

QB:

Brodie
    Gabriel
    Simms
    Ken Anderson
    Stabler

RB:

Paul Lowe
    Clem Daniels
    William Andrews
    Chuck Foreman
    Don Perkins, 6 pro bowls in 8 years!
    Alan Ameche
    'Deacon' Dan Towler

WR:

Max McGee
    Ken Kavanaugh, 1940's Bears end
    Lavie Dilweg, 1920's & '30's Packers end
    Jim Benton, 1940's Cleveland end
    Drew Pearson
    Billy Howton
    Gino Cappelletti, leading scorer in AFL history
    Cliff Branch
    Gary Collins

TE:

Jerry Smith, Redskins
    Bob Tucker, Giants
    Lionel Taylor, Broncos 1960's

OL:

Grady Alderman
    Dick Schafrath
    Gale Gillingham
    Len Hauss
    Jeff Van Note
    George Kunz, 8 pro bowls
    Ray Wietecha
    Jim Ray Smith
    Ralph Neely
    Bucko Kilroy

DL:

Cedric Hardman
    Fred Dean
    Bill Stanfill

LB:

Robert Brazile
    Bill Bergey
    Randy Gradishar
    Mike Stratton, 1960's Bills
    Isiah Robertson

DB's:

Bob Boyd
    Bobby Dillion
    Jake Scott
    Erich Barnes
    Jimmy Patton
    Dave Grayson

K/P:

Jim Bakken
    Jerrel Wilson
    Happy Feller image

Just seeing if you were paying attention.

Not sure if any of these guys would qualify for consideration, just merely throwing out additional players to maybe consider that are not on Jason's fine list of candidates.

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>jason,

maybe a little more info like you did for feathers would help some of us that dont have the insight that you have.

jay >>

Who do you want to know about???It would take a week to do a write up on all 50...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

How about TE's on the Senior list. I would include Jerry Smith at a minimum.

Also, I really think the Jason Taylor should be on the modern HOF list. I am biased because I'm a Dolphins fan, but he is dominating, had a AFC Defensive Player of the Year under his belt and is a 5 time pro bowl selection. Also, how about Richmond Webb? He went to 7 straight pro bowls, is a member of the 1990's team of the decade, Dolphins Hall of Fame and started on a line that led the league in least sacks given up for several years (I don't know how many off the top of my head). I think he should be strongly considered.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Greg, unfortunatley, Taylor didn't get the votes...I know his accomplishments well, but at this point would it be enough to get him in the HOF? I think he needs a couple of more dominant years...Just my opinion..Maybe even just one more...

Webb is someone we could re-visit down the road, but for OL, you really need to be a stand-out guy. Richmond Webb was 7 Pro Bowl, 2 First team All-Pro...Hes definitely behind all the other listed OLs to include Walter Jones (7 Pro Bowls, 3 First Team All-Pro) who didn;t make the set just yet.

This is going to be a fluid set..Once we get it online, changes/additions/subtractions will be the norm...

Jason
  • Options
    On the seniors:

I'll vote for everyone that currently has votes as well as:

Del Shofner (Impressed by JasP receiver ranking)
    Walt Sweeney (he's a San Diego Charger)
    Les Rhichter

One idea I had on the senior list would be to automatically include every player that made the most recent HOF nomination list (minus the guys that got in of course) in addition to the guys we vote for. Most of us will be doing this anyway when the list comes out, why not incorporate it into our set. It would be a way of making the set more fluid and relevant.
  • Options
    Updated list:

QBs
    Charlie Conerly-4
    John Hadl
    Jack Kemp
    John Brodie
    Roman Gabriel

RBs
    Larry Brown
    Beattie Feathers
    Willie Galimore
    Floyd Little-4
    Paul Lowe
    Clem Daniels
    Chuck Foreman
    Don Perkins
    Alan Ameche
    'Deacon' Dan Towler

WRs
    Bob Hayes-4
    Billy Howton
    Art Powell
    Pete Retzlaff
    Del Shofner-1
    Mac Speedie-5
    Otis Taylor-4
    Billy Wilson-4
    Max McGee
    Ken Kavanaugh
    Gino Cappelletti
    Gary Collins

TE
    Jerry Smith
    Bob Tucker
    Lionel Taylor

OL
    Ed Budde
    Ken Gray
    Winston Hill
    Jerry Kramer-4
    John Niland
    Dick Stanfel-4
    Walt Sweeney-2
    Mick Tingelhoff-4
    Fuzzy Thurston
    Jim Tyrer
    Grady Alderman
    Dick Schafrath
    Gale Gillingham
    Len Hauss
    George Kunz
    Ray Wietecha
    Jim Ray Smith
    Ralph Neely
    Bucko Kilroy

DLs
    Gene Brito
    Curley Culp
    L.C. Greenwood-4
    Claude Humphrey-4
    Rich Jackson-4
    Alex Karras-4
    Gene Lipscomb-4
    Jim Marshall-2
    Jerry Mays
    Tom Sestak
    Cedric Hardman
    Bill Stanfill

LBs
    Maxie Baughan
    Chris Hanburger-4
    E.J. Holub
    Chuck Howley-4
    Lee Roy Jordan-4
    Tommy Nobis-4
    Les Richter-1
    Dave Robinson-4
    Andy Russell-4
    Bill Bergey
    Mike Stratton
    Isiah Robertson

DBs
    Dick Anderson
    Jack Butler-4
    Pat Fischer-4
    Cliff Harris-4
    Lemar Parrish-4
    Johnny Robinson-3
    Bob Boyd
    Bobby Dillion
    Jake Scott
    Erich Barnes
    Jimmy Patton
    Dave Grayson

K/P
    Jim Bakken-2
    Jerrel Wilson

Votes counted: jasp24, BillsGridironGreats, davemri, mikescardcloset, JLoo

• Options

<< <i>On the seniors:

I'll vote for everyone that currently has votes as well as:

Del Shofner (Impressed by JasP receiver ranking)
    Walt Sweeney (he's a San Diego Charger)
    Les Rhichter

One idea I had on the senior list would be to automatically include every player that made the most recent HOF nomination list (minus the guys that got in of course) in addition to the guys we vote for. Most of us will be doing this anyway when the list comes out, why not incorporate it into our set. It would be a way of making the set more fluid and relevant. >>

Mike, every Senior finalist from the past THREE years is on the list..lol(minus the guys who got in the HOF)..

I will add your votes.
  • Options
    So Jason, before I vote, how many players should we choose?

Also, thanks for including some of the other candidates for consideration.

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>I can think of many more who could at least be considered, although I don't know if there's a cutoff for certain years with modern/seniors. I'm familiar with all of these guys. Obviously some of them aren't in the Hall yet because they maybe don't belong there.

Not sure if any of these guys would qualify for consideration, just merely throwing out additional players to maybe consider that are not on Jason's fine list of candidates.

Rich >>

Rich, I added all players who would qualify..Many of them are still modern candidates (Senior will have had to played his last season in 1982 or earlier to be considered in the 2008 Senior pool)....One or tow of them don;t have cards in mainstream sets..We can't use Kahn Weiners and stuff like that in the HOF sets...

I assume you didn't want to vote for all these guys, so let em know who from both lists you want to vote for...I can't vote for anyone from your list of Seniors...All fine players, but I just don;t see any HOFers in that group.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>So Jason, before I vote, how many players should we choose?

Also, thanks for including some of the other candidates for consideration.

Rich >>

As many as you feel are deserving, and that you think are POSSIBLE HOFers in the future...

BTW, No one has given me an answer on Terrell Davis...Do you guys want SP or Select Certified??? Thats all I need before sending this to PSA.

Jason
  • Options
    One question, why is Galimore on the list? I mean I've seen many of his fabulous TD runs on tape. The guy was unreal and fast. He could've played flanker. But from a career standpoint his stats aren't any better than Alan Ameche's who was on two NFL Championship teams, lead the NFL in rushing as a rookie, scored the winning TD in the so-called 'Greatest game ever played', and won the Heisman in 1954, plus I believe he rushed for the third most yards in the NFL during the years he was playing. His career was cut short because of injury.

Just curious why Galimore and not Ameche on the list?

To be honest, I don't think either guy will ever make the Hall of Fame. They were both great players nonetheless.

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>One question, why is Galimore on the list? I mean I've seen many of his fabulous TD runs on tape. The guy was unreal and fast. He could've played flanker. But from a career standpoint his stats aren't any better than Alan Ameche's who was on two NFL Championship teams, lead the NFL in rushing as a rookie, scored the winning TD in the so-called 'Greatest game ever played', and won the Heisman in 1954, plus I believe he rushed for the third most yards in the NFL during the years he was playing. His career was cut short because of injury.

Just curious why Galimore and not Ameche on the list?

To be honest, I don't think either guy will ever make the Hall of Fame. They were both great players nonetheless.

Rich >>

My mistake on Amache, I missed those last few RBs from your list..They have now been added...As you can see, no one has voted for Galimore here, but he was on my initial list of 50, because he has been a HOF finalist before (1983), and has been a Senior finalist in the past 3 years..Obviously, the Senior comittee thinks more highly of him for whatever reason..I would vote Amache over Galimore, but honestly don't think either has much of a shot...

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, I am for the Select Certified. I actually have that card already and I thought it was the most popular card of the 2.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I love the modern set. I need 9 cards though. I missed out on a PSA 10 Ogden not all that long ago that I think Marc outbid me on.

On Terrell Davis, the Select Certified would get my vote. First for consistency with the other two sets. It still irritates me I have two different Eddie George cards and two different Charles Woodson cards. But changing it now is kind of pointless and it would make the card that wasn't chosen, essentially worthless at sale. Also, it was THE card back in 97/98/99. Especially that Mirror Gold, but since we aren't doing parallel's, the regular select certified gets my vote.

Unfortunately for me, the senior list isn't my bread and butter. In fact, most of those guys played long before I was born and in many cases, I have not even seen film on them. So I'll refrain from voting on those guys that I know nothing about.

On the modern list, I love it.
  • Options
    On the Senior set, I'll defer to the senior candidate experts on this one; however, I definitely want a vote for Mac Speedie

On the Modern set, I don't care which T. Davis card 50/50 either way.
  • Options
    Terrell Davis--

1995 SP-2
    1995 Select Certified-3
    Either-1

Votes cast- JasP24, vjsteele4, JLoo, envoy98, gregm13, bcd33

• Options

<< <i>On the Senior set, I'll defer to the senior candidate experts on this one; however, I definitely want a vote for Mac Speedie

On the Modern set, I don't care which T. Davis card 50/50 either way. >>

Gotcha...For the record, I am voting for the 1995 SP Terrell Davis. I like to collect the most valuable rookie of each player, and the SP consistently outsells the Select Certified in PSA 10...I don't track PSA 9 prices, so not sure about those..

Jason
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    maybe its because football is better than baseball. more stable league too in terms of player movement even with FA.

<< <i>One more question for everyone. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to why the MLB HOF rookie set is not as popular as the NFL HOF rookie set? I couldn't find a post on the MLB rookie set and there doesn't seem to be a community to the extent that exists for the NFL rookie set. Just curious.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I think it's because HOF set collecting is a new concept..The guys who collect baseball are the same guys that tend to collect year sets..Like 1959 Topps, 1950 Bowman, etc...Football cards are the new up-and-comers, baseball is the old guard and they tend to stick with tradition. The football guys, and the NFL in general is building its tradition as we speak...One day, when we are the old guard, HOF and Key Card set collecting will be the norm.

Just my opinion of course,
    Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Terrell Davis--

1995 SP-1
    1995 Select Certified-2
    Either-1

Votes cast- JasP24, vjsteele4, JLoo, envoy98 >>

I vote for Select Certified for TD

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Great idea on this set guys! Although I see it creating more competition on the future HOF cards I still lack...

I cast a vote for the SP T. Davis.
  • Options
    Updated vote...

Terrell Davis--

1995 SP-4
    1995 Select Certified-3
    Either-1

Votes cast- JasP24, vjsteele4, JLoo, envoy98, gregm13, bcd33 , Favrefan1971, drewsef
  • Options
    My senior list voting:

Bob Hayes-4
    Mac Speedie-5
    Billy Wilson-4
    Jerry Kramer-4
    Mick Tingelhoff-4
    Jim Tyrer (ignoring off the field murder... he was HOF material)
    L.C. Greenwood-4
    Claude Humphrey-4
    Chris Hanburger-4
    Chuck Howley-4
    Lee Roy Jordan-4
    Tommy Nobis-4
    Dave Robinson-4 (too many LBs I know, but I feel 3 of the 5 are at the same level and that one or more will eventually get in)
    Dick Anderson (biased because I work with his son and have taken a special interest in his career... He looks great in the film I have seen)
    Cliff Harris-4
    Johnny Robinson-3
  • Options
    Updated list w/vote count...As of tight now, anyone with 4 or more votes would make the set:

QBs
    Charlie Conerly-4
    John Hadl
    Jack Kemp
    John Brodie
    Roman Gabriel

RBs
    Larry Brown
    Beattie Feathers
    Willie Galimore
    Floyd Little-4
    Paul Lowe
    Clem Daniels
    Chuck Foreman
    Don Perkins
    Alan Ameche
    'Deacon' Dan Towler

WRs
    Bob Hayes-5
    Billy Howton
    Art Powell
    Pete Retzlaff
    Del Shofner-1
    Mac Speedie-6
    Otis Taylor-4
    Billy Wilson-5
    Max McGee
    Ken Kavanaugh
    Gino Cappelletti
    Gary Collins

TE
    Jerry Smith
    Bob Tucker
    Lionel Taylor

OL
    Ed Budde
    Ken Gray
    Winston Hill
    Jerry Kramer-5
    John Niland
    Dick Stanfel-4
    Walt Sweeney-2
    Mick Tingelhoff-5
    Fuzzy Thurston
    Jim Tyrer-1
    Grady Alderman
    Dick Schafrath
    Gale Gillingham
    Len Hauss
    George Kunz
    Ray Wietecha
    Jim Ray Smith
    Ralph Neely
    Bucko Kilroy

DLs
    Gene Brito
    Curley Culp
    L.C. Greenwood-5
    Claude Humphrey-5
    Rich Jackson-4
    Alex Karras-4
    Gene Lipscomb-4
    Jim Marshall-2
    Jerry Mays
    Tom Sestak
    Cedric Hardman
    Bill Stanfill

LBs
    Maxie Baughan
    Chris Hanburger-5
    E.J. Holub
    Chuck Howley-5
    Lee Roy Jordan-5
    Tommy Nobis-5
    Les Richter-1
    Dave Robinson-5
    Andy Russell-4
    Bill Bergey
    Mike Stratton
    Isiah Robertson

DBs
    Dick Anderson-1
    Jack Butler-4
    Pat Fischer-4
    Cliff Harris-5
    Lemar Parrish-4
    Johnny Robinson-4
    Bob Boyd
    Bobby Dillion
    Jake Scott
    Erich Barnes
    Jimmy Patton
    Dave Grayson

K/P
    Jim Bakken-2
    Jerrel Wilson

Votes counted: jasp24, BillsGridironGreats, davemri, mikescardcloset, JLoo, bcd33

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Jason, my votes should be on there too. I like them all but add the Cardinal's kick.

Also, SP for the the Terrell Davis
  • Options
    All,

What do you think about the price of the PSA 8 Tony Canadeo rc that ended Wed night for $1525??!! The price seems ridiculous in my opinion (considering I bought my PSA 8 Otto Graham and PSA 8 Elroy Hirsch for $500 less over the past year) and the card is a weak PSA 8 in my opinion. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts including Jason's stats of how much the card normally sells for.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, my votes should be on there too. I like them all but add the Cardinal's kick.

Also, SP for the the Terrell Davis >>

Bakken is on there now...So you want to vote for everyone on the above list?

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>All,

Regards,

Greg M. >>

A few have sold in private sales recently for right about $1500...The last one to auction on ebay was more than 2 years ago, and it was $600 range...I was in at $1,000, but not $1,500...The Canadeo is lower pop than Otto or Hirsch and for whatever reason, comes available even less often..Plus he's a Packer!

Jason
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I haven't officially listed my set, so not sure if it counts or not but I would vote for the 95 SP for Terrell Davis(I own both.)
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I applaud you guys for giving all that you give to this set, it's an awesome set. I have to say, though, don't you guys even think these prices are so far out of whack, it's ridiculous?
  • Options

<< <i>I applaud you guys for giving all that you give to this set, it's an awesome set. I have to say, though, don't you guys even think these prices are so far out of whack, it's ridiculous? >>

Not at all..In fact, I consider most of them bargains...Compare the vintage card prices to baseball prices from the same years...Eventually football is going to catch baseball..Its already happened in the 70s and 80s and 90s sets...The prices have been steadily climbing for the past 8 years that I have been collecting these HOF RCs...Why would it stop now? Demand is at an all-time high and there is no where to go but up...

Jason
  • Options
    These "Future Hall of Fame Sets" are a GREAT GREAT idea.
    You guys might know me as Superdave or JoeCarrLives. I don't post much but I read this thread pretty much daily. Maybe I'll crawl out of my shell and jump in to a few discussions in the future.

David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>These "Future Hall of Fame Sets" are a GREAT GREAT idea.
    You guys might know me as Superdave or JoeCarrLives. I don't post much but I read this thread pretty much daily. Maybe I'll crawl out of my shell and jump in to a few discussions in the future.

David >>

Dave, now that you are back (and climbing quickly) your input is welcome..You were buying some of the HOF RCs a few years ago..Maybe you could expound on how sharply the prices have continued to rise...

Hey, you got a vote on the Senior guys?lol

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I applaud you guys for giving all that you give to this set, it's an awesome set. I have to say, though, don't you guys even think these prices are so far out of whack, it's ridiculous? >>

Not at all..In fact, I consider most of them bargains...Compare the vintage card prices to baseball prices from the same years...Eventually football is going to catch baseball..Its already happened in the 70s and 80s and 90s sets...The prices have been steadily climbing for the past 8 years that I have been collecting these HOF RCs...Why would it stop now? Demand is at an all-time high and there is no where to go but up...

Jason >>

To be honest, I think football has passed baseball a long time ago. There's never been a $2500 come out of '84 Topps Baseball like the Stephenson did in Football. There's many examples, but some of the early 70s Steelers in PSA 10 haven't been remotely touched on the same scale in Baseball, pricewise. I'm not seeing any bargains out there, I don't know about anyone else...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

To be honest, I think football has passed baseball a long time ago. There's never been a $2500 come out of '84 Topps Baseball like the Stephenson did in Football. There's many examples, but some of the early 70s Steelers in PSA 10 haven't been remotely touched on the same scale in Baseball, pricewise. I'm not seeing any bargains out there, I don't know about anyone else... >>

Well, as I said, football has already passed baseball in the 70s, 80s and 90s....But for the 40s, 50s and 60s stuff football is just scratching the surface...With modern stuff, pops increasing will lower some of those prices...But make no mistake, demand is growing...As you have witnessed...

Jason

• Options
    I can tell you this. I collect 1950 Bowman FB in PSA 8 and I should have bought my Tom Fears about a year ago. I think that card has doubled in the last year alone!
  • Options

<< <i>I can tell you this. I collect 1950 Bowman FB in PSA 8 and I should have bought my Tom Fears about a year ago. I think that card has doubled in the last year alone! >>

No doubt about it, gone from $150-$300...Now find a baseball HOF RC in PSA 8 condition from the 1950 Bowman baseball set for $300!!!lol..You can't...

Then check the pop report to see that the Fears is even LOWER POP than the baseball...5 years from now you'll be talking about how cheap these football rookies used to be in 2007...

Jason
  • Options
    Updated list w/ vote count...As of right now, anyone with 4 or more votes would make the set:

QBs
    Charlie Conerly-6
    John Hadl-2
    Jack Kemp-2
    John Brodie-2
    Roman Gabriel-2

RBs
    Larry Brown-2
    Beattie Feathers-2
    Willie Galimore-2
    Floyd Little-6
    Paul Lowe-2
    Clem Daniels-2
    Chuck Foreman-2
    Don Perkins-2
    Alan Ameche-2
    'Deacon' Dan Towler-2

WRs
    Bob Hayes-7
    Billy Howton-2
    Art Powell-2
    Pete Retzlaff-2
    Del Shofner-3
    Mac Speedie-8
    Otis Taylor-6
    Billy Wilson-7
    Max McGee-2
    Ken Kavanaugh-2
    Gino Cappelletti-2
    Gary Collins-2
    Charley Hennigan-1

TE
    Jerry Smith-2
    Bob Tucker-2
    Lionel Taylor-2

OL
    Ed Budde-2
    Ken Gray-2
    Winston Hill-2
    Jerry Kramer-7
    John Niland-2
    Dick Stanfel-6
    Walt Sweeney-4
    Mick Tingelhoff-7
    Fuzzy Thurston-2
    Jim Tyrer-5
    Grady Alderman-2
    Dick Schafrath-2
    Gale Gillingham-2
    Len Hauss-2
    George Kunz-2
    Ray Wietecha-2
    Jim Ray Smith-2
    Ralph Neely-2
    Bucko Kilroy-2

DLs
    Gene Brito-2
    Curley Culp-2
    L.C. Greenwood-7
    Claude Humphrey-7
    Rich Jackson-6
    Alex Karras-6
    Gene Lipscomb-6
    Jim Marshall-4
    Jerry Mays-2
    Tom Sestak-2
    Cedric Hardman-2
    Bill Stanfill-2

LBs
    Maxie Baughan-2
    Chris Hanburger-7
    E.J. Holub-2
    Chuck Howley-7
    Lee Roy Jordan-7
    Tommy Nobis-7
    Les Richter-3
    Dave Robinson-7
    Andy Russell-6
    Bill Bergey-2
    Mike Stratton-2
    Isiah Robertson-2

DBs
    Dick Anderson-2
    Jack Butler-6
    Pat Fischer-6
    Cliff Harris-7
    Lemar Parrish-6
    Johnny Robinson-6
    Bob Boyd-2
    Bobby Dillion-2
    Jake Scott-2
    Erich Barnes-2
    Jimmy Patton-2
    Dave Grayson-2

K/P
    Jim Bakken-3
    Jerrel Wilson-2

Votes counted: jasp24, BillsGridironGreats, davemri, mikescardcloset, JLoo, bcd33, FavreFan1971, gregm13
  • Options
    Updated vote...

Terrell Davis--

1995 SP-6
    1995 Select Certified-3
    Either-1

Votes cast- JasP24, vjsteele4, JLoo, envoy98, gregm13, bcd33 , Favrefan1971, drewsef, mikescardcloset, shagrotn77
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Bakken is on there now...So you want to vote for everyone on the above list?

Jason

yup except for Dick Anderson
  • Options
    Terrel Davis: I vote for SP (anyone have an extra PSA 10?) I have the select certified in PSA 10, but I agree it should be SP.

Prices: Short term I think looks good as does the long term especially for football due to demographics. Medium term I would worry about the impact of a possible recession. I've seen a couple of recessions hit the sportscard market and it has been very brutal. Of course, the part of the market that will be least affected is older high grade stuff.

Senior voting: Add Jim Tyrer to my list. I think it could be that he was suffering from post concussion brain damage that led to depression and his later actions. I think head injuries will continue to be a major issue that the league will have to be addressed at sometime. Just pure speculation on my part of course.
  • Options

<< <i>Terrel Davis: I vote for SP (anyone have an extra PSA 10?) I have the select certified in PSA 10, but I agree it should be SP.

Prices: Short term I think looks good as does the long term especially for football due to demographics. Medium term I would worry about the impact of a possible recession. I've seen a couple of recessions hit the sportscard market and it has been very brutal. Of course, the part of the market that will be least affected is older high grade stuff.

Senior voting: Add Jim Tyrer to my list. I think it could be that he was suffering from post concussion brain damage that led to depression and his later actions. I think head injuries will continue to be a major issue that the league will have to be addressed at sometime. Just pure speculation on my part of course. >>

Vote added..I also added my vote for Tyrer..He was one of the guys I was on the fence with, but after looking more closely at his credentials and game play, the guy as dominant in the AFL as anyone else that played there. All it will take is one committee member to push this guy and have his career reviewed closely and he would go in, easy.

I'll wait on a couple more votes for TD before closing the voting.

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Terrel Davis: I vote for SP (anyone have an extra PSA 10?) I have the select certified in PSA 10, but I agree it should be SP. >>

I remember selling a PSA 10 Terrell Davis SP rookie for $621 back in 2000. It had clearly outdistanced Select Certified when TD cards were hot, so that would be my vote. I did have an extra PSA 10, but I sold it around December for like $40 or so. You should be able to get one for less than $50.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Terrel Davis: I vote for SP (anyone have an extra PSA 10?) I have the select certified in PSA 10, but I agree it should be SP.

Senior voting: Add Jim Tyrer to my list. I think it could be that he was suffering from post concussion brain damage that led to depression and his later actions. I think head injuries will continue to be a major issue that the league will have to be addressed at sometime. Just pure speculation on my part of course. >>

Vote added..I also added my vote for Tyrer..He was one of the guys I was on the fence with, but after looking more closely at his credentials and game play, the guy as dominant in the AFL as anyone else that played there. All it will take is one committee member to push this guy and have his career reviewed closely and he would go in, easy.

I'll wait on a couple more votes for TD before closing the voting.

Jason >>

In my humble opinion, guys like Tyrer and Gene Lipscomb will never make the hall w/ their baggage (especially Tyrer). Considering Tyrer shot and killed himself and his wife....I think his induction would tarnish the Hall's image. The same goes with Lipscomb. He died of a drug overdose in a hotel room with two women (which doesn't sound like the worst way to depart this world)...so I don't see the hall inducting him either.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

In my humble opinion, guys like Tyrer and Gene Lipscomb will never make the hall w/ their baggage (especially Tyrer). Considering Tyrer shot and killed himself and his wife....I think his induction would tarnish the Hall's image. The same goes with Lipscomb. He died of a drug overdose in a hotel room with two women (which doesn't sound like the worst way to depart this world)...so I don't see the hall inducting him either.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

The football HOF voters are instructed NOT to consider any off the field issues when voting...Obviously they have in the past and still do to some extent. But as time goes by, it gets easier to forget whatever these players did off the field..Football is not a sport for gentlemen...Its centered on violence, its a mean game made for mean guys. The ONLY thing that should be considered when deciding on who belongs in the HOF is what they did on the football field...Honestly, thats all I care to know about them..I don't consider them role models or need them to be upstanding citizens to have been good football players. My opinion of someone's personality or character is totally separate from my football opinion. Maybe thats just me, its easy to separate the 2..I can only hope that more and more of the voters can do the same...Tyrer and Lipscomb are deserving based on what they did on the field, and that's the only part of the game of football that I study and care about...I dont think it would tarnish the HOF's image at all...Just as I don't think OJ Simpson tarnishes it...He tarnished himself, but that doesnt take away what he did when he played.

Jason
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There is also the fact that a lot of Big Daddy's friends suspect foul play in his death, citing his near-pathological fear of needles and the incongruity of the placement of the needle marks (in the same arm he wrote with.)
  • Options

<< <i>..Football is not a sport for gentlemen...Its centered on violence, its a mean game made for mean guys. The ONLY thing that should be considered when deciding on who belongs in the HOF is what they did on the football field...Honestly, thats all I care to know about them..I don't consider them role models or need them to be upstanding citizens to have been good football players. >>

I am with you Jason! Free Pacman Jones! Oh, wait, he hasn't been convicted of anything... except by the NFL and the media...

<I reserve the right to edit this post if said Pacman is convicted of wrong doing>