Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Talk about making a huge jump on the registry!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am pumped. I still have to add them yet. I also realized I never added my Otto or Chris Carter.

<< <i>Yeah, I am pumped. I still have to add them yet. I also realized I never added my Otto or Chris Carter. >>

You really might make it to the top #25 w/ those as well.

title.
    I am going to be .02 short. The jump to 24th is nuts. You need some serious purchase power to jump up .5 rating. I know I won't be collecting this set in five years or so because I refuse to buy a $1000 Brady or Manning when that kind of money could get some serious vintage. Those two cards are really going to put a damper on many collections.
    I'm w/ you on Manning and Brady. The price for either in a 9 or better is ridiculous for a modern rookie.

title.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on all those pick-ups.

I need the manning and brady. for now....can't c me spending that much on modern also.

Now when thatlll buy ya some nice vintage.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭

<< <i>I am going to be .02 short. The jump to 24th is nuts. >>

The 24th position is my set and like you I can't see myself ever picking up the Brady or Manning when needed.

Congrats on all the recent pick-ups for your set.
    Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I need the manning and brady. for now....can't c me spending that much on modern also. >>

I hear ya Jay. It's to pony up that kind of money for a modern card. I have the Manning and I had the Brady. I sold it a few years back when it was a $750 or so card, thinking I could buy it back for the same price at some point. Now it's a $1,000 card. Crazy, yes, but it's definitely maintaining its value.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Sapp is suggesting that Rice be inducted over Strahan. I am a fan of Simeon Rice so I see Sapp's point. He was an amazing pass rusher who was dominant until his skills suddenly eroded. He wasn't the kind of DE who set the point of attack on the outside but he could string plays out so running backs couldn't get the edge and the interior of the defense could make a play. He also had the rare ability to run around a block if it seemed like a tackle had secured the edge. He wasn't a pass rusher who relied on power and speed or power alone but he was quick, athletic, explosive, and had enough strength to terrorize QB's and limit the outside running game. For whatever reason he is ignored for great of a player & pass rusher he was, maybe b/c he wasn't exactly a thumper or a super physical defender.

title.
    Our Future HOF vote from February:

Joe Thomas 3 yes 5 No
    Patrick Willis 5 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 3 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 2 yes 2 No
    LeRoy Butler 2 yes 2 No
    Jimmy Smith 2 yes 2 No
    Jason Elam 2 yes 2 No

Seems like Wayne would be the only one who has enough support to even be considered for the future HOF'er set.

title.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Simeon Rice over Michael Strahan? You're joking right? And how can you guys leave out Larry Fitzgerald?

<< <i>Simeon Rice over Michael Strahan? You're joking right? And how can you guys leave out Larry Fitzgerald? >>

Rice was averaging nearly 12 sacks a season until his sudden decline over his last two seasons. Had his skills not eroded over night he would easily have more sacks than Strahan considering he only needed 20 more to pass him.

title.
    Joe Thomas 3 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 3 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 1 yes

Removal:

Gary Anderson 2 yes 2 No
    LeRoy Butler 2 yes 2 No
    Jimmy Smith 2 yes 2 No
    Jason Elam 2 yes 2 No

title.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    The Giants moved Strahan to the left side because of his run stopping abilities. Also, rushing from that side, he didn't face the QBs blind side. No disrespect to Rice but Strahan was the more complete DE

<< <i>The Giants moved Strahan to the left side because of his run stopping abilities. Also, rushing from that side, he didn't face the QBs blind side. No disrespect to Rice but Strahan was the more complete DE >>

He might of been moved b/c of his strength as a run defender but his pass rushing numbers benefited as well going against the opposing team's right tackle. Strahan might be one of the best LDE but he usually didn't face the better pass blockers in the league. Rice wasn't the kind of defender to knock OL backwards but he could get off blocks and penetrate on a consistent basis. IMO Rice was much more of a complete defender than he is given credit for b/c he was such a dominant pass rusher.

title.
    Joe Thomas 3 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 3 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 1 yes 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 1 yes

Removal:

Gary Anderson 2 yes 2 No
    LeRoy Butler 2 yes 2 No
    Jimmy Smith 2 yes 2 No
    Jason Elam 2 yes 2 No

After thinking about it I am going to vote for Wilfork (I know one vote makes no difference but he's been a real force since Seymour left)

title.

<< <i>The 2004 Bowman is the one used for Wilfork in the All-Time Patriots set. I like the look better than most of his RCs, but the topps chrome would probably be the card >>

I have to agree on the 2004 Topps Chrome for Wilfork as well, especially since we have chosen that Brand for Manning and Roethlisberger.

title.
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    Just added this nice mid-grade example to my set:

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL!! congrats on the pick up. I knew you've been trying to upgrade that for a while.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave, I'm pretty happy with it. I wasn't really looking, but when I saw it I thought it would be a good one for an upgrade over my 2.5.
    Very nice pick up.
    Congratulations! It doesn't get any better than Bronko's rookie card and a mid grade might as well be a 7 or 8 with how rare it is.

title.
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    wowowowowow!!!!!!!
    Did anyone request Reggie Wayne for the Future HOF set yet?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    He was on the last vote I believe. Not sure about outcome.

I guess if he is not on the set he didn't get the votes.

Doublecheck. I'm not 100% sure.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    I don't remember seeing an e-mail from PSA, Jay.
    The results:

Joe Thomas 3 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 3 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 1 yes 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 1 yes

Wayne looks like the only candidate for the set.

title.
    quite possibly psa was never formally asked for a poll.

Was Jason peeples doing it? I know he left the set but still stayed on the boards.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>quite possibly psa was never formally asked for a poll.

Was Jason peeples doing it? I know he left the set but still stayed on the boards. >>

I attempted to but I don't have the card in my inventory so I couldn't use that function on the edit page.

title.
  • GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I requested it.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to have my first addition in over a year to this set in this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Also, a long overdo hello to everyone, it has been quite a while since I have logged in.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
    Can't wait to see what ya got. For some reason I am thinking it is the Rayfield Wright.
    Ok, I can't stand it that Humphrey is getting another shot but RAY GUY made the finals. Here is to hoping he gets in.

HOF Article
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, I can't stand it that Humphrey is getting another shot but RAY GUY made the finals. Here is to hoping he gets in.

HOF Article >>

Easy to forget that Guy has had his case made in the finals 7 times before...Humphries 4 times before...Guy's last look was 2008, Humphries 2009...Only a few new voters since then...Guy never even made a cut to the final 10...Humphries did once as a modern candidate, but then didn't get enough votes as a senior nominee in 2009...

Not really sure what the senior committee is thinking with either...Why not give guys a look who haven't had their cases made lately/already? How many times does a guy need to get turned down by the voters before the senior committee let's it go? To me, this is a waste of 2 spots, and I won't be shocked if neither get the votes.I know one of the cases against Guy was that voters had issue giving a punter a vote over other full time players...Well, the Senior has now done that for them..Apparently Guy was a better player for the 70s-80s Raiders than Ken Stabler, Cliff Branch and Lester Hayes...lol..Truly laughable...But maybe now, with voters only needing to vote yes or no, with no regard for stealing another players spot, that he will finally get the vote. Sad that guys like Al Wistert waste without EVER getting their case made in the HOF meeting so a few voters can push an agenda of getting a part time player into the HOF first.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Did Billy Howton ever make it to the finals in voting?

added

+1 for Jasp sighting.

<< <i>Did Billy Howton ever make it to the finals in voting?

added

+1 for Jasp sighting. >>

He has not...Nor have these other Senior WR candidates, who personally I would think are more deserving than even Howton:

LAVIE DILWEG
    OTIS TAYLOR
    CLIFF BRANCH
    BILLY WILSON
    DEL SHOFNER
    DREW PEARSON

Why bypass all these viable candidates in order to recycle guys who already had numerous discussions of their candidacy in the HOF meetings...Wasted year IMO, and really hope the voters on't cave on giving yes votes to either..Humphries is borderline deserving a best, and as great as Ray Guy was, he only played a few snaps a game and rarely scored points for his team...Always thought it was the older crew of voters keeping the Punter out, but thats exactly who picked him this year...Oh well, it is what it is...

Thanks for the +1...Senior nominee day this is always a thread I like to re-visit...Living in NJ now, building the ultimate mancave in the basement..Ready for an East Coast football season and a NJ Super Bowl in Feb!
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, I can't stand it that Humphrey is getting another shot but RAY GUY made the finals. Here is to hoping he gets in.

HOF Article >>

Easy to forget that Guy has had his case made in the finals 7 times before...Humphries 4 times before...Guy's last look was 2008, Humphries 2009...Only a few new voters since then...Guy never even made a cut to the final 10...Humphries did once as a modern candidate, but then didn't get enough votes as a senior nominee in 2009...

Not really sure what the senior committee is thinking with either...Why not give guys a look who haven't had their cases made lately/already? How many times does a guy need to get turned down by the voters before the senior committee let's it go? To me, this is a waste of 2 spots, and I won't be shocked if neither get the votes.I know one of the cases against Guy was that voters had issue giving a punter a vote over other full time players...Well, the Senior has now done that for them..Apparently Guy was a better player for the 70s-80s Raiders than Ken Stabler, Cliff Branch and Lester Hayes...lol..Truly laughable...But maybe now, with voters only needing to vote yes or no, with no regard for stealing another players spot, that he will finally get the vote. Sad that guys like Al Wistert waste without EVER getting their case made in the HOF meeting so a few voters can push an agenda of getting a part time player into the HOF first. >>

Could not agree more. Lester Hayes and Cliff Branch should have been in years ago.
    Added these two in a trade, I already have a Winslow, so will be looking to sell the Winslow 10.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Love that warfield card

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

<< <i>Love that warfield card >>

Thanks! I do too, I have been wanting one for quite a while, very happy with this one!
    awesome warfield.

Glad 2 c Ray Guy get a good looksie. He's a deserving HOF'er.

The argument that he is not a position player. ......well...... His punting can mean the difference of 50 yards in a game vs other punters
    when you consider hang time, no run back, and distance.

Plus the Raiders didn't need a 3rd string QB..that saves a position right there.

How many times did he save a bad snap or even run for a 1st down?

PLUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he has a 66.6 passing completion %

Can other kickers do that? Anyone remember Garo Yepremian?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>awesome warfield.

Glad 2 c Ray Guy get a good looksie. He's a deserving HOF'er.

The argument that he is not a position player. ......well...... His punting can mean the difference of 50 yards in a game vs other punters
    when you consider hang time, no run back, and distance.

Plus the Raiders didn't need a 3rd string QB..that saves a position right there.

How many times did he save a bad snap or even run for a 1st down?

PLUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he has a 66.6 passing completion %

Can other kickers do that? Anyone remember Garo Yepremian? >>

Jay, you being a Raiders guy, do you believe that Guy is more deserving than Stabler? Or Branch or Lester Hayes? He was more important to the Raiders success than any of these guys were? Really my only issue with it...Branch is the only one of the 4 who's never been a finalist or had his case made...Would have much rather see him get a look.

It is what it is..I hope they vote both these senior candidates in just to get them out of the way at this point...Maybe will help Morten Andersen's case the next few years...On the senior side, maybe they finally feel comfortable enough that they have made up for the lack of defensive guys (since 2008, 7 defensive senior inductees vs. 2 senior offensive guys) and finally get one of the deserving OL, WR or QBs in...
    I sold the Winslow, looking to use the proceeds to add a nice rookie card :

looking for a nice example of any of the following:

1957 Topps Ray Berry
    1950 Bowman Otto Graham
    1956 Topps Lenny Moore
    1957 Topps Paul Hornung

or any nice midgrade hofer from this era.

Holy Jim Brown rookie!

PSA 8 '58 Brown

This PSA 8 '58 Brown is up to $4,303 (including the buyer's premium) and it still has a day to go. Looks to be a very strong 8, but the price is still a shocker. The highest-selling PSA 8 Brown rookie in VCPs database is one that sold for $3,354 through Goodwin back in 2007. So this one has left the previous record holder in the dust. Will be interesting to see if it goes any higher. As a point of reference, the last two 8.5 sales (both of the same card) were for $5,500 and $5,352. That card is not centered quite as well as this 8.

<< <i>Holy Jim Brown rookie!

PSA 8 '58 Brown

This PSA 8 '58 Brown is up to $4,303 (including the buyer's premium) and it still has a day to go. Looks to be a very strong 8, but the price is still a shocker. The highest-selling PSA 8 Brown rookie in VCPs database is one that sold for $3,354 through Goodwin back in 2007. So this one has left the previous record holder in the dust. Will be interesting to see if it goes any higher. As a point of reference, the last two 8.5 sales (both of the same card) were for $5,500 and $5,352. That card is not centered quite as well as this 8. >>

Nice Brown, but not sure it is THAT nice...lol

Hello to all from NJ BTW. Now living in Toms River. Its nice, but obviously not Hawaii...lol
    Welcome to New Jersey, Jason. You're about an hour away from me. Toms River is a pretty cool town. They're crazy about Little League baseball there.
  • Welcome to the east coast J. Good crabbing in the Toms River area. You gotta make a trip to NYC sometime soon.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    IMO high end cards of popular players and rc's are going upward fast.

Most of my auction wins and some I didn't even are over the highest VCP ever lately.

Nice J Brown. Mostly because of the sharp black color w/o snow.

As Andy pointed out.....someone odviously thinks that card can bump.

Did anyone see the PSA 10 Ray Guy RC 1/1 final price? Someone thinks he's a HOF'er.

Humphrey gets in also.

and yes welcome to the east coast jason.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone see the PSA 10 Ray Guy RC 1/1 final price? Someone thinks he's a HOF'er. >>

I had a hunch the first one would push 3k because of HOF and Raiders registries but this got the PWCC nudge as well. Still...what a phenomenal card!!

Since the Ozzie Newsome finally popped not too long ago, how many more dominos left to fall?
    The Brown 8 ended at $4,733.82 including the BP. Wow.