Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any love for Reggie Wayne? His success with "not Peyton" as his QB has to carry some weight. >>

I forgot that he wasn't in the set yet. He would get my vote. >>

I would vote yes for Wayne as well.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>How can Marvin Harrison not be a lock? >>

1- Andre Reed been waiting so long already (Monk factor)
    2- Reggie Wayne's success with Manning after Harrison left >>

Huh? Not sure I understand what Wayne's success has to do with Harrison. >>

Both of their success came primarily from the same QB...Which in reality hurts both of there cases when it comes to getting HOF votes. It points to Peyton as being somewhat of the reason for their success and not vice versa.

I do think Harrison will get in, most likely in his 2-3-4 year of eligibility...But he's no longer a 1st ballot lock IMO..Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they put him in first ballot...Will be the only the 3rd first ballot WR (Jerry Rice and Steve Largent the others) in the past 30 years...Personally, I don't think he's in that class, and I've heard absolutely zero buzz about his eligibility from any of the voters such as there was for Derrick Brooks who is also up next year.

Will be interesting. I think Harrison makes the final 15 and moves ahead of Tim Brown in the WR pecking order, but stays behind Andre Reed who gets in next year because he's been waiting longer than any other recent finalist. Reed has now been a finalist the past 7 years in a row and made the cut to 10 the past 4 years in a row.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Here are a few others to consider...

Ronde Barber
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Jeff Saturday
    Vince Wilfork
    Terrell Suggs
    John Abraham
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Rich Gosselin made a comment before the HOF votes were announced about QB and WR stats. He described how recent numbers need to be evaluated to determine if they are a product of talent or rule changes. After hearing that I am hesitant to add any other QB's or WR's to the set for a while, especially since both have much longer careers than other positions.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.

<< <i>Here are a few others to consider...

Ronde Barber
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Jeff Saturday
    Vince Wilfork
    Terrell Suggs
    John Abraham >>

I would be open for discussion on Wilfork and Justin Smith. Both play positions where they won't post great stats but have a huge impact on their team and opposing offenses. I don't believe Suggs or Abraham are any better than Leslie O'Neal or Simeon Rice so I can't really lend my support for them. I do like Barber, and hopefully he gets some respect from the HOF voters.

title.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    He's definitely not there yet, but give Asante Samuel 10 more picks and two more Pro Bowls over the next few seasons and I think he will have at least entered the conversation. He might be hurt by the fact that he's a gambling corner, but I do like to watch him play.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I think Haloti Ngata is another one to consider with 4 straight Pro Bowls, 2 2nd team All Pro and 3 1st team All Pro awards. I think he makes it easier on the Ravens LB corp since he takes up so much space and is so hard to move guard to guard. So....when does the voting start?

<< <i>I think Haloti Ngata is another one to consider with 4 straight Pro Bowls, 2 2nd team All Pro and 3 1st team All Pro awards. I think he makes it easier on the Ravens LB corp since he takes up so much space and is so hard to move guard to guard. So....when does the voting start? >>

Ngata is having a great a great career so far but I think its a bit early to include him into the set when he has not racked up the career awards like Willis or Thomas.

title.

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Haloti Ngata is another one to consider with 4 straight Pro Bowls, 2 2nd team All Pro and 3 1st team All Pro awards. I think he makes it easier on the Ravens LB corp since he takes up so much space and is so hard to move guard to guard. So....when does the voting start? >>

Ngata is having a great a great career so far but I think its a bit early to include him into the set when he has not racked up the career awards like Willis or Thomas. >>

Same with Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson...Players who seem to be on their way, but just way too early to call them HOFers just yet...

<< <i>Rich Gosselin made a comment before the HOF votes were announced about QB and WR stats. He described how recent numbers need to be evaluated to determine if they are a product of talent or rule changes. After hearing that I am hesitant to add any other QB's or WR's to the set for a while, especially since both have much longer careers than other positions. >>

Rick is one of the most respected voters in the room, and he's been saying this for a few years now...Do not take it lightly, it is absolutely 100% part of the discussions they have when the WRs have come up in recent years...Really haven't heard it as much with QB, but mostly because there are not many "borderline" HOF QB candidates...Vast majority are easy in or easy out selections in recent years...

With WR's you have three guys, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Isaac Bruce with 15,000+ yards who are NOT first ballot locks. Then you add Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, and Hines Ward with 1000+ catches who also are NOT first ballot locks...Who knows how high Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson will take these numbers in the next few years too. WRs are a tough sell...Cris Carter can thank Tim Brown for giving him the few extra votes he needed to get in...Next WR inducted, IMO, will be Andre Reed who has become the longest waiting annual Finalist in the pool of modern candidates.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>How can Marvin Harrison not be a lock? >>

1- Andre Reed been waiting so long already (Monk factor)
    2- Reggie Wayne's success with Manning after Harrison left >>

Huh? Not sure I understand what Wayne's success has to do with Harrison. >>

Both of their success came primarily from the same QB...Which in reality hurts both of there cases when it comes to getting HOF votes. It points to Peyton as being somewhat of the reason for their success and not vice versa.

I do think Harrison will get in, most likely in his 2-3-4 year of eligibility...But he's no longer a 1st ballot lock IMO..Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they put him in first ballot...Will be the only the 3rd first ballot WR (Jerry Rice and Steve Largent the others) in the past 30 years...Personally, I don't think he's in that class, and I've heard absolutely zero buzz about his eligibility from any of the voters such as there was for Derrick Brooks who is also up next year.

Will be interesting. I think Harrison makes the final 15 and moves ahead of Tim Brown in the WR pecking order, but stays behind Andre Reed who gets in next year because he's been waiting longer than any other recent finalist. Reed has now been a finalist the past 7 years in a row and made the cut to 10 the past 4 years in a row. >>

You need to keep in mind that it works both ways----does Manning put up his numbers if he doesn't have receivers like Wayne and Harrison? Not taking anything away from Manning but he threw to two receivers that are #1 guys. Many QBs don't even get one.

<< <i>

You need to keep in mind that it works both ways----does Manning put up his numbers if he doesn't have receivers like Wayne and Harrison? Not taking anything away from Manning but he threw to two receivers that are #1 guys. Many QBs don't even get one. >>

Agreed...What Manning does in Denver these last couple will certainly help to decipher. Same with Wayne/Luck...Wayne's HOF stock went way up this year and last with how he played without Manning...Peyton was a close 2nd in MVP voting this year without Harrison or Wayne...His postseason failures aside, he will still go down as one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game...I don't think Wayne or Harrison are quite in that type of conversation. Harrison is a HOFer, likely within his first 5 years on the ballot like a Cris Carter. Wayne is getting close. I think if he retired tomorrow, he probably be a regular semifinalist and make the finals a few times with an ok shot at getting in. If he can get to 15,000 yards or 2 more Pro Bowls or another Super Bowl ring, his odds will be close to that of Harrison. He's still about step(or two) behind him at the moment, but seems to have plenty of game left.
    A few on the set that realistically need to look at removing, as they are unlikley to make the HOF at this point.

GARY ANDERSON- Been eligible for 4 years, has not made the top 25. Is behind Morten Anderen at K, who made the top 25 this year, but probably has a long wait on hand himself.
    LEROY BUTLER-Been eligible for 7 years, has not made the top 25. is currently behind John Lynch and Steve At-water at S, with Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed coming up down the road. I'd say his chances of vanished. Too bad, I think he was much better all around than At-water. At-water is unlikely to get in either, but at least he's been in the top 25 the past few years.
    JIMMY SMITH- Been eligible for 3 years, has not made the top25. With the continuing explosion of numbers, Smith is buried at WR behind Reed, Brown, Harrison, Bruce, Holt, T.O., Moss, Wayne...He's never getting in as dominant as he was in his decade.
    JASON ELAM- Likely will be behind Gary Anderson above once he becomes eligible in 2015. Could understand leaving him on the set at least until we see where he stacks up.

We had removal votes before and no one has ever been voted off. I'm not expecting that to change, but in fairness should probably at least be a consideration/vote.

• macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Sorry to promote here (seen many others do it). I have nine '55 AA's in PSA 8 goin up on ebay Sun nite. Included are two HoF rooks, Kinnard and Fats Henry. All cello pack fresh. The Henry is just spectacular and one of the best 8's you will ever see. PM me asap if you are interested. Check out this Henryt:

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few on the set that realistically need to look at removing, as they are unlikley to make the HOF at this point.

GARY ANDERSON- Been eligible for 4 years, has not made the top 25. Is behind Morten Anderen at K, who made the top 25 this year, but probably has a long wait on hand himself.
    LEROY BUTLER-Been eligible for 7 years, has not made the top 25. is currently behind John Lynch and Steve At-water at S, with Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed coming up down the road. I'd say his chances of vanished. Too bad, I think he was much better all around than At-water. At-water is unlikely to get in either, but at least he's been in the top 25 the past few years.
    JIMMY SMITH- Been eligible for 3 years, has not made the top25. With the continuing explosion of numbers, Smith is buried at WR behind Reed, Brown, Harrison, Bruce, Holt, T.O., Moss, Wayne...He's never getting in as dominant as he was in his decade.
    JASON ELAM- Likely will be behind Gary Anderson above once he becomes eligible in 2015. Could understand leaving him on the set at least until we see where he stacks up.

We had removal votes before and no one has ever been voted off. I'm not expecting that to change, but in fairness should probably at least be a consideration/vote. >>

What I like about the Modern sets like this is that they let newer collectors know WHAT brands to collect for the better players. It has really helped me focus my collecting. What about letting these guys just fall off the list until this go to the Senior vote? Even though these guys are not making the top 25 there are the Andre Tippetts of the world out there.

<< <i>

<< <i>A few on the set that realistically need to look at removing, as they are unlikley to make the HOF at this point.

We had removal votes before and no one has ever been voted off. I'm not expecting that to change, but in fairness should probably at least be a consideration/vote. >>

What I like about the Modern sets like this is that they let newer collectors know WHAT brands to collect for the better players. It has really helped me focus my collecting. What about letting these guys just fall off the list until this go to the Senior vote? Even though these guys are not making the top 25 there are the Andre Tippetts of the world out there. >>

Sure, that's an option. Through the years of this set so far, that's what the consensus has been. I'm not saying it HAS to be done, just saying it should at least be considered.

That being said, if you are looking to add the "Andre Tippett's" of the world to this set, why are Steve Tasker (6 times in the top 25), Joe Jacoby (3 times in the top 25), Karl Mecklenberg (2 times in the top 25), Albert Lewis (1 time in the top 25) and Clay Matthews Sr. (1 time in the top 25) not included? All 5 of these players are getting more votes than Anderson, Butler or Jimmy Smith. All 5 have made the top 25 at least once in the past 2 classes as well.

If you want to set to be players that are LIKELY to be inducted, you don't add them, nor do you keep players who consistently don't make the top 25. If you are after all inclusive with every Andre Tippett out there, then shouldn't you be voting to add these players who are ahead in the line?
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What I like about the Modern sets like this is that they let newer collectors know WHAT brands to collect for the better players. It has really helped me focus my collecting. What about letting these guys just fall off the list until this go to the Senior vote? Even though these guys are not making the top 25 there are the Andre Tippetts of the world out there. >>

Sure, that's an option. Through the years of this set so far, that's what the consensus has been. I'm not saying it HAS to be done, just saying it should at least be considered.

That being said, if you are looking to add the "Andre Tippett's" of the world to this set, why are Steve Tasker (6 times in the top 25), Joe Jacoby (3 times in the top 25), Karl Mecklenberg (2 times in the top 25), Albert Lewis (1 time in the top 25) and Clay Matthews Sr. (1 time in the top 25) not included? All 5 of these players are getting more votes than Anderson, Butler or Jimmy Smith. All 5 have made the top 25 at least once in the past 2 classes as well.

If you want to set to be players that are LIKELY to be inducted, you don't add them, nor do you keep players who consistently don't make the top 25. If you are after all inclusive with every Andre Tippett out there, then shouldn't you be voting to add these players who are ahead in the line? >>

well i think the answer to your question is that they were either voted in or not by those collecting the set. the makeup is entirely up to those collecting the set. while we debate on here the merits and chances of players it all comes down to our own HOF voting process, so to speak. i dont think anyone has brought up any of those that are "closer" than the others lately as a discussion point or even up for a vote for inclusion on the set. in general we all have behaved in a good manner as not to have so many votes a year, but to rather discuss the merits here and then take a straw poll as to whether their should be a binding vote. i am all for the vote process.

one area where the set appears to be heavy is that of wr's. there are currently 8 on the list. thats about 12%, with how hard it has been for Reed/Carter/Brown to get in, I have a hard time seeing the 8 plus 1 not on the list yet (Wayne) all making it in. even more so with the discussion of voters really concerned as to what will be the metrics going forward with the explosion of the passing game. that isnt even including names like fitzgerald and the two johnson's in the mix. we are a little wr heavy for how the voters are voting presently. if we are looking at being realistic i think more than just Smith would need to be purged. to be honest i never saw Smith as being dominant during his playing career. he played 14 years which helped his career stats, but Sharpe played half the number of seasons, has more TDs and is only 4000 yards behind Smith on 250 or so fewer catches.

but again its all up for votes. i dont mind it being a larger set than the real number of players that will make it into the HOF. to be honest i would rather have the players chosen just remain in until their modern eligibility expires and they can then be discussed for inclusion in the Sr set. but even with the Sr set we have seen players that havent gotten as many votes as modern candidates make it in the HOF. by rough count 21 of the Sr candidates that have made the Hall of Fame never were once a HOF finalist.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>well i think the answer to your question is that they were either voted in or not by those collecting the set. the makeup is entirely up to those collecting the set. while we debate on here the merits and chances of players it all comes down to our own HOF voting process, so to speak. i dont think anyone has brought up any of those that are "closer" than the others lately as a discussion point or even up for a vote for inclusion on the set. in general we all have behaved in a good manner as not to have so many votes a year, but to rather discuss the merits here and then take a straw poll as to whether their should be a binding vote. i am all for the vote process.

one area where the set appears to be heavy is that of wr's. there are currently 8 on the list. thats about 12%, with how hard it has been for Reed/Carter/Brown to get in, I have a hard time seeing the 8 plus 1 not on the list yet (Wayne) all making it in. even more so with the discussion of voters really concerned as to what will be the metrics going forward with the explosion of the passing game. that isnt even including names like fitzgerald and the two johnson's in the mix. we are a little wr heavy for how the voters are voting presently. if we are looking at being realistic i think more than just Smith would need to be purged. to be honest i never saw Smith as being dominant during his playing career. he played 14 years which helped his career stats, but Sharpe played half the number of seasons, has more TDs and is only 4000 yards behind Smith on 250 or so fewer catches.

but again its all up for votes. i dont mind it being a larger set than the real number of players that will make it into the HOF. to be honest i would rather have the players chosen just remain in until their modern eligibility expires and they can then be discussed for inclusion in the Sr set. but even with the Sr set we have seen players that havent gotten as many votes as modern candidates make it in the HOF. by rough count 21 of the Sr candidates that have made the Hall of Fame never were once a HOF finalist. >>

Agreed. Personally, all I have mentionedabout with this subject are things that we (as a group) should be considering as options on a ballot. In the end, its the voting that counts and matters. But whoever is running the ballot, or if we have one, should consider some of these options that many of us have mentioned when publishing. I used to initiate these votes, but I'm no longer actively collecting the set card wise. I am still registered and will still vote on any additions/subtractions. But i think someone else who has a more vested interest should run the polling from now on. I was just throwing out thoughts and ideas. Some of the modern candidates I mentioned (Fitzgerald as an example), i would not personally vote for inclusion. But his career progression at this point at least warrants being on the ballot. Maybe the majority want him on? Liek you said, in the end, everyone opinion counts the same. The beauty of the process.

Jason
    Last poll I can find that I posted was 3 years ago...Feel free to use this as a template/example if need be, or come up with something new::::::

Alright everyone. With the All-Pro selections being released this morning, it's time to vote for this years additions (and subtractions) to the Future HOF RC- modern set. As always, ANYONE can make a nomination. If you think someone is either a LOCK HOFer or at least considered very likely to be a HOF one day by all means submit the name for vote here.

When voting please take the above into account. With this set, we are looking for the sure-fire HOF guys.

My initial nomination list will automatically include the following active players:
    -With 6+ Pro Bowls
    -With 4+ 1st Team All-Pro Selection
    -Anyone with a major statistical milestone

For retired players:
    -Anyone selected as a top 25 semifinalist within the past 5 years

For Removal/subtraction requests:
    -Anyone currently part of the set who has NOT been selected as a top 25 Semifinalist within the past 5 years

Off we go, this years initial nominees:

Active-
    Kevin Williams-5 Pro Bowls, 5 1st team All-Pro
    Antonio Gates-6 Pro Bowls, 3 1st Team All-Pro
    Charles Woodson-6 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Defensive Player of the Year
    Jason Witten-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro
    Olin Kreutz-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
    Matt Birk-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro
    Chris Samuels-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro,
    Edgerrin James-12,246 career rushing yards, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st Team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Offensive Rookie of the Year
    Hines Ward- 4 Pro Bowls, 0 1st Team All-Pro, 2 Super Bowl appearances, Super Bowl MVP, 895 receptions, 10,947 yds, 78 TDs

Retired-
    Roger Craig- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 3 Super Bowl appearances
    Rickey Jackson- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
    Steve Tasker- 4 time Semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances
    Joe Jacoby- 2 time Semifinalist , 4 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances

For removal-
    Steve At-water- 6 times eligible, has not been selected in the top 25

We will run the poll through next Wednesday or end it early if we go any 48 hour period without any new votes, and I will keep a running count of the votes posted to the thread. Any player who gets better than 50% of the vote will be included in my request to PSA who will run the OFFICIAL poll to all of the set participants. Anyone is free to vote in this poll.
    Didn't we vote in Demarcus Ware and Eli Manning last year? Reason I believe this is because there was some discussion on the merits of Manning (not in set) vs Roethlisberger (in set). I think there many have been some others nominated, but I can't recall those. I'll see what I can find on those.
    Found it, for those that don't want to go wading through past posts. Here are the player being discussed last year:

Updated Future HOF'er Totals

Ware: 11
    Allen: 9
    Manning: 4
    Wayne: 2
    Justin Smith: 1
    London Fletcher: 1
    Andre Johnson: 1
    Steve Smith: 2
    Suggs: 2
    Shane Lechler: 1

Top 3 were added for any new comers.

<< <i>Found it, for those that don't want to go wading through past posts. Here are the player being discussed last year:

Top 3 were added for any new comers. >>

Do you know how nominations were made? Or was it just vote for who you think belongs and guys threw out names?

I guess any procedure is better then none.

<< <i>Last poll I can find that I posted was 3 years ago...Feel free to use this as a template/example if need be, or come up with something new::::::

Alright everyone. With the All-Pro selections being released this morning, it's time to vote for this years additions (and subtractions) to the Future HOF RC- modern set. As always, ANYONE can make a nomination. If you think someone is either a LOCK HOFer or at least considered very likely to be a HOF one day by all means submit the name for vote here.

When voting please take the above into account. With this set, we are looking for the sure-fire HOF guys.

My initial nomination list will automatically include the following active players:
    -With 6+ Pro Bowls
    -With 4+ 1st Team All-Pro Selection
    -Anyone with a major statistical milestone

For retired players:
    -Anyone selected as a top 25 semifinalist within the past 5 years

For Removal/subtraction requests:
    -Anyone currently part of the set who has NOT been selected as a top 25 Semifinalist within the past 5 years

Off we go, this years initial nominees:

Active-
    Kevin Williams-5 Pro Bowls, 5 1st team All-Pro
    Antonio Gates-6 Pro Bowls, 3 1st Team All-Pro
    Charles Woodson-6 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Defensive Player of the Year
    Jason Witten-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro
    Olin Kreutz-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
    Matt Birk-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro
    Chris Samuels-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro,
    Edgerrin James-12,246 career rushing yards, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st Team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Offensive Rookie of the Year
    Hines Ward- 4 Pro Bowls, 0 1st Team All-Pro, 2 Super Bowl appearances, Super Bowl MVP, 895 receptions, 10,947 yds, 78 TDs

Retired-
    Roger Craig- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 3 Super Bowl appearances
    Rickey Jackson- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
    Steve Tasker- 4 time Semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances
    Joe Jacoby- 2 time Semifinalist , 4 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances

For removal-
    Steve At-water- 6 times eligible, has not been selected in the top 25

We will run the poll through next Wednesday or end it early if we go any 48 hour period without any new votes, and I will keep a running count of the votes posted to the thread. Any player who gets better than 50% of the vote will be included in my request to PSA who will run the OFFICIAL poll to all of the set participants. Anyone is free to vote in this poll. >>

We ran a poll last year w/ Ware and Allen getting selected. Manning and Big Ben might of gotten in then as well.

title.

<< <i>

<< <i>Found it, for those that don't want to go wading through past posts. Here are the player being discussed last year:

Top 3 were added for any new comers. >>

Do you know how nominations were made? Or was it just vote for who you think belongs and guys threw out names?

I guess any procedure is better then none. >>

I actually kept track of the votes based on nominations made by board members.

title.

<< <i>I actually kept track of the votes based on nominations made by board members. >>

Yeah, I checked my old e-mails and see this from PSA, March last year:

A fellow registry member has made a request for the 3 players and rookie cards listed below to be added to the FOOTBALL FUTURE HOF ROOKIE PLAYERS - MODERN set.

1. Jared Allen – 2004 SP #101
    2. Eli Manning – 2004 Topps Chrome #205
    3. Demarcus Ware – 2005 Topps Chrome #213

This the 2011 vote:

A fellow registry member has made a request for the 10 players and cards listed below to be added to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

1. Troy Polamalu-2003 SP Authentic#120
    2. Dwight Freeney-2002 Topps Chrome#171
    3. Drew Brees-2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor#229
    4. Richard Seymour-2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor#282
    5. Kevin Greene-1988 Topps#300
    6. Julius Peppers-2002 Topps Chrome#214
    7. Hines Ward-1998 Leaf R&S#202
    8. Edgerrin James-1999 SP Authentic#94
    9. Ben Roethlisberger-2004 Topps Chrome#166
    10. Jason Witten-2003 SP Authentic#199

I nominate dfr52 to run this years polling. Whattya say?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Rickey Jackson is already in the HOF, so take him off the poll.
    Please add Shane Lechler to the poll (active, 7 Pro Bowls, 4 1st team All Pro). At the very least, he'll get my vote in the poll.

Thanks.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

<< <i>

<< <i>I actually kept track of the votes based on nominations made by board members. >>

Yeah, I checked my old e-mails and see this from PSA, March last year:

A fellow registry member has made a request for the 3 players and rookie cards listed below to be added to the FOOTBALL FUTURE HOF ROOKIE PLAYERS - MODERN set.

1. Jared Allen – 2004 SP #101
    2. Eli Manning – 2004 Topps Chrome #205
    3. Demarcus Ware – 2005 Topps Chrome #213

This the 2011 vote:

A fellow registry member has made a request for the 10 players and cards listed below to be added to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

1. Troy Polamalu-2003 SP Authentic#120
    2. Dwight Freeney-2002 Topps Chrome#171
    3. Drew Brees-2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor#229
    4. Richard Seymour-2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor#282
    5. Kevin Greene-1988 Topps#300
    6. Julius Peppers-2002 Topps Chrome#214
    7. Hines Ward-1998 Leaf R&S#202
    8. Edgerrin James-1999 SP Authentic#94
    9. Ben Roethlisberger-2004 Topps Chrome#166
    10. Jason Witten-2003 SP Authentic#199

I nominate dfr52 to run this years polling. Whattya say? >>

So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 3 No
    Patrick Willis 2 yes 3 No
    Reggie Wayne 2 yes
    Shane Lechler 1 yes
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes
    Ronde Barber
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Jeff Saturday
    Vince Wilfork
    Terrell Suggs
    John Abraham
    Justin Smith 1 yes

title.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    no to all but Lechler

however why bother...they wil never put a punter in the HOF.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

<< <i>
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 3 No
    Patrick Willis 2 yes 3 No
    Reggie Wayne 2 yes
    Shane Lechler 1 yes
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes
    Ronde Barber
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Jeff Saturday
    Vince Wilfork
    Terrell Suggs
    John Abraham
    Justin Smith 1 yes >>

Is this the ballot? If so, I am YES to add Reggie Wayne, no to the rest.

Also would vote YES for removal of:
    Gary Anderson
    LeRoy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Jason Elam
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 4 No
    Patrick Willis 2 yes 4 No
    Reggie Wayne 3 yes
    Shane Lechler 2 yes 1 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 2 No
    Ronde Barber 2 No
    Andre Johnson 2 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 2 No
    Jeff Saturday 2 No
    Vince Wilfork 2 No
    Terrell Suggs 2 No
    John Abraham 2 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 2 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 1 yes
    LeRoy Butler 1 yes
    Jimmy Smith 1 yes
    Jason Elam 1 yes

title.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    yes for wayne. others need more time or more awards/stats.

no on all removals. i would prefer they stay until off the modern list. then we can debate their sr. worthiness.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I will say yes to Wayne as well. I agree with the masses on the top 2 as I just think it's a bit premature at this point. But in all honesty, It wouldn't break my heart to see them in. Just out of curiosity, and not to water down the WR subject. Where is Steve Smith in comparison to Wayne, and Chad Johnson? They were all in the same draft class. For a little dude, he sure is exciting to watch.
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 4 No
    Patrick Willis 2 yes 4 No
    Reggie Wayne 4 yes
    Shane Lechler 2 yes 1 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 2 No
    Ronde Barber 2 No
    Andre Johnson 2 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 2 No
    Jeff Saturday 2 No
    Vince Wilfork 2 No
    Terrell Suggs 2 No
    John Abraham 2 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 2 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 1 yes
    LeRoy Butler 1 yes
    Jimmy Smith 1 yes
    Jason Elam 1 yes

title.

<< <i>I will say yes to Wayne as well. I agree with the masses on the top 2 as I just think it's a bit premature at this point. But in all honesty, It wouldn't break my heart to see them in. Just out of curiosity, and not to water down the WR subject. Where is Steve Smith in comparison to Wayne, and Chad Johnson? They were all in the same draft class. For a little dude, he sure is exciting to watch. >>

Steve Smith- 4 Pro Bowls- 2 1st Team All-Pro, 772 rec,11,452 yards, 63 TD, 0 Super Bowl rings (1 Pro Bowl and 1st Team All-Pro were as a KR, not WR)
    Chad Johnson- 6 Pro Bowls- 2 1st Team All-Pro, 766 rec,11,059 yards, 67 TD, 0 Super Bowl rings

Very similar players. IMO they stack up favorably with these former players:

Andre Rison
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Derrick Mason
    Mushin Muhammed
    Gary Clark

Very good players of their era, but IMO, numbers aren't big enough to ever sniff the HOF. Already dwarfed by Moss, T.O., and Wayne...Likely will end up dwarfed by Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson as well...By numbers I am meaning stats and awards.

Ocho's career looks done, Smith, probably needs a couple more Pro Bowl level years before he even gets in the conversation.

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I vote yes to Reggie Wayne...

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote yes to Reggie Wayne and no to the rest. I think Andre Johnson is real close. Another year like this year and he'll easily get my vote. If Larry Fitzgerald had a halfway decent quarterback throwing to him over the last few seasons, he'd probably already be in the set. I feel bad for the guy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If this is the ballot, I'm a YES for Reggie Wayne and Patrick Willis too.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 4 No
    Patrick Willis 3 yes 4 No
    Reggie Wayne 7 yes
    Shane Lechler 2 yes 1 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 2 No
    Ronde Barber 2 No
    Andre Johnson 2 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 2 No
    Jeff Saturday 2 No
    Vince Wilfork 2 No
    Terrell Suggs 2 No
    John Abraham 2 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 2 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 1 yes
    LeRoy Butler 1 yes
    Jimmy Smith 1 yes
    Jason Elam 1 yes

title.
  • I vote yes on Wayne & Willis and a yes on the four removals as well. I think jasp brings a great points, and I don't see any of them getting in with better players coming up for votes in the near future. I think Thomas & Ngata are on their way, but not yet. With the addition of Culp this year I don't see how Wilfork can't get in, but I'm a little biased. image
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
    Anyone else watch the Jim Brown Special on NFL Network tonight? Anyone not ranking him #1 all-time RB, please watch this one hour program.

Jim Brown: Player of the Millennium
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Yes to Wayne. No on all of the others and no to any removals.
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 2 yes 5 No
    Patrick Willis 4 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 2 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 2 yes 2 No
    LeRoy Butler 2 yes 2 No
    Jimmy Smith 2 yes 2 No
    Jason Elam 2 yes 2 No

title.
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I assume the Wilfork card will be the SP Authentic. I'll have to check on that
  • come on page turnimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Finallyimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    I would have to say yes on Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis and Shane Lechler.

They are the three most decorated players of this group:
    Lechler - 7 pro bowls, 6 all-pro
    Willis - 6 pro bowls, 5 all-pro
    Thomas - 6 pro bowls, 3 all-pro

I understand the caution with adding players with under 100 games played, but Thomas has 96 and Willis has 92, so I don't think it's that big of a risk.

<< <i>I would have to say yes on Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis and Shane Lechler.

They are the three most decorated players of this group:
    Lechler - 7 pro bowls, 6 all-pro
    Willis - 6 pro bowls, 5 all-pro
    Thomas - 6 pro bowls, 3 all-pro

I understand the caution with adding players with under 100 games played, but Thomas has 96 and Willis has 92, so I don't think it's that big of a risk. >>

Also no risk in waiting another year.

Let's look closer at games played.

HOFers whos careers ended after 1970, lowest games played:
    Gale Sayers-1971-68 games
    Kellen Winslow-1987-109 games
    Dwight Stephenson-1987-114 games
    Earl Campbell-1985-115 games
    Lynn Swann-1983-115 games
    Floyd Little-1975-117 games
    Dick Butkus-1973-119 games
    LeeRoy Selmon-1984-121 games

So both realistically are a full season if not more away from really being a strong HOF candidate. Juxtapose for a moment that Thomas or Willis get injured in 2013. Not even a career ender, but a significant injury. They play another 3-4 years but never get back to All-Pro/Pro Bowl type levels...IMO, this is a very realistic possibility. Has happened to others (Terrell Davis a good example). Are they still likely HOFers?

We see that guys probably aren't ever going to get voted off the set, even though their HOF chances have dwindled to zero. To me, even more reason to be selective in who you add. Make sure the guy meets all the qualifications before anointing them a future HOFer.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    If Willis never plays again I think he gets in, I can't say that for Thomas, he probably needs another year. As far as Lechler goes, a punter might never make it.
    If this is the can't miss future HOFers then I would say just Willis.
    So far we have:

Joe Thomas 3 yes 5 No
    Patrick Willis 5 yes 5 No
    Reggie Wayne 9 yes
    Shane Lechler 3 yes 2 No
    Haloti Ngata 1 yes 3 No
    Ronde Barber 3 No
    Andre Johnson 3 No
    Larry Fitzgerald 3 No
    Jeff Saturday 3 No
    Vince Wilfork 3 No
    Terrell Suggs 3 No
    John Abraham 3 No
    Justin Smith 1 yes 3 No

Removal:

Gary Anderson 2 yes 2 No
    LeRoy Butler 2 yes 2 No
    Jimmy Smith 2 yes 2 No
    Jason Elam 2 yes 2 No

title.
    Looks like SP is an autograph card, maybe Topps Chrome like we have chosen for Manning and Big Ben?

title.