Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to say yes on Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis and Shane Lechler.

They are the three most decorated players of this group:
    Lechler - 7 pro bowls, 6 all-pro
    Willis - 6 pro bowls, 5 all-pro
    Thomas - 6 pro bowls, 3 all-pro

I understand the caution with adding players with under 100 games played, but Thomas has 96 and Willis has 92, so I don't think it's that big of a risk. >>

IMO Thomas should of received 1st team All Pro this season. He was dominant nearly every play and faced many of the league's top pass rushers this season.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • The 2004 Bowman is the one used for Wilfork in the All-Time Patriots set. I like the look better than most of his RCs, but the topps chrome would probably be the card
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10

• << <i>Anyone else watch the Jim Brown Special on NFL Network tonight? Anyone not ranking him #1 all-time RB, please watch this one hour program.

Jim Brown: Player of the Millennium >>

Hey Jason, IMO, Not only is Jim Brown, who I have had the thrill to meet at least a dozen different times, the GREATEST Player to ever step on the football field, "Player Of The Millenium" is also the BEST Program ever produced by NFL Network. I have seen it a couple of times, none recently, and wish I would have known it was on ahead of time, so I could have DVR'd it.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Any idea what card would be designated as Reggie Wayne's rookie card? He's signing next month in Chicago and I might want to send in a rookie card to get signed.
  • I believe the Wayne RC for the registry would be the 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor #250. Extremely difficult to find centered (15-PSA 9s & only 1-PSA 10)
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I knew this day would eventually come but didnt know when. I have spent 12+ years assembling my Hall of Fame rookie set and was one of the "pioneers" that help put this set together back in 2001.

It is time for me to let this set go. I have retired the set and was currently sitting at 11th overall. I am offering cards here before eventually moving some to ebay.

That being said, this is not a fire sale of any sort. This set has taken over 12 years to build with high attention to card quality. Approximatly 80% of these cards were obtained prior to PSA moving to half grades. None of those cards have ever been sent back in attempting to be upgraded. There may be some gems in here that would get the bump as I payed special attention to obtaining higher quality cards that look better than the assigned grade.

Anyway, I have all the cards pictured and priced on my website. If you dont see a particular card, that means it has been sold.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE CURRENT HALL OF FAME ROOKIES

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FUTURE HALL OF FAME ROOKIES

You can either PM me or send an email to davemri@yahoo.com to reserve any cards. I will be selling these on a first come, first served basis and prices include shipping. I would prefer payment via personal check or money order. Paypal has taken way too much of my money over the years. image

Thanks!!

Dave

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Dave, PM sent.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave

Sorry you have lost interest.

Hopefully you will stay involved and post regular.

I shall look and see what I might need. Good luck in the sales.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I've still got about 15-20 of my HOF rookies left after I started selling off 2 years ago...Thought I would miss it, but honestly it's been pretty smooth. Went into other interests, collecting wise its been PSA/DNA HOFer 8x10 autos...I guess living in Hawaii the past 2.5 years has made it easier too...Moving to Jersey this summer, so we will see what that brings. Already scouting the Super Bowl events, plus seeing quite a few Autograph/card shows that come through there...Never know, might get the card itch again one day.

Still, sad to see Dave go, as he said, he's one of the few (maybe only) one of us original HOF RC set collector left in the game..

Best of luck on your sales Dave, I hope you get twice what you paid! lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Thanks for the kind words guys....... This set was definatly a labor of love. Once I hit 100% a few years ago, it just wasnt as much fun for me. I imagine its just a cycle of collecting. I havn't completly quit collecting. One thing i shifted to when I hit 100% was trying to get all the harder to find hall of famers either not in the set, or pre-rookie cards that are next to impossible to find. I still have some HOF pieces that I cant see myself ever getting rid of.

Jason was definalty a driving force behind starting my collection. I know he started collecting HOF'ers in the 1990's and he was the most passionate person behind the creation of the set. Once he came on the boards and we decided to start creating this set from ground zero, he had many of us hooked.

anyway, thanks again to everyone and I'll still be around lurking.

Here are some of my favorite pieces that I'm holding onto.

imageimage

imageimage

This Kiesling is one of only 2 known to exist
    imageimage

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

Do you have the archive links to this set from 2003,2004 and 2005? Wondering how many are left. I started this set in 2006.
    Hard to believe I started this set ranked #12 and 10 years, and thousands of dollars later, I only moved up 1 position....LOL....

LINK TO 2003 SET REGISTRY

Current Finest
    Collection Weighted GPA Completion Set Rating
    1 JasP24's NFL Rookie HOFers 6.91 97.13% 6.44
    2 Azvike's NFL H-O-Fers-RC's 7.04 93.68% 6.05
    3 Glenn's HOF Collection 7.57 77.59% 4.59
    4 Museum of Sports History 7.94 67.24% 4.34
    5 Gabby's NFL HOF Rookie Quest 6.27 77.01% 4.27
    6 dapcards 7.57 40.80% 2.91
    7 vjs5 hof rc 7.05 47.70% 2.10
    8 Jeff Barker's Pro Football Hall of Fame Rookies 7.78 44.25% 1.79
    9 couldabeena NFL Hall of Fame Rookie 7.46 20.69% 1.16
    10 Brian's Football HOF Rookies 7.43 8.62% 0.98
    11 Southsider's NFL HOF Rookies 5.84 14.37% 0.96
    12 Davemri's Pro Football Hall of Fame Rookies 6.73 18.97% 0.88
    13 Uncle Joe 8.00 13.22% 0.85
    14 Quimby's HOF Collection 6.83 6.90% 0.79
    15 Ron Mendleski Jr. And Nicholas Mendleski HOF set. 6.27 13.22% 0.46
    16 Heavy's attempt at 8's or better 8.13 7.47% 0.42
    17 skinnyjh's Hall of Famers 2.84 9.20% 0.36
    18 JP's HOF Rookie Players 8.16 4.60% 0.33
    19 Duner's HOF Rookies 5.66 4.60% 0.29
    19 Yasmeen 5.44 5.17% 0.29

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    I think the high water mark for my HOF RC set back in the day was in the 88-93% complete range. Wayback snapshot from October 2005.

Some time in 2006, I sold off most except the Chicago Bears HOFers and a couple others (Thorpe, Namath, Brown), which I ended up selling eventually too.

Interests change, priorities change, but the good thing is that most of the cards will still be around if you ever decide that you want to get back into the hobby.

<< <i>I think the high water mark for my HOF RC set back in the day was in the 88-93% complete range. Wayback snapshot from October 2005.

Some time in 2006, I sold off most except the Chicago Bears HOFers and a couple others (Thorpe, Namath, Brown), which I ended up selling eventually too.

Interests change, priorities change, but the good thing is that most of the cards will still be around if you ever decide that you want to get back into the hobby. >>

Absolutely! So many of the cards have just rotated through the collectors of this set, its great. I look through the sets with pics and see quite a few of my old cards.

For those who were not aware, you can see all your old cards by looking at "All inventory" instead of active inventory on your My Set Registry inventory page. I scanned all of mine so its pretty cool.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Jason is spot on.

I have cards from Jason's set, FightforolDC, Publius, AZVike, Envoy and I am sure even more. I think I have DaveMRI's Strong Chicle too.

love it that we trade and sell to our own fraternity.
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I'm a new guy to the set....relatively. I started doing the All time Rushers set, then the recievers.....then took the plunge. I too have a few of some of the pioneer's cards I'm sure, and consider it an honor to now posess them. Too bad PSA wouldn't offer to pedigree the cards to anyone that reaches 100% on this monster.
    Interesting that the 87 Topps Kelly card was in Jasen's set in 2003. Just goes to show the chnages and improvements that you all have made to the set over the years. Thank You all for your expertise, and the input to PSA.....

<< <i>I'm a new guy to the set....relatively. I started doing the All time Rushers set, then the recievers.....then took the plunge. I too have a few of some of the pioneer's cards I'm sure, and consider it an honor to now posess them. Too bad PSA wouldn't offer to pedigree the cards to anyone that reaches 100% on this monster. >>

Would be nice, which is why I paid a premium for my FightforolDC Michael Irvin card. Just wanted something in my collection from his set.
    I have a Polamalu, and Shawn Alexander with the "FightforOldDC" on the flip. I already hast 2 Polamalu 10s, that I sold off after I acquired that one....lol
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure the number is markedly higher, but I did quick count and came up with 29 cards in my collection that used to be owned by 12 current and former members of the set. Lotta Jays in there. Dan (10), Jason (3), Jay (3), Glenn (3), Dave L. (2), Jon (2), Curt (2), Art (1), Pete (1), Greg (1), Jasen (1).
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I'm relatively new to the set too, and find it great to have a bunch of cards from the "pioneers" as well, most notably Joe (Publius). I got back into the hobby in late 2010, and wish I could've of been around when you guys started the set. From what I've heard from other members it sounds like there was some great comraderie amongst the members.

<< <i>I'm relatively new to the set too, and find it great to have a bunch of cards from the "pioneers" as well, most notably Joe (Publius). I got back into the hobby in late 2010, and wish I could've of been around when you guys started the set. From what I've heard from other members it sounds like there was some great comraderie amongst the members. >>

I think all you need to do is go back to the start of this monster thread that Dave started in 2006 and see how crazy we were of the HOF rookies...I'm currently working on a project that is goign to turn my "mancave" in NJ into a mini Pro Football HOF..Complete with mini-bronze busts, and replica Canton HOF entry/facade french doors! It's the one thing I'm looking forward to in leaving Hawaii in July...Digging out all of my collectibles (only have limited items displayed where I live now).

Jason
  • Jason- Good luck on your move. let us know when you are settled in. I'm in NY and would love to see the "JaspCave"image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

<< <i>Jason- Good luck on your move. let us know when you are settled in. I'm in NY and would love to see the "JaspCave"image >>

Frank Whats up brother!

Will do...Arriving late July, hope to be all settled by the time the Super Bowl comes around..Plan on taking a week off to enjoy the festivities...

• Been will Jason. PM me with where you'll be living. We'll talk more.
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    By the way, if anyone is looking to upgrade their 1954 Bowman Blanda or Atkins HOF RCs, I just got two PSA 8.5's graded.
  • I can't believe it has been 10 years since I started putting this set together. I don't think I could have gotten as far as I have without the "OG's" from back in the day. I have sold some of my cards, but never my HOFers. I started this set so I would have something to share with my son (he's now 10). I'm not sure if and when I willmever hit 100%, but it sure is a blast trying to find the cards we need.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm relatively new to the set too, and find it great to have a bunch of cards from the "pioneers" as well, most notably Joe (Publius). I got back into the hobby in late 2010, and wish I could've of been around when you guys started the set. From what I've heard from other members it sounds like there was some great comraderie amongst the members. >>

Ha! Small world man, thanks very much for the shout out! image

This set draws you in. I always figured I would be the bridesmaid to DC's set.
    Lots of friends over the years from this set, at one point I think I had 12 of the top 20 guys cell numbers. Marc Dubbins (MAD) and I used to talk once a week. Once DC retired his set, I kind of got bored, started selling a few things, figured I would retire my set, then I kept kicking the can deciding to keep it as I love it. I stopped worrying about the running backs, interception and QB sets, but Im not sure if I can ever let go of this set. Who knows, maybe Im keeping the seat warm for that wanker Vince! image

I can also vouch for Dave MRI, great guy. I just received a box of HOF RC"s from him today. Thanks DB.

<< <i>

Ha! Small world man, thanks very much for the shout out! image

This set draws you in. I always figured I would be the bridesmaid to DC's set.
    Lots of friends over the years from this set, at one point I think I had 12 of the top 20 guys cell numbers. Marc Dubbins (MAD) and I used to talk once a week. Once DC retired his set, I kind of got bored, started selling a few things, figured I would retire my set, then I kept kicking the can deciding to keep it as I love it. I stopped worrying about the running backs, interception and QB sets, but Im not sure if I can ever let go of this set. Who knows, maybe Im keeping the seat warm for that wanker Vince! image

I can also vouch for Dave MRI, great guy. I just received a box of HOF RC"s from him today. Thanks DB. >>

You said wanker. +1

• << <i>Who knows, maybe Im keeping the seat warm for that wanker Vince! >>

Only a tosser would use the word "wanker". Just realized how slow my progress has become on this set. What's wrong with me?

National is only 5 months away!!
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.

<< <i>

<< <i>Who knows, maybe Im keeping the seat warm for that wanker Vince! >>

Only a tosser would use the word "wanker". Just realized how slow my progress has become on this set. What's wrong with me?

National is only 5 months away!! >>

The closer you get to completion, the less there is to buy and chase....You reach critical mass and it becomes harder to stay focused.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    J sq funny dude.
    I have to admit I had to look up Wanker..and yes tosser came up also.

As u get closer to 100% and I'm not there.........or the final grade you would like it gets more expensive.

Since I have been doing sets the last several years I can't seem to save up for the bigger hits.

It is a 2 car race in fb rc hof. My chevy vega can't keep up.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • I still need the Nags -- and Joe won't part with it!!
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • come on page turnimage
    To get the page to turn simply change the last number in the web address. For example, the last number on my web address is 409. To get the page to turn, just back off the 409 and type 410. that will give you the next page. Hope that helps....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭

<< <i>I still need the Nags -- and Joe won't part with it!! >>

Ill be buried with that Nags..... and my Largent card image

More trays of shots and less spraying me with the sprinkler head on the golf course Vince, that'll turn me......

Jay, lose those other "sports" and focus on a real mans game, football! You'll be right in the thick of it buddy!
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lose those other "sports" and focus on a real mans game, football! You'll be right in the thick of it buddy! >>

Guess this means you won't be joining us for the Fantasy Gymnastics League this year... The 11-year old Romanian rhythmic gymnast is really coming off the boards quick in mock drafts.

• << <i>Ill be buried with that Nags..... and my Largent card

More trays of shots and less spraying me with the sprinkler head on the golf course Vince, that'll turn me......
    >>

Shots I can do -- sprinkler heads I can't. Actually looking for a few more players this year to ramp up the antics!!
    Finally got my 1962 Shaw. This card is impossible to find centered in mid grade. According to VCP a PSA 7 has not been up since October 2011.

I like mine better than this PSA 6 that I was the under bidder on a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty cranked because the last PSA 6 was two years ago. I am hoping for a 6 on this card but expecting a 5 when I send it in.

PSA 6
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Guys...Bill Willis (Browns) is a member of the Football hall of fame as a player. He did not have a card issued during his playing days. He does, however, have 6 cards (maybe more). 1977 Touchdown, 1982 Hall of Fame Metallic, 1988 and 1989 Swell, 1989 Goal Line HOF and 1991 Enor. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there some others in this set with a "rookie" card issued AFTER their playing days were over? If so, shouldn't Willis have one of the 6 cards above as his "rookie" card?....Thoughts?
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
    There are some "rookie" cards in the set that were issued after a player had already retired. By a quick count I came up with Thorpe, Stydahar, Millner, Hein, Nevers, Friedman, Kinard, Parker, Hutson and Henry. While I am not a fan of "rookie" cards issued after a player's career had already ended, I do understand why these cards are part of the set. They're from iconic vintage sets and they all carry value. To start adding in more modern-era cards though with no value would absolutely cheapen the set. I think we just have to accept that some HOF'ers just never had a card. Cards like the '77 Willis can always be added to the HOF Players set.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Interesting take, Andy....although that same thinking 30 years ago would've blocked all those cards you mentioned.....LOL...in 1983 (30 years ago) those 1955 Topps AA cards were 28 years old. today, the 1977 Touchdown card is 36 years old. Just some food for thought. I sold off my set years ago, so I have no dog in the fight, but as a Browns fan I would like to see a great player and pioneer (and one of the first blacks in ANY pro sport) be recognized in the set.
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
    30 years ago, the '55 Topps AA cards were valuable and desirable. That's an iconic set. None of the Willis cards you mentioned are even from mainstream sets, which would automatically exclude them from consideration. It does stink. I wish all of these guys had cards issued during their playing days. But it is what it is.

<< <i>30 years ago, the '55 Topps AA cards were valuable and desirable. That's an iconic set. None of the Willis cards you mentioned are even from mainstream sets, which would automatically exclude them from consideration. It does stink. I wish all of these guys had cards issued during their playing days. But it is what it is. >>

• Guys at some point this will come down to a vote and who knows what will happen?

The Ohio State ALL-Time Greats set just got watered down with these "greats"

Todd Bell
    John Frank
    Raymont Harris
    Ben Hartsock
    Thaddeus Gibson
    Terrelle Pryor
    Cameron Heyward
    DeVier Posey

Not sure that some of them - Gibson or Pryor have ever started an NFL game let alone be greats in college. In my opinion, Pryor should be wiped from the history books like his victories!
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,
    I think it is time for you to take the plunge into the college football HOF set.
    This set isn't watered down, only HOFers.
    Belive it or not I acutualy had a vote for the college football HOF last year, membership cost me $30.00, lol.
    By the way, the following Ohio state FB players are on the ballot for induction this year:
    Tom Cousineau
    Jim Otis
    Orlando Pace

I'm going to the college football HOF sometime in the summer, before it moves from Notre Dame to Atlanta, GA the following year.
    bump.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Thanks Dave.
  • Hello everyone,

Long time lurker. I wanted to take some time and write a post as a Thank you for a treasure trove of wonderful information. I'm 25, and have been working for much of my life on a Hall of Fame rookie set of both players/coaches/contributors. 68 To go counting the ones I have either incoming or in inventory at COMC. But i've enjoyed knocking down this set and learned a great deal. I don't collect graded unless I feel it's a necessity like with the 1990 score supplemental Emmitt Smith.

But again, thank you all for inspiration and information over the years.

Here's my collection thus far, just for kicks. I've also started the Heisman project recently thanks to the Set registry, and it's also been a fun side project.
    http://dascollectibles.wordpress.com/sports-cards/hall-of-fame-football-rookies/

Wow, almost a month without a reply to this thread. Just pulled down a mega deal. I picked up 11 cards that I needed and three upgrades. That will vault me up to 27th from 31st in on swift swoop. I am a smidge from the top 25 which has been my goal for this set from the beginning. I also past the 80% completion. The Selmon and Sanders removed two cards with qualifiers. The Mackey upgrades a four to a six.

I am particularly excited about the Battles card. Just love that set and got the card for $85. $495 for all of the cards below. And Ralph Sanchez sent them to me without payment so I could look at them in hand. I turned down a few and sent back to him. I love this hobby when you can send nearly a thousand dollars in the mail and TRUST the guy to not screw you.

Take a peek at my pick ups.