Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Some discussion on the subject from the PFRA board:

link
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Anyone see the raw Hutchinson on Ebay. Darn thing got crimped by the pack sealer. Been looking for a raw one for some time and this is what I get ;-)
    I was going through my list of cards needed for the HOF and I across Lynn Swan. Honestly, why is he in the HOF again?
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going through my list of cards needed for the HOF and I across Lynn Swan. Honestly, why is he in the HOF again? >>

My thoughts EXACTLY. I put him on the list of head scratcher inductees that also includes Hornung, Namath and Floyd Little.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>

<< <i>I was going through my list of cards needed for the HOF and I across Lynn Swan. Honestly, why is he in the HOF again? >>

My thoughts EXACTLY. I put him on the list of head scratcher inductees that also includes Hornung, Namath and Floyd Little. >>

You can add Fred Dean and Dick LeBeau to that list too.
  • Hey HOF Guys,

Just peeking in and taking a walk down memory lane ... reading through some of these old football threads that I used to love to follow. It's great to see some of the same older names still collecting and talking about the HOF rookies, and a bunch of new names bringing fresh collecting blood into the hobby.

I wish you all much luck getting your sets completed. It's a tough road sometimes, but a great set indeed!

Do you guys think it's too early to submit a request for RG III to be added to the set? ;-)

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • I agree with the other names as head scratchers, but I think Dick leBeau should be in the HOF. He was a 3 time pro bowler and had 62 interceptions as a player, but then what he has done as a defensive coordinator in an offensive world has revolutionalized that side of the ball, much the way the forward pass did to offense.

The two seniors picked this year are also head scratchers!

<< <i> agree with the other names as head scratchers, but I think Dick leBeau should be in the HOF. He was a 3 time pro bowler and had 62 interceptions as a player, but then what he has done as a defensive coordinator in an offensive world has revolutionalized that side of the ball, much the way the forward pass did to offense.
    >>

+1
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Modern-era nominees for Class of 2013

link
    This is the nicest 7 I have seen on this card. I predict it will reside in an 8 holder soon.

NA:US:3160">Ebay Link
  • ffishonnffishonn Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I'm offerig up this 62 Tarkenton psa 8 Great centering maybe the best on one of these I've seen and nice sharp corners. I'd take $775 via payapl gift. Pm me with questions.

Trying to help the page turn
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Nice article in the new SMR on HOF Rookies......loved the quotes from my pal from OZ, Vince.

It was a decent article. Though I don't get the use of non HOF'ers in the pics. 1950 Doak Walker, 1951 Tom Landry is not even in the set. And then a 1952 Van Brocklin on the same line as the 1951????
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Are you, or did you snag that Swann 7? I have an 8 that I have been dying to upgrade to a 9.
    I did not snag the Swann. I tried, but failed. I won't pay big money for Swann because I don't think he deserves to be in the HOF but the darn card has a decent tag on it even a PSA 7.

For $18.50 I could not hold back. One more down.
    Very nice pick up on the Stautner. I just snagged a PSA 5 Unitas RC....didn't get a deal like you did, but still stoked to get it.
    Never too early to predict the next HOF class. Here's my take:

L. Allen, Ogden, Haley, Carter, Bettis and Culp (Two offensive linemen that were too dominant to pass up even once IMO, two offensive skills players, and two defensive representatives).

Second tier possibilities: Parcells, D. Robinson, Greene, A. Williams, Reed, T. Brown, Sapp, Strahan and Lynch

If HOF voting has taught us anything over the years, it's that you just never know. So I could be way off base. image
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the last few PSA 10 Steve Hutchinsons have sold for?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Does anyone know what the last few PSA 10 Steve Hutchinsons have sold for? >>

$279 is ringing in my head.
    You better see a doctor about that.....image

Thanks for the info, I just had one pop.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    dave I think Troy is right.

it was frank carvells if I remember
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Ah for the good old days when violence in football was glorified:

Link
    Milestone for me. I hit 75% today. Got a Lynn Swann PSA 7 that put me over the hump. I have a few more at PSA now and an Otto on the way so 80% is coming sooner rather than later.
    Congrats on the 75%
    Considering the years this set goes back to and the scarcity of some of them...quite an achievement.

my HOF predictions: Allen, Ogden, Saap, Strahan, Parcells and Culp
    strong 2nd place to Carter, Reed, and Haley

I just don't see Bettis as a hofer.

some of the finalists were clearly NOT hof players.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>Congrats on the 75%
    Considering the years this set goes back to and the scarcity of some of them...quite an achievement.

my HOF predictions: Allen, Ogden, Saap, Strahan, Parcells and Culp
    strong 2nd place to Carter, Reed, and Haley

I just don't see Bettis as a hofer.

some of the finalists were clearly NOT hof players. >>

Thanks,

I will predict the following for enshrinement this year.

Ogden, Saap, Allen, Haley, Carter and Culp
    Congrats on the 75%. Wish I was that close. Waiting on my Dan Hampton PSA 9 to arrive, then the 8 is for sale.
    as for the violence in the NFL back in the day.....I agree, It was very brutal compared to today's game. I watched some vintage footage, and I, for the life of me, don't know how Fran Tarkenton ever survived his NFL career....WOW
    Great article on Ray Guy

Guy
    Thanks for the article on Ray Guy.

As a lifelong raider fan I would say stabler is borderline for the hof.

read this article and then say stats are the pure determining factor for election.

Long before the long snap was perfected how many bad snaps did guy get? tons. he was such a good athlete

that he picked them up and punted. I saw severaly times a snap went over his head.....he went back and got it....

then ran for a 1st down. remeber the yepremian play??? kickers normaly are that bad at anythng but what they do.

not Guy. as the 3rd string qb...that gave the raiders another position player all the other teams had to have but not the raiders.

I remember seeing Guy playing qb in some games.

Now oaklands Lechler is putting up great punter stats.........and probably will hurt Guys chances even more.

In todays straight down the field punting game.....if thats all Guy had to do he would have better stats than Lechler.

Ray Guy deserves another look.

next old film.....notice his hang time. In the old days Guy would punt and then the TV station would take a 30 second commercial break befor the catch.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • anyone need need one of these

Dead on centering $165 payapl gift
  • come on page turn!!!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    If I didn't have an 8.5 already I'd be all over that Roosevelt Brown. Beautiful card.
    Anyone know when they'll be announcing the semifinalists? I thought it might happen this past weekend, but I haven't seen anything.
    Class of 2013 Selection Process Timeline:

ENSHRINEMENT
    Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013 – The enshrinement of the Class of 2013 highlights a 10-day festival in Canton, Ohio. The 2013 Enshrinement Festival will include nearly 20 public events and feature the largest gathering of Hall of Famers together in the one location as part of the Golden Anniversary Reunion in Canton.

CLASS ANNOUNCED
    Feb. 2, 2013 – The 44-member Selection Committee holds its annual selection meeting at the site of the Super Bowl. The accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche will tabulate the results and present the sealed envelope containing the names of the newly-elected class to the Hall of Fame’s President/Executive Director Steve Perry during a live, nationally-televised announcement show from Super Bowl media headquarters in New Orleans.

FINALISTS
    Jan. 2013 – The list of 15 modern-era candidates will be released. That group, along with the two seniors, will be the list considered by the Hall of Fame’s selection committee during its annual meeting.

SEMIFINALISTS
    Nov. 2012 – The list of modern-era candidates will be narrowed to 25.

PRELIMINARY MODERN-ERA NOMINEES
    Sept. 27, 2012 – A list of 127 modern-era nominees includes 13 first-year eligible candidates such as Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, and Morten Andersen.

SENIOR CANDIDATES
    Aug. 22, 2012 – Defensive tackle Curley Culp and linebacker Dave Robinson are named as the senior’s candidate following the annual Hall of Fame Senior Committee meeting in Canton.

Thanks for posting. I know it's November, but I was looking for a date. I'm guessing the semifinalists will be announced by Sunday.
    Semifinalist list, hot off the presses:

Semifinalists
    What happened to Publius, he deleted his set.
    He has been selling for awhile.

<< <i>What happened to Publius, he deleted his set. >>

I e-mailed him twice over the past couple weeks, but did not hear back either time.

Guard Larry Allen, kicker Morten Andersen, safety John Lynch, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, and defensive end Michael Strahan were the newcomers to the list.

Former Chiefs and Raiders cornerback Albert Lewis is also a semifinalist for the first time, though he’s previously been eligible.

The remaining 20 have been semifinalists before, including last year’s 10 finalists who missed the final cut: Running back Jerome Bettis, wide receivers Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Andre Reed, guard Will Shields, defensive end Charles Haley, linebacker Kevin Greene, cornerback Aeneas Williams along with Bill Parcells and Ed DeBartolo, Jr.

The other 10 semifinalsts are: Safety Steve At water, coach Don Coryell, running backs Roger Craig and Terrell Davis, tackle Joe Jacoby, linebacker Karl Mecklenburg, owner Art Modell, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, special teamer Steve Tasker and executive George Young.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Picked up another affordable one. PSA 6 Joe Schmidt for $14 delivered.

I down graded my Phios to a 4 OC from a 5.5. The card has been dropping in value and wanted to get my ROI on my $30 investment of a cracked SGC 30 :-)

BTW, I see Tasker is on the list. There should be no special teams players on the list until Ray Guy gets in. The voters who say special teams guys don't deserve to get it better get it right next year.
    The request for Reggie Wayne to the all time WR group. Is that the same card we will be using for his card for the HOF Rookie set? 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor?

<< <i>The request for Reggie Wayne to the all time WR group. Is that the same card we will be using for his card for the HOF Rookie set? 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor? >>

Yes. It's his key rookie card and the one currently used in the All-Time Colts set.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    A note on 2001 Topps Chrome FB - the base rookie cards are refractors. It's not a parallel in that set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A note on 2001 Topps Chrome FB - the base rookie cards are refractors. It's not a parallel in that set. >>

One of the nicest modern sets containing key RCs, imo. The L/R centering is often terrible so it isn't a lock that if you get your hand on a card, it will be a lock 9 or 10.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure how many noticed or even cared that Steven Jackson passed 10,000 yards in his career this past weekend. A great player who has had the misfortune of playing on some terrible teams.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.

<< <i>I am not sure how many noticed or even cared that Steven Jackson passed 10,000 yards in his career this past weekend. A great player who has had the misfortune of playing on some terrible teams. >>

A very nice accomplishment for a very consistent player. Had SJ played for better teams, I have little doubt that he'd be headed to the HOF. As it stands, I think he'll fall short - unless he can somehow get up to around 13,000 yards and bump his lowly TD total up. That would require a Corey Dillon-esque late career move to a high-powered offense.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Would you consider SJ and Eddie George about the same caliber (ie. not very good teams)? George did make it to one Super Bowl, but that's about it for the Titans/Oilers.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06