Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    My guesses:

Stanfel
    Butler
    Parcells
    Martin
    Roaf
    Dawson
    Reed

I think Haley, Kennedy or Carter could sneak in in place of one of these guys. I really can't see anyone else getting in this year. I realize it's a long shot for 2 offensive linemen to get elected but the voters always do something to surprise us. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cris Carter should have gone in first ballot. If I'm not mistaken they didn't even use all five slots the first year he was eligible. He was head and shoulders a better receiver than Reed. But I guess he has to wait because Reed's waited longer. I hate that they do that.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My guesses:

Stanfel
    Butler
    Parcells
    Martin
    Roaf
    Dawson
    Reed

>>

No modern defensive player? Won't happen...Look how many are finalists...

They are about 3 hours into the meeting. We should have some info once they go to break...No electronic devices allowed in the meeting...lol...TOP SECRET STUFF I guess...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Lot of interesting news the last day, mostly local articles in support of their player of course, but interesting reading. Parcells does seem to be getting the most press overall, and was an amazing coach. I would argue the best in the last 25 years.

I will go with...

Jack Butler
    Dick Stanfel
    Bill Parcells
    Curtis Martin

Dermontti Dawson
    Andre Reed

I think its fair to say Curtis Martin is a lock. The talk is on Bettis defending him on why he should or what his signature moment was. Not a good position to be in between the two.

Wish I could find a Charles Haley PSA 9, but I haven't seen one in several months. I can see the first dozen selling (if he is elected) in the $50 range now, much like Ricky Jackson did, who just the last couple months came down to more realistic prices (~$30 in 9).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Lot of interesting news the last day, mostly local articles in support of their player of course, but interesting reading. Parcells does seem to be getting the most press overall, and was an amazing coach. I would argue the best in the last 25 years.

I will go with...

Jack Butler
    Dick Stanfel
    Bill Parcells
    Curtis Martin

Dermontti Dawson
    Andre Reed

I think its fair to say Curtis Martin is a lock. The talk is on Bettis defending him on why he should or what his signature moment was. Not a good position to be in between the two.

Wish I could find a Charles Haley PSA 9, but I haven't seen one in several months. I can see the first dozen selling (if he is elected) in the $50 range now, much like Ricky Jackson did, who just the last couple months came down to more realistic prices (~$30 in 9). >>

Gonna be a bunch of ticked off voters and candidates if they only select 4 modern players instead of 5. Peter King also mentioned the possibility in his story yesterday. Last time it happened was Class of 2005, when the maximum was 4 modern players and both Harry Carson and Michael Irvin made the final 4 but did not get the 80%. It created a firestorm with multiple voters quitting the committee. Right now the back up on HOF worthy players is just too deep. To waste an opportunity or a spot after they already voted a guy into the top 5 would be a huge mistake and likely force changes to the current system, which is exactly what happened after Irvin and Carson didn't get the 80%...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Meeting is over. Announcement in under an hour.

Trying to find out who made the cut down to 10 and to 5..
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    My inside sources tell me it's:

C. Martin
    Roaf
    Cris Carter
    Parcells
    Kennedy
    Butler
    Stanfel
  • Options

<< <i>My inside sources tell me it's:

C. Martin
    Roaf
    Cris Carter
    Parcells
    Kennedy
    Butler
    Stanfel >>

If true, will be a solid class. Will like to see if Reed and Dawson were also in final 10 and got leapfrogged by Roaf and Carter.
  • Options
    Roaf made final 5. Confirmed.
  • Options
    Tim Brown and Will Shields not in final 5. Confirmed.
  • Options
    Final 10:

Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Cris Carter
    Bill Parcells
    Andre Reed
    Dermontti Dawson
    Charles Haley
    Cortez Kennedy
    Aeneas Williams
    Chris Doleman
  • Options
    Looking at final 10...

The players who finished 6-10 all return. Parcells makes it as first timer. Cris Carter returns after 2 years of not making final 10, and 3 defensive guys move up the ladded. Haley, Doleman and Williams.

We may be looking at 2 defensive players getting in.

Jason
  • Options
    Final 5...WOW

Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Dermontti Dawson
    Cortez Kennedy
    Chris Doleman
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see Dawson get in
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Surprised, but happy to see two linemen and no receivers. Wow!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Jack Butler makes it as the only Senior...I see a change in the Senior Committee process coming...i think they finally go back to 1 Senior and add 1 Coach/Owner/Contributor...

Jason
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    It looks like Stanfel will never get in. Not sure what the voters have against him.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>My inside sources tell me it's:

C. Martin
    Roaf
    Cris Carter
    Parcells
    Kennedy
    Butler
    Stanfel >>

My wife was wrong yet again! 4 out of 7, not too good.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like Stanfel will never get in. Not sure what the voters have against him. >>

Number of games played unfortunately...Not enough.
  • Options

<< <i>Jack Butler makes it as the only Senior...I see a change in the Senior Committee process coming...i think they finally go back to 1 Senior and add 1 Coach/Owner/Contributor... >>

I sure hope so. This is the second time in the last few years where a player was a senior finalist for a second time (Marshall Goldberg was the other) and didn't get in. What a waste of a spot. At the very least there should be a rule where you only get one crack at being a senior finalist. One senior finalist and one coach/owner/contributor sounds like a good way to go.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Nice class overall. No receiver is kinda a shock, but I guess it shouldn't be. The Hall is pretty receiver unfriendly.

Too bad Shields didn't make the final 10, and Parcells got the snub. Parcells record is really impressive if you look at the teams he coached before he got there.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like Stanfel will never get in. Not sure what the voters have against him. >>

Number of games played unfortunately...Not enough. >>

I really don't believe that's a fair argument, especially when players like Doak Walker are already in the HOF.

Shorter careers for guys from the 1950's and earlier isn't out of the norm b/c of military duty or a chance to pursue another (more stable) career.

title.
  • Options
    Class of 2013?

Allen
    Ogden
    Carter
    Haley
    Williams
  • Options

<< <i>Class of 2013?

Allen
    Ogden
    Carter
    Haley
    Williams >>

Mine:
    Jon Ogden
    Michael Strahan
    Larry Allen
    Aeneas Williams
    Andre Reed

Bill Parcells- Coach/contributor
    Ken Anderson- Senior

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I really don't believe that's a fair argument, especially when players like Doak Walker are already in the HOF.

Shorter careers for guys from the 1950's and earlier isn't out of the norm b/c of military duty or a chance to pursue another (more stable) career. >>

Agreed. I don't understand what they are doing. The senior committee needs to grow in size, or they need to start polling their fellow voters before making a decision. Either make better choices or do away with the committee altogether and but all modern and senior players all in the same category. Expand the max to 6, then create the coach/owner/contributor category.

If only I were king for a day...hahaha
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Shorter careers for guys from the 1950's and earlier isn't out of the norm b/c of military duty or a chance to pursue another (more stable) career. >>

Agreed. I don't understand what they are doing. The senior committee needs to grow in size, or they need to start polling their fellow voters before making a decision. Either make better choices or do away with the committee altogether and but all modern and senior players all in the same category. Expand the max to 6, then create the coach/owner/contributor category.

If only I were king for a day...hahaha >>

that makes too much sense. It will never happen.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>

that makes too much sense. It will never happen. >>

No probably not.

I do think today will be the final straw for putting coach/owner/contributors in their own category separate from players. This has been talked about in the past by the committee. Last I heard, the proposition was to go back to 1 Senior and use that 2nd senior slot for the coach/contributor. I've also heard they might rotate it. Example, even years would be 2 senior selections, 0 coach/owner, odd years would be 1 senior, 1 coach/owner/referee/NFL Films guy/etc.

The modern selection process likely won't change. They love the controversy and attention it brings to the HOF.

Let's hope they do something..Parcells isn't a HOF coach? Tagliabue isn't worthy? They are. Just not in comparison to some of the all-time great players that are on the ballot every year. Ed Sabol and Ralph Wilson get in...Parcells doesn't? It doesn't make sense. Let's hope the outrage over Parcells, as well as from the Senior Committee with Stanfel missing again is enough to push the changes into action. The proof is in the result of this years vote.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jack Butler makes it as the only Senior...I see a change in the Senior Committee process coming...i think they finally go back to 1 Senior and add 1 Coach/Owner/Contributor... >>

I sure hope so. This is the second time in the last few years where a player was a senior finalist for a second time (Marshall Goldberg was the other) and didn't get in. What a waste of a spot. At the very least there should be a rule where you only get one crack at being a senior finalist. One senior finalist and one coach/owner/contributor sounds like a good way to go. >>

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. I have no problem at all with a guy being nominated a second time as a Senior nominee. History has also shown, that TWICE the selectors were to ignorant not to elect a nominee the FIRST time he was a nominee, but they rectified their mistake, and ELECTED him when he was nominated a SECOND time. If you don't know their football biogrophies, read them, and tell me how Lou Creekmur and Henry Jordan DON'T belong in the Hall of Fame. They SHOULD have been elected the FIRST time. The problem isn't with the rules on who or how they are nominated, the problem is to many of the selectors are just COMPLETE IDIOTS when it comes to the HISTORY of the NFL.
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If only I were king for a day...hahaha >>

Sounds like an interesting change.

title.
  • Options
    I hear where you're coming from and agree that some of the voters are idiots - but I stand by what I wrote. If you don't make the HOF during all your years of modern eligibility and then once again get shut out as a senior finalist then that should be it. I'm not saying it's right because players like Jordan and Creekmur are both deserving but it's the way it should be. There are plenty of deserving senior nominees and to nominate players more than once and then not vote them in a second time is absurd. It's a slap in the face to all the deserving players still waiting to get in.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for Stanfel. How can the voters put him through the process twice and reject him each time? Seems cruel. If you get that far a second time, you should be good enough to get in, otherwise, why bother?
    Where's the love for Tim Brown?
    I'm a huge Strahan fan, got to know him well when I was covering the Giants as a photographer for an on line pub but I don't think he is a first timer. Nor Sapp for that matter.
    Allen and Ogden should be shoo-ins.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Dermontti Dawson
    Cortez Kennedy
    Chris Doleman

Wow, Doleman was not on my top five Radar. Top 15 yes but not top five yet. This is the first time I have all of the cards prior to them being added to the set :-) - Well except the Senior guy
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

that makes too much sense. It will never happen. >>

No probably not.

I do think today will be the final straw for putting coach/owner/contributors in their own category separate from players. This has been talked about in the past by the committee. Last I heard, the proposition was to go back to 1 Senior and use that 2nd senior slot for the coach/contributor. I've also heard they might rotate it. Example, even years would be 2 senior selections, 0 coach/owner, odd years would be 1 senior, 1 coach/owner/referee/NFL Films guy/etc.

The modern selection process likely won't change. They love the controversy and attention it brings to the HOF.

Let's hope they do something..Parcells isn't a HOF coach? Tagliabue isn't worthy? They are. Just not in comparison to some of the all-time great players that are on the ballot every year. Ed Sabol and Ralph Wilson get in...Parcells doesn't? It doesn't make sense. Let's hope the outrage over Parcells, as well as from the Senior Committee with Stanfel missing again is enough to push the changes into action. The proof is in the result of this years vote. >>

i too would like to see a change. i understand that there were a lot of guys that deserve some love from the olde age of the NFL but were passed over in the early years of the HOF by the greats of the greats. so they needed another way to get in without have to go up against the current lot of greats. however, most of these guys have had their shot for quite awhile...more so guys from the 50's and up. even as a huge Packers fan I am even referring to a Kramer. yes there are some that probably should be in but there are some pretty good pre 50's guys that could say that too and most of them never come up for SR consideration much. that said i understand it is probably the way most Oline and Safeties are going to get in. but after awhile cant we just all say that a player has gotten enough chances and has been passed over?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    FYI fellas, with me mostly out of the set and no longer having a vested interest. I won't be requesting the additions of the new HOFers this year. Will need someone else to take the reigns for this. Updating grade weights annually, running the polls for modern and senior future guys too. Would be great if someone would be willing to step up and be the care taker of the sets.

I would hate to want to return to collecting it one day and see these HOF sets jacked up like the key card sets have gotten. The modern poll you ran here was much appreciated, although probably would have gotten a better response if you started its own thread. The outcome looks right though, so maybe not necessary. I was running those polls in January for the modern guys (after the All=Pro teams were released) and in early September for the Senior guys after the Senior Committee announced the 2 senior candidates for the next class.

For updating the grade weights, was typically doing that in June/July After the Registry awards deadline for the year. Just a matter of bouncing the PSA 8 SMR prices and making any changes. Tried numerous times to use VCP in PSA 8, but Joe O. would never buy off on it. Maybe one of you can have better luck in getting the weights reflecting reality.

Jason
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I think Eli just punched his ticket to the HOF.......Cant believe I just said that.

2 time Super Bowl MVP......Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and ..........................ELI!!

Congrats to the Giants and their fans. I love this game.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I think Eli just punched his ticket to the HOF.......Cant believe I just said that.

2 time Super Bowl MVP......Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and ..........................ELI!!

Congrats to the Giants and their fans. I love this game. >>

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know 2x SB mvp even.
    Somehow I can't at this point put Eli in the same room as the QB's above mentioned.

If he does.........will big brother be big poison and he little poison?

Refering to BB Waner Bros......as far as I know the only brothers in a HOF.

There has been 3 generations of pro ball players......Boone's in BB and many father/son's or Granpy.

Trivia....is there any other sport that has 2 related people in the HOF ? not cousins or uncles.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    little eli looks to have come out on top in the manning family. peyton might still end up with the career stats line but eli is the one to have slain peytons arch enemy. the one peyton could almost never beat in the playoffs.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I sent the request to PSA to add the new HOF'ers to the HOF rookies set. Same cards used in the Modern and Senior sets.
  • Options
    So do we need to vote to add Eli to the Future HOF set?
  • Options

<< <i>So do we need to vote to add Eli to the Future HOF set?

<< <i>

Unfortunately this kid will get in. I don't think he belongs, he did win the big one, twice and against Brady both times.
  • Options
    Updated totals:

Ware: 7
    Allen: 5
    Wayne: 1
    Justin Smith: 1
    London Fletcher: 1

Any votes for E. Manning after the win?

title.
  • Options

<< <i>So do we need to vote to add Eli to the Future HOF set? >>

Just keep in mind, if he doesn;t get the votes, gonna be awhile before you get to vote again. In my past experience, PSA isn't going to send out a poll for the same player every year...If you think he will get the votes, I'd say go for it...Hard to say if he would or wouldn't at this point.

Let's compare him to Big Ben who is already on the set.

Ben- 80-33 regular season record. 3 Super Bowls, 2 Championships. 1 Super Bowl MVP. 2 Pro Bowls. 0 First Team All-Pro. 26,500 Pass yards. 165TD-100INT
    Eli- 69-50 regular season record. 2 Super Bowls, 2 Championships. 2 Super Bowl MVP. 2 Pro Bowls. 0 First Team All-Pro. 27,500 pass yards. 185TD-129INT

Pretty comparable...

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI..... Big Ben does not have a SB MVP. SB40 was Hines Ward and SB43 was Santonio Holmes. I felt he deserved that honor in 2009
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>FYI..... Big Ben does not have a SB MVP. SB40 was Hines Ward and SB43 was Santonio Holmes. I felt he deserved that honor in 2009 >>

And Aaron Rodgers was the MVP of the one he lost imageimage
  • Options
    I would vote to add Eli.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    W/L almost the same zero 1st team AP just 2 pb
    no way do I add eli
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>FYI..... Big Ben does not have a SB MVP. SB40 was Hines Ward and SB43 was Santonio Holmes. I felt he deserved that honor in 2009 >>

You're right. Thanks for clarifying.

So how do we quantify Ben being on the set and Eli off? Seems Eli is equal to if not more deserving, no?

Jason

• Options

<< <i>I would vote to add Eli. >>

Same here.

That's at least 2 for Eli.

title.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I'll vote for ware and allen but will hold off on Eli.........

Eli has probably 5-6 years left. It may take another 2 years of solid play for me to give him my vote. He's definatly on the fence at this point and could fall either way for me.

However, If Im conservative...........Eli with 4 more years........Approx 100 more TD's, Maybe 15K yards. Those numbers alone put him near the top.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll vote for ware and allen but will hold off on Eli.........

Eli has probably 5-6 years left. It may take another 2 years of solid play for me to give him my vote. He's definatly on the fence at this point and could fall either way for me.

However, If Im conservative...........Eli with 4 more years........Approx 100 more TD's, Maybe 15K yards. Those numbers alone put him near the top. >>

So have to ask again, how exactly does Roethlisbreger belong on the set then? Eli has more yds and TDs right now....

When we voted Big Ben onto the set, the votes were: 17 to add Ben, 5 votes to not add.

Votes to add: jasp24, rexvos, davemri, vjsteele4, NickM, Publis, saucywombat, alifaxwa2, dfr52, gosteelers, BiggelowBiggers1, gregm13

Did NOT vote to add: jay0971, jradke4, FavrefFan1971, SooperDave, shaqrotn77

For those who didn't vote ben on, totally makes sense that they also wouldn't vote Eli on. I full understand and have no argument as it is a valid opinion. But for those who voted Ben on, how exactly do you NOT vote for Eli? I don't understand. Can you please explain your reasoning?

Thanks,
    Jason