Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    The individual Team HOF sets. Why are they weighted with all of the cards at one (1)???

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The individual Team HOF sets. Why are they weighted with all of the cards at one (1)??? >>

Probably the same reason the Broncos HOF set lists Tony Dorsett, and the Packers HOF set does NOT list Len Ford....Do the math, I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion that I have...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Jason, must be the same reason Ted Hendricks is not in the Packer see too? :-)

<< <i>Jason, must be the same reason Ted Hendricks is not in the Packer see too? :-) >>

Bingo...Makes TOTAL sense right???? image
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>

<< <i>Jason, must be the same reason Ted Hendricks is not in the Packer see too? :-) >>

Bingo...Makes TOTAL sense right???? image >>

In the interest of trying to make sense of things, Cosetta fixed both the Broncos and Jets HOF team sets today. To reflect the actual Pro Football HOF website concerning players/coaches who were SIGNIFICANT contributors to a specific team and removing the one year wonder guys like Tony Dorsett from the Broncos and Art Monk from the Jets...Now all the TEAM HOF sets are true Team HOF sets.

Kudos to Cosetta, still the one bright and shining example of common sense in Newport Beach...lol

Jason

<< <i>The individual Team HOF sets. Why are they weighted with all of the cards at one (1)??? >>

If someone were willing to put together spreadsheets using SMR values for each set and send to PSA, I'm pretty sure they would implement the grade weights. I don't and won't have time until maybe August.

Jason
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is dying. So I will post my latest. A pop of only 4.
    Special thanks to Andy for subbing some cards for me. I did get some nice grades on a few things I will offer to fellow members on some
    other stuff. This card was just lying around in a SGC holder for years.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Outstanding card! Let me know whatcha got for the extras.
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Awesome looking Ford, was it a 9 in the SGC holder? Also, in regards to your comment, I must admit it's tough to get excited about football with what's happening right now. I guess $9 Billion isn't enough to divide!!

Doc
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see this thread get bumped. I thought all the HOF RC collectors got booted off or something. I haven't picked up much from this set lately except for this...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to see this thread get bumped. I thought all the HOF RC collectors got booted off or something. I haven't picked up much from this set lately except for this...

image >>

YOWZA!!!!

Congrats!!! Only the top card in the football side of the hobby! Beauty!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

In the interest of trying to make sense of things, Cosetta fixed both the Broncos and Jets HOF team sets today. To reflect the actual Pro Football HOF website concerning players/coaches who were SIGNIFICANT contributors to a specific team and removing the one year wonder guys like Tony Dorsett from the Broncos and Art Monk from the Jets...Now all the TEAM HOF sets are true Team HOF sets.

Kudos to Cosetta, still the one bright and shining example of common sense in Newport Beach...lol

Jason >>

Well, I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with deleting these players.

Take the Chargers for instance. John Unitas, Deacon Jones and John Mackey played for the Chargers and are in the HOF. Most importantly, they appeared on cards as Chargers (Unitas in 1973/74 Topps, Jones 1972/73/74 Topps and Mackey 1973 Topps); therefore, I feel they should be represented in the Chargers HOF team set. Now, if a player did not appear on a card with a particular team; for instance, if Franco Harris did not appear on a card as a Seahawk, then he should not be in the Seahawks' HOF team set. If however, he did appear on a card as a Seahawk, then he should be in their HOF team set.

Edited to add:

The one stipulation I would make is that if the player is included in the team's set, then their first card with that team should be the one reflected in the set. For instance, if the Chargers HOF team set requires rookie cards of each player, their first card with the Chargers should be the one for the set. It's always bugged me that with the All-Time Chargers set for instance, I need the Topps 1977 Chuck Muncie and the 1980 Wes Chandler, when these cards show them as Saints. The set should have the Topps 1981 Muncie and 1982 Chandler cards, since those are their first cards as Chargers.

Steve
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to see this thread get bumped. I thought all the HOF RC collectors got booted off or something. I haven't picked up much from this set lately except for this...

image >>

SHOWOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

I guess if you're gonna buy only one card, that's a darn good one to pick! image

Steve
    Dave, that's a great looking 5, nice centering! I see you were selling your other one. I'd love to have a great 5 like that one!!

Doc
    I agree who knows what gonna happen to FB this year. Greedy sob's
    well dave great card...ya trumped me in my one hour of glory of a nice new card.
    The cards I have will be on the b-s-t thread. Not supposed to be here. I have tons of psa rc hof so pm me with what u r looking for (and grade wanted).
    just way to much to list.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    FYI Collectors Showcase of America is hosting a shoe in Edison,NJ June10-12 with a large number of current and future HOFers.
    www.CSAShows.com
    Sorry Jay, Didnt mean to steal your spotlight. I'm just glad the thread got bumped. Its funny, The first 2 years of this thread garnered 5K posts. We've had 2.5K posts in the last 3.5 years.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    dave. No offense at all. Just kidding. I am glad 2 c nice cards put up by fellow members.
    It's not often the holly grail get seen in a high grade for that card.

Here is a dissapointment. This card was in a holder that doesn't do neg qual. Just wanted a straight crossover.
    I thought PSA would be a little lenient as I own many straight non qualif with more gum marks than this.

Front is a beaut. Now the bad part.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    That's too bad Jay, I would hardly say it detracts from the overall card, great centering. I've never really cared what the back of the card looks like anyway, who looks at the back!!

Doc
    I agree. Have many that have the stains on the back and the grade wasn't affected.
    Is this worth a resub? Problem is I'm not a psa member and have to ship to and from.
    PSA also did this with a 54 j Christensen with even less stains. The values get absolutely crushed.
    I am not really complaining as I did agree with 90% of the total sub.

If anyone is interested in the atkins let me know.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

image >>

WOW, MONSTER card Dave...Gorgeous too!

Congrats on the pickup, super tough to find much less afford!
    Jason

<< <i>

Take the Chargers for instance. John Unitas, Deacon Jones and John Mackey played for the Chargers and are in the HOF. Most importantly, they appeared on cards as Chargers (Unitas in 1973/74 Topps, Jones 1972/73/74 Topps and Mackey 1973 Topps); therefore, I feel they should be represented in the Chargers HOF team set. Now, if a player did not appear on a card with a particular team; for instance, if Franco Harris did not appear on a card as a Seahawk, then he should not be in the Seahawks' HOF team set. If however, he did appear on a card as a Seahawk, then he should be in their HOF team set.

Edited to add:

The one stipulation I would make is that if the player is included in the team's set, then their first card with that team should be the one reflected in the set. For instance, if the Chargers HOF team set requires rookie cards of each player, their first card with the Chargers should be the one for the set. It's always bugged me that with the All-Time Chargers set for instance, I need the Topps 1977 Chuck Muncie and the 1980 Wes Chandler, when these cards show them as Saints. The set should have the Topps 1981 Muncie and 1982 Chandler cards, since those are their first cards as Chargers.

Steve >>

Steve, the Pro Football HOF defines SIGNIFICANT contributers to individual franchises. The HOF team sets are comprised of those significant contributers from each team. Not of any player who ever played a game for a franchise.

As far as the cards go, those sets are ROOKIE CARD sets, therefore, the cards you have identified would not fit. As they are not rookies. Players change teams, now more often than ever. But rookie cards and how they are defined I have not seen those change.

Jason
    The atkins has been sold. If something changes I will offer it here first.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

Edited to add:

Steve >>

Steve,

If you want only cards with the players in the chargers unis' then start a new set like we did for the Packers HOF. Note this is not the Packers in Canton...this the Packers own HOF memebers. We made the set where the cards are either RC's or first card in a Packer uniform (for those that had cards with other teams before joining the Packers).

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    All,

I have decided to sell my graded card collection except for my Dan Marino cards. Over the past 5 years, my focus has shifted to autographed vintage football cards and I have built a pretty substantial collection. I want to focus all of my energies on my autographed cards and will begin to sell off my graded cards to fund my autographed card collection. You can click a link to my sets below - and please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com with any questions or offers. Please be fair in your offers and I will cover shipping costs.

Thanks and good luck in your collections.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 304 ✭✭
    Greg,
    PM sent.

Tim
    Greg,

I sent you a pm as well.

thanks!
    wow. So many cards I want from Greg. So little money I have to spend!

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    PMs responded to - thanks for the interest so far!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Definitely some nice stuff in there. Good luck with the sales, Greg!
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Dave - Great Nagurski! Wow!
    I finally added another card to my registry. No Bronko but one I wanted in high grade for a long time. Please excuse my pitiful scanner.

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    The Ford, Nagurski, and Staubach are fabulous! Thanks for sharing those, nice to see the thread moving again and those cards are a great way to do it.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    great Roger
    Definately a have to have card.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭
    Great Nagurski Dave, perfect centering.... just a great card to have man. Congrats

Nice to see this thread picking up steam again image

Who is this Largent guy creating Fred Meyer cards?
    Who's Fred Meyer??
    Moved up three spots in a week to 32nd on the current list. I had two sales with Gregm12 and Jay0791. I now have 62.26% with a Faulk on the way. And I have a PSA 5.5 Pete Pihos coming too. I want to trade that for other cards I need so I will be posting that soon when it arrives.

Picked up

1954 BOWMAN DOUG ATKINS 8ST - Nicest stained card you will ever see
    1970 TOPPS LEM BARNEY 8
    1970 TOPPS TOM MACK 8
    1971 TOPPS JOE GREENE 7 One of the nicer 7's I have seen
    1972 TOPPS GENE UPSHAW 8
    1975 TOPPS MEL BLOUNT 8
    1976 TOPPS JACK LAMBERT 8
    1979 TOPPS OZZIE NEWSOME 8 (upgrade from my 7)

The next steps up the ladder are big ones. I am rated at 2.88 and the next guy up is 3.03 and then the next guy is 3.35. So, it looks like I won't crack the top 30 for a good year or so.

thanks to GregM I have finally surpassed the 50% mark on this set. It is all uphill from here!
    Congrats! Thats a great milestone for this great set. The climb only gets steeper.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks to GregM I have finally surpassed the 50% mark on this set. It is all uphill from here! >>

Congrats and good luck w/ the rest of the set!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.

<< <i>thanks to GregM I have finally surpassed the 50% mark on this set. It is all uphill from here! >>

Nice work! Gotta love a set that has cards added every year. It is the gift that keeps on giving.
    My newest addition.
    Lets get this thread moving again.
    Who has something new to show?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of rookie HOFers on Ebay right now....ends tomorrow....many have sold, but still a bunch left!

Pete
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup Jay. And for a great price too!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    Since Dave beat me out on that beautiful Bronko PSA 5, I had to settle for this one to upgrade my previous PSA 2:

Nice bronk
    Keep emcoming !!
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    I've got several newbies, but unfortuatly, my scanner crashed.. Hope to have my new one if a few days....

Very nice Bronk!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Just recieved my grades back for my "freebies" this year. Not too bad. A couple of upgrades for my HOF RC collection.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description
    1 1 18696601 NEAR MINT 7 1956 TOPPS 41 ROOSEVELT BROWN
    2 1 18696602 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 150 GALE SAYERS
    3 1 18696603 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 156 TERRY BRADSHAW
    4 1 18696604 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 210 CHARLIE SANDERS
    5 1 18696605 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 233 LEMAR PARRISH
    6 1 18696606 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 245 JOE GREENE
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
    Nice work on the upgrades.