Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    I don’t think anyone is purporting to change a card already existing in the set. But do you really think because you have a email from PSA saying “no changes” that if someone persuades them to change their mind or they change on their own that it will matter…lol. PSA does what it wants when it wants.

For this set to continue to thrive it not only should but must change as the years go by and collectors and/or their collecting habits change. Too try to stifle these open discussions no matter how many times it is brought up seems to be well…In the words of Broadway Joe almost un-American. I for one will talk about whatever I want on this board especially if I’m trying to persuade someone in a majority position to my way of thinking. And if that makes someone nauseous …get your barf bag ready or stay out of it.

David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don’t think anyone is purporting to change a card already existing in the set. But do you really think because you have a email from PSA saying “no changes” that if someone persuades them to change their mind or they change on their own that it will matter…lol. PSA does what it wants when it wants.

For this set to continue to thrive it not only should but must change as the years go by and collectors and/or their collecting habits change. Too try to stifle these open discussions no matter how many times it is brought up seems to be well…In the words of Broadway Joe almost un-American. I for one will talk about whatever I want on this board especially if I’m trying to persuade someone in a majority position to my way of thinking. And if that makes someone nauseous …get your barf bag ready or stay out of it.

David >>

Fair enough. Maybe we should take a vote here on who is for and against autographed cards being added. Rather than trying to pound an opinion into those who disagree. That way we can see if it is even worth discussing no?

And I have a pretty good relationship with Cosetta, Gayle, BJ, all the Registry crew. I think I most certainly could "remind them" to what the guy who requested the future HOFer sets to be loaded to the registry in the first place was told concerning "changes" to already listed cards in the future.

You don;t think anyone is purporting changing already listed cards, yet our discussion has been SPECIFICALLY in reference to complaints about cards currently listed..lol..Maybe you should re-read the last 20 or so posts and you will see these are the facts. I have no problem with addressing NEW issues or NEW cards that come up. But we aren't doing that. It's addressing the same old cards that a few (admitted minority) want to see changed because they are ugly or they don't agree or whatever. If you want to discuss a new addition, or an upcoming addition by all means do. But by continually posting about cards listed that are NOT going to change (by PSA or via vote here), you are wasting your time. I don't see how this is helping your case at all.

But if you want to keep spinning your wheels , by all means do. Spin away...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the suggestion on searching through the thread but I see no harm in addressing an older issue, that's why we have discussion boards.lol If Collectors Universe has a problem with older topics being brought up then I understand why some might have an issue with it. >>

I guess I'm just not understand the point. What is your goal? To change hearts and minds? To change PSA policy? To lead a revolution? All of the above?

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the suggestion on searching through the thread but I see no harm in addressing an older issue, that's why we have discussion boards.lol If Collectors Universe has a problem with older topics being brought up then I understand why some might have an issue with it. >>

I guess I'm just not understand the point. What is your goal? To change hearts and minds? To change PSA policy? To lead a revolution? All of the above?

Jason >>

Just to take part in discussions and to be free to ask questions about the set and cards in it when I have them.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    Giving my opinion on the Warner card wasn't meant to change the card in the set, as that has been voted on and added, end of story. My point was to say that the "no auto" or "no jersey" or "no whatever" rule should be changed based upon where cards themselves have evolved. By Jason's comments and the Ed Reed vote, it seems like that has already changed and those cards are eligible so long as they are true RCs that qualify based upon stated or serial # print runs. Simply disqulifying them b/c some "don't like" autos on a card or jerseys as part of card is no different than someone saying we should use SP instead of Bowman b/c "I like it better". We should take the card that is the player's RC (which it appears will be defined by Lord Beckett) and qualifies for the print run, auto, jersey, or regular-ol' Topps, whatever is the most valuable.

All that being said, does anyone remember what the prices were for the SP & Chrome Reeds were at the time of the vote? I haven't checked them, but it seems strange that an SP auto'd card wouldn't be worth more than a base Chrome card. What am I missing there?
  • Options

<< <i>Giving my opinion on the Warner card wasn't meant to change the card in the set, as that has been voted on and added, end of story. My point was to say that the "no auto" or "no jersey" or "no whatever" rule should be changed based upon where cards themselves have evolved. By Jason's comments and the Ed Reed vote, it seems like that has already changed and those cards are eligible so long as they are true RCs that qualify based upon stated or serial # print runs. Simply disqulifying them b/c some "don't like" autos on a card or jerseys as part of card is no different than someone saying we should use SP instead of Bowman b/c "I like it better". We should take the card that is the player's RC (which it appears will be defined by Lord Beckett) and qualifies for the print run, auto, jersey, or regular-ol' Topps, whatever is the most valuable.

All that being said, does anyone remember what the prices were for the SP & Chrome Reeds were at the time of the vote? I haven't checked them, but it seems strange that an SP auto'd card wouldn't be worth more than a base Chrome card. What am I missing there? >>

I agree 100%. As long as the card has /999 or more, i have no problem including it as a possibility. I don't know if PSA would allow an auto card, but if enough of us supported it they might...

But for me, I still would not vote the auto cards on. Simply because I feel auto cards have their own set. Made just for them. And don't particularly belong in sets with 1957 Johnny Unitas, you know. But again, I have no issue including them in the vote. Majority should always decide. Not just me and my opinion, or any other indivudual opinion. Collectively.

And no, i don't consider them base issue cards. I think auto, jersey, game used cards are all gimic cards. I'm just not a fan of them, especially when talking about including autos in this set when there is an NFL HOF ROOKIE PLAYERS AUTO SET already available.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Just to take part in discussions and to be free to ask questions about the set and cards in it when I have them. >>

Well, I wish we could sticky note a thread titled "NFL HOF RC FAQ's". That way instead of repeatedly asking the same questions every 6 months, guys could review the FAQ's and get the answer there. Would be helpful for all of us. Because NOTHING new is being learned in these discussions that we didn't learn the last 5 times we talked about it.

I look forward to when a new card issue pops up for us to discuss. Because the Kurt Warner's and Ed Reed's and Terrell Davis's...Have all been questioned and answered. The questions are always the same...The answers are always the same..The outcome is always the same...

I guess the guys who don't hear the answers they want feel the need to continue trying to force it down others throats until they cry uncle...I don't see any other reason for it to be honest....

Weird.....
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>there are others among you that dont mind ink on cards too. but thats how this set was setup. >>

Nothing wrong with that...And for those who enjoy ink, well let me point you in the right direction:

Perfect Solution

Jason >>

i wasnt saying that this is what i wanted in this set. since you bring up that link to the HOF Auto'd RC set, I will let you in on the makeup. its the same RC's from this set but signed. so that means you would have to get an SP Authentic Peyton Manning RC signed for that to go into that set. At least that is my understanding. If you notice the set requires as signed 89 Score Aikman or 90 Score Supp Emmitt. so that would mean that all the signed cards would have to come from the HOF RC set.

so bottom line Dave's Warner RC Auto'd card wouldnt fit that set either. it would however fit the HOF Auto'd Card set. there is no requirement as to which card is in that set.

again, i wasnt commenting on what i would want for this set...just that I dont mind ink on cards.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Fair enough. Maybe we should take a vote here on who is for and against autographed cards being added. Rather than trying to pound an opinion into those who disagree. That way we can see if it is even worth discussing no?

No need to vote. Future prospective additions of the Football HOF Sets WILL include Auto Cards that have a total issue of 999 or above

And I have a pretty good relationship with Cosetta, Gayle, BJ, all the Registry crew. I think I most certainly could "remind them" to what the guy who requested the future HOFer sets to be loaded to the registry in the first place was told concerning "changes" to already listed cards in the future

I'm sure the registry folks don't play favorites and to think so is delusional

I just want to make it clear that I will discuss anything I want to on this board as many times as I see fit. I will not be shouted down or bullied.

David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>
    No need to vote. Future prospective additions of the Football HOF Sets WILL include Auto Cards that have a total issue of 999 or above

I just want to make it clear that I will discuss anything I want to on this board as many times as I see fit. I will not be shouted down or bullied.

David >>

WILL include...Talk about shouting or bullying...lol

I won't back down from defending my position against the village idiots either..So by all means, keep asking the same questions, and I'll keep giving you the same answers. And the outcome will remain the same. See ya next time.

As Charlie Sheen would say. WINNING

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>i wasnt saying that this is what i wanted in this set. since you bring up that link to the HOF Auto'd RC set, I will let you in on the makeup. its the same RC's from this set but signed. so that means you would have to get an SP Authentic Peyton Manning RC signed for that to go into that set. At least that is my understanding. If you notice the set requires as signed 89 Score Aikman or 90 Score Supp Emmitt. so that would mean that all the signed cards would have to come from the HOF RC set.

so bottom line Dave's Warner RC Auto'd card wouldnt fit that set either. it would however fit the HOF Auto'd Card set. there is no requirement as to which card is in that set.

again, i wasnt commenting on what i would want for this set...just that I dont mind ink on cards. >>

Thanks for the clarification,
    Jason
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

David >>

I won't back down from defending my position against the village idiots either..So by all means, keep asking the same questions, and I'll keep giving you the same answers. And the outcome will remain the same. See ya next time.

Jason >>

There is no reason to call others "village idiots". You really care about this set, and have done a great job compiling your own personal set, but really should tone down the attitude a little. I really think you are probably a really nice guy, but just come off as something different on a message board. However, if you think that talking down to others and treating others poorly elevates you in some way you are delusional as the man you referenced in your last statement. I may be way off base here, and if so I will take my lumps for it, but you do offer a lot of helpful info but seem to be a little harsh in how you treat others.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

David >>

Jason >>

Warning: consumption of the drug "Charlie Sheen" may result in weight loss, narcissistic delusional fantasies of omnipotence, rampant spewing of nonsensical quips, and the urge to say winning (a lot)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

David >>

Jason >>

There is no reason to call others "village idiots". You really care about this set, and have done a great job compiling your own personal set, but really should tone down the attitude a little. I really think you are probably a really nice guy, but just come off as something different on a message board. However, if you think that talking down to others and treating others poorly elevates you in some way you are delusional as the man you referenced in your last statement. I may be way off base here, and if so I will take my lumps for it, but you do offer a lot of helpful info but seem to be a little harsh in how you treat others. >>

Thanks for addressing some the issues I have noticed the past two days in this thread.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>
    There is no reason to call others "village idiots". You really care about this set, and have done a great job compiling your own personal set, but really should tone down the attitude a little. I really think you are probably a really nice guy, but just come off as something different on a message board. However, if you think that talking down to others and treating others poorly elevates you in some way you are delusional as the man you referenced in your last statement. I may be way off base here, and if so I will take my lumps for it, but you do offer a lot of helpful info but seem to be a little harsh in how you treat others. >>

Well, never been confused with the touchy feely type. Considering my career choice (Army Drill SGT)..Hence the logo...

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, then I wasn't referring to you. I have no dilusions of grandure. I help when I can, when that account runs dry, and when I am being accused of "shouting down" and/or "bullying" because I don't agree with an opinion, I'm going to snap back.

My apologies to anyone who got their feelings hurt. But i don't say uncle, and I won't cower to someone because they feel the need to spread their opinions too often or too thick. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, apparently others aren;t and feel the need to plug their product like GoldenPalace.com.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for addressing some the issues I have noticed the past two days in this thread. >>

You're quite welcome. Always glad to help.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, never been confused with the touchy feely type. Considering my career choice (Army Drill SGT)..Hence the logo...

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, then I wasn't referring to you. I have no dilusions of grandure. I help when I can, when that account runs dry, and when I am being accused of "shouting down" and/or "bullying" because I don't agree with an opinion, I'm going to snap back.

My apologies to anyone who got their feelings hurt. But i don't say uncle, and I won't cower to someone because they feel the need to spread their opinions too often or too thick. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, apparently others aren;t and feel the need to plug their product like GoldenPalace.com.

Jason >>

The thread is over 5 years old and I don't think its unreasonable to expect that the same topics will recycle themselves from time to time. The autographs, #/999, and the cards chosen will always be hot button issues and ones members will want to discuss. I understand these topics might get old but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed because some are tired of them. I like how the set is organized but I'm not going to try and limit conversations that challenge its current design and rules.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for addressing some the issues I have noticed the past two days in this thread. >>

Jason >>

I don't think he was refering to you sarge
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

I don't think he was refering to you sarge >>

While I do value his opinions and information, you are correct.image

title.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

I don't think he was refering to you sarge >>

While I do value his opinions and information, you are correct.image >>

• Options

<< <i>

The thread is over 5 years old and I don't think its unreasonable to expect that the same topics will recycle themselves from time to time. The autographs, #/999, and the cards chosen will always be hot button issues and ones members will want to discuss. I understand these topics might get old but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed because some are tired of them. I like how the set is organized but I'm not going to try and limit conversations that challenge its current design and rules. >>

Hey whatever floats your boat. I just ask that you don't get your feelings hurt if the responses or outcome you get from me or anyone else STILL do not appease you. Spin thw wheels all you want. My mistake for assuming you woulnd't want to waste time on what is essentially a dead issue. (it's been killed multiple times on this thread and by PSA).

Jason

Edited to add---The above is not aimed directly at you dfr52. When i say "you" above, I am talking directly to those in which it applies. Just wanted to clarify after re-reading what I posted.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

First time I can remember being called a village idiot..... Your all class Jason....... all class

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>First time I can remember being called a village idiot..... Your all class Jason....... all class >>

Dave, not you too?????

I got an unopend box of kleenex for all those in need. Send me your addy and i will get it to you Express mail...

CMMONNN MANNN

You really take that to heart?

Sad, and quite classy in and of itself.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The thread is over 5 years old and I don't think its unreasonable to expect that the same topics will recycle themselves from time to time. The autographs, #/999, and the cards chosen will always be hot button issues and ones members will want to discuss. I understand these topics might get old but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed because some are tired of them. I like how the set is organized but I'm not going to try and limit conversations that challenge its current design and rules. >>

Hey whatever floats your boat. I just ask that you don't get your feelings hurt if the responses or outcome you get from me or anyone else STILL do not appease you. Spin thw wheels all you want. My mistake for assuming you woulnd't want to waste time on what is essentially a dead issue. (it's been killed multiple times on this thread and by PSA).

Jason

Edited to add---The above is not aimed directly at you dfr52. When i say "you" above, I am talking directly to those in which it applies. Just wanted to clarify after re-reading what I posted. >>

No one here has their feelings hurt Dude. They are just tired of your overbearing arrogance. We are not 18 yo recruits s***ing in their pants at the very sight of you. You just another collector of HOF rookie cards just like me
  • Options
    So basically what you are saying is that because you have a military background you can treat people like garbage? awesome. Grab your mercury surf board and ride the wave!
  • Options
    Life is too short for me to get my feelings hurt.....

Today, I went to the Indianapolis Childrens Museum with my 2 boys..... Went to see my hometown high school boys basketball team win sectional, now sitting here watching Sportscenter having a few cold one's........ Life is good

I really miss the days of this thread in which guys showed off their new cards for this set..... the best part of this hobby is sharing your collection with others and making new friends.. In fact, I cant wait until this years national where I will get to hang out with fellow HOF RC collectors.............. Anyone here going to make it this year. I know Jasen C and Joe S. will be there, but any others??

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Life is too short for me to get my feelinga hurt.....

Today, I went to the Indianapolis Childrens Museum with my 2 boys..... Went to see my hometown high school boys bastball team win sectional, now sitting here watching Sportscenter having a few cold one's........ Life is good

I really miss the days of this thread in which guys showed off their new cards for this set..... the best part of this hobby is sharing your collection with others and making new friends.. In fact, I cant wait until this years national where I will get to hang out with fellow HOF RC collectors.............. Anyone here going to make it this year. I know Jasen C and Joe S. will be there, but any others??

Dave >>

I might actually make it this year. I am a small bit player in this set, but I truly love it, and have been working on it more and more over the last 6 months. Between having 2 young kids and my wife being a stay at home mom, it is tough to go after some of the big cards in the hobby, but I love the thrill of the chase. I played football and loved the history of the game so this set (and the 100 Greatest NFL Players of all Time) are by far the coolest in the registry to me.
  • Options
    Very cool. Let me know if you are able to make it so we can get together. Like I said.. that is the best part of the hobby. I will be arriving on Wednesday.

Dave

317-363-7027

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>So basically what you are saying is that because you have a military background you can treat people like garbage? awesome. Grab your mercury surf board and ride the wave! >>

No it means, i'm not here to hold your hand and sing Kumbaya...If I don't answer to your liking, too bad so sad. You don;t have to be a crybaby about it. Get over it. I mean really....

Jason

• Options

<< <i>
    No one here has their feelings hurt Dude. They are just tired of your overbearing arrogance. We are not 18 yo recruits s***ing in their pants at the very sight of you. You just another collector of HOF rookie cards just like me >>

Question...Have you seen me DEMAND one thing from anyone?

Sounds to me like you in fact DID get your feelings hurt and now what to justify to yourself by saying I tried to scare you or demand something from you. If I did, please show me where.

I've given my opinion. I've given the information that I have on the subject. If I gave it in a way that you didn't like, honestly, that is on you. Not my job to cater to your feelings.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So basically what you are saying is that because you have a military background you can treat people like garbage? awesome. Grab your mercury surf board and ride the wave! >>

No it means, i'm not here to hold your hand and sing Kumbaya...If I don't answer to your liking, too bad so sad. You don;t have to be a crybaby about it. Get over it. I mean really....

Jason >>

Some people just have a way of rubbing others wrong. Not a big deal. Like I said I appreciate the information you bring. I can tell you are an intelligent human being with a strong ability to logic. You may lack some of the people skills of others, but you do bring a lot to the table for any discussion on the great sport and its history. I like to keep things as civil as possible, but I am from the South and that was the way I was raised. Manners, politeness, treating others like you would want to be treated (all of that stuff). The funny thing is I probably agree with just about every point you make. I would personally just try not to be so antagonistic and resort to name calling. That is all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason

Edited to add---The above is not aimed directly at you dfr52. When i say "you" above, I am talking directly to those in which it applies. Just wanted to clarify after re-reading what I posted. >>

I don't mind when people disagree me or if the talks go no where. I just think its important to be able to have open discussions where ideas can be shared. I'm w/ you on the current set rules but I don't want others to feel like some topics are always off the table or can't be discussed, even if the outcomes aren't the ones they desire.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>I really miss the days of this thread in which guys showed off their new cards for this set..... the best part of this hobby is sharing your collection with others and making new friends.. In fact, I cant wait until this years national where I will get to hang out with fellow HOF RC collectors.............. Anyone here going to make it this year. I know Jasen C and Joe S. will be there, but any others?? >>

Agree 100% Dave. Don't really enjoy the pissing contests.

I'll be in Chicago with bells on, all the way from Melbourne AUS. (Now when I say "with bells on" I don't really mean that literally. Too heavy and likely to get into some kind of trouble.)

Would really enjoy catching up with other HOF RC collectors.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 with Dave and Vince

An answer to Dave about cards I do not agree with...well for one Die cuts or limited Prod #'s ...as long as they are based on the actual RC.
    I think they should be included. A lower production die cut manning should be allowed. Its base card is still the set choice.
    A future example is say the 2010 topps chrome refractors. Base card is chosen ....then you should be able to include a red refractor (prod 25) of the same card.

I never advocate changing a card from the set. My personal revolt of the 1990 change from score supplemental to the action packed for Seau and kennedy
    was I didn't buy the card. 2 blanks in my set. Because I really don't care where I stand in the set rankings. If the majority votes I am willing to go along.

If an autos card is available in enough quantities and a RC then put it up for a vote. The majority has always ruled here.

Years ago guys would post recent PU's and email someone if there was a card available that they needed. Even back off an auction or two to avoid a price war.

A little off the wall and not part of this set but a great FB player none the less.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>+1 with Dave and Vince

An answer to Dave about cards I do not agree with...well for one Die cuts or limited Prod #'s ...as long as they are based on the actual RC.
    I think they should be included. A lower production die cut manning should be allowed. Its base card is still the set choice.
    A future example is say the 2010 topps chrome refractors. Base card is chosen ....then you should be able to include a red refractor (prod 25) of the same card.

I never advocate changing a card from the set. My personal revolt of the 1990 change from score supplemental to the action packed for Seau and kennedy
    was I didn't buy the card. 2 blanks in my set. Because I really don't care where I stand in the set rankings. If the majority votes I am willing to go along.

If an autos card is available in enough quantities and a RC then put it up for a vote. The majority has always ruled here.

Years ago guys would post recent PU's and email someone if there was a card available that they needed. Even back off an auction or two to avoid a price war.

A little off the wall and not part of this set but a great FB player none the less.
    image >>

Jay I agree ...I think all cards refractor,die-cut whatever as long as they are based on the actual HOF rookie card in place should be candidates for addition. I was also enlighten during recent post and discussions with PSA that auto cards are available for addition as base cards for all HOF and related sets. I don't know if I would vote one in but it's nice that they are included.

On an earlier post a collector stated that he thought the Kurt Warner card was ugly and wished it could be changed. It got me to thinking about the HOF set and what I thought was the ugliest card there and also which was the nicest. My opinion only but I think the 1961 FLEER JIM OTTO is hideous.

And the nicest the 1957 TOPPS PAUL HORNUNG. I hope to collect that whole set one day.

David
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>+1 with Dave and Vince

image >>

Jay I agree ...I think all cards refractor,die-cut whatever as long as they are based on the actual HOF rookie card in place should be candidates for addition. I was also enlighten during recent post and discussions with PSA that auto cards are available for addition as base cards for all HOF and related sets. I don't know if I would vote one in but it's nice that they are included.

On an earlier post a collector stated that he thought the Kurt Warner card was ugly and wished it could be changed. It got me to thinking about the HOF set and what I thought was the ugliest card there and also which was the nicest. My opinion only but I think the 1961 FLEER JIM OTTO is hideous.

And the nicest the 1957 TOPPS PAUL HORNUNG. I hope to collect that whole set one day.

David >>

I really like the 57s as well (especially Unitas) but I like the 62's even more.
  • Options
    David,

Just goes to show how people's opinions differ, I guess...the Otto is one of my favorite cards in the set! The cloudless blue sky in the background and the way the grass runs all the way to a perfect horizon in the background, Otto in his classic pose over the ball. I'd like to get that card in a 10 eventually.

On another note, that is a SWEET looking Hornung 7. Congrats on landing that great card!

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>

David >>

Actually ONLY auto cards with a published print run of /999 or more would be eligible. Which knocks out the majority.

Parallel issues and inserts are in fact not eligible. Since they are different cards than what is listed.

More food for the soul.

Have a great day. Heading to the beach myself!

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

was I didn't buy the card. 2 blanks in my set. Because I really don't care where I stand in the set rankings. If the majority votes I am willing to go along. >>

What's funny is that in the Seau and Kennedy situations, the Score Supplemental was still the popular choice. But PSA had decided to go exclusively with the Beckett RC Encylopedia, and they required all rookie card sets to be based 100% on that card being listed. So we had to vote for a new Seau and Kennedy and Action Packed won the popular vote right here on the boards..That vote history is probably buried somewhere to.

Luckily, all current and future cards have been/will be validated by PSA as eligible and are no longer subject to the same treatment.

Jason
  • Options
    OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

No bad mouthing Jim Otto allowed here!!!!!
    As a raider fan Otto and God are mentioned in the same breath.
    Otto 14 years: 12 time pro bowl and 10 time 1st team AP. Not many in Canton can say that.

I actually like his topps RC better but the fleer is worth more.
    Here is an extra psa 8 I have that was a competitors 10. I almost fell over when it came back just an 8.
    Corners are razor. back is just as nice.

and here is the Topps

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite football card (in terms of looks), which ironically is one I haven't owned yet, is Lenny Moore's '56 Topps rookie. Great looking card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

No bad mouthing Jim Otto allowed here!!!!!
    As a raider fan Otto and God are mentioned in the same breath.
    Otto 14 years: 12 time pro bowl and 10 time 1st team AP. Not many in Canton can say that.

I actually like his topps RC better but the fleer is worth more.
    Here is an extra psa 8 I have that was a competitors 10. I almost fell over when it came back just an 8.
    Corners are razor. back is just as nice.

and here is the Topps

image >>

The Fleer is stunning. Do you have an extra 8, would you perhaps be willing to sell one?
  • Options
    Player aside, my least favorite card in the set is the Staubach hands down. Pink just doesnt belong on a football card. Plus its not the best picture ive seen.
    Not to mention the card is one of the most off centered cards in the set.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    The fleer I showed WAS my extra 8. I have a psa 9 in my collection that is very nice. It is not as good as this 8 but close.
    It is not for sale as I purchased it expecting a 50-50 chance for a psa 10 and paid psa 9 price for it.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    BTW, my least favorite card in this set has to be the Jim Taylor RC....it's not even him!
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, my least favorite card in this set has to be the Jim Taylor RC....it's not even him! >>

Same here. Its hard to want a high grade Taylor rookie when he's not even pictured on the card.lol

title.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, my least favorite card in this set has to be the Jim Taylor RC....it's not even him! >>

yep. I have to agree, as an LSU fan that hurts too. One of the greatest players ever to go to your school and his rookie card is of some other Jim Taylor.
  • Options

<< <i>The fleer I showed WAS my extra 8. I have a psa 9 in my collection that is very nice. It is not as good as this 8 but close.
    It is not for sale as I purchased it expecting a 50-50 chance for a psa 10 and paid psa 9 price for it. >>

oh well. worth a shot.
  • Options

<< <i>

yep. I have to agree, as an LSU fan that hurts too. One of the greatest players ever to go to your school and his rookie card is of some other Jim Taylor. >>

I think its funny that Topps made the mistake again in the 1960 set.

title.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    My vote for ugliest card would have to be the 48 Bowman Pihos card. Black & White to begin with and they couldn't find a better picture than that!! Ouch!

Doc