Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    GUYS i need a 63 Willie Wood and Deacon Jones in at least 8 if anyone has them to spare vcp for the price ,Can use a Bronko 4 also image
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a way to tell if this card is recolored? >>

On the 1962 Topps cards I've seen that were recolored, the black had bled onto the edges of the cards. If I held the card such that only the edge was showing, I could see black spots where it was recolored. I don't know how well that will work with a card in a holder, though.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there a way to tell if this card is recolored? >>

On the 1962 Topps cards I've seen that were recolored, the black had bled onto the edges of the cards. If I held the card such that only the edge was showing, I could see black spots where it was recolored. I don't know how well that will work with a card in a holder, though. >>

Makes sense. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    OK, everybody check your email....Gayle sent out a poll for additions to the set for McDaniel, Thomas & Woodson.

Jasen
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a way to tell if this card is recolored?

image >>

Hold the card to the side and you should be able to see any bleed on the edge of the corners.

Also, I would be more concerned about it being trimmed. Especially considering the slight flare at the corners and the uneven cut. Note that the bottom is not symmetrical with the top AND the right is not symmetrical with the left. This is not because of a diamond cut, but most probably due to trimming (bottom and right at least).
  • Options

<< <i>OK, everybody check your email....Gayle sent out a poll for additions to the set for McDaniel, Thomas & Woodson.

Jasen >>

How long does it usually take for the poll results to come back?

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Huge Day for me!
    Had a Walter Payton graded. Came back an 8. I will show scans when it arrives.
  • Options
    Me too! I got a '79Topps Doug English RC, popped a 9!!! Down to 12 and counting for my '79 Topps set in 9 or better, woo hoo!!!

Jasen
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you can now add the Hayes and Smith rookies.

Must be waiting on poll results for the remaining 3.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What are the most expensive PSA rookies for McDaniel, DT, and Woodson, based on sale prices?
    I don't want to respond to the poll based on just guessing.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Heres the VCP avgs of those cards
    McDaniel
    topps traded 13.01
    pro set 27.75

Woodson
    score 21.39
    topps 14.45
  • Options
    Yes, the correct vote should be

McDaniel Pro Set
    Woodson Score
    DT Score

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm selling a large portion of my football HOF rookie card collection on eBay under shagman77. As many of you know, I'm about as picky as they get, so you can trust that these are all high-end cards.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I'm selling a large portion of my football HOF rookie card collection on eBay under shagman77. As many of you know, I'm about as picky as they get, so you can trust that these are all high-end cards. >>

I'll be bidding on a few. image Good luck!

Jasen
  • Options
    Five days without a post. I could not let this go to the second page. I finally got my Payton PSA 8 added. Moved me up a nice chunk. I still have a few more to add from this years class. I should be at 50% by Spring- Wahhoooooo image
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    We also finally got the modern set additions approved and added to the Future HOF- Modern set yesterday. All that we submitted got voted in as usual.

Thanks to all who participated. We will do it again next january for the modern guys, and this coming September for the Senior guys.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I see they changed the Kennedy RC to Action Packed.
    Are they going to change the Seau RC as well or will it stay as is.
  • Options

<< <i>I see they changed the Kennedy RC to Action Packed.
    Are they going to change the Seau RC as well or will it stay as is. >>

They sent out a poll on it previously. It is 100% not going to be the Score Supplemental. The Beckett RC Encyclopedia doesn't recognize it and therefore PSA is not going to allow it on the HOF RC set.

The poll they sent gave optional cards to select, the same ones as Kennedy. Since the Action Packed Kennedy was chosen, I would assume the Seau Action Packed will also be chosen. We should get the official word from PSA no later than next week on which Seau will be the HOF RC eligible Seau.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Yes this has been a dead zone lately.. I guess that's what happens in February....

The combine was last week here in indy. My wife is a CT technologist at the hospital in which the players get their physicals. So she would come home each day and tell me who she had to scan. (sanchez, crabtee, laurinitis, etc....) Thats pretty cool.

I haven't bought a single upgrade to my set since finishing it 2 months ago. I did, however, put a bid on every single one (71) of Shags cards but I am only high bidder on 3 right now. I was hoping a few would fall between the cracks but prices look pretty strong. Hopefully Andy will tell us how he did overall after the dust settles.

Anyway, hope everyone is surviving the economic crisis by keeping your jobs. I've been lucky so far. Hopefully healthcare wont take a huge hit......

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

I think thats crap!! The Kennedy sup card is in the 90's decades set, it should be the one in the future HOF set. The Seau is already a part of the future HOF set, to change it now would, well it wouldnt make me happy

I for one wont to be chasing two versions of modern cards to satisfy a registry, like the old Terrell Davis super bowl MVP and future HOF thing, that was the first straw.

Its no wonder I hate collecting all the modern crap, 20 different versions of a rookie card that I dont care to learn about image
  • Options
    Joe, I believe they will be changing all the sets to be consistant. It seems PSA now thinks Beckett is the Bible and will be following it to determine which cards will be eligible for all these sets.

I hate all these modern cards too. That's why I want to upgrade my older cards before diving into this modern jungle.......

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    This has obviously been covered before, but I think it is ridiculous that because Beckett(who actually uses this as a true pricing source regarding Registry cards?????) says a modern rookie card of a guy that is issued only in a complete set form, never in a pack despite multiple major brand issues being released in packs, is considered their best rookie card.

Don't worry too much Joe, the rules will change in a few years and your Score Supplementals will be the cards to own again.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i guess the real question is will PSA kill the golden goose.

i would bet that there is a correlation bewteen their volume and the popularity of the set registry. now maybe our little sets wont kill it alone but the more issues that people have with the registry the less people will use it and the less cards they will have graded.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    OK.....it looks like I got completly shut out on Andy's auctions. I guess I should have bid a little stronger. Anyway, I thought I would post a top 10 wanted list........Let me know if you have any of the following nicely centered. Willing to pay average VCP depending on eye appeal.....

1933 SK Grange PSA 5
    1935 NC Strong PSA 6
    1948 Leaf Van Buren PSA 5-6
    1948 Leaf Bob Waterfield PSA 5-6
    1952 Large Stydahar PSA 5-6
    1955 Bow St. Clair PSA 7
    1955 AA Fats Henry PSA 7
    1957 Topps Unitas PSA 7
    1958 Topps Jim Brown PSA 7
    1965 Phil Renfro PSA 7

Thanks!!
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>OK.....it looks like I got completly shut out on Andy's auctions. I guess I should have bid a little stronger.

Dave >>

Some prices were real strong, others about average, and some low..All-in-all I think he did pretty well considering everything. The majority of his collection was high-end eye appeal wise, so not shocked at all at some of the stronger prices...

Was hoping my old Unitas RC would come available. Would LOVE to have that card back. Also saw a card get ended early that I would have like to grab, obviously someone made an offer, probably higher than my price anyway.

Jason
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes this has been a dead zone lately.. I guess that's what happens in February....

The combine was last week here in indy. My wife is a CT technologist at the hospital in which the players get their physicals. So she would come home each day and tell me who she had to scan. (sanchez, crabtee, laurinitis, etc....) Thats pretty cool.

I haven't bought a single upgrade to my set since finishing it 2 months ago. I did, however, put a bid on every single one (71) of Shags cards but I am only high bidder on 3 right now. I was hoping a few would fall between the cracks but prices look pretty strong. Hopefully Andy will tell us how he did overall after the dust settles.

Anyway, hope everyone is surviving the economic crisis by keeping your jobs. I've been lucky so far. Hopefully healthcare wont take a huge hit......

Dave >>

That is a cool story, too bad she probably couldn't get any autos for you.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think thats crap!! The Kennedy sup card is in the 90's decades set, it should be the one in the future HOF set. The Seau is already a part of the future HOF set, to change it now would, well it wouldnt make me happy

I for one wont to be chasing two versions of modern cards to satisfy a registry, like the old Terrell Davis super bowl MVP and future HOF thing, that was the first straw.

Its no wonder I hate collecting all the modern crap, 20 different versions of a rookie card that I dont care to learn about image >>

I agree there are way too many products out right now.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going to be added to the senior set?
  • Options

<< <i>

Its no wonder I hate collecting all the modern crap, 20 different versions of a rookie card that I dont care to learn about image >>

Joe:

I feel your pain... It's like that BS with '48 Leaf and '48 Bowman... image

Sorry Dave and Jason, but I had to do what I had to do. Just wondering if it will bump me up on the Registry...
  • Options
    BTW, if anyone needs, I have this available...asking $1200 dlvd. Will make this available through the weekend then send it out for consignment.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone going to be added to the senior set? >>

We vote for Senior additions every September. I think we added 3 last year. Nothing will change as far as which Seniors might possibly be added to the set until this years Senior HOF committee selections where we can see who made the final 15-17 seniors just prior to their selection of the 2 finalists. Otherwise, all of those guys are retired and nothing has changed for any of them since September in which those who are not already on the set, did not get the majority vote here.

Jason
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Really nice joiner........and on a review wow
    I want to 2nd and 3rd Joe's comments.........I also will not be pursuing the 2 cards that replaced the score supplements...

I wish I could have been able to bid more on andy's cards. His were worth every penny. Jason....don't feel alone...I wanted to bid on his 1970 bethea 9...and poof !!! it was gone.

Looking at dave's list I can't remember seeing a 52 stradahar in any grade for quite a while now.

Has anyone submitted a registry player set lately? I'm still waiting...I think over 2 years now.....for several. If I sent in the smr price...I think its all based on a psa 8? and potential weighting does that help? And.....how do you actually do the weighting?
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>..how do you actually do the weighting? >>

Yes, it is based on SMR in PSA 8. Highest valued card in the set gets a 10.0, lowest valued card gets a 1.0 and you fill in the rest using common sense. After entering all the values in PSA 8 I usually sort my spreadsheet from most expensive to least and then fill in the middle making sure no higher valued card has a lower grade weight.

An easy way is using a tier system. For example, cards valued $1-$49 = 1.0, from $50-$99=1.5, from $100-$149=2.0, etc. Usually base it on how big the spread is from the highest to lowest value.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Really nice joiner........and on a review wow
    I want to 2nd and 3rd Joe's comments.........I also will not be pursuing the 2 cards that replaced the score supplements...

I wish I could have been able to bid more on andy's cards. His were worth every penny. Jason....don't feel alone...I wanted to bid on his 1970 bethea 9...and poof !!! it was gone.

Looking at dave's list I can't remember seeing a 52 stradahar in any grade for quite a while now.

Has anyone submitted a registry player set lately? I'm still waiting...I think over 2 years now.....for several. If I sent in the smr price...I think its all based on a psa 8? and potential weighting does that help? And.....how do you actually do the weighting? >>

Jay,

You may want to resubmit your request. My brother has requested several sets in the last few months that have been approved and are up & running.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at dave's list I can't remember seeing a 52 stradahar in any grade for quite a while now. >>

Actually, I just grabbed one a week or so ago. It wasn't the greatest looking PSA 5, but it fills the spot and I've seen uglier ones.

I've got a PSA 4 Stydahar (Small) available if anyone needs...
  • Options
    Thank you guys
    I will use ur formula jason. seems good 2 me.
    I will retry and add the weighting with them.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    In regards to the Modern Set's new additions, I have an extra Mawae in 10 and a couple of 9s if anyone needs. PM / Email an offer. Thanks.
  • Options
    Anyone know what's up with the Mile High auction? Banner ad says the auction is live, but their site has the old one. Haven't received the catalog yet either, anyone know of anything worth noting that's up?

Jasen
  • Options
  • Options
    jasen

Normally its a great auction. I only bid on one of them a few years back.
    there is a 52 bow sm gifford 8 but not much else for rc's on our sets....no more than 5 cards or so.
    no catalog for me either
    There is some great BB
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Dave:

I likely have more Fats 7's in the AA's. If I have one, I would sell it for VCP mean to you.
  • Options
    Sure, Just let me know if you have one nicely centered. Send a scan to davemri@yahoo.com
    dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    HOFer and Bear's great died Wednesday night.
    RIP George McAfee
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    DURHAM, N.C. -- George McAfee, a College and Pro Football Hall of Famer who was a star at Duke University and for the Chicago Bears, has died. He was 90.

George McAfee,
    Chicago Bears

Career Statistics
    Carries: 341
    Yards: 1,685
    Touchdowns: 22
    St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Durham, where McAfee attended church, confirmed Thursday that McAfee died Wednesday night.

McAfee helped the Blue Devils to a 24-4-1 record and two Southern Conference titles between 1937 and 1939. He led Duke in rushing, receiving, scoring, kickoff returns, punt returns, interceptions and punting during his senior season. He earned first-team All-America honors, and Duke went 8-1.

In eight seasons with Chicago, McAfee gained more than 5,000 all-purpose yards and had 21 interceptions. His 35-yard interception return for a touchdown helped the Bears take a 73-0 victory over the Washington Redskins in the 1940 NFL Championship Game.

"George McAfee helped establish the proud tradition of the Chicago Bears," the team said in a statement. "His versatility led to his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as he played offense, defense and special teams on three championship teams (1940, 1941 and 1946). George also served his country in the Navy during WWII. We are proud to have him as an integral part of our history and are saddened by his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."
  • Options
    On the Bears website they have some great old film up on some of McAfee's incredible plays. I love watching the old film.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Just got this yesterday!!!

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    And this... I did tell him..its Felicia, not Felecia, guess too many hits..

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Wow, Mongo's gotten fat. Great couple of pieces!
  • Options
    If anyone is planning on attending the Philadelphia show this weekend , send me a chat . Its a great chance to meet up !
    Looks like its going to be a great show this year , they have big time names signing this year.
    I'm looking forward to checking out some of the Mile High cards in the auction in person.