Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Well I finally got around to updating my set with scans of everything. I added about 20 or so scans tonight, so it is all updated for those of you who like to check out that stuff. Also, haven't posted a wantlist in quite awhile, so here it is:

1952 Stydahar (large) 7
    1952 Matson (large) 7
    1954 Atkins 7
    1958 Jurgensen 7
    1960 Gregg 8
    1962 Shaw 8
    1963 Lilly 8
    1964 Bell 8
    1974 Hannah 9

Anyone notice anything of interest in the Mile High auction? First Namath 8 I have seen in quite awhile....

Jasen
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Dave MRI - I sent you a scan of the FATS 7. Did you see it? If you are interested let me know soon please.

Just got back another AA sub. Four more 10's! Including Edwards, Rockne, Feathers and Kinnard. I told Isaacson I would trade him all four for his Bronko 9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I got it. I am going to have to get back with you. There are a few things on ebay that I am currently watching.

Congrats on the 10's!! I saw you posted your set but you are still lagging behind a little bit. When are you going to be #1?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I'm hoping you guys can help clarify something for me regarding the Set Registry and cards with qualifiers.

Does a card with a qualifier(ex. 8OC) ALWAYS have a 2 point deduction when listed in a set or does the amount of the deduction vary from set to set?

Also, do the deductions change depending on the qualifier? ex. OC vs. MK vs. PD etc?

I don't really understand how all that works.

Thanks for your help,
    Doc

• Options
    Doc,

I believe it's always a 2-pt. deduction and is the same for all qualifiers.

Jasen
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Additionally, the following point deductions are taken for Qualifiers. For example, if your card or ticket is graded PSA 9Q, the grade calculation in the Registry will be 7.

9Q = -2
    8Q = -2
    7Q = -2
    6Q = -2
    5Q = -2
    4Q = -2
    3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q & 1.5Q = no deduction

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, does the -2 deduction apply to ALL qualifiers?

Doc
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys, does the -2 deduction apply to ALL qualifiers?

Doc >>

Yes, all Q's are created equal..
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    This thread needs 2 things.....More action and more scans. I know it's the middle of March, but this is pathetic...LOL...

Anyone make any recent upgrades to this set? If so, lets see some pics.

I finally made my first upgrade since completing the set 3 months ago....This upgrades my 7

Anyone else have some scans to share???

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    ">Text

I'm new to the Message Board, and I hope this link to one of my newer additions to this Set Registry works. This is a card of a rather unsung HOFer, but I really like the looks of the 1951 Bowman Football. I obtained this card from Mint State, Inc. last month. I'm new to collecting, never having seen a graded sports card until last year. I hope to check this Registry Message Board to learn more about collecting & investing in the PSA Football HOF Rookies Set. -Keith
  • Options
    Your link didn't work Keith, here ya go....

BTW, that's one of my old cards!! One of my first set of .5 bumps.

Jason
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    MRI Dave - A week or so ago I sent you the '55 AA FATS scan re. the 7 you were interested in and never got a reponse?

fyi - guess what numero uno H o F set got passed yesterday? See below - it's the one that PSA could safely say would not be passed anytime soon or maybe, ever !!!!!!!!!!

Wes Verno (2003) - 1955 Topps All-American Basic Set Football
    Last year, this tremendous set won for Best Rookie Set of the Year with a GPA of 8.85. This year, it went up to 8.95! That's right, a set that is almost uniformly PSA Mint 9s across the board. When you consider how hot these cards have been for about two years now and how old the set is, the accomplishment is tremendous. This is a set that we think we can safely say will not be surpassed anytime soon and, maybe, ever
  • Options
    I posted last tuesday...

<< <i>Yes, I got it. I am going to have to get back with you. There are a few things on ebay that I am currently watching.

Congrats on the 10's!! I saw you posted your set but you are still lagging behind a little bit. When are you going to be #1?

Dave
    >>

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I got the Andy Madec aution catalog today in the mail with my SMR. Couple of lots I am interested in...what are your experiences with this auction house? Can post here or PM replies, thanks in advance guys.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Your link didn't work Keith, here ya go....

BTW, that's one of my old cards!! One of my first set of .5 bumps.

Jason >>

Jason, thank you for posting the 1951 Bowman 8.5 Weinmeister for me. It must be funny to see one of your former cards posted. A long-deferred congratulations to you on your eye to be rewarded with the 0.5 point bump.

It's remarkable to me that in the early 1950s, Bowman took time and resources to design, color, and choose significant card stock for printing "bubble gum cards" depicting a sport that was not nearly America's most popular in that era. Countless well-preserved 1950, 1951, and 1952 Bowman vintage cards are now almost visual jaw-droppers to me.
  • Options
    I have a Grange PSA 1 available if anyone is interested.

$200 delivered.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I am in need of a '62 Fleer Billy Shaw in PSA 6 or 7, also Hannah and DeLamielleure in PSA 8. Please PM if you can help out, thanks.

Jasen
  • Options
    Jasen, PM sent

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I know we talked about this before but all of you will have to remind me.
    When will the all-decade team '00-'09 be coming out and who will be on it?
  • Options
    Not sure when it offically comes out but here are my guesses

Offense
    First Team ...................................Second Team
    QB Peyton Manning........................... Tom Brady
    WR Randy Moss........................... Torry Holt
    WR Marvin Harrison........................ Terrell Ownes
    TE Tony Gonzales............................ Antonio Gates
    T Jonathan Ogden...................... Orlando Pace
    T Walter Jones......................... Jon Runyan
    G Larry Allen ......................... Steve Hutchinson
    G Alan Faneca............................. Will Shields /Brian Watters
    C Kevin Mawae............................. Olin Kreutz/Jeff Satruday
    FB Lorenzo Neal............................ Tony Richardson
    RB LaDanian Tomlinson ...................... Clinton Portis
    RB Edgerrin James..................................... Shaun Alexander

Defense
    First Team ................................ Second Team
    DE Michael Strahan .................... Dwight Freeney
    DE Jason Taylor ....................... Julius Peppers
    DT Kevin Williams .......................... Warren Sapp
    DT Richard Seymour ................................. Bryant Young/Kris Jenkins
    MLB Ray Lewis ..................................... Brian Urlacher
    OLB Derrick Brooks .................................... Joey Porter
    OLB Terrell Suggs .................................... Shawne Merriman Keith Bullock, Vrabel
    CB Champ Bailey ......................................... Ty Law
    CB Ronde Barber ................................. Chris McAlister/Charles Woodson
    SS Troy Polamalu ......................................... Darren Sharper Rodney Harrison
    FS` Ed Reed ....................................... Brian Dawkins

K Adam Vinatieri ..................................... David Akers
    P Shane Lechler ......................................... Jeff Feagles
    KR Dante Hall
    PR Devin Hester

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well, Ive got some exciting news..

So my wife and I have tomorrow and friday off for spring break. We had no plans until tonight when my wife suggested that we go to the Football HOF. Well, the room is booked and we will be heading to Canton tomorrow night, spending all day friday at the Hall.......heading back saturday morning.

We will be taking our 10 year old son (Austin), who is as big a football fanatic as me. I don't know who's more excited....me or him...
    Canton is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from our home in Indiana...
    I reached 100% on my football hall of fame set a few months ago, and this will be like the icing on the cake!!

I'll make sure to take plenty of pics to post.
    I'm going to need some ambien to get to sleep tonight........

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Have fun Dave, I took my family last summer and they had a blast.
    The interactive video monitors they have in the room with all the HOF busts is really cool.
  • Options
    Congrats Dave, you will have a terrific time. Have a safe trip!!

Doc
  • Options
    OK guys, I made a little tour of the HOF for you all to enjoy. We had a blast and I cant wait to go back. If you click on the first picture, I have added comments at the bottom of most pictures to describe what the picture is. Just click on the first picture and then hit the next button on the top left.

Hope you enjoy!!!

2009 Pro Football HOF

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave. That was awesome!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Great pics Dave, I cant believe that's your first time!!!

If I lived less then 5 hours away I'd be there once a month...lol...

My next HOF trip is planned for early June to take advantage of the free admission for active duty military...Going with an Army buddy who's never been and plan on catching an Indians game as well.

Jason
  • Options
    Yes, It was my first time, but promise it wont be my last.

It really was an awesome time and it felt like it brought my collection full circle. I just kept thinking to myself the whole time.....I should have came here a long time ago.....LOL...

There were only a couple things I would like to do different next time. It was raining the whole day so I didn't get any pictures of the outside. There is an outdoor field right by the HOF that you can run around on. If the weather was nicer, my son and I could have stood out there and threw a football for a while.
    Also, I noticed the HOF archives section that was "by appointment only". I would like to visit that section even though I have no idea what it contains....

Thanks for the comments guys!!
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Also, I noticed the HOF archives section that was "by appointment only". I would like to visit that section even though I have no idea what it contains....

Thanks for the comments guys!!
    Dave >>

Dave, its a must for the serious collector/historian. They have game programs, media guides, game box scores, play-by-plays and official game write-ups/summaries. If the Colts are your team, you can literally find out anything you ever wanted to know about them or their history in the archives. They won't open it on weekends though, so you have to go M-F. I have the contact info you need to make an appointment if/when you ever want to go in there. No cost to do so, and you should be able to get in with a week or so advance notice.

Jason
  • Options
    Hey Dave, Congrats, it looks like you had a great time! I've only been there once but would love to return again.

Doc
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing dave. Very nice. I live 2 hours drive from the BB and BK HOF (also boxing and a few others) but never been to canton. Some day. Your son will remember it for a lifetime.
    Is it me....or does steve largent look like dan marino
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>....or does steve largent look like dan marino >>

Blasphemer!! image

One of these days man, one of these day Ill make the trip to mecca

Those are great pictures Dave, thanks very much for sharing
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>....or does steve largent look like dan marino >>

Blasphemer!! image

One of these days man, one of these day Ill make the trip to mecca

Those are great pictures Dave, thanks very much for sharing >>

I hope you aren't waiting for another Seahawk to be inducted.....you'll want to go when you are young enough to enjoy it!

Jasen
  • Options
    Great pictures Dave, thanks for sharing.
    What was your favorite part?
  • Options
    Definatly the room with all the busts... Nothing like looking these guys in the face...... A surreal experience

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of these days man, one of these day Ill make the trip to mecca >>

Come on out to the National and we'll plan a day in Canton (perhaps the Monday after or stay the week and catch the induction the next weekend).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One of these days man, one of these day Ill make the trip to mecca >>

Come on out to the National and we'll plan a day in Canton (perhaps the Monday after or stay the week and catch the induction the next weekend). >>

Thanks for the offer Scott, but im straight, plus your "life partner" might get jealous

And jasen, dont think for a second I missed that comment about the Seahawks. Go to the dance and suddenly your looking down your snoot at all of us image
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

Your wife suggested that you spend your vacation day at the Pro Football HOF? Are you kidding? It would cost me a day of me playing the man-wife and $100 gift certificate to Lancome for her to agree....lol..

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    To preempt the question from Pubs - no, I won't be your man-wife no matter how hard you beg.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    For those of you who don't pay attention to other threads on this board, MOSH will be retiring this set soon. Anyone interested in any of his cards should contact Rick at MINTState@msn.com. A lot of upgrade opportunities for many of us here.

Jasen
  • Options
    OK got it now...Rick had emailed me back about 2 weeks ago about a large collection. Hope I can scrape up a few pennies and buy something.
    I take back the comment about steve Largent looking like Marino....I didn't realize I was insulting good ole dan.

Did you all notice MOSH retired the all time raiders set.....now I am #1 in something
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Congrats Jay.
    I bought some raw Lechlers to sub, they all look pretty good let me know if you want one.
    Did you vote for Matuszak?
  • Options
    yes if you get a 9,10 lechler I would like one.
    I voted for him as he is truely a 2nd coming of ray guy. well perennial pro bowler anyways.
    no I didn't vote for matusak...he was not all that great. I don't think he ever went to even one pro bowl.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>yes if you get a 9,10 lechler I would like one.
    I voted for him as he is truely a 2nd coming of ray guy. well perennial pro bowler anyways.
    no I didn't vote for matusak...he was not all that great. I don't think he ever went to even one pro bowl. >>

Are pro bowls required to be an all-time raider? Must be a short checklist....

Jasen

Sorry, couldn't resist.....
  • Options
    Ok Jay, I'll sub a couple of them and hope they come back tens.
    I was surprised when I looked at Matuszack's stats and saw he had no pro-bowl appearances, also didn't know he was 6'08".
  • Options
    Well, MOSH's set is now retired and unlocked so we can all see what he was able to compile. It's going to be interesting to see how this set trickles down to the rest of us once the certs are released.

Jasen
  • Options
    OK guys...I expect to see some scans when your MOSH cards arrive....
    Here is one of my newest upgrades...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I have a question............

I was looking at the HOF website and noticed that George Halas is listed as being inducted as a Coach, Contributor, and PLAYER.....
    He is listed in the section Pre-Modern Era: Ends

Also.......This is a direct quote from the positions page

<< <i>There are 247 members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The positions list totals 253 because six members are included in more than one category. Guy Chamberlin -- Coaches; Players (Pre-Modern Era: Ends) | Jimmy Conzelman -- Coaches; Players (Pre-Modern Era: RB and QB) | Ray Flaherty -- Coaches; Players (Pre-Modern Era: Ends) | George Halas -- Coaches; Contributors; and Players (Pre-Modern Era: Ends) | Curly Lambeau - Coaches; Contributors; and Players (Pre-Modern Era RB and QB) |Steve Owen -- Coaches; Players (Pre-Modern Era: Two-Way Performers - G, T, C)

>>

My question is...............Why is his 52 Bowman not an eligible card in the HOF RC set, if he, is indeed, inducted as a player??????
    I realize that he was a player from 1920-1928, but I don't see how that is any different than the 55 Topps AA cards produced decades after those players....

Im not sure why I never noticed this before. Thoughts? Anyone objected to adding this card?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    And if your answer is.............................."George is listed as a coach on the card. That is why he is not included" then........

We need to take Joe Stydahar out of the set because he is listed as coach of the Rams on his 52 Bowman card. It seems that we need to either add Halas or take out Stydahar..... I vote for adding Halas.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Yes, I would object.

There are quite a few guys who fall into that same category...Elected primarily for other reasons, but yes, did play the game at some point. Some more significantly than others. Or on the other hand, guys who were elected as players, but were also head coaches (Norm Van Brocklin is an example).

The difference is this....Halas would never have been elected based strictly on his play. He was elected as a coach/contributor, but was also a player. If you click on the HOFers name, it will take you to their bio page and will actually list what they were inducted as, and George Halas is listed as Founder, Owner, Coach. On the positions page is says specifically:

"NOTE: Pro Football Hall of Fame members are listed by their PRIMARY contributions to pro football"

Key word is contributions. Halas certainly contributed as a player as he played for 9 years. But if he were not one of, if not the greatest coach/owner in football history would he have been elected for his play on the field? The answer to that is easily no. And that is why he is not listed on the HOF Rookie PLAYER set. He wasn't a HOF player. He was a HOF coach/owner who also happened to be a very good player who contributed many years to the NFL as a player.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>And if your answer is.............................."George is listed as a coach on the card. That is why he is not included" then........

We need to take Joe Stydahar out of the set because he is listed as coach of the Rams on his 52 Bowman card. It seems that we need to either add Halas or take out Stydahar..... I vote for adding Halas.

Dave >>

Has zero to do with the card. Its the fact that he was not a HOF caliber "player", and would not have been elected based strictly on his merits as a player. Played from 1920-1928, was never once recognized as an All-Pro. This is who we want on the HOF Rookie Players set? Anyone randomly looking at the set and seeing George Halas listed as a player would probably laugh and/or disregard the set as non-nonsensical. He's recognized as one of the all-time great coaches/owners in history, not as a player.

Jason