Home Sports Talk

Official Houston Texans Thread

Comments

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    No, YOU shut your damn mouth for one week image

See you next Sunday at 3.

Current Posts: 12672
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • The post count will go up.

He's making nice on the Cards and Mem. Forum.

Recommending bookshelves and such.

Funny that the one he bought went in a closet.

Guess the two of you will have to work out the terms of the bet.
    Tailgating menu for tomorrow:

Grilled Buffalo Wings in homemade hot sauce with a side of homemade bleu cheese sauce.

Andouille burgers with apple smoked bacon on ciabatta buns.

Yum-O image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Same Texans. Different week.

Is there any other team in the NFL who is so good at going out of their way to find new ways to lose games they should win?

Terrible defense at the end. I knew the prevent was coming...and all it prevented (as usual) was a win.

Of course, maybe the win was prevented by that inexplicable call on 3rd and 2 on the Texans' last possession. Not only do you almost get the ball picked off, you allow Buffalo to save that timeout which was HUGE.

Guess it's not just Dom Capers who knew how to lose games he should win. There must be something about that Texans uniform.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more.

They showed a stat that said that Losman had, in his career, ONE 4th quarter/OT comeback victory, yet the texans make him look like Montana as he rolls down the field and wins the game.

Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 with less than 2 minutes left was a terrible call. Also, from my vantage point, it looked like whoever caught the last second TD was out of the end-zone.

Oh well... It was a fun game; awesome weather, great food, hanging with friends, cold beer, and good times image

<< <i>Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 with less than 2 minutes left was a terrible call. Also, from my vantage point, it looked like whoever caught the last second TD was out of the end-zone. >>

Price was in. It was a good call.

There was a camera angle from above, and in that angle you could clearly see the "trail" where his two feet dragged. It clearly started a couple feet IN the end zone and led out from it. And he appeared to have firm possession from the moment it touched his hands. It was a legit TD and a helluva catch. Still, between the too-soft defense and that horrible third down call, it never should have come to that. The ending made me feel like I was watching a Dom Capers team again.

<< <i>

<< <i>Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 with less than 2 minutes left was a terrible call. Also, from my vantage point, it looked like whoever caught the last second TD was out of the end-zone. >>

Price was in. It was a good call.

There was a camera angle from above, and in that angle you could clearly see the "trail" where his two feet dragged. It clearly started a couple feet IN the end zone and led out from it. And he appeared to have firm possession from the moment it touched his hands. It was a legit TD and a helluva catch. Still, between the too-soft defense and that horrible third down call, it never should have come to that. The ending made me feel like I was watching a Dom Capers team again. >>

Agreed, the ref was right there watching the play as it happened, and saw his feet touch...amazing play to cap off an amazing comeback. Buffalo's offense was done after the first quarter.

Just heard something, that Lee Evans had 205 yards receiving - in the first quarter! Wow, another milestone allowed by texans D. First it was Brunell completing 22 in a row, now this.

You're right, though, there's just something about this franchise that will never allow them to be successful - I'd look upstairs, as it's obviously not been the coaching staff's fault.

<< <i>Price was in. It was a good call. >>

Being at the game, I didn't get the opportunity to see any replays. Looked close but if his feet were clearly in, then it was a good call by the refs.

Oh well.

Still fun cheering on the home team, eating great grub, and drinking iced cold beers image

PS - Demeco Ryans is a stud and should win Defensive Rookie of the Year image
    Demeco Ryans won AFC Defensive Player of the Week image

Link

<< <i>Ryans, the Texans’ second-round pick from the University of Alabama , continues to impress as a rookie. He leads the NFL with 97 solo tackles and is second with 114 tackles. His 9.5 tackles per game is second-best in the league. He is third on the Texans with 3.5 sacks and leads the team with nine QB hurries. He has six double-digit tackle performances this season. >>

He is the first rookie to win the award this season image

Next up is the Titans and VY will make his homecoming.

This will be an interesting game, to say the least.
    Vince Young will be coming to town to show the texans that they made a TERRIBLE move in making mario 'I'm just happy to be here' williams #1 instead of young or bush.

No wonder that franchise always stinks - no direction whatsoever in the front office.

My prediction: titans 42, texans 3.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind...............

........just saying No here to the hypocritical troll.

Steve
    Good for you.
    I wonder how many Texans fans will be actively cheering for the opponent's quarterback.

<< <i>I wonder how many Texans fans will be actively cheering for the opponent's quarterback. >>

Oh, there's going to be a ton. I've watched Vince for the past 5 years and he's an exciting athlete. He's a hometown hero and I wish him the absolute best with his career.

However, when he plays the Texans, I want my team to come out victorious image

<< <i>I wonder how many Texans fans will be actively cheering for the opponent's quarterback. >>

I heard Richard Justice say yesterday that reliant stadium is consistently 1/3 empty every single sunday - despite it being acknowledged as the best football arena in the country. He also said that it will be completely packed for sunday's game, and that a vast majority of the people there will be rooting for vince young.

Pretty funny.

Sure Richard said that. Let me guess, you saw him on PTI, right? You get all of your "news" and insight from ESPN, don't you?

Funny, because he was on the local radio station yesterday and said the complete opposite. So either you are full of it or Richard was saying it in jest. The point is that you took it completely out of context, as usual, and said it to fit your agenda. I'm sure you will spin it until the cows come home but I know the truth.

Back on topic...

It's baby back ribs and sausage tomorrow. Marinate the ribs with rub and give them a Shiner bath tonight, wake up about 6 tomorrow and put the ribs in the oven for about 2 hours, and then finish them off on the grill for another hour or so. I'm salavating just thinking about them image

As I said earlier, I wish Vince the best with his career. Considering what Bud did to his Godfather, hopefully Vince will bail for free-agency with his first opportunity and finish out his career back home image In the meantime, I hope he gets his face stomped every time he plays the Texans image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some good looking wings stown !!!!! YUM image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

<< <i>Those are some good looking wings stown !!!!! YUM image >>

Thanks image It was my first time grilling wings and was just a tad concerned how they would come out.

Really easy recipe: Heat up a lot of butter, hot sauce, and garlic. Add some honey, worcester (sp?) sauce, lemon, onion powder, salt and pepper. Let cool, combine it with the wings in a gallon ziplock, and marinate overnight in the fridge. Took about 30 minutes on a hot grill turning frequently.

Good stuff image
    I am making wings for the Giants / Panthers game tomorrow! Not even close to your recipe stown but I am hoping for similiar results image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• I've got a medium-sized play on Houston tomorrow.

Are you going to the game?
    You can't take the spicy stuff, huh image They should only take about 30 minutes. Leave the top on and just flip them every 5 minutes or so; should come out nice and juicy image (edited to add: I had sauce on them, so could have taken 5 - 10 mins longer rather than dry)

Yes, going to the game. Ribs are getting happy-happy in the fridge and I decided to get corn instead of sausage.

Mom would be proud image

<< <i>You can't take the spicy stuff, huh image >>

Oh don't be mistaken. I have not met a wing yet that has not been defeated ...... what I am making today is the "family friendly" version as opposed to the "beer drinkin with the guys" version. The latter of course would be felt for DAYS . The wings have been bathing in a garlic, lemon and black pepper sauce since last night image

NICE image

They shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Just keep the lid on and keep turning them. If you have the drumsticks, make sure each side gets direct heat (ie 1/4 turns).

I've been up since 6 and the ribs have another 45 minutes in the oven. I'm not going to lie, my apartment smells abso-freakin-ly amazing image
    Texans fans are cheering against their team because VY makes a big play. Disgraceful.
    David Carr seriously needs to learn how to throw the ball away when there's no one open and he's rolling out of the pocket. He's gotta stop eating the sack.
    Defensive going soft with a 4th quarter lead. Same Texans, different week. Can anyone here tackle?
  • LMFAO, who should the texans have drafted?

Dom Capers, Gary Kubiak, whatever. There must be something about being employed by the Houston Texans to prevent you from playing tough defense in the 4th quarter and overtime. This team is picking up where Capers left off when it comes to playing soft "not to lose" defense late in the game.

They really do need to change the sudden death OT in the NFL which doesn't even guarantee each team a possession. This is one of those things, like the lack of D1-A playoffs, that are extremely unpopular with many fans but which the powers that be refuse to change.
  • The team that wins the coin-toss in OT only has a very slight edge... that is unless the team on defense is doomed to bottom-feeding for another decade.
    Half of me was out due to the Texans losing but the other half was ecstatic for VY. If I were to guess, about 10% of the crowd was for VY but otherwise, it was LOUD for the Texans. I'm glad VY crushed us because it goes to show upper management that Carr is done. Period. His career will not advance in Houston regardless of what we do...

I can hear it now, "And with their first pick, the Houston Texans (# 4 or 5) take Brady Quinn / Troy Smith (who ever is available)."

Charlie foooooked up our team big time and it's time to go in another direction. David, I wish you the best where ever you end up. You had some great skills but shouldn't have started for an expansion team. You have become gun shy and need a different environment to possibly prosper. All I know is you should not be here.

Sorry bro but it's time to part ways image

Yes, I took a ton of pics of VY... Blow me image

stown .... nice pics all season long! Keep em coming. Especially of the food!

<< <i>stown .... nice pics all season long! Keep em coming. Especially of the food! >>

Thanks image

How were your wings?!?!
    Nice pics. What's that wet stuff on the pavement? You Gulf coasters have gotta share that stuff with the rest of the state.
    So we play the Pats and currently getting 11 points on the spread.

I'm not putting any action on this game but have a feeling we are going to be very competative. Should be a close one but wouldn't be surprised if we get blown out of the water.

Oh to be a Texan fan image
    : sighs :
    Bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with Charizo sausage (sauteed with red onions and garlic), cream, cheddar, and monterray (sp) jack cheeses. Wings with super duper hot garlic marinade sauce (I backed down on the first try, no lie). And then some fat brats being poached in Shiner beer and onions then finished off with some grill marks.

The game may be brutal but the tailgating is going to be YUM-O image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Stuff !!!!
    Well, it's raining but the tailgating MUST go on.

I have two parties after the game, so I know that I'm going to be hating life tomorrow morning image
    Texans up 21-14 in the middle of the 3rd.

I think the smart money would have been on the Texans and the 9.5 points. They're at home, the Colts stink in December and may not feel like they have much to play for. This, on the other hand, is basically Houston's big game for the rest of the year.

One more interesting thing: We're not getting Texans games broadcast in Austin much any more. They've been replaced with Titans games just about every week. Wonder why?
    Not surprised at all that Houston won. With all the factors I mentioned above, while I wouldn't predict an outright win, taking them and 9.5 points at home seemed to be an easy choice.

Don't bet against Indy before December. Don't bet ON them in December and January.
    Wow, what a game image

Carr got absolutely crushed on this play.

And the snap is off..

For the win...

And the kick is....................

It's good! It's good! It's good!

Once again THX for the Pics, how is your butt feeling after eating those pepper things? Congrats on a great win !

<< <i>Once again THX for the Pics, how is your butt feeling after eating those pepper things? Congrats on a great win ! >>

At the time, it was so worth it. In hindsight, not so much image

<< <i>

<< <i>Once again THX for the Pics, how is your butt feeling after eating those pepper things? Congrats on a great win ! >>

At the time, it was so worth it. In hindsight, not so much image >>

imageimage
    Even though we didn't make the playoffs, I was happy to see back-to-back wins to close out the season. We have some issues to resolve during the off season but I'm excited about our future. Charlie really screwed us up but hindsight is 50/50. Kubes and Smith will evaluate our roster from top to bottom and make improvements.

And to Tinkerbell, who spewed sooooooooooooooooooo much crud (because it wasn't even smack, just imageimageimage ), my team was better than yours this year image

Here is rookie Chris Taylor's first NFL touchdown. Signed him off the practice squad 2 weeks ago and he's got crazy fast speed. Dane tweaked his ankle during warm-ups and Chris suddenly became the featured back. Responded with 99 yards and a TD. I know it was just the Browns but this kid will be a name soon..

Here's to the other hometown fans that have to put up with cruddy teams. When they win (be it sooner or later), victory will be more appreciated than a bandwagoner's image

Congrats to DeMeco Ryans for winning the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year image

Link

Letter from the Texans. Sorry in advance for any typos image

Dear Mr. stown image

Thank you for your loyal support of the Houston Texans. As a season ticket holder, you are a valued member of the Houston Texans "family" and we wanted to give you an insider's perspective on the future of this franchise.

Over the past year, Gary Kubiak and I have been working hard to establish our system which we know will produce a competitive team in the National Football League. Our 2006 draft class was the best in franchise history and players like DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Owen Daniels have made an immediate impact and will be an integral part of our game plan in the future. Talented veterans like Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, and others are providing the leadership needed to build a winner and we hope to add to this group through free agency and the 2007 draft.

Despite the frustrations in the last few years, our current coaching staff is one of the best in the game. They have worked hard with our players to develop the habits that iwll make this organization a champion. Success always comes with a price. We know that you paid some dues in the past few years, but I am pleased to let you know that we are making good progress. Our players have passion for this game and will not give up hope.

Currently our entire fron office is consumed with preparations for free agency and for the NFL Draft this April because we know that championship teams are built in the off-season. We hope to match or even exceed or draft day success from 2006 and take anotehr step towards becoming a dominant forec within the National Football League. Houston is a great city that deserves a championship-caliber football team. It's our job to give it to you, and we will!

Again, we appreciate the patience that you have shown this past year and we want to assure you that your patience will be rewarded in the future by the pay on the field. We have a bright future and we look forward to experiencing many wins with our loyal fans in the seasons to come.

Go Texans!

Rick Smith
    General Mananger
    Houston Texans

-------------------------------------

Funny, no mention of Carr image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Domanick Davis.
    Mike
    Bosox1976