Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    OilCanDanOilCanDan Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I honestly could not believe some of the prices that were hit last night. $300+ for 9's that weren't even all that low pop. $1,275 for a 9 Aparicio?? Wow! I took a brief look and it seems that there's at least a 20% premium on Coops' cards over like cards that have closed in the recent past. In other words, I found that (example only) card #234 in a PSA 8 sold for $200 two weeks ago but sold for $240 last night. And the cards look to be centered the same.

Anyway, this set is indeed HOT right now. It's absolutely insane.
  • Options
    OCD:

The Aparicio, along with the Kaline, is the toughest card in the set to find centered in high grade. This one was on the money.

AZ
  • Options
    Thought it was interesting that while the Repulski had PSA 8 sales (that I had tracked) of 344/331/416/430, a 9 sold by TripleSSS tonght only goes for $560? image
    Rip 9
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Kurt, that is interesting that the 9 did not go too much higher than the recent 8's have gone.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I have a second chance to buy the Pierce AS at $2,030--means at least two bidders reneged on high bids?

Strange.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    I dont trust this new EBAY hidden bidder system...its just too darn easy to shill...you have to be a damn FBI agent to figure out shilling under their new system....before it was more obvious when a bid was a shill.....

be careful Dav...that seems fishy to me....
  • Options
    Don,

What do you think?

$3600 -plus winning bid--now I can buy for $2,030?
  • Options
    Seems very odd to me. I was just below you at like $2,025 or something and if it were me I'd have a hard time deciding. That said, I suspect he could relist it and get around that much, but then again who knows?
  • Options
    I have 5 days to decide it says.
  • Options
    Jim:

Had a friend bid this past weekend on an Andy Pettitte PSA DNA signed baseball at $69 and change. He was outbid twice and the ball sold at $125 to Bidder #3. My friend gets a second chance email from the seller offering him another ball at $69.

I would be careful regarding the Pierce card. I hate this hidden bidder stuff.

AZ
  • Options
    Another thought Jim.

Ask him for the cert number and see if it's the same as the closed Pierce.
  • Options

<< <i>I have 5 days to decide it says. >>

Jim,

I assume you went through "my ebay" and not an email to insure it wasn't a scam?
    A few days ago, I got one of those scam "2nd chance offers" on the 59 RC Stevens that Dan won and I was the underbidder.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the heads-up.

It was a private e-mail I got.
  • Options
    So it was most likely a scam then, huh?

I don't know how some people can live with themselves...
  • Options
    Dav It is a scam. I got a 2nd chance offer I called the seller,he told me it was a scam
    JTM
  • Options
    Dav-Has to be a scam.........the winning bidder on the card has been buying 59's for the past year and has paid some hefty prices.I've sold him a couple and he is as good as gold.........can't imagine him backing out at any price no matter what the cost.Don't even respond.
  • Options
    Jim.....

You have received some great advice. There is no doubt that you were the recipient of an ebay scam. I have heard about others getting the second chance offers, even some of the buyers from me have contacted me because they were getting second chance offers (which I did not send). The scammers are getting more creative and sophisticated in their scams. I delete or send to ebay security all the stuff that I get. I can't imagine how many people they may have fooled into thinking the different scam emails are legit. Of course, when someone loses their money, then they figure it out very quickly.

Steve is right on. I also know the winner of the Pierce card and he has been a strong buyer of 1959's for almost two years now ( and many from me)....not to mention that he has perfect ebay feedback. There is not a chance of a snowball in hell that he reneged on that card. Interestingly enough, four different bidders all went over the $3 grand mark in their bidding, so the sales price was no fluke.

I am really glad you asked about the strange offer you got because none of us want to see our fellow collectors get burned. We are all family here.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thank you again everyone.

This looks like an official ebay notice in every way imaginable.

If you would like me to forward it to you provide your e-mail. I have never seen anything like it.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim

If it isnt in your inbox folder at my eBay, then it's a fake email. Also, foward it to spoof@eBay.com, and they will get back to you about it.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    It is 98% likely to be a scam. With the credibility of the buyer being so strong the only possiblility of this being legit is if the seller has two such cards. As mentioned click "My Messages" while in "My Ebay" and if you do not see the second chance offer the case is closed. If the message is there, ask the seller a question and verify if it is the exact card being sold and if it is why the buyer backed out.
  • Options
    Thanks Nam.

Do not believe it is in my inbox folder on ebay.

Jim
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to see historic prices on ebay? I'm looking to see what the most recent PSA 8 Mickey Vernon's have sold for.
  • Options
    Dan....

You can do a search for completed items and type in 1959 Topps Vernon PSA 8 but it only shows stuff for the last several weeks. It probably won't give you much info. I will tell you that the Vernon's that I am aware of have been going in the $300 range, give or take a few shackles.

Ebay is not a good place to try to find a history of prices for cards.

Try this site. You will have to subscribe to it but it does give a good history of card sales. I am a member.

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know how to see historic prices on ebay? I'm looking to see what the most recent PSA 8 Mickey Vernon's have sold for. >>

ones I have tracked: 293/248/283/133 The $133 is very recent... not sure when the others were.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Thanks Don...

And Kurt...

• Options
    Just thought that I would post a few scans of recent acquisitions.....a little more eye-candy.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Great looking cards, Don! One of these days I'm going to buy a scanner (any recommendations) then I'll post some of mine, too.

Also, thanks for the tip on the vintagecardprices website. I signed up and am very impressed with the layout and really everything. Thanks, and good luck on your auctions that end tonight (I hope to win one or two).
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just thought that I would post a few scans of recent acquisitions.....a little more eye-candy.

image >>

Don

Where do you find this stuff?

Tony
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Attention 59 Sellers.

Could you please start indicating wherher the backs of cards #199 to 286 are grey or cream colored backs.PLEEEEEEEEEASE,Pretty Please.
    I know I am not the only one that needs to know.PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!

Tony

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Dan, your welcome.

Tony, I bought a nice group in several different private transactions plus a couple off of ebay. You are right, more than a few collectors do try to get both the grey and white backs.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Couple more.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff Don!

Tony
  • Options
    Thanks, Tony!

Here is the Coates card that Dan won tonight. It will look good in his collection!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Great looking cards, guys !

I was at the Hofstra LI show this past weekend and at least 3 1959 raw sets sold. Two were vg-ex and the third a solid ex. Greg Dragos from Raleigh NC bought the ex set and took it home with him to bust and sell singles. The Pierce AS (for those who just sat up and took notice) was way OC, probably miscut.

The other big buyer of 1959 raw to get graded is Mike from Columbia MD. His EBAY ID is siriussports1. You probably won't find any 9's with him but he usually gets a lot of 7's and 8's. Mike has a great eye and is very patient. Follow his auctions.

Pittsburgh show in 3 weeks is also a great place to find a lot of vintage. It is at the Robert Morris College. I will be there and if you get a chance to stop by my table, say hello!

AZ
  • Options
    Al, very interesting about 3 1959 Topps raw sets selling.

The latest chapter in the sale of Coop's cards by Mark ended tonight with another $9.1K in the bank. That brings the cumulative total to a whopping $70.4K with about 132 cards left to sell. I stand by my prediction that this total tally will hit the $90K mark. I bought 5 of the PSA 9's myself. I am especially happy with the Colavito PSA 9 I won. Also picked up Smoky Burgess, Douglas, Griggs and Aspromonte in 9's.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don.........I don't doubt your prediction at all now.Coop may make $90K easily...........even though the 9's weren't too high tonight and several of the recent heavy hitters weren't around.Maybe the market for 9's has been saturated lately between Coop and John Blattner's recent sales.I picked up four of the 9's this evening,myself.Nuxhall,Crandall,Herzog and one I didn't need, but couldn't pass on the price,the Braves team card.
    I feel that the prices will pick back up after next week and the 500 series shows......if several of them sell like the Moon 8 that sold last night did,he may get close to $100K..............by the way Don,congrats on the Moon sale.....great looking card,in fact,all of the ones you sold last night looked great..........all seemed to be very high end 8's
  • Options
    thanks, Steve....yes, they were very high end cards. The Moon was superb and the centering was perfect which is probably why it went for such a strong price.

Congrats on the 9's you picked up tonight.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Congrats to you both tonight. I have to scale back a little as I've blown more than I should out of the gate here, but I've picked up a nice chunk of the set along with a few of the tough ones. Even if I'm not landing any of them, I can't wait to see Coop's high numbers go off. I expect to see some crazy prices!
  • Options
    Nice sale on the Moon card, Don ! I was away and couldn't follow it.

I also won some cards (5) the other night. All high pops and I really didn't want to bid on them because the 8's I have of them are so nicely centered and look just as good. Well the 8's will find a good home soon.

So Steve and Don...what are our sets worth? Time to sell?

AZ
  • Options
    Thanks, Al!

Which 5 PSA 9's did you win?

Al, your set, Steve's, Coop's and mine are all comparable. We all are/were within a few points of each other on the registry. I think the final total on Coop's will be a very good barometer of what Steve's, your set and my set are really worth. I think the values for the most part will hold over time. Just my opinion.

Should we sell? LOL! Not me, I enjoy my set too much but if I needed the money I guess that I would. Fortunately, I don't need to do that.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Don-

I thought it was pretty wild that five of your commons/semis outsold the Drysdale in the same grade.

Keep showing the scans, they are incredible.

• Options
    Sagard.....

Yes, five of them did outsell the Drysdale. The fact that there are 275 8's and 48 9's of Drysdale might have something to do with the softer prices on that card.

Thanks on the scans.....here are a couple more.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
  • Options
    Al-

I'm like Don....I don't have any plans on selling anytime in the near future,but with the renewed interest and some of the prices Coop has fetched,it certainly is something to consider..............While my set, along with yours and Don's,is somewhat comparable to Coop's set, I doubt if we could duplicate his success in the short run . Recent prices have brought a lot of inventory onto the market and I think it will take a little time to build up a new round of spirited demand.This set is like any other with peaks and valleys in prices,but it seems that the 59's keep ratcheting higher each time demand increases.
    It still amazes me that Coop was willing to entertain an offer for his in the $55K range a few months ago and now he's on the verge of grossing $90K by selling cards individually.He didn't get any offers at $55...............someone could have turned a fast buck if they had the nerve and $55K to flip the set. That just shows you how fast these prices can turn.I've been a buyer and seller of 59's for the past three years now and can't guess within $200 or $300 what some of the low pop PSA 8 commons will bring.Not to mention missing the Pierce All Star card by $2000............with all that being said........we could probably expect a $70,000 to $80,000 price for our sets given current conditions and I would wait until next Spring if I were serious about selling.
    If I did sell,I would probably start all over again and build another one.........just love the set.I bet Coop becomes a buyer of 8's and 9's again as he will upgrade his "Jr" Set as soon as his sale is over.
  • Options
    I'm wrong again..........Coop is selling his Jr set in Mile High's Spring Auction........thought for sure he would upgrade.Brian already has it,so I guess it's a done deal.Still think he will be a buyer of 59's
  • Options
    Steve....very interesting, thanks for the info. I am surprised actually.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Coop is at $79.7K with 60 high numbers left to auction.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hi Guys !

Was at a show this weekend and just got a chance to read your posts.

I am watching many of the bidder IDs on the 9's and I think many of them are speculators who think these cards are going higher for resale thru another bidder ID. The 8's are generally going to collectors below us (and some speculators for low pops). So I think when this group dries up, you will see some stability, but not a major decline since the lower guys are vying to improve for valuation reasons. There are also some buyers who are not on the set registry. They prefer to remain anonymous. I have met a few at Chicago shows. They are very passionate but tend to fly below the radar.

IMHO, if you consign to an auction house, the bidders and buyers for the most part are national dealers who act on their own or in conjunction with another dealer(s) to buy and break up the set. Scott Bradshaw comes to mind. As such, I don't see getting top dollar (since they have to make money) less your juice at 15%.

I don't see too many collectors that are willing to lay out that cash (plus juice) for a set like ours. They, like us, would prefer to pay a higher premium for that special card(s) they need.

Last year, a national dealer offered me $45,000 at the Sun Times show in Chicago. Then this past month or so, he upped it to $55,000. I think the magic number is north of there but not sure where. I do agree with Don that we can do it ourselves.

AZ
  • Options
    As a somewhat new '59 collector I have a question for some of you veterens - has there historically been such a large supply of 8+ 59's on eBay? I really only started paying attention in February but the difference between then and now is dramatic. It seems that 3 or 4 nights per week there's a huge run of 8 & 9's available. Is this increase due to baseball season being in play, or perhaps it's just due to increased demand of late, or is this just natural? Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm just curious to get your sense of what's going on...

Many thanks in advance. I have a scanner on the way and once I have it hooked up I'll try posting a few of my cards.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I just had to comment that these '59s in high-grade are absolutely beautiful! Congrats on some great cards!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards