So, let's see his card image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Don

That Throneberry is just a tad off of being a 10 cuz of the little red bleeding on the lower right border.OMG that card is a blazer.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tony. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Al
  • Options
    A Gem Mint 10 1959 Topps!! Outstanding, Al!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    First, I have spent 4 hours reading through every post in this thread. I am adding to my 59's and this thread has really, really fired me up. While I think Al's card of St. Nick appears to be a fake (the leaf logo should have 7 leaves - image), I am hoping Santa helps add to my collection yet this year. Second, with all those great "9's" showing up, I hope you guys let the rest of us know when you have some of your "rejects" up for sale. I did pick up three of Don's "8,s" off ebay about a month ago and I am proud to be the new owner of those great cards. Third, I do have my first PSA submission in to PSA under the 56 and post rate for 50 or more cards. I sent 64 cards (most of which are from my childhood collection) with 40 of them 1959 and 24 are 1956. I am not expecting to see any results for another month or so. Finally, "Thank You" to all you pros who really know the 59 set. I have learned so much and I appreciate your tutoring and sense of humor. Just a great thread.

Jim-59Horsehide
  • Options
    Fun following the 1959 set break being offerred by PWCC on ebay this evening - 12/16/14. Does anyone know who the owner/consignor is? Really nice cards.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim, so glad that you are enjoying this 1959 Topps thread. Good luck on your PSA submissions!

Many of the cards in the PWCC auction last night belonged to Dr. Steve Neely who used to own the finest 1959 Topps set ever assembled. He retired it, but before he sold it off, I was fortunate to buy some great cards from him last summer. He sold to Harvey Cohen who blended his great set with the cards that he bought from Steve into, now, the finest set ever. The set you see as #1 now is that set. I also bought some cards from Harvey before he sold the remaining cards that he did not need for his set to PWCC. The auction you saw last night were those cards. I did manage to win 24 more cards from the auction last night. I just updated them to my set on the registry. I am very pleased with the cards that I won.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    The President was right, the rich just keep getting richer. There is a definite quality divide going on here image

Al
  • Options
    Don -- what do you need to get the master with pack set to 100 %

Al
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS, Don, on the 24 outstanding additions to your set. What a blast it was to watch those cards roll off the board. I am sure there are many more happy '59 owners out there who made some great acquisitions. I really appreciated you sharing the background of this auction and the history of other registry owners of the past. I have added my cards to the registry - "59Horsehide". Started at #130 and moved up to #111 - lol. I have 30+ BVG graded cards that are very nice and I am really torn as to leaving them as is or sending to PSA. I see there is a provision for adding non-PSA cards which will not impact rankings. I might try adding one to see how it shows up in the inventory or registry. My 59 sub to PSA will show me more how my BVG cards might stack up with PSA and should help with my decision to breakout or not. Thanks again and "Merry Christmas".

Jim
  • Options
    kidsoxkidsox Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Just want to say how much I enjoy this thread and thanks to all who keep it on page 1. There currently seem to be many 9s on ebay, a Mantle 461 for instance, which I'll bid on. Of course, there are 9s and THERE ARE 9S. I can't justify offering big bucks for those depicted against a white background, because you can't really see the corners. My Christmas wish is that sellers provide a contrasting background and help themselves to attract more bids.
  • Options
    Al....I just enjoy the 1959's but I doubt that I will ever get to an overall 9 master set with a wax pack.

Jim....so glad that you are diving into the 1959's for collecting and that you are enjoying them as much as I am! Glad to see your set on the registry.

kidsox....that PSA 9 Mantle you mentioned on ebay is soooo nice...I hope you win it! Please let us know if you do.

I have five really nice 1959's starting on ebay tonight. I probably will have about 20 more listed on ebay starting Tuesday night if I find the time to list them. Please check them out.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    One of a few recent additions.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Great card of a guy with a great baseball name

Al
  • Options
    Yes, it is, Al. Happy New Year to you and all of our fellow collectors here on CU!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    It doesn't happen to have a traded to the cardinals line on the back does it image. Hobby lore has it that such a card, as well as the yellow name Bauer exist

Al
  • Options
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Al, yes the White card has the traded to Cards line on the back of it, but I think all the White cards have that line. I am not aware of any without it like the Hanebrink, Lumenti, Nichols, cards do.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don--right, I had it backwards. Hobby lore has it that there was a proof or early card without that line, but i have never seen one or a scan of it.

Here are 3 more minor print defects that are recurring. The Zimmer partially missing O in Dodgers and the damaged r in Brown are easy to find on ebay. The botched Cubs on Singleton is very tough. There are different degrees of the defect on the Zimmer and Singleton

Al
  • Options
    And here is Elmer, with some yellow in the bottom border, a defect that occurs on other 59 cards. The small black line above the bottom border on Sauer is also recurring

Al
  • Options
    Al, you are the king of variations...I love it!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Al, any more variations to show us?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I really enjoy reading about the '59s. To "bishop" and others who have contributed 1959 card history - is what you report/post based on your own research, discovery, knowledge, etc.? If not, where do you find all this information? Keep the card pics and the variety details coming. Thanks, everyone, for your posts.

Jim
  • Options
    Currently on a Circle South America cruise on Oceania, 71 days from Miami to Miami. Left 1-15, returning 3-28. Just through the Caribbean and heading toward Panama Canal. Honduras today. Belize yesterday. Then down west coast, around Horn and up east coast. Side trip down Amazon and overland trips to Machu Picchu ad Iguazu Falls.

Looking for retired 59ers along the way. So far I learned in Tikal that the Mayans predicted the 1959 Topps set in 400 BC

Al
  • Options
    LOL....good stuff, Al!

Enjoy your trip!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    1959 Topps has some tough Phillies cards in the set....Phillie collectors know that all too well....Amaro, Hegan, Ashburn, and the Bouchee in a 9 is not that easy either.

Just got this one in the mail yesterday.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    If you have not yet made it to the Cape, you need to stop in and see my friends at Cape Horn Cards. The owner is RonRico Yoder (yeah, he is Amish). They are handing out complete 1959 sets in MINT condition to anyone interested.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry about the empty replies. I've been trying to post photos of a panal published by Beckett's in 1989. The panal contains six 1959 style baseball cards of stars from 1989 (Canseco, Gwynn, Dawson, Strawberry, Winfield, and a "Rookie Stars Of 1989" of Darryl Hamilton). Maybe you guys remember them. I just can't seem to get the attachment to work. I'll try again later when my computer expert gets home from work.
  • Options
    Not actually stopping on the Horn, can he meet me at Fort Stanley in the Falklands on 2-18

Don, surprised you would post sex offenders on the board

Currently in Ecuador. They seem stuck on soccer her...even though they call it football.

Ship says they will broadcast the Superbowl

Al
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    The Sawatski and White card are beauties and difficult................Great Job!!!
    Don u are the Guru!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Carrying over a discussion from the main sports card forum: cards 199-286 in this set can be found with either white backs or gray backs, as you know. Why doesn't PSA differentiate these on the labels, like they do with 56 Topps?
  • Options
    thanks, Tony!

Dan, this is a very good question. The same can be said about the 1960 Topps set.

This was also true for a long time with the 1962 Topps green tints, but as we all know, PSA does grade those now and they have created a Super Master Set for those separately from the 1962 Topps Master Set.

I suspect if a collector or collectors requested them to grade the gray versus white back variations, they would do it.....probably have not been asked to do it.

My guess is they would like to grade the variations because that would equate to more grading fees from collectors who want to pursue their registry sets with those variations. Personnaly, I am indifferent to them, but that is just me.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    On all of my and on all of the cards I have seen on the Lee walls card there is yellow ink along the right lower border seemingly blending in with the green border...IS this on all of Walls cards or are their some without the yellow.
  • Options
    1959, I believe it is on all of the Walls cards. I have never seen one without that small area of yellow.

Al probably has some good input on that card as he knows more about variations that anyone that I know.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    All the Walls cards that I have seen have the yellow streak down the lower right border area.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bump
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hello to all!! I am new to collecting the 1959 Topps. Well, just collecting the Braves Team anyway. I hope to get all the TRUE homerun king Hank cards in a PSA 9. Everything else can be a mix of 8's for the pricey ones, 9's and 10's for the common. I think it is great that 9's and 10's can be obtained at decent prices in this set! I look forward to putting together the Braves set, and slowly bumping up when I can. I just registered on the 1959 Braves Team page, but I only have 4 cards so far, I just started. I would like to share my first catch. Amazing example of a PSA 10! 4 sharp corners, 4 smooth edges, 50/50 front and back! really like this card! The knowledge on this thread is amazing as well! I appreciate any tips from you experts, as I am a baby for this set. Just learning about it.

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 419 MILWAUKEE BRAVES TEAM PSA 10 1 of 3_zpsezqiejsy.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Sweet Braves team card....congratulations!

Welcome to our 1959 Topps thread. We would love to hear more about your collecting.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet Braves team card....congratulations!

Welcome to our 1959 Topps thread. We would love to hear more about your collecting. >>

Thank you! My collecting was all over the place, pre 1991 braves, tigers, 49ers, chargers, lakers. It was hard for me to decide what to keep, what to let go. So I made up my mind to just focus on one or two sets. To find that balance of price in being able to get some PSA 9's and/or 10's, without breaking the bank, along with it being vintage. And as you can see it is 1959 Topps Braves team set. Very happy with my choice. I really like the late 1950's braves players, so it was easy to pick this set.

I just picked up a Crandall PSA 9, that was cool. I hope to fill out the set in mostly PSA 8/8.5, along with affordable common 9's, and the occasional common 10.
  • Options
    Just came in the mail today....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Very nice!!! That card is a perfect example on why I like the 1959 set. Great pose, the field, player in the background, the stadium. Makes me wish I could go back in time and be there. Great PSA 9! Makes me want to do the Tigers set when done with Braves..............
  • Options
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    very nice red sox team card!! was it a sub? or a pick up? I picked up a blank back/salesman sample. if I am correct psa did not holder many, and than stopped. so i am glad I got this one. I would like to find a panel someday, if they exist.

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 27 ANDY PAFKO BLANK BACK SALESMAN SAMPLE PSA_zpsocsix2bu.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options