Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Postcard Collectors - Post pictures of your new finds (worth the look)

Comments

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    That Waner is nice. Don't see those too often.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Nov 1928., First game at the old Gahden, Bs vs Les Habitants.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's always nice to see a PC and the original pic it was created off of - superb!

Thanx for sharing.

Even I wasn't around in 1928! image
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Even I wasn't around in 1928! image >>

You weren't?? Where were ya?! <scratching head...> imageimage

Nice PCs scanned here, too, by the way! I've never seen a hockey postcard, although I've never been looking for one. I will be from now on.

I'm really growing to like the old Exhibit cards, too. The 1921 Walter Johnson (posted earlier) is high on my wantlist!
  • Options
    Here are a few of mine -

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Any idea what year this pic was taken?? It's amazing what shows up in this thread!!
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently purchased these exhibits. I like the fielding pose of the George Sisler card.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I don't recall if this site has been posted here, but
    it is useful.

http://cardcow.blogspot.com/

It will help you look for the expensive stuff when
    picking thru bargain bins.

The site lists high-price sales of different cards
    each month.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    1910 Comiskey. Ironically, "NO BETTING ALLOWED IN THIS PARK";

• Options
    Here are a few Exhibit postcards of hall of famers from the 1920's that I have picked up over the last month. I was very happy to get the Jimmy Foxx as it is his rookie card.

Phil

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Jean Harlow

slightly bigger than 52' Topps cards
  • Options
    Look what showed up today!!!

• Options
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options

<< <i>Look what showed up today!!!

That is awesome. Congratulations.

image >>

• Options
    Nice. I always enjoy paging through this thread and reviewing all the great PC pics.

Here's a generic baseball image from 1910 I found at an antiques show in Portland, OR, last month. I just really enjoyed the embossed image...

imageimage
  • Options
    Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few of mine
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Here are four of my favorite post cards I have picked up over the years.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I've always liked that Ruth Japanese postcard. I've been looking for one for a while. It's from 1928 I believe and was issued for a Japanese youth club (Shonen Kulubu??)...at least that's what I marked it in my postcard book a few years ago after seeing some info on it.

-Claude
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Here is the information from the 2010 Standard Baseball Catalog. Hope this helps.

1928 Shonen Kulubu Babe Ruth Postcard

This card, which the Japanese inscription describes as picturing Babe Ruth hitting his first home run of 1926, was part of a multi-sport premium issue by the Japanese magazine Shonen Kubulu (“Youth Club”). The front has a colorized black-and-white photo, with blue inscriptions at right. Back is in blue with standard international postcard indicia.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Early Years
    Macauley spent his prep school days at St. Louis University High School, then went on to Saint Louis University, where his team won the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship in 1948. He was named the AP Player of the Year in 1949.

NBA Player
    Macauley played in the NBA with the St. Louis Bombers, Boston Celtics, and St. Louis Hawks. Macauley was named MVP of the first NBA All-Star Game (he played in the first seven), and was named to the NBA's All-NBA First Team three consecutive seasons. He was named to the All-NBA second team once, in 1953-54 — the same season he led the league in field goal percentage. On April 29, 1956 Macauley's trade (with Cliff Hagan) to St. Louis brought Bill Russell to the Celtics. Macauley scored 11,234 points in ten NBA seasons. His number was retired by the Boston Celtics on October 16, 1963. He has a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

(note by me: Ed was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960.)

Coaching Career
    Macauley coached the St. Louis Hawks for the 1958-59 and 1959-60 seasons. He finished with an 89-48 record. In the 1960 playoffs the Hawks defeated the mighty Minneapolis Lakers, led by George Mikan, 4 games to 3. They then lost in the NBA Finals to the Boston Celtics, 4 games to 3. Macauley coached the West squad to a victory over the favored East, coached by Celtics chief Red Auerbach, in the 1959 NBA All-Star Game.

After retiring from sports in 1960 he became a television sports announcer in St. Louis. One of his favorite observations is, "When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win."

Source: hoopedia.nba.com & me! LOL!

p.s. (a little spam: my postcard is for sale right now on ebay, ...fifteen bucks and NO BIDS, YIKES!)

Happy holidays to all!

rd

• Options
    Some grand ol' gals;

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Gawrsh, This thread has just keeled over image

Some may remember this old pc, from the beginning of Ken Burns Baseball documentary;

For the Super Bowl Champs fans., Early Green Bay pc, featuring an old Packers RB and City Stadium;
  • Options
    Cool PC's!

I wonder how much the ice cream guy got to advertise the BB game?
    Mike
  • Options
    this one is dated 1906. I love the old time mitts:
  • Options
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    "Please Carol, can LSU come back to play?"
  • Options
    Cinci's Palace of the Fans with Huggy. Morgan Stationary's Red Belt series.
  • Options
    Im enjoying the Hell out of this thread image

• Options

<< <i>Here's a generic baseball image from 1910 I found at an antiques show in Portland, OR, last month. I just really enjoyed the embossed image...

imageimage >>

I just came back from another of the antique shows at the Expo Ctr in Portland and found another embossed card like the one above. It also has an early 20th century postmark of 1908, I think. Here's the scans:

imageimage
  • Options
    Tho I don't collect them Mike - I always enjoy what you guys pick up!

Very nice card. A penny to send - it stayed a penny for a very long time - not so today!

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Tho I don't collect them Mike - I always enjoy what you guys pick up!

Very nice card. A penny to send - it stayed a penny for a very long time - not so today!

Thanx for sharing. >>

Glad to see others enjoying these cards so much, too!

I picked up more PCs of old Metropolitan Stadium in MN also:

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Neat stuff everyone.

I hope you all don't mind me asking, but what percentage of your finds are from ebay vs. other sources?

I'm guessing antique stores are another good source? Thanks!

Robert
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great postcards everyone. The embossed ones are really cool...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Hi Mike

Ya gotta like the way they put the pennant in the one PC and the "ball" in the other! If one wanted just a pure pic - then this would be a distraction - but from a collector POV - I think it's cool to have them that way. The pennant style reminds me of the 65T cards.

Good stuff Mike.
    Mike
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I love the prices written in pencil on the back. That would horrify a high grade card collector.
  • Options

<< <i>Neat stuff everyone.

I hope you all don't mind me asking, but what percentage of your finds are from ebay vs. other sources?

I'm guessing antique stores are another good source? Thanks!

Robert >>

Hey, Robert,

I don't think I've bought any PCs on eBay. I've always found plenty of them at antique shows and stores. I refuse to go through unsorted cards -- I only look through the sorted stuff as it saves a lot of time and I'm not tempted to buy other themes.

Best of luck on your hunt!
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Mike

Ya gotta like the way they put the pennant in the one PC and the "ball" in the other! If one wanted just a pure pic - then this would be a distraction - but from a collector POV - I think it's cool to have them that way. The pennant style reminds me of the 65T cards.

Good stuff Mike. >>

Thanks, again Stone! I've just got to find some way of inventorying what I've already bought. I think that one with the baseball flying away is one I've bought two other times. I was just so excited to finally find some of Met Stadium that I wasn't worried about that. I see a letter-number combo on the back of these three. I'm going to have to go through what I have and make a list.

You're right about that 65T design -- gotta love it! That was a great year for the Twins, too. Too bad they had to lose to the stinkin' Dodgers. Curse that Koufax!
  • Options

<< <i>Great postcards everyone. The embossed ones are really cool...image

Donato >>

Thanks! I was amazed to find a different embossed card on back-to-back shows. I'd never seen one before in years of searching!
  • Options

<< <i>I love the prices written in pencil on the back. That would horrify a high grade card collector. >>

Ain't that the truth, Tom. Fortunately I usually pay less than what the dealer asks for. Especially if I buy more than one and/or it's the last day of the show and they're eager to make a sale to lighten their return load.
  • Options
    I was happy to have picked up this 1957 Frank Robinson rookie team issue postcard for $8

• Options

<< <i>I was happy to have picked up this 1957 Frank Robinson rookie team issue postcard for $8 >>

That's a beautious card. Nice find!
  • Options
    Recent pickup!!

-Claude

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Any idea what year this pic was taken?? It's amazing what shows up in this thread!! >>

Hoof - this is from the start of the 1910-1911 season.
  • Options
    Here is a recent pickup....Steve Garvey rookie 1971 Team Issue.

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Garvey's rocking the farmer's tan!
  • Options
    Here is a recent Ripken I picked up.

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Very cool PC!

Not totally sure what the bullseye is for - looks like Wagner.

Thanx for resurrecting a really good thread - started by a good guy - wish we saw him more often.
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mike,

I believe it's for the pitcher or catcher, picking off the 2nd base steal. And yes, most think it's Wags. (We may never know) -Steve F

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That is Wagner and one of my favorite postcards. Some day!