Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Postcard Collectors - Post pictures of your new finds (worth the look)

I realized that the mail call thread has become all sportscards, so I decided to start a new thread for postcard collectors.

I collect mostly stadium postcards, but I saw this one and the price was right.

Nice postcard of a pennant winner. I've never seen a team photo linen postcard so I picked it up.

Comments

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a fe recent pickups. The first is from Sams Restaurant...he bought the 61st Maris homerun ball. The second is a Mantle
    Holiday Inn card, the 3rd is a Johnny Bench tem issue by Dexter Press....i dont know the year, if anyone knows please let me know.
    thanks-Claude

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Claude,
    I have both those Maris and Mantle postcards in my collection. Not often you can find photos of them from their playing days in street clothes.

I've never seen the Bench postcard though. Nice photo.
  • Options
    Heres a fe more: '
  • Options
    nice post. post cards dont get much respect in this forum. Here's my favorite

• Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Great thread and pics guys! image

This is a 1951 Coney Island Carl Willey postcard. The picture is of Carl playing for his first team in Ontario, Canada.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Cool postcards everyone. You know, PSA will grade most postcards too. I might send in the Munson and the Baseball Greats.
  • Options
    Great postcards guys. I have a few Dormand postcards graded, but I'm not sure it adds much value like it does for cards.

Here's one of my favorites from my collection. A Japanese Ruth that comes up every once in a while.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Here's a neat one from 1910... Cobb & Crawford are on it

• Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Great Detroit Tigers postcard. Anything vintage Ty Cobb is just awesome.
  • Options
    Nice Tigers card. I'll say it again, vintage postcards are one of the best collectibles.

Can't beat a vintage Cobb image.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I found these two at an antique store this afternoon. The price was right!

Does anyone have any idea what time period these may have been printed in? The backs don't offer any dates; in fact the Sykes is blank-banked (an "Exhibit" card?) and the Dempsey just has the typical Address/Message area.

[Edited to add that the cards are the same size -- the scans came out different sizes for some reason...]

imageimage

Nice cards posted earlier. Thanks for the inspiration to look for sports-themed cards!

• Options
    Oh, yeah, I found this in my Photobucket album -- something I had posted elsewhere once upon a time:

• Options
    Nice pick-ups. That Dempsey looks like a bargain.

Its a lot easier to find bargains with postcards than trading cards, thats for sure.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff - here's a linen postcard from the '40s:

These three are all from around 1910; the last one has McGraw in the inset:

BTW - here's a registry set for postcards. I haven't got any good scans up yet, but it's very high up there in my list of things to do with my new scanner.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Found this pc in my wife's belated aunt's pc collection. I seem to have a college-stadium theme started...

• Options
    Found some more stadium cards at an antique show today. There were hundreds of sports-related postcards at this show, so I really had to stay focused!

The first two are of Metropolitan Stadium where the Twins and Vikes played before the Metrodome was built...

hh
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a fe recent pickups. The first is from Sams Restaurant...he bought the 61st Maris homerun ball. The second is a Mantle
    Holiday Inn card, the 3rd is a Johnny Bench tem issue by Dexter Press....i dont know the year, if anyone knows please let me know.
    thanks-Claude >>

I saw one of the Maris and the 61st home run ball postcards today. It was in a stack of half-price stuff. As I was going throught the postcards, the dealer said, "When you get to a Roger Maris postcard, pull it out for me, will ya?" Dang! The price was $80.00. I might have bit on that card for 40 bucks. It was in great shape, too...
  • Options
    Hoof,
    I think you may have caught a break by not getting that Maris postcard. If you watch ebay for a while, that card will come up an not get a whole lot of interest. I bought one postally used off ebay for about $20.

Another postcard that comes up on ebay pretty frequently that I think is a good pickup is this Mantle card. It can be had pretty cheaply as well, and you don't often see Mick in street clothes.

I picked up this card about a month ago. It is the last one I needed to get stadium postcards for all 16 original major league franchises. I think it is the only vintage Griffith Stadium Postcard that was commercially produced (excluding some very rare Real Photo Postcards).

• Options
    Thanks for the tip on the Maris card. The guy did me a favor then by pulling it out "for a friend"!

Congratulations on completing that collection! I'm pretty sure I was watching the same auction for the Griffith Stadium postcard. I had thoughts of obtaining it for my Senators/Twins collection. Nice pick up! Maybe I'll get the next one that comes along.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kudos. I've got to get off my butt and scan my collection so I can share. I got lucky with the Griffith Stadium postcard. Someone put it up a buy it now with a reasonable price so I jumped on it. I've seen ones go on ebay well over $100.

I think postcards are a great value. I just hope that card dealers don't start looking at postcards, specifically graded postcards, as a way to expand the market.
  • Options

<< <i>I got lucky with the Griffith Stadium postcard. Someone put it up a buy it now with a reasonable price so I jumped on it. I've seen ones go on ebay well over $100. >>

R U kidding me??? Check out the auction I was monitoring on July 14th. The card went for less than $10 including s/h!

I won't let that good of a deal pass me by again!

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I think postcards are a great value. I just hope that card dealers don't start
    looking at postcards, specifically graded postcards, as a way to expand the market."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Very soon !

But, I suspect that sports-card dealers will not be in the vanguard.
    The largest postcard dealers will be.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some guys are asking a lot for PCs.

The BIN on this has been dropped but I think it's still high for a Garvey PC.

30 bucks?

I like the card tho.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>"I think postcards are a great value. I just hope that card dealers don't start
    looking at postcards, specifically graded postcards, as a way to expand the market."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Very soon !

But, I suspect that sports-card dealers will not be in the vanguard.
    The largest postcard dealers will be.

storm >>

At that antique show I was able to, for the first time, listen to an avid postcard collector talking with a knowledgable pc dealer about some cards. It was an ear-opener! It was like reading one of the specialty threads in some of these forums -- you can learn a lot just through osmosis! (OK, I'm tired and getting a little delirious, but you know what I'm trying to say...image)

• Options

<< <i>I think some guys are asking a lot for PCs.

The BIN on this has been dropped but I think it's still high for a Garvey PC.

30 bucks?

I like the card tho.

mike >>

Thirty bucks seems high to me, too, but to a Neiman collector?? Who knows. I wonder what a larger print would go for...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I got lucky with the Griffith Stadium postcard. Someone put it up a buy it now with a reasonable price so I jumped on it. I've seen ones go on ebay well over $100. >>

R U kidding me??? Check out the auction I was monitoring on July 14th. The card went for less than $10 including s/h!

I won't let that good of a deal pass me by again! >>

Hoof,
    Be careful. The auction stated:
    American League Postcard measures 6 1/2" by 4 3/4 inches. Near mint to Mint condition, never used or written on.
    From Taylor Publishing, produced in 1990 using original postcards for the era of the stadium.
    Sharp corners, perforations on one end.

There are some reproductions out there of hard to find postcards. I've never dealt with a seller that didn't disclose, but be careful.

My experience says monitor ebay for a while to get a good idea of what is available and what is costs. Also, decide if postally used is an issue for you.
    With cards it obviously is, but postcards were meant to be mailed and it is a good indication of provenance. Its also cool to see what people were writing back then.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tkd7,
    Great thread. I musta missed it when it first came up in June.
    I have about 100 vintage turn of the Century postcards in my collection.
    My DSL is down right now, but as soon as it comes up I will post some of them.
    I have some major League cards that are really nice to see and some minor league
    cards with major Leaguers on them. Don't let this thread die and I'll post them as soon as I can.
    Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Joe,
    That will be great to see! I think we are getting a good core group of collectors to keep it going!
    Tom
  • Options
    That Boston PC is in fine shape TK. Nice to see all these rare images.

From Joe's playing days in Cleveland;

• Options
    Hi Everyone, I have about 100 vintage Baseball postcards. Usually I don't have a place to show these so this thread was a good one for me. I thought I would post one or two a day until everyone got tired of them. I'll try to give a discription of some and some speak for themselves. Here goes.

brooklyn image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    This is a college team taken in 1910. One of our CU members told me that it might be a team from California. What makes this a little more rare and special is the it has a black player on the team. More tomorrow, enjoy. Joe

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Not sure why I did not mention this b4:

You need to be REALLY cautious on eBay b4
    you lay out big bucks - anything over about $125.00 -
    on "vintage postcards."

I guess my hard-drive has about 300 near-perfect images
    of many of the scarce cards. Combined with my OfficeDepot
    blanks and my nifty printer, I can EASILY fool just about any
    novice PC buyer.

PCs are MUCH easier to reprint, obviously, than sports-cards.
    Last year, I ran some tests at a couple of big collectible shows.
    I asked the experts/dealers to identify the "real cards." Each
    was certain that they had chosen the real ones; ALL of THE
    CARDS I showed them had been printed on my LEXMARK the
    week b4.

We may ALL be mini-experts on trading-cards, but PCs are
    different. The learning curve is not that steep, but you still
    need to be cautious with eBay buys.

storm
  • Options
    2dueces-
    Great Cards! I'm curious as to the backs on the cards you showed. Are they postcard backs or advertisements? I really like the Brooklyn card with the players in street clothes! You wouldn't see that today! Keep 'em coming!

storm-
    You bring up a great point. You really need to know your seller and if possible the provenance of postcards when you buy. That is why I suggest people really scan all the information available before making a big purchase. I'm not convinced that the card grading companies can do a good job at authenticating postcards. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The upside is that you can get nice stuff that is close to 100 years old very reasonably. Postcard collectors aren't as uptight about condition either, so that is something to consider as well.
  • Options
    Tom, Both are postcard backs. From now on I will scan the backs also.
    I have a very rare and special oversized political ad back with the 1906 White Sox
    team that I will post tomorrow.

A little info on the Brooklyn card. If you look at the
    names on the team you will find 8 or 9 players with a card in the T206 set.
    Pretty neat for me since I am collecting that set also. Joe
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

//////////////////////////////////////////////
    "I'm not convinced that the card grading companies can do a good job at authenticating postcards."
    They will get better and hire more experienced folks as the market expands.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////
    "The upside is that you can get nice stuff that is close to 100 years old very reasonably."
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Yes. And, I did not mean to imply that "just because it looks old, it is fake." The opposite
    is really true. The fraud, at this point, is mostly in the $300 to $1000 market. The targeted
    cards are usually only found in "good condition," so the fraudsters will hit you with "fines
    or better," and you will think you are getting a bargain.
    "Postcard collectors aren't as uptight about condition either, so that is something to consider as well."
    /////////////////////////////////
    Condition still dictates value, but currently, most folks just buy PCs because they are cool to
    look at; AND, because the "connection to the past" appeals to them. While relatively few
    folks feel that connection to sports-cards, hundreds of millions are connected to PCs due
    to "past travels." That means that the PC market is likley an infant and could get REALLY BIG.

storm
  • Options
    Joe,
    Thanks for the info on the Brooklyn postcard. I'm always curious about the backs as well. Sounds like you have a great collection!

Storm-
    You bring up a good point. If a card company (probably SGC) wants to get seriously into postcard authenticating, they will do it. It is probably too late now, but I think to do it right, the grading company would need to come up with a grading system that appeals to postcard collectors, not sportscard collectors.

I completely agree that the connection to the past is big with postcard collectors. Stamps and writing on the back that doesn't affect the image on the front is a plus to some collectors.
  • Options
    I think the postcard as a collectable is very under valued for most cards.
    Some of them though, have a value that is compareable to trading cards.
    But for the most part you can pick up some pretty nice cards for under $100.
    Used to be that you could got to an Antique shop and look through 100's of
    post cards and pick out Baseball related cards for a quarter. Not too often
    any longer as most shops no that any baseball related item sells for a premium.
    Oh well, that is just keeping pace with everything else in this hobby.
    More vintage postcards tomorrow. Joe
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    "Fairly well accepted British Standards."

Mint (pristine). Perfect in 'as made' condition.
    Almost all old cards will have some wear evident, perhaps a knocked corner or even indentations from being kept in an album which would exclude them from this category. 'Mint' should be used with caution when describing antique postcards and cannot possibly be used for cards that have been posted.
    * Modern cards, new releases could be assumed to be in mint condition unless described otherwise

Excellent ( Ex. / EXC. / EXC+.). Minimal damage.
    The card may show very slight signs of wear such as 'album marks'. Postally used cards could possibly be in this category if perfect in other respects

Very Good ( VG ). Noticeable faults.
    Corners may be slightly blunted, other small marks may be evident. A large majority of collectable cards would fall into this category.

Good (G).
    This description is often used for cards which may be in less than collectable condition. Perhaps having worn/rounded corners, slight creasing, ink marks, postal damage etc. Damage should really be described at this level though actual effect on the value would depend on the type of card. eg. a real photographic street scene would be acceptable to a collector with this degree of damage - a sought after thematic card such as a glamour artist type may not!

Fair and beyond!... Nobody selling a card is going to describe it as being in poor condition, however with cards of certain categories and where extreme rarity is a factor, a full description of the condition may be appropriate.

(STORM NOTE: In general, it is wise to buy the nicest examples you can find.
    If graded PCs take-off, the low grade stuff will have the same "low-status" that
    VG sports-cards have. I prefer postally used cards, because I like to read the
    messages; I never buy anything that I consider as "damaged;" it is tempting
    to do so, but they are hard to dump if you get tired of them. I want excellent
    or better, even in the "rare" stuff.)

BTW: Nobody has any really "good-for-sure" census data. We know that some
    cards are "scarce," but we do not know if most of their ilk were disposed of
    or are in somebody's basement. If the market takes off, a lot of stuff will be
    flushed into the open, and prices on some scarce stuff will fall. The market
    will then go through a stabilization period and in 10-years or so, you could
    see PCs become a major force in the collectibles game.

storm

• Options
    Thanks for the scans and for all of the great advice I'm getting here. I really appreciate it.

I'm lovin' these old pieces of history. I guess, being a novice at this, I'd prefer having a card with a stamp and/or writing on the back. It helps to authenticate the piece, that's for sure!

Keep the scans of the collections coming. These pictures just jump right out and grab your attention!
  • Options
    After rereading the thread, I think it'd be a great idea to scan the fronts and backs of the postcards. That doubles the experience!

Just my two-cents worth...
  • Options
    Here is a little store in Montana that is trying to educate its
    customers about the "joys of collecting PCs."

(If it is deemed boring, I will delete it. I suspect some folks do not
    know much about PCs and probably can use a simple primer.)

//////////////////////////////////////

Del • ti • ol • o • gy n.
    the study of or interest in collecting postcards,
    the practice of amassing such a collection.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF POSTCARDS
    Condition, rarity, view or subject, and to a lesser degree age affect the value of any postcard. It's helpful to be able to date a postcard even if it has not been used, though this does not necessarily mean an earlier card will be worth more than a newer card. For example, postcards published during the 1930's and 1940's are becoming more popular and desirable as many middle aged people can identify with these images. This same increase in popularity can also been seen in postcards of the Modern Chrome Era (post-1950).
    Postcards have been published in several different printing eras from the 1870's until the present. Each publishing period has its own peculiarities which can be used to identify the age of a postcard. Listed below are seven of the more prominent eras of postcard publishing.

THE PIONEER CARD ERA (1893 - 1898)

Postal Cards, as they were often referred to, derived from earlier Trade Cards of the second half of the 19th Century after the Civil War. The Pioneer Era goes back to the 1870s, but it officially began for many collectors when picture postcards were sold at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in May of 1893. Their great success ensured that postcard collecting, then and now, would become a viable hobby.

Pioneer Cards, and government issued Postals, are not too common. They can be identified by distinctive features such as undivided backs and a postage rate of 2 cents. The fact that the postage rate was the same as a letter did not offer any incentive for the use or publication of many Pioneer Cards.

THE GOLDEN AGE OF POSTCARDS (1898 -1915)

THE PRIVATE MAILING CARD ERA (1898 -1901)

On May 19, 1898 (effective July 1, 1898), the U.S. government gave private printers permission to print and sell postcards. "Private Mailing Card" was printed on each card, making them easy to identify. The postage rate was reduced to One-Cent as an experiment by the government to increase revenue and was extremely successful. This was the beginning of the Golden Age of Postcards, circa 1898-1915. Perhaps the most important reason for the popularity of postcards was that they became the least expensive and main form of communication throughout the world until the advent of the telephone and radio beginning with WWI.

THE UNDIVIDED BACK ERA (1901 - 1907)

On December 24, 1901, Congress permitted "Post Card" to be printed on the backs of privately printed cards. However, these cards continued to have undivided backs. The user was required to write the address on the back and the message on the front of the card. For this reason many of these cards have blank areas, or open spaces, on the front for writing the message.

THE DIVIDED BACK ERA (1907 -1915)

On March 1, 1907, Congress followed the lead of several European nations and permitted postcards to be divided down the middle of the back, making it possible for both the address and the message to be written on the back. The entire front side of the card could now be used for the image. This era saw an explosion of postcard publishing and postcards quickly became the most popular collectible in the world. There was competition between publishers to produce the finest and most collectible postcards possible.

THE WHITE BORDER ERA (1915 - 1930)

The Golden Age of Postcards came to an end as World War I began and imports from Germany ceased. Many of the best printers in the world were based in Europe, mostly from Germany. Publishers in the U.S. began printing postcards to try to fill the void from the European printers, but the majority of these American cards were of poor quality. These cards are easily distinguished by the white border around the pictured area and the lower quality printing. Due in part to the poor printing quality, the White Border Era brought an end to the postcard craze.

THE LINEN ERA (1930 -1945)

Improved printing technology in 1930 developed by the Curt Teich Company in Chicago led to improved card quality and more colorful printing. Publishers began using a linen-like paper containing a high rag content and bright, colorful inks. Postcards published during this era are gaining in popularity and value since many middle aged people can identify with these views, most of which have changed in the intervening years.

PHOTOCHROME ERA (1939 - Present)

"Modern Chromes" were first introduced in 1939. Publishers began producing cards with vibrant chrome colors which appealed to collectors. Early Chromes date pre-1964 are often referred to as Pre-Zip Code Chromes. These cards are gaining in value and popularity since many "Baby Boomers" can identify with the images on these cards. Once thought to be modern postcards, these cards are now antiques from the last century. The Early Chromes cards are now at least 40 years old and the views are dated.

REAL PHOTO POSTCARDS (1903 - Present)

Real Photo postcards date as early as 1903 when the 'Snap-Shot" camera by Kodak became popular. Photographs taken by private individuals with early postcard cameras were developed with a postcard back and could be sent through the mail throughout the world. These cards are highly collectible because of the likelihood that these views are unique. Real Photo postcards are important photographic documents that have historical value and as a group have increased in price tremendously in the last couple of decades. Real Photo postcards that have the most value usually date pre-1935.

GRADING OF POSTCARDS
    The condition of a postcard, as with other paper ephemera, is an extremely important factor in its value. However, as cards become harder to find the overall condition is becoming less important. This is especially true with real photo cards or rare published cards. If the image on the front of a real photo card is in good condition then the condition of the back of the card does not necessarily reduce the overall value of the card.

To help determine a card's value, the following grading standard has been established, and is generally accepted by most dealers and collectors.

Mint

A card as perfect as if it had just come off the printing press. No marks, bends, or creases. No writing or postmarks. Such a perfect card is seldom seen.

Near Mint

Like Mint but with very light aging or discoloration from being in an album or other unprotected storage format.

Excellent

Like mint in appearance with no bends or creases. May be postmarked or with writing and postmark on the address side.

Very Good

Corners may be slightly rounded. An almost undetectable crease is acceptable. May have writing or a postmark on the address side. Still quite collectible.

Good

Corners may be noticeably rounded with slight bends or creases. May be postmarked or have writing on address side.

Fair

Excess stains, creases, writing or other marks may affect the picture, but the card is still collectible if it's scarce. Condition, rarity, subject, print quality, demand, and to a lesser degree age also determine value.

Collectibility of postcards change as desirability changes. Currently desirable subjects include national parks, animals, art deco, artist signed, linen advertising, pretty women, and children. Real photo postcards are becoming collectible and are gaining in value. Postcards appeal to almost anyone's collection and are not too expensive to purchase. Paper ephemera, including postcards and trade cards, are gaining in popularity and value as collectibles.

In terms of specific value, several factors determine a card's price. While condition is usually the most important determinant, other factors such as a card's availability, its current location, and subject matter can also affect the value the card.

AVAILABILITY
    There are several views on printed cards, and some real photos, of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone Park. However, a real photo card of the Fountain Hotel in Yellowstone Park would be extremely rare and much more valuable. Postcards have gained in popularity tremendously in the last few decades and may once again be the most popular collectible in the world, the position they enjoyed during the Golden Age of Postcards, 1898-1915.

CURRENT LOCATION
    Views of specific locations are more likely to be sought by collectors who live in those areas and would be more valuable if they could be found there. A real photo scene of Bozeman might be worth $25.00 in Bozeman but only a few dollars in New York City or Los Angeles. Montana and other rural western state postcards in general are considered collectible few cards were published of these states.

SUBJECT MATTER
    Regardless of where they can be found, certain subjects are more sought after by collectors. Thousands of subjects are available to collect on postcards. No category is too narrow or too broad, whether it's political conventions, railroad depots, left-handed twins, or cats riding on trains through orange groves (there actually are cards and collectors of these subjects).

• Options

<< <i>Here is a little store in Montana that is trying to educate its

the practice of amassing such a collection. >>

Thanks, storm! I've copied and printed this out to put in my pc binder...
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a little store in Montana that is trying to educate its

the practice of amassing such a collection.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF POSTCARDS >>

Storm-
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know the specific break points in post card geneology. Thanks for posting!

BTW-
    Any specific reason you tried your post card authenticity experiment with the dealers? I'm curious as to what post cards you used for your experiment.

Tom
  • Options
    "Any specific reason you tried your post card authenticity experiment
    with the dealers? I'm curious as to what post cards you used for your
    experiment."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I chose the dealers because I know them, and they fancy themselves
    as "experts."

Large Letter Hawaii / Chrome / 1960s / Duke Kahanamoku in the "H"
    (Sells for $10.00 to $125.00, depending on when and where it is offered,
    and condition.)

Sandy Koufax / Chrome / "Koufax Motel" / 1960s / Sandy in plain-clothes.
    (Sells for $25.00 to $150.00, depending on when and where it is offered,
    and condition.)

I am still having bad luck trying to make the pictures small on
    photobucket. I am working on it.

(PC Trivia: There are no "linen" large letters of Alaska and Hawaii.
    The series ceased b4 those two states were admitted to the union.
    Last years USPS large-letter series marked the first time that any kind
    of HI and AK large-letters were distributed nationwide.)

storm
  • Options
    Storm-

Noticed you replicated two chrome cards. Do you think it is as easy to duplicate linen or prelinen cards? My guess is the card stock would be much tougher, but not impossible.

Tom
  • Options
    "Do you think it is as easy to duplicate linen or prelinen cards?"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Small town office supply stores almost always have some
    old card stock that has been in the basement for many years.

Failing that: The oldest stock you can find, some watered-down
    instant coffee on a VIVA paper towel. A quick rub, some drying time,
    and the rest is history.

You will usually get it right after a few trial and error runs.

"Foxing" is the yellow/brown acid reaction that you see on the
    old cards. It is nasty stuff and can spread to other cards that
    are stored in its proximity. It is the counterfeiter's friend; if
    your valuable card smells like Maxwell House, it might not be
    too valuable.

Most of the people I sell to will no longer buy any cards that have
    any trace of foxing. You can read about foxing on google, and learn
    all about paper-restoration - and all about making new paper look
    like old paper.

storm
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Storm

Thanx for the exerpt from the store - it was informative.

PCs look like fun to collect. Plus as Mike has shown, you can pick them up in non-sport places and save some coin.

You guys have posted some really nice stuff!
    thanx for taking the time to scan and post them.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    "Plus as Mike has shown, you can pick them up in non-sport places and save some coin."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup. And, that should still be the case for MANY years to come.
    There is a major disconnect between "us," and 98% of the folks
    living in "fly-over country." They do not know about eBay, and
    they do not think their paper stuff has any value. Small antique
    shops - tens-of-thousands of them - dot America. A young person
    could make a life going from town to town, buying stuff, and loading
    it up on eBay at a different roadside motel each night.

(The "disconnect" theory was proven when the US spent a couple
    billion trying to educate seniors over the internet about which
    prescription drug plan was "best for them." Turned out that most
    of those folks had "heard of the internet, but had never given it a try."
    I KNOW those folks have lots of postcards they would like to sell for
    tiny money.) image

storm

• Options
    As promised a few more turn of the Century Baseball Postcards.
    This cards is rare for 2 reasons. The size and it is a political ad.
    Here's the discription: Large 1906 Chicago White Sox Postcard.
    This rare and oversized postcard was issued by Fred Wagner of Chicago.
    On the reverse is a political ad for A.W.Miller County Assessor.

Looks like a stamp collector beat me to it, but luckily he didn't collect postcards.
    Notice how the sender just put City for Chicago. Think we could send one from chicago
    to Chicago today and the Post office would deliver it? I seriously doubt it. Enjoy!!

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Here is an un identified ball club from 1911. Really sharp image for a 95 yr old card. One of my favorites.
    If anybody has any idea's as to the location of the team, please feel free to chime in.

Tomorrow I will post my Holy Grail of postcards. I think you will agree that it is a very special
    card. P.S. Are you getting tired of these? If so, I'll stop posting. I'm having a great time showing
    them. My family could care less and I collect alone in this town, so this is fun for me. Thanks
    for the space to show them. Joe

W.C.Fields