Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Postcard Collectors - Post pictures of your new finds (worth the look)

Comments

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Not many BK postcards, but here's one (& its auto'd too! image)

"Easy Ed" McCauley (Think he was the youngest to be elected to the BK HOF?)

rd

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    rd-

Nice postcard. You are right, I think that is the first basketball issue on the thread. Thanks for sharing! Keep up with the Perez Steele's as well, they look great!
  • Options
    I picked up this real photo postcard of the 1928 Cardinals. It has a Block Brothers Copywright on the photo. The postcard is an unmailed divided back card.

The 1928 Cards were the National League champs. Six Hall of Famers are pictured on this card: Jim Bottomley, Frankie Frisch, Rabbit Maranville, Chick Hafey, Jesse Haines, and Pete Alexander.

Looking at the way the portraits are sized and arranged, it looks to me as if this is not a team photo but a collage of the players. You can see that half of the players appear to be looking at the camera and the other half is looking away. The perspective on some of these images look a little off compared to others. Also, you can see Smith and Hafey at the ends of the front row leaning on bats, which doesn't seem like a pose that would lead to two rows of players behind them.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    rbdjr1..nice auto'd card!!

Tom- Did you just win that postcasrd on ebay?? if so I posted an early bid on it but lost!!
  • Options
    Claude-

Yes, I just won it on ebay. It is not an uncommon card, I've seen a few other copies that have been sold when I looked around. I think I got it at a pretty good price, considering it is unused with a relatively clean back, only some normal foxing.

Tom
  • Options
    Here is the only one in my collection.

i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/vintagecardshop/img306.jpg
  • Options
    sorry about that. Munson is not supposed to be there.
  • Options

Nice Yankee Stadium postcard. There are many cool vintage Yankee Stadium cards out there. It probably has the most linen postcard views as any stadium, with the possible exception of the Polo Grounds.
  • Options
    What do they normally sell for? Expensive or cheap? I want more of them.

Thanks for putting up the picture for me.
  • Options
    You can find many unused linen postcards of Yankee Stadium for under $10. The older pre-linen cards are usually under $20. There are about 10 different postcards that are quite plentiful. If you perform and ebay search on completed items for "Yankee Stadium" and select "Postcards/Paper" you can get a good idea for what is available and the prices. Be patient, they come up for auction all the time.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice postcards Tdk7!

You must have a pretty impressive collection going. Thanks for sharing! image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Here are a few more, Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.

Forbes Field was a Major League Baseball park in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It served as the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates of the National League from mid-1909 to mid-1970. It was also the home field of the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues from 1939 to 1948. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL (who were initially also called the "Pirates") used the stadium from 1933 to 1963 when they moved to nearby Pitt Stadium.

On May 25, 1935, the first home run was hit over the double-deck grandstand in right field, which, coincidentally, was Babe Ruth's final career home run. That was a target that Willie Stargell would breach a number of times early in his career with the Bucs. However, the most famous homer hit in Forbes Field was undoubtedly Bill Mazeroski's walkoff home run to win the 1960 World Series for the Pirates.

The flagpole and a portion of the left and center field walls still exist near Posvar Hall (formerly Forbes Quadrangle) on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh. A bronze plaque indicates the portion over which Mazeroski's 1960 blast traveled. Home plate is preserved under plexiglas in a hallway in Posvar Hall, which occupies much of the site; however, it is a few feet away from its original location, currently occupied by a women's restroom.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Just picked this up real cheap....

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri-
    nice pickup. from the back, it looks like the card dates to 1951 based on the 13 World Series wins. The card is in perfect shape.
    Tom
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info Tom.

I paid $6 shipped for that one. Im sure its not rare or anything but I loved its condition and more importantly the eye appeal. I love that Forbes field card of yours. You have definately sparked my interest in postcards. Real nice items and pieces of history for relatively cheap.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Any guess from the more informed what year is this postcard or advertisment? 1947- 1950??

Talks about Jackie being 28 years ols which would make it 1947 Just curious if this is a good guess?
  • Options
    Your card is a 1948 Old Gold Jackie Robinson card. It is listed on page 292 in the 2004 SCD at $300 NRMT, $150 EX, $90 VG. There are actually 2 different poses of Robinson known, the more common "dugout" pose and a very rare "jumping" pose (uncataloged), both having different bios on back. The jumping card is far rarer. There are a fairly high number of worthless reproductions of the dugout version known (made by Larry Frisch),
  • Options

Hanlan's Point Stadium was one of the few baseball stadiums built in Toronto. It was erected in 1897 at Hanlan's Point on Toronto Islands for the minor league team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and was their home until 1926 (renamed Maple Leaf Park after a new concrete structure replaced the earlier structure in 1910).

The stadium is notable for being the location of Babe Ruth's first professional home run.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool postcards. As usual you guys have come up with some beauties. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it isn't a particularly rare postcard, but it was so fine that I had to submit it...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mike,
    Nice find. That must be 1/1.
    Congratulations!
    Tom
  • Options
    Wow, Mike that is awesome! I agree that has to be a 1/1 nice pick up.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas - I know for a fact it is not a 1 of 1, as a PSA 9 sold on ebay for about $325 8 or 9 months ago.

That is what got me thinking about grading this one.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Found this at an antique show at the Clark County Fairgrounds in WA. I'm getting a nice run of Met Stadium pics going!

imageimage

Back to "24"...
  • Options
    Mike,
    Nice card. I like ones that reference the specific game when the photo was taken.

Here is one from the opening game at the Astrodome. You can see it is pre-astroturf.

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Nice Old Gold!.. Won this poorly scanned card hoping it had Walter Johnson -it doesn't. Great unmarked shape though.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed all the PCs immensely!

Mike - Tom - what do they ask for PCs like that? Do you try to get them down or is the price too fair to negotiate?

Thanx for sharing - I thought I remember a story about the Astrodome - when they first enclosed it and didn't get the AC on - it actually rained due to the humidity. I was never a fan of artificial turf.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    I've found you can get most stadium postcards from the 60's and 70's for under $10, usually under $5 if it is common.
    Tom
  • Options
    I'm sure these are probably some common cards in any sports-related postcard collection, but I thought I'd share a scan or two of my oldest Twins team-issued postcard sets. Comparing the players in the photos to the Twins rosters of the '60s, this set was issued anywhere from 1963 through 1966. I've also got sets from 1978, 1979, 1981 and 1983 thru 1987. I'm hoping to fill in the holes eventually. Anyway, here's a couple of the cards from that earlier set:

Oh, yeah, I was going to mention that these cards are larger than most coming in at 4 3/4 x 6 7/8 inches. The other photos include:
    Zoilo Versalles, Sam Mele (mgr), Jimmy Hall, Earl Battey, Bob Allison, Jim Kaat and Rich Rollins.
  • Options
    This is a great thread! I didn't even know PSA graded post cards. How do I submit them? I've picked up some Jack Dempsey post cards issued in France (I'm guessing in the 20s but maybe the 30s). How do I get PSA to slab 'em?

Keep the scans coming! image

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur,
    You can submit postcards as a tallboy submission. PSA will grade standard size postcards.
    Tom

Mike,
    Those are sharp looking Twins postcards. Its strange that two of the photos have the hats cut off. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike

Those are beautiful cards! I just wish they hadn't cropped off the top of Harmon's head!

That's a set I would consider framing - they're just sharp has all get out!

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Tom,

(Sorry, I'm new to this.) Any idea how I would go about submitting post cards that I don't know the exact year of origin or what kind of set they came from? The two Jack Dempsey post cards were manufactured by a company named DIX and it says "Paris" underneath the logo. The backs have four faint lines for writing and perpendicularly say "MADE IN FRANCE - FABRICATION FRANCAISE".

Is there a book I could buy or a website I could visit to learn more about them? Would PSA be able to determine any/all needed information about them on their own if I send them in? If these are novice question please forgive me. I'm currently below "novice status" right now. image

Thanks

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>Those are sharp looking Twins postcards. Its strange that two of the photos have the hats cut off. image >>

Tom,

I didn't even notice the hats being cropped! Those were the only two which were. I'll post the rest of the 'cards in another post.

Mike,

That's not a bad idea having them framed. Since these players were all on the '65 AL Championship team, I could use that as a theme and get something to do with the World Series, a ticket, a program, a postcard(!) of the event, etc. Thanks for the thought!

Arthur,

Did you happen to see the image of the Dempsey postcard I found a while back? Let me know of you can tell me anything about it, such as when it may have been issued, etc. You're the resident expert now! Here's the scan for your convenience:

Or how about this boxer? Have any background on him?? Thanks again!

• Options
    Here are the rest of the mid-60s Twins p'cards set -- with hats!

• Options
    Mike B.,

First of all, HOLY CRAP! Those Twins PC's look like they're brand new. Beautiful!

Second, trust me, I am no where near the resident expert when it comes to Dempsey around here. And I know astoundingly less about PC's. Is there anything written on the back? Is it definitely a PC or is it a photo card or a picture? Either way, I've never seen one of those before. The real photo PC's usually go for more than the illustrated ones from what I can tell but, like I said, I literally know nothing about PC's.

As far as the Sykes goes ...

I checked the list of IBHOF inductees but didn't see his name. I did, however, find this bit about him on wikipedia:

"Arthur S. Sykes, (July 3, 1913 - January 24, 1996), known as Artie, was an American boxer from Elmira, New York. Sykes made his professional debut in 1933. In 1934, he was defeated by a young Joe Louis. Later in his career, he lost to Hall of Famer Jersey Joe Walcott. Sykes retired in 1941. He won 14 career fights, lost 23, and had one draw."

Sort of explains why I didn't see his name on HOF list, eh? image

I can really feel myself getting into these old post cards. Great. Just what I needed, more expansion in my collecting. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur,

Maybe you can find a lead on this site: boxing card book

Otherwise, you could call PSA customer service or just fill in as much info you know on the submission form. I've found that SGC is much more open to grading obscure issues, if you are open to another company.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom,

I've been meaning to purchase Adam's book for some time now so I guess I have even more incentive now. Thanks for the info.

Arthur
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Bump
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Wow! I just discovered this thread today, since i'm not really a "regular" at posting on these boards. Fantastic cards! It's a wonder they're not more popular. Maybe it's a "size thing", as they take up more space. But certainly the IMAGES are far superior (especially on the older stuff) and open up a whole new dimension of collecting. I've seen enough that i'm going to go ahead and buy a couple of post cards that i was contemplating, but holding back until i could discern exactly what year they were from. Better to go ahead and GET them while they're available, and THEN worry about what year they are!

I may start another thread with a question about post cards, and whether they should be "mingled" in "Master Sets" of players, or whether they should have their own Set.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

These are part of a 32 card set. Not sure of the year?

Thanks Mike
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options

<< <i> These are part of a 32 card set. Not sure of the year? >>

Great images, Mike! Where did you ever pick these up?!

• Options
    WoW. I'm not sure if anyone else happened to notice this recently completed auction for a Holiday Inn Mantle postcard. Here's an image of the card:

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    These aren't anything fancy but I thought they were nice. Mid 60s, mentioned packers 10th title. Couple bucks each on ebay last year, re-discovered them today.

• Options
    I guess that top one is Hornung. That is one of the best football photos I've seen.

Nice card.

• Options

<< <i>I guess that top one is Hornung. That is one of the best football photos I've seen.

Nice card.

image >>

I second that motion!! Awesome shot! I just wish it wasn't against the Vikes...

Thanks for sharing, jimq!!
  • Options
    For Arthur...

I bought this Jack Dempsey Restaurant postcard while browsing through antique stores over the last few days. I'm not sure how old/new it is:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>For Arthur...

I bought this Jack Dempsey Restaurant postcard while browsing through antique stores over the last few days. I'm not sure how old/new it is: >>

I just Googled the restaurant and found an interesting link. It appears the restaurant in NYC existed from 1935 to 1974...
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I made 500 or 1000 (would have to check) of this postcard a few years ago from a quick drawing I made of Mike Ditka, which he signed for me. I have made about 15 postcards, mostly meteorite related, but I also made one of Jim Morrison. My cards featured in the main postcard magazine a few years ago.

They are usually $2.00 each plus $2.00 shipping, or at least on eBay, but if any of you would like one I would go give free shipping.....or even trade for any Steve Young card I did not have.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.