Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Postcard Collectors - Post pictures of your new finds (worth the look)

Comments

• tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Here are a few of mine...
    >>

Thanks for posting. Nice cards. Did you notice how that Milwaukee Stadium looks a lot like the Polo Grounds? Never knew there was another stadium like that.

bri,
    Cool Munson Stadium postcard. Looks like a nice place to see a game.

deuces,
    You keep pulling great stuff from your collection. I'm jealous!
    Stone-
    Thanks for the compliments. I think this is a great thread...there is much more to collecting than cards!

Here are a couple more.....

Dubbed the "Cavalcade of Baseball," June 12 was the crowning day of a four-month celebration of the 100th anniversary of baseball in Cooperstown in 1939.

Fifteen thousand visitors flooded Main Street, as the Museum officially opened its doors to the world after the conclusion of the Induction Ceremony, which commenced at 12:15 p.m. and was covered by three nationwide radio networks. After Ruth's speech, Baseball Commissioner Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis said, "I now declare the National Baseball Museum and the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York - home of baseball - open!"

After the ceremony, two teams of all-stars managed by Honus Wagner and Eddie Collins - with players representing each of Major League Baseball's 16 teams - played a game at Doubleday Field in the first-ever Hall of Fame Game, now played annually between two major league teams. The Wagners won the seven inning contest, 4-2. Dizzy Dean started for Collins and Lefty Grove for Wagner, with 12 current and future Hall of Famers participating in the game.

The newly-refurbished Doubleday Field played home to ballgames and suddenly Cooperstown - a village of fewer than 3,000 residents - became the home of a national shrine.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dubbed the "Cavalcade of Baseball," June 12 was the crowning day of a four-month celebration of the 100th anniversary of baseball in Cooperstown in 1939. >>

tkd

I'm kinda confused here - it references the 100th anniversary of baseball in 1939 - the centennial anniversary was in 1969 I believe.

mike
    Mike
    Mike,
    Depends on what you are calling a centennial.

The 1939 centennial was based on the thought that Abner Doubleday "invented" baseball in Cooperstown in 1839.

The 1969 centennial was based on MLB's claim that it was the 100th anniversary of "professional" baseball.

The legend of Doubleday’s invention of baseball was itself baseball's invention, in a sense that of Al Spalding, a former star pitcher, then club executive, who had become the leading American sporting goods entrepreneur and sports publisher. Debate on baseball origins had raged for decades, heating up in the first years of the 20th century. To end argument, speculation and innuendo, Spalding organized a panel in 1905. The panelists were his friend Abraham G. Mills, a former National League president; two United States Senators, ex-NL president Morgan Bulkeley and ex-Washington club president Arthur Gorman; ex-NL presidents and lifelong secretary-treasurer Nick Young; two other star players turned sporting goods entrepreneurs (George Wright and Alfred Reach); and AAU president James E. Sullivan.

The final report published in 1908 included three sections: a summary of the panel’s findings written by Mills, a letter by John M. Ward supporting the panel, and a dissenting opinion by Henry Chadwick. The research methods were, at best, dubious. The Mills Commission probably looked for and found the perfect story: baseball was invented in a quaint rural town without foreigners or industry, by a young man who later graduated from West Point and served heroically in the Mexican-American War, Civil War, and U.S. wars against Indians.

The Mills Commission concluded that baseball had been invented by Doubleday in Cooperstown, New York in 1839; that Doubleday had invented the word baseball, designed the diamond, indicated fielder positions, written down the rules and the field regulations. However, no written records from 1839 or the 1840s have ever been found to corroborate these claims; nor could Doubleday be interviewed for he died in 1893. The principal source for the story was a letter from elderly Abner Graves, a five-year-old resident of Cooperstown in 1839. But Graves never mentioned a diamond, positions or the writing of rules. Graves' reliability as a witness has also been questioned because he was later convicted of murdering his wife and spent his final days in an asylum for the criminally insane. Further, Doubleday was not in Cooperstown in 1839. He was enrolled in West Point and there is no record of any leave time. Mills, a lifelong friend of Doubleday, had never heard him mention inventing baseball.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but that is how Cooperstown ended up with the HOF.

Tom
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx

I do remember the controversy over who invented baseball - but not the first celebration in 39.

Good stuff
    mike
    Mike
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Wow, great postcards everyone! I really like the Polo Grounds one, thats the first time I've really seen just how big it was. I wish I could have seen a game there.

This is my newest addition. Not sure of the year, I am thinking early 60's or so.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
    Ted,
    Nice Teddy Ballgame card. Wonder why it was sold at Yankee Stadium Souvenir Shops? Think they would sell Mickey Mantle cards at Fenway?

<< <i>Ted, Nice Teddy Ballgame card. Wonder why it was sold at Yankee Stadium Soveneir Shops? Think they would sell Mickey Mantle cards at Fenway? >>

Thanks! image

Thats a good question. I know on my recent trip to the Red Sox store they had Derek Jeter singed items as well as Cal Ripken. I guess star items sell no matter where they are being sold.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    But would the Fenway Fan shop sell this postcard?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I never would have thought that there was so many people interested in postcards. Y'all have some great pieces.
    Here's another Semi Pro, College, factory team? Any clues to the idenity let me know. The writting on front says YBT. Enjoy.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

<< <i>Wow, I never would have thought that there was so many people interested in postcards. Y'all have some great pieces.
    Here's another Semi Pro, College, factory team? Any clues to the idenity let me know. The writting on front says YBT. Enjoy.

image >>

Good question. Back in the day, you could get a photo printed with a postcard back, so I think there many one or a few off real photo postcards out there that have long since lost their meaning. My dad always said that an old picture doesn't mean much if there isn't writing on the back.

Griffins-
    Not sure if Fenway would sell that photo, but now that Buckner signs it, who knows?
    It says a lot about Buckner that he'll sign it, a very very good player that will be remembered for the wrong thing.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Griff, Alot of players that had great careers are know for a blunder or a single moment. Pitchers who gave up historic homeruns, etc. I remember Bianca (sp?) who gave up the homer to Bobby Thompson said no one would want to talk to me if I didn't give up that homer. I'm tied to it forever. It's nice to be remembered, even if it's not always in the greatest light.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

<< <i>It says a lot about Buckner that he'll sign it >>

Yes, it does say alot. He was a great player, too bad he was made the goat. Most people don't remember Bob Stanleys wild pitch. image

Ralph Branca is another who is remembered for the wrong reasons. Great pitcher, classy guy and a gentleman.

Personally, I think all them old players deserve respect and admiration. They played the game with love and respect that is lacking in todays game.

I apologize, I got a bit off topic here....image
    Double post image
    Some things never change. Below is the obituary that ran in the NY Times for Fred Merkle, 48 years after his boner "cost" the Giants the pennant. Fred Merkle returned the game he so loved after twenty-three long years away. The 1950 event took place in the Polo Grounds and he and long-time friend Larry Doyle participated in an Oldtimers Celebration.

Fred Merkle Obituary

Appeared in The New York Times on March 3, 1956

Fred Merkle Obituary
    Giants 1st Baseman’s ‘Boner’ in Failing to Touch 2nd Led to Loss of ’08 Pennant

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., March 2 (AP) – Fred Merkle, former major league baseball player who was best remembered for a “boner” that cost the New York Giants the pennant in 1908, died today. He was 67 years old.

The boner involved his failure to touch second base, resulting in a tied game and a replay, which the Giants lost.

Merkle, a first baseman and part-time outfielder, was in the major leagues from 1907 to 1926, playing with the Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, Chicago Cubs and New York Yankees.

Merkle Obituary
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Obviously this has become a popular thread! If anyone here would like to share some knowledge & some pix for an article or perhaps even a regular column on my web site, please let me know. SportsCollectorsDaily
    Realized I had missed a couple of pages on this thread, so I went back and read the whole thing again. Some great stuff! I stared at the one of Gilmore Field for a while, I live and work about 2 miles from there, and so much has changed.
    I don't have much to contribute, but here are a couple more modern ones. This first is the exact pose of the '60 Morrell Meats card, only bigger. We call them Balco Morrell's. On the right is the Morrell for reference- not to scale, the postcard is standard postcard size, the Morrell standard (post '56) baseball card size.
    imageimage

And another pose from a couple of years later

The postcards are a fraction of the price of the Morrell's, and obviously larger. There were sets made from '59 thru at least the mid '60's.
    Joe, Tom, and everyone else, keep 'em coming! One of my all time favorite CU threads.

<< <i>The postcards are a fraction of the price of the Morrell's, and obviously larger. There were sets made from '59 thru at least the mid '60's.
    Joe, Tom, and everyone else, keep 'em coming! One of my all time favorite CU threads. >>

I think you hit the nail on the head. These postcards are a fraction of the cost and the images are superb. You can pick up a nice Dormand Mantle for a fraction of the cost of a '50s Topps or Bowman Mantle.

I love seing pictures of the Dodgers in the Colisium. If I can ever find a postcard of the Colisium in its baseball configuration, that will be a keeper.
    Great Koufax's Griffins! I just finished reading a book about him. What an incredible pitcher. And little did I know he lived near me when I was a kid. image

I've posted this in the Mail Call thread, but I thought I would post it here also. No idea as to year or maker, but hey, it's Shoeless Joe!

Ripken, Thanks for the offer. I've said it already but I would have never guessed the interest from the members of the card board. I'm glad I have a head start on my collection. With all this added interest I may be bidding against people I'm getting started. No worries, I'm broke anyways. LOL
    W.C.Fields

<< <i>

I've posted this in the Mail Call thread, but I thought I would post it here also. No idea as to year or maker, but hey, it's Shoeless Joe!

>>

Any post Black Sox Jackson piece is a real find. BTW, great job on the restoration, if I remember the before picture correctly.
    That's a nice Jackson piece. I must have missed that auction.
    What category was it listed in and if you don't mind saying,
    how much did it set you back?
    W.C.Fields
    I posted this on the "mail call" thread, but thought I would post it here with an interesting auction link below

The written message on the reverse side reads: "Saw a peach of a game today. New York won from Boston (Am. League) 1 to 0. Saw Collins but he didn't play." The year of the postmark on the card cannot be made out but the date & time are August 14 @ 1 AM. The Yankees defeated the Red Sox, 1-0, on August 13, 1914. Ray Collins was the ace of the Red Sox staff that year, winning 20 games, although he did not pitch in the August 13 game. The card was mailed to Keene, New Hampshire; Collins was a native of Vermont.

So if the game reference is correct (and it appears correct), that dates the card to 1914 at the latest. Ruth was 19 in 1914 and appeared in 5 games for the Sox that season, so I doubt that is Ruth in the postcard.

Below is a link to the recent Goodwin Auction where the card went for $1,100 with the claim of Ruth being depicted. Buyer Beware!
    Goodwin Auction
    I hate reading threads like this, because inevitably I end up starting a new set.
    The vintage stadium postcards are too cool!
    A few years ago I had to do an ad campaign for American Express where we needed postcards from all over the world. I ended up finding a place about 30 miles from me that was a house and garage that was converted into a postcard store, and was stacked the the rafters. Looks like I"m headed back there, if it's still open.

Good luck on your search. Depending on how deep you look, you can find great stuff. The postcard of Gilmore Field only mentions it on the back. There are others I've seen that are like that as well.

Look forward to your posts!
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few I had posted at teh beginning of the thread but they had been removed....some are pretty cool! -Claude

Awesome Young and Huggins. Nice job getting them graded.

Looks like the Huggins photo was taken at the Palace of the Fans in Cincinnati. That is one stadium postcard I need to find.
    Yeah, I like the Huggins too...he's a hall-of-famer. There are two poses for that card.

here are a few more scans-

Wow, I remember the Baseball Greats postcard from when I was a kid- instant flashback! Thanks for posting it.

Claude-
    Great posts! I love that Baseball Greats postcard. I'm going out on a limb and saying those photos are from the 1964 All Star game at Shea Stadium. You can see Shea Stadium's left field bleachers over Mays' right shoulder and Mays, Koufax and Drysdale are all in home uniforms. Chance and Drysdale were the starters in that game. Great card!

That Dempsey is a cool vintage card. Here is one of my favorite Dempsey cards. Dempsey knocks out Willard.

Pretty common card, you can find it all over ebay.
    Tom-- WOW, guess you know your stadiums!! The price guide lists it as a 1964.
    Funny thing is that Mays looks like he is flipping through a gym bag.

<< <i>Any post Black Sox Jackson piece is a real find. BTW, great job on the restoration, if I remember the before picture correctly. >>

Thank you for the kind words. image I did have to restore it a bit. It was covered in either YEARS of tobacco sludge or some sort of stain. Either way, I was able to clean it up pretty well.

<< <i>That's a nice Jackson piece. I must have missed that auction.
    What category was it listed in and if you don't mind saying,
    how much did it set you back? >>

Thank you. image It was listed under Baseball>Singles (1930-1939)>Non Graded>1932-1933

It cost me $15.09 plus $3 shipping. I actually had bid on it a few weeks before, but lost. Then one day I get a second chance offer in my email. Needless to say I wasted no time on pulling the trigger.

Cuda, those are some SWEET postcards. I love the Cy Young, that is just a killer postcard!

Tkd, that Dempsey is a great pc! That would be a great print to hang on a wall. Nice color and action.
    Here is something a little different. Two postcards from Joe DiMaggio's Restaurant located at Fisherman's Wharf. The postcards are unused divided back, my guess is from the '50s.

There is a new Joe DiMaggio's restaurant in North Beach. It looks pretty swanky from their website. If anyone has been to the new one and can send me a postcard or matchbook, I'd appreciate it. Tom

Joe DiMaggio's Restaurant - North Beach
    Being a Yankee fan, I think these Dormand Postcards are great, but high grades are tough. Nice way to get inexpensive HOF'ers from the 50's, although the Mantle is still expensive in high grade. The Gil Hodges was the toughest card in the set, but there was a large pristine hoard sold in a recent Edwards auction.

Here are a couple of linen postcards of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium. They are likely from the late 40s - early 50s.

I like the way they show the light on the stadiums at night.

Here are some modern chrome postcards of Shea Stadium. My dad took me to see my first ball game there in April, 1975. I was 9 years old and I remember my amazement at the sight of the bright green field when I walked through the runway to the seats for the first time.

The first card is from the Mets first season in 1964. The Unisphere in the upper right corner was the signature of the 1964 World's Fair in NYC and still stands outside the stadium.

The other two date from the 70's. They show the trend of ballparks in the 60s that weren't confined by the city streets and were surrounded by parking lots. The Mets have made some modifications to the exterior of the stadium and added some bleachers in the outfield, but it is essentially the same as when it opened.

Originally a multipurpose stadium, Shea is able to be converted into a football stadium and back using two motor-operated stands that move on underground tracks. This has not been done since the New York Jets moved to Giants Stadium in 1984.

The original plan was for the stadium to be expanded by extending the grandstand to complete the circle. A dome would then be build over the whole thing. During the 1960s, there was a move to accomplish this, but the idea was dropped after structural studies concluded that the stands would be unable to support the weight of the dome after all.

The stadium is generally regarded as one of the loudest in the Major Leagues, not necessarily because of the crowd noise, but also because of its proximity to LaGuardia Airport.
    Alright, here are a few posts of recent submissions to PSA. I know I posted some of them raw but in the PSA holders they look
    even nicer. Several are the only ones graded INCLUDING the '57 Robinson...that's his ROOKIE year!!!
    Thanks for looking--Claude
    Claude-
    Those cards look even better slabbed. You must be proud of the grades. It isn't easy to get high grades on postcards. Tommie Aaron looks a bit overwhelmed in that photo. Thanks for posting! It looks like PSA turned these around quickly.

I'll throw up one more tonight. It is a divided back pre-linen postcard that was mailed in 1908.

I've located very little information about this park in Newark, NJ. Apparently, on July 17th, 1904 in Wiedenmayer Park, the New York Highlanders (Yankees) faced the Detroit Tigers in a Major League regular season game and Clark Griffith pitched a 3 hit ball game (Yankees 3 - Tigers 1). It is the only home game the Yankees have played in New Jersey. There is little information as to why the Yankees played this game in Newark. The theory is that it was the Yankees only Sunday home game that season and a local ordinance prevented the Yankees playing in New York so they played in New Jersey, but no information from the time has surfaced. The park is named after a prominant family in Newark that owned a large beer brewery.
    Tom- That pc is really cool...neat history behind the Yankees game too!!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Since I saw a few boxing post cards
    I thought I'd add this one from 1921
    towards the end of Johnson's career.
    Its an exhibit card that has a post card
    back...jay

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    wow. great stuff!

i'm still searching for more...

Here's one more...postcard back. These dont come up too often. -Claude

Claude-
    I've never seen that "Wrigley HOF" style Exhibit before. Nice pickup.

Jay-
    That is a cool Johnson. There aren't too many boxing cards around, you have a nice one.
    I totally agree...that Johnson is really cool!! image!

tkd: Yeah I like the Wrigley Field exhibit...you dont really see them, even on Ebay...but the yearly price guide doesn't do
    them justice as far as pricing. image
    Some more modern stuff for the moment.

Here is a George Tinker postcard that is likely from the '70s. I think that Tinker took some photos from his archives and issued postcards. He issued cards of many stadiums and views that aren't available from any other postcard manufacturer. This is a photo of the Dodgers at the L.A. Coliseum. The photo makes it look like a horrible place to play baseball.

The Dodgers played here until Dodger Stadium was completed in time for the 1962 season. Although ill-suited as a Major League Baseball field, with its left field line at 251 feet and power alley at 320 feet, it was ideally suited for large crowds. Each of the three games of the 1959 World Series played there drew over 92,706 fans, a record unlikely to be challenged anytime soon. A May 1959 exhibition game between the Dodgers and the New York Yankees in honor of legendary catcher Roy Campanella drew 93,103, the largest crowd ever to see a baseball game in the Western Hemisphere. The Coliseum also hosted the second 1959 MLB All-Star Game.
    Cool postcard!
    The Coliseum is a generally horrible place to see anything. Built for the '32 Olympics, it is badly out of date and in a horrible part of town. I saw the Stones there about 15 years ago and hope to never have to go back.
    It must have been torture to play ball there.

Here are a couple postcards of Briggs Stadium in Detroit. All are divided back unused linen postcards. I always thought it was funny that the stadium is half empty in the top postcard.

In 1911, new Tigers owner Frank Navin ordered a new steel-and-concrete baseball park on the same site that would seat 23,000 to accommodate the growing numbers of fans and on April 20, 1912, Navin Field was opened, the same day as the Boston Red Sox's Fenway Park.

Over the years, expansion continued to accommodate more people. In 1935, following the death of Frank Navin, new owner Walter Briggs oversaw the expansion of Navin Field to a capacity of 36,000 by extending the upper deck to the foul poles and across right field. By 1938, the city had agreed to move Cherry Street, allowing left field to be double-decked, and the now-renamed Briggs Stadium had a capacity of 53,000.

In 1961, new owner John Fetzer took control of the stadium and gave it its permanent name: Tiger Stadium.

On June 15, 2006, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick announced that Tiger Stadium will be demolished, with a city-funded demolition set to begin in the fall of 2006. Reportedly, parts of the historic playing field will be preserved in the new development to appear at the site. The development will include a ring of shops and condominiums around the baseball diamond, which will be converted into a public park.