Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Postcard Collectors - Post pictures of your new finds (worth the look)

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    turn....

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I'm not really a postcard guy, but I think you guys might find this interesting.
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I finally scored a McCarthy's Twins postcard! The name is misspelled (should be "Johnny"), but otherwise I'm happy to have this example for my postcard and Senators/Twins collections.

imageimage
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Recent pickup..1971 Ticketron Dodgers Steve Garvey...guess you'd call it his rookie!

-Claude

• << <i>Recent pickup..1971 Ticketron Dodgers Steve Garvey...guess you'd call it his rookie! >>

Claude,

I'm not familiar with Ticketron. Did they just do the Dodgers on postcards??

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'll have to start an eBay search on those now, too. Thanks! image
  • Recent pickup, any idea when and who produced it?
    imageimage
    Mike- Ticketron also did a 1972 Phillies set.

-Claude
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike- Ticketron also did a 1972 Phillies set.

-Claude >>

Claude

Great pic - I went to school with Steve - because of guys like that - I couldn't make varsity starter - I rode the bench and BB and FB!!! He was a good guy and did not see himself as special.

Thanx for sharing - if it's '71 - sure why not - RC! image
    mike
    Mike
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    The Clemente has to be 1971 or later with the new uniforms, I'm almost positive those were new for 1971. Nice find image

• << <i>Recent pickup, any idea when and who produced it?
    image >>

Wow! Nice pickup! I can't help you with who produced it. Sorry.

I don't think Clemente took a single bad photo. He was one heckuva guy and ballplayer...

Thanks for sharing this!

• << <i>Mike- Ticketron also did a 1972 Phillies set.

-Claude >>

Ah. Thanks, Claude. I collect Senators/Twins items and was hoping I could add some new items to my wantlist.

Just picked this one up at a flea market. It is posted February 1957 so I imagine it's the 1956 Spring Training for the Brookly Dodgers! You can easily see the batter is #4 which would be Duke Snider and he is batting lefty so I'm pretty sure that's who it is!

-Claude
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    This is a world-class thread.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    Hey guys. I'm not much of a postcard collector, though I do really enjoy seeing your new acquisitions. I do, however, have three postcards that I'd love to identify. I'm hoping you can help.

These are Texas Rangers postcards, all with blank backs. The first two are obviously sponsored by Dr. Pepper, and are likely from 1996, 1997 or 1998. I'm just not sure which. The third is mostly unmarked, so it's even harder to place.

Any ideas?

imageimage

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
    Mark, those are *fantastic* postcards. I love the vintage autos, which look so much better than would a blue sharpie signed in Atlantic City or Las Vegas in 1991 or so.
  • I used to send letters to my favorite players in the early 60s and I received replies from many of them, inlcuding Stan Musial and Ted Williams. Mantle always sent back an autograph but it was always a reproduction. He must have had thousands of requests. I have some other interesting post cards from some of the early NY Mets players. I'll post them later.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I've been away for a while. Since I started the thread, I'll add a couple

1971 Yankee Clinic Set
    imageimage
    imageimage
    A couple of bums

imageimage
    Columbia Park - Philadelphia

Where the Athletics played before Shibe Park
  • Anyone see this Bench postcard before? The back is blank and no date anywhere.

Johnny Bench Master Set #2
    Collecting Alan Trammell PSA 10's
    It looks like a team issued or player sponsored photo to respond to autograph requests rather than a postcard.
  • Thanks for the reply. The dealer I got it from said it was a 1976 team issued. None have been graded though, so don't know if they even had any that year.
    Johnny Bench Master Set #2
    Collecting Alan Trammell PSA 10's
  • Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    A gift from another collector.

ca. 1910, Chi Sox on the way to ST in California.

• Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe Signed postcard from 1935 negro league spring training.

Lou

Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Almost ashamed to put this on the thread with all the beautiful postcards, at least it brings it back up to the top!

Breathing new life into this thread. Lets see some others.

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are three of my favorite team issue postcards. The 1967 Bench pre-dates his Topps rookie card.

Phil

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow Phil that Seaver postcard is ridiculous.....great thread guys, thanks for reviving it......my newest love affair (don't tell my wife).......'68 Dexter Press, pretty mainstream by comparison to some of the amazing stuff here, but i just love the colors, clarity and gloss on these things......Clemente was graded recently and the Aaron just came in the mail today and hopefully will find its way into a PSA 7 holder in the next few weeks.

Ho-lee Cow! Nice 'cards!

Those Dexter Press cards have some fantastic color and resolution to them. Wonder if I have any Twins versions... I've got to dig deep and check now!
    I've always liked the Dexter Press cards. I bid but lost out on a Hank Aaron a few months ago. That Clemente really looks sharp.

At one time I owned the highest graded 1973 Mike Schmidt Phillies team issued postcard PSA 8. However, Marc Shoenen (#1 Schmidt master set owner) finally wore my down and I traded it to him (along with a 1976 Hostess Panel w/Schmidt PSA 9 for a 1973 OPC Schmidt rookie PSA 9. I was happy with the deal.

Keep the photos coming!
    Here is a link to my PSA Showcase 1975 Cincinnati Reds Team Issue postcards. I have a near complete set (I think) but haven't had them all graded yet.

1975 Cincinnati Reds Team Issue Postcards
  • These 1907 Grignon Chicago Cubs postcards have a certain goofy charm...
    Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ttt'ing up this thread to share my newest slabbed item from my continued fascination with postcards....here's one i found in my Dodger box, so welcome to the first and only Fernando Valenzuela Rookie postcard, graded PSA 7...... this one holds a special place, as i recall the local interest in L.A.'s baseball hero and participant in the World Series victory over the Yanks in a baseball anomaly known as the Split Season of '81.....my most poignant Fernando memory came a season earlier, though, when i attended the 1-game playoff vs. Houston, a game they coughed up (thanks Dave Goltz) early, but gave us a brief glimpse of the future when they brought in this young kid to mop up......2 pretty good innings, who knew? image

btw, the Dexter Press Aaron i posted here a few weeks ago came back a 6.

<< <i>image

image >>

Nice to see someone post a PC!

The bottom PC that Bill wrote - refers to "the last game" - I assume of the season? It's hard to read - but I think I see 1910? The other clearly has 1911 on it.

The Cubs played at West Side Park - which is the 2nd of such name till 1915 when they left it and moved to what is now Wrigley Field.

If that's not 1910 - then perhaps "Bill" is referring to the last game played at West Side Park before moving to Weeghman Park which later became Wrigley.

Thanx for sharing - sometimes the content of the PC is as much fun as getting the cool pics!
    mike
    Mike
  • thanks for responding mike, and thanks for the info on the ballpark. I was trying to research this park myself on wikipedia/internet , so thank you very much for some of the insight. You are correct on the dates on the postcards - the one does state 1910.

I picked up a few more this weekend. One of Forbes field (circa 1910) and one of 'Palace of the Fans' (I know its postmarked about 8 months after Cincinnati stopped playing there or 8 months after the stadium was torn down/demolished) . When I get these two in next week I will also post them.

rich
    You're welcome Rich

I hope the OP - tkd7 comes on - Tom knows alot about these PC's and is very passionate about them - I don't collect them but enjoy viewing them and reading on the parks. I do pick one up from time to time if they complement something I'm collecting.

There's a lot of history in these old parks and it's a shame when they get torn down.

mike
    Mike
    Thanks for sharing the pics! When my wife and I go to antique stores and shows, if a postcard dealer has the PCs sorted I'll check for Twins' stuff. I've got a nice collection of Metropolitan Stadium and Metrodome shots. I've got quite a few of the team-issued sets, too.

Like Mike said, Tom (tkd7) can really add some interesting background to a lot of these oldies. Hope he's still around...
    Thanks for the shout out.

Great postcards! I really find it fascinating to find a group from the same sender - kind of cool to think they have been together for 100 years.

I think the "last game" reference is to the 1910 World Series. Clinching game 5 was won by the Athletics at West Side Grounds on October 23, 1910 - just a few days before the postmark. I didn't realize myself until looking that the Series was played so late in the month of October.

I really enjoy postcards that show the early ballparks

Washington Park in Brooklyn - Home of the Dodgers before Ebbets Field

Another view of West Side Grounds

Weeghman Park - which became Wrigley Field

Palace of the Fans in Cincinnati - looks like an opera house

Hilltop Park in Manhattan where the Yankees played

Exposition Park in Pittsburgh - you can see it in the lower right corner
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    great looking post cards
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Thanx for the PCs Tom.

I was tired last nite and didn't even bother to look up the date - and realize it was October!

A reference to the WS - a bonus! "last game"

mike
    Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great looking PC's...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Spectacular scenes and stories behind these 'cards. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Now that I think about it, I think I may have a new player postcard or two that I got for my Senators/Twins type collection. I'll have to get the scanner fired up and get them posted...
    I thought I'd better some things done before the Vikes' game kicks off. Should be an exciting game!

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of a new bookshelf recently acquired at a local antique store -- Le Stuffe! On the top of the bookshelf note a postcard holder I recently picked up, too. I thought that'd be useful displaying some of my Senators/Twins ungraded "Stuffe"...

Postcard holder with flash -- sorry about the glare:

Without flash -- sorry about the blur:

• Posted these back in 2007 before I had to change my name on the board. Sorry don't know how to just show the pictures so I linked it.

Ron

null
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

a non-sport favorite of mine.