Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The debate on what to do with SF and BS coins continues.

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Tim I know little about Kennedy varietys, but I know SF coins ARE a variety of the kennedy set.
    And the way you have yours set up looks right on to me. Now it's a shame you don't see a set rating or set ranking after your hard work.
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan,

I had to start my own version of the Kennedy varities just so I could get both of my MS and BS coin into it.image

Tim >>

This just might be the way to do things. I too have asked about a 1946-Date Dime set. I'm sure its coming as are alot of sets, but holy cow, can we get some sort of answer to the above question!?

2007 Mint sets are due anytime fellas!

Later, Paul

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I know one thing, the 07-P business strike coins in MS66FB and up are proving tough to find.
    I have 100 rolls, and after searching eight rolls from each box, me thinks I may have 22 pounds of scrap metal. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If this roll would have been submitted sealed to PCGS, it might be possible a SF coin would have graded non-SF and, perhaps, a top pop at that. Of course, in most cases the differences are easily determined, but, not all cases. >>

Mitch the 65-67 rolls were found to sometimes contain SMS coins. And PCGS has been able to handle the situation. If a coin looked a little to good to be business strike, they simply sent it home as a SMS coin. This made it tough to get a high grade coin holdered as business strike, but most of us understood why it was being done. I see no reason this problem isn't treated in the same way.
    Speaking for myself only, I can't, for the life of me, understand how putting SF coins into UNCIRCULATED sets is going to protect anyone from from mislabled coins.

image >>

I recently found myself receiving a business strike 06 half returned in a SMS holder (MS68 Kennedy). Before sending it back as a mechanical error I checked it against the many SMS halves I have from the mint. As it turns out the die used on my BS half was different than the die used on the SMS half. It was easily seen when comparing the date of the SMS to the business strike. Not rocket science just good grading.

Does anyone know if this is true for all the ultra modern SMS coins?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this is true for all the ultra modern SMS coins?

I think a lot of people know the answer. Including the host of this party.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ronday: I suspect the mint uses many dies to strike both the BS and SF coins. I am not sure comparing one specific die to the other conclusively determines much of anything.

Take the latest "hot" coin from the Mint - the 2007 Proof Buffalo $50 Gold. One die the Mint employed results in a noticeable planchet mark on the lower feather of the Indian, while it appears another die I have seen does not have this problem and can produce "PCGS perfect" coins.

But, on a sidenote, I sure hope PCGS opens up the appropriate variety sets soon so coins like the Wisc. error quarters, Cheerios Sacs and even business strike coins from all series have a place to be entered.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But, on a sidenote, I sure hope PCGS opens up the appropriate variety sets soon so coins like the Wisc. error quarters, Cheerios Sacs and even business strike coins from all series have a place to be entered. >>

And the Minnesota DDR's

• Options
    Guys I lost track but were the Pop reports ever fixed?
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Guys I lost track but were the Pop reports ever fixed? >>

Not for the Kennedy Half Dollars! If anything, this year the 2005 populations errors have just been compounded.image
  • Options
    Tim I just got a 2005-D in MS66 it is business strike and even my old eyes can tell the diference. And my camera sure can too can't get a decent image of it yet.
    Finally got my Basic set all Business strikes and I only moved down two places.

I guess it is still time to fly this.image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Y A W N..............................to the billionth power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Y A W N..............................to the billionth power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I have noticed that the members that have this attitude only have “Satin Finish” coins in their set(s). Yet they can’t or won’t explain why it would not be fair to have both types of struck (Business Strike and Satin Finish) included in their respected sets.

I’m sorry, but this either or policy that PCGS came up with stinks!image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone can buy/find MS69-70 Satin Finish coins. The real collectors collect Business Strikes. In 100 years the BS coins will be worth 5-10x the finest Satin finish coins found. Just my slanted opinion of course. It's like shooting fish in a barrel!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I want to take a moment here to thank datentype. I was the recipient of a pair of his OR circ quarters. It took some time to get them, and I was a little impatient. For that I do appologize. It was only after the fact that I heard there were some problems with the designation of these coins.

I personally agree with mas,date, and usn. Why in the hell should I settle for a lower set rating,when its comprised of 5 circ strike coins in 68 that are no easy chore to find. And why should sms coins be allowed in these circ sets, but 65-7 sms coins are not allowed in their respective sets?

It must be nice to have double standards when needed. And then to have someone of Wondercoins stature say "It was the right thing to do" BS Lay that crap out somewhere else, any of the real collectors here won't buy it. Its the right thing to do: not to admit or handle the mistakes made by a grading service that is supposed to be "the #1 and most respected service in the industry."

I have pulled my set from the registry. 4 of the 5 ms68 05 circ 25c I own, there is no doubt they are correctly labeled. 2 of which were acquired BEFORE the mint set release. And the other coin the pop is so screwed up, it doesn't matter at this point. But to tell me that I my set is of a lesser standing (which can be construed as "lesser quality") because of more common, and lesser valued coins is wrong, any way you cut it. So to hell with their decision to cover their ass. And if my making these comments gets me ousted for awhile, then so be it.

The only right thing to do here is to recall all 05 coins and review them for correctness. That's with paid shipping both ways. But THAT doesn't fly with shockholders so well, does it? Then make all 20 coins required in the registry. And allow the 65-7 sms coins in the circ set also.

I have to wonder what this will do for pcgs later down the road. Now there will always be the shadow of doubt on these and future slabs by pcgs. And it definately kills the competetive nature of the registry, at least to those of us that want a fair playing field. >>

image I totally agree, who cares if PCGS made a few errors on the labeling, it happens and maybe one day will get corrected. But to say that a Satin Finish coin is the same as a business strike coin is crazy talk, because I have yet to find a Satin Finish coin in my change from Mc Donald's. Also, since the SF came in the mint sets the only way to get non-SF would be to search bank rolls. When I want to see a nice Mint State Quarter Set I always check out the 35th place set, Phil's Statehood Quarter Business Strike Collection, even though there not top pop this is what a real Business Strike set looks like! Nice set Phil. Jason

I wonder if all who want to keep the Satin Finish coins in the Business Strike set just don't want to admit there wrong? or go through the trouble of actually finding non-SF coins without going through a high volume submitter?
    Collector of Modern Sprockets!

Don't hate on Moderns. Your Kids and Grandkids are going to pay out the A$$ for them when they're your age!
  • Options
    Yeah, guess those SF only collectors would like to dream of glory with the high grade SF coins but they are soo common in SF69 the values may never increase and I for one am not impressed with their potential scarcity. I specialize in the WA quarters and this year so far have found a WA-P and WA-D in MS68 (pop 2 and one respectively) and found MT-D in MS68 (no P mint yet). I have already ordered 12,000 of ID P&D to search and am just getting started. I average looking at around 30,000 of each new release and then if not found in MS68 I keep looking in the future. Still waiting for someone to offer me a KS-P in MS68 for $1,500 and the one coin found so far is not offerred for sale. The KS-P in SF69 used to be a $500 coin and was somewhat scarce and now less than $100 will buy one... there is a block of six of SF69 KS-P for sale in Teletrade now and I suspect they will go for around $60 each. No MS70 SHQ SF coins graded in 2006 and If I knew PCGS was not going to grade SF70 in 2007 I would not even buy mint sets.... would just wait till year end and gather up the SF69 cheaply. The pop report mistake for the miss-classified SF vs BS SHQ for 2005 has not been fixed. I have a complete file on this and I will visit personally visit with PCGS when I get down there to find out why they are not fixing this obvious 350+/- error. No need for confrontation, just curious why they are not fixing it and whether the error therefor needs to be publicized and documented by other means. Keep up the good work in keeping the issue alive and Dimeman to you I say yawn, yawn, yawn.... your position having a lot of common SF coins is obvious because they are so hard to find in business strike that the dealers do not search for them and the collectors having found them as a pearl of great price will not offer to you with the disrespect you show toward rare and beautiful business strike coins. dr
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, guess those SF only collectors would like to dream of glory with the high grade SF coins but they are soo common in SF69 the values may never increase and I for one am not impressed with their potential scarcity. I specialize in the WA quarters and this year so far have found a WA-P and WA-D in MS68 (pop 2 and one respectively) and found MT-D in MS68 (no P mint yet). I have already ordered 12,000 of ID P&D to search and am just getting started. I average looking at around 30,000 of each new release and then if not found in MS68 I keep looking in the future. Still waiting for someone to offer me a KS-P in MS68 for $1,500 and the one coin found so far is not offerred for sale. The KS-P in SF69 used to be a $500 coin and was somewhat scarce and now less than $100 will buy one... there is a block of six of SF69 KS-P for sale in Teletrade now and I suspect they will go for around $60 each. No MS70 SHQ SF coins graded in 2006 and If I knew PCGS was not going to grade SF70 in 2007 I would not even buy mint sets.... would just wait till year end and gather up the SF69 cheaply. The pop report mistake for the miss-classified SF vs BS SHQ for 2005 has not been fixed. I have a complete file on this and I will visit personally visit with PCGS when I get down there to find out why they are not fixing this obvious 350+/- error. No need for confrontation, just curious why they are not fixing it and whether the error therefor needs to be publicized and documented by other means. Keep up the good work in keeping the issue alive and Dimeman to you I say yawn, yawn, yawn.... your position having a lot of common SF coins is obvious because they are so hard to find in business strike that the dealers do not search for them and the collectors having found them as a pearl of great price will not offer to you with the disrespect you show toward rare and beautiful business strike coins. dr >>

That's my kind of collector! How have you ordered $12,000 dollars worth and my bank won't sell me a Full Sealed Box?!
    Collector of Modern Sprockets!

Don't hate on Moderns. Your Kids and Grandkids are going to pay out the A$$ for them when they're your age!
  • Options
    JL3Eleven you can order state quarters in mint rolls or bags from the US Mint, but be aware that you pay above face value that way. Banks tend to NOT want to give out boxes of the quarters so as to be able to furnish more customers with A roll or two.
    My wife is head teller at her bank, and tells me there is a huge demand for state quarters in rolls and boxes. So in an effort to be fair to all, she has her tellers give out 1-2 rolls per account. And even at that rate can't supply everyone that wants rolls.
    And remember there are tons of people that only ask for a couple of dollars in quarters, so they also have to break many of their rolls down.
    Seems business strikes are in huge demand everywhere, well every where except in the PCGS Registry.
    Dan
  • Options

Let me tell you why I don't care and use SF coins.............they are modern and it does not matter to me! It's not about points! If anything, it's about money. I won't spend over 30-50 bucks for my Roosevelt dimes. I can't imagine the 1500 or more you guys are talking about for coins that were made NOW by the billions. I spend my money on classic coins that were made 100 years ago or more or some less like the Mercs. But the Mercs are a beautiful coin. I'm sorry, but I personally don't like any modern coin designs.......period. I collect the Roosevelt dimes because they go in my Complete Dime Set in the registery. Some of the silver coins look nice, but clad coins are just butt ugly to me.
  • Options
    WCQX,

Please give some advice to finding MS68 quality BS coins. I have search (Not 30,000) a few boxes of rolls of 2005-2007 Roosevelt dimes and have made my share of MS67FB's but no 68. With that said, I would like to know what it is that you look for, because I just do not see it. image I desperately would like to make my own MS68FB dimes, but have been stonewalled. What do you do?

I've also tried to reason with Dimeman and tried to get him to even see our point of view even for a minute or two, but he is dead set on mediocracy. He does has a very deep knowledge and passion for Dimes and should be applauded for his efforts. I just hope someday he sees the light!

Dan60, You going to share the wealth regarding those '07-P rolls? image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan60, You going to share the wealth regarding those '07-P rolls? >>

Paul I don't expect much from these two boxes of scrap metal, but be sure if two 67FB or better were to come from them, you WILL receive one FREE as soon as they come home. image
    Dan
  • Options
    To get 68's graded send in only the best coins found and there should be several high end MS67 coins to accompany your MS68 to the grading room. Most material you get to search does not contain many MS67 let alone high end coins hence you need to order from several sources for the best opportunity to happen upon a gemmy box(es) where MS68 may be found. Also need to be patient as it sometimes takes a lot of lemons to get to the lemonade if at all. Unfortunately as I have found in certain states they do not seem to exist in any reasonable quality like the NV-P, ND-P, MT-P or ND-D where no MS68 have been found to my knowledge. Just because you search thru 15,000+ coins does not mean you will find a single MS68 in these dates at least no one has found one yet to my knowledge. Glad there are only 7 more state quarters to release as this has turrned out to be way more work than anticipated when this set was started in 1999 and super gems could be found more easily in the mint sets. With the advent of the new satin finish by the mint finding super gem MS67-68 business strikes is a lot more work. Happy hunting!
  • Options
    Real good advice Doug and to amplify your point...

A state quarter collector with a super great eye just spent the last several months screening 45,000 fresh coins down to about 140 candidates! About a 100 hour screening project, not to mention the time needed to cash out 44,860 coins and any extra cost of getting the rolls in the first place (plus grading fees now). I will submit the lot tomorrow to PCGS and, frankly, unless the lot yields handfuls of MS68 coins, the "hunter" would have made more money working at McDonalds! But, to a dedicated collector it really has very little to do with the "money".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>TextLet me tell you why I don't care and use SF coins.............they are modern and it does not matter to me! It's not about points! If anything, it's about money. I won't spend over 30-50 bucks for my Roosevelt dimes. I can't imagine the 1500 or more you guys are talking about for coins that were made NOW by the billions. I spend my money on classic coins that were made 100 years ago or more or some less like the Mercs. But the Mercs are a beautiful coin. I'm sorry, but I personally don't like any modern coin designs.......period. I collect the Roosevelt dimes because they go in my Complete Dime Set in the registery. Some of the silver coins look nice, but clad coins are just butt ugly to me. >>

Jon your statement has holes in it. You say you don't care about points, but you buy SF coins that are graded higher than business strikes. But check out the low prices business strike Roosevelts are selling for, you could keep your set ALL business strikes and still not pay any more for the coins. Some cases where you could even come out cheaper, as many of the 66FB's are finding it hard to even return grading fees. Thats the reason the rolls I search will only show 67FB's submitted, the rest remain in the rolls going back to the bank.
    Now if I were in it for the points, I would use my SF coins and move up the registry quite nicely. And if I had a coin that was giving me credit for FB's, when in fact it was NOT FB, but an error in the listing, then I would keep said coin in my set for the extra points. You know, like the 2004-P in your set. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I always order a quantity from the US mint in $250 sealed bags and that is how you get to look at them quickly without having to wait for weeks following to get from local banks one roll at a time. I supply my bank with new state quarters from the $250 mint bags before any other banks in town get them and the bank has actually picked up new customers this way (there are millions of garden variety state quarter collectors). By the time my bank gets their state boxes the customer demand is already fulfilled with my early release $250 bag coins so the bank gives me the sealed boxes they receive! Next I have set up relationships with sealed box suppliers in different parts of the country so you get the best chance of happening upon gemmy material from the $500 bank boxes. I already have standing orders with the box suppliers to get another 18,000 coins so am already committed to search 30,000 Idaho coins.... will actually search more if a supplier comes up with a gemmy box I will order more boxes from that supplier. FYI the mint P bags for Idaho are terrible so few super gems if any will be be found in the Idaho P bags. The Idaho D bags are average so some super gems will be found in them depending on the quantity searched. For example the MT-D in 68 I found all came from bank rolls, none from mint bags and very few in 67 from the mint bags so a broad mix of sources (bags and rolls) are best to increase your chances of finding MS68. The hunting is good at the advent of each new release when the material is flowing around by the millions but like spawning slamon they quickly dry up within months of the release. They are still out there to be found but the job is much more difficult if you do not do it concurrently with each new release. I own every business strike state quarter in MS68 from the 2005 SF SNAFU forward except a KS-P, NV-P, ND-P, ND-D, and MT-P and still looking for those. dr
  • Options
    WCQX and Wondercoin, thanks for the comments, but just one little problem exists for me. I cannot buy bags or rolls from the mint in Roosevelt Dimes as they do not sell this denomination to the General Public.

Dan60's Wife has brought home 2 boxes or '07-P's and he says there scrap metal because they are sooooo bad. Well I would have to believe him 100% because I've seen his '06-P's are they were crap!

I can't believe from one year to the next just how different the 2 mints are. 1 year Denver is better, the next Denver blows and Philly is great, then the following year it goes back to Denver...its crazy.

Thanks again for the comments they do comein handy.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    The solution is simple....

Collectors should collect both "Business" Strikes AND "Satin Finish" coins to have a COMPLETE collection.
    Just a shame that I have to list my higher grade, lessor valued coins in the Registry - I use the fill option with highest graded coins....(it's quick and easy)

Just add a comment to the SF coin that you have it in ms67, ms68 or whatever in Business strike as well.

In the old days, you had a collection that was fairly private, now there is a registry to show off your stuff.

No one should pull there collection off the registry over this. Give PCGS a few more letters, emails ect.

All the coins will eventually get a weighted grade or allow both types of coins.

:-)

This is supposed to be a fun hobby...
  • Options
    Hey everyone. I need to vent, so this post is kind of long. I don't post often, but I am pissed. In my opinion, the people that run PCGS are a collective group of complete and total idiots and don't deserve to hold the positions that they do. I'll explain why.
    I sold my state quarter registry set about 8 months ago mostly due to PCGS's inability to correct the smallest problems, especially when all the information and legwork was done for them and handed to them on a silver platter, and yet 2 years later, nothing. The Board of Experts, as they call themselves, your performance over the past 2 years is nothing but embarassing and shamefull, to sum it all up, it's been pathetic.
    I lost all faith in PCGS about a year ago after I bought a MS68 Oregon-P quarter on TT. There were 10 coins in this auction that were thought to be SF coins in BS holders. All 10 coins were sent back to PCGS to be looked at again. 7 or 8 were SF coins in BS holders and they said the others were correct. Got the coin. Obvious SF in a BS holder. Even after the grader knew the coin was in question, they fu**cked up a second time and kept it a BS coin. Idiot graders and finializers to this day still screw up and call them "mechanical errors". Here's some advice to the Board of Experts. Tomorrow on your lunch hour, all of you go to your local swap meet and get yourselves some BIG BOY SPINES so you can finially man up and explain to everyone why you can't or won't fix the pop report. Instead of dodging the emails and questions, have some common courtesy and the courage to explain yourselves after over 2 years of having your heads up your asses. To me, you guys are a joke. CEO's and presidents of other companies would laugh at your performance and your inability to address and fix problems with your company that you have been fully aware of for over 2 years. Maybe you should come here to Omaha to the next Berkshire Hathaway shareholder convention and see how a real CEO and president, Warren Buffet, runs a company. Second thought, you should probably stay home. Mr. Buffet is one of the richest men in the world for a reason, he doesn't surround himself with idiots and bad business practices. You would more than likely be laughed out of the convention if the people there knew about the way you ran your company and how GOOD you guys seem to handle the problems that have been created by YOU.
    Maybe the problem does need to go public. At the very least, the coin collecting community should be aware of the problems that PCGS fails to address. The "Board of Experts" seem to have a God complex. They have no healthy competition. NGC sucks compared to PCGS. I would love to see a big name, followed by a few FAT wallets and a handfull of well-known dealers, step up and start a new grading service with the strict grading standards of PCGS, but with the loyalty and the professionalism that PCGS has obviously failed to demonstrate over the past years. If Doug, Michael, Wondercoin, and a few more people were the graders of the new company, that's the "dream team" of coin collecting. Put these guys together, nothing but quality products and correctly labeled coins. PCGS needs to be taken down a few pegs, they don't care about the problems they have created and the prices some of their coins bring these days. "The King of Coins", "The Cadillac of Coins", please PCGS. In my opinion, you're on the track to becoming "The Kia of Coins". Kelly Clarkson today, Debbie Gibson tomorrow, which means, PCGS today, new grading company tomorrow.
    Someone explain this to me. A MS68 SD-D quarter has a PCGS price guide value of $1250 with a pop of 25 coins. The MS68 WV-D quarter has a PCGS value of $385 with a pop of 8 coins. I'd like the price guide guy at PCGS to explain why a coin that is 3 times rarer than another coin, is worth 300% less. You can't explain it because you are idiot also. Another example of problems at PCGS that fail to get fixed. The last example of the WV-D sold for $750+ on TT and the last example of the SD-D sold for $55.
    The best way to correct a problem with idiots is to hit them in the wallet. I wouldn't want to invest in a company that fails to fix problems and that make their customers unhappy. Maybe the shareholders should know what's going on in the company they have thier money in. Maybe they'd want to move their money to the new grading company. What company in America do you know that can knowingly ignore a problem for years and get away with it. Not a successful company. If I was a partner with the "Board of Experts", I would have slapped the stupid out of them long ago. Someone should check into any legal problems that could arise from PCGS's inability to correct a problem that they fully are aware of, which in turn, causes the submitters and sellers of these coins to realize a much lesser price than they should if PCGS had corrected the problem when brought to their attention.
    I have kept all of my MS68 business strike quarters from 05 and 06 and will hold on to them because I know the tremendous potential all of these coins have. I'm in my early 30's, so I can hold onto them until PCGS wakes up. I applaud the efforts of people like Doug who continue to search for the business strikes. PCGS is NOTHING without the collectors and the submitters of their coins.
    Some closing advice for the people at PCGS. Seriously, pull your heads out of your asses and do your damn jobs. You need to rethink you leadership. If your leader is an idiot, his people will be idiots. I would personally revamp your company from the top on down to the people you call graders. And just maybe, you might gain back some of the respect that I guarantee your company has lost with many, many people. Also, buy yourselves the latest version of Websters and look up the word Professional that you so proudly put in your company name. If I didn't know what PCGS stood for and knew the truth about your companies actions over the past years, I would swear it was the Pathetic Coin Grading Service. That falls more along the lines of your companies performance than Professional, doesn't it.
    Finally, this is to all of you PCGS asskissers. Go to the bathroom, grab a towel, and wipe your mouth. There's a big chunk of PCGS's ass on your lips. Some of you people on these boards would go half way up PCGS's ass if they ever came to a sudden halt. I'm tired of hearing, they will eventually straighten things out. Maybe they will, but their performance is unacceptable. The problem should have been fixed years ago, not eventually. Are they going to reinburse the sellers of their coins that got screwed because of PCGS's stupidity and laziness? We all know the answer to that one. Everyone is scared that they might be banned from the boards. Any of you 8th grade girls out there that want to go and tell PCGS on me, go ahead, I DON'T CARE. If people don't like what I have written above, I DON'T CARE. It's the truth as I see it and I hope the so called "Board of Experts" read this. If you want to be a group of babies and ban me because the truth hurts your feelings, again, I DON'T CARE. People need to step up and tell PCGS to take their Johnson out of their customers asses. I personally believe that the universe eventually takes out its own garbage, and if a new, strict grading service popped up with people I know and trusted, I would buy from them and gladly watch PCGS lose business and money and hopefully swirl toward the drain and disappear.
    That's all for now, but I have more to say. Maybe if I don't get banned, I'll chime in again. Oh yeah, this goes out to Dimedork, I'm going to save you the trouble of posting your next thought and do it for you. I'm sure it would be something like, Yawn, to the trillionth. You already have yawn to the millionth and billionth, and your probably not clever enough to come up with anything else, so save your time and let me post your next thought for you. Your welcome Dimedork.
  • Options
    Dan,

You can tell by looking at my set that I don't care about points. I prefer MS67 over 66FB. I have not seen bussiness strike 05's and 06's for sale at sf prices.

AS far as my 2004-P dime. I had BJ fix several of my coins that were labeled wrong (Mercs), which she did because she could see the pic and see that it was not fb, but had the fb number. The 2004-P required me sending in the coin, which I will not spend the money to do.

I'm giving up all kinds of points for no bands.............just look at my set!

Jon
  • Options
    dfranks12000,

It seems to me that you need to work on your people skills. For a public forum, you should be able to articulate your opinion with a little cleaner language; a lot of kids are on these boards, my ten year old for one.

Several members have expressed their view point to PCGS, I have on more then one occasion but with a private message or email or even a question on the Q&A forum.

Remember the old saying, sometimes you get more with honey then vinegar.

JMHO,
    Tim
  • Options
    After reading todays posts to this thread, I seriously doubt that it will remain listed until Monday...if were lucky.

With all of the bickering and tasteless remarks, its no wonder alot of posters don't post.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TA..
    I think you are right, his people skills may need some work, but in MHO, the points he makes seem to be on target ..
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Hey TA. I did not know 10 year olds were reading this. This would be the last thing I was doing when I was 10. Times change. For some of my comments and wording, I do appologize to you and your son and any other kids out there. In my line of work, you don't beat around the bush, you cut through the fat and solve the problem. Otherwise, people take their business elsewhere. You don't dance around it, ignore it for years. I know coin collecting is supposed to be a fun hobby, and it is. But some people are in it for the money. I am in it for both. I think it's fun, but I would like my coins to go up in value. Especially coins with pops of 8, 12, 15, etc. With the pop report on some coins still screwed up, people are not receiving the money they should for some coins. If the pop report was corrected, coins sell for what they should. I would think PCGS would want their coins to sell for as much as possible. It would be good for business and investors. As for what I said about the PCGS staff. That is how I feel about their performance and I would hope a grown man could handle a little bit of tough love, especially when they know they have been dodging the issue and can't even give an explanation. I really hope PCGS fixes this problem. Not in 2 months, 6 months, next year. NOW!!! I will continue to buy PCGS, they are currently the best service out there and their coins sell for the most money. But some of them could be selling for alot more if they would just address the issue and fix the problem. Maybe I'm the idiot and not the PCGS people.
  • Options

Hey Dfrankie, why don't you crawl back into the hole you slithered out of!!!!!

Go vent on someone who gives a crap what you think, which would be NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hey, at least let's get it to 1,000 posts before it disappears into the Sunset!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Jon, just a couple friendly jabs at you for all the ho hums...
    OH, and all the anti FB jabs we take from you... image

As for dfranks12000's rant, I have to admit I agree with "SOME" of his post.
    But thats some real vivid lingo he used to express himself. Kinda brings back memories of my time in the military. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Guess it's been too quiet too long

One more closer to 1000 image

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the old days when Mitch would offer give aways... Maybe something for the 1000th post would be cool...
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Still the smartest thing we can all do is collect both SF and business strikes.

The Business strikes will have there day and will jump way up in value.

sssshhhhhhh!! Don't tell anyone. The Business strikes could be some of the best investment moderns we have out there.

The registry may or may not catch on. The buyers/investers will.....

AS for TT.

I pass on coins that are obviously SF when I want a Business strike, unless you WANT to pick a fight with the seller, TT or PCGS.

I think it is still a fun hobby, and this is part of it.

What to do with SF and Business strikes??

Will we be arguing about this in 10 years?

Even if we are, I have my registry collection boxed in order including the SF coins AND I have a box for 2005 on Business strikes, ready to apply to the Registry.

No harm, no foul.

Who is the bigger fool, if we continue to buy a SF coin in a BS holder.

"Buy the coin, not the holder" is what good coin dealers/collectors have always told me.

Well, I do agree that the SF vs. BS coins have made this a little tougher BUT.. come on.
    Satin Finish LOOKS way different than business strikes!

I still think this make a great set of coins even more collectible.
  • Options
    Let me clear something up. I know the PCGS guys are successfull, well-acomplished in the coin field, and respected by many. My post should have been more specific. What I find to be idiotic and embarassing is the actions of the heads of PCGS, or the lack of action in correcting this problem or at the very least, addressing the topic. I do not understand why any company could or would allow the products that they produce to be sold for less, and in some cases, alot less, than what they should be selling for. The reason I am angrier than most of you is that the problem at hand directly affects me. Some of the coins we want fixed are some of the coins that I own. When I sold my registry set about 8 months ago, the highest offer I received for my MS68 WV-D with a pop of 8 coins, was $400. I took that as an insult as I would hope PCGS would. Everyone knows that coin is worth more than $400. Some people think I was out of line with my post, but thank you to the 8 or 9 emails I received from people that agreed with some or most of my points I was trying to make. I fully understand that mistakes will happen. I don't even know what my eyes would feel like or how big my headache would be after looking at coins all day, everyday. But when a company makes a mistake, you say we made a mistake. You don't dumb it down and call it a mechanichal error. Sounds like something a machine would make. Admit your error and do everything in your power to correct it as quickly as possible. It seems so simple of a fix, either start from scratch yourselves and investigate the problem, or confirm the info that was gathered and sent to you. Once again, a big sorry to all of the kids that keep up with this. It never crossed my mind that 10 year olds would be on this forum. When I was 10, I was playing football, eating dirt, or probably doing something stupid. Stay in school, stay off drugs, make alot of money and buy your parents a house. And this goes out to TA. I know you think honey works better. But PCGS has been showered with honey, heck, they are probably drowning in the amount of honey and love that's been given to them over the past 2 years concerning this problem. IMO that approach has gotten the problem nowhere. Maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes you have to use the smelly and stinky stuff when your fishing or trying to get something accomplished. I'm a huge Colorado Buffalo football fan, and for those of you who know college football, Colorado is the Raiders of the college ranks. Maybe some of the mob mentality you experience at a CO home game has rubbed off on me a little too much.
  • Options
    Currin - You are right. I wil be thinking about a neat giveaway for this post reaching 1,000 and CU allowing us to exchange our ideas - even if we don't all agree and at times have some issues with PCGS. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch,

Think platinum!

Edited to add: Or open up your Kennedy Varieties set and I will make a couple of suggestions.......image
  • Options
    7 more to 1000 image

Looks like there will be big changes in this set ranking once Satin Finish coins are available

Presidential Dollars with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (2007-present)

Or do they not belong here??? Presidential Dollars with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (2007-present)
  • Options
    Dare I say there is "progress" on the Registry set front. I have the ear of someone over at PCGS that has a track record of taking the ball to the hoop.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Dare I say there is "progress" on the Registry set front. I have the ear of someone over at PCGS that has a track record of taking the ball to the hoop. >>

Well lets hope it's a clean shot, and no fouls on the drive. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Dare I say there is "progress" on the Registry set front. I have the ear of someone over at PCGS that has a track record of taking the ball to the hoop. >>

Wonder if someone is taking the ball to the End zone on the Pop Report as well

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Can we get this great debate to 1000 posts?