Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The debate on what to do with SF and BS coins continues.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan/Tim - Who are we talking about here?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Nobody here it's a coin on E-bay, here's the link 05 Kennedy Half - My thinking is why would they be selling it way under the going price for a BS kennedy - why will as Tim says they know it's mislabled

Edited to add link

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Thanks Dan.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Back from an 8 day fishing trip to Alaska. Caught a Halibut bigger than myself, 75" long and around 250 pounds (too big for the scale but there is guidebook where you can estimate the wieght from the length and this was fat one!). Tried to post a picture but the file size is too big so I need to figure out how to shrink it. I thought for sure I would have some grading results to report but nothing yet... you other guys must be vey sweet to PCGS to get them graded that fast. Also it took a few more weeks to get thru all that bulk of coins. Not many if any 68's getting graded so I am prepared for that... I did buy a nice 2005-D half in PCGS MS67 from a person that found it himself. The difference between the business strike and SF in Kennedy halves is very easy to tell. My genuine business strike 2005-D half has the raised die pebbles in the fields just like a state quarter as opposed to the micro satin surfaces created by sand blasting the die with small glass and sand particles. Also on the business strike coins there is no satin sheen between the lines of the shield in back and the luster pattern around the shield is less crisp. I have seen that e-bay seller sell what looked like other SF halves in business strike holders so I wish someone would put a lid on them. I also looked at my 2006 and 2007 business strike halves and they have the same basic characeterristics as the 2005 business strikes. In any event the Kennedy's like the state quarters are easy to tell apart between SF and business strike in my opinion. dr
  • Options
    Doug: Simple question.... what would you have rather "reeled in":

A. That incredible Halibut

B. An MS69 business strike quarter?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Good question Mitch. The Halibut is a $600 fish if caught by a commercial fisherman and at $10 per pound dressed out weight is worth around $1,750. I would rather have an MS69 business strike state quarter that is worth more and also more rare than a 250 pound Halibut! dr . P.S. Shrunk the picture but could not figure out how to post directly so just click the link following. Doug.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice fish Doug!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Congrats on a great catch Doug! Growing up in Sitka, we caught a lot of them. They were usually 30 or 40lbs, but no bigger than 200 lbs. 250 is no picnic to bring aboard. Did your captain shoot it before bringing it aboard?

MS69 would be nice too. image
    Seth
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Now tell the truth Doug, who caught the fish ..... wife - girlfriend - or child?image
  • Options
    Great looking Fish but the big Question I have is it a BS or SF fish, looks like a SF to meimage.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Nice catch Doug!!!!

But it sure looks like a Mechanical Error image

• Options
    You guys are great. I need to get up to speed on posting pictures to the thread so I can share some MS68 state quarter beauties that I have found and will find. Thanks Paul for getting that picture up for me. I actually caught the fish but everyone got to pose with it so they could tell their own stories. This was caught in 100' of water between Kenai and Homer in the Stariski Creek area about one mile off shore. Like Seth I usually get between 20 pound and 40 pound fish and the biggest we have caught launching off the beach here in the past was 165 pounds. This one felt like a crab eating the bait and when I picked up a little to see if anything was on the line I thought I snagged the bottom until it started pulling back! Fortunately they are still only minting one type of Halibut in the Alaska waters so it is definately a business strike! dr

Post Script: Seth the fish was harpooned when it got alongside the boat with a big rubber float tied to the harpoon and the other end of the rope tied to the side of the boat. Then after it thrashed around for a while we pulled it closer and shot it thru the head to slow it down a bit more. Then the fish was hog tied from the tail to the head to keep it from thrashing round in the boat (very dangerous to let a big fish trash around, can break a leg, knock a man overboard, or catch someone with the hook! Finally when all that was done and the fish had lost the fight we were able to lift into the boat with two strong men. If it had been much bigger like the "old man and the sea" we would have had to tow alongside the boat! My uncle Maynard from North Dakota was in the boat and he had never been on the ocean before and never caught a fish more than a few pounds. His comment was that it was bigger than most of the deer he hunts! Quite a spectacle and a lot of fun. Following that I had to pull in the anchor and chain so I did loose a few pounds on this trip with the physical exertion. dr
  • Options
    Such a great catch Doug. Glad to hear that you had a good crew on board to do it the safe way! They can demolish a smaller boat and everyone aboard.

We actually had one harpooned good one time, tied off and let him thrash. He slapped his tail, dove for the bottom, and the harpoon pulled through sideways leaving a gaping hole in the fish. Fortunately, he was still on the main fishing line, so we pulled him back in, harpooned again, shot a few times, and he was done. There's a lot to catching and bringing aboard a fish like that. It's an amazing experience for anyone involved! It usually scares the heck out of your average tourist. *LOL*

Now back to looking for the MS69 that got away. image
    Seth
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    It is SSSSOOOOO funny going straight to the end of a long thread.

It usually has nothing to do with the title! image

Catching a fish!

What does this have to do with coins? imageimage
  • Options
    "What does this have to do with coins? '

Simply, that it is far easier (and less desireable) to catch a 250 Halibut than catch an MS69 business strike quarter!

Wondercoinimage
  • Options

<< <i>"What does this have to do with coins? ' Simply, that it is far easier (and less desireable) to catch a 250 Halibut than catch an MS69 business strike quarter! Wondercoinimage >>

Hey now Mitch, a 250lb Halibut carries a lot of points in the Fisherman Registry! Many people fish halibut a lifetime and never catch any over 200lbs on a sport rod. It is very similar to finding a MS69 Business Strike after years of searching diligently. image
    Seth
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin collecting has gotten far too complicated.

I'm going back to collecting coins....
  • Options
    I just noticed the NGC registry for state quarters now has slots for both business and SMS (satin Finish). Hopefully PCGS will foolow suit.
  • Options

<< <i>I just noticed the NGC registry for state quarters now has slots for both business and SMS (satin Finish). Hopefully PCGS will foolow suit. >>

image NGC

Registered Sets in Statehood Quarters 1999-Date
  • Options
    "I just noticed the NGC registry for state quarters now has slots for both business and SMS (satin Finish). Hopefully PCGS will follow suit."
    This is good news. Setting a new standard for the others to follow. If PCGS does this maybe it will raise their level of cognizance to remove their head from where the sun does not shine and fix the 350+ error in the pop report for business strike verses satin finish SNAFU for 2005. Also I have noticed the price of NGC business strike coins on the rise. Makes a person think. dr
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First image for NGC! Second, any chance of you forwarding this perfect statement over to the Q&A so Guth and Co. might see it?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>First for NGC! Second, any chance of you forwarding this perfect statement over to the Q&A so Guth and Co. might see it? >>

I think we need Mitch, wondercoin, to get this to Ron & Co. He seems to be the only guy to get answers.

Seems NGC had no problem doing the right thing.

• Options

<< <i>I just noticed the NGC registry for state quarters now has slots for both business and SMS (satin Finish). Hopefully PCGS will foolow suit. >>

I guess "some companies were born to lead and others born to follow"image

or it could be just an east coast / west coast thing (right / wrong) policyimage

• Options
    I would be happy to meet and/or speak with Ron - in fact, I had a tentative meeting set with him for earlier in the month, but the show got in the way of that plan. I have little doubt that the business strikes will find a home soon in the Registry. Wondercoin

P.S. I have already discussed this matter with Miles Standish and he is all for the business strikes and varieties getting a home in the Registry - he has given me some ideas to even move this along faster (and I have acted upon them).
  • Options
    There are MANY reasons why I believe PCGS did the right thing. I'll name just one right now...

First words of this 1000+ thread

Wondercoin does this mean you have changed your mind on the subject?
  • Options

<< <i> I just noticed the NGC registry for state quarters now has slots for both business and SMS (satin Finish). Hopefully PCGS will foolow suit. >>

It is not just State Quarters, I just checked out the Registry at NGC and they have slots for both SF and BS coins in the Kennedy Half Dollars Too! The ORPHANS finially have a home!image

It is a shame that the ORPHANS have to cross the street to be with their brothersimage
  • Options
    Have not been over to look, but as I understand it both are required in a circ set right. If that's the case that's great but I'm not going to every buy a SF coin so if we go that way also I guess I will have to think long and hard about retiring my Kennedy set as it will never be 100%.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>Have not been over to look, but as I understand it both are required in a circ set right. If that's the case that's great but I'm not going to every buy a SF coin so if we go that way also I guess I will have to think long and hard about retiring my Kennedy set as it will never be 100%.

Dan >>

Dan,

I agree with you, in an ideal situation the Satin Finish would only be allowed in a "Complete" and "Variety" set, not the "Basic" set. But at least NGC is recongizing that the "business Strike" coins need their own slot. Don't retire your set yet, the Registry (powers to be) might see the error of their ways and do the right thing! Remember, it took three years just to get this far.

Now if we can just get more then just the 74-D DDO into the "Variety" set. image

Tim
  • Options
    Tesoro - I supported a Registry set which included the BS and SF coins as well as the low/high leaf coins for some time now. Add a MN error coin in there for good measure as well now. I have been (and continue to) seeking that Registry set to be set up for a long time now. I think we are close to finally seeing it. Once the state quarter set is established, I would expect the same type of format for all the other denominations as well.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Add a MN error coin in there for good measure as well now. >>

1100 very soon

• Options
    Remember that the SF coins are the varieties and not the Business strike coins.The business strike coins alone should be included in the business strike set. PCGS should do a poll of collectors to see what should be included in a variety set. There is little doubt that the majority will support the SF coins in a variety set.

The high and low leaf WI-D coins were recently publicised in Coin World to be clashed dies. Not all die hard collectors want clashed dies in a variety set but I have no objection to them myself. Still baffles me that lincoln cent collectors ( I used to be one) pay so much for the 1922 plain penney that is merely a cruddy obverse die that should have been retired that was polished so hard the mint mark came off. The market decided the 1922 plain lincoln cent was a variety, and it appears the market has decided the WI-D high and low leaf is a variety as well.

Double dies like the MN-P quarters have always been desirable to collectors. "Add a MN error coin in there for good measure as well now" is not sufficient to address the MN DDR varieties.

A simple compromise for now is to include only SF and business strike regular issue coins (no errors) in the variety set. There is plenty of time to professionally survey collectors and all the PCGS dealers to see what support there is for variety set additions (die break varieties, die clash varieties, double die varieties and the like).

I hope the days of letting a handful of dealers and insiders at PCGS call the shots is over. I smell mutiny in the air. The either or decision was greed driven in my opinion and has not been widely supported by the collector community. In my opinion a new satin finish registry should have been established from the start in 2005 and David and Ron if you read this thread remember who those greedy worm-tounged influencers were that convinced you to make such a bad decision and no longer listen to them.

Regardless of the variety set discusions there is no good reason that PCGS does not fix the 350+/- error SF vs business strike on the pop report so lets get that done first, then lets poll the collector community about what should be in the variety set beyond non-error satin finish coins. dr

• Options

<< <i>I hope the days of letting a handful of dealers and insiders at PCGS call the shots is over. I smell mutiny in the air. The either or decision was greed driven in my opinion and has not been widely supported by the collector community. In my opinion a new satin finish registry should have been established from the start in 2005 and David and Ron if you read this thread remember who those greedy worm-tounged influencers were that convinced you to make such a bad decision and no longer listen to them. >>

Doug,

I can't blame the "greedy worm-tounged influencers" that convience PCGS into the 'either / or' policy. The Registry was supposedly set up for "collectors" and PCGS should have checked with the participants of the Registry before they made their finial decision on the ‘either / or policy’. But instead, PCGS just listened to a few and forgot what the Registry was set up for.

Yes I agree with you, the “Basic” set should be for “Business Strike” coins only and both “Satin Finish” and “Business Strike” coins should be in sets purporting to being “Complete” or “Variety” sets. Several collectors have written letter to PCGS about this subject along with questions on the Q & A board which have gone un – answered.

I’m not saying that the NGC Registry has it right, but at least there is movement and they realize that the “Business Strike” coins need their own slots.

It would be nice if PCGS would do a poll of the participants of each Registry group and ask them if they want both types of coins (Satin Finish and Business Strike) in sets purporting to being a) Basic; b) Complete; and c) Variety. At least this way the collector will have had a say in what the components of the sets they want to collect are.

JMHO,
    Timimage
  • Options
    Doug: Not sure if your last comment translates to you now not supporting the all-inclusive variety set (including the 2 WI coins) - which I believe PCGS approved the creation of about a year ago but never got done? Finally, you may recall that previously approved variety set did not contain any MN coins - hence my previous comment concerning MN (consistent with the manner in which PCGS has treated other varieties like it in other sets - for example a slot for a 1936 Ty 1 DDO cent as the example of the variety which has numerous types).

Wondercoin

• Options
    I address this to anyone but specifically to WONDERCOIN, as it seems he, as a dealer, has a closer association with PCGS than the state quarter collectors or makers/Sellers do.

Again a novice thinking, but would population have a part in determining if a coin is required or not. The pop on the Wi-D errors is in the thousands so I would have no problem including one or both. The pop on each MN extra tree, be it MN-P MN-D, business or SF are much much smaller. DO you need 1 coin, 1 business and 1 SF, 1 Philly and 1 Denver all? Please think about this, then poll the collecting base before over reacting.

Wondercoin, since you were involved with the barber dime that just changed hands, was that needed to compete a set of Barber Dimes in the registry? Without looking up it was pop 11 or something I think.

I would hope PCGS would prioritize their efforts
    A) Fix the pop report and price Guides. This help the entire market - buyers and sellers
    B) Determine what to Do with business and SF coins first
    C) Determine other errors/varieties next.

From the collector view, PCGS got it wrong and NGC listened and reacted first. I would hope PCGS would take some guidance from the true collector, but please 2 wrongs do not make a right. Lets address one issue at a time.

• Options
    As a collector and a dealer, I would like to see the registry ironed out as everyone would. The business strikes are magnificent! As many have argued, they came before their current SF replacement, so why are they not given proper value in the registry? IF the PCGS Registry were to look like what NGC has done, it would only make sense that more coins would be submitted. NGC will certainly end up with more coins in their grading room. From a business perspective, it makes sense for PCGS to have both. Most of all, the Registry exists for the collectors and the consensus is clear.
    Seth
  • Options
    Tesoro - I agree with you that the pop report is top priority. The mistakes should be fixed. I have tried to make that happen (as you have, Doug has and a few others)- and I thnk it will happen. I am surprised it has yet to happen. The only thing I can say here is that PCGS has a history or being very, very careful (and conservative) with making changes to the pop report. They hear story after story from both dealers and collectors of why the pops should be changed, for this reason and that. I believe they have a policy of not changing the pop report without a number of "sign offs" - in other words it is very difficult to change the pop report and, overall, that is a very good thing for collectors. Of course, here the information has been assembled backing up the basis for the proposed changes and I believe it will occur.

I am not 100% certain on what it takes for a coin to be considered for the registry (for a variety)- I used to think it was at least -5- slabbed pieces as a starting point. Then there are coins like that dime or a 1913 nickel which probably get excluded by set registry management making that decision.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch. As I stated about the high and low leaf WI-D above "I have no objection to them myself". I just think it wise to survey the collector community before each new addition to a variety set and if we are starting a variety set for state quarters then lets do it right from the start. I support the variety set as long as it is clear the SF coins are the variety and not the business strike coins. I also support the inclusion of WI high and low leaf varieties in that variety set but I do not want my opinions to be weighted more heavily than the average collector that does not have a number one registry set.

I agree in concept with JVD that :
    1) Fix the pop report error from 2005 for +/- 350 coins. I see zero downside for PCGS because collectors that bought these coins in the SF holders knew they are SF as prima facia evidence they were in the SF holder when sold and still are in those holders. Therefore there is no liabilty for fixing this data base classification effor and since we have already identified all the serial numbers it should be very easy for PCGS to do and it should be done now! That has been a thorn in our side for a long time and the poor attitude I display sometimes comes from not fixing the error and I feel that PCGS is very disrespectful to the state quarter collectors for not fixing the error.
    2) Keep the business strike set a business strike set. Abandon the either or policy and only business strike coins are allowed in the basic set, not satin finish.
    3) Establish an all inclusive variety set that includes both business strike and satin finish coins. Show respect and do a poll of a collectors (for sure all the set registrants) to see what additional coins should be in that variety set. Personally I support the WI high and low leaf varieties, and at least 20 of the MN DDR varieties including the SF and business strike varieties. The proof MN DDR can go in a proof variety set if that is desired by proof collectors and I am not a proof collector so no opinion there.

PCGS must be very careful in determining what goes into a variety set. The SF coins need a soft place to land now and if too many expensive error type coins are required in the variety set then it may not be supported by the average budget concious collector. If a variety set does not have broad support from collectors then the SF coins may fall flat once they are out of the business strike set..... an undesirable result for dealers and collectors. Hence my thought that we start with the SF coins in the variety set and expand it from there once collectors are surveyed. I have no doubt collectors will support MN DDR because they are cheap now because so many varieties exist so getting 20 of them is not that tough a job. For example a few MN-P DDR 8 (cool looking coin) in PCGS MS63 have sold on E-bay recently for less than $30 and there are many other cool MN DDR that are also not that pricey yet so a good time for the average collector to get them. The WI leaf varieties are much more expensive and I am hoping collectors will adopt them in the variety set too (I already own them) but the price may scare them off.

I noticed PCGS has been very hesitant to add new coins in the silver quarter variety set. Type B reverse for P quarters (1956-1964), and type C (clad reverse for 1964-D), 1963 DDO #1 1942-D DDR #1 etc. etc. are now being recognized and holdered by PCGS but they do not appear in the silver quarter variety set. PCGS has taken a conservative approach by first recognizing and holdering a variety, and then determining in the future after collector support is fully measured whether to put them in the variety set. I think that same conservative approach is needed for the state quarters as well. In my opinion the state quarters represent a major grading revenue for PCGS both now and even more in the future as millions of young collectors get more resources in the future to invest in slabbed coins. Since I have been a strong supporter of PCGS for many years and so far have only sent my coins to PCGS for grading I would like to see PCGS successful with the state quarter decisions and not allow the competitors to get a leg in the door.

Having said that though and regarding the business strike coins since I spend thousands of dollars on grading fees and hundreds of hours serching massive quantities of business strike coins to find these beauties I must be mindful of market conditions for business strike state quarters and the values and price considerations for them and if NGC continues to pull business strike collectors away from PCGS then that will influence my decision where to send my beauties in to be graded. I noticed one top coin hunter and grader that occasionally weighs in on this thread has mutinied some time ago and seems very successful with NGC now... a top coin guy and a thinking man so the NGC threat should be considered very real to PCGS it is not just hype and imagination at play here. dr

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that (state quarters aside) you can't get any return on business strike coins. I'm speaking of Roosevelt dimes for instance. Most have no idea how hard it is to find MS67FB dimes from rolls. An example is, there have been NO MS68 dimes made since 2004, FB/no FB, other than the Satin Finish coins.
    And as an example, Nick (onlyroosies) has a 2005-D on ebay as I type this, thats only bid up to $300.
    This is a pop 2 coin, I own the other one, and when/if the sets get strightened out, a lot of the top Roosie collectors are going to be upset that they passed on this coin when it was up for grabs.
    Think about it, 2005/2006/2007 and still it's a pop 2. If that was a state quarter it would be bringing over $1000. at this time.
    Who needs to get the blame for crushing the value of these low pop condition rarity coins???? image
    Dan
  • Options
    WCQX, you may be stubborn but I agree with everthing you said.
    After PCGS corrects the pop report, maybe it should work on the SF/Business strike issue with a denomination other than quarters to establish a workable approach. With WI, MN and I think Oregon varieties and 140 coins a year it might be easier to first hit something else.

I am not following the Presidential dollars, but i think there are as many if not more permutations than the state quarter. Hopefully everyone will be happy soon

1100 in site
  • Options
    I have a compromise that I think is fair to all concerning the business strike verses satin finish in the registry issue.

In the beginning of 2005 it may have been considered fair that the either or policy was adopted. This would have been a logical decision since in the past for the most part it was either or as difficult to find super gems in mint sets or bags and rolls depending on the date and mint-mark.

As time has gone by since 2005 it is apparent there is a huge disparity in the quality of production and the SF coins are so common and plentiful in high grade that in hindsight the either or decision has turned out to be a "forget about the business strike coins and go for the mint "ga ga" products if you want to rate high in the registry" decision and that is viewed as an insult by many collectors, especially for the older modern series like the lincoln cents. nickels, dimes, and the kennedys. Fortunately for those series there are only two coins to collect each year.

My compromise is simple: Let the basic registry sets require both the SF coins and the business strike coins to be considered complete. No need to further complicate the issues by making a variety set. I know that some of you will never buy a SF coin and have stated so on this thread. The most vocal and adament ones who will never buy a SF coin are those in the 2 coin per year registy. A set of SF 68 coins for those two coin per year collectors for 2005 and 2006 are around $30 now so go spend the $60 and get them, big deal. At least that will level the playing field and allow you to get points up on the business strike coins you covet that others are not willing to pay for or hunt down the old fashioned way.

Speaking for the state quarters the longer this decision is put off the worse the effect will be in the future. There is still plenty of raw material out there to be searched and finding several hundred MS66 business strike coins to fill the slots for 2005 and 2006 for those collectors that do not already own them is no problem and in the processs more MS67 and MS68 coins will be made for the serious collectors desiring higher grades (most serious state quarter collectors already own high grade business strikes anyhow, I know, I sell to them). If PCGS will set the bulk grading price for MS66 low enough, say $6 then dealers can sell MS66 for $20 each and still make a nice profit and demand will be high enough to justify the effort if PCGS requires business strikes for a complete registry. At ten coins per year that will cost those state quarter collectors around $200 more per year to get MS66 examples and that is reasonable and a good compromise in my opinion. A set of SF 68 coins for those years is coincidentallyaround $200 for the ten coins.

If I could go back in time and be a part of the either or decision process you bet I would be stubborn that the SF coins be in a separate registry but those days were never there to begin with so need to lament what might have been now. On a go forward basis everyone will win if both business strike coins and SF coins are required in a complete basic registry set IMHO. The business strike coins will not be left in the dust with this compromise. From a liability management standpoint I think PCGS would be hard pressed to orphan the SF coins at this time given their policy has mode them collectible and a change in that policy may flatten them to nothing and create a liabilty from disgruntled collectors. The liability for requiring business strike coins to be added to the basic registry sets is not there and if those ga ga mint product collectors do not like it then fine let them have there ga ga mint product registry and we business strike collectors would be more happy because of it. Also, this compromise will also create a mini-boom for dealers and for PCGS with several thousand more slabbed business stike coins required by June of 2008.

I do not feel I am stubborn, just looking for a simple compromise of some kind so the business strike coins are not orphaned.

Also, lets not forget that the US mint is unpredictable. What if they do not produce mint sets or do produce them without mint marks? Why is it taking so long this year to release mint sets? What will we do with the either or decision if non-mint marked coins are produced? At least if both SF and business trike coins are required we can continue to collect business strikes with certainty because the business strike coins will always be produced for citizens to buy their goods and services while the mint is fickel and may change their minds at any time concerningthe ga ga products like they did when they dropped the SMS of 1965-1967. dr

• Options

<< <i>My compromise is simple: Let the basic registry sets require both the SF coins and the business strike coins to be considered complete. No need to further complicate the issues by making a variety set. I know that some of you will never buy a SF coin and have stated so on this thread. The most vocal and adament ones who will never buy a SF coin are those in the 2 coin per year registy. A set of SF 68 coins for those two coin per year collectors for 2005 and 2006 are around $30 now so go spend the $60 and get them, big deal. At least that will level the playing field and allow you to get points up on the business strike coins you covet that others are not willing to pay for or hunt down the old fashioned way. >>

I guess I'm in the will never own a SF club. You make some good points --- but if this is what is in store then I would most likley will bid good by and retire my set. I will keep it but it will just be a unlisted set. A set of Franklins is looking better and better the longer this drags on.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I'm in the will never own a SF club. You make some good points --- but if this is what is in store then I would most likley will bid good by and retire my set. I will keep it but it will just be a unlisted set. A set of Franklins is looking better and better the longer this drags on. >>

Dan,

Don't sell your Kennedys yet. But if want to protest, may I suggest if you start collecting Franklins, collect NGC slabbed coins. I think NGC is tougher on the FBL and why feed the money to PCGS for grading fees if they will not listen to the collectors as far as the Registry goes?

JMHO,
    Tim
  • Options
    imageDoug, your post is well spoken and very fair to all the registry collectors. I hope PCGS goes with it!

One point I have to disagree on though. In all fairness, Satin Finish have their conditional rarity just the same as Business Strikes do. If we sold Business Strike MS67's like MS69 Satin Finish have been sold in open auction and to the same extent, their market price would be in the same category. (Supply/Demand) If you want to compare the very rare MS68's to the MS70 Satin Finish, I think you could come up with more 68's than 70's. They both have their highlights and conditional rarity attached. The main difference being that you would run out of Mint Sets to search before Bricks of Business Strikes.

Perhaps Satin Finish don't have to be called "junk" for the Business Strikes to be given their day in the spotlight? Both are fantastic varieties of each great state!

Sincerely,

Seth
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, >>

<< <i>Don't sell your Kennedys yet. But if want to protest, may I suggest if you start collecting Franklins, collect NGC slabbed coins. I think NGC is tougher on the FBL and why feed the money to PCGS for grading fees if they will not listen to the collectors as far as the Registry goes? >>

Tim. The set will never ( ? ) be sold, but just retired and collected and upgraded off line if things don't change soon . I have thought about NGC for my Franklins.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    "One point I have to disagree on though. In all fairness, Satin Finish have their conditional rarity just the same as Business Strikes do. If we sold Business Strike MS67's like MS69 Satin Finish have been sold in open auction and to the same extent, their market price would be in the same category. (Supply/Demand) If you want to compare the very rare MS68's to the MS70 Satin Finish, I think you could come up with more 68's than 70's. They both have their highlights and conditional rarity attached. The main difference being that you would run out of Mint Sets to search before Bricks of Business Strikes.

Perhaps Satin Finish don't have to be called "junk" for the Business Strikes to be given their day in the spotlight? Both are fantastic varieties of each great state!"

Seth I do not recall ever referring to the SF coins as junk. No disrespect intended from me but the SF coins are definately mint made "GA GA" products but they are not junk.

I agree that there are more MS68 business strike coins than MS70 SF graded by PCGS. We may never again see SHQ graded SF70 by PCGS so we may have reached the ceiling at SF69 for 2006 forward. There are thousands more SHQ graded SF69 than business strikes graded MS68.

Most MS67 state quarter business strikes go for less than $50 and complete set for a year is around $600 including the tough ones. Yes with increased demand the price could get higher but back to your argument that is where you come in to find more from the unsearched "bricks" still out there to meet that demand. And you can continue to search mint sets for conditional rarities.... have the best of both worlds!

The supply and demand have already made their case as far as 2006 SF coins go. As of today the mint is still selling 2006 mint sets and has been for over a year now and no sell out. A pop top set of 2006 SF 69 did not reach the opening bid on e-bay as of August 12 for $1,050 ebay Item number: 150147959255. Rare MS68 business strike state quarters sell for over $1,000 each and they are not even required in the registry and not for the love of points would someone pay $1,000 for a single MS68 when they can get a whole pop top set sof SF69 coins for $1,050! Recently as reported in this thread a collector did not make a single MS68 coin from a purported 35,000 coin search that was screened by Mitch. You also reported that you did not make any MS68 from the undisclosed amount of material you searched. How many SF 69 do you estimate you would find if you searched that many SF quarters?

The important thing to remember with the compromise to include both SF and business strike coins in the registry is that it is no longer important to argue of the merits of either business strike or SF coins.

If both are required in the basic set then both are important and both will be collected and collectors and dealers can emphasise one or both types as they choose. I have bought many nice business strike and SF coins from you Seth and will to continue to do so if you offer them to me.

It is not my intention to demean the SF coins. I only want a workable compromise reached soon before the bricks dry up and there are tens of thousands of common SF69 coins and a handful of SF70 coins! remain forever sealed in mint sets and plastic holders while truly rare MS68 business strike coins go quietly into circulation.

I have not found a single KS-P, NV-P, ND-D or ND-P or MT-P in MS68 and I have searched tens of thousands of each of them and material has dried up already. If both SF and business strikes are required then I will get more help and possibly these can be found. Hope we can reach this compromise before our chances of finding these business strikes in MS68 enter into circulation.

Best to all and hope to hear more positive ideas. I hope that requiring both SF and business strike coins in the basic registry set is a compromise that PCGS will approve. Would prefer that the SF coins go into a variety set but am willing to make this compromise for the good of the order. dr

• Options
    I'm sorry Doug for mis-quoting you. I believe you refer to them as common in high grade or something to that nature. I believe we're both on the same page, but reading in opposite directions. The Business Strike 67's are comparable to the Satin Finish 69's as far as conditional rarity goes. There's no comparison between MS68 business strikes and MS69 Satin Finish from a rarity perspective for the most part. Just as many MS67's are found to make MS68 Business Strikes, there are many MS69's made to make the MS70 Satin Finish. We didn't make any 70's for 2006 unfortunately. Regardless, your point is very well taken that it's easy to see why many collectors buy MS69 SF instead of MS68 Biz pricewise. However, I've also found that the collector wanting a complete, "affordable" set seems to buy a set of MS69 Satin Finish AND a set of MS67 Business Strikes. Or even MS68 SF & MS66 BS which is more affordable. For most, the MS68 Business Strikes and the MS70 Satin Finish are "moon money" and out of the question. So, the suggestion to have both SF & BS in the same set makes perfect sense as many collectors already have complete SF & BS sets.

Your registry set format recommendation makes sense!

Have a Great Week,
    Seth
  • Options
    Thank you Seth for the support of the concept. When you say "However, I've also found that the collector wanting a complete, "affordable" set seems to buy a set of MS69 Satin Finish AND a set of MS67 Business Strikes. Or even MS68 SF & MS66 BS which is more affordable. For most, the MS68 Business Strikes and the MS70 Satin Finish are "moon money" and out of the question. So, the suggestion to have both SF & BS in the same set makes perfect sense as many collectors already have complete SF & BS sets." you are 100% correct and right on point as usual with your analysis of the state quarter collector and I hope PCGS will agree with us! dr
  • Options
    Seth
  • Options

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    Somewhere in the past I may have called SF coins junk. Having been so depressed that my BUSINESS STRIKES were being so mistreated, it's possible I went a little further than intended.
    I would be in favor of a combined set being put into service that would take both coins. But at the same time I still want, A TRUE UNCIRCULATED SET restored somewhere along the line. Thats what I started years ago, and what I truly want to be able to finish before my time here is up. Seems only fair to those who have been investing so much time and effort through the years.
    Dan