Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'll be setting up, against my better judgement.....PM sent
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Hey Joe try and have a 8x10 of Lem Barney with a light background thats good for a black sharpie signature, Id pick up a few (:
    Nathan Wagner
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nate, I don't have one to sell but I could photoshop out the signature on a signed one I have.
    sounds good, Ill take one up there on sunday! Thanks (:
    Nathan Wagner
  • mschwademschwade Posts: 66 ✭✭
    VERY, VERY Happy to add this TOUGHIE to my Ohio State coaches collection... Only the 2nd Sam Willaman I've ever seen! Coached Ohio State from 1929-1933. Coached Western Reserve in 1934, and died before the 1935 season.

Ohio State football coaches and All-Americans collector.
  • wju2004wju2004 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Very nice piece. Especially love the Wheeling address as that's right across the river from me.
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi All,

Well we finally have to bit the bullet and replace the family car. For me that means selling some items to help with the down payment. Here are a couple of items that I would like to sell. If your interested please e-mail me or send a PM. My e-mail is (ewolfe@wi.rr.com). Prices are negotiable.

1. November 22, 1940 Jock Sutherland TLS on Brooklyn Dodgers letterhead. $300.00

2. 1947 My life and times with the Redskins signed book with a excellent condition dust jacket. Signed on the first page by Turk Edwards, Bob Nussbaumer, Dick Todd and Sammy Baugh. $750.00
    imageimage

3. Autographed "The 50 years, the story of the National Football League" Hard cover book. The book is signed on the first two pages by 53 players including 10 NFL hall of famers including: Joe Stydahar, Dan Fortmann, Ed Healey signed twice, Marion Motley, Johnny"Blood" McNally, Alex Wojciechowicz signed twice, Bill Dudley, Art Donovan, Brusier Kinard, Lou Creekmur and Benny Friedman. $750.00
    imageimage

4. October 13, 1959 Steve Owen TLS on Toronto Argonaut letterhead with mailing envelope. Letter was sent to Mrs. Bert Bell after Bert Bell passed away. Really clean autograph. Letter is framed and matted with photo. $1,000.00
    imageimageimage

5. June 12, 1965 Joe Guyon handwritten and signed letter. Letter was sent concerning a testimonial dinner for Joseph Zacko. Joe signed "Canton Bulldogs" under his name. Letter is framed and matted with a HOF photo. $1,000.00
    imageimage

Thanks for looking,
    Ed
    Thanks wju2004, I did some research on the Ferris Woodruff. He was 18 years old at the time so I presume he was a high school prospect and this was a recruiting letter.
    This is a long shot, but I am hoping that a post in this thread will help me in my search. It's such a tight-knit community that I am hoping someone knows something and somehow I can get a lead or get put on some kind of trail to keep researching. Now that I knocked out a Sam Willaman from my Ohio State coaches collection, I am in search for a Perry T. W. Hale. He played football at Yale (All American in 1900) and later went on to coach at Ohio State (1902-1903). I know this Perry Hale, pictured below, was sold about 10 years ago or so.... Does anyone own this? Do you know who might own it? If you have any details, please email me at the address below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt Schwade
    mschwade@gmail.com

• raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    sorry about your car dave. I've got $50 on the Davis custom from Jeffrey
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
    Indeed very sorry to hear about the car, Dave. Really wish I had the extra money to help you out as I would love to have a few of those pieces, especially the books. Both have a few autos I am still missing.
    I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts on last night's auction results. Some great HOF autos were on display, and had some very strong finishing prices last night. The Lambeau, Reeves, McNally, and Edwards were very strong. I came away with a full size LSU helmet signed by Mattheiu and Patrick Peterson, a Matthew Stafford jersey, and a Tomlinson mini helmet. No additions to my HOF PC however image

The one that did surprise me a bit was the Henry cut. I know it was covered in tape, but the hammer price of just under $800 did surprise me a bit. Thought it'd go higher than that. I know one member added two great pieces, and hopefully some of you were able to snag some additions to your collections as well.....

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
    The Henry cut was a steal (wasnt me) glad to see a lined Edwards 3x5 it 750, thats good for my unlined one. As far as the Lyman at $380 I think thats awesome for those of us who got ours in the $250 range previously (:
    Nathan Wagner
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    I picked up the Greasy Neale 3x5.
    I got my link for $99 uncertified, and had it graded for $15. some day it'll go to Jeffrey to make into a custom cut

"In Al We Trust!"

• Which auction did I miss out on?
    Well, you can thank me on the Lyman. I probably should have stopped, but I went after it a bit too hard. Lol. Also got the Guyon. Not sure how I did on it really.

I also went after the Henry, but after talking to Derrick, the tape scared me. Would hate to watch it disappear over time. Guess I should have at that price anyhow. At least with everything I have incoming, I will be at 260 soon.
    I really thought the Henry would sell for around $1,200 after premium. The problem with these auction houses are the increments are so ridiculous. The Henry sold for $733 or so I think after premium - but the next bid it would have been close to $900 when it's all said and done. It's almost like it's a race to get to the one spot where they'll end up. The Henry was a great price - the next bid would have been a good price, and the one after that probably overpaying with how their increments work. I would be nervous about tape on the auto and what it'd do over time I guess, but at under $750 it'd be worth the chance. Another bid or two I'd be nervous - but not sure what the tape would actually do long term wise in a slab......

"In Al We Trust!"

• revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I had a bid in on the Fats Henry, but never went back to it - thought it was a fair price to pay. I have several taped over autographs and think it lowers the appeal and value. I thought the other prices were reasonable, but maybe my frame of reference has been skewed by the fact that my last two big name autographs, Kiesling and Dilweg, were at the high end of the price range. The guys on my want list now are all pretty scarce, although some might not be that costly. I picked up these two recently for very reasonable prices. Parnell was one of the original NY Giants in 1925 and Wiberg joined the team in 1930.

Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Wish I would have seen this auction sooner - I would have made a run on that Henry Jordan....dang!!!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    its funny how things work. the other day i was at the PO and on counter was a catalog for that auction. turns out someone else with a PO box and my PO is a collector too. i had never heard of that auction house before. i put a few bids in on the Henry and Marshall. but was out bid. at least i have an potential new source for packer autos as the house is base in WI!!

now if only i can track down a 2004 Packers at Detroit non-ticketmaster ticket. turns out i might have been lucky to have gotten my longer awaited for 1992 Packers at Browns ticket on ebay. I won a Lelands auction on Ebay for a lot of 1992 programs and tickets and that ticket happened to be in the lot. that is the only one i have seen on ebay in the 7 years i have been looking. I only stumbled upon as the auction had tickets in it. They also had other lots of programs which had pictures of tickets but this the only one that said tickets in the title. I did happen to win a few of their other auctions as well. Will tell more once i get the package. For a auction house like Lelands they did a poor job. Items were finally sent two days ago, though auction ended on 3/31 and I paid ASAP. Most of their titles only said programs, but pictures show tickets and other gameday give aways and newspapers. Subtitle says High Grade Packers Items. If everything that was in the pics are included i have scored some nice unused tickets, including playoff games. They even had a 1996 Packers vs Niners Divisional Round Ticket list with 1997 season items. This was a mud soaked game that has both program and what appears to be two tickets, one torn and one unused. Got the lot for $11. If program isnt rained soaked its worth a lot more than $11 alone. Not to mention that the full tickets are quite rare. The Packers have stated that there were roughly 10 no shows for the game. Though there are people that get team issued replacements for their tickets and keep unused ones.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Rev -I'm glad you're getting those autographs with such sentimental value.

you mentioned you have lots of autos with tape. what happens to them over time? what will that Henry look like in thirty years?

"In Al We Trust!"

• revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    The tape turns yellow and a bit opaque -

<< <i>The tape turns yellow and a bit opaque - >>

Yeah, pretty much why I was gun shy about the Marshall and Henry. Figured it might be nice to have, but that would certainly made me sad to see it go to the point where you can't see it anymore.
  • Do you have a link to the auction site?
    www.collectauctions.com
  • Thanks.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Is anyone attending the National this year in Chicago? I'm planning on going at least 2 days this year. I am definitely getting Bart Starr to sign a 1957 Topps RC.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Hello everyone,

For my Facebook friends, I posted a number of pictures from Chantilly last week of some athletes with my son Ben. Some of the pictures are Ben with : Jim Otto, Bud Grant, Sonny Jurgenson, Dan Hampton, Cris Carter, and Barry Sanders. Had a great time down there, turned in my biggest submission ever to get authenticated. Ended up with SIX, Full LOA's. and about 40 Basic Certs.

Even though no one asked me, LOL, I would like to give my opinion about the CollectAuction that ended Thursday night. I was an active bidder on 5 different lots, but after I spent as much as I did at Chantilly, I wasn't able to go after the lots as hard as I would have liked. First, what I think were some good buys at at a good, or even VERY good price, George Preston Marshall check cut for 568 was pretty reasonable, The Pete Henry check cut for 757 was a very good deal. I think the BEST item for the price was the Lot of 12, that included autographed letters from Millner, Michalske, and Wojciechowicz, plus the cuts of, among others, Christiansen, Hein, Dutch Clark, and Dick Lane for 325 was a GREAT price. Also , the MINT 9 index card of Conzelman for 159.

Now, the items that , in my opinion, people overpayed for, and I hope that nobody on this website bought these four lots : 382 for a Lyman index card, I have lost track of how many I have seen sell on Ebay for in the 175-225 range. 382.... REALLY !!!!!, Greasy Neale for 421 is to me just a bit high. I paid 325 for mine, and it is MUCH nicer.

I won't name him, but someone asked me about these next two, and I gave him my opinion on what I thought a fair price would be. Turk Edwards, LINED and graded an 8 for 750.00
    I paid 600.00 for and UNLINED 3 X 5 card that is GRADED a MINT 9. Finally, the Curly Lambeau. For an easy comparison, look at the one that Lew Lipset sold last year for just 770 more. The Lambeau was nicer, as it was signed E.L. "Curly" Lambeau, plus you got a Cal Hubbard, Clarke Hinkle, an ARNOLD Herber, AND a Walt Kiesling.

Reese, I am NOT going to the National, as it is once again HOF week, and this will be the BIG 50 Celebration. Is there any chance you will come over to Canton after the National. If so, I might want to mail you a team signed football that I want to get authenticated AND Graded. It is a killer item I came up with. Showed it to Jim in Chantilly. He was pretty amazed, but he said it will be a few months till he starts his grading service. He did take some pictures of it, but I need PSA to give me a grade on it. If you are coming over, I will mail to you, and you can bring it here with you. Let me know.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Well, unfortunately I am the victim of the Lyman. I should have stopped, but have been after one for so long, I overdid it by quite a lot, sadly. I was after the Edwards, but after it got that high, I packed up and quit on that with a little tip from Derrick on that one. I am just going to have to suck it up and pay for my Lyman and accept that I overpaid by quite a bit. Also picked up the Guyon in that bunch. I am usually pretty good about waiting things out, but I got impatient on Lyman after so long and just jumped a little TOO high.

Also backed off on the Henry though after a bit of advice on what might happen due to the tape. Thinking back, probably should have gone after it at that price and just looked to upgrade and resell, honestly.
    Wasn't the Neale personalized too?
    Nathan Wagner
    I was the one that purchased the Neale and yes it was personalized. My actual final bid was $354 but after they take the 19% buyers fee on to that the price sky rocketed.
  • I was the member who asked Rocke for his input on Edwards and Lambeau. I took his sage advise and dropped out early on Curley and late on Turk. I wish this site could have an auction coordinator! We pushed the price of many of the Collectauction Football autographs much higher than they would have been, if We ,you and I,had not been bidders. Good for the consigner and Collect Auctions but not the winners?? on this site.

Rocke, thanks for you input and perspective as always. Love the Facebook pictures. Your son must have had a Ball!

Craig
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Congrats on the recent auction pickups. I overpay for pieces all the time, but I'm ok with that. I doubt many of us here are in the hobby to make money.

Here is a signed note by Eddie Cochems (1877-1953), who many (including himself) credit with inventing the "forward pass". I doubt he "invented" it, for it was legalized prior to the 1906 season. However he clearly was an early pioneer. Doubt this note has any value, but I thought it was a fun piece to share.

Cheers

Mark

<< <i>Hey guys,

Congrats on the recent auction pickups. I overpay for pieces all the time, but I'm ok with that. I doubt many of us here are in the hobby to make money.

Cheers

Mark >>

Mark is right. To me, it's only overpaying for something if you intend to resell it later. Take for example my Sam Willaman autograph I just picked up.... I had only seen one other one and I knew I was never going to get it from the person that owns that particular one. When I saw this second one, it wasn't for sale. I had to make a huge offer and probably paid four times what its real value is, but to me, it was worth every penny. I was glowing for a week after that purchase! With that being said, make sure to only overpay for those that aren't intended to leave your personal collection.
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

That is a great autograph of Eddie Cochems. Thank God for Jimmy Timbers! What a collection that must have been.

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
    Got this nice little piece in. Waited for it to not sell on e-bay before making contact with the seller and got it for a little cheaper. It's a very nice, bold signature, which isn't common from what I have seen. It is PSA/DNA authenticated and will probably send it in for slabbing along with my extra Arnie Herber.

<< <i>Reese, I am NOT going to the National, as it is once again HOF week, and this will be the BIG 50 Celebration. Is there any chance you will come over to Canton after the National. If so, I might want to mail you a team signed football that I want to get authenticated AND Graded. It is a killer item I came up with. Showed it to Jim in Chantilly. He was pretty amazed, but he said it will be a few months till he starts his grading service. He did take some pictures of it, but I need PSA to give me a grade on it. If you are coming over, I will mail to you, and you can bring it here with you. Let me know.

Rocke >>

Rocke,

I wont be able to make it to Canton this year, but if you need me to drop something off to be graded I would be more than happy to help. Let me know!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Did anybody win the Dan Fortmann G.L. on Ebay Thursday? One bid $1499. I somehow missed this one. $1500 is not cheap but a bargain for one of 33!!
    Craig
    I am breaking up my collection of 1952 Bowman Football Autographs. I've assembled a large portion of the most difficult cards to obtain in the set. I will listen to offers. Shoot me a message here or on Ebay if you are interested. They end in a couple hours.

Thanks!
    Reese

Ebay Store
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    The Joe Campanella and Jimmy Phelan are absolutely glorious!
    Nathan Wagner
    Here are my two pick-ups from the Collect Auctions. Of course the Lyman I heavily overpaid for as discussed before, but the Guyon is rather gorgeous in my opinion.

I have sent 14 of my cuts into Jeffrey (Alifawa2) to have him transform these into custom cards. The first ones he is starting with are the Jim Thorpe, Curly Lambeau, and Walt Kiesling. Here are the before pics ¡V followed by the afters. I will update this thread as the other 11 cards (Greasy Neale, Em Tunnell, Sid Luckman, Len Ford (no before pic), Tuffy Leemans, Steve Owen, Turk Edwards, Link Lyman, Arnie Herber, George Preston Marshall and Jim Finks). Jeffrey does a great job, is very timely and straight forward with what¡¦s going on with your autos, and is VERY reasonably priced. If anyone has something they¡¦ve thought about turning into a custom card, I¡¦d recommend sending him an email (feel free to contact me if you need help getting in touch with him).

So here are the first three he¡¦s done for me. Sonia is leaving PSA/DNA (which sucks for my group subs I put together and she was my contact for everything¡K.hopefully her replacement helps as much as she did). I¡¦ll give you updates as he creates my other 11 ƒº

Jim Thorpe:

Curly Lambeau:

Walt Kiesling:

"In Al We Trust!"

I agree with Derrick about Jeffrey, he has done a few cuts for me as well and they have turned out fantastic. He does GREAT work and will try and and do anything that you want. So far he's done a few Al Davis cuts for me and I just reveived back today a Cal Hubbard cut that he did.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    David, Derrick, Always glad to be able to help you both out. Thrilled you like the work.

<< <i>I have sent 14 of my cuts into Jeffrey (Alifawa2) to have him transform these into custom cards. The first ones he is starting with are the Jim Thorpe, Curly Lambeau, and Walt Kiesling. Here are the before pics ¡V followed by the afters. I will update this thread as the other 11 cards (Greasy Neale, Em Tunnell, Sid Luckman, Len Ford (no before pic), Tuffy Leemans, Steve Owen, Turk Edwards, Link Lyman, Arnie Herber, George Preston Marshall and Jim Finks). Jeffrey does a great job, is very timely and straight forward with what¡¦s going on with your autos, and is VERY reasonably priced. If anyone has something they¡¦ve thought about turning into a custom card, I¡¦d recommend sending him an email (feel free to contact me if you need help getting in touch with him).
    >>

<< <i>I agree with Derrick about Jeffrey, he has done a few cuts for me as well and they have turned out fantastic. He does GREAT work and will try and and do anything that you want. So far he's done a few Al Davis cuts for me and I just reveived back today a Cal Hubbard cut that he did. >>

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Wrong forum.....sorryimage.

Ken
    mschwade,

PM sent

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    Jack Butler passed today.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    RIP Jack Butler - a great player as well as a great TTM signer over the years.

Does anyone know how many living NFL HOF'ers are left? I have 162. Is that correct?

Oldest Living NFL HOF'ers

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

• << <i>RIP Jack Butler - a great player as well as a great TTM signer over the years.

Does anyone know how many living NFL HOF'ers are left? I have 162. Is that correct?

Oldest Living NFL HOF'ers >>

Hey Jim, Including the Class of 2013, I also came up with 162.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.