Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    Those are some sweet pics Rocke. You probably get enough stories for a lifetime with each one of these visits you get. You've got the best job in the world!! Yet I wonder how you can make fun of me for not wanting anything to do with Facebook (even though my wife shows me any time you post) yet you are unable to copy and paste a simple IMG code. Go figure image
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
    I almost forgot - did anyone here win the Lyman cut last night for over $1,100? Was shocked it got that high - but it was a gorgeous cut auto for sure!!

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • I missed out on that card, and I'm pissedimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello All,
    Got to drive around former Ohio State Linebacker Randy Gradishar a few weeks ago. Posted a couple of pictures on Facebook. This Saturday, I will be picking up Kansas City Chief Hall of Famer, ( and Alliance, Ohio ) native, Len Dawson. I have had the THRILL od having TEN Hall of Famers over to my house, plus a number of non-Hall of Famers. Every one has been VERY special to me in one way or another. But, there is no denying that I am ESPECIALLY excited about the possibility of getting Len over to my house. First and foremost, There are five Hall of Famers that played High School football here in Stark County, where I live, and where the Hall is located. Marion Motley and Paul Brown have passed away. I have a better chance of one day walking on the moon, than I do of ever getting Alan Page over to my house. That leaves Len and Dan Dierdorf. And while I know that Dan is still a possibility, I am just a couple of days away, from Len being a reality. Also, the way it stands as of right now, Len is my ONLY chance of getting a Hall of Fame / Super Bowl winning Quarterback over to my house. Unfortunately, all of the other HOF / SB Champion QB's are simply out of Jane's price range. If I do get him over, I will post pictures on FB for my FB friends from this thread. For those that are NOT on FB, I might Email a couple to someone to post for me. I am REALLY looking forward to this.
    Rocke >>

Great talking to you Saturday night, not many people get a chance to visit one on one with HOFers.
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Great photos Rocke - those HOF players are lucky to enjoy your hospitality.

I didn't see the Lyman either - just as well, I was focused on this page from an old autograph book that I was high bidder on last night in the Heritage Auction - they had a lot of nice old football material, but most of it went out of my range - this was not so bad

imageimage
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    cool pictures Rocke! How come you don't invite us to any of these weekends? image

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • GONEBATSGONEBATS Posts: 102
    Just won the Jim Thorpe autograph on Ebay at $747. Not a steal but I am happy to have a Thorpe in my collection for under 1K.
    I bid 700 on it. It's a beautiful auto. Congrats. Kinda glad I didn't win because I can't afford it. But not gonna let it go for under that. I'm glad someone here got it. The search continues for me.

BTW did do a quick opinion on it and it came back likely genuine

"In Al We Trust!"

That's a really nice Jim Thorpe example - and a great book too! Congratulations on adding that to your collection.
    Rev is the Thorpe on the back of the Williams on your album page? If so that's amazing!! But why does the holder only say Williams and not Thorpe too? Is the Thorpe certified as well.

"In Al We Trust!"

Yes it's on the back of the Ted Williams - maybe the buyer didn't want to pay for the Thorpe to be certified - I have no doubt it's authentic - I've seen many others just like it - but he obviously took more time to sign that book
    Yes I agree. That's definately his signature from that time frame. I have no doubt it's authentic too. Plus it's easy enough to find examples from that time with the date. And that's definately how he signed later in his life.

"In Al We Trust!"

• bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Nice pick up on the Thorpe. I just picked up a similar Thorpe album page, from the 1930's, for $800, but haven't received it yet.

Bart
    Thanks everyone for the congrats on the Thorpe purchase. I am a Goal Line Art collector and try to add the signatures of those players who could not have signed them, for under $1000. Whose autograph will be north of $1000? Thanks! This is a great thread. Do not want to be shunned, but I also collect signed H.O.F. baseball plaques both Black and white and yellow plaques. Addiction is a stong term, but if I have to have one, sports autograph collecting is the one to possess!

By the way I also did a PSA quick opinion and as I suspected it came back likely good.

Craig
  • Hey Craig
    Glad you won the Thorpe. It is not easy to get an ballpoint pen / fountaintip pen ink Thorpe autograph for under 1,000.00 GREAT Pick-up.
    As far as who will be 1,000.00 and above. In my opinion, there is a definite, distinct line between the BELOW 1,000.00 dollar autographs, and the autographs that are virtually impossible autographs that you can't get unless you spend OVER 1,000.00. Generally, in descending order of price, the list would read : 1) Hugh "Shorty" Ray , 2) Charles Bidwill , 3) Tim Mara , 4) Joe Carr , 5) Walt Kiesling , 6) Bill Hewitt , 7) Pete Henry , 8) Fritz Pollard , 9) Earl "Curly" Lambeau.
    Every other Hall of Famer, I Guarantee that you can get for UNDER 1,000.00. However, it is VIRTUALLY impossible to get ANY of the above nine for under 1,000.00 A year or so ago, A Joe Carr did slip through the cracks for about 850.00 but that was because the seller BADLY mis-labeled the item. I, ( and I am sure others ) now have that mistake on our Ebay "watch lists, so THAT won't happen again. The only one of these nine, that I could see dropping OFF of this list, is WHEN, NOT IF, more Bill Hewitt / Bert Bell checks see the light of day.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • I just got Bob St. Clair TTM today but I'm worried it may be stamped.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Frank,

pm sent

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

<< <i>The only one of these nine, that I could see dropping OFF of this list, is WHEN, NOT IF, more Bill Hewitt / Bert Bell checks see the light of day.
    Rocke >>

Are you holding out on us Rocke? Exactly how many of these checks is Rod sitting on? image

"In Al We Trust!"

• Hey Derrick, No, it's not ROD that's holding out. It's the person in Bert Bell's family that has all the checks, that's been putting them in the Huggins & Scott auctions for the last couple of years. Bill Huggins told me that there are a LOT more checks still to come, but he doesn't know what is left that has a rare signature on it....ie: like another Joe Carr, or Tim Mara plus the approx. 15 - 18 Hewitt chcks. Here's the thing. NFL players are paid by check for EACH game of the season. ALWAYS have been. Hewitt played THREE years for the Eagles. Each year they played eleven games. that's thirty three total, so thirty three game checks. So there will be more Hewitt checks to come. Bill told me, and I DO believe him, that he has no idea if there are any more Mara, Carr, or possibly Bidwill or Ray checks out of the many left to come, but I feel certain there will be more Hewitt's.
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    agree
    True but it'll also be a question of what condition they are in. what's been released have looked great....hope the test are too. and I'll call b.s. on them not knowing the rarer signatures. I'm sure Mr. Huggins offered to look at the checks (and maybe did). If Mr Bells family wanted to know they can easily find out. You can give them my number. I'll be glad to look!!!

"In Al We Trust!"

<< <i>Hey Derrick, No, it's not ROD that's holding out. It's the person in Bert Bell's family that has all the checks, that's been putting them in the Huggins & Scott auctions for the last couple of years. Bill Huggins told me that there are a LOT more checks still to come, but he doesn't know what is left that has a rare signature on it....ie: like another Joe Carr, or Tim Mara plus the approx. 15 - 18 Hewitt chcks. Here's the thing. NFL players are paid by check for EACH game of the season. ALWAYS have been. Hewitt played THREE years for the Eagles. Each year they played eleven games. that's thirty three total, so thirty three game checks. So there will be more Hewitt checks to come. Bill told me, and I DO believe him, that he has no idea if there are any more Mara, Carr, or possibly Bidwill or Ray checks out of the many left to come, but I feel certain there will be more Hewitt's. >>

I ended up buying 4 of the Hewitt checks and one Carr check from those that have been released - there seemed to be a brief flood, but haven't seen any of the above mentioned in a while. There probably are more Hewitt checks because my investment history is buy high sell low, so this would fit right in.
  • KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Rev,

My Jim Thorpe is from 1952 and from the same Sportsman's show. It's on the back of the ticket stub for the show. 100% authentic and a great pickup!

Ken

• << <i>True but it'll also be a question of what condition they are in. what's been released have looked great....hope the test are too. and I'll call b.s. on them not knowing the rarer signatures. I'm sure Mr. Huggins offered to look at the checks (and maybe did). If Mr Bells family wanted to know they can easily find out. You can give them my number. I'll be glad to look!!! >>

Derrick, don't misunderstand. I am sure that Bill would LOVE to see what's left. But the way he made it sound to me, is that someone, let's just call him Bert Bell Jr. ( BBJR ) occasionaly shows up in Maryland with different lots of checks. BBJR is no idiot. He knows what's worth the big bucks. He has been telling Bill how they are to be divided up in lots. Let's just pretend there are TEN Mara checks. In my opinion, the best way to maximize the price is to release ONE every 2 or 3 years. don't flood the market all at once. Look at the SMART way that Rich Albersheim is selling Al Davis checks, compared to the way that whoever the nincompoop (sp) is that sold the Henry Jordan checks. BBJR knows what he has, and is doing it slowly. Bill told me that he doesn't know what the other GEMS that BBJR has, because he hasn't seen the entire lot. If he DID see the entire lot, Bill would know what the gems are. BUT, I DO BELIEVE him when he told me that he hasn't seen everything. He has just been selling what has been brought to him.
    Rocke

Thanks Ed, for posting my Len Dawson pictures. Had an absolute BLAST with him.
    If anyone is interested, I have a Pittsburgh Steelers signed 1964 Philadelphia card, signed by Buddy Parker, currently up on eBay. Feel free to make an offer. Card originates from Curt Boster, who is in charge of the Columbus Touchdown Club, Jack Lambert's agent and was a former intern with the NFL.

Bart
  • wju2004wju2004 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Hey guys. Pretty new around here, though far from being new to collecting NFL HOF Autographs. I do actually know one guy here, but obviously pretty much brand new to the rest of you. I can't even imagine going back and reading everything I've missed, but seen some things I could only dream of having at this point.

Most of my stuff, as of yet, is not PSA/DNA certified, but mostly pack pulled other than a few things, though looking at possibly starting to fill some gaps with psa/dna items. I am up to 235, though, so doing pretty well, just wouldn't mind being able to hit 250 in a reasonable amount of time. I still much favor signed cards over index cards, though am not opposed to index cards at all. And my full preference still goes to pack pulled items, but definitely see the merit in PSA/DNA stuff more and more.

Figured I'd share with you guys my two main folders in my PC for my NFL HOF Autograph collection, thus far. As well as my speculation folder, where I try and snag people I think might someday make it, or at least have an outside shot. (Plus I'll link my website I used to keep track...incase anyone has someone I need...at a reasonable price. lol)

NFL HOF Autograph Collection

NFL Future HOF Autograph Collection

My Very Plain Website

If me posting these is against any rules or whatever, just let me know and I'll take them down, but figured I'd show you guys where I'm at right now. (And yes...I am the one that bought the Reeves from raidersguy10. lol)
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Very nice collection wju! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Mark
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    WJU2004,
    You have a very nice collection. Welcome to the forum.

Ed

<< <i>Hey guys. Pretty new around here, though far from being new to collecting NFL HOF Autographs. I do actually know one guy here, but obviously pretty much brand new to the rest of you. I can't even imagine going back and reading everything I've missed, but seen some things I could only dream of having at this point.

Most of my stuff, as of yet, is not PSA/DNA certified, but mostly pack pulled other than a few things, though looking at possibly starting to fill some gaps with psa/dna items. I am up to 235, though, so doing pretty well, just wouldn't mind being able to hit 250 in a reasonable amount of time. I still much favor signed cards over index cards, though am not opposed to index cards at all. And my full preference still goes to pack pulled items, but definitely see the merit in PSA/DNA stuff more and more.

Figured I'd share with you guys my two main folders in my PC for my NFL HOF Autograph collection, thus far. As well as my speculation folder, where I try and snag people I think might someday make it, or at least have an outside shot. (Plus I'll link my website I used to keep track...incase anyone has someone I need...at a reasonable price. lol)

My Very Plain Website

If me posting these is against any rules or whatever, just let me know and I'll take them down, but figured I'd show you guys where I'm at right now. (And yes...I am the one that bought the Reeves from raidersguy10. lol) >>

I knew I'd get you to change your ways eventually. Everyone sees the light at some point!!!

"In Al We Trust!"

OK guys I know this was discussed a little earlier, but I believe it had to do with who was most expensive – or who was hardest to get on a card for the registry. What would you consider the top 10 hardest (notice not most expensive – which I believe pushes Thorpe way down because while he is expensive I don’t believe he is hard to find) autographs on any medium to be? If I were to do it, I’d use this as my top 10:

1) Shorty Ray – duh
    2) Bidwill Sr
    3) Mara Sr
    4) Joe Carr
    5) Hewitt (at least for now – I’m hoping Rocke is right though)
    6) Kiesling
    7) Pollard
    8) Henry
    9) Marshall
    10) Reeves

Hard to leave Lambeau off, but I’ve seen more of his come up than I have Reeves. Also hard to see a top 10 without Thorpe on there, but like I said he isn’t hard to find – just hard on the wallet. But after about 4 years of watching closely, I’d say that’s my order based on what I’ve seen come up in those 4 years. It was also hard to leave Owen off, but I think the guys above are harder to come across. Those would be 11 and 12 on my list though I'd say.

"In Al We Trust!"

I would agree with that list, especially since I don't have the top two. I do have an extra Hewitt as mentioned below which I would sell for $950 - I may put it up on eBay but I'd probably start at $850 and have a BIN of $1,200

• << <i>OK guys I know this was discussed a little earlier, but I believe it had to do with who was most expensive – or who was hardest to get on a card for the registry. What would you consider the top 10 hardest (notice not most expensive – which I believe pushes Thorpe way down because while he is expensive I don’t believe he is hard to find) autographs on any medium to be? If I were to do it, I’d use this as my top 10:

1) Shorty Ray – duh
    2) Bidwill Sr
    3) Mara Sr
    4) Joe Carr
    5) Hewitt (at least for now – I’m hoping Rocke is right though)
    6) Kiesling
    7) Pollard
    8) Henry
    9) Marshall
    10) Reeves

Hey Derrick, I agree with the list but NOT the order. I would take Hewitt out of the #5 spot, move Kiesling, Pollard, and Henry up one spot each, and put Hewitt in at #8. Even BEFORE any of the Bert Bell/ Bill Hewitt checks came out, Rod and I both agreed that Kiesling was tougher than Hewitt, and we even agreed that we had each seen MORE Joe Carr's than we had seen Kiesling's. REMINDER: This is BEFORE ANY Hewitt checks had come out. Rod has sold FIVE Bill hewitt's in the last three years, and not ONE of them was a check. Agree about Thorpe, Rod and I don't even have Thorpe in the TOP 24 TOUGHEST.
    Rocke

Hard to leave Lambeau off, but I’ve seen more of his come up than I have Reeves. Also hard to see a top 10 without Thorpe on there, but like I said he isn’t hard to find – just hard on the wallet. But after about 4 years of watching closely, I’d say that’s my order based on what I’ve seen come up in those 4 years. It was also hard to leave Owen off, but I think the guys above are harder to come across. Those would be 11 and 12 on my list though I'd say. >>

• Not sure why my response is in Italics, and also in the middle of your post. Must be a " Ghost in the Machine "
    Police reference.
    Rocke
    Yeah I could see that. I have seen about 6 Kieslings in the 4 years I've been watching, and only 1 Carr. But I didn't know about half the mediums to find them that I do now. But I could see moving them all up one and moving Hewitt down too. I kind of think the top 3 are set in stone, and 4-8 are a horse a piece. Like a pick your poison type of feeling.

"In Al We Trust!"

• cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Couple of recent pickups.

Edward Harris "Ted" Coy - Yale fullback 1907-09 and inaugural member of the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951. Was also featured on the 1955 Topps All-American football set. Died 1935.

William H. Lewis - Harvard center 1888-93. Was the first African-American selected to an All-American team (1892 and 1893). Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2009. Died 1949

All the best

Mark
    great finds Mark!

Just to add my thoughts on the list above. I agree with 1-4, I feel 5. should be Pollard 6. Henry 7. Hewitt 8. Hewitt 9. Marshall 10. Reeves

I have seen maybe 5 Fritz Pollard autographs through the years and a few more Henry signatures so I feel they should be ahead of the rest.

On a side note, I have been doing a lot of work to my web site. I am adding individual pages for players and have started with the players that for years have had either no information or incorrect information published in various places. A few names like: John 'King' Cole, Jay T. Berquist, Alex Bobidosh, Sidney Gepford, Richard 'Dutch' Vick, George 'Babe' Ruetz, Vincent S. Shekleton, Walter Le Jean and many more are now listed. If you click on their name in the year they died, the page will pop up.

It is a work in progress. I have about 50 or so done and doing more all the time.

I also did some work with the vintage photo section where people can post some pictures. If you go to the GALLERY, click on one of the ALBUMS, and watch it using the 'view as slideshow' - you will see and hear some great pictures and music.

Let me know what you think since I always value the opinions of our group.

Jim

OldestLivingProFootball.com

Anyone out there will to rank the next 10 hardest to obtain. 11-20? Thanks this site is awesome!
    If anyone is interested the movie, Knute Rockne - All American is on TCM on Saturday at 6:15PM. It is a great one!

• << <i>Anyone out there will to rank the next 10 hardest to obtain. 11-20? Thanks this site is awesome! >>

Craig, I think I posted a list a few years ago. Rod and I spent a number of hours going over every possible Hall of Famer that might be in the "TOUGH" category. Here is the list we put together, BUT, this was done BEFORE the Bill Hewitt checks came out, and BEFORE any of the Henry Jordan checks came out. We did an "updated" list more recently, but I have misplaced it. If/when I find it, I will re-post what, in our opinion, were the TOP 24 toughest. I have not got my "basement" 1/2 of my basement/Rec-Room back in order yet, since I had a water damage, mini flood about a year ago. Anyway, here is our first list from a few years ago.
    1) Hugh Ray
    2) Charles Bidwill
    3) Tim Mara
    4) Joe Carr
    5) Bill Hewitt
    6) Walt Kiesling
    7) Pete Henry
    8) Fritz Pollard
    9) Curly Lambeau
    10) Dan Reeves
    11) Steve Owen
    12) Len Ford
    13) George P. Marshall
    14) Guy Chamberlin
    15) Henry Jordan
    16) "Paddy" Driscoll
    17) Jim Finks
    18) John McNally
    19) Arnie Herber
    20) "Turk" Edwards
    21) Joe Guyon
    22) Benny Friedman
    23) "Greasy" Neale
    24) Jim Thorpe

As I said, We did THIS list approx. 5 years ago, but I can't find right now, the list we did about 1 year ago. And as I said, there were some changes. We spent MANY hours on the list. Taking into account, How old was he upon death, What year did he die, did he die before or after he was elected to the Hall, If he died after election, how many months after election, Was he a PLAYER, or a FRONT OFFICE person. We added Tuffy Leemans to the list, and took Jim Thorpe off the list. as I said, when I find it, I will post it.
    Rocke
  • Thanks Rocke,
    I "won" a Tuffy Leeman on Ebay for $206.38 Wonder if a thread members were bidding and also if a thread member won the Norm Van Brocklin I was outbid. I guess the sellers on Ebay must love the members of this Site as we must Bid Up the Ebay prices. I guess there is no way around it Thanks for the list again Rocke. Sorry to hear about the water damage, your memorbillia room is spectacular!

Craig
  • I don't know where this started, but about three, maybe four years ago, someone, ( Greg ? ) listed, and wanted some others to list their TOP TEN WANT LIST. Wish I could find mine, to see what I have picked up since my original post of my TOP TEN. Well, one that I know I had on my list, is now in my possession. Of course, I don't know how to post pictures, but if you get on Ebay and type in item # 120895024059. I bought it off Ebay, directly from the seller. Was not cheap, but, I HAD to have it. First authentic Fleming I have ever seen. I know that there is another on Ebay for 1,250.00, but the seller does NOT think that signature is authentic. I am no expert on Fleming sigs. , but this seller is. His Browns collection is ENORMOUS. Both the Len Ford Browns contract that I have in MY collection, and the Len Ford contract that Rod has in HIS collection BOTH came from this seller. He is a TRUE EXPERT in Cleveland Browns memorabilia. If you don't know the Don Fleming story, take a couple of minutes, google his name with Cleveland Browns, and read his story. I am THRILLED to have made this addition to my collection.
    Rocke
  • HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 304 ✭✭
    I just posted a Benny Friedman signed 3x5 for sale on the B/S/T page, thanks, Tim

<< <i>Thanks Rocke,
    I "won" a Tuffy Leeman on Ebay for $206.38 Wonder if a thread members were bidding and also if a thread member won the Norm Van Brocklin I was outbid. I guess the sellers on Ebay must love the members of this Site as we must Bid Up the Ebay prices. I guess there is no way around it Thanks for the list again Rocke. Sorry to hear about the water damage, your memorbillia room is spectacular!

Craig >>

Ah, so you're the one that snagged the Tuffy, huh? I was actually the second highest bidder on that one. And I was the one that took the Norm. Looks like we bid against one another on the two cards and probably drove each other up a bit more than we needed to. lol. As you said, hard to ask people to hold back on a card because there may be others that will not. Glad to see it wasn't shilled and that it is going to a fellow collector.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Guys,

I'm down to 14 cards to complete my NFL HOF signed rc collection. Please let me know if you can help me track down any of these. Shannon Sharpe should be easy enough to obtain (he doesn't sign at very many events) and the Pihos and Van Buren have been tougher to track down than I would have expected. Of the remaining cards, the 1933 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe and 1935 National Chicles will be nearly imossible to find. I know of a handful of 35 Chicles that exist in the hobby - although I haven't gotten my greasy mitts on one yet.

I find it ironic that most HOFers on the list below (minus Thorpe, Millner and Stydahar) aren't that difficult to find a signature of.

Cliff Battles 1935 National Chicle
    Dutch Clark 1935 National Chicle
    Turk Edwards 1935 National Chicle
    Benny Friedman 1955 Topps AA
    Clarke Hinkle 1935 National Chicle
    Wayne Millner 1952 Bowman Small / Large
    Bronko Nagurski 1935 National Chicle
    Pete Pihos 1948 Bowman
    Shannon Sharpe 1990 Action Packed Update
    Ken Strong 1935 National Chicle
    Joe Stydahar 1952 Bowman Small / Large
    Jim Thorpe 1933 Sports Kings
    Steve Van Buren 1948 Leaf
    Bob Waterfield 1948 Leaf

Thanks guys,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys. Pretty new around here, though far from being new to collecting NFL HOF Autographs. I do actually know one guy here, but obviously pretty much brand new to the rest of you. I can't even imagine going back and reading everything I've missed, but seen some things I could only dream of having at this point.

My Very Plain Website

If me posting these is against any rules or whatever, just let me know and I'll take them down, but figured I'd show you guys where I'm at right now. (And yes...I am the one that bought the Reeves from raidersguy10. lol) >>

Welcome to the PSA boards!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.

• << <i>Just to add my thoughts on the list above. I agree with 1-4, I feel 5. should be Pollard 6. Henry 7. Hewitt 8. Hewitt 9. Marshall 10. Reeves

I have seen maybe 5 Fritz Pollard autographs through the years and a few more Henry signatures so I feel they should be ahead of the rest.

On a side note, I have been doing a lot of work to my web site. I am adding individual pages for players and have started with the players that for years have had either no information or incorrect information published in various places. A few names like: John 'King' Cole, Jay T. Berquist, Alex Bobidosh, Sidney Gepford, Richard 'Dutch' Vick, George 'Babe' Ruetz, Vincent S. Shekleton, Walter Le Jean and many more are now listed. If you click on their name in the year they died, the page will pop up.

It is a work in progress. I have about 50 or so done and doing more all the time.

I also did some work with the vintage photo section where people can post some pictures. If you go to the GALLERY, click on one of the ALBUMS, and watch it using the 'view as slideshow' - you will see and hear some great pictures and music.

Let me know what you think since I always value the opinions of our group.

Jim

OldestLivingProFootball.com >>

Hey Jim,
    You have Hewitt listed at 7 AND 8. I am guessing that you meant one to be Hewitt, and one to be Kiesling. Jim, Just my opinion, but I just could not agree with you that Pollard is more difficult than Kiesling to find. My friend Rod Winzinek, another Canton collector Bob Johnson, myself, and fellow collectors, and members of this thread, Rev. Mike, Reese, and Joe ( JMDVM ) ALL got their Pollard's BEFORE they got their Kiesling's. In fact, Joe and Reese are still waiting on their Kiesling's. Not that I have seen boatloads of Kiesling's, but in the last 7-8 years, I know I have seen at LEAST 12-15 Pollard's. I know an Ebay dealer that had SEVEN himself. As far as I know, he has sold only one. He still has the others as far as I know. Fritz bought like seven gravesites. Had to sign a separate contract for each plot. Somebody got the contracts and sold them to an Ebay dealer. I have seen them on Ebay , HuntAuctions , Huggins & Scott, RRAuction, and others. The only person, with an advanced collection, that I am PERSONALLY aware of, that got a Kiesling BEFORE a Pollard, is my friend Camille ( CowboysJunkie1972 )
    I would like to hear from, Ed Wolfe, Bart ( BDBOP ), Bill (ZaxDad) , and anyone else that collects autos on ANY medium, that has a Kiesling AND/OR a Pollard, and let us know which one you have, and which one you got FIRST. But, just to be sure from Ed, I know you have multiple Kiesling's, but have been looking for a Pollard with the same enthusiasm as you have looked for Kiesling? Or, years ago, were you looking for Kiesling because of association with the Packers, but not really looking that hard for a Pollard? Just wondering.
    I got a W Kiesling first ( the one Kevin Keating currently has on an album page...back side are several Sigs, including a full Eugene Lipscomb). I think I then picked up a Pollard, pre HOF ( the guy had a few of them). Then, I think I picked up a Walter Kiesling album page, in an Albersheim 's auction, and lastly a vintage Pollard GPC, from the 1940's, from an R&R lot.

Bart
    I don't have either yet, but like I mentioned I've seen more Kiesling than Pollards. But I do think Kiesling is harder to find than Pollard if that makes sense. I think because Pollard is the newer member of the 2 that people who collect HOF autos have them in their PCs now. WIth Kiesling, someone's father who collected autos maybe passed away and the heirs put some of those types of Kieslings up. I just think that because he's a newer member that Pollard is the one that seems to be harder to find than he actually is (if any of that made sense).

Hopefully I don't offend anyone by posting this, but have you all seen the Thrope cut/large GU jersey available? This card is unreal...

Jim Thorpe Cut/GU Auto

"In Al We Trust!"

<< <i>I don't have either yet, but like I mentioned I've seen more Kiesling than Pollards. But I do think Kiesling is harder to find than Pollard if that makes sense. I think because Pollard is the newer member of the 2 that people who collect HOF autos have them in their PCs now. WIth Kiesling, someone's father who collected autos maybe passed away and the heirs put some of those types of Kieslings up. I just think that because he's a newer member that Pollard is the one that seems to be harder to find than he actually is (if any of that made sense).

Hopefully I don't offend anyone by posting this, but have you all seen the Thrope cut/large GU jersey available? This card is unreal...

Jim Thorpe Cut/GU Auto >>

Yeah, don't have either yet, but then again, I am just getting into the PSA/DNA territory and still have quite a few that are out there.

If anyone might be able to help me get an idea on reasonable prices for those that I have left, I would appreciate it. I really have no clue on some of them. I do see a few on ebay with a BIN/OBO, but otherwise that's about it and really with my semi-limited budget, gotta save as much as I can. I'm sure it's a bit of privy info, but even if you can PM me or something, I'd love you long time. Hahaha.

Anyhow, I saw that Thorpe when it first went up for sale. I almost hit the BIN of $3000 (only because I had the savings to do it then), but held off and now looks like the place that did is reselling it.