Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out this artilce Luckman auto but I'd be leary of that one. BTW ukredskins has a nice Tim Mara (TJ Mara) signed Giants team card up for sale. >>

Can you link it Rev? I'd love to see it. Is it the grandson or did he try to poss off the Sr?
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I will post a link tomorrow - it's on my email at work - he represented it as the patriarch, not the grandson.

<< <i>I will post a link tomorrow - it's on my email at work - he represented it as the patriarch, not the grandson. >>

Found it. Forgot he wasn't on ebay any more. Definately the elder he tried passing it off. But at $800 that'd have been a steal!

"Mara" Auto

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt

<< <i>

<< <i>I will post a link tomorrow - it's on my email at work - he represented it as the patriarch, not the grandson. >>

Found it. Forgot he wasn't on ebay any more. Definately the elder he tried passing it off. But at $800 that'd have been a steal!

"Mara" Auto >>

That looks familiar- why would he sign a card TJ? - that's what he used on a legal document for my father - a letter of reference

<< <i>

<< <i>

"Mara" Auto >>

That looks familiar- why would he sign a card TJ? - that's what he used on a legal document for my father - a letter of reference

image >>

It's probably how the signature he copied was signed. O had been real because the card was small. I've seen another letterhead that was TJ as well. I'm guessing that was the exemplar he copied.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info on the Luckman. I think I'll pass on it and wait for a PSA/DNA example even though it may take some time to hunt down.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • If You are bidding on Ebay`s Earle "Greasy" Neale/ BEWARE, I just got a thumbs down from PSA Quick Opinion!!

Craig

• << <i>If You are bidding on Ebay`s Earle "Greasy" Neale/ BEWARE, I just got a thumbs down from PSA Quick Opinion!!

Craig >>

Craig, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I DID already put a bid ( well actually THREE ) with my top bid of 45.99, but I was going to put another one in at the end. Again, THANK YOU.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Rocky,
    It was just pulled from Ebay, the bad stuff never stops coming. My pleasure to help
    This auction is still active - was this it? Neale
  • Well, I see it's till active, and that's the one that I have three bids on.
    what's going on ???
    Craig ????
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • PSA gave me likely no good evaluation. I thought Ebay was going to end the auction. They didnt!

Dear CRAIG MURDEN,

Your Request for Item "Earle "Greasy" Neale signed index card!", eBay Lot No. "260995006737", opinion was rendered at "4/7/2012 8:31:56 PM" and the result was:

Response: "Likely Not Genuine"

Here are the details of your Request:

Comments:
    Request ID: 85268
    Request By: 04/08/2012

Thank you choosing the QuickOpinion service!

Craig
  • WOW !!! I have to admit, I thought it was Ebay policy to end an auction that PSA said was likely not genuine, that the seller was selling as being authentic. maybe they don't, but I think they SHOULD.
    Rocke
  • Seems like a pretty eclectic list of other items the seller has for bid. Too eclectic to try and slip one by on purpose anyway. Strange there's only a couple sports autos in all of that .
    Also looks like at some time the IC had been matted out & probably framed , so at some point maybe even the collector who consigned ( or sold ) his collection to the seller believed it was real. Pure conjecture , of course.
    That being said, I don't like it so much. Specifically the " E" in Greasy and, oddly enough, the fluidity. If someone here wins it I look forward to what JSA/PSA have to say !
    Hope everyone enjoyed a nice Easter !
  • I believe the dealer is legit., the Neale autograph may be good , when in doubt, I pass. PSA QP says no good, dealer took 3 days to tell me that it is good and he can show me it was auth, although coconuts says auth`s are worthless, about 10 minutes before the close of the auction. Buyer beware!
    This book once belonged to Steve Owen and has a nice inscription from Neale inside - a good example

• Now THAT one looks better ! Somebody is giddy with glee after spending 67$ on that ebay Neale. I truly hope it works out for them......and they try to certify it and not have it recirculate back around . I did read the sellers feedback - one buyer has serious contention with him. Why keep buying?
    ps- Nice book Rev !
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Hope everyone had a nice Easter Sunday. I picked up a pretty cool football item I'd like to share with all of you - the student scrapbook of Thomas Truxtun Hare. Hare was a 4x All-American guard for Penn from 1897-1900 and a charter member of the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951. Hare is on numerous All-Time All-American football teams.

This scrapbook was from Hare's high school days at St. Marks in Southboro, MA. Just a wonderful collection of original sports photographs of Hare and his teammates along with numerous vintage autographs. Here are some of the highlights:

Nice photo of Hare in football uniform. He printed his name below the photo

Nice vintage signature on a sports program

Baseball photo of Hare signed by him below

Hare was also an accomplished painter and author. Here is a beautiful hand-drawn self portrait

Thanks for letting me share. All the best!

Mark
    Holy crap - that scrapbook is AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing it!!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Mark- Where do you find this stuff??
    Those are some amazing and unique pieces. Congrats!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    That's great stuff Mark - museum quality! Love the melon football. I bought a Yale album from that era last year - it had great photos but no autographs - still working on breaking it down and trying to get the old photos to flatten out.

McClung was later appointed Treasurer of the United States by Taft - I need to find a dollar bill signed by him.
    Those are some great Yale photos Mike. I love that shot of Hinkey in the bottom left of the 1891 varsity team photo.

I sold my last Mcclung signed note yesterday! Try Heritage Auctions, they had a bunch several years ago. They are called "courtesy autographs".

Glad you guys like the Hare scrapbook.

I have a question about Eddie Anderson, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach. His autograph is for sale on eBay Anderson Autograph for $650. I have an 3x5 with him - mostly because he played in the NFL 1922 - 1925, but I never gave it that value - what do others think? Is he that hard to find?
    I value Eddie Anderson at about $200. He isn't that tough to find.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    sub popped yesterday but a little confused about item #4

1 1 19661795 NEAR MINT 7 1989 PRO SET ANNOUNCER INSERTS 10 STEVE SABOL PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card
    2 1 19661796 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1991 PRO SET 690 NFL NEWSREEL PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card
    3 1 19661797 MINT 9 1990 PRO SET THEME ART 4 SUPER BOWL IV PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card
    4 1 19661798 N9: NOT GRADED 1957 TOPPS 15 JACK BUTLER Card
    5 1 19661799 MINT 9 1992 PRO LINE PROFILES AUTOGRAPHS 9 CHRIS DOLEMAN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card

So did it not pass autograph certification or has it been deemed ungradable due to a size issue. N9 is for cards they dont grade, well they grade 57 Topps Football. I dont recall the card being that much larger than normal cards. If it passed on the auto why not give it an authentic grade for the card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Hi Jay. I bet the card may have been trimmed or re-colored. Altered in some way. I'll assume since the other cards in the submission received number cards, that's what you wanted on the Butler card. They won't give it an Authentic grade unless you specified it and even than, I believe it would have to be on a separate submission form.
    I have a question that kind of relates along these lines. I am submitting about 20 cards through John's group submission, but I've never done the red flip grading with PSA/DNA certification before. Most of the cards I got were TTM - and were banged up somewhat during all the shipping that took place. I have the option of doing either 'authentic' or having them assign a grade to the cards. Am I better off having the card graded as well, or just doing the 'authentic' label if most cards would probably grade around a '6' or so?

"In Al We Trust!"

• raiderguy- It really depends on the age of the cards. My rule of thumb is, if they are newer cards (1980 and up) and the card will grade less than a 7, get an "Authentic" grade. On older cards, unless the card is totally beat up/or missing a piece, getting a number grade is the better option.
  • Well, I am the VERY disappointed underbidder for the 2011 TRI-STAR OBAK Benny Friedman cut autograph 1 / 1 card. My top bid was 394.99 and the lucky winner got it for 399.99. Darn, REALLY would have liked to have won that one. Did anybody here get it ?
    Rockeimage

<< <i>Well, I am the VERY disappointed underbidder for the 2011 TRI-STAR OBAK Benny Friedman cut autograph 1 / 1 card. My top bid was 394.99 and the lucky winner got it for 399.99. Darn, REALLY would have liked to have won that one. Did anybody here get it ?
    Rockeimage >>

I may be in the Minority Rocke, but I think you should be glad you were the underbidder. $400 for that card seems like a lot. Part of the sig was cutoff and it was a Tristar card; so correct me if I'm wrong but that couldn't qualify for the set registry - right? I think you were lucky to be the underbidder, but again that's just my personal opinion.

"In Al We Trust!"

Some of you might enjoy seeing this -
    You guys remember the auto album I had a couple pages ago? Well, I worked out a trade and was able to obtain this Turk Edwards in exchange for the rest of the album minue the Owen and one of the 2 Tunnell signatures. It's bold and beautiful - should easily grade at least a 9.

So I'm in $1,200 for an '8' Owen and a '9' or possibly a '10' Edwards auto. A little steeper than I wanted to spend on the 2 autos, but happy with the quality of them. Someday when I'm rich and famous they will both be off to Knuckles to make them more presentable.

"In Al We Trust!"

And more importantly, this Edwards puts me into the top 15 remaining as well image. Hoping to knock off 1 a year from here on out

"In Al We Trust!"

• << <i>Some of you might enjoy seeing this -
    image >>

And I know someone, besides you, who would enjoy owning it !!!!!image

Not sure what happened with this. I kinda feel bad....almost like I stole it at that price

Ken strong check

"In Al We Trust!"

That was a great price - and a nice example of Ken Strong auto -

I picked up this one tonight - not my usual item, but I've collected the 1936 and 1937 Standard Oil of Nebraska booklets on Cornhusker football and Bible is in there with Link Lyman and Ed Weir

Some great pickups. Congrats guys. That Lummus letter is fantastic Mike!
  • Dermontti Dawson last week. I just sent out to a Hall of Famer a few days ago and one today. I hope to get something back.
    I recently purchased the personal high school and college scrapbooks of Neil Snow. Neil Snow was a hall of fame college football player who played for the University of Michigan from 1898-1901. He was the MVP of the first Rose Bowl in 1902. Snow died in 1914 making his signature the most difficult of all Michigan players. I've just gotten around to sorting out some of the letters and would like to share a couple.

Here is a handwritten letter by Snow to a Brewing Co. The letter is actually pretty funny...a college guy trying to get a case of beer for his buddies! Bring back memories??

This is a baseball recruiting letter to Snow from Frank Selee. I know it is a sin to post baseball autographs here, but this guy is a bb hofer who died in 1909. There are very few known signatures of him to exist.

All for now.

Cheers!
    As the resident clergy, I grant you a plenary indulgence for all baseball autographs you might have posted or will post in the future - it's always fun to learn and to see what you come up with - amazing
    Thanks Mike...I feel like a burden is now lifted from my shoulders.

Here is the return letter from the brewing company...looks like their plea worked!

Mark
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    truly amazing items Mark! I am glad there is someone out there doing the work of finding this stuff before they become lost forever.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • I'm just blown away by these documents. How do you find this stuff??
    Thanks guys. No secret on how i find these items frank. I pay a premium for pre 1920 college scrapbooks. most of the time they are full of junk, but every now and then you find a gem.
  • Added Jim Plunkett and Marcus Allen to my Heisman Helmet about 3 hours ago. Jim has a autograph that is a beauty and Allen is Mr. Scribble. Numbers 20 and 21. I have Jay Berwanger and Larry Kelly, Glen Davis, John Lattner,Dick Kazmaier. Howard Cassady, Crow,Cannon and Hornung for the pre 1960 winners. A fun but expensive project!
  • Hello All,
    Got to drive around former Ohio State Linebacker Randy Gradishar a few weeks ago. Posted a couple of pictures on Facebook. This Saturday, I will be picking up Kansas City Chief Hall of Famer, ( and Alliance, Ohio ) native, Len Dawson. I have had the THRILL od having TEN Hall of Famers over to my house, plus a number of non-Hall of Famers. Every one has been VERY special to me in one way or another. But, there is no denying that I am ESPECIALLY excited about the possibility of getting Len over to my house. First and foremost, There are five Hall of Famers that played High School football here in Stark County, where I live, and where the Hall is located. Marion Motley and Paul Brown have passed away. I have a better chance of one day walking on the moon, than I do of ever getting Alan Page over to my house. That leaves Len and Dan Dierdorf. And while I know that Dan is still a possibility, I am just a couple of days away, from Len being a reality. Also, the way it stands as of right now, Len is my ONLY chance of getting a Hall of Fame / Super Bowl winning Quarterback over to my house. Unfortunately, all of the other HOF / SB Champion QB's are simply out of Jane's price range. If I do get him over, I will post pictures on FB for my FB friends from this thread. For those that are NOT on FB, I might Email a couple to someone to post for me. I am REALLY looking forward to this.
    Rocke
    That sounds great Rocke! You are very fortunate to have such an opportunity. Look forward to seeing the pics.
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi All,

Here are the photos from Rocke's meeting with HOF Len Dawson. Cool Stuff.

Ed

• 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    nice thread, took three and a half days to read it all