Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• << <i>Rocke, Got my HOF credential so I'll be seeing you in Canton. I'm ready for some ribs.... >>

Joe, hope that you are still coming even though the games been canceled.
    Lucky for you, Old Carolina has NOT cancelled, and WILL still be selling ribs !!!!
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Here is one of my better pickups over the last several years. Best I can tell, it's a training camp photo of the 1935 Detroit Lions signed by the entire championship team on the reverse.

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Wow! Very impressive pick up! Congrats!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    I recently picked up this program. Could anyone give me a ballpark value on it? I'm familair with the football players, but not so much anyone else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is signed by the following:

Len Ford- Cleveland Browns HOF
    Jim Crowley-Left Halfback, Four Horsemen of Notre Dame
    Harry Stuhldreher-QB, Four Horsemen of Notre Dame
    Don Miller-Right Halfback, Four Horsemen of Notre Dame
    Karl Spooner-Pitcher, Brooklyn Dogers
    Ken Coleman- Voice of Cleveland Browns
    Johnnie Antonelli-Pitcher, New York Giants
    Mike Garcia-Pitcher, Cleveland Indians
    James J Jim Braddock-World Heavyweight Champion
    Harry Markson-Managing Director International Boxing Club

Front:

Back:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • The above items are both Outstanding pieces !!
    CF , Reese - which garage sales do you guys go to ??!image
    Very nice.

Six days and counting 'til Induction.....
    And then the countdown to Senior Committee noms..

PS - CF, Did Glenn Pressnell sign the Lions photo twice?
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Spooner (part of the World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers) would go for about $150 on an index card and Garcia for about $35. Coleman for probably around $10-$15 and Braddock around $175.

• << <i>Spooner (part of the World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers) would go for about $150 on an index card and Garcia for about $35. Coleman for probably around $10-$15 and Braddock around $175. >>

Hey Bart, are yopu planning on coming up to Canton at all for HoF weekend. Big show going on at Belden Village Mall. As of now, Sam Huff, Gale Sayers, Bobby Mitchell, Leroy Kelly, Lem Barney, Larry Little and Paul Krause will be in the Mall signing. I will be set-up at a table. If you come up, could you bring the Lambeau letter. I have NINE pieces of paper to give you in exchange for it.

Will anyone else be here for HOF weekend? I know that Joe ( JMDVM ) will be here. Anyone else ??????
    If so, make sure you get out to Belden Village Mall on Everhard Road...Exit # 109 off of Interstate 77.
    Also, besides the Hall of Famers mentioned above, there are about 16 more signing at The Holiday Inn across the street.
    Should be another GREAT Hall of Fame weekend coming up.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Pup - Yea, Presnell signed the piece twice. We shop at the best garage sale online - ebay!

Reese - Great pickup! I saw that piece on ebay, the BIN was a steal. I'm most familiar with the four horsemen - Crowley sells for $125, Stuhldreher $200 and Miller $600.

Anyone going to the National this week??
    I'll be at National on Friday and Saturday.

Bart
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Those prices on the Four Horsemen seem right, although I did pay a little more for this Stuhldreher piece primarly because he mentions Ed Weir and Doug Wycoff as among the best players in his experience. That Lions photo is teriffic, and to have the autographs on the back is just icing on the cake - both items are really great pickups, congrats!

• wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I am going to the National on Thursday.

Ed
  • Mark and Reese,
    NICE pick-ups from both of you. Sometimes I wish I could see all the different things that are on everyone's Ebay " watch " list. I must be looking for the wrong things !!!
    Because I have to work Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs. in order to have off for HOF weekend, I unfortunately will not be going to Chicago.
    Just talked to Rod on the phone, He will be there Wed. and Thursday, as will another friend of mine who I think Ed knows, Bill Heinen from Sheboygan. Bill also has an AMAZING collection, including a Bill Hewitt signed Chicago Bears 8 x 10, and a Jim Thorpe signed football.
    Have Fun.
    Rocke
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    alright guys, let have the official NFL HOF autograph set who's going to the national and when list.

i will be there Friday, during the day. i would love to meet up with any of you that will be there that day.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    I'll be there on Thursday and Saturday
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Will be there Friday and Saturday.

Bart

If you need a cell number, just message me.
    Hi Guys,

Went to the National in Chicago today. Wanted to share one item that I found. November 24, 1947 signed letter by Greasy Neale with great football content on Philadelphia Eagles letterhead.

Ed

• Ed,
    Quite simply, that is one AWESOME item.
    Rocke
    Really great Neale, Ed - and great letterhead too! What do you think the phrase at the bottom of the letter means: East-West Sporting Club
  • "East-West Sporting Club" was the Syndicate, owned largely by Alex Thompson, that owned the Eagles at that time.

In 1940, in a complicated deal, Art Rooney sold the Pittsburgh Steelers (maybe they were still the Pirates then) to the East-West Sporting Club fronted by Thompson. Rooney then purchased one-half of the Eagles from Bert Bell. The teams swapped some players and the Steelers' coach was to go to Philadelphia and "Greasy" Neale was to become the Pittsburgh coach. The plan was for the East-West Sporting Club to move the Pittsburgh team to the northeast (Boston or New York, maybe) and the Eagles would become the Keystoners and play half their home games in Philadelphia and half in Pittsburgh. After the East-West Sporting Club balked at moving and decided to stay in Pittsburgh, Rooney could not stand the idea of playing against a team in Pittsburgh. So, he offered a swap: he and Bell would take over the Pittsburgh franchise and the East-West Sporting Club would own the Eagles. Thompson agreed to the arrangement (he just wanted to own a football team and really didn't care which one). Thus, beginning in 1941 the Eagles were owned by the East West Sporting Club (and Greasy Neales became their coach) and the Philadelphia Eagles Football Club (under Rooney and Bell) owned the Steelers until the name was changed to the Pittsburgh Steelers Football Club sometime in the mid-1940s. Or something like that.

Thanks

Randy
    pebblyjack
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
    Thanks for the info on the letterhead Randy. I had no idea when Rev. Mike asked about it. That is another great thing about this forum is the wide range of knowledge that everyone has and is willing to share. Rocke, I finally got a chance to meet your buddy Rod at the National. Great guy. I meet him near the end of the day when he was just about ready to leave. I wish I had more time to talk with him about his collection and his collecting exploits. I would love to see what others found at the National or any stories they would love to share.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Any great finds or interesting items from the National?
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Deion Sanders was a no show at the Class of 2011 signing. The HOF had no idea until 5 minutes before the session started. The class had just left the Roundtable luncheon and went directly to the class signing. Technically the HOF didn't have to do anything because it states on the tickets that the lineup can change at the last minute but I think they were honorable in what they did. Deion and Marshall Faulk would only sign flats so you could either pick one of two different photo's that the HOF had or you could give the HOF your flat item and they are going to send someone to Texas to get the items signed along with a COA and I believe a Sanders hologram. There was also a separate session for premium items scheduled after the Class signing with just Faulk and Sanders, I believe they did a refund on those tickets but I'm not sure. Way to go Deion.
    I picked up a couple of nice items:

1. Turk Edwards index card (already JSA'ed) - I already had one, so if anyone is looking for Turk, let me know
    2. Arnie Herber index card (again, already JSA'ed) and an extra in my collection
    3. John Brallier 3x5 - lot nicer than the one I had, so that one is now available for sale as well
    4. Henry Williams album page - (former Minnesota Coach)

Bart
  • I would be interested in the Turk Edwards autograph, let me know what you're looking for on it. mlee2587@gmail.com

Thanks! I wish I could have gone.
    Collecting Pro Football Hall of Fame Autographs: (238/267)
    Hey guys,

Picked up a pretty cool piece recently. It is the 1955 funeral sign-in book for Arch Ward, who was the Chicago Tribune sports editor during the 1930s and 40s. I believe he also was the father of the Baseball All-Star game and the AAFC. He was offered the job of NFL commissioner twice but turned it down.

The book contains over 1200 signatures. After a quick run through I found these college/NFL hofers.

Hunk Anderson

Elmer Layden

Joe Stydahar

Harry Stuhldreher

Paddy Driscoll

Was hoping for Duke Slater, who was a Chicago court judge at the time of Ward's death. Unfortunately, no dice. Still the other sigs are a decent consolation prize.

Mark
  • WOW !!!
    Another AWESOME item. Where do come up with this stuff ????
    I'm betting that there are a few more really good sigs in there.
    NICE pick-up.
    Rocke
    Rocke,

Thanks for the kind words. Seems to be a lot of Chicago Cardinal players/coaches too - Ray Richards and Phil Handler are of note. Quite a few boxing and baseball autographs are in the book too, but I know very little about them. On a quick run through of Chicago baseball Hofers I saw Will Harridge, Fred Lindstrom, Gabby Hartnett and Ted Lyons. I also noticed boxing legends Johnny Coulon and Barney Ross.

I found a newspaper clipping from the Chicago Tribune dated July 13, 1955 which discusses all the individuals who attended Ward's funeral. Looks like Lambeau, Marciano and Hubbard were also there...but they didn't sign the book.

I noticed two Bidwell autographs in the book - Charles Jr and Arthur. Are they worth anything??

May end up consigning the piece to Heritage or RR....unless anyone here wants to trade for it.

Mark
  • raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    Looks like we lost another HOFer. Mr. Pete Pihos passed away today image

RIP Mr. Pihos.
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
    I'm finally entering the 'Top 25' Territory. With that comes purchases I'm nervous about making - mostly because I don't have a lot of extra $ laying around. I have to justify my purchases by saying it was a deal I couldn't pass up - and I think I found one today but wanted to get your opinions as you are the experts. I have a rough estimate of what I thought this would go for and I thought I got it about $100-$125 under what I would have thought. Any opinions? I thought it was a steal considering it's a beautiful signature and dated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280722098843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The sale was made easier by the fact that I sold my Zach Miller PC to put towards my HOF PC. So that was my tradeoff....Zach Miller for Benny Friedman.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
    I was watching that and think it was a great buy and a really nice example with the date - glad you got it - congratulations!

<< <i>I was watching that and think it was a great buy and a really nice example with the date - glad you got it - congratulations! >>

Thanks Rev. I thought so. It was a bit yellowed....but I like that effect on my old sigs. Plus having it slabbed already saved me some $ as well. Is that the range a typical Friedman sells for?

"In Al We Trust!"

Nice pickup Raider Guy. You beat me out of it but that is ok, I already have one I was trying to pick it up for trade bait. Congrats!
    Somewhere between $350 - $500 is what I've found. I got mine last year for $20, they spelled Friedman wrong.
    Very nice vintage Friedman autograph. Congrats!!
  • Nice Friedman pickup Raiderguy ! Seems like a fair price too condsidering the added cost of slabbing.
    Just gets easier when you're down to the last 25 guys !!
    It's interesting to me the other items this seller has (and has had before ) listed. The ICs' are signed with two different color pens for years & teams . I don't think I have ever recieved any like that over the decades of writing to players.
    Curious.
    Congrats Raiderguy- listen, go easy on my QB this Saturday her in NorCAl !
    Lets make a deal... I'll trade you an Alex Smith Rookie Card RIGHT NOW for the Friedman..image
    Won a collection from huggins and scott (from rod wellington (sp?)) and lots of the index cards were signed with the teams they played for colors. Langer was orange and blue, lavelli brown and orange - they were really cool. I'm sure they were TTM with that request.

"In Al We Trust!"

• << <i>I'm finally entering the 'Top 25' Territory. With that comes purchases I'm nervous about making - mostly because I don't have a lot of extra $ laying around. I have to justify my purchases by saying it was a deal I couldn't pass up - and I think I found one today but wanted to get your opinions as you are the experts. I have a rough estimate of what I thought this would go for and I thought I got it about $100-$125 under what I would have thought. Any opinions? I thought it was a steal considering it's a beautiful signature and dated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280722098843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The sale was made easier by the fact that I sold my Zach Miller PC to put towards my HOF PC. So that was my tradeoff....Zach Miller for Benny Friedman. >>

Congrats on winning that Friedman. You won that from the guy with the best collection I know, my friend Rod. That is a nice item, at a GREAT price.
    Rocke

• << <i>Nice Friedman pickup Raiderguy ! Seems like a fair price too condsidering the added cost of slabbing.
    Just gets easier when you're down to the last 25 guys !!
    It's interesting to me the other items this seller has (and has had before ) listed. The ICs' are signed with two different color pens for years & teams . I don't think I have ever recieved any like that over the decades of writing to players.
    Curious.
    Congrats Raiderguy- listen, go easy on my QB this Saturday her in NorCAl !
    Lets make a deal... I'll trade you an Alex Smith Rookie Card RIGHT NOW for the Friedman..image >>

Those are also all extra's of Rod's, As I said during that Huggins & Scott auction a while ago, he had TEN different lots in that auction. I know he has a few in the upcoming auction as well. All EXTRA'S AND MULTIPLES of his collection.
    Also, those index cards weren't signed TTM like that. Those are all autographs that he got IN PERSON at HOF autograph shows over the years.
    By the way, Rod's last name is Winzinek. He has little stickers on the back of most, if not all of his 3 x 5 cards and other cuts. Being as vast as his collection is, I have ZERO doubt that in years to come, NO autograph collection will be complete without having at LEAST one autograph from the John Davis collection, from which I have three, the John Smith collection, from which I have two, and the Rod Winzinek collection, from which I have four.
    Rocke
    Not to mention the Rocke collection.

<< <i> Those are also all extra's of Rod's, As I said during that Huggins & Scott auction a while ago, he had TEN different lots in that auction. I know he has a few in the upcoming auction as well. All EXTRA'S AND MULTIPLES of his collection.
    Also, those index cards weren't signed TTM like that. Those are all autographs that he got IN PERSON at HOF autograph shows over the years.
    By the way, Rod's last name is Winzinek. He has little stickers on the back of most, if not all of his 3 x 5 cards and other cuts. Being as vast as his collection is, I have ZERO doubt that in years to come, NO autograph collection will be complete without having at LEAST one autograph from the John Davis collection, from which I have three, the John Smith collection, from which I have two, and the Rod Winzinek collection, from which I have four.
    Rocke >>

His was the collection I won - not sure where Wellington came from. I could just remember the Rod W. They were very nice signatures, and I was very happy to have them as part of my collection. Sure wish you'd work on getting Rod on here Rocke so we can see his stuff. I've never seen a Bidwill Sr. autograph - would like to see what his looks like. His and Shorty Ray are the two I've never seen an example of....

"In Al We Trust!"

Hi Guys!

I've been really busy lately, but wanted to show everyone what I picked up at the National. As some of you know, I'm working on HOF RC Autograph set, 1955 Topps All American Autos, and 1950-1955 Bowman Autograph sets. Here is what I found:

I also had the opportunity to meet Willie Brown and Mel Blount who were both very nice and willing to sign their RCs for my collection.

Here was my impulse buy! I've always wanted a leather helmet but never really thought I could afford one. I was told it was from the 1940's and was most likely used in a college game. The thing that stood out to me was the blood stains on the helmet strap. I don't know much about leather helmets but I took a risk on it and from talking to a couple people around the show they seemed to think I did very well!

My BIG addition is currently at JSA being authenticated. It's been 3 weeks and the suspense it killing me! I'm praying it's authentic because it would be HUGE!!!!

Overall the National was a great time and I can't wait for Baltimore next year!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Very nice stuff Reese. Looking forward to seeing that "HUGE" item you refer to.

I know that some of you guys have expressed an interest in obtaining an autograph of Al Blozis. Here is a link to a book seller who is selling a collection of two beautiful NCAA track and field autograph albums from 1938-40. Over 153 autographs are in the book. Amos Stagg and Al Blozis are of note. The total price is $600, which isn't too bad.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

www.barrycassidyrarebooks.com

Hope someone here obtains it.
    Reese it looks like you did very well at the national! I just got back and item that was at JSA for two months because it had been under review for quite some time but I finally got it back slabbed from Beckett last week. It was a signed 1956 ROTC meal card by Henry Jordan. I posted a picture of it several pages back. Can't wait to see your HUGE pick up!
    I'm hoping everything will work out. I bought it from Rich Albershiem who I consider very reputable. I owe Greg a huge thanks for letting me know about it!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Nice pick up Raider guy on the Friedman. I was watching that one as well. I agree with catman on the price.

Nice pickups from the National Reese. Vintage football at the National seemed a little light. Maybe I was not looking hard enough!!

Rocke, it was great to finally meet Rod Winzinek at the national. I would love to see his collection!!

Reese, I can't wait to see what you purchased from Rich. I am sure it was not cheap.

Ed
  • Great to see so many aqquisitions and success stories from my fellow board members - Does the heart good !
    Reese- can't wait to see what you got.....
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Over the past several months, I have picked up several cards for my collection. I picked up the Payton and George rc's from fellow board members, the Spurrier, Rogers and Crow rc were TTM returns and the remaining cards I picked up at the National last week. I am absolutely thrilled to have found the Halas, Van Brocklin and Baugh especially. Enjoy!

Rgs,

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Greg, fantastic pickups! I especially like the Van Brocklin and Luckman.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Deion Sanders was a no show at the Class of 2011 signing. The HOF had no idea until 5 minutes before the session started. The class had just left the Roundtable luncheon and went directly to the class signing. Technically the HOF didn't have to do anything because it states on the tickets that the lineup can change at the last minute but I think they were honorable in what they did. Deion and Marshall Faulk would only sign flats so you could either pick one of two different photo's that the HOF had or you could give the HOF your flat item and they are going to send someone to Texas to get the items signed along with a COA and I believe a Sanders hologram. There was also a separate session for premium items scheduled after the Class signing with just Faulk and Sanders, I believe they did a refund on those tickets but I'm not sure. Way to go Deion. >>

so does this mean that PSA now has a Sabol sig example!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    I would think they do however, Ed Sabol didn't do the class signing. He was confined to a wheel chair. JSA has been authenicating items since April that I am aware of. Here is a signed 3x5 that I received from Mr. Sabol back in probably February or March that was authenicated by JSA and slabbed by PSA.