Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Those are all great pieces, mine would probably be one of these:

Full sized Walter Payton autographed helmet, numbered to 600. I love the "Sweetness" inscription.

Jim Thorpe cut auto

Arnie Herber cut auto

Link Lyman cut auto 1/1

Also, sad news, Joe Perry died today. He was a great player and will be missed greatly.
    Collecting Pro Football Hall of Fame Autographs: (238/267)
  • Love the Link Lyman cut card. I just noticed something, your Arnie Herber is written in green ink. I have a card signed herber written in green ink also. I wonder if all is sigs (or at least most) are in green?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

• << <i>Love the Link Lyman cut card. I just noticed something, your Arnie Herber is written in green ink. I have a card signed herber written in green ink also. I wonder if all is sigs (or at least most) are in green? >>

Not all, BUT, the VAST majority ( my guess, somewhere between 90 and 95 % ) of index cards that Herber signed TTM or in person are in green ink.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Thanks for the quicj response Rocke. I don't collect the index card and my sig is on 64 Philly Packer team card. I just find it strange that for a pretty difficult autograph, Herber felt "compelled" to use a green pen on the vast majority of his signature requests? It seems odd, yet kind of cool.

• << <i>Love the Link Lyman cut card. I just noticed something, your Arnie Herber is written in green ink. I have a card signed herber written in green ink also. I wonder if all is sigs (or at least most) are in green? >>

Thanks. Yeah, I kinda figured it was because he played for the Packers that he always signed in green, that's just a guess though haha. Let's see your favorite pieces!
  • I embarrassed to admit I know how to upload scans to my sets, but not to a thread. It never seems to work for meimage
    You can check out my HOF set here to see some of those scans: Fabfranks HOF set
  • Very nice set, I love the Greasy Neale cut!
  • Very nice set, I love the Greasy Neale cut!

Thanks. I'm constantly trying to upgrade the set as well as fill in the gaps. The other challenge is finding cards with great autos. I've seen other Bobby Layne auto. cards, but none with a better sig than my card. So I live with the "Authentic" grade and it's 1 weighting. I also really like the Ron Mix cards. They present really well and the autographs tend to be really crisp. Check out my Jimmy Johnson or John Henry Johnson and you'll see what I mean. Lastly, I love when a player uses his nickname like Dante "Gluefingers" Lavelli.
  • WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    My 5 favorite items:

1. Bart Starr autographed book that I received from him, as a Bar Mitzvah present.

2. Jim Thorpe signed 8x10 (football pose of him in uniform holding his helmet)

3. John Blood McNally signed 8x10 photo

4. E.L. "Curly" Lambeau signed 3x5 - drop dead gorgeous

5. Fritz Pollard signed GPC - from the late 1940's I think

*Special Mention: Joe Carr signed large cut signature

And, not Pro Football, but individual signed index cards of the 4 Horseman (all would be 9 or 10's)

Bart
  • Trying to load pictures, but they aren't co-operating image
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi All,

Great topic. It is always great to see some awesome collectibles that people collect and cherish. Since I primarily focus on Green Bay Packer items I have selected 5 items that I have not shown before including:

1. Earl "Curly" Lambeau autographed 8 x 10 photo personalized to Plato Andros. Plato played for the Chicago Cardinals from 1947 to 1950. Lambeau after he left the Packers coached for the Chicago Cardinals in 1950.

2. Vince Lombardi autographed 8 x10 photo.

3. Vince Lombardi's 1959 signed Employee's withholding exemption certificate for when he was hired by the Green Bay Packers. It is dated February 10, 1959 Vince's second day on the job with his new team. This also includes his real social security number.
    imageimage

4. Earl "Curly" Lambeau signed 1945 Green Bay Packers coaching contract. This is a 4 page contract for Curly Lambeau to coach the Green Bay Packers from 1945 to 1949. His base pay was listed at $25,000 with many other perks built in.

5. 1923 Green Bay Packers pocket schedule. This was from the Packers 3rd year in the NFL and the first year that they were considered a corporation and owned by the people. This is the oldest pocket schedule I have ever seen for the Packers or any other Pro football team. If anyone has an older one I would love to see it.
    imageimage

Happy Collecting.
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Not a HOF'er but you have to love it...

Izzy Weinstock signed 8x10

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Hey! Wait a minute.....!
    All my favorite items are the stuff you guys have ! image
    Really, though they may not be as rare, I do dwell on some of the things HOF'ers sent me of thier own accord. Nice personal notes from McAfee & Crazylegs , Some signed Bulldog Turner cards Ron Gordon sent along after Bulldog passed , meeting Steve Young when it wasn't a show or anything and him carrying around a couple of footballs in his car and signing one for me and definitely recieving contributions from friends and family who thought well enough of my interest that they took the time out ! I got my first Namath on a silk cachet from a customer who knew I would appreciate it. My brother was at a show looking for some Baseball stuff and came back with a beautiful Howie Long ball .
    But : My Arnie Herber that I paid 14$ for in 1986 or so....a bargain
    Lombardi signed Packers Payroll made out to Fuzzy Thurston. Frederick C. Thurston, rather.
    a 1959 Baltimore banquet program signed by "Big Daddy "
    two 4x6 PC's signed by 7 Giants and Steve Owen
    and probably the best.... meeting John Unitas when I was a kid ! He didn't remember when I told him about it 30odd years later, hahahaa

• revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying these examples all of you are posting! Here's a couple of other favorites because they relate to the great Duluth Eskimos - first a card where Johnny Blood McNally claims that the Eskimos beat the Yellow Jackets in 1926 (No, you didn't) and signatures on the contract for the last game the Eskimos would play - against the Bears - Sternaman and Halas for the Bears and Ole Haugsrud for Duluth:

• wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm really enjoying these examples all of you are posting! Here's a couple of other favorites because they relate to the great Duluth Eskimos - first a card where Johnny Blood McNally claims that the Eskimos beat the Yellow Jackets in 1926 (No, you didn't) and signatures on the contract for the last game the Eskimos would play - against the Bears - Sternaman and Halas for the Bears and Ole Haugsrud for Duluth:

image >>

Hey Mike,

That second item looks very familiar.

Ed

<< <i>Hey Mike,

That second item looks very familiar.

Ed >>

My dealer got me hooked on the heavy stuff! MM
  • Quick question. Have seen a seller on ebay trying to sell a Chuck Hughes autograph. I have been looking for one for awhile. Little pricey but never seem to see any offered. Its around $400 minimum bid. Any thoughts or better yet anyone on here have one available cheaper?
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Guys,

Thanks for sharing scans of your favorite pieces. I love seeing pieces from your collections which are outstanding. My autograph collection is 99% signed cards, so below are a few of my favorites (I have a new non-HOFers sprinkled in):

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Love the Link Lyman cut card. I just noticed something, your Arnie Herber is written in green ink. I have a card signed herber written in green ink also. I wonder if all is sigs (or at least most) are in green? >>

Frank,

Someone told me (and I can't remember who) that blue ink on many of the old ball point pens will fade to green over time. If you look at my Len Ford, the signature is green. Hope that helps!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>I'm really enjoying these examples all of you are posting! Here's a couple of other favorites because they relate to the great Duluth Eskimos - first a card where Johnny Blood McNally claims that the Eskimos beat the Yellow Jackets in 1926 (No, you didn't) and signatures on the contract for the last game the Eskimos would play - against the Bears - Sternaman and Halas for the Bears and Ole Haugsrud for Duluth:

image >>

Ole Haugsrud was a HOF finalist in the early 70's and if he was elected to the HOF, his autograph would be in the top 10 toughest category. That is the first autograph of his that I've seen - thanks for sharing!

rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Our friend CJ from ukredskins is still trying. Now has sent his forgeries to a site called ukredskins a non eBay store. No worries, all your favorite fakes are still there. Getting harder for him to steal, but have to give him an A for effort!
  • raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our friend CJ from ukredskins is still trying. Now has sent his forgeries to a site called ukredskins a non eBay store. No worries, all your favorite fakes are still there. Getting harder for him to steal, but have to give him an A for effort! >>

http://www.cardcollectorsworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7891

I should forge a Tody Smith 76 Topps and sell it to him.....
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt

• << <i>

<< <i>Our friend CJ from ukredskins is still trying. Now has sent his forgeries to a site called ukredskins a non eBay store. No worries, all your favorite fakes are still there. Getting harder for him to steal, but have to give him an A for effort! >>

http://www.cardcollectorsworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7891

I should forge a Tody Smith 76 Topps and sell it to him..... >>

Remember to spell Tody correctly. If you can do a good enough job on it, perhaps you could be his next "autograph connection!"

It is funny how he is now independent. He no longer has to deal with those annoying companies that are keeping this poor man down.
  • Thanks for the ink info Gregimage
  • PuppeluvPuppeluv Posts: 115
    I realize Charlie Conerly isn't in Canton, but can someone 'splain why some signed cards -JSA and PSA graded even - are spelled "Charlie" and others "Charley" ?
    Should Conerly be in the HOF ? Gifford says probably not. He should know as well as anyone.
    ps- I want to add a PSA Paul Christman autograph a friend gave me for my BD to that list of favorite peices !
    As far as Charlie or Charley, I guess he spelled it both ways - my father spelled his middle name two ways also, Dayle and Dale - and I would love to see Conerly in the HOF

There was a large group of JSA authenticated autos up on eBay last week - I was able to add two to my ongoing quest for the 1925 Giants team set
    Lynn Bomar and Ed McGinley. The ones I don't have are - Matt Brennan, Jim Frugone, Dutch Hendrian, Cowboy Hill, Paul Jappe, Bill Kenyon, Tom Moran, Tommy Myers, Swede Nordstrom, Mike Palm, Babe Parnell, Owens Reynolds, Bill Rooney, Larry Walbridge, and Joe Williams

Rev: I was pretty sure you would be able to answer that question about the signings of Charlie Conerly. I would like to see him in the HOF as well. I believe he was a finalist a few times, but not sure if any of those were for the Senior selection... Glad to see you add to your '25 collection. I picked up a couple of things from that particular auction myself- the Anderson peice and your old QB Don Heinrich for my '58 Championship Game set
  • I am VERY excited about this month's show that Jane is having. Her autograph guest this month is Y. A. Tittle. I am more excited about spending time with him than anyone I have driven in the four years that I've gotten to do this. I have never got to have a conversation with anyone who would have known Tim Mara. Getting autographs at previous shows from Gifford, Huff, Wellington Mara etc. doesn't count. I should have a LOT of time with him, as I am picking him up at 6:30 PM on Saturday. That means " Where would you like to go to dinner at ? " After he gets checked into the hotel. Hopefully I will also be getting him over to my house so he can also sign my " Wall of Fame" to join the other previous signers. Besides Tim Mara, I also plan on asking him if he ever met Jim Thorpe and Hugh Ray. I also will be asking about Steve Owen. With the passing of Joe Perry a couple of weeks ago, there are VERY few Hall of Famers left, ( and fewer still if you take out the ones that now have differing extents of Alzheimer's/dementia ) that played Pro football in the 1940's.
    To see some pictures of the former players and Hall of Famers that have signed my rec-room wall, look at the pictures that I have posted on Facebook. I HAVE figured out how to post pictures on Ebay and Facebook, but have NOT figured out how to do so on this website yet. Mike sent me instructions on how to do it, but both times my attempted post came up blank. ( Did you leave out 1 step, maybe??? )
    I am friends with Reese, Dave, Ed, Nathan, and Bart on FB....if anyone else is on, I would welcome a friend request if you want to send me one.
    This is going to be SSSOOOOOOO much fun.
    Rocke Sweaney
    Basically a photo is the url of your picture on photobucket.com between two commands with brackets around them [ ]
    The first command IMG (with [ ] around it) and the last command is /IMG (also with brackets)
    without the brackets it looks like this
    IMG http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/revmoran/Bomar20auto.jpg?t=1305234384 /IMG

Now I put the brackets [ ] around IMG and /IMG

• xdvop86xdvop86 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Rocke I just sent you a friend request on facebook. I would love to see the pictures of the wall.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am VERY excited about this month's show that Jane is having. Her autograph guest this month is Y. A. Tittle. I am more excited about spending time with him than anyone I have driven in the four years that I've gotten to do this. I have never got to have a conversation with anyone who would have known Tim Mara. Getting autographs at previous shows from Gifford, Huff, Wellington Mara etc. doesn't count. I should have a LOT of time with him, as I am picking him up at 6:30 PM on Saturday. That means " Where would you like to go to dinner at ? " After he gets checked into the hotel. Hopefully I will also be getting him over to my house so he can also sign my " Wall of Fame" to join the other previous signers. Besides Tim Mara, I also plan on asking him if he ever met Jim Thorpe and Hugh Ray. I also will be asking about Steve Owen. With the passing of Joe Perry a couple of weeks ago, there are VERY few Hall of Famers left, ( and fewer still if you take out the ones that now have differing extents of Alzheimer's/dementia ) that played Pro football in the 1940's.
    To see some pictures of the former players and Hall of Famers that have signed my rec-room wall, look at the pictures that I have posted on Facebook. I HAVE figured out how to post pictures on Ebay and Facebook, but have NOT figured out how to do so on this website yet. Mike sent me instructions on how to do it, but both times my attempted post came up blank. ( Did you leave out 1 step, maybe??? )
    I am friends with Reese, Dave, Ed, Nathan, and Bart on FB....if anyone else is on, I would welcome a friend request if you want to send me one.
    This is going to be SSSOOOOOOO much fun.
    Rocke Sweaney >>

Rocke---If memory serves me, Tim Mara died in 1959 and the last game he ever saw was the '58 Sudden Death. Y.A came to the Giants in 1961. Its very likely they may never have met.....How come he's not staying at the Bellaggio Poker King? Its the best hotel in town!
  • Wow Joe, gotta admit, I screwed up there. Don't know what I was thinking. I hadn't yet begun to read to much specifically about Y.A. (or yat ) , but I was thinking that he joined New York earlier than ' 61. I was thinking 10 years with the Giants and 4 w/ SanFran. Guess I had it backwards. OOOOOPPPPSSSSS !!!!
    As far as him staying with me, he would be more than welcome of course, but I really hate being responsible for an 85 year old man. Plus, I guess he is bringing his grandson along with him. I do have one spare bedroom and two spare beds, but that is reserved for Rev. Mike whenever he decides to make an appearance here in Canton !!!!
  • HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 304 ✭✭
    Rocke asked me to post a picture of Y.A. Tittle, he is signing a 52 Bowman.
    A few more:

• # 1.....Thanks VERY much Tim for posting these for me.
    # 2.....Can you tell that I had a pretty good weekend ????
    Rocke
    I really enjoyed seeing those pictures - YA looks in good health and happy spirits - thanks for posting those.
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Rocke,

Those are without question the best photos I've seen on this forum. The pic of Tittle drinking the beer and holding your stein is priceless. What a great experience for you and your son.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
    Yes Rock- thanks for sharing !
    YA looks truly vibrant and like he's having some fun - very cool !
    Great experience, great pics, great wall, and.....great beer stein ! lol
    I think I will track one of those down. At least try to. I'm insured with YA here in NorCal.
    I could post pics of me in front of the building......but no.image
  • Rocke, Those photos of Y.A. were awesome. I'm glad to see your still at it. Zack and I haven't been to a show in a while. Ben is getting tall. Hope all is well. Bill.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i># 1.....Thanks VERY much Tim for posting these for me.
    # 2.....Can you tell that I had a pretty good weekend ????
    Rocke >>

Rocke, the pictures would have been even better if you had removed your cap----you and YA would have looked like father and son!
  • raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭
    Here's a buyer beware from lelands.com on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110688510984&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

He claims it's the Ram's owner, but it looks nothing like the Rams owner's signature. I sent an email with a scan and serial # to PSA and they confirmed it's the coach, not the HOF owner. I let lelands know, and he said he is having dinner with a PSA representative this weekend and will ask that person later. Kinda shady to drag it on considering I copies and pasted the email from PSA along with the contact information. But as of now someone is bidding over $100 for a $10 autograph....
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt

• << <i>I really enjoyed seeing those pictures - YA looks in good health and happy spirits - thanks for posting those. >>

First of all Thanks to Tim for posting the pictures for me. I really appreciate it. I know how to post pictures on Facebook, and have been posting pictures of all the Football players that I have been lucky enough to get over to my house in the last year or so. You must be friends with me on FB to see them. Have added a few new friends on FB from this forum. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I know I've had a GREAT time with each and every one of these guys.
    As far as YA goes, he definitely IS in Happy Spirits, but, sad to to say, he is in early stages of Alzheimers. He can remember much, he told me about the time that he met Jim Thorpe. That was one of the things I wanted to ask him about. He answered every question I asked of him. He does however, ask the same question many times. Ex... He asked me many times if Norm VanBrocklin, John Unitas, Sammy Baugh, Bobby Layne etc. were still alive or not. 20 or 30 minutes later, he would ask the same thing. Like I said, early stages, but I had a LOT of fun with him and his Grandson Mike, as you can tell from the pictures.
    Rocke

• << <i>Rocke,

Those are without question the best photos I've seen on this forum. The pic of Tittle drinking the beer and holding your stein is priceless. What a great experience for you and your son.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark >>

WOW......Thank You VERY much for that Mark. I appreciate that very much. Yea, I thought that would be a pretty cool picture. The put out four Stein's about 25 years ago of HOF QB's. I have a Tittle and a Graham. Still need the other two, but I don't even remember who the other two are !!!!
    To answer a question I got in a PM from another poster, YES, that is a Yuengling Beer that he has in his hand. For those of you who don't know, Yuengling is only sold in the 13 Original Colonies, of which Ohio is NOT one, but, I was given some as a gift recently. They are VERY good beers, and I was only too happy to share a few with Y.A. and Mike.
    Rocke

<< <i>Here's a buyer beware from lelands.com on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110688510984&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

He claims it's the Ram's owner, but it looks nothing like the Rams owner's signature. I sent an email with a scan and serial # to PSA and they confirmed it's the coach, not the HOF owner. I let lelands know, and he said he is having dinner with a PSA representative this weekend and will ask that person later. Kinda shady to drag it on considering I copies and pasted the email from PSA along with the contact information. But as of now someone is bidding over $100 for a $10 autograph.... >>

.....and a suprisingly very shaky looking Coach Reeves signature at that......in what looks to be Sharpie .
    A Rams owner Dan Reeves in Sharpie should really be worth something. I hope they re-classify this.

• << <i>Rocke, Those photos of Y.A. were awesome. I'm glad to see your still at it. Zack and I haven't been to a show in a while. Ben is getting tall. Hope all is well. Bill. >>

Hey Bill, yea, still at it, and having a GREAT time doing this. Yea missed you at Chantilly in March. I might be there in July but it would have to be Saturday only. I can't believe how big he has been growing. I wish I wouldn't have Emailed that picture of YA and ben though. YA looks like he MIGHT be three sheets to the wind ( trashed ) , but I assure you he wasn't. He only had two beers. Guess he was just blinking when I took that one !!! Don't know if you can tell or not, but in the photo with the GLA cards, I had him sign two GLA cards, AND two unlined index cards Yelberton A. Tittle. I also had him sign my 1962 Hall of Fame Game program.
    Randall McDaniel next month !!!!
    Rocke
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Nice weekend Rocke. Must have been great. As a kid I had a chance to spend some time with Bob Griese, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier. I was 7 and on the way to the airport, Griese looked back at me, and said, 'Hey kid, cat got your tongue? He asked me a question and all I could do was nod my head up and down...I was so nervous!

I am trying to figure out how many College Football HOF members were elected as both a player and coach. I know of Stagg, anyone else come to mind?

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Raiderguy,

That's me bidding on the Dan Reeves autograph. Have e-mails into seller and covering it until it gets changed/removed. No worries, I won't be paying for the auction if it actuallys gets to the end.

Ken