Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Very cool piece Mike...thanks for sharing. I wonder if the endorsement is true, since it appears that "Russ Brand" was inserted by a different type writer.
  • Can anyone tell me whose autograph this is??? Its on a football I believe was signed at the 1973 and 1974 Pro Bowl.

Collecting Pittsburgh Steelers and PFHOF Autographs
  • xdvop86xdvop86 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Looks like Joe Theismann's auto...Nope not his..
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    looks like Don Shinnick to me.
    Concur with Bart...without question that is Don Shinnick (1935-2004), who played for the Colts from 1957-69.
    Picked this up on ebay for $7.39. Now I know the current football autograph market has taken a downward turn and this piece isn't in the greatest condition.....but I think this is still a decent deal..

• I don't believe it is Don Shinnick. They really don't look anything alike. There is a Photo of his auto attached below.
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭

<< <i>Picked this up on ebay for $7.39. Now I know the current football autograph market has taken a downward turn and this piece isn't in the greatest condition.....but I think this is still a decent deal..

image >>

Oh, I missed that one - how was that described?? Did it even have the word football in there? Nice item - I've always been interest in Pond since he coached the New Britain team that played against the Giants in their first game of 1925 - and then Neale was one of Pond's assistants at Yale, which seems and odd hierarchy. The Milstead is nice. Great pickup
    Here is my 3x5 of Don Shinnick. It was signed during the 1960s. Don't know who signed that photo posted, but Shinnick died of a frontal lobe disorder at a young age.. Maybe his signature changed a lot over the years.

Shinnick had two different signatures, the normal and the "fancy" one. I have index cards of both varieties.

Bart
    Mark, I thought I had a photo from that Testimonial Dinner in Torrington, CT - from some papers I purchased from a relative of Century Milstead:

-Mike: Great photo...many thanks for posting a scan.

-Bart: Mystery solved. How are things going with the new website?
    One of the many "collections" I'm working on are autographs of every player featured on the 1894 Mayo Plug football set. While nearly impossible to complete, I have managed to obtain 10 of the 35 players. I currently have Crowdis, Lea, Hinkey, Poe, Trenchard, Waters, Wheeler, Hickok, Butterworth and Thorne. Posted are a few of my more recent pickups.

Sam "Brinck" Thorne

Philip King (Princeton Hofer), Bert Waters and Frank Butterworth

Arthur Wheeler
  • Thanks For the help guys.
  • Tomorrow morning I get to pick-up Charley Taylor and Chris Hanburger at CAK for Jane's show. Off to breakfast, then to her show. They are done signing at 3:00 PM and their flights don't take off until 5:50 PM Have met Charley a few times at HOF signings. Never met Chris. Should be pretty cool talking with him. This will be the first time I've got to drive someone that is NOT in the Hall, but is a finalist nominee for the coming Hall of fame class. Look forward to hearing his thoughts.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Four years ago I picked up a signed team sheet for the 1943 New York Giants from Gaynor. The letter was listed as being signed by Steve Owen but I noticed Alphonso Leemans had also signed the letter along with 27 others, so I was stunned that I was able to win this item for such a low price. Anyway,I filed it away until recently, when I decided to bring it to Spence at the last Chantilly show. I re-read the letter to find it was also signed by Al Blozis. The letter has now been authenticated. I would love to post a scan but don't know how to do so. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
  • If you send me the scan I'll post it for you revmoran (at) nmchurch.org - Mike
    JMDV wrote:

<< <i>Four years ago I picked up a signed team sheet for the 1943 New York Giants from Gaynor. The letter was listed as being signed by Steve Owen but I noticed Alphonso Leemans had also signed the letter along with 27 others, so I was stunned that I was able to win this item for such a low price. Anyway,I filed it away until recently, when I decided to bring it to Spence at the last Chantilly show. I re-read the letter to find it was also signed by Al Blozis. The letter has now been authenticated. >>

Here is Joe's image:

• Joe,

That is an awesome piece....very jealous. Sorry that I did not get a chance to see it when you offered in Chantilly! See you next show.

Ken
    I know,I tried to flag you down but you were motoring around the place!
  • Does anyone on here have any of the following Steelers autographs they would be interested in selling?

Buddy Dial
    Jock Sutherland
    Mike Nixon
    Elbie Nickel
    Jim Finks
    Charlie Bradshaw
    Big Daddy Lipscomb
    Joe Bach

If you have any other vintage Steelers players let me know. Thanks
  • I am also looking for...

Howard Hartley
    Bill McPeak
    Chuck Cherundolo
    Dick "Richie" McCabe

Let me know guys image
  • I bought this Steve Owen autograph last week and It just came in the mail today. Being a Steelers fan makes it double nice. Just thought I would share.

• A very nice Steve Owen! thanks for posting
  • Hi everyone,

I have seen comments in the past about "UKREDSKINS" autographs and I had to way in. Right now he has a signed Vince Lombardi team card on eBay for sale. What do you guys think?? I don't think it is real.

<< <i>Hi everyone,

I have seen comments in the past about "UKREDSKINS" autographs and I had to way in. Right now he has a signed Vince Lombardi team card on eBay for sale. What do you guys think?? I don't think it is real.
    image >>

It looks like it was signed by an epiletic chicken....
  • LOL......UK also has a Luckman that looks like it was signed by that chicken.
    Thought this might be of interest - obviously signed later in life - Cecil Tex Grigg - also played a game with Frankford in 1927.

Here's an interesting story about his pro coaching career - could have been a good scene in Leatherheads!

On November 1, 1925, the Rochester Jeffersons were on the road and trailing the Providence Steam Roller 10-0 early in the second quarter, and had third and 10 from their own 46. Jeffersons fullback-coach Cecil "Tex" Grigg called for a direct snap to halfback Jim Laird, apparently forgetting that the Jeffersons had traded Laird in 1921 and, as a two-way player, was at that moment lined up for the Steam Roller at middle linebacker. As a result, Jeffersons center Chester Allan "Chet" Wynne lined up facing backwards, snapped the ball over the defensive line toward Laird, and immediately charged forward to block, flattening quarterback Guilford "Hawk" Falcon. A surprised Laird successfully caught the ball and headed downfield. He was has hauled down from behind just short of the goal line by Elmer "Catchy" Oliphant, a former Jeffersons end who was at that time working for Metropolitan Life's New England regional office and had been attending the game to collect an auto insurance premium from backup Steam Roller Walter "Pard" Pearce. Since Oliphant was at that point not a member of the Jeffersons, officials ruled that no penalty could be assessed against the Jeffersons, but instead required Metropolitan Life to throw in a free uninsured motorist rider for Pearce.

• I just received this Jim Finks autographed dinner program in the mail today. I picked it up on ebay the past Sunday. It even has his picture inside as President of the Chicago Cubs. I have had a pretty good month considering this and the Owens autographed program I picked up earlier image

• Hey Chris, couple of very nice pick-ups. I honestly had no idea that Jim Finks was at one time President of the Cubs.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Picked up Tampa Bay Hall of Famer LeeRoy Selmon this morning at the airport. Took him out to breakfast, then stopped by my house. Had him autograph my rec-room wall. He is the 5th person to sign my wall, following Bobby Mitchell, Yancey Thigpen, Dan Hampton, and Chris Hanburger. What a blast. Not much time after the show, so it was right back to the airport. He gave me two names of guys that he played with or against that is NOT in the Hall, but that he thinks should be : Doug Williams and Mike Kenn.

<< <i>Picked up Tampa Bay Hall of Famer LeeRoy Selmon this morning at the airport. Took him out to breakfast, then stopped by my house. Had him autograph my rec-room wall. He is the 5th person to sign my wall, following Bobby Mitchell, Yancey Thigpen, Dan Hampton, and Chris Hanburger. What a blast. Not much time after the show, so it was right back to the airport. He gave me two names of guys that he played with or against that is NOT in the Hall, but that he thinks should be : Doug Williams and Mike Kenn. >>

Doug Williams? Kenn maybe...
  • Well, this just keeps getting better and better. After the GREAT time that I had with LeeRoy Selmon on Sunday, I barely have had time to come down from that, but I get home from work tonight, get on Facebook, and see that Jane has made a Post that says she just got confirmation that on March 27th she will be having Gale Sayers at her show !!!! Can not WAIT for that one. Have got him quite a number of times at Hall of Fame autograph shows, but this will be a whole new ballgame. Don't want to wish my life away, but March 27th can't get here fast enough.
    Rocke
  • airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Is Chris Doleman considered a likely HOF'er? If so, is his autographed rookie tough?

• << <i>Is Chris Doleman considered a likely HOF'er? If so, is his autographed rookie tough? >>

Strictly MY opinion, but, YOU asked for it. He went to eight Pro Bowls, Was 1st team ALL-PRO 3 times, 2nd team ALL-PRO twice, and All Decade for the 1990's. I would put the odds at between 75 % - 85 %. I don't think he is a " Stone Cold, Lead Pipe Lock " ( Mike & Mike reference ) but definitely better than 50-50.
    Anyone else have an opinion ?
    Rocke
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is Chris Doleman considered a likely HOF'er? If so, is his autographed rookie tough? >>

Strictly MY opinion, but, YOU asked for it. He went to eight Pro Bowls, Was 1st team ALL-PRO 3 times, 2nd team ALL-PRO twice, and All Decade for the 1990's. I would put the odds at between 75 % - 85 %. I don't think he is a " Stone Cold, Lead Pipe Lock " ( Mike & Mike reference ) but definitely better than 50-50.
    Anyone else have an opinion ?
    Rocke >>

you could say almost the same numbers for Leroy Butler as well. then again Jerry Kramer was not only an all 60's team member but also part of the 75th Ann All Time team and isnt in the HOF. so go figure.

i hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving. we all have plenty to be thankful for.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Rocke: Thanks, I also had no idea Finks was with the Cubs.

Here are a few pictures of a 1921 Walt Kiesling High School graduation pamphlet I just picked up. Unfortunately, no autograph image

• Right there with Leroy Butler is Jim Tyrer. Its a shame the the circumstances of his death but that shouldn't keep him out of the hall.
    Some pretty cool recent pickups. (1) Frank "Buck" O'Neill - 1902-1922 football coach and inaugural member of the CFHOF. (2) Eddie Casey - 1916,19 Harvard CFHOF HB, and (3)Jesse Harper - Notre Dame legendary Head football coach from 1913-1918 and member of the CFHOF.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season!
    I have a Norm Van Brocklin 1954 Bowman for sale, if anyone is interested. You can see a scan of it at raresigs.com and then click on Football "U-V"

Bart
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Do you guys remember that Bruce Smith signed 1948 card that UKredskins sold? Well it's back up for sale and PSA/DNA graded.

Auction
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

<< <i>Some pretty cool recent pickups. (1) Frank "Buck" O'Neill - 1902-1922 football coach and inaugural member of the CFHOF. (2) Eddie Casey - 1916,19 Harvard CFHOF HB, and (3)Jesse Harper - Notre Dame legendary Head football coach from 1913-1918 and member of the CFHOF.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season! >>

Mark, I have a project to collect autographs of the players who had photos in the 1935 Chicle R 311 set - and don't have Eddie Casey yet. I did just pick up Stan Kostka and I have Joe Bach, George Christensen, Red Grange, Joe Maniaci, Harry Newman, Dixie Howell, and Cotton Warburton - so I need Casey, Gutowsky, Stratford Morton (of Yale), and Walt Switzer.
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is making a 3x5 submission to psa soon, can you please PM me?

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
    Mike,

Tough group to find. I recently bought a Casey letter on Harvard letterhead, but after examining it closer I'm almost certain it is a pre-print. I had a Gutowsky on a 1935 Detroit Lions signed photo, but sold it about a year or two ago. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Cheers!

Mark
  • Jim,

I have about 50-60 pieces to submit if anyone gets together a group submission. I negotiated some discounted rates with PSA/DNA last year, but I am guessing that with a larger submission we could do better.

Ken
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Ok, what 'was' the price last year per 3x5? I can do a bunch depending on what it cost. This would be my first 'Sub' Hahaha!

Thanks,

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's an easy one, but i have to brag because of the price.

I just picked up a slabbed Joe Schmidt (on an inexpensive card) for a couple bucks thanks to an auction listing that would have been laughable on eBay, let alone in a catalog auction. image

S/H won't be much for the card, as I also won a couple game used bats at $5 apiece.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you guys remember that Bruce Smith signed 1948 card that UKredskins sold? Well it's back up for sale and PSA/DNA graded.

Auction >>

Reese,

Holy cr*p. I think that KHW bought it for under $200. Why would CJ leave so much $ on the table????? That's insane.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Anyone on here interested in a really nice 2007 Limited Cuts Ken Strong 66/100 autograph card PM me.

• Mike,
    Very nice pickups, I tried to get the Bach but lost image

Greg,
    I have lost numerous ebay lots to KHW and he always does this. That card will be there for years to come, I place it in the 500-700 range maybe. It hurts sometimes to see it though. ha