Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi Guys,

I have been reading the last couple of posts concerning the Walter Kiesling that UKRedskins had listed. I looked at it before it got pulled on eBay and can see why someone might think it could be legit. It does seem that UKRedskins does come up with some tough autographs. Some do look questionable and it seems like he mixes good with the questionable. Now, he does offer your money back if the autograph fails authentication but you need to wonder why he doesn't get them authenticated before he lists them?? I think he would make a ton more money unless he is trying to hide them and hopping that the customer does not return them. I also saw the Dan Reeves and that too looked iffy. If it is real, the person that bought it got a steal or got taken. I have listed some Walter Kiesling autograph examples below.

imageimageimage

1.Removed from the 1935 or 1936 football magazine.
    2.Auctioned item.
    3.1948 Green Bay Packers team signed sheet. (I own this one)
    4.The famous check from Kevin Keating.

Also, if you are a subscriber to Gridiron Greats, Collector and Dealer, Ron Gordon did a breakdown of Walter Kiesling autographs in the winter 2004 Volume 3, Issue #6. Very informative. If you need a copy of the article please let me know and I could post it or send it by e-mail.

Thanks,
    Ed
  • A little off subject but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a Turk Edwards autograph is going for today? I recently found a "My life with the Redskins" book signed by the entire 1947 Redskins team and was wondering what would be a good price.
    Collecting Pittsburgh Steelers and PFHOF Autographs
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    here is a scan of the card that CJ had for sale:

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Can anyone give me any info on the Turk Edwards? How hard his autograph is and what they are going for?
  • Turk is somewhat tough. DEFINITELY in the 20 toughest. Kirk Welch recently sold a very nice unlined 3 x 5 card for 350.00. It is pretty rare that you will see one go at auction that ends BELOW 300.00
    The May 2010 Huggins & Scott auction had a very nice 3 x 5 card that went for 500.00 That is about at the top end for a cut. They had a letter,9 with a George marshall, that went for quite a bit more. But cuts/ gpc's/ index cards will generally go for between 325.00 to 500.00
    Obviously, gum cards /letters/contracts will go for quite a bit more.
    Hope this helps.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Collecting Pittsburgh Steelers and PFHOF Autographs
  • Thanks Rocke, that helps a lot. I have a book written by George Marshall's wife that is signed on the inside cover by the entire 1947 Redskins team and have been wondering what its worth. I knew Turk Edwards was a tough signature but havent seen one sell for a while. I might put the book in the next Huggins. Did you ever sell your Kiesling photo? (Im the guy near Baltimore that contacted you)
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just dont get why people think UKredskins stuff is good.. He has all of the hardest deceased players selling them over and over and all the top stars. People always defend him but come on... >>

CJ has sold at least 3 signed 1955 Topps AA Turk Edwards cards. None of the top dealers combined that I've talked with have ever seen or sold one....besides the 3 that CJ sold. Also, over the past several years, CJ has sold a 1952 Bowman Steve Owen, 1962 Topps Ernie Davis, 1969 Topps Brian Piccolo, several Dan Reeves signed cards, a Walt Kiesling signed card, a George Preston Marshall signed card, 1955 Topps AA Bruce Smith, Davey O'Brien, Tom Harmon, ect.... the list goes on. Either he hit the mother load of vintage football auto'd cards or he is forging or someone else is feeding him bad autographs. What's maddening about him is that inter-mixed with the questionable cards are loads of legit auto'd cards.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Let's not forget about that signed Charles Bidwell Sr card that was apparently legit even though it was produced like 10 years after he died!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    FYI -

I have been working hard (along with my trusted partner Steve) on my web site OldestLivingProFootball.com and I finally feel confident enough to post all the pro-football deaths of pro-football players since 1920 on my site. I previously only had 1980-2010 and now I have 1920 - 2010 listed. It includes a great many AFL players that were long since forgotten.

I am still working to clear up the football encyclopedias that are just full of bad information and it is taking longer than expected to complete because of all the mistakes that are being found. We basically have to search out every player and fix or confirm the information that has been previously published. How they came up with some of the birth/death dates I will never know. The other problem is that it seems as though, once a wrong death or birth date was published in "Total Football" or some other book, all the online sites copied it and now it is considered fact.

An example of this is Faye 'Mule' Wilson , 1926 Buffalo Rangers and 1927 New York Giants - Total Football has him born: 8/8/1903 and dying on 2/1991. The person listed as dying on this date is actually a female. The real Faye Mule Wilson was born September 10, 1901 and died on July 18th, 1937! Quite a big difference and one that was easily fixed. Who came up with the original information? There are hundreds of other examples similar to this one, unfortunately.

I am still working on adding some names so if you see someone that you know is missing, please let me know and I will add him. It is a work in progress but since there is so much new information and different from the other published football history books, I wanted to get it online and hopefully it will provide some useful information to the football researchers.

OldestLivingProFootball.com

So, I hope it helps some of you reading this and if you have any questions about a certain player, let me know.

Jim
    OldestLivingProFootball.com

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
    Jim,

You are truly one of the greatest assets to this hobby.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Here are some pictures of my autographed copy of "My life with the Redskins". It has 39 total autographs with Turk Edwards, Wayne Millner and Sammy Baugh being the three Hall of Famers. I would consider selling or trading this book if anyone is interested. Let me know what you guys think.

Just saw that Don Coryell died.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Dan,

How about the Darrell Green 15 card autograph set for $450? I love that the first "D" is different across almost every card and that the top of the "G" has 0/1/2 arches depending on his mood I guess:}.

Ken
  • I am not familiar with Darrelle Green's signatures so no coment about that one... But i can say that UKredskins current listings of signed cards of Bob Griese, Deion Sanders 1997 UD, Marlin Briscoe 1976, Eric Dickerson 1987, and Walter Payton 1984 look "Interesting" to me.
  • There are scams all over ebay, Ukredskins is not the only person with questionable items. This hobby is littered with fakes. PSA/DNA has put several bad admissions through in their time. I personally believe the Turk Edwards card that was posted on here a few months back to be legit but it has been turned down twice by PSA. I have studied with a handwriting analyst that works for the Metropolitan Police Department and I don't buy any autograph I have not looked at over a hundred examples of. It pays to do your homework.
  • KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Dgpal,

I agree. I don't think anyone is denying that there are tons of fakes all over E-bay. Having collected football autographs for almost 20 years, I use my experience, gut feeling, and lots of exemplars for comparison.

Ukredskins is of particular interest to this thread because he lists cards that are often at the top of our wantlists (HOf/College football collectors) and are near impossible to find. He also seems to mix authentic/legit cards with others that appear very questionable. I think it's good to continue warning other collectors to proceed with caution.

Ken
  • I agree with that but I don't think he is faking cards as much as he is buying collections and letting the buyer decide whats fake and whats not. If he had a 90% authentic Kiesling autograph he would have to be a fool to "auction" it on ebay. I don't think he is a fool. Has anyone ever used his refund policy?
    Greg,

Thanks, I wasn't looking for a compliment, but it is appreciated. It takes a lot of work, but I feel it is well worth it.

Jim

• revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Jim, you may have to correct your information on Walt Kiesling - apparently he was still signing cards in 1985! Another amazing auction -
    eBay auction
  • That is awesome!!!!!!!! lol
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Lol....look at the other items he has for sale! I believe it is a fleer card of Shoeless Joe Jackson for $8K and a facsimile signed KC Royals card from I think it was either 1973 or 1974...wow...
    The card sold for over $1,000 -
    Lol....I don't know who is the bigger jackass the guy selling the cards or the idiot who bought it????? The guy who bought it already left negative feedback but he couldn't have received the card yet!!!

<< <i>Jim, you may have to correct your information on Walt Kiesling - apparently he was still signing cards in 1985! Another amazing auction -
    eBay auction >>

It must have been "ghost signed"...lol. What a tool.

Greg M.

References:
  • What is next, a signed copy of his death certificate? ha
    Catman pointed out the negative feedback - after reading it I don't think the seller got paid - looks more like 71cardfan hit BIN to end the auction and then left nasty feedback - bold move!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    man i cant believe that kiesling slipped through my fingers. i am sure another will pop up.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Hey Guys,

I'm selling the following football autographs. Let me know if any interest.

1. Germany Schulz signed ticket stub - $450
    2. Heffelfinger cut from a check - $250
    3. Gilmour Dobie cut - $100
    4. Grishom Poe cabinet photo, signed on reverse - $150
    5. signed letters of Charles Bachman and Lynn Waldorf - $100/pair
    6. 3x5s of Earl Blaik, Bobby Dodd, Tom Hamilton, Bud Wilkinson, Oosterbaan, Harmon - $200 (group)
    7. Signed letter dated 12/7/1906 from Glenn Warner on Cornell letterhead to his football squad - $500
    8. Handwritten signed note from Johnny Poe - $400
    9. Beautiful 1977 signed touchdown card of Benny Friedman - $250
    10. Signed photo of Benny Friedman throwing a pass. Some skipping in the signature from the glossy photo - $150

I'd also do $2k for everything (for the closet dealers out there)

Thanks for looking.

Mark
    pm sent
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    argggggggggggggggggg!

I can't believe I got out bid on one of my all-time favorite players! Izzy Weinstock cut on ebay went for $46!! Who the heck, other than me, would want him that bad?

I bid $45 thinking I was waaaayyy over - left the house and came back to see I LOST IT....

Mark,

pm sent!

Jim

Does anyone have an opinion on this auction? I have tried to study his autographs, but I really never know if it is his signature or someone from his family....

Sid Luckman Mini Helmet

• wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I am posting these photo's on behalf of Rocke. The photo's are of Pete Henry's gravestone, the gravestone with his son, Rocke and HOF member Bobby Mitchell and Rocke with HOF member John Hannah.

• Hey Rocke, Nice photos. Missed you at CSA this past weekend. They had a nice show, not real crowded this time. Jim, I was talking to the fellow who listed the Luckman mini on ebay. He actually lives here in Lancaster. I know the Landry he had on got pulled but the Luckman went pretty high. Higher than I bid anyway damnit! The minis are so hard to find like that. I believe he has a few others that he is going to list coming up. Is there anything you want me to ask him about? He was a collector a while back and I guess he's been out of work for a while so he is selling off some of his items. Seems like a good guy.
    As some of you guys know I picked up a huge collection of vintage college football autographs recently. Here are a few cool pieces in the bunch.

Signed 3x5 of Benny Friedman, on the reverse he wrote out his most memorable football moments.

Signed letter by Germany Schulz, inaugural member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Signed 11x14" cabinet photo of Thomas "Doggie" Trenchard, 1893 Princeton all-american and one of the first professional football players

Pop Warner signed letter. First letter of his I've seen with Cornell letterhead. This one is available for sale/trade. Comes with the original envelope (handwritten by Warner)

• Hi everyone,

I am new to this board, but I've been following it for some time now. I also am an avid collector of football autographs. I'm down to needing 16 more for the hall. Unfortunately, most of them are the toughest, except I did manage to get Thorpe many years ago. I am very impressed by all of your collections and knowledge of the hobby.

Anyways I was interested in buying the 3x5 Goldberg from Reese3333. How do we discuss this?
    Andre W.
    Hello and welcome to the board.

You can email me at rcover213@yahoo.com or enable your private message feature if you want to discuss the Goldberg.

Thanks,
    Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Mark,

That signed photo of Thomas Trenchard is amazing. Very nice! It looks like he was born around 1874 and died in October (18th probably)of 1943. What a great find - congrats!

Jim

• Wow, I have been away from here for tooooooo long. Have been on vacation for two weeks. First of all, I want to Thank Ed for posting the pictures of my son and me, along with Bobby Mitchell and John Hannah. Really neat to see the gravesite of Pete Henry. I must admit however, that I am sick. Tommorrow morning, I am going down to Columbus, to visit two more cemeteries. Buried in one of them is Woody Hayes, and Ohio State legend Chic Harley. Buried in the other one is Ohio State Heisman Trophy winner Vic Janowicz, and 1963 Hall of Famer Joe Carr. Stopped in the latter cemetery last week, but the office was already closed, and that cemetery is HUGE. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pictures, and Thanks again Ed.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

<< <i>As some of you guys know I picked up a huge collection of vintage college football autographs recently. Here are a few cool pieces in the bunch.

Signed 3x5 of Benny Friedman, on the reverse he wrote out his most memorable football moments.
    Signed letter by Germany Schulz, inaugural member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
    Signed 11x14" cabinet photo of Thomas "Doggie" Trenchard, 1893 Princeton all-american and one of the first professional football players
    Pop Warner signed letter. First letter of his I've seen with Cornell letterhead. This one is available for sale/trade. Comes with the original envelope (handwritten by Warner)
    >>

Mark, it just gets better and better - someday you have to share your secrets for finding this kind of top quality material - thanks for sharing. A couple of years ago I did pick up a three page handwritten letter by Warner on Temple stationary - he says leaving Stanford was the biggest mistake of his life - he wrote it to "Rabbit" James Bradshaw the coach at Fresno State in 1938 and it's signed just "Pop" And recently I picked up this program - don't know if I can find autographs of any of these players

Rev-

Nice Yale program. If you are serious in getting the signatures of these early Yale players, I recommend a 3-volume set called "Football Y Men" published in the 1960s. It lists professional bios of every Yale student who earned a football varsity letter. I purchased just the first volume which covers the turn of the century. Great reference for tracking down these obscure signatures.

Cheers!

Mark

• << <i>Hey Rocke, Nice photos. Missed you at CSA this past weekend. They had a nice show, not real crowded this time. Jim, I was talking to the fellow who listed the Luckman mini on ebay. He actually lives here in Lancaster. I know the Landry he had on got pulled but the Luckman went pretty high. Higher than I bid anyway damnit! The minis are so hard to find like that. I believe he has a few others that he is going to list coming up. Is there anything you want me to ask him about? He was a collector a while back and I guess he's been out of work for a while so he is selling off some of his items. Seems like a good guy. >>

Hey Bill, yea, I got a bit screwed at work. Had to work Friday and Saturday until 10:00PM Would have liked to have been there. I need to do well Hall of Fame weekend at the Belden Village mall show, or might not be able to make it in November.
    Rocke
  • Hi,

One of the few guys I need is Joe Guyon who played for the Bulldogs. Anyone know how hard it is to get him, and about how much it goes for today. I'm also looking for blood Mcnally and Arnie Herber. Any advise on them?
    Andre W.
    Guyon also played for the Giants and I have a small signed photo I value at $200 - I don't see his autograph come up for sale that often; McNally seems to be available quite often and I put a $450 value on the 3x5 I have; I don't see Herber that often but I do have a slabbed 3x5 and value it at $300. I just picked up a second Guyon but it was part of a team signed 1927 Giants item so I can't judge how much it added to the total cost because there were a couple other HOF players on there. I'd be curious to hear what others think of these three autographs - great question.
  • Hi,

I also need a Herber autograph. I have been scanning E-bay for over a year and have not seen a 3X5 for under $400-500. Went to one of the bigger shows a week ago (Chantilly, VA - CSA) and two dealers had them but wanted $550 for the 3X5 and $900 for a picture similar to the one currently listed on E-bay. If anyone has a decent sig that they would sell for under $400, send me a note because I am buying:}. Thanks.

Ken
    There's a handful of PSA/DNA slabbed Guyon 3x5's on eBay right now for the $400 - $600 dollar price and a Slabbed small photo of Herber for $950, and a 74 Fleer Immortal singed by Blood Mcnally that is going for $850.
  • Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but there is a Arnie Herber 3 x 5 card on the current RRAuction that is a 9.5+ , close to a 10. I have bid on it, but, depending how I do HoF weekend, I may or may not bid on it again. The auction ends a couple of days AFTER HoF weekend, and right now it is at 352.00, but for a perfect, clean autograph of someone I rate in the # 18 spot as far as difficulty to obtain, I think you wou would be hard pressed to do better.
  • Rocke,

Thanks for outbidding me.....hope you win it:}. It is very nice, but most Herbers that I have seen are pretty crisp. With the juice and shipping, the bidding is already around $430 and I was only going to go another $50-70 to try and win it. I think I am still high bidder on one more item in that auction.

Ken
    I guess I got a good price on that Herber 3x5 from Lew Lipset in April 2009 - both it and a Paddy Driscoll sold for just under $300 each before the buyers premium - here's the front and back of the small Guyon photo I mentioned