Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• << <i>There's a signed Philadelphia Eagles payroll check on eBay endorsed by Bill Hewitt and written by Bert Bell. The seller is "extremely rare" and the item# is 150427573122. He's got it listed at $2995 or best offer and it has been autnicated by JSA and slabbed by Beckett >>

Hello All
    That is autograph dealer Rich Albersheim from the Philly area. I have bought a few things from Rich, a nice 2 page hand written letter from Lou Rymkus , an unlined 3 x 5 card that is signed, in blue ballpoint pen, right in the CENTER of the card, by, believe it or not, Mike Michalske, who as we all know, was notorious for signing right at the TOP of the card. Honestly, it is the nicest Michalske that I have ever seen. I know I've gotten a couple of others as well. Rich, in my opinion, tends to be a little high priced, but if you have spent some with him in the past, he will work with you price wise.
    SUPER nice pick-up Ed. It is amazing how some people are so clueless about items that they put for sale sometimes. Like with the JOSEPH Carr item last week. Or take a look at Ebay item # 370350949233, that I won last week.
    Oh well...... if I went to sell some Hummel's,then I would be the clueless one LOL,
    I am out the door and heading to Chantilly.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Hey all,

I was told by a well known football autograph dealer to be very weary of those Bill Hewitt endorsed checks. By the way, I have bought lots of great stuff from Rich also. Just spent $200 with him last week. If you are thinking about buying it, feel free to drop me an e-mail/PM for the details.

Ken

Rocke - Hopefully, I will see you tomorrow at the show.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>greg,

watch out i am on your heels again. now i just have to get that letter off to joe. we will see what he has to say. i might have another new addittion, along with most of us, with a rickey jackson if it passes psa/dna. then the owen card once it gets re-labeled.

jay >>

Jay,

Glad to hear. I probably won't add any further cards until after the awards....so you'll likely take over 1st by awards time. I've got a Rickey Jackson signed rc, however I'll wait until Mike Navarro's sub to get it slabbed. I also have a George Allen in a blue flip that I may or may not send in to be switched over to a red flip. Quite frankly I'm annoyed to be forced to spend additional money to change flips. I think that is such a retarded rule...

Besides that, I can't find an addition to the set to save my life. I've had $ sitting on the sidelines for several months now with nothing to buy. I'm confident that one day I'll find another card to add to my set besides new HOFers.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 304 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey all,

I was told by a well known football autograph dealer to be very weary of those Bill Hewitt endorsed checks. By the way, I have bought lots of great stuff from Rich also. Just spent $200 with him last week. If you are thinking about buying it, feel free to drop me an e-mail/PM for the details.

Ken

Rocke - Hopefully, I will see you tomorrow at the show. >>

Ken,
    Could you please expand on this? I picked up a Hewitt/Bell check late last year with JSA authentication for less than $900.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I bought two lots of two Hewitt checks from Huggins and Scott and the price on the second lot was quite a bit lower than the first - my concern was that someone is sitting on a stash of them and is slowly releasing them into the market until the price bottoms out, but lately the flow has stopped - which is the reason I think Rich Albersheim has put one up on eBay.
    I've seen at least 1 signed payroll check that was signed by Hewitt as well as his wife. Is there thought that his wife may have signed his checks? The check I have was originally authenticated and encapsulated by JSA, since I don't like the JSA encapsulation (too big) I cracked it out and sent it to PSA/DNA. PSA/DNA came back as questionable authenticity. I then sent it back to JSA for re-encapsulation.
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking for a Slade Cutter 3x5? $45

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Huggyface - Sent you a PM....

Ken
    I know PSA/DNA once or twice a year does a $10 special. Does anyone know if they ever do better than those prices for larger amounts like 100 or more? I will e-mail them this question, just wanted to see if anyone knows.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Ken,
    Sent you my phone #. Was hoping that you would call me. Joe told me he saw you. I was there until 3:00PM on Sunday. Had my Walt Kiesling letter and Len Ford contract with me. Wanted to get full LOA's for them. I showed both to Phil Marks and Darren ( Livehorn & PSADNA4sale ). They both loved both of them. Had Don Shula sign a 7 x 9 B & W photo from 1951 showing him in a Browns uniform as a player. He LOVED that item. My BEST BUY ? I bought a signed Sammy Baugh throwback jersey, with JSA authentication AND inscribed HOF 63 for $200.00 Only bad part that Phil and Darren were the only two good vintage football autograph dealers there.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Sold Slade Cutter for $35, I have another if anyone wants it, pretty similar. I can post a pic if you would like.

Jim

Rocke,

Post the Rymkus letter!

Jim

• Rocke,

Hey, sorry we missed each other. I was there on Friday night and then on Saturday from 3:30 til close. My wife had me tied up all morning with errands and activities for the kids. I have to say that the show was definitely bigger than it has been in a long time and the dealers were all indicating that they had a good show and the traffic was outstanding. Not sure what to make of that, but I have to think that people spending money on collectibles is a leading indicator of the economy:}.

As you noted, there were just a handful of dealers with pro and college HOF football autographs so not a ton of things for me to buy. That said, I spent most of my time chatting up Phil Marks and showing him some of my recent pickups. He took pictures of a couple of items that he thought were unique. I ended up buying nice Frank Leahy and Lou Little 3X5's from him for a good price that are going in my next PSA/DNA submission. Darren has great stuff, but he has irritated me enough with the last couple of transactions that I have sworn off purchasing from him for a while.

All in all, a good show. Sorry that I did not manage to connect up with you...but there is always July:}.

Ken

I saw a 1920 Naval Academy letter certificate for sale and picked it up for this autograph - Jonas Ingram - interesting man, Navy grad, later coach and athletic director, received the Medal of Honor in 1914, was Commander of the Atlantic Fleet in WWII and after the war was commissioner of the AAFC (after Jim Crowley). He's in the CFHOF

Here are some new pick-ups - Stan Mauldin and Bob 'Hunchy' Hoernschmeyer!

Forgot this one - Ray Apolskis

• wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to sell a Curly Lambeau signed 8" X 10" photo. Lambeau signed across his chest. It does have a full JSA letter. If anyone is interested please let me know or make an offer. The photo is not perfect as it does have some tape fixing a tear on the left side and the back looks like it was removed from a scrap book. Also, Lambeau's autograph is a little light but it does have a full JSA letter.

Ed

So, it has been almost 2 years since some of us talked about our Top 10 or so most wanted. I have been pretty happy with my own results over that time span. How is everyone else doing? Has your top 10 or 20 changed since then?

Here was my list and what I have obtained since posting: Got about 1/2 ....I would add to it: Potsy Jones, Bob Coolbaugh, Rip Engle & any of the 4 Horsemen.

1. Charles W. Follis
    2. Kenny Washington - have
    3. Duke Slater
    4. Tony Latone - have
    5. Bruce Smith (the original one )
    6. Potsy Clark
    7. Chris Cagle
    8. Al Bedner - have
    9. Izzy Weinstock - have
    10. Walter Camp
    11. Les Bingaman
    12. Fred Gehrke - have
    13. Chuck Drazenovich - have
    14. Cecil Isbell
    15. George Gulyanics - have
    16. Bob Hoernschemeyer - have
    17. Blanton Collier - have
    18. Ed Sustersic
    19. Luke Johnsos - have
    20. Corl Zimmerman
    21. Giff Zimmerman

• Hey,

If anyone has a Glenn Presnell, Al Bedner, Francis Schmidt, or Jock Sutherland signature to sell....please let me know. Getting close to sending in my next PSA/DNA submission. Thanks in advance.

Ken

• << <i>So, it has been almost 2 years since some of us talked about our Top 10 or so most wanted. I have been pretty happy with my own results over that time span. How is everyone else doing? Has your top 10 or 20 changed since then?

Here was my list and what I have obtained since posting: Got about 1/2 ....I would add to it: Potsy Jones, Bob Coolbaugh, Rip Engle & any of the 4 Horsemen.

1. Charles W. Follis
    2. Kenny Washington - have
    3. Duke Slater
    4. Tony Latone - have
    5. Bruce Smith (the original one )
    6. Potsy Clark
    7. Chris Cagle
    8. Al Bedner - have
    9. Izzy Weinstock - have
    10. Walter Camp
    11. Les Bingaman
    12. Fred Gehrke - have
    13. Chuck Drazenovich - have
    14. Cecil Isbell
    15. George Gulyanics - have
    16. Bob Hoernschemeyer - have
    17. Blanton Collier - have
    18. Ed Sustersic
    19. Luke Johnsos - have
    20. Corl Zimmerman
    21. Giff Zimmerman >>

Hey Jim,
    I found where you and Greg both posted a list, ( July 1st, 2008 ) but, I didn't, and looking back, I sure wish that I had!!! I know I have filled quite a few holes in the last two years. off of the top of my head, I know that I have picked up:
    1) Elmer Layden
    2) Harry Stuhldreher
    3) Grantland Rice
    4) Len Ford
    5) Walt Kiesling
    6) Bill Hewitt
    7) Curly Lambeau ( which I have since sold )
    8) Cecil Isbell
    9) George Young ( Giants GM )
    10) Fritz Pollard
    I know that I have some other NON- Hall of Famers in my safe deposit box that I have picked up, but I can't remember for sure who are pick-ups in the last two years. Anyway, I am going to work on a "TOP TWENTY WANT LIST " and get this one posted, so I can see what improvement I make in the next year or two.
    Rocke
    The list that I posted back in 2008 was:

Len Ford
    Link Lyman
    Henry Jordan
    Steve Owen
    Jim Thorpe
    George Preston Marshall (if possible)

Since then I have to add Turk Edwards because the one I bought from CJ has been rejected by PSA 3 times plus Greasy Neale since I sold mine to Rube. Of the list above, I'd knocked the following off my list:

Len Ford
    Link Lyman
    Henry Jordan

At this point, I would give up my first born child to find a Steve Owen (just kidding)....but the desperation is mounting image

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    now that I know there are a bunch of fellow packer fans/collectors that follow this thread i will have to post my list as well. need to update my list first.

as for HOF autos (i am look for signed cards) here is what i need.

The hard but out there auto's:
    Len Ford
    Dan Reeves
    Turk Edwards
    Jim Thorpe

The nearly impossibles:
    George Preston Marshall
    Tim Mara

The Impossibles:
    Charles Bidwell
    Joe Carr
    Guy Chamberlin
    Joe Guyon
    Wilbur Henry
    Bill Hewitt
    Walt Kiesling
    Fritz Pollard
    Hugh Ray

I will post my top Packers list tomorrow.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>now that I know there are a bunch of fellow packer fans/collectors that follow this thread i will have to post my list as well. need to update my list first.

as for HOF autos (i am look for signed cards) here is what i need.

The hard but out there auto's:
    Len Ford
    Dan Reeves
    Turk Edwards
    Jim Thorpe

The nearly impossibles:
    George Preston Marshall
    Tim Mara

The Impossibles:
    Charles Bidwell
    Joe Carr
    Guy Chamberlin
    Joe Guyon
    Wilbur Henry
    Bill Hewitt
    Walt Kiesling
    Fritz Pollard
    Hugh Ray

I will post my top Packers list tomorrow. >>

Jay,

I think that Walt Kiesling would be possible on a 1956 Topps Steelers team card and Paddy Driscoll (although not on your list) would be possible on a 1958 Topps Bears team card.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Did anyone here buy the 2002 Legendary Cuts Turk Edwards auto'd card? The final hammer was ~ $1100.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Did anyone here buy the 2002 Legendary Cuts Turk Edwards auto'd card? The final hammer was ~ $1100.

Zero feedback bidder was the winner.image

What irks me a bit is that the seller sent out emails to the previous bidders first offering the card at his reserve, and when no one accepted, notifying that the card would be up for auction with no reserve. Also, that no zero feedback bids would be accepted.

Not only were zero feedback bids accepted, they were from the same two zero feedback bidders from the previous auction.image

We'll see if another auction materializesimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    I'm going to go with my top 20 want list which will hopefully help me land some of these!

Cards

1) Steve Owen- 1952 Bowman Auto or 2002 SP Cuts Auto
    2) Len Ford- 1955 Topps, 1957 Topps Auto or 2002 SP Cuts Auto
    3) Jimmy Conzelman- 2001 F/X Cuts Auto
    4) Jim Thorpe- Any Cuts or 1933 Sport Kings Auto
    5) Ernie Nevers-1955 Topps All American Auto
    6) Joe Stydahar- 1952 Bowman Auto
    7) Wayne Millner- 1952 Bowman Auto
    8) Jack Christiansen-1952 Bowman Auto
    9) Emlen Tunnell- 1951 Bowman Auto
    10) Norm Van Brocklin- 1951 Bowman Auto
    11) Leo Nomellini- 1948 Leaf Auto
    12) Red Grange-1933 Sport Kings Auto
    13) Sid Luckman-1948 Bowman or Leaf Auto
    14) Bob Waterfield- 1948 Leaf Auto
    15) Bobby Layne-1948 Leaf Auto
    16) Elroy Hrisch- 1950 Bowman Auto
    17) Doak Walker-1948 Leaf Auto
    18) Frank Gatski- 1955 Bowman Auto
    19) Doug Atkins- 1953 Bowman Auto
    20) George Connor-1948 Leaf Auto

Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    From what I have seen everyone here mostly collects signed major mfg HOF signed cards, wow what a chore trying to find most of them and the $$$ it costs to find them.....I've just been happy to collect HOF autographs on any media. My hat is off to you guys, my collection will never rival anyone's out here. I mostly get my stuff authenicated by JSA, they give me a great price, I think for auth and slabbing but I don't get many items graded. Probably my best accomplishment is finishing the 1975 Fleer Immortal set getting all of the possible 60 out of 84 cards signed. The toughest card was the Sid Luckmna card, which I was finally able to get from Ron Gordon. I tried Phil Marks and several other large dealers but no one seemed to have a good one.

<< <i>From what I have seen everyone here mostly collects signed major mfg HOF signed cards, wow what a chore trying to find most of them and the $$$ it costs to find them.....I've just been happy to collect HOF autographs on any media. My hat is off to you guys, my collection will never rival anyone's out here. I mostly get my stuff authenicated by JSA, they give me a great price, I think for auth and slabbing but I don't get many items graded. Probably my best accomplishment is finishing the 1975 Fleer Immortal set getting all of the possible 60 out of 84 cards signed. The toughest card was the Sid Luckmna card, which I was finally able to get from Ron Gordon. I tried Phil Marks and several other large dealers but no one seemed to have a good one. >>

You are right most of us collect auto'd cards. Yes its tough with the hard ones. Most are easy though. I am more of a card collector so that made the choice easier for me. Like my choice to start a set of auto'd cards of all players that have caught a TD from Favre. Well that was bright until I found out that K. Taylor (aka 92 Cincy game) only has a Jogo card, R. Martin has a short print rookie with the Chargers that I can never track down (same Playoff set as the R Grant rookie) and now the fullback from the Vikes doesnt have a card at all. I guess I will have to try to send them all generic team cards to sign. But I have also branched out to 8x10's for this as well. Have Taylor and Martin as 8x10's.

However, there are many others that just focus on auto's of any kind. I have a mixed collection that I am working on for My All-Time Packer Scorers Auto'd set. I have cards, 8x10's, cuts, helmets, tickets and even a Bart Starr signed Miller Coaster.

I wonder...maybe we should start a Packer auto thread somewhere. I know there are quite a few Packer collectors out here.

Do you know of any other Packer auto groups at all out on the net?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>From what I have seen everyone here mostly collects signed major mfg HOF signed cards, wow what a chore trying to find most of them and the $$$ it costs to find them.....I've just been happy to collect HOF autographs on any media. My hat is off to you guys, my collection will never rival anyone's out here. I mostly get my stuff authenicated by JSA, they give me a great price, I think for auth and slabbing but I don't get many items graded. Probably my best accomplishment is finishing the 1975 Fleer Immortal set getting all of the possible 60 out of 84 cards signed. The toughest card was the Sid Luckmna card, which I was finally able to get from Ron Gordon. I tried Phil Marks and several other large dealers but no one seemed to have a good one. >>

That's great that you have a complete 75 IR set (of the 60 possible). I also have a complete set which I bought from Jack Wallin. The Luckman that I bought from Jack was rejected by PSA, however Jack swears that its good. He got most of his cards signed in the 75 to 78 timeframe which he believes is before Luckman began using a secretary to sign autograph requests.

I also have a complete 77 Touchdown set that I bought from Jack - many of which can be seen in my HOF auto set.

What's funny is that the Luckman that you bought from Ron Gordon likely came from Jack. I talked w/ Jack recently and he told me that he sold a huge lot of auto'd cards to Ron last year. From what I understand, Ron turned around and sold a big part of that purchase to the card companies. Therefore, when you see old 75 IR cards chopped up and slabbed on "cut" auto cards in the recent and upcoming modern sets - most of those originated from Jack's collection.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Did anyone here buy the 2002 Legendary Cuts Turk Edwards auto'd card? The final hammer was ~ $1100.

Zero feedback bidder was the winner.image

What irks me a bit is that the seller sent out emails to the previous bidders first offering the card at his reserve, and when no one accepted, notifying that the card would be up for auction with no reserve. Also, that no zero feedback bids would be accepted.

Not only were zero feedback bids accepted, they were from the same two zero feedback bidders from the previous auction.image

We'll see if another auction materializesimage >>

Frank,

CJ has been trying to sell that card for at least 2 years. He started out setting a $4k BIN and has walked the price down to $2k which hasn't budged in over a year. I actually e-mailed him to see if he would accept a lower price, however he claims that he has a firm offer just below his old reserve price (i.e. $2k). I think that he's full of crap and is just fishing at this point. It doesn't surprise me that a zero feedback bidder won the card....that is par for the course for CJ.

What's funny is that the Turk is a $750 to $1000 card (which I would pay in a heartbeat). He's dreaming if he thinks that he'll get $2k for it.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>I'm going to go with my top 20 want list which will hopefully help me land some of these!

Cards

Reese >>

Reese,

I have #2 and #3 on your list...in case you didn't know image

I'm surprised there aren't more signed 48 Leaf cards out there. I know someone who has a couple of signed HOF rc's from the 48 Leaf set (Connor and Turner), however I have never seen signed 48 Leaf of the guys on your list.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm going to go with my top 20 want list which will hopefully help me land some of these!

Cards

Reese >>

Reese,

I have #2 and #3 on your list...in case you didn't know image

I'm surprised there aren't more signed 48 Leaf cards out there. I know someone who has a couple of signed HOF rc's from the 48 Leaf set (Connor and Turner), however I have never seen signed 48 Leaf of the guys on your list.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Hi Greg,

I'm very familiar with you set! But thanks for rubbing it in! LOL Don't you forget I have Greasy and Turk! image

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Reese,

Trust me - I'm all too aware of your Neale and Turk....although I still wonder whether the Turk is good because I have one that I bought from CJ that looks exactly like yours (which you also bought from CJ) and yours was slabbed while mine has been rejected by PSA/DNA 3 times.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Hi Greg....I also bought several cards from Jack and my Luckman that cards that I bought from Jack were also turned down by JSA...the one I got from Ron is signed differently and I got a "probably good" from JSA, I also showed it to Paul Marks but I didn't realize that he works for PSA so all he would say is that Ron knows his stuff, so that was good enough for me, it's currently at JSA now. I trust what Jack says but I have some other signed items by Luckman and they all look like Jack's card. I'll let you know if my card passes JSA and I'll post an image.
  • CJ has been trying to sell that card for at least 2 years. He started out setting a $4k BIN and has walked the price down to $2k which hasn't budged in over a year. I actually e-mailed him to see if he would accept a lower price, however he claims that he has a firm offer just below his old reserve price (i.e. $2k). I think that he's full of crap and is just fishing at this point. It doesn't surprise me that a zero feedback bidder won the card....that is par for the course for CJ.

I told my co-worker the details of what went on during these 2 auctions. He was livid and couldn't believe UKRedskins could get away with it. He was pushing me to report him to Ebay and get him banned. For a non-collector like him, it was obviuos that the auctions were being shilled.

For me, I could care less.

Sellers here and on Ebay know I'm a legit and solid buyer. I usually pay within minutes of an auction ending and am very easy to work with when problems occur.
    If I don't feel I'm being treated fairly, I walk away from a deal and NEVER buy from that person again.

Although these T. Edwards auctions reek, I know what I'm willing to pay, and won't be induced to paying $1 more.
    to end all the speculatioin about the edwards auction being bad. i was the winner with zero feedback. its a new account of mine.

i was blocked from bidding since i didnt have any feedback, until i emailed CJ and told him that though i have no feedback that i have won other of his auctions from him but he didnt leave any feedback for me.

the auction was done properly. and the card is on its way to me.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Good for you Jay and unfortunately too bad for CJ. I was prepared to set my snipe higher, but as soon as I saw that zero feedback bidders were being allowed (after he stated he wouldn't accept them), I wasn't going to play any more games. I didn't need the card that bad, and it seems he didn't need the extra money.
    Congrats Jay. What's funny is that he would have been better off accepting my offer. So much for common sense.

Greg M.

References:
    i think we all have made him offers for that card over the last few years that would have made him more than he finally got at auction. more than likely the offers you, frank and I submitted were probably in the same line.

i know frank is working on that cut set, so if you find me another turk we can work something out.

i might have more news in the next few weeks as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • i think we all have made him offers for that card over the last few years that would have made him more than he finally got at auction.

Actually my offer to CJ was a few days before the auction went live. He approached me with what he wanted ($1500) and my price was slightly above where the auction ended.
    The fact that he said he wouldn't accept zero feedback bidders gave me confidence that the auction wouldn't be bid up my shills. I set my snipe at $1400. When I saw that zero feedback bidders were being accepted, than I felt his word couldn't be trusted and I lowered my snipe.
    So the offers he received were all recent and solid, not 1 or 2 year offers. Ironically, after 2 years of trying to get top dollar for the card, he ended up getting less by not honoring his word.

I do also want to point out in fairness that I have dealt with CJ in the past and never had a problem. Not a lot of deals or communication mind you, but all were positive.

<< <i>i think we all have made him offers for that card over the last few years that would have made him more than he finally got at auction.

Actually my offer to CJ was a few days before the auction went live. He approached me with what he wanted ($1500) and my price was slightly above where the auction ended.
    The fact that he said he wouldn't accept zero feedback bidders gave me confidence that the auction wouldn't be bid up my shills. I set my snipe at $1400. When I saw that zero feedback bidders were being accepted, than I felt his word couldn't be trusted and I lowered my snipe.
    So the offers he received were all recent and solid, not 1 or 2 year offers. Ironically, after 2 years of trying to get top dollar for the card, he ended up getting less by not honoring his word.

I do also want to point out in fairness that I have dealt with CJ in the past and never had a problem. Not a lot of deals or communication mind you, but all were positive. >>

well he said in the listing that he would take bids from zero feedback bidders only after they had emailed him. which i did.

as for the closing price. it was in line with what i had offered him over one year ago. i have dealt with CJ before as well and never had any problems either. the big part of the problem was that he hadnt left me any feedback for about the last 6-8 auctions that i had won from him over the last few months since i opened a second account. i was hoping to score some feedback to start selling some stuff off another id insead of the same id that i have been buying stuff on.

i will have to start using this new account for more purchases of different things than i would normally sell.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>Reese,

Trust me - I'm all too aware of your Neale and Turk....although I still wonder whether the Turk is good because I have one that I bought from CJ that looks exactly like yours (which you also bought from CJ) and yours was slabbed while mine has been rejected by PSA/DNA 3 times.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

I think that argument can be made for any card in a PSA/DNA holder in which the signing wasn't witnessed by yourself. I obviously hope everything I have in PSA holders is legit, but really there is no way to be 100% positive. The few people I've shown the Turk to seem to think it's legit.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Jay,

It appears that I'll be dethroned soon... My reign at the top was enjoyable while it lasted. I can't find anything for my set to save my life...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Jay,

It appears that I'll be dethroned soon... My reign at the top was enjoyable while it lasted. I can't find anything for my set to save my life...

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

greg,

while not unless i get to the 95% mark. otherwise there wont be any awards though i still could have the top spot.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Hello All,
    Well, first of all, I hope that you all have had a nice Easter Sunday with your families.
    2nd, after feeding the tiny gerbil that spins the microscopic wheel that helps make my brain move, I have come up with my "TOP TWENTY AUTOGRAPH WANT LIST" as of today, with a couple of notations to go with a few of them. Here goes:
    1) Hugh "Shorty" Ray
    2) Charles Bidwill
    3) Tim Mara
    4) Joe Carr or " Joseph" Carr
    5) Chic Harley - Greatest football player in history at The Ohio State University
    6) Earl "Curly" Lambeau - I recently sold the one I had at a nice profit to a local collector
    7) Don Miller - Notre Dame Four Horsemen
    8) Jim Crowley- " " " "
    9) Ernie Davis
    10) Duke Slater
    11) Al Blozis
    12) LaVern Dilweg
    13) Brian Piccolo
    14) Don Fleming - All NFL safety 1962 for the Browns. Died June 4th,1963 at age 26. Died just weeks after Ernie Davis died. TRAGIC off season for the Browns that year.
    15) Mac Speedie
    16) Dick Barwegan
    17) Bob Ferguson - The Ohio State running back legend. Runner-up to Ernie Davis for the Heisman. NEVER had a SINGLE carry for yardage loss in his CAREER !!! Died in 2004
    18) Turk Edwards - Have to find a much nicer 3 x 5 card. The one autograph that MUST be upgraded.
    19) Hunk Anderson
    20) Alan Ameche
    I know a couple of these are on Ebay, ( Anderson, Ameche ) but, they are not on the medium, or quality that I want. If I can get 3 of them this year, I would be happy.
    Rocke
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rocke! Got enough BBQ left for one more sandwich.....Also,here are the recent numbers of broken GLA sets: 58,61,69,71,92,94,97,99. Hope you can add some of these to the list.
  • Hey Joe......Where you goin' with that gun in your hand? ..... Love that song !!!!
    Anyway, I already had those #'s all crossed off. I am still at 48 sets x'd out.
    Rocke
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Here is a nice signed football piece currently up for auction on Robert Edwards. I'm almost certain that someone on this forum was looking for Earl Potteiger. Besides Potteiger there are sigs of Steve Owen, Joe Guyon, Eddie Tryon, Cal Hubbard, Glenn Killinger, Century Milstead and some baseball player by the name of "Gehrig" :-)

Hope someone on this forum picks it up.

<< <i>Here is a nice signed football piece currently up for auction on Robert Edwards. I'm almost certain that someone on this forum was looking for Earl Potteiger. Besides Potteiger there are sigs of Steve Owen, Joe Guyon, Eddie Tryon, Cal Hubbard, Glenn Killinger, Century Milstead and some baseball player by the name of "Gehrig" :-)
    >>

I've been looking for Potteiger - thanks for the heads up, I've put in a bid, but probably won't be able to go the distance with so many other autographs involved -

As for last year my big pickups were Carr, Hewitt, Pollard, and Heffelfinger. Looking for Potteiger, Dilweg, Ray, and early Yale stars Gill and Beecher
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Here are some of the better autographs I've obtained this year. Hopefully a Duke Slater, Chic Harley or Charles D. Daly sig will be added to this list within the next year. - Mark

Frank Thomas - Alabama coach

T. Truxtun Hare - Penn class 1900. Inaugural member CFHOF. Signed while in prep school.

John R. Dewitt - Princeton class 1904. Died 1930. Some consider Princeton's greatest player.