Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• << <i>Rocke,

Do you respond to PM's? Or do you have an email that I can use to ask you a sensitive question?

Jay >>

Jay, I have sent you a PM. For anyone that does want to Email me though, Since we got a new computer we also got a new Email address. sweanes@live.com
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    FYI....

For those looking for a Russ Letlow autograph - There is a signed card by the 1936 Packers team on ebay, with a starting bid of $2500. (#300394113296). It contains the sigs of John Blood, Lambeau, Hinkle, Herber........ and Letlow.

Mark

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    that is a great piece.

it would go along way with my all time packer scorers auto set. its an auto set for everyone that has scored at least one point for the packers over their 90 years.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    there is also a lambeau letter up as well. also a nice 66 NFL Championship game program signed too.

so nice packer stuff up this week for sure!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    for those following the Auto Card set's, I will have a new addition to unveil in the near future. i have to send it off to PSA and get it back first.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I tend to think that the Lambeau letter is secretarial signed (though the letterhead is pretty sweet).

Bart

• << <i>I tend to think that the Lambeau letter is secretarial signed (though the letterhead is pretty sweet).

Bart >>

Bart, The check, as they say, is in the mail. Also, I saw that guy at the restaurant today. His name is John Lowrey, and he told me to tell you "hello"
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Hey,

The seller on that Lambeau indicates in the auction that it is a secretarial.....otherwise I would have been biddingimage.

Ken
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    How long does it take for the new guys to get added?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

<< <i>How long does it take for the new guys to get added? >>

Anyone, Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone, Anyone?

It appears they were added to the HOF RC set early last week. Does the change need to be requested for this set?

Commissions

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I think that someone will need to request the new additions. I can send the request if nobody else has already.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>I think that someone will need to request the new additions. I can send the request if nobody else has already.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Go for it.

Commissions

• Hello All.
    Saw a pretty neat item coming uo on Heritage Auctions April 2010 Auction. It is a 10" x 19.5" Team signed photo of the 1929 NFL Champion Green Bay Packers. Write-up says it is signed by 22 out of 23 players in the picture, lacking only John "blood" McNally. It DOES include sigs. of Curly Lambeau, Mike Michalske, Cal Hubbard, and Lavvie Dilweg. Not all of the signers are named in the description, but, to be honest, not being a Packer expert from the 1920's, I don't recognize the other names they do list. Says the only other known example of a 1929 signed team photo resides in the Packer Hall of Fame.
    Better break open the piggy bank, Jay !!!!
    Rocke
    what is the min bid.

i guess i will have to open up an account with them now.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Rocke e-mailed this photo to me - I would love to hear the story behind it.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Hello All,

Thanks Greg for posting that picture. Rod sent me that picture from one that he had taken from an Ebay profile a few years ago. When he sent it to me , I was stunned. What an item, and what a signature !!!!! Rod, is NOT the owner of it though. I have been Emailing with the owner for the last week or so, I wanted to get his permission before the picture was posted and I disclosed who owned it. Originally, he said go ahead and post the picture and use his name. However, I just got an Email from him, and he told me that he has joined this forum, and will be posting shortly. Some of you may know him. I haven't met him , yet, but I hope that he, and some of you that I haven't met yet make the trip here to the Hall of Fame city one of these days to visit and see The hall of Fame. This person has sent me a couple of other pictures of some of his other autographs. Wait till you see them. Just ANOTHER OUTSTANDING collection for us to drool on !!!!!
    I am sure he will be another great contributor to this thread.
    Rocke

• << <i>what is the min bid.

i guess i will have to open up an account with them now. >>

It's not listed yet on their website as of yet. They just have listed that the auction will begin approx. April 2nd, 2010 and 1/2 of the items will end on April 22nd and 1/2 of the items will end on April 23rd.
    They are a really good company to have an account with. I have won a good part of my collection from Heritage.
    Rocke

• << <i>Hello All,

Thanks Greg for posting that picture. Rod sent me that picture from one that he had taken from an Ebay profile a few years ago. When he sent it to me , I was stunned. What an item, and what a signature !!!!! Rod, is NOT the owner of it though. I have been Emailing with the owner for the last week or so, I wanted to get his permission before the picture was posted and I disclosed who owned it. Originally, he said go ahead and post the picture and use his name. However, I just got an Email from him, and he told me that he has joined this forum, and will be posting shortly. Some of you may know him. I haven't met him , yet, but I hope that he, and some of you that I haven't met yet make the trip here to the Hall of Fame city one of these days to visit and see The hall of Fame. This person has sent me a couple of other pictures of some of his other autographs. Wait till you see them. Just ANOTHER OUTSTANDING collection for us to drool on !!!!!
    I am sure he will be another great contributor to this thread.
    Rocke >>

Hello everybody,

I have been reading this forum thread for about a year. I love seeing the new items and all of the back and forth comments between collectors. I had been thinking about joining this forum, but it was only after Rocke e-mailed me did I decide to join and see if I could contribute in any way. I have been collecting Pro Football HOF autographs for about 20 years and have put together a nice collection. I focus mainly on Green Bay Packers autographs including Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau.

Yes, I am the owner of 1952 Wilbur Henry signed drivers license. Back in 2002 Leland's auction house had what I feel was one of best auctions to date for HOF football autographs. The collection they were auctioning had come from one person that had been collecting autographs for over 30 years. The auction listing only had the picture of the drivers license and only mentioned the extras in the description. I feel the letter from Mrs. Henry adds to the item. I will be posting more in the future and I look forward to talking with guys more down the road.

Ed Wolfe
  • Welsome aboard ED. I look forward to reading your posts.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Hey All,

Here is one of my recent pick-ups. A 1934 College All Star team signed sheet. It has Fred Hecker (Perdue), Ed Krause (Notre Dame), Feathers & Cliff Montgomery.

I think the Mickey Vuchnich autograph is probably the 'toughest' autograph in the lot.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Jim,

Nice pickup! Cliff Montgomery is on my E-bay search list right now. He was famous for the "KF-79" play in the 1934 Rose Bowl. There is a nice passage about him in the book "This Was Football" by Pudge Heffelfinger which I have been reading.

Ken

Ed - Welcome to the boards! Looking forward to seeing pieces from your collection.
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Ken-

I have a pair of extra Montgomery...one in pencil on a piece of paper attached to an index card (they erased the name underneath it, but it is more vintage) and then some sort of roller pen, with a slight ink smudge on the e, if interested.

Bart
    bdbop@aol.com
  • Hello All,

Ed, Glad you decided to join. Before I joined, I know I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, and seeing the autographs that they had. BUT, I have definitely enjoyed it much more being a small part of the group, and getting to meet a few of them. One of these days, I do need to learn how to post pictures though!!!
    As I said in a previous post, Ed has Emailed me a couple of other pictures of a couple of his items. Just wait till you see, and read " The Letter "
    Rocke
    Welcome Ed - welcome to our dysfunctional family image

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Yes, welcome indeed Ed. We always need more Packer focused colletors here!!!

I might have many questions for you. You might have read (or not), that for the celebration of the 90th year of Packer football I started a new collection. That would be an auto of all players that have scored a point or more for the team. Based on my research from the Packer's record books on line there are about 450 give or take a few. I have well over 130 already (my strange collection of Favre things was a good start as I am working on a set of auto's of every player he has throw a TD pass too). I might need some insight and advice on many of the older guys.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Rocke,

I think I figured out my little Jim Thorpe mystery with a bit of internet sleuthing and seeing the back of the ticket stub. Here are pictures of my autographed Jim Thorpe ticket stub on which someone wrote "Jim Thorpe & Sportsman's Show 1952":

Here is a scan of a show guide that I bought from an internet book dealer:

Inside the guide it does not mention Jim Thorpe directly, but does indicate that "it has assembled the most colorful group of sport champions ever presented for the entertainment of sport show fans in this part of the country." It also mentions various Indian tribes giving exhibitions. My guess is that Mr. Thorpe was a guest at the show and asked by an exhibitor to sign his ticket stub on the 4th day of the show (March 31st, 1952).

Ken
    FYI - I started a new HOF auto set on the registry - with only signed rcs. I've been debating whether we should start a new set - with only rookie cards in the composite. Thoughts anyone?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

• << <i>Rocke,

I think I figured out my little Jim Thorpe mystery with a bit of internet sleuthing and seeing the back of the ticket stub. Here are pictures of my autographed Jim Thorpe ticket stub on which someone wrote "Jim Thorpe & Sportsman's Show 1952":

Here is a scan of a show guide that I bought from an internet book dealer:

Inside the guide it does not mention Jim Thorpe directly, but does indicate that "it has assembled the most colorful group of sport champions ever presented for the entertainment of sport show fans in this part of the country." It also mentions various Indian tribes giving exhibitions. My guess is that Mr. Thorpe was a guest at the show and asked by an exhibitor to sign his ticket stub on the 4th day of the show (March 31st, 1952).

Ken >>

Ken,

Considering what you found out, and the fact that I am from Northeast Ohio, that REALLY elevates your Thorpe in my book.
    Just a little history : That show is still going on in Cleveland. It's title now is " The Cleveland Sport, Travel, and Outdoor Show " This year was the 73rd annual, and just happened this past weekend Feb. 11th - 14th. For as long as I can remember, it has been at the IX Center, where the four National Autograph, and Collector shows have been. This year it moved to The Great Lakes Expo Center. One of these days , when I have some time that I don't know what to do with, I might run down to the Main Branch of the Stark County Library. They have The Cleveland Plain Dealer ( newspaper ) on microfilm. Might have to look that event up.
    Rocke
    I have an extra Johnny Druze signed 3x5 for sale or trade. Selling it for $45 or if you have another 7 Blocks of Granite guy with similar condition, I would consider a trade.

The other, Sam 'Salemi' Dana 1927 N.Y Yankees $20

I have these HOF auto's for sale if anyone is interested.

Rgs,

Greg M.

Ron Yary $10 (not certified, but guaranteed authentic)
    Lance Alworth $20 (not certified, but guaranteed authentic)
    Ditka $60 (certified)
    Staubach $100 (certified #'d/25 - very tough card!)

References:

• << <i>I have an extra Johnny Druze signed 3x5 for sale or trade. Selling it for $45 or if you have another 7 Blocks of Granite guy with similar condition, I would consider a trade.

The other, Sam 'Salemi' Dana 1927 N.Y Yankees $20

image >>

Hey Jim,
    I have sent you a PM
    Rocke

• << <i>Hello All,

Ed, Glad you decided to join. Before I joined, I know I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, and seeing the autographs that they had. BUT, I have definitely enjoyed it much more being a small part of the group, and getting to meet a few of them. One of these days, I do need to learn how to post pictures though!!!
    As I said in a previous post, Ed has Emailed me a couple of other pictures of a couple of his items. Just wait till you see, and read " The Letter "
    Rocke >>

Hi everyone again,

Most people have Walter Kiesling on their wantlist as well as I do. I wanted to share from my collection a 1947 2 page hand written letter by Walter Kiesling. This letter was sent to fellow HOF member, Johnny "Blood" McNally when he was stationed in Guam. I have also included a picture of the envelope. It has great football content and mentions E.L. Lambeau and Mike Michalske. I have never seen or heard of another hand written letter of Kiesling. To bad he only signed it "Walt". Any thoughts on value?? PSA/DNA has given there full approval with a LOA.

Thanks,
    Ed
    imageimageimage

• << <i>

<< <i>Hello All,

Rocke >>

Hi everyone again,

Most people have Walter Kiesling on their wantlist as well as I do. I wanted to share from my collection a 1947 2 page hand written letter by Walter Kiesling. This letter was sent to fellow HOF member, Johnny "Blood" McNally when he was stationed in Guam. I have also included a picture of the envelope. It has great football content and mentions E.L. Lambeau and Mike Michalske. I have never seen or heard of another hand written letter of Kiesling. To bad he only signed it "Walt". Any thoughts on value?? PSA/DNA has given there full approval with a LOA.

Thanks,
    Ed >>

I need to work on my photos. Sorry if you have a hard time reading the letter.
    Ed,

What an amazing letter! I was stationed in Guam from 2006-2008, so to see any football memorabilia with a Guam connection is special to me. I deal mostly with pre-ww1 college football autographs, so my estimate may be a bit off. However I'd place a value of $2000-2500 on the piece....maybe more if you had a sentimental fool like me bidding on it.

Thanks again for sharing.

Mark
  • Hey all,

Wanted to share my latest pickup - Dan Reeves 3x5 (Rams Owner, D. 1971):

This one leaves me a total of 13 short. Thanks to Kirk Welch for another great transaction.

Ken
    Nice Ken - I picked this up recently. Son of Amos Alonzo...

• Hi All,

I wanted to share my 1963 HOF signed program. I would like to know if anybody else has seen one with all 11 hall of fame members signed on the cover? To bad George Preston Marshall had a stroke before the induction.

Ed

• Hi All,

Won this Henry Jordan check the other night in the Touchdown Treasures auction. If you notice the date on the check, it was the day Henry Jordan died. A little creepy but also a little bit cool as well. I heard the family sold about 300 Henry Jordan signed checks to one person. Has anybody heard any news about this?? Before these checks surfaced, Jordan's autograph was tough but not now.

Ed

• Ed,

The market on Henry Jordan autographs has definitely plummeted. I struggled to find one for under $400-$450 about 8 months ago and now they are regularly listed on E-bay in the $200-$250 range. Thanks for scanning that letter...it is an incredible item.

Ken

• << <i>Hi All,

Won this Henry Jordan check the other night in the Touchdown Treasures auction. If you notice the date on the check, it was the day Henry Jordan died. A little creepy but also a little bit cool as well. I heard the family sold about 300 Henry Jordan signed checks to one person. Has anybody heard any news about this?? Before these checks surfaced, Jordan's autograph was tough but not now.

Ed

image >>

Hey Ed,
    WOW !!! THAT is one neat item!!! No proof, but that easily could be the last time Henry signed his name. Ed had sent me a scan of that Kiesling letter to John McNally. I knew everyone would like that. First I've seen that ' 63 Hall of Fame program. That is the 1st program that I have seen with all eleven autographs on the cover. Not sure, but I think the one that Rev. Mike has, has 10. If I remember the missing sig. is Earl " Dutch " Clark.
    WOW !!! THAT is one neat item!!!

• << <i> I wanted to share from my collection a 1947 2 page hand written letter by Walter Kiesling. This letter was sent to fellow HOF member, Johnny "Blood" McNally when he was stationed in Guam. I have also included a picture of the envelope. It has great football content and mentions E.L. Lambeau and Mike Michalske. I have never seen or heard of another hand written letter of Kiesling. To bad he only signed it "Walt". Any thoughts on value?? PSA/DNA has given there full approval with a LOA. >>

I suppose everyone has a different reaction, but the value of that letter is less in my estimation because of the off hand use of nig ger (which I put a space in because it is a prohibited word on the forum). Both McNally and Kiesling were teammates with my father on the 1928 Pottsville Maroons, and I'm sure my father was capable of a similar turn of phrase, but I wouldn't want it in writing. Beside Kiesling, the other members of the 1928 Pottsville team that I'm trying to find are Budd, Carpe, Ernst, Goodwin, Kenneally, Latone, Norman and Rooney.

This was on eBay and didn't make the reserve, but the seller gave me a second chance offer and I took it.

• Rev,

The lack of a full signature would downgrade the value in my opinion also. It's the way I feel about all of the "GPM" stuff for George Preston Marshall....I just wouldn't buy it because I want a full signature (maybe I am just a painimage. That said, it still is an amazing find and very cool. Thanks again to Ed for posting some of his collection.

Ken

P.S. I am working on Pottsville sigs also and just picked up Herb Stein and Dick Rauch. If I come across any you need, I will definitely let you know.
    I agree about the Kiesling letter. I didn't read it threw when I first saw it, I just jumped to the autograph. Then a few days later I read it. I was surprised to see the N word. I guess it is the way some talked back then. I thought Jacobs was of Indian decent? Wasn't his nickname 'Indian Jack'? Anyway, nice letter sands the N word.

<< <i>I agree about the Kiesling letter. I didn't read it threw when I first saw it, I just jumped to the autograph. Then a few days later I read it. I was surprised to see the N word. I guess it is the way some talked back then. I thought Jacobs was of Indian decent? Wasn't his nickname 'Indian Jack'? Anyway, nice letter sands the N word. >>

well you have to remember the times. unfortunately we cant back correct for those things. just like "black face" actors and dancers. it was what it was. i am sure 50-100 years from now people wont be using the same pharses that we do thinking that we were all insensitive hicks as well. for awhile it was acceptable to call african-americans negros...but that is no longer the case. not to mention pharses that were used to call italian-americans, irish-americans, etc not that long ago. i guess all of our ancestors were a bunch of insensitive people....or we have morphed into ultra-sensitive people....or more enlightened.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    I agree with Radke....one must not apply our standards and meaning of words today against those used over 80 years ago! Huckleberry Finn was one of my favorite books as a kid and includes that racial slur throughout regarding Jim. I think no less of this book today. Now if a book, or letter in this case, was written today with such language I would be offended.

• Yes, you're right about different standards - and I guess I wouldn't have the same reaction if he said " he has a little mick in him" I'm not saying this to judge the guy, my point is only that, for me, I would pay huge bucks for that letter, but the appeal is less with that content and I'd only pay big bucks for it. I have bought several great items from Ed, but Kiesling is still on the "want list."

• << <i>

<< <i> I wanted to share from my collection a 1947 2 page hand written letter by Walter Kiesling. This letter was sent to fellow HOF member, Johnny "Blood" McNally when he was stationed in Guam. I have also included a picture of the envelope. It has great football content and mentions E.L. Lambeau and Mike Michalske. I have never seen or heard of another hand written letter of Kiesling. To bad he only signed it "Walt". Any thoughts on value?? PSA/DNA has given there full approval with a LOA. >>

I suppose everyone has a different reaction, but the value of that letter is less in my estimation because of the off hand use of nig ger (which I put a space in because it is a prohibited word on the forum). Both McNally and Kiesling were teammates with my father on the 1928 Pottsville Maroons, and I'm sure my father was capable of a similar turn of phrase, but I wouldn't want it in writing. Beside Kiesling, the other members of the 1928 Pottsville team that I'm trying to find are Budd, Carpe, Ernst, Goodwin, Kenneally, Latone, Norman and Rooney.

This was on eBay and didn't make the reserve, but the seller gave me a second chance offer and I took it.

image >>

Hi Mike,

I love the book. Very nice pick up.

I also was a little shocked when I first read the letter and saw the "N" word. I also agree back then the times were different in regards to racial relations. The first black player to play for the Green Bay Packers was not until 1950!! If you look past that word you would have to admit the letter is as rare as they come. I have been collecting Green Bay Packer items for over 20 years and only have come across a handful of Walter Kiesling autographs. I do appreciate everybody's input and options that's what makes this forum great.

Ed

• << <i>Hey all,

Wanted to share my latest pickup - Dan Reeves 3x5 (Rams Owner, D. 1971):

This one leaves me a total of 13 short. Thanks to Kirk Welch for another great transaction.

Ken >>

Hey Ken,

Nice pickup on the Dan Reeves. I saw it on eBay, but I was to late to bid.

Congrats,
    Ed
  • Many Thanks to Bart ( bdbop ). He recently sold me one of the Carl Stork cancelled checks from one of the recent Huggins & Scott auctions. I still need two former NFL commisioners, ' 63 Charter Hall of Fame member Joe Carr, and former Four Horsemen of Notre Dame member Elmer Layden.
    Rocke