Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Rocke,

I sent you an email did you get it?
  • Hello All,
    Yes Dave,
    Sorry, I can be VERY bad about not going through, and then, not responding to Emails. You have a WAY better memory than I do, but, I am sure that you are "spot on" concerning me. I do work at Fishers, and I was at the first annual Stark County Football Hall of Fame Induction dinner with my wife. I have not went back to the dinner, but I would like to try to make it this year, since I do remember Mark Murphy ( GlenOak - GreenBay Packers ) from High School. And it is pretty cool that this year, all of the inductees ended up playing in the NFL. We definitely have to hook up soon.
    Ken, You are not kidding about " you win some, you lose some " Before I went out to do my local running around to day, before I go to work this afternoon, just for the heck of it, I stuck in a $188.00 bid on that ' 09 RAZOR Elmer Layden 1 / 1 cut signature, which made me the high bidder. I just got home to see that I WON the auction for $181.39.
    That takes just a EENTSY, TEENY, TINY bit of the sting out of the fact that some LUCKY SOB won my Steve Owen 1 / 1 Autograph Error card from the last Huggins & Scott auction.
    As you said " You win some, you lose some"
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Rocke,

Why the hard feeling when you put the item up with an auction house. Man I would hate to be that guy.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

• << <i>Rocke,

Why the hard feeling when you put the item up with an auction house. Man I would hate to be that guy.

Jay >>

Hey Jay,
    No, 100 % honest, I have absolutely no hard feelings for the person that won the Owen card. In my opinion, he got a GREAT card at a GREAT price. And I hope that he appreciates owning it as much as I did for the time that I had it. I am positive, that every person that posts here, could tell a few stories of great items that they stole, eeerrrr bought, at a GREAT price. I know I have, and I've got another in the works right now. But having said that, it still hurts when you sell an item, and don't get near what you thought you would for it. And I am equally sure that that has happened to all of us as well. It goes along with the buying and selling territory. Like Ken said, " Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" But, winning IS a lot more fun, isn't it?
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Rocke,

What did you end up selling the Steve Owen auto card for?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    greg,

did you happen to win a thorpe tonight on ebay? or anyone else here??

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I just saw that Merlin Olsen passed away. Wow, Thinking about him brings back so many memories of my own childhood. He was one of the good guys.
    Merlin was a nice guy. He signed a few times when he was at the HOF for induction ceremonies. He volunteered to sit in one year when one of the other HOFers didn't show at an autograph session. Whenever I had the pleasure of speaking to him he was always pleasant and friendly.

<< <i>greg,

jay >>

Jay,

I was trying to work a deal with one of the dealers, however my offer was too low. I would have a hard time paying more than $2k for a cut auto of Thorpe.

Did you see the 2002 Legendary Cuts auto of Turk Edwards that UKRedskins was selling? Its the same one that he has been shopping as a BIN for the past 2 years. He started out asking $4k for it and was down to $2k before ending the store listing and posting as an auction. He has placed a reserve which I expected is at or near $2k.

I would love to own that card but can't see spending over $1k on it. Plus, I would have a hard time buying anything from him after my most recent experience 1 1/2 years ago.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    That's too bad about Merlin Olsen. I was working with a dealer trying to arrange a private signing with Merlin which is when I found out that he had cancer. I didn't realize that he was close to death...too bad.

If you read about the type of cancer that he had (I can't remember the name), it is prevelant in people who have had repeated exposure to asbestos. I don't know when Mr. Olsen would have been exposed to asbestos, however I found that fact very interesting.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>greg,

jay >>

Jay,

I was trying to work a deal with one of the dealers, however my offer was too low. I would have a hard time paying more than $2k for a cut auto of Thorpe.

Did you see the 2002 Legendary Cuts auto of Turk Edwards that UKRedskins was selling? Its the same one that he has been shopping as a BIN for the past 2 years. He started out asking $4k for it and was down to $2k before ending the store listing and posting as an auction. He has placed a reserve which I expected is at or near $2k.

I would love to own that card but can't see spending over $1k on it. Plus, I would have a hard time buying anything from him after my most recent experience 1 1/2 years ago.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

greg,

two sold yesterday. only two bids on the auction one. both with under a min to go. the bin, went a week with out a sale. started at 4200 i think, then closed at 3500 with no sales. then it sold a little after the other one closed at 3300. i was waiting a bit longer hoping the price would drop some more then i might have pounced.

oh well. i would much rather have the 3300 right now in hand instead.

i did see the turk back up. not sure what is will close at. he has a reserve on it, which i bet is close to his old bin. anyway i cant bid on his stuff either.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    greg,

did you read my letter to joe i sent you. i want to get it off to him this weekend so its sitting there when he gets back from chicago on monday. i am not heading to the show this weekend. a few too many other things to do.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Greg there is a Turk Edwards card out there now that is PSA slabbed, it looks like a custom card. The eBay seller's name is Jolt333 he has it out there for $679 with about 8 hours left.

<< <i>Greg there is a Turk Edwards card out there now that is PSA slabbed, it looks like a custom card. The eBay seller's name is Jolt333 he has it out there for $679 with about 8 hours left.
    image >>

i think that is reese's card. however, since its a custom it cant go into the Auto'd card set. It could go into the PSA/DNA set however.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay....what set is th "autopgrahed set" and the PSA/DNA set? I'm still trying to find my way around here. I don't have a whole lot that is PSA most of my stuff is JSA. I have the 75 Fleer Immortal set all JSA/Beckett slabbed and a few others.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Yeah, that is my Edwards. I had that made along with a few others before I was able to upgrade to my signed 55 Topps card. I have a few other doubles that have been graded and may help some of the registry guys.

Check them out:
    Auctions
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Hey David,

I ended up buying the Friedman letter from Norm. Thanks.

Ken
    Norm's a great guy to deal with. I've been dealing with him for probably about 10 years on HOF tickets and a few other things.

<< <i>greg,

did you read my letter to joe i sent you. i want to get it off to him this weekend so its sitting there when he gets back from chicago on monday. i am not heading to the show this weekend. a few too many other things to do.

jay >>

Jay,

I haven't read the letter but I will. I've been working a ton of hours plus my grandmother died last week so I loaded up the family and we spent 5 days in Chicago. I promise that I'll get back to you by Saturday.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    greg,

sorry to hear the news. hope things went well.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • What’s going on every body, My name is Matthew & I’m new to this forum. I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s stuff & I’m very happy I found it.

As like everyone on here, I am collecting Football HOF autographs. Though I’m doing it in a different than the norm. I am a Graphic Designer & have always loved creating Sports Lithographs. So I am producing a 13x19 lithograph of each Hall of Famer (Player’s Only) & Calling it the “Gridiron Achievements” Collection.

I have been actively getting them signed for about a year & a half so fare & already have 60 signed (not bad in my book). I have received great feedback from the players… They usually take a few minutes & look it over, & check out their stats (Which makes me nervous sometimes cuz I just pray i didn’t mess them up, that would be embarrassing to say the least! Lol) they always want me to get them a copy (Which I am more than happy to do so)

So the obvious question is, how do I get the deceased players?... well im doing like the card companies, I’m using signed cuts/index cards & customizing them to each lithograph, which works perfectly. So fare I have already gotten a lot of the easier players like Johnny Unites, Derrick Thomas & so on… but recently I was able to get a JSA Authenticated Jim Thorpe Cut & I’m very excited to get that one put together as you can imagine!

So here are a few pics of a couple of the lithographs, I would love to hear any feedback that you may have or let me know if you would like to see more.

One thing that I do want to ask is, that if anybody has any idea on where I can get a Fritz Pollard Autographed 3x5 or clean cut… I would the extremely great full! & I’m always looking for the hard to get deceased players, so if you have a duplicate or know someone that has a nice one, please let me know.

So thanks for reading my post (If you made it this fare, lol)

Let me know if I can help anybody with anything

Matthew

[URL=http://img534.imageshack.us/i/bsanders.jpg/]image[/URL]
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Matthew,

Welcome to the forum. Very unique and creative way of collecting football autographs. The lithographs you have posted are great!

In regards to Fritz Pollard, contact Rhys Yeakley from prewarsports.com. He has several examples and should give you a good price. Make sure to post some of the scarce lithographs once you complete them.

Good Luck! Let us know if you need help with other guys.

Mark

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>greg,

jay >>

Jay,

Hey everyone,
    Check out all the action that is going on with that UKRedskins card. TOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY !!! Can you say " shill bids "
    Rocke

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

greg,

two sold yesterday. only two bids on the auction one. both with under a min to go. the bin, went a week with out a sale. started at 4200 i think, then closed at 3500 with no sales. then it sold a little after the other one closed at 3300. i was waiting a bit longer hoping the price would drop some more then i might have pounced.

oh well. i would much rather have the 3300 right now in hand instead.

i did see the turk back up. not sure what is will close at. he has a reserve on it, which i bet is close to his old bin. anyway i cant bid on his stuff either.

jay >>

• I don't know what happened with my post. I ended up somewhere lost in the middle.
    The point was to check out the UKRedskins Turk Edwards card.
    I am no Einstein, but does something look fishy to anyone else , or is it just me.
    I am one of the underbidders ( somewhere around 412.00 ), but I am done with it now.
    Rocke

<< <i>I don't know what happened with my post. I ended up somewhere lost in the middle.
    I am no Einstein, but does something look fishy to anyone else , or is it just me.
    I am one of the underbidders ( somewhere around 412.00 ), but I am done with it now.
    Rocke >>

what do you think is fishy about it. he has had it up previously for at least a year or more. it just nevers sells with his reserve price and he wont take much of an offer for it either. Its not like his cut Topps HOF George Allen that he made himself that he was selling a few months ago.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

• << <i>

<< <i>I don't know what happened with my post. I ended up somewhere lost in the middle.
    Rocke >>

what do you think is fishy about it. he has had it up previously for at least a year or more. it just nevers sells with his reserve price and he wont take much of an offer for it either. Its not like his cut Topps HOF George Allen that he made himself that he was selling a few months ago. >>

What I think is fishy is the bidding / bidders. I have the high LEGITAMATE bid at $412.99. I have been outbid by two different bidders EIGHT times and BOTH bidders have a ZERO rating........RIGHT !!!!!!!!!! I would bet 500.00 that BOTH bidders and all eight of those bids were placed by CJ himself, or a buddy of his that bid at his behest. Obviously, no proof, just my opinion. Does anyone out there think I am wrong, and these are LEGITAMATE bids by a brand new autograph collector? I know I have my doubts.
    Rocke

<< <i>Rocke,

What did you end up selling the Steve Owen auto card for?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

Rocke probably cleared about $600 and change after the fees. Here it is in a PSA slab. However, I have to send it back. They labeled it wrong. I had emailed Joe about it and he had someone work on it for me. They agree to label it as follows.

2008 PLAYOFF NAT. TREAS.
    STEVE OWENS ERROR
    HEIS. CUT 1/1 (STEVE OWEN)

But its clear from the scan that didnt happen. So I will have send it back to be corrected before I attempt to have it added to my set.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Thank you very much Mark, I will def contact him & see what he has of Pollard... & I will def post some more!

Thanks again! image
  • Jay - Nice pickup....great signature. I think I want to kick myself for letting the Owens 3X5 that was on E-bay recently get by me for $690. Boy, it sure is a small world in this little football HOF collecting community we have going here:}.

Ken
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Did anyone else bid on this Joe Carr? I was planning to bid again but got waylaid in the rain storm yesterday. It went for $530, I'm wondering if people thought there was a problem with it.
    eBay auction
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone else bid on this Joe Carr? I was planning to bid again but got waylaid in the rain storm yesterday. It went for $530, I'm wondering if people thought there was a problem with it.
    eBay auction
    image >>

To tell you the truth, I never did see it. That's what I do not like about eBay now is that there are to many places to post your item. I should set up my eBay search to notify me when things are posted. I am no expert but the Carr looks good to me. I can't understand why someone would cut and past his autograph like this on the letterhead. Why not keep it as one piece.

Also, has anybody looked at the up coming Heritage auction?? The football section looks really impressive.
    i agree that heritage auction looks great. i just wished i had lots of extra $$$ laying around.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Nice litho's as well Matthew, I'm new here myself, so welcome.

• << <i>Did anyone else bid on this Joe Carr? I was planning to bid again but got waylaid in the rain storm yesterday. It went for $530, I'm wondering if people thought there was a problem with it.
    eBay auction
    image >>

I never saw it. If i would have, I would have bid 1k MORE than the winning bid won it for. I could be sick right now.
    I guess havinf Joe Carr isn't good enough on my watch list. Now I am going to add Joseph Carr.
    I am going to Pray to the porcelain GOD right now.
    Please excuse me.
    Rocke
  • Rocke, I'm with you about being sick. Zack paid a small fortune for his Carr auto. I only hope that it sold to a collector and not one of the dealers that will now mark it up to $ 5000.00. I sure hope that someone appreciates what they got. Super excited about Chantilly. See you there.

• << <i>Rocke, I'm with you about being sick. Zack paid a small fortune for his Carr auto. I only hope that it sold to a collector and not one of the dealers that will now mark it up to $ 5000.00. I sure hope that someone appreciates what they got. Super excited about Chantilly. See you there. >>

I agree, I hope that a true collector got it as well. I and at least one other collector I know ( nameless , but I am sure you can guess ) each sent that seller an Email and I told him that I would give him $750.00 MORE than the winning bid. "Nameless" told him that he was an idiot for listing it under the name JOSEPH and not JOE, and that he cost himself at least 1,000.00 Oh well......
    Yes, I am looking forward to seeing you and Zack , and Ken and Joe, and anyone else ? that might be there. i will be bringing a few VERY nice items to have Jim or larry look at, and a pretty cool new item I am working on to get signed. Should be another GREAT show. Will be there early Sat. AM
    Rocke
  • Two things,
    1st) Don't know if everyone knows about them or not, but The Hall of Fame has released another autographed Football card set like Goal Line Art and the Ron Mix set. Unfortunately for the Hall, they don't own the rights to either set. Well, they have just released a set that they DO own the rights to. It's called The Bronze Bust Series. There will be 1,000's of unsigned cards (like the unstamped GLA or the GOLD Ron Mix cards ) and a limited # of 150 SIGNED sets. Like the PLATINUM Ron Mix and the GLA GOLD sets. Well, the 1st of the 150 sets ( 6/150 ) has already been broken up and the cards are on Ebay in individual auctions.
    2nd) Nice Bert Bell letter pick-up Bill. I am looking forward to hearing the story from you in Chantilly about an (unamed) Ebay seller that you were having a problem with. Hope it all worked out.
    Rocke
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Anyone see the Jim Thorpe photo that was up on e-bay recently. I sent an e-mail to the seller and suggested that they might make more if they were to put it into auction or, worst case, get it PSA'd or Spenced first. They took it off before it received any bids (I had a snipe in on it) but actually already have a similar signed photo (him in Bulldogs uniform). Anyone want to suggest what auction house they should offer it to? I am trying to help them get what the photo deserves. Or, perhaps someone on this board is interested at a fair price to them.

I have the e-mail if anyone is interested in the item and let them know of your interest.

Item was # 110508265918 and, my feeling was that it was legit.

Bart
  • Rocke- Do you have a link to those Bronze Bust auctions or an auction #?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

• << <i>Rocke- Do you have a link to those Bronze Bust auctions or an auction #? >>

I don't know how to do that "link" thing. Sorry.
    But if you look up Ebay # 400110665318 that is the Dan Fouts card. Then just click on "sellers other items" There you will see a bunch of them. The sellers Ebay name is Lester09.
    Hope this helps.
    Rocke
  • Thanks Rocke. Do we know if PSA has graded any of these cards?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Not that I know of. The Hall has been advertising these sets for awhile, but they were really only taking orders on the 150 sets. They just now started actually selling/releasing the sets. The last time that I was at the hall talking to someone with knowledge, ( about 6 weeks ago ) I was told that they were still getting the cards back from the players.
    Rocke
    anyone know if Rickey Jackson is a good TTMer??

if so, any hints to best address and any cost involved.

thanks
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay on SportsColectors.net no one has had any success ttm. If you aren't familiar with SportsCollectors.net it's a great site for getting information about ttm. Check it out...for premium access they charge you a fee of $12 or 14 dollars a year but well spent....
  • wolfedenwolfeden Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Hi All,

I wanted to share my latest purchase on eBay. The lady had this 1970 signed Vince Lombardi NFL check listed with a starting bid of 99 cents with a reserve. I sent her a message asking what her reserve was and she told me $75.00. I know the next step all of us have done once or twice and I asked her what it would take to end the auction early. To my surprise she responded telling me that she would sell it for the reserve price of $75 plus $5.00 shipping. I nearly fell out of my chair. Some times you win one and some times you lose one. I think this goes into the win column. Also Vince signed his name twice on the back!

Ed

nice pickup.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Sweet Ed!
    greg,

watch out i am on your heels again. now i just have to get that letter off to joe. we will see what he has to say. i might have another new addittion, along with most of us, with a rickey jackson if it passes psa/dna. then the owen card once it gets re-labeled.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    There's a signed Philadelphia Eagles payroll check on eBay endorsed by Bill Hewitt and written by Bert Bell. The seller is "extremely rare" and the item# is 150427573122. He's got it listed at $2995 or best offer and it has been autnicated by JSA and slabbed by Beckett