Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Jay,

I'm fairly confident that no cuts have been released for Bidwell, Carr, Chamberlin, Guyon, Henry, Hewitt, Kiesling, Mara, Marshall, Ray or Pollard. I check the Upper Deck, Donruss/Panini, and Topps Checklists every time a new product is released.

This is the list we deemed impossible a while back. No cuts exist to my knowledge although some of these maybe possible (although unlikely).

Bidwell (D. 1947)
    Carr (D. 1939)
    Henry (D. 1952)
    Hewitt (D. 1947)- 1935 Matchbook Cover
    Ray (D. 1956) From what I understand, there are only 2 known signatures in the hobby
    Chamberlin- (D. 1967)- Not sure what card he would have signed
    Guyon- (D.1971)- Not sure what card he would have signed
    Kiesling (D. 1962)-1935 Matchbook Cover, 1956,1959, 1960 Topps Team Cards would be possible
    Mara (D. 1959)-Would be possible on 1956 Topps Giants team card
    Marshall (D. 1969) -Possible Redskins team signed cards
    Pollard- (D. 1986)-Not sure what card he would have signed

Here is the information I've gathered over the years. These would be the players I consider "very tough" to find on signed cards and have had some cuts released. If there is anything I've missed let me know and I'll update what I've got-

Allen- 2009 Donruss Classics /1, Team signed cards exist
    Conzelman-2009 Donruss Classics /1, 2001 F/X Cuts /9
    Driscoll- 2009 Donruss Classics /1
    Edwards-2002 SP Legendary Cuts /12 + Possible on 1935 National Chicle, 1955 Topps All-American
    Ford-2002 SP Legendary Cuts /4 + Possible on 1955 Bowman, 1957 Topps
    Herber- 2002 SP Legendary Cuts/25, 2007 Playoff National Treasures/6
    Lambeau-2009 Donruss Classics/1
    Lyman-2009 Donruss Classics /2, 2002 SP Legendary Cuts /11
    Neale- 2008 Donruss Classics /9, 2007 UD Premier /1, 2001 F/X Cuts /5, signed Exhibit baseball cards possible
    Owen-2008 Playoff National Treasures Error /1, 2002 SP Legendary Cuts /5, Possible on 1952 Bowman Large/Small
    Thorpe- Cuts in several products, mostly 1/1's- Probably 10-20 exist , 33 Sport Kings

At this point, like you said I don't think it's possible to get passed the 95% mark strictly using cards. If we could use other PSA/DNA items it may be possible, although very challenging to complete the 100% mark (Bidwell, Carr, Kiesling, Mara, and Ray are extremely difficult and expensive signatures to track down.) Is there a way we can delete the guys that don't have "Cuts" strictly for this set and add them back if new cards are released or discovered?

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i am sure there could be away to delete them. however, that might mean PSA would not allow either the Lambeau or the Driscoll cuts as they are 1 of 1's. Or even some of the other rarer cuts, like they do for other low numbered cards within master sets.

over all i would prefer that they not be deleted but rather marked with a *, like they have for other sets where cards were added just before the deadline. in this case, the * would remain until either a cut is released or someone adds a card to the set.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I've never seen a Kiesling matchbook, let alone seen one that was signed - all I have is this scan. I suppose he could have signed one of these along the way - I have some examples of signed matchbooks - Fortmann and Newman for example.

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i am sure there could be away to delete them. however, that might mean PSA would not allow either the Lambeau or the Driscoll cuts as they are 1 of 1's. Or even some of the other rarer cuts, like they do for other low numbered cards within master sets.

over all i would prefer that they not be deleted but rather marked with a *, like they have for other sets where cards were added just before the deadline. in this case, the * would remain until either a cut is released or someone adds a card to the set. >>

Jay,

I struggle with this also. I suggested two years ago that we delete the HOFers from the set who are currently impossible, however not many people were in favor. Personally, I like the idea that all HOFers that don't have at least 3 to 5 known autographed cards can't be added to the set. This is especially important considering PSA keeps raising the bar - which will likely be impossible for any of us to meet.

Your thoughts?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    I'm not sure what the answer is either. In that scenerio, Jay can't add his Lambeau or Driscoll since they are both 1/1's which doesn't seem fair. I would think if one person is able to add a card, then it should be eligible and taken off the impossible list. Those 11 players that have no cuts and we haven't found signed gum cards should be marked with the * until one of us can add them or new cuts are created.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>Jay,

I'm fairly confident that no cuts have been released for Bidwell, Carr, Chamberlin, Guyon, Henry, Hewitt, Kiesling, Mara, Marshall, Ray or Pollard. I check the Upper Deck, Donruss/Panini, and Topps Checklists every time a new product is released.

This is the list we deemed impossible a while back. No cuts exist to my knowledge although some of these maybe possible (although unlikely).

Bidwell (D. 1947)
    Carr (D. 1939)
    Henry (D. 1952)
    Hewitt (D. 1947)- 1935 Matchbook Cover
    Ray (D. 1956) From what I understand, there are only 2 known signatures in the hobby
    Chamberlin- (D. 1967)- Not sure what card he would have signed
    Guyon- (D.1971)- Not sure what card he would have signed
    Kiesling (D. 1962)-1935 Matchbook Cover, 1956,1959, 1960 Topps Team Cards would be possible
    Mara (D. 1959)-Would be possible on 1956 Topps Giants team card
    Marshall (D. 1969) -Possible Redskins team signed cards
    Pollard- (D. 1986)-Not sure what card he would have signed

Here is the information I've gathered over the years. These would be the players I consider "very tough" to find on signed cards and have had some cuts released. If there is anything I've missed let me know and I'll update what I've got-

Allen- 2009 Donruss Classics /1, Team signed cards exist
    Conzelman-2009 Donruss Classics /1, 2001 F/X Cuts /9
    Driscoll- 2009 Donruss Classics /1
    Edwards-2002 SP Legendary Cuts /12 + Possible on 1935 National Chicle, 1955 Topps All-American
    Ford-2002 SP Legendary Cuts /4 + Possible on 1956, 1957 Topps
    Herber- 2002 SP Legendary Cuts/25, 2007 Playoff National Treasures/6
    Lambeau-2009 Donruss Classics/1
    Lyman-2009 Donruss Classics /2, 2002 SP Legendary Cuts /11
    Neale- 2008 Donruss Classics /9, 2007 UD Premier /1, 2001 F/X Cuts /5, signed Exhibit baseball cards possible
    Owen-2008 Playoff National Treasures Error /1, 2002 SP Legendary Cuts /5, Possible on 1952 Bowman Large/Small
    Thorpe- Cuts in several products, mostly 1/1's- Probably 10-20 exist

At this point, like you said I don't think it's possible to get passed the 95% mark strictly using cards. If we could use other PSA/DNA items it may be possible, although very challenging to complete the 100% mark (Bidwell, Carr, Kiesling, Mara, and Ray are extremely difficult and expensive signatures to track down.) Is there a way we can delete the guys that don't have "Cuts" strictly for this set and add them back if new cards are released or discovered?

Reese >>

Reese,

Great list - and I agree that 11 HOFers are currently impossible to complete the set. Also, 2 (Lambeau and Driscoll) only have 1 known autographed card each...which argueably shouldn't be added to the set until 3 to 5 are known to exist (sorry Jay). In my opinion, those 13 should be deleted from the set until more known examples are released/surface.

The only changes I would make to Reese's list of the "tough" autographs are that Len Ford is possible on 55 Bowman (not 56 Topps), Thorpe is possible on a 33 Sports Kings, and George Allen also had a cut card issued by Topps - see the auction below:
    George Allen

I still have my Greasy Neale; however PSA removed it right before the awards (which REALLY P*SSED ME OFF) because it has a blue flip (they also removed the Les Horvath from my Heisman set which pushed me below 90% the week before the May 31st deadline....). Also, I have a raw Ralph Wilson that I have to get graded (I sold my graded one to you) and I have a 55 Topps AA Turk Edwards from CJ that was rejected by PSA/DNA that I'll submit again later this year. Assuming the Edwards passes PSA/DNA, I'll need (of those that are possible) Steve Owen, Jim Thorpe, Curly Lambeau and Paddy Driscoll (assuming new cuts are made of them). I'd have to recheck my math, however I would need to add the Edwards and at least 1 (if not 2) of the remaining HOFers plus the entire class of 2010 to hit 95%. I really doubt that's going to happen because I really can't afford a Thorpe right now (priced over $2k) nor can I find a Steve Owen to save my life. That likely leaves me a hair under 95% and definately out of the running for the registry awards. I'd love to find a way to promote awareness on the registry of how tough a set the HOF auto set really is.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    i didnt know that the george allen he was selling was a real topps cut card. i wasnt aware that there was a cut for those topps hof auto sets. to me it seemed kinda home made.

but if the lambeau and driscoll cant go in, i would argue that the reeves and maybe even ford shouldnt be in either. i think you start getting to a blurred line. if you say well there could be more reeves or fords out there, i could say the same for lambeau. he could have signed any 50's team card if presented to him...or even a chicago cardinals or redskins team card. driscoll too could have signed team cards for either the bears or cardinals. i dont want any know auto'd cards excluded. i would prefer that those that arent known to exist not be required for the set until a known card is.

i would hope that no one here would lobby for my lambeau and driscoll cards to be exclude...as i would not if someone else won them. i would also assume that psa wont limit this set as any auto'd card will be allowed for the set. but some people can be quite eliquent with emails and/or persistent. for player sets they have limited low number cards to i believe anything less than 4 of 4. I have a 5 of 5 that is in my Favre master set. but since this is an open set i would agrue that there is no known limit to potential auto'd cards. again we dont know how many cards lambeau, driscoll, ford or revees may have signed in there life time.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    there is a real allen topps cut but its a 1 of 1. so i guess allen might have to be removed as well. there are only what 4 possible allen auto's out there we know about (you and reese have one each) plus this years donruss classics. but again i dont agree with greg's logic on the removal or limiting any known auto'd card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    actually with a becket search i have turned up three more lambeau cuts.

2004 Topps Signature Canton Cuts (1 of 1) exchange card
    2004 Greats of the Game Personality Cut Auto (1 of 1)
    2007 Exquisite Quad Legendary Cuts with Hunt, Rozelle and Wellington Mara (1 of 1)

So there are 4 Lambeau's out there.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    there are roughly 25 known Thorpe cut cards out there. based on beckett and adding the tri-star cut.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    other than the hand signed Reeves there are no cuts listed in the Beckett search. psa only has graded 1 if i am correct. so that is rarer than the lambeau.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay,

I know of 2 Reeves in existence (mine and Reese's) plus there are at least 5 Ford auto'd cards in existence (4 from 2002 Legendary Cuts plus my 55 Bowman). I would be ok with saying that any HOFer with a known auto'd card should be included. I wasn't trying to upset you (which it seems I did), however an argument could be made that a 1/1 auto'd card (e.g. Driscoll) should be excluded.

The problem w/ excluding cards from this set is the impossibility of trying to determine how many cards exist of each HOFer and whether certains HOFers are even possible. Case in point - I assume that autographed 1952 Bowman Steve Owen cards exist in the hobby...however I have never seen one nor have I heard of the existence of one (excluding the one that Reese bought that was rejected by PSA). It stands to reason that some exist because Owen lived 20 years past the release date of the 1952 Bowman set, however it's possible that he never signed a single 52 Bowman card.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>other than the hand signed Reeves there are no cuts listed in the Beckett search. psa only has graded 1 if i am correct. so that is rarer than the lambeau. >>

Jay,

True - there are no cuts of Reeves - only the 2 signed 67 Philly cards owned by Reese and myself.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Greg,

But by your same logic you dont know how many team cards Driscoll could have signed. Yes he wasnt on them at the printing but that hasnt stopped us from having execs sign team cards, or super bowl artwork cards.

Driscoll has a Star Player Candy card, which is more than Allen had. So there could be Driscolls out there. Just like Owen (but there are also known cuts of Owen). We have no idea about most of these rarer cards.

I agree we should not exclude cards. Just that they are not required for the set until at least one has been added to a set. Yes it gives that one person that owns that one card a leg up but you had that with your Reeves for awhile before Reese got his...which must not have been updated in the pop report, unless its not the same card. When I do the what if I am only give one option for adding Reeves. This is an open ended set so I am not sure how one could limit any auto'd card from being included. Based on the fact that we dont know for sure how many auto's of any of these rarer sigs are out there we cant say for sure. I am sure we will see more Driscolls in the future. His sigs are hard to find. We will probably see some more of the others too. Others will remain tough as there arent many sigs out there period.

I was hoping for a way to make our set stay in the voters eyes. As you have said before we might need to combine cards between some of us to get some publicity. But if we can get the people that we know dont have any auto'd cards handled by PSA off the required list (until an auto'd card, yes by an I do mean even only one) turns up slabbed by PSA. I am sure that if you stumbled upon a hand signed bidwell, carr etc card you would want it to be included. To me, to say that any cut that is a 1 of 1, with no more cuts available shouldnt be added is rather harsh. Then why should any PSA/DNA card where there is only a small number that PSA has slabbed be allowed? To me that would only be the fair way of dealing with your arguement. My view is that it shouldnt matter. Since we will allow any signed card into the set wheter it is a cut 1 of 1 or a hand signed 1 of 1 every dealt with by PSA it should be allowed into the set.

On a side note....i couldnt believe how cheap the Lambeau ended. Considering thorpes go much higher yet there are more of his auto's out there.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    The only changes I would make to Reese's list of the "tough" autographs are that Len Ford is possible on 55 Bowman (not 56 Topps), Thorpe is possible on a 33 Sports Kings, and George Allen also had a cut card issued by Topps - see the auction below:
    George Allen

Thanks Greg, I've updated my list.

That George Allen was not a Topps release, it is a homemade cut like Jay said. Scott (OTWcards) also has a team signed George Allen card so that would make at least 4 total known.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    so what does the topps cut look like reese?? beckett has one listed, but cj's just look too strange to be a factory issued card. i mean it looks like he wrapped the paper around the card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>so what does the topps cut look like reese?? beckett has one listed, but cj's just look too strange to be a factory issued card. i mean it looks like he wrapped the paper around the card. >>

Good question, if you can tell me the year and the set I could look it up. Off the top of my head, I remember a "Canton Cuts" set topps released in 2004 that looks like this, were everything was a 1/1-

Ebay Auction
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Ok, so I looked up the 2004 Topps Signature Edition Canton Cuts checklist and it does feature a George Allen 1/1 cut. It would look like the Groza I posted above.

The set also had the following, all 1/1's

Curly Lambeau (listed as an exchange, I wonder if it was ever released?)
    Greasy Neale
    Johnny McNally
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Just to clarify, I haven't sent my Reeves to PSA yet so it wouldn't be in the pop report. It had been certified by JSA when I bought it. It is a 67 Philadelphia Rams Logo card, which I know is different from Greg's Reeves.

Also time to share my newest pickup.

Link Lyman 2/2 Playoff National Treasures. I'll post pictures later.

I am hoping to have everything slabbed by the end of the year which should put me near the top with you guys. I think Greg has two cards I don't have (Conzelman, Ford), Jay has 3 I need (Conzelman, Driscoll, and Lambeau). I have 4 Jay needs (Allen, Edwards, Lyman, Reeves) and but nothing Greg doesn't already have (pending the result of the Edwards).

Also, I agree with Jay on this that it should only take 1 card to make the player eligible in this set even if it's a 1/1 cut or PSA/DNA team card. Realistically though, will PSA change the format of this set if we all come to an agreement on this?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    where did you pick up the lyman from??? at the national????

i doubt PSA will do anything with this set. even along the lines of withholding some people from the set until a card is added. my comments were more about getting a discussion going. the only way it will be changed would be if a vast majority of the sets voiced the same feeling.

i just want this set to get some mention somewhere.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    i am pissed. someone picked up one of the lyman 09 Classics for $400 on ebay on 7/30. I have done searches nearly everyday while i was gone and never had it pop up. it must have been a bin that someone snagged as there was only one bid.

shucks.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    That is the one. Luckily there is another one out there.

I think it's a good discussion. I really would love to get some recognition for this set. We've put years and years of dedication into this project. I wonder if we could do a vote for all the members with sets on the registry and see if enough of us want a change to be made.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    reese,

you little devil. you werent going to let me see that one were you!!!

great pick up. congrats.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Thanks! It's nice not having to search for him everyday anymore!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Here's the George Allen if anyone needs to add this to the on-card tally:

• << <i>Jay,

I know of 2 Reeves in existence (mine and Reese's) plus there are at least 5 Ford auto'd cards in existence (4 from 2002 Legendary Cuts plus my 55 Bowman). I would be ok with saying that any HOFer with a known auto'd card should be included. I wasn't trying to upset you (which it seems I did), however an argument could be made that a 1/1 auto'd card (e.g. Driscoll) should be excluded.

The problem w/ excluding cards from this set is the impossibility of trying to determine how many cards exist of each HOFer and whether certains HOFers are even possible. Case in point - I assume that autographed 1952 Bowman Steve Owen cards exist in the hobby...however I have never seen one nor have I heard of the existence of one (excluding the one that Reese bought that was rejected by PSA). It stands to reason that some exist because Owen lived 20 years past the release date of the 1952 Bowman set, however it's possible that he never signed a single 52 Bowman card.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Hello All,
    In regards to signed Len Ford cards, Greg, you said there are 5 known signed Ford cards, 4 - 2002 Legendary Cuts cards and the 55 Bowman that you recently picked up. I don't know if everyone else has missed this one , BUT, Rich Albersheim has had a 55 Bowman listed on his website for at least 2 years for $1,495.00. Well, it's off to the races !!!!!!
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Rocke. Turn on your PM. You'll get an answer to your statement.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

<< <i>

<< <i>Jay,

The problem w/ excluding cards from this set is the impossibility of trying to determine how many cards exist of each HOFer and whether certains HOFers are even possible. Case in point - I assume that autographed 1952 Bowman Steve Owen cards exist in the hobby...however I have never seen one nor have I heard of the existence of one (excluding the one that Reese bought that was rejected by PSA). It stands to reason that some exist because Owen lived 20 years past the release date of the 1952 Bowman set, however it's possible that he never signed a siRengle 52 Bowman card.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Rocke,

Real or Memorex?

Rgs,

Greg M.

Hello All,
    In regards to signed Len Ford cards, Greg, you said there are 5 known signed Ford cards, 4 - 2002 Legendary Cuts cards and the 55 Bowman that you recently picked up. I don't know if everyone else has missed this one , BUT, Rich Albersheim has had a 55 Bowman listed on his website for at least 2 years for $1,495.00. Well, it's off to the races !!!!!!
    Rocke >>

References:
    Is anyone planning on attending the cards shown on 10/3 at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA? The following HOFers are signing:

Tommy McDonald (rare public appearance)
    Larry Wilson (rare public appearance)
    Dwight Stephenson
    Don Maynard (rare public appearance)

Linky

I'd really like to get cards signed by Tommy "25" McDonald, Larry Wilson and Don Maynard. Let me know if you can help.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    reese...i really am glad you got the lyman. our little group (mainly just you and me) have done a nice job picking up the hard auto's from this years classics cuts. 3 one of one tough sigs (Lambeau, Driscoll and Conzelman) and your 2 of 2 (Lyman). i cant wait to see your scan.

well curly is home!!!

scans coming later today. i really like it!!!

ll image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Alrighty then....here come the scans.

The first is the worst of the bunch. Its a Clark Shaughnessy Classics Cuts.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    here is the Jim Conzelman...again a little lost at the top and bottom. not sure since they were making custom windows why they couldnt have given another 1/4'' total top to bottom.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    now they get better. here is the only known (at least that they few of us on here know about) Paddy Driscoll Auto Card. Why they couldnt have used this window with the Conzelman cut is beyond me. That would have made it a much nicer cut.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    and here it is. last but definetly not least. this completes my Packer NFL HOF auto collection.

The Curly Lambeau Classics Cuts Card.

I must admit its a sharp auto in person even more so than the scan. It looks like it was cut from a player contract as just towards the bottom it seems to say (Player).

Hope you all enjoyed looking at them and would love to hear what you all think Overall all have nice sharp corners. I am think that when I send them in for grading I will keep them in the magnetic cases they came in. With most of my other thick cards I have had issues with condition either in transit or at PSA.

With the Lambeau its just too bad that PSA doesnt grade both the auto and the card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Great cards Jay. I don't often feel jealous, but I definitely envy you nowimage
    I've submitted many thick cards to PSA and I would definitely leave them in the thick magnetic holder. Matter of fact, PSA has sent those holders back with the graded cards.

Now be a good fellow collector and let us (actually me) image win the next ones.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    well frank you wont have to worry about me bidding on any lambeau's, driscoll's or conzelman's ever again.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay all the cards really look great! What is interesting is that I have a 5X7 Jimmy Conzelman signed picture which is the same thing they used for your cut! Congrats again!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    I think it is sad that these card companies are cutting wonderful pieces of memorabilia...photo's and documents just to make a card out of it. I would rather have the photo of Jim Conzelman signed than a card that has been manufactured. The Curly Lambeau item was probably a significant document of pro football history and now it is destroyed to make a card.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

<< <i>I think it is sad that these card companies are cutting wonderful pieces of memorabilia...photo's and documents just to make a card out of it. I would rather have the photo of Jim Conzelman signed than a card that has been manufactured. The Curly Lambeau item was probably a significant document of pro football history and now it is destroyed to make a card. >>

I agree with you. The only cuts I like are of autographs on lined or non-lined paper or index cards. Outside of that, it really bothers me to see historical documents or vintage cards butchered.... Last month I saw a Mike Michalske cut auto'd card - with the autograph cut from a 1975 Fleer Immortal Rolls card. It looked ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS yet people still drop down hundreds of dollars for such monstrosities.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Jay,

Nice additions. I'm very envious of the Driscoll. Any interest in selling it? image

Greg M.

References:
  • I have to agree with Jim on this one. I would much rather have an intact signed photo, contract, or other piece of memorabilia. Every year the card companies cut up a bunch more stuff and for the rarer pre-1970 guys....it has to be dwindling. No offense to the registry guys on this thread because I understand the allure of the chase, but I am very glad that I collect autographs in whatever form I like. It's a lot cheaper for me and you guys are ruthless...ha ha:}.

Ken

Jay - That Lambeau signature is awesome! I love the penmanship from some of the older sigs.
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I completely agree with some of the above statements....cutting up these historical documents just to make an autograph card is a shame. However, I understand why the card companies do it. These sigs are easier to authenticate than 3x5 cards, and the reputation of the card company is on the line with each autograph card they create.

I'm surprised that a card company hasn't created a program where (for a fee) collectors could personally submit rare autographs and these companies would authenticate and then place the sigs in an official card. That way, the PSA collectors could have official cards to get graded and complete their collections. The companies could even post an ongoing list of these cards on their website.

Mark

<< <i>Jay,

Nice additions. I'm very envious of the Driscoll. Any interest in selling it? image

Greg M. >>

Greg,

Why would you want it? You dont think it should go into the set anyway since its a 1 of 1. Just kidding. The answer to your question is no.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>I think it is sad that these card companies are cutting wonderful pieces of memorabilia...photo's and documents just to make a card out of it. I would rather have the photo of Jim Conzelman signed than a card that has been manufactured. The Curly Lambeau item was probably a significant document of pro football history and now it is destroyed to make a card. >>

i wouldnt go so far to say that the lambeau was some significant document in the history of the NFL. While I said it looks like its from some type of player paperwork, there is no other indication that it was ever a final document. If you notice the typed Green Bay Football Corporation above the Sig. Under the sig there is the same line with (Player) underneath. Yet there is no typed Player name.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    As they say dont kill the messenger.

I agree there are plenty of hideous cuts out there. The ones that are strange are from cards....while I would argue the 74 Fleer immortals are not vintage. The Driscoll is clearly from a index card and it looks like the Shaughnessy is from a check. While the Conzelman is from a photo, how does one know what the rest of the photo was like. There could have been burn marks, creases etc. Not to say that it was a pristine photo either. Who knows.

I am only collecting HOF autos on cards...other Packers are a different story. I am starting a collection of auto's of every Packer that has scored a point in franchise history...well at least during the regular season. Going into this season there are 444 players that have done just that. With my Favre auto'd TD receiver group and other auto's that i have I am close to a quarter of the way through. If you thought the HOF set was tough. For example, try finding a auto of Cal Clemens. He scored 1 point for the Packers and only played in the 1936 season. Obviously my biggest challenge will be to find the auto's of people from the 20's through the 40's.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>

<< <i>Jay,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

Why would you want it? You dont think it should go into the set anyway since its a 1 of 1. Just kidding. The answer to your question is no.

Jay >>

Jay,

Only the 1 of 1's owned by you shouldn't be added to the set image

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Jay,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

Jay >>

Jay,

Only the 1 of 1's owned by you shouldn't be added to the set image

Greg M. >>

that was the impression that i got. as i am sure if you had the lambeau you would want it in
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay,

I think that you misinterpreted what I said. I was trying to make the point that some people could argue that autographed cards, where only 1 or 2 exist, shouldn't be added to the set (such as in player master sets where cards under a certain print run are excluded). With that being said, I said earlier (and I reiterate) that I don't have a problem with any autographed card being added to the set where one example exists.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Here's a scan of the Lyman. The corners are sharp so it should grade well.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333