Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm 21. I collect Football HOF autographs, which I started about a year ago. So far I am 45% complete! I've read this entire thread and I've learned a ton from you guys!
    Collecting Pro Football Hall of Fame Autographs: (238/267)
  • Welcome aboard Matt. keep us posted as to your progress. It seems like you have done a great job so far.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

• << <i>Welcome aboard Matt. keep us posted as to your progress. It seems like you have done a great job so far. >>

Thanks! This is really the only forum that I've found that has members who are serious about collecting HOF autographs. Have you guys picked up anything nice lately?
  • cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I've been looking for those two signatures for awhile now, especially Gill. I need Gill and Bull to complete my 1888 Yale football team autograph set. I have a pretty cool 6 page handwritten letter by Pa Corbin, captain of the 1888 Yale championship team, written in 1888 discussing the daily routine of the crew team. He writes in length about attending church with Gill.

Of the 1889 inaugural All-American team, I have signatures of Stagg, Ames, Heffelfinger, Cowan, Poe, and Channing.

Mark
  • I looking to pick up a Sid Luckman auto, do you think this is authentic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=280366501712&amp;viewitem=&amp;sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;salenotsupported#ebayphotohosting

I've compared to the ones used by PSA and saw some subtle differences, but with the variation in his signature its hard to tell. Thanks

Matt
  • It's a 50/50 chance that the Luckman is good. PSa feels that many of the Immortal Roll Luckmans were ghost signed. You might be better off buying one that's already graded.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

• << <i>It's a 50/50 chance that the Luckman is good. PSa feels that many of the Immortal Roll Luckmans were ghost signed. You might be better off buying one that's already graded. >>

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, I'll just find one already authenticated. Thanks!
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hi Matt!

Welcome! Do you have your set on registry?

I had a Luckman Immortal Roll rejected by PSA. There is a certified 97 Leaf Reprint Auto that they will grade.

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    Does anyone have an extra 1950 Bowman Y.A. Tittle RC they would want to sell? I need to get one signed at the National and am having a really tough time tracking one down. Let me know!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

• << <i>Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm 21. I collect Football HOF autographs, which I started about a year ago. So far I am 45% complete! I've read this entire thread and I've learned a ton from you guys! >>

Hello, and welcome Matt,
    Ihope that you enjoy this site as much as I do. It definitely is a great place to learn and share. By the way, where do you live?
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

• << <i>Does anyone have an extra 1950 Bowman Y.A. Tittle RC they would want to sell? I need to get one signed at the National and am having a really tough time tracking one down. Let me know! >>

Hey Reese, does this mean that you are coming to NE Ohio in a couple of weeks? Let me know, I've got something in the works.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have an extra 1950 Bowman Y.A. Tittle RC they would want to sell? I need to get one signed at the National and am having a really tough time tracking one down. Let me know! >>

Hey Reese, does this mean that you are coming to NE Ohio in a couple of weeks? Let me know, I've got something in the works.
    Rocke >>

I'm going to try and get there for the show. I should know for sure next week. If not I was going to do the mail order thing for Tittle.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Rocke,

I am flying in for the National early on the 30th and heading out the night of the 31st. If you get a chance, we should catch up at the show for a bit. Take care.

Ken

• << <i>Rocke,

I am flying in for the National early on the 30th and heading out the night of the 31st. If you get a chance, we should catch up at the show for a bit. Take care.

Ken >>

PLEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEE, tell me that you are renting a car.
    Rocke
  • Rocke,

Um, nope...not planning to at this point. Free shuttle from airport to Mariott and then free shuttle to show from hotelimage. Should I be?

Ken
  • Hey guys,

Just won this Joe Guyon piece tonight. What do you think? Looks real solid to me, just not sure if I want to make it into a cut and get it authenticated or authenticate the sheet. I guess it depends on what it would cost since I don't care about the other signatures really. There are a couple of All-Stars on the sheet with pretty decent careers, but I don't collect baseball at all anymore.

Ken

Joe Guyon auction
  • Hello,
    Has anyone seen that DONRUSS Classic Cuts Curly Lambeau autograph card on Ebay? It ends TONIGHT and is currently at $2580.00 WOW !!!!
    Rocke

• << <i>Rocke,

Um, nope...not planning to at this point. Free shuttle from airport to Mariott and then free shuttle to show from hotelimage. Should I be?

Ken >>

Ken, I was just hoping that You could somehow make it down to my home so I could show you my collection. I live about 50 miles from the IX center. I WILL be at the show on Thursday for sure. I can have you for dinner Thurs. night. Plus, anyone else out there who may be in town...... anyone ?
    Rocke
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello,
    Has anyone seen that DONRUSS Classic Cuts Curly Lambeau autograph card on Ebay? It ends TONIGHT and is currently at $2580.00 WOW !!!!
    Rocke >>

Thanks for heads up.... I had NO IDEA there was a cut Lambeau out there. I just bid $2800 but was immediately outbid!!! Arghhh....

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello,
    Rocke >>

yes i have known for over a week. thanks for letting the cat out of the bag.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    I was watching it as well. It went out of my price range at 2K. Did anyone here win it?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello,
    Rocke >>

Thanks for heads up.... I had NO IDEA there was a cut Lambeau out there. I just bid $2800 but was immediately outbid!!! Arghhh....

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

greg,

yes you were outbid right away. good thing i was able to find a cpu over here in oxford, uk so i could up my max bid earlier today. i was getting nervous that someone here had found out. i guess my fears were correct. i have seen this one for over a week. i won the 1/1 connzelman last week too!!!

i am now complete with my PACKER HOF AUTO collection!!!! Also probably at present the only curly auto that can be in the set.

sorry to keep everyone in the dark but that is how things go. i have seen auctions pulled out from under my nose around here before and this is a card that i want for many reasons. i am sure there will be more cuts of his soon enough. this years classics also has an george allen and link lyman cut as well. there was a 1/1 jim langer that ended last week but i already have one.

at least you only ran up my bill $300. i am surpirsed at the low final total. consider how few auto'd cards and other auto's of his out there. it probably helped me as to how the seller listed it. doesnt come up on all searches.

but scratch another impossible from the list.

anyone see what the jim thorpe tristar cut sold for?? i was hoping to get that one too, but i bailed out on bidding was it got near $1000 to save for the curly.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>I was watching it as well. It went out of my price range at 2K. Did anyone here win it? >>

yep someone did!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Arghhh! You outbid me on the Conzelman too! I thought for sure I had that one locked up. Congrats!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>Arghhh! You outbid me on the Conzelman too! I thought for sure I had that one locked up. Congrats! >>

yep, i guess so then. i thought it ended pretty cheap too.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    So who all will be in Cleveland? I'll be there Monday night and will be on the show floor buying most of the week. Feel free to drop me a PM if you're going as I'd love to put a face with the screen names.

• << <i>

<< <i>Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm 21. I collect Football HOF autographs, which I started about a year ago. So far I am 45% complete! I've read this entire thread and I've learned a ton from you guys! >>

Hello, and welcome Matt,
    Ihope that you enjoy this site as much as I do. It definitely is a great place to learn and share. By the way, where do you live?
    Rocke >>

Thanks! I already am enjoying it a lot. I'm from St. Louis, MO.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello,
    Rocke >>

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

greg,

yes you were outbid right away. good thing i was able to find a cpu over here in oxford, uk so i could up my max bid earlier today. i was getting nervous that someone here had found out. i guess my fears were correct. i have seen this one for over a week. i won the 1/1 connzelman last week too!!!

i am now complete with my PACKER HOF AUTO collection!!!! Also probably at present the only curly auto that can be in the set.

sorry to keep everyone in the dark but that is how things go. i have seen auctions pulled out from under my nose around here before and this is a card that i want for many reasons. i am sure there will be more cuts of his soon enough. this years classics also has an george allen and link lyman cut as well. there was a 1/1 jim langer that ended last week but i already have one.

at least you only ran up my bill $300. i am surpirsed at the low final total. consider how few auto'd cards and other auto's of his out there. it probably helped me as to how the seller listed it. doesnt come up on all searches.

but scratch another impossible from the list.

anyone see what the jim thorpe tristar cut sold for?? i was hoping to get that one too, but i bailed out on bidding was it got near $1000 to save for the curly.

jay >>

I've been following that card for almost a week lol I was thinking about posting the auction here, but figured that a lot of you guys would be bidding, so I didn't want to have the card get bid up. Yeah, that Thorpe ended for a lot less than I thought it would have. There was a guy who offered the seller $3000, but he turned him down, saying he paid 5000. I guess he's wishing he took the 3000 lol
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Thought I would share a couple of photo projects I have completed recently. Some Notre Dame greats....

Bill Walsh signed in the grass area...kind of hard to see with this scan

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
    The last 2 surviving members of the 1939 Iowa Hawkeyes team...

• << <i>So who all will be in Cleveland? I'll be there Monday night and will be on the show floor buying most of the week. Feel free to drop me a PM if you're going as I'd love to put a face with the screen names. >>

Hello Scott,
    The same offer goes to you as the one that I extended to Ken. Anyone that is a regular poster here is welcome to dinner at my home. I have taken that week of vacation from work ( as well as the next week for Football Hall of Fame week). A lot of my best stuff is my safe deposit box at the bank. I will take anyone there that wants to see that stuff, but they are only open 9:00 - 4:00 I can send my cell phone # to either Reese or Greg, who can forward it to you. ( I would prefer not to post it here ). There is a HIGH probability that I will be listing my Curly Lambeau autograph on Ebay on Wednesday. If you want, you can send me your cell # through the "ask seller a question" on Ebay. I definitely want to get together.
    Rocke
    Jay,

Congrats on winning The Lambeau...you dog. To be honest, I had no business bidding on it...however I was swept up in the moment when I saw it listed. With the Conzelman, you should be breathing down my neck soon...

How much did the TriStar Thorpe sell for? There was a National Treasures cut auto that ended last week w/o a bidder @ $4500. I e-mailed the seller who never responded.....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Thought I would share a couple of photo projects I have completed recently. Some Notre Dame greats....

Bill Walsh signed in the grass area...kind of hard to see with this scan

image >>

Great photos...thanks for sharing. I have several 1990 Notre Dame team cards that I've had signed by Lujack, Panelli and Tripucka. I'd like them signed by Fischer and Williams, however I'd hate to lose the cards through the mail...or have someone ruin them w/ a crappy marker.

Is Bill Walsh the HOF coach (forgive my ignorance)?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Greg,

No, this is Bill H. Walsh 1949 -1954 Pittsburgh Steelers.

<< <i>Greg,

No, this is Bill H. Walsh 1949 -1954 Pittsburgh Steelers. >>

Jim,

Is he still alive? I don't see any requests on SCN.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Greg,

I believe the Thorpe Tristar went for $1850 if I remember correctly.

Ken
    Greg,

Yes, he is still alive. As of today, #343 on the Oldest Living Pro Football player list. As I have stated before, I do not assume the list is 100% correct but there is nothing as detailed out there... In fact, I have added about 20 or so guys in the past few weeks that were not on any address list or were just not known. I have also added more than 5 players that were reported as deceased that are very much alive. Vic Schleich, William Gray Jr., Glenn Young and a few others were all reported as deceased. Schleich did not die in 1998! William 'Bill' Gray Jr. did not die in 1978! Glenn Young did not die in 2008!

These men are the pioneers of the game and people are reporting them as deceased without the slightest verification. Seems someone with the name and a close birth date dies and it is just assumed it is the player.

Some suggestions;

1. use my list www.oldestlivingprofootball.com - I feel comfortable in saying that I have the most up to date and detailed death list from 1990 to today.
    2. use Total Football II - it is not perfect and a bit out dated, but still worth it.
    3. use SSDI - social security death index

Hope it helps. I know we all love to collect the HOF'ers, but these men are the unsung heroes of the football world.

Geez, that was almost like a rant!

• bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Hey Guys-

I plan on being at the National on Thursday, July 30...and possibly on the 31st. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys. Perhaps we can designate a spot/time for board members to meet.

Bart

<< <i>

<< <i>So who all will be in Cleveland? I'll be there Monday night and will be on the show floor buying most of the week. Feel free to drop me a PM if you're going as I'd love to put a face with the screen names. >>

Hello Scott,
    The same offer goes to you as the one that I extended to Ken. Anyone that is a regular poster here is welcome to dinner at my home. I have taken that week of vacation from work ( as well as the next week for Football Hall of Fame week). A lot of my best stuff is my safe deposit box at the bank. I will take anyone there that wants to see that stuff, but they are only open 9:00 - 4:00 I can send my cell phone # to either Reese or Greg, who can forward it to you. ( I would prefer not to post it here ). There is a HIGH probability that I will be listing my Curly Lambeau autograph on Ebay on Wednesday. If you want, you can send me your cell # through the "ask seller a question" on Ebay. I definitely want to get together.
    Rocke >>

Rocke,

Email sent

Thanks,
    Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    No national for me this year. I wish that I could attend, however I used up most of my vacation this year w/ the trip to China. I hope those who are going have a great time....

Rocke,

Did you previously say that you'll be at the Belden Village Mall show in early August? If so, could you get a few items autographed for me? I'll buy you any autographed ticket that you'd like if you can help me out.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

• << <i>No national for me this year. I wish that I could attend, however I used up most of my vacation this year w/ the trip to China. I hope those who are going have a great time....

Rocke,

Did you previously say that you'll be at the Belden Village Mall show in early August? If so, could you get a few items autographed for me? I'll buy you any autographed ticket that you'd like if you can help me out.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Hi Greg,
    Yes, I WILL be set up as a dealer HOF weekend at Belden Village. The autograph list that I posted back on about page 106 is pretty accutate. I know that a few more have been added, but I have also been told that Ron Yary has canceled. I will try to post a fully updated list this weekend. I have to go to my local card/ autograph store to get one. That would be really nice of you to buy me a ticket for an autograph. I don't mind getting stuff signed for you at the show. ) Or anyone else if they are interested. The only thing is, as with all shows, there always seems to be 1 or 2 last minute cancellations.
    Rocke

• << <i>Hey Guys-

I plan on being at the National on Thursday, July 30...and possibly on the 31st. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys. Perhaps we can designate a spot/time for board members to meet.

Bart >>

Bart, as you know, I think that is a GREAT idea. I will post again later ( I am home on my lunch break ) but, I have been working on idea, that one of the well known publications are interested in. Gotta Go !!!!!
    Rocke
  • Rocke,

You are a part-time dealer, also? When do you find time for all of this?:}. What do you deal in mostly?

Ken

• << <i>Rocke,

You are a part-time dealer, also? When do you find time for all of this?:}. What do you deal in mostly?

Ken >>

Hey Ken,
    I do set up at most of the local shows. Jane Bosley, is a pretty big local dealer. She puts on a monthly show at the local Courtyard by Marriott. See her website at www.landofboz.com Her monthly show is always a Sunday only, and she always has 1 or 2 autograph guests. She has had many Football Hall of Famers, about a dozen or so Baseball Hall of Famers , and many present or former Browns or Indians. As I wrote awhile ago, whenever she has someone that flies in, after the show, I get the thrill of taking them out to eat, and then drive them to either the Canton or Cleveland airports. Some of the guys that I have done this for include: Rayfield Wright, Roger Wehrli, Chuck Bednarik, Ray Guy, Fred Dean, and Bobby Mitchell. Then there is another local dealer that puts on local Mall shows, both in Canton and about 15 miles East, in the hometown of Hall of Famer Len Dawson, Alliance. Jim's shows are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, so, I don't do them to often, but always during Hall of Fame weekend. Jim doesn't have a website, but in my opinion, he should. He has a LOT of autographed Football cards. I have a couple of hundred 8 x 10's, a few football cards, a couple of dozen 3 x 5 index cards, a few Goal Line Art cards, three jersey's, and a few of these "stock certificate's " They were made up in 2005, and feature the autograph of EVERY player from the 1964 NFL Champion Cleveland Browns , with the lone exception being Lou Groza, who at the time was the only player that had passed away. Three more players have since died, one of which was Hall of Famer Gene Hickerson. They are signed by 42 Players, including Paul Warfield, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly and Gene Hickerson. They are VERY nice.
    Luckily, I have a VERY understanding wife !!!!!!!!!!!
    Rocke
    Rocke,

Those Stock Certificates are very nice! Are you selling one?

Jim

<< <i>Greg,

Yes, he is still alive. As of today, #343 on the Oldest Living Pro Football player list. As I have stated before, I do not assume the list is 100% correct but there is nothing as detailed out there... In fact, I have added about 20 or so guys in the past few weeks that were not on any address list or were just not known. I have also added more than 5 players that were reported as deceased that are very much alive. Vic Schleich, William Gray Jr., Glenn Young and a few others were all reported as deceased. Schleich did not die in 1998! William 'Bill' Gray Jr. did not die in 1978! Glenn Young did not die in 2008!

These men are the pioneers of the game and people are reporting them as deceased without the slightest verification. Seems someone with the name and a close birth date dies and it is just assumed it is the player.

Some suggestions;

1. use my list www.oldestlivingprofootball.com - I feel comfortable in saying that I have the most up to date and detailed death list from 1990 to today.
    2. use Total Football II - it is not perfect and a bit out dated, but still worth it.
    3. use SSDI - social security death index

Hope it helps. I know we all love to collect the HOF'ers, but these men are the unsung heroes of the football world.

Geez, that was almost like a rant!
    image >>

Jim,

There is nothing wrong with a good rant. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Rocke,

I have seen those stock certificates on E-bay and I agree...they are very nice. I didn't know that you had stuff to sell, maybe I should send you my wantlist:}. Take care and hoping that we can all meet up at the National on Thursday or Friday and put faces to names.

Ken

• << <i>Rocke,

Those Stock Certificates are very nice! Are you selling one?

Jim >>

Hello Jim, Yes I do have a few of them for sale. I have 2 that have been professionally framed by a local framer that does a lot of the framing for the Hall of Fame. They are $300.00 I have 2 more that are NOT framed. I sell the unframed ones for $250.00. Unless I missed them, I did NOT see any on Ebay right now. I haven't really even looked for quite awhile. The last time I did see them, there were 2 of them from different dealers. One had a BIN of $399.00, and the other one had a price of $499.00 or best offer. I bought quite a few of them over a year ago. I kept one for me, and have been selling the rest locally. I am setting up at Jane Bosley's show Sunday, and I always take them to her shows. If you tell me that you want one, I will leave one at home for you. Let me know. And your right, they ARE very nice.
    Rocke
  • bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Hey Rocke & Bill (Zack's dad)

Rocke, let me know if you are still interested in the Turk Edwards/Greasy Neale autograph page. Also, Bill (Zack's dad), let me know if you are still interested in the Henry Jordan cut (I may also have a Henry Jordan signed photo by then too for sale). Otherwise, I may try to move these items at National (either sell/trade to a dealer...or put them in an auction).

Bart

• << <i>Hey Rocke & Bill (Zack's dad)

Rocke, let me know if you are still interested in the Turk Edwards/Greasy Neale autograph page. Also, Bill (Zack's dad), let me know if you are still interested in the Henry Jordan cut (I may also have a Henry Jordan signed photo by then too for sale). Otherwise, I may try to move these items at National (either sell/trade to a dealer...or put them in an auction).

Bart >>

Hello Bart,
    Bart, I will be honest with you, all I can say is I might be interested, BUT, go ahead and try to move it as if I am NOT interested. The thing is, I have committed to buy the Walt Kiesling signed Pittsburgh Steeler letterhead that was auctioned about 4 years ago on Heritage Auctions. I have put A $200.00 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit on it, so if I back out, or don't come up with the balance due by my due date, I lose the $200.00. Personally, I think it is the NICEST Walt Kiesling that I have ever seen. And, since I have only ever seen about 5 or 6 there can't be many, if any, nicer. Rod told me that " it would be awful tough to ever upgrade on that ". So , I do need to concentrate all of my limited financial resources on it at the moment. I hope you understand. PLEASE, if you get an offer that you like on the Edwards, TAKE IT. I can always find another Edwards, but, I doubt that I will ever have another chance at another Kiesling like this.
    Rocke