Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• I love the Ford auto Greg. Is it written in green ink. It looks like it matches the green background of the card
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    greg look for my comments in your other thread bout your auto's
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Great additions Greg!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Super cards Greg!
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    This doesn't involve the HOF but I was hoping someone might give some guidance - I picked up this inscribed photograph of Victor Choctaw Kelley and Grantland Rice. Kelley played college football at Carlisle and Texas A&M and was the coach at Carlisle after Pop Warner. I have two questions about the inscription - first, who wrote it, Kelley or Rice - it seems to me Kelley did because of the nickname included. Second, does it matter much when someone prints their name rather than a cursive signature. The Bill Hewitt autographs I've seen seem to be on the edge of printing, and I've recently picked up a possible Red Grange item where the name is printed. Are there classic examples where the printed name is the standard?

• tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Just a heads-up on an auction ending soon that I saw (I have no connection with the seller).
    25 NFL HOFer autos, including Herber and several other deceased players (Hayes, Hirsch, D. Thomas, etc.)
    25 HOFer autos

I figure it will end up well beyond my price range, but wanted to make sure everyone here knew about it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Nick,

Good buy at $287 on that auction? (Note: I didn't win it) It seems pretty low, but I guess with the Herber being pencil/light/smudged it might be about right? Thomas, Al Davis, Hickerson, and Hayes are reasonably tough pickups obviously...I am thinking at least $150-$175 on those four alone because of the Davis. The rest are certainly common.

Ken
  • UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Wow "khw" never seems to lose anything he bids on.
    I wish the Hickerson was in better shape. It will probably end up with a blue flip.image
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    That was a very nice lot....I'm sure that Kirk will easily double his money...

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Mike,

First, what a great photo. After thinking about it, I also believe it was signed by Kelley. It seems like the most logical answer. It is an interesting piece though. When checking the handwritting it was probably all signed by one person. I think when you look at the 'r' in FRIEND, WILLARD AND VICTOR, they all seem like they were written by the same hand. Why the 'r' is capitalized in the name GRANTLAND RICE is interesting, but I do that with my name or when I write certain letters. Not that unusual.

I would also think that having a 'printed' signature from that time period would also be nothing quite unusual.

Nice find!

Here is a recent item I picked up...

Jack Hagerty (1926 New York Giants, Died 1982) signed photo. A little beat up but I really didn't care.

• shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey HOF Auto Guys,

Thought I'd swing by here and point out that my 1997 Upper Deck Legends Autograph set is ending tomorrow night in the Huggins and Scott auction. The price is still pretty low for what's in there. The nice thing about them is that they were purchased years ago with the intentions of someday getting them PSA graded. Of course that day never happened. ;-)

Anyway, those of you that have purchased a few of the raw ones from me can attest to the high grade condition of the raw cards. The few that are already graded in the batch, I purchased that way. Way back when Beckett use to have those weekly auctions on their website.

So, basically just a shameless plug to try and get some more action on my soon to be gone set. They are very nice cards and I'd love to see them go to a fellow CU member.

If the link below doesn't work, it's lot #1307 over at hugginsandscott

1997 Upper Deck Legends HOF Auto Set

Great thread by the way!!

Good luck to all of you NFL auto collectors out there!

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Hi Mike. I want to check out the auction, but the link isn't working. Can you re-post the link?

Frank

<< <i>Hey HOF Auto Guys,

Thought I'd swing by here and point out that my 1997 Upper Deck Legends Autograph set is ending tomorrow night in the Huggins and Scott auction. The price is still pretty low for what's in there. The nice thing about them is that they were purchased years ago with the intentions of someday getting them PSA graded. Of course that day never happened. ;-)

Anyway, those of you that have purchased a few of the raw ones from me can attest to the high grade condition of the raw cards. The few that are already graded in the batch, I purchased that way. Way back when Beckett use to have those weekly auctions on their website.

So, basically just a shameless plug to try and get some more action on my soon to be gone set. They are very nice cards and I'd love to see them go to a fellow CU member.

If the link below doesn't work, it's lot #1307 over at hugginsandscott

Great thread by the way!!

Good luck to all of you NFL auto collectors out there!

Mike >>

Mike,

Good luck w/ your auction.

To everyone else,

Back in January I bought 5 1997 UD Legends cards from Mike (Staubach, M Webster, Nitschke, Ditka & J Greene) and all would grade at least PSA 8. Mike is more obsessive about condition than I am...(which is saying quite a bit...).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Frank,

Try this link. I think it's working:

Let me know if you win it, I've got a couple of wrappers and an empty box I'll send you ... back from when I had a little wax party building the set.

Good Luck!

Mike

Hey Greg,

If I remember those 5 cards correctly, I was thinking they'd get more PSA 9's and 10's .... than 8's.

Of course, all of my cards ... Shouldabeena10 ;-) lol

I was reading back through this thread and a couple of the others this morning ... Man, you all have really assembled quite an impressive auto / card collection lately! I haven't paid much attention to the HOF Auto and HOF RC threads over the past year or so ... but a lot of you guys have some amazing stuff.

I remember many years ago starting a thread on here to see if anyone was collecting autographed HOF rookie cards. I think the thread got maybe 10 replies total ... and most of the guys thought it was too daunting of a task to attempt, and that RC's and vintage HOF cards were better left unsigned.

It's nice to see the tides finally changed around here because as you all are showing ... they are some great looking cards!

Good luck with your collections and have a great weekend!

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
    Mike,

Good luck with your auction. A little too rich for my blood at the present time.

One of the reason I love my fellow collectors on here is that no one is affraid to post scans, share tips, make trades and offer up links to auctions. Well unless they try to close a deal on an auction behind closed doors!!

But that is the race after all.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Would love to bid on that lot but went deep last night for the Joe Carr endorsed check - not the greatest but it does complete my Class of 1963 HOF set. There were three nice William Hewitt endorsed checks that sold as well.
  • Hello Mike,
    Congrats on your Joe Carr pick-up. I could not go hard for it, as I owe a guy in Texas $1,400.00 to finish off payment for my Walt Kiesling autograph. And I had two of the lots for sale in the Huggins & Scott auction. Unfortunately, they only sold for a total of $975.00, but I can scrape together the rest. I think that you will like the Carr check though. I am pretty sure that I wiped all of my drool off of it after holding it for about 7-10 minutes. H & S was set up at the Fusco Show in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago and the Carr was one of the items that they had on display at their booth. If or when you are able to upgrade your Carr, let me know. I would be interested in refunding you what you paid for it, and that will save you from any sellers fees that you would incur. The funny thing about the check is, the size of the SLAB that the check is in. The picture from the auction doesn't justify the BIG size of the SLAB. Again, congrats on your win, and you should be able to clean the remnants of my drool off with windex and a clean cloth !!!
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    I wonder how long it will take the 600 Bert Bell signed checks to make their way into the market. If it was a card company that bought them, expect to see him in every cut signature insert they can think up.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Of course, knowing the card companies, they probably bought the small lots of player payroll checks and will be destroying those.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Your new link works Mike. Thanks and good luck. I was curious if there were any other cards that I might need. Good luck with the auction. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be back in buying again.
    I can't remember if I asked this before, but does anyone have a Ralph Wilson Jr signed card they would like to sell?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

• << <i>I can't remember if I asked this before, but does anyone have a Ralph Wilson Jr signed card they would like to sell? >>

Hello Reese,
    I do have a signed Buffalo Bills / Ralph Wilson business card, BUT, I can't sell it until I know for a fact that Ralph will / is able to sign his Goal Line Art "GOLD" card. Don't know if you, or anyone else would be interested in it, but I will will put it for sale if he does in fact sign his GLA card.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Hello All,
    Just wondering if anyone out there lives close to Dtroit and is planning on going to the Gibralter show tomorrow Sat. 30th.? They are having Lem Barney, Charlie Sanders, Yale Lary and Joe Schmidt signing. I have a Gary Thomas ( GLA )" LINEBACKERS " print that he did back in 1977. His most well known print was " THE RUNNING BACKS " This is my 2nd " LINEBACKERS " print that I am working on. Since Joe rarely does autograph shows, I am making the 3-1/2 hour drive to Motor City to have him sign it. Was just wondering if anyone else might be there. I am leaving at 8:00 AM , so if anyone will be there, Please post before then.
    Rocke

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't remember if I asked this before, but does anyone have a Ralph Wilson Jr signed card they would like to sell? >>

Hello Reese,
    I do have a signed Buffalo Bills / Ralph Wilson business card, BUT, I can't sell it until I know for a fact that Ralph will / is able to sign his Goal Line Art "GOLD" card. Don't know if you, or anyone else would be interested in it, but I will will put it for sale if he does in fact sign his GLA card.
    Rocke >>

Hey Rocke,

If you are able to upgrade, let me know and I'll gladly buy the business card from you.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Rocke,

I wish I knew you were going. I have a HOF football I have been working on since the early 90's and need those guys. I have not added any for a few years and should probably get working on it. I might have shown it here at some point. It has Nitschke, Musso, Motley, Hirsch, Otto Graham, Tom Fears, Weeb Ewbank, Badgro, Ditka, Donovan, Jack Ham, Joe Namath, Pihos, Tarkenton, Van Buren, Trippi, Jurgensen, Bednarik and probably a ghost signed Bradshaw and Luckman. I have another one w/Tarkenton, Clarence Parker, Sid Gillman and Sammy Baugh.

Maybe next time.

Jim

• bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Just picked up the following items today that I would be willing to sell - if anyone is interested (scans available - just e-mail me an e-mail address to send to):

Henry Jordan cut signature (mattable) - looking for $400
    Jim Finks cut signature (mattable) - looking for $250
    Bob Hayes index card (blue sharpie) - looking for $20
    Earle "Greasy" Neal and Turk Edwards (both mattable) on a yellow album page (2 great signatures) - looking for $600
    Blanton Collier on a 1964 Philadelphia (#42) "Brown's Play of the Year" ballcard - looking for $200
    Alan Ameche ballpoint signature on a Sept. 26, 1953 Penn State at Wisconsin football program - looking for $100

Also have the following 1971 Topps signed cards for sale:

Jim Tyrer (Chiefs - died 1980) - looking for $100
    Hewritt Dixon (Raiders - died 1992) - looking for $100

Bart

Also, look for a 1955 Topps AA card, signed by Turk Edwards, to hit e-bay soon...perhaps next week. I know the seller and it is legit.

Bart
    bdbop@aol.com
    Can you please e-mail a scan of the Blanton Collier auto'd card to montooth13 at yahoo.com?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Bart,
    PLEASE, consider the Bob Hayes..... SOLD !!!!!! I am POSITIVE that I want it.
    Rocke
    Found this photo and thought I would share it. Bronko Nagurski during his wrestling days. It sold for $45!!!! I didn't get it though. Anyone here?

Rocke-

Sorry...it is already sold. I will see if the guy has any more of them and what he would be willing to sell them for. This one came in a package deal with a lot of other stuff.

Bart

• << <i>Rocke,

I wish I knew you were going. I have a HOF football I have been working on since the early 90's and need those guys. I have not added any for a few years and should probably get working on it. I might have shown it here at some point. It has Nitschke, Musso, Motley, Hirsch, Otto Graham, Tom Fears, Weeb Ewbank, Badgro, Ditka, Donovan, Jack Ham, Joe Namath, Pihos, Tarkenton, Van Buren, Trippi, Jurgensen, Bednarik and probably a ghost signed Bradshaw and Luckman. I have another one w/Tarkenton, Clarence Parker, Sid Gillman and Sammy Baugh.

Maybe next time.

Jim >>

Jim,
    I am really sorry. I wish I had made that post a week earlier than I did. As soon as I that I would have that day off of work ( 8 days BEFORE the show in Detroit ) I knew that I would be going. I drove 3 hours each way to get one autograph that I paid $17.00 for. But it was a trip I HAD to make.
    BUT........ the good news is, that Hall of Fame weekend, there is going to be a BIG show at the local Mall here in Canton. I WILL be set up at the show as a dealer. And, as of now, there are ALREADY 17 confirmed Hall of Famers that will be signing at the show that weekend. I don't remember who all of them are, but I have been told by the local show promoter that the following have already committed : Ray Berry, Art Donovan, Lenny Moore, Gino Marchetti , Leroy Kelly, Charley Taylor, Ken Houston, Herb Adderly, Joe Delamielleure, Mike McCormack, Ozzie Newsome, Yale Lary, Charlie Sanders,and Lem Barney. I know that's only 14, but I forget who the other 3 are. I hope a couple of fellow posters will be able to show up. I am sure that more names WILL be added. And the prices will NOT be anywhere close to what that RIP-OFF outfit charges that has autograph signings on the Hall of Fame grounds.
    But.... I digress. Jim, I am am sorry that I didn't make that post sooner. I would be more than happy to get anything signed for you, or ANY other poster, at ANY show that I attend.
    Rocke

<< <i>Found this photo and thought I would share it. Bronko Nagurski during his wrestling days. It sold for $45!!!! I didn't get it though. Anyone here?

image >>

Jim,

That Nagurski photo is great....where do you find this stuff? I normally don't collect signed photos, however that would have been a great pickup - especially for only $45. I was friends with Bronko's grandson Brian during high school. Unfortunately, I met Brian RIGHT after Bronko died...otherwise I might have been able to finagle a private signing.

I have a question for the board; how difficult of an autograph is Blanton Collier?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    It was on a web site that is selling boxing memorabilia.

As for Blanton Collier, I would put him in the "fairly tough" category. I have been looking for a better example of him for a number of years. I have (2), one is a cut on a 3x5 and the other is a dinner napkin, yes, a dinner napkin, those heavy weight things at a restaurant. He signed part of it, I guess after he had dinner, or during....who knows. Kind of a cool item though. Both can be seen on my web site.

Jim

If you have not seen this video, it is certainly worth a look. A youtube clip of the 1903 Princeton/Yale football game. 50,000 people attended. It is the earliest known footage of a football game.

1903 Princton vs. Yale

<< <i>It was on a web site that is selling boxing memorabilia.

As for Blanton Collier, I would put him in the "fairly tough" category. I have been looking for a better example of him for a number of years. I have (2), one is a cut on a 3x5 and the other is a dinner napkin, yes, a dinner napkin, those heavy weight things at a restaurant. He signed part of it, I guess after he had dinner, or during....who knows. Kind of a cool item though. Both can be seen on my web site.

Jim >>

Thanks Jim - much appreciated. I'd really like to add a signed card of his to my collection....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Rocke,

I'd definately be interested to see the auto guest list for the Hall of Fame show. The auto prices at the National are completely ridiculous...but in line with the recent trend upward.

I'd especially like to get rookie cards signed by Willie Wood, Larry Wilson, Randy White, Doug Atkins plus a few others who rarely appear publicly and don't sign TTM...

The auto guest lists for the Houston, Chicago, Chantilly and National shows are almost identical. I swear - Berry, Marchetti, Donovan and Moore are signing together at nearly a half dozen shows in the coming 2 or 3 months....lol

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    If anyone is interested in all the remaining items, will do the Jordan, Finks, Neale/Edwards and Ameche program all for $1100 (which includes shipping)...That's a $1350 value.

Henry Jordan cut signature (mattable) - looking for $400 - SALE PENDING
    Jim Finks cut signature (mattable) - looking for $250
    Bob Hayes index card - SOLD
    Earle "Greasy" Neal and Turk Edwards (both mattable) on a yellow album page (2 great signatures) - looking for $600
    Blanton Collier on a 1964 Philadelphia (#42) "Brown's Play of the Year" ballcard - looking for $200 - SOLD
    Alan Ameche ballpoint signature on a Sept. 26, 1953 Penn State at Wisconsin football program - looking for $100

Bart
    bdbop@aol.com
    Bart,

Thanks for the Blanton Collier auto'd card!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    If anyone is interested in buying a signed Unitas mini-helmet, please PM me.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Hello all,
    This is off of the autograph topic, BUT, check this out. I DEFINITELY wish I had known about this. Go to www.profootballhof.com to see who was visiting the hall on Saturday AND Sunday. Someone, tell me I'm wrong, but doesn't Bill look EXACTLY like his Father.
    Rocke

<< <i>Hello all,
    This is off of the autograph topic, BUT, check this out. I DEFINITELY wish I had known about this. Go to www.profootballhof.com to see who was visiting the hall on Saturday AND Sunday. Someone, tell me I'm wrong, but doesn't Bill look EXACTLY like his Father.
    Rocke >>

Rocke,

Unbelievable - he is a spitting image of his father!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Did anyone see the cost of the autograph session at the HOF on Aug 8th? Each ticket costs $200 which entitles the holder to 1 autograph of Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Randall McDaniel (Ralph Wilson Jr. can't attend...which can't be good news). ADDITIONALLY, there is a $20 charge to mail the autograph tickets to the purchaser.

First off, $200 is absolutely ridiculous for autographs of those 3 players. Come on. Granted it's in line with their typical fees (Smith ~$100, Woodson ~$65 and McDaniel ~$25), but can't they cut the collector's a frigging break during the HOF weekend? Also, why can't a will call booth be on premesis (sp?)? After paying $200 for the auto ticket, why does the purchaser have to be bent over a second time to pay $20 to mail tickets that they'll just bring with them to the signing?

Sorry for the rant...but I find the whole situation rather unpalatable.

I wonder if RW jr isn't signing any longer? He hasn't signed TTM in almost 2 years and I haven't seen him signing at any upcoming shows. I hope there is a private signing in the very near future.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Sorry to be off topic, which I am most of the time, but I wanted to share the BIN purchase from eBay last night - I was especially happy to get the autograph of Joe Foss, Medal of Honor recipient and President of the American Football League - but there are some other nice autographs in there like Joe DiMaggio, Jack Dempsey, and James Braddock. Don Miller and Jim Crowley were at this 1965 dinner but didn't sign the program. I put the item description below the picture, so if anyone knows who the other signers are, please let me know. Thanks. BIN price was $325 - a bargain, I would think.

Item description: This item is a menu from the Sportsnight Banquet of the 67th Annual International Convention of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles. Of the impressive gathering of sports legends gathered there on August 11, 1965, most, but not all signed the back of this menu. You have the scanned images and I will try to work through the high points:

1. Top Left: Lefty Grove - Member of the Major League Baseball All-Century Team and most powerful strikeout pitcher of the 1930s.
    2. Just below Grove: Lefty O'Doul - Won two National League batting championships in the 1930s and retired with a career batting average of .349
    3. Left column, fourth from the top: Eddie Eagan - First person to ever win a medal in both the Summer and Winter Olympics. Eagan won the gold medal in boxing as a Light Heavyweight in 1920. In 1932 he was part of the gold medal-winning bobsled crew at Lake Placid.
    4. Left column, fifth from the top: Red Kelly - NHL Hockey great. Played on eight Stanley Cup teams both with the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    5. Left column, seventh from the top: NO this is NOT Joe Louis : ) This is Joe Foss who was commissioner of the American Football League at the time.
    6. Left column, eighth from the top: Joe DiMaggio - Yankee great
    7. Left column, ninth from the top: Heavyweight Champ
    8. Left column, tenth from the top: Heavyweight Champion and sadly the owner of a lousy pen. Braddock was champion for one fight. He is most famous for being the subject of the movie "Cinderella Man"
    9. Left column, twelfth from the top: Buddy Baer - Heavyweight contender who twice fought Joe Louis for the Heavyweight title, once knocking him out of the ring, also the brother of Heavyweight Champion Max Baer.
    10. Right side in large scrawl: "To my pal Art Tony Galento" - Tony "Two Ton Tony" Galento was a heavyweight contender who also fought Joe Louis for the title, once putting Louis on the floor. He is famous for among several things call Louis a bum right after being knocked out by him. Galento also played a thug in the movie "On the Waterfront"
  • Hi Greg, My son Zack got Ralph Wison to sign through the mail about 6-7 months ago. Zack sent him a nice letter and it came back very quickly. He personalized it but Zack is still really happy with it. I agree with you about the prices for the HOF show. The ticket prices wouldn't be so bad if they didn't need to ship them. That's absurd. I can't figure out how to attach a photo. Can anyone help the newbie?
    The only way to change the prices is to NOT PAY THEM. I have heard people say, for many many years, that autograph prices are too high. Imagine if they did not get a single paying customer. Can you imagine if these 3 guys just sat there and NOBODY came up to have them sign something. How embarrassing! The price would drop after the first hour. They would be so panicked, they would be offering anyone and everyone a huge discount....you could probably name your price. Sadly, that will not happen. People will pony up the outrageous price and it will probably go up each year.

Now, I would love a Sandy Koufax autograph or a Muhammad Ali. They are both doing signings this year. Koufax for around 600 and Ali for 800 or more. These signings are not for people like me. They are for the upper class that need something for their office wall. All the company needs is about 100 to 200 people. That is all they care about. They are not looking for 1,000 people to jump at these signings. The true autograph collector is squeezed out of these things.

Do not pay it.

• I remember about a year or 2 before he passed away, Phil Rizzuto was doing a signing at one of the White Plains NY card shows. The promoter would try to get an area player (Yankee, met, Giant, Knick etc.) to sign for a nominal fee ($10 or free with paid admission). Scooter was signing for $10, but due to his age, would only commit to 600 autos. And this was for any item. Flat, ball, cap whatever. Needless to say the demand for a HOF Yankee @ $10 was over the top. Scooter said that he would continue signing for as long as he could. Well he didn't disappoint. He signed over 1000 autos that day (I believe the final total was 1200 but can't verify).
    Adam Graves of the NY Rangers was another athlete who comes to mind. Tough auto to get in person. Ask him to sign or do a show for charity, and he won't stop signing. Polite and makes time to take pictures with kids.

I agree with TNSPro. If we as collectors decide not to pay sky high prices, they will come down.
    tnspro,

You're exactly right! And of course - who is the promoter for the HOF signing.....Mounted Memories!! They along with Tristar and Steiner are the primary reason why autograph prices are so outrageous. They have taken a simple hobby and completely commercialized (er....destroyed it).

In my opinion, the organizers of the Chantilly show are one of the few promoters who keep this hobby honest. Have you seen the lineup for the upcoming shown? They have nearly 30 NFL HOFers signing; nearly all of which are charging between $15 and $40 per flat. In the overall scheme of things, that's a very reasonable fee and is more in line with what the average collector can afford to pay.

Zaxdad,

I may have to ask your son to submit a few cards on my behalf...lol. Why did Mr. Wilson sign for him? I've tried 3 times in the past year to no avail.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Wow - the HOF football auto set was snubbed again this year! Maybe if Jay, Frank, Reese and I combine our sets, we can win next year (and beat out the baseball auto sets - which seem to win every year!).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    greg,

i have the feeling that they dont even consider this set for the Auto category. If you notice the last couple of winners have been for autos on any medium. Which means that they would be part of the PSA/DNA resgitry. So if all of your cards had blue certs then they might notice you. I doubt that they would ever consider the 97 Legends auto's, Laserview Inscriptions etc for the Auto Category.

so will you be at the 95% level for next year? is that even possible for this set??

i was hoping that my ticket set would have been in the running but my last sub popped a few days late. but I will be able to compete next year as I am over 95% already. also i was surprised to see a 55 All American set win ROY. i was under the impression that it was for a new set type not just newly listed set. maybe my interpretation was wrong.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's