Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    Hello--I am new to the board but have been collecting mainly FB and BB HOF autos for 20 years. Really excited about finding this board! Right now I am looking for any signed 1955 Topps All-American cards. In reading past posts, I see that others have been taken by CJ or UKredskins--I want to throw up sometimes--and I was wondering if anyone had other avenues to find these cards. I have used ebay, Ron Gordon,etc in the past. I look forward to being part of the community!
  • Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard Jed, you will gain a lot of knowledge from everyone on this board. There are several members who collect that signed set.
  • Options
    raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. I know Reece used to have a few of them - I bet he still does if you send him a PM.

Reece's 55 Topps FS Thread
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome aboard. I know Reece used to have a few of them - I bet he still does if you send him a PM.

Reece's 55 Topps FS Thread >>

I have contacted him--thanks!
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome aboard. I know Reece used to have a few of them - I bet he still does if you send him a PM.

Reece's 55 Topps FS Thread >>

I have contacted him--thanks! >>

Welcome to the thread. I have 4 1955 Topps AA for sale - Ace Parker, Leo Nomellini, Bob Odell and Frankie Albert. Below is a link to my E-Bay auctions. Feel free to e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com.

E-Bay Auctions

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Thanks Greg--I have all of those but would be interested if you come across any more!
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Thanks for the love guys! We've been talking. It's always great to find another 55 collector!

I'll try to check in more. I've been MIA lately lol

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Don Maynard or Larry Wilson sign TTM? Picked up some photos I'd like to get signed, don't see them listed for upcoming shows. Thanks! Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm a new member from Blowout and I've recently decided to collect NFL HOF autographs. My main goal is to collect at least 1 autograph from every HOF member . I don't really care what it's on (index card, cut, card, RC, etc) just as long as I have 1 of each. Derrick has been helping me out a ton! Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know if Don Maynard or Larry Wilson sign TTM? Picked up some photos I'd like to get signed, don't see them listed for upcoming shows. Thanks! Hope everyone is doing well. >>

I don't think either of them sign through the mail. I just looked them up on Sports Collectors.net and all I see is failures.
  • Options
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Don't need them but I've got a photo of Don Maynard returning a punt in the Sudden Death game that I'd love to get signed.
  • Options
    bump as this has fallen off the page image

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options
    Been out of town. Good to see I haven't missed anything....
  • Options
    wju2004wju2004 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Yeah, I have actually felt a bit of my drive to find anything down right now. I still need to show the custom I had made and sent in with Derrick's submission, but since that, I haven't really even been looking except for small upgrades.

Actually all my extra money has been going towards other things and have even had it cross my mind a few times to throw in the towel. (No...I'm still not ready to sell that letter yet, Rocke.) lol.

Really trying to keep my drive alive, just haven't felt that thrill for a while I guess.

Edit:

Here's the piece I had made for my Steve Owen:

• Options
    wju- Beautiful card. Wish it was in my collectionimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I know Luckman is one of the hardest signatures to authenticate, but does anyone have any opinions on this? I've read the gridiron greats article as well, but was curious if any of you had an opinion of this.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    I like this Luckman as there is a clear break in the the k in Luckman, the key in a good Luckman. Sid has so many autographs and he seems to always picked up his pen when forming the k in Luckman.

Craig
  • Options

<< <i>I like this Luckman as there is a clear break in the the k in Luckman, the key in a good Luckman. Sid has so many autographs and he seems to always picked up his pen when forming the k in Luckman.

Craig >>

Thanks Derrick for posting this photo for me. And Craig, I bought it for that very reason, the break in the "k". JSA 's opinion was inconclusive....Wanted to get some feedback before trying PSA. On another matter, This new improved Giants O line is almost as bad as last year's!
  • Options
    Joe,
    The Giants O line has improved as the upright Eli can attest to. Some of the runs were Williams making the wrong cut. Do we miss Jennings? Need healthy Rogers Cromarti and Beason for the defense to impro. My sense is Beason will have surgery! Can Wil Beatty get the snap count down. Next 4 games are character testers. Could be playing out the string after the next four. Than I will be left watching the boys and Romophobic lose in the playoffs again and the Eagles keeping the sacred 1960 intact! May be forced to root for Rocke's Browns! On second thought?

Craig
  • Options
    Yes maybe Eli is more "upright", but when you can't run 2 weeks in a row against division opponents, especially when one is giving up 5 runs a pop (Dallas) then the O line is not ready for prime time. I've never liked Beatty, he continues to be a stiff. Don't forget his hold in Philly wiping out Donnell's TD, forcing Coughlin to go for it on 4th down---then Cruz gets hurt. I like Pugh, I like Richburg, the rest are journeymen at best. Oh well we better stop before the rest of the board beats us up!
  • Options

<< <i>I like this Luckman as there is a clear break in the the k in Luckman, the key in a good Luckman. Sid has so many autographs and he seems to always picked up his pen when forming the k in Luckman.

Craig >>

Rod Wizinek weighed in, likes the Luckman too
  • Options
    So Bill Polian and Ron Wolf are this year Contributors finalists.
    It doesn't surprise me, Wolf has been a finalist in the past, and Polian was a good guess for the future, this year they won't need to compete against players.
    It just surprise me not to see neither Eddie D or Art Modell in there.
    Any thoughts???
    I have PSA authenticated 8x10's from both of them, I will try to post the later!!!

My best wishes to all!!!!!
    And Go Niners!!!

Cesar
  • Options
    Here we go:
    The 2 senior nominees for 2014:

">null
  • Options
    Sorry, here I go again, I sometimes forget how to post images:
    Hope you like them and sorry about the quality, I took them with my phone!!!

• Options
    I like the look of that Luckman - and what you say about the K rings true

I haven't bought much lately - still enjoying (and paying for) my best find ever:

• Options
    Thanks for weighing in Rev! Hope all is well.
  • Options

<< <i>So Bill Polian and Ron Wolf are this year Contributors finalists.
    It doesn't surprise me, Wolf has been a finalist in the past, and Polian was a good guess for the future, this year they won't need to compete against players.
    Any thoughts???
    I have PSA authenticated 8x10's from both of them, I will try to post the later!!!

And Go Niners!!!

Cesar >>

OK, say do the sign TTM and who has addresses?
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So Bill Polian and Ron Wolf are this year Contributors finalists.
    Any thoughts???

And Go Niners!!!

Cesar >>

maybe because both worked for multiple teams and built more than one team. also neither were the owners of the team, not that there aren't other owners in the HOF. though I would say that those that currently are played key roles in league wide issues. not sure that Eddie and Art fit that bill.

not to toot my own horn, but i did mention wolf a few months back when we discussed the new contributors slots.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Some of you know I am close friends with the (Hugh) Ray family. Shorty's grandson just wrote a 500 page thesis on him, which is now available on Amazon. Here is an email he wanted me to share with all of you:

Dear Mark:

As a dedicated student of football history I am asking you to reach out to your colleagues on the Internet who research and blog about football. As you know my late grandfather Hugh L. Ray wrote the rules that created the modern American football game. The self-serving history's of the NFL, NCAA and NFHS have deleted Ray's contributions to their games because of greed, copyright concerns and enormous egos.

I have just published a book on Amazon.com titled Hugh L. Ray, THE NFL'S MR. EINSTEIN, Master Designer of the Modern Game. It documents how Hugh Ray reinvented American football by making it safer, faster and more exciting. He wrote over 200 rules for the NFL, NCAA and the High School Federation from 1929-1952. Among them; rules that created the modern passing game, hashmarks, an aerodynamic football, half the distance penalties, free substitution , whistles for all officials, penalty flags, pylons, crossing the plane is an automatic touchdown and almost every other hallmark of today's game.

Mark, please help me get the word out about Hugh Ray's story--the football establishment has done everything it possibly can to hide it and diminish his lifelong contributions.

Thanks and all the best,

Jim

• Options
    Thanks. BTW I have a bunch of old yearbooks from Mr. Ray's high school teaching tenure - I'd be happy to send them to his grandson if he would like them - I bought them in a vain search for an autograph - if the family wants them just contact me through my website www.hapmoran.org or Mark you can give them my email address - Mike
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Not much action on this forum for awhile, so I thought you guys may enjoy this piece. Posted below is a banquet program of the infamous 1901 Michigan football team after they completed their undefeated and unscored upon regular season. This team scored 501 points during Fielding Yost's inaugural season for the Wolverines. They later went on to play in the first Tournament of the Roses game (Rose Bowl) on January 1, 1902 where they crushed Stanford 49-0. This banquet at the Cook House on December 12, 1901 was to celebrate their remarkable season before making the long trip out west to Pasadena five days later.

What makes this program so special is that it is signed by the entire Varsity team, athletic trainers and Board of Athletics. 46 different individuals signed this banquet program that night. Of note are College Hall of Famers Neil Snow, "Willie" Martin Heston, Dan McGugin and Fielding Yost.

I recently acquired this historic piece from a lifelong Michigan collector. His collection, including this program, was featured on an episode of 'Big Ten Treasure Hunter" for the Big Ten Network.

All the best

Mark

• Options
    That is freaking AWESOME! Congrats Mark! Dinner was on my birthday too... Great piece of Michigan football history, was this Jack's or someone else's? Thanks for sharing
    Ohio State football coaches and All-Americans collector.
  • Options
    Thanks Matt. Yes, this was Jack's. We worked on this deal for over two years. He wanted to keep it until the article in Gridiron Greats and the Big Ten show were completed.
  • Options
    When's the Big Ten show coming to the East Coast? image
    Ohio State football coaches and All-Americans collector.
  • Options
    That's a great piece!

On a different level my local card shop called me up to offer me a program from a 1968 banquet in Connecticut to honor Edwin Foster (Ted) Blair by the Fairfield Chapter of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. Buddy Young, Eddie Dooley, Benny Friedman, Mel Hein, George Sauer, Hamilton Fish, Peter Pund (had to look him up), Joe Alexander, and Larry Kelley signed the program.

• Options
    You guys amaze me with these pieces. The fact that they're in your hands and not in a museum boggles my mind. But only in the hands of true collectors can these pieces of football history be appreciated. Thanks for sharing!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    If anyone is looking for a Ron Wolf signed card or index card, or a Bill Polian index card I have some extras available.

Also watch for an exciting new pickup in a couple weeks ☺

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    Hey guys. Hope everyone is doing well. I've gotten some upgrades as of late, but mostly actual cards from packs...so I know that won't be of major interest here. Haha.

However...I have this nice thing coming in. Of course his auto is his contested, but this one has already gotten through PSA and looks pretty good. The envelope I already had has quite a beautiful/bold autograph, but obviously a bit large for storage, plus the 77 TD cards always look nice. (Plus I got 10% off with the e-bay coupon tonight.)

• Options
    It's not the autograph that is contested, but that the photo is of Cliff Montgomery - the auto looks great

Here's the photo the card was made from - Friedman and Montgomery together

• Options

<< <i>It's not the autograph that is contested, but that the photo is of Cliff Montgomery - the auto looks great

Here's the photo the card was made from - Friedman and Montgomery together

image >>

Ahhh. That part I did not even know. Part of why I like talking with you guys on here. Learn something everyday. (And the auto thing, I was thinking Luckman. Must have had him on my mind. Don't ask me why. Lol)

Still tempted to get my old Friedman made into a custom even though it's on an envelope.
  • Options
    Great info Rev!
  • Options
    Bump for a Happy Thanksgiving to all. And rumor has it the Belaggio Poker King will be coming to MD next week!
  • Options

<< <i>Also watch for an exciting new pickup in a couple weeks ☺ >>

Guess I lied. Was hoping I'd have an early birthday(Dec 24th)/Christmas present but was just informed it takes 10-12 weeks to have an item already JSA certified encapsulated by BGS. Seems extreme to me image. So I guess it'll be a while before I can show off a new pick up I have.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    Aw man! Come on Raiderguy... how about a clue?
    Pretty incredible another year has almost gone by. It looks like many of us have added some choice items to our collections ( as usual image ), so another year to be thankful and to start all over in a month!
    Personally I didn't add any HOF'ers - still down to the same 10 although I came close a couple times. I did manage to complete several Championship rosters and have pulled within a few players of completing several more.
    Should be about time for everyone to post their best pickup of the year. I will have to double check mine...image
    Ps Raiderguy -planning on a PSA submission any time soon ?
  • Options

<< <i>Aw man! Come on Raiderguy... how about a clue?
    Pretty incredible another year has almost gone by. It looks like many of us have added some choice items to our collections ( as usual image ), so another year to be thankful and to start all over in a month!
    Personally I didn't add any HOF'ers - still down to the same 10 although I came close a couple times. I did manage to complete several Championship rosters and have pulled within a few players of completing several more.
    Should be about time for everyone to post their best pickup of the year. I will have to double check mine...image
    Ps Raiderguy -planning on a PSA submission any time soon ? >>

My pickup of the year is the one I'm waiting for. It's worth the wait image

The next submission will be the end of January-early February. I'll start sign up in about two weeks.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    A bump before we fall off the page....
  • Options
    if anyone is interested in a $10 blue flip sub see my thread:

Bulk Sub

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Those pieces are just awesome.
    A signed team program from 1901 And what a season!!!!!

Museum is right
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year------and so we don't fall off the page!
  • Options
    Just unwrapped the shorty ray book ☺ can't wait to read it

"In Al We Trust!"