Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Yes I heard they were working on Walter Jones. BTW that guy who bought my Friedman letter put it up in Heritage, and it went for $457 plus the fee! Anyone win the Thorpe signed Hotel Seneca postcard? It was on Ebay as a BIN several months ago at $800 for several weeks. I finally went to buy it and it sold about an hour earlier to a dealer who then tried to sell it at Chantilly for $2K. It finally sold tonight through probstein for $1250+
  • Options
    wju2004wju2004 Posts: 127 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes I heard they were working on Walter Jones. BTW that guy who bought my Friedman letter put it up in Heritage, and it went for $457 plus the fee! Anyone win the Thorpe signed Hotel Seneca postcard? It was on Ebay as a BIN several months ago at $800 for several weeks. I finally went to buy it and it sold about an hour earlier to a dealer who then tried to sell it at Chantilly for $2K. It finally sold tonight through probstein for $1250+ >>

I kept trying to talk myself into just buying that postcard over and over while it sat for $800, but just never pulled the trigger and then it was finally gone. I was surprised it took as long as it did to sell, honestly. I thought it even ended back up on e-bay before going to Prostein for a while. Unfortunately I think it might have been being either shilled by the sender or someone screwing with them, but that person didn't win it. Just the 0 feedback and high percentage...

Sadly, I really would have a hard time buying from Prostein anymore after an incident with a friend of mine, plus finding out a bit more about his reputation in his area. (Especially at shows in that area.) Not going to blabber on here about it and have bought a fair amount from him before, but will certainly thing twice or even thrice before even bidding anymore.

And it was good seeing Rocke again today up in Pittsburgh and finally meeting the Legendary Rod. I unfortunately couldn't stay TOO long as I wasn't feeling 100% after my midnight shift, but had a good time looking around.
  • Options
    In regards to the Jim Thorpe on the Ceneca Post cards, I initially bought it from the guy on eBay. I worked out a deal with him because he had 2. I did give one to a friend to try and sell in Chantilly but he put it up a lot higher then I asked him to. That is why it came back to me. But both ended up being sold on eBay and for more then what Probstein got for it.
  • Options
    It never occurred to me there was more than one, never bothered checking the cert number. My mistake. So that wasn't one of the two that Probstein sold? Anyway I blew it not grabbing it at $800, but I had just got through paying off our buddy Nate for the Tim Mara menu....
  • Options
    Hey J.T.
    I wondered what happened to you. I apologize for not getting to talk to you more than I did.
    I turned about 60 or so items into JSA for authentication. Some for me, some for a friend. One of my items is a SUPER nice Kansas City Chiefs team signed ( about 25 ) autograph sheet from the early ' 70's. Includes Willie Lanier, Jan Stenarud, Len Dawson, Emmitt Thomas, Otis Taylor, and Jim Tyrer. All signed in Black ballpoint or black Flair tip. BEAUTIFUL item. I am getting a Full Letter on it. May sell it, May wait to see what happens in the next couple of years with Taylor and / or Tyrer.

Tons of baseball autographs and cards. Talked with Phil Marks a little, but by the time I got to his table, he had about 80% of his stuff packed up. Show closes at 4:00 on Sunday, but a lot of dealers started packing it in by 1:00. All in all, a good day.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of turning in lots of items for submission, I got the Ok today for another bulk psa submission. For those interested I will be having sign up in about a week and will look to ship to psa the beginning of July.

Rocke, I will have one item I'd like you to take to the national for authentication if you are willing
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of turning in lots of items for submission, I got the Ok today for another bulk psa submission. For those interested I will be having sign up in about a week and will look to ship to psa the beginning of July.

Rocke, I will have one item I'd like you to take to the national for authentication if you are willing >>

No Problem. Will be there Wed. and Thursday, and POSSIBLY on Tuesday.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Hey Nathan,

Are you going to be at Chantilly on Saturday? I might want you to get me a couple of items.

Rocke
  • Options
    The Thorpe Probstein just sold was the second Thorpe I sold. Didn't have to look at the number, because I could tell with the fiber by the autograph. They were both nice and better in person.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Joe, I appreciated it. You got a heck of a piece and now after this week I have an associates degree, win win there! Hey Rocke, I will be there Saturday and Sunday I got you covered no problem, feel free to text/email/pm me details, looks to be a good show!
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>It never occurred to me there was more than one, never bothered checking the cert number. My mistake. So that wasn't one of the two that Probstein sold? Anyway I blew it not grabbing it at $800, but I had just got through paying off our buddy Nate for the Tim Mara menu.... >>

But Joe..... I was always under the impression that you are, as they say, "Independantly Wealthy" So what's the big deal about another 8 bills ????

Seriously though, You can buy a half dozen Thorpe's any day of the week. When a Tim Mara presents itself as available, you have to do, what you have to do.

Speaking of picking up a Tim Mara...

• Options

<< <i>Joe, I appreciated it. You got a heck of a piece and now after this week I have an associates degree, win win there! Hey Rocke, I will be there Saturday and Sunday I got you covered no problem, feel free to text/email/pm me details, looks to be a good show! >>

Congrats Nate but don't get too complacent! To truly be one of the unemployed "millenials" in Obama's economy, you'll need a full bachelors degree, HA!
    Rocke, completely agree on the choice of Mara over Thorpe, but damn, that Thorpe PC was nice at a great price....Kathy and I are currently re-modeling the kitchen, so as money is withdrawn from our retirement savings to pay the contractor, a few bills were diverted to Tom Brady and Al Davis 8 x 10s......
  • Options

<< <i>The Thorpe Probstein just sold was the second Thorpe I sold. Didn't have to look at the number, because I could tell with the fiber by the autograph. They were both nice and better in person. >>

Congrats, you did well. Until I get a nice Thorpe 3 x 5, I will always dream of that $800 Thorpe PC,sigh.....
  • Options
    Just got my www.greyflannelauctions.com catalog in the mail a couple of days ago. If you are a fan of the New York Giants, I STRONGLY suggest you look at all 214 football items. It seems like at least 1/2 of all items are Giants items, including a ticket to the FIRST Giants home game EVER in 1925. Some VERY cool items.

Rocke
  • Options
    That Ken Strong Jersey is museum quality...
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think about my new addition below? I had been searching for a signed Bud Adams card for 5+ years and was thrilled to find a signed vintage card to boot. I haven't seen many Bud Adams signed cards...any idea how tough of a signature he was?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested, the following two cards are for sale. Both are strong, ballpoint pen signatures.

Paul Brown signed rc, $400 obo

Sid Gillman rc, $125 obo

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg, I have seen only the newer Bud Adams autos and a good chunk he has written K.S., I haven't seen an authenticated one with the line underneath like that, seems like it could be his wifes handwriting it is very neat. But thats just my opionion as I havent seen any other old examples. Probably just try psa
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hi,

I currently have the following 1955 Topps All American Autos for sale. If you would like a scan of any particular card please let me know!

Please check out my ebay store. I will consider reasonable offers!
    Ebay Store

Benny Friedman 1955 Topps JSA/SCG
    Larry Kelley 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 1
    Dick Kazmaier 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 2
    Ken Strong 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 4-
    Leo Nomellini 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 4
    Ed Garbisch 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 4MC
    Dan "Tiger" Hill 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 4
    Ace Parker 1955 Topps PSA/DNA 4-
    Marshall Goldberg Topps PSA/DNA 4.5

Not PSA/DNA certified, will offer a 100% guarantee on all raw autos:
    Don Moomaw
    Hugh Gallarneau
    Otto Graham
    George Savitsky
    Ralph Kercheval

Thanks!
    Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Greg, I have seen only the newer Bud Adams autos and a good chunk he has written K.S., I haven't seen an authenticated one with the line underneath like that, seems like it could be his wifes handwriting it is very neat. But thats just my opionion as I havent seen any other old examples. Probably just try psa >>

Thanks for your feedback. I'll send it to PSA on my next submission and see what they say.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Reese,

PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I saw JSA over the weekend at the Dugout Zone in Ellicott City, MD and took a "beating". I submitted 4 photos , 2 Calvin Johnson, 1 Andre Johnson, 1 Reggie Wayne I picked up on Ebay from a seller named grsportsmem, based in Japan. You would think Japan would be a red flag but I bought stuff from them before that has passed and a lot of their inventory has a JSA witness sticker. Anyway, only the Reggie Wayne passed. They promptly refunded my money, but didn't request a return of the failed photos. Has anyone else had any dealings with these guys? The beat down continued as I had a Jimmy Johnson photo fail and again I got a refund with no request for a return (seller: "elvisfan"). Next a Thurman Thomas failed, where the seller claims he got it at a CSA NJ show.He wants it back. And last but not least an 8 x 10 photo signed by Al Davis and Ralph Wilson that I was assured by the seller that he obtained in person before I bought it and told me he'd take it back if it failed, is indeed going back as both sigs failed! If real, it was worth the gamble. I should have known better....
  • Options
    "I should have known better...." Nah dont't worry about it Joe, there are treasures out there and just because it failed doesn't mean the seller wasnt telling the truth. Ive had my fair share of training camp autographs turned down, next up is I got Manny Machado to sign on bobblehead night and Im hoping Jsa realizes Manny always signs one M and and a Y looking thing...and I got one of the ones he actually signed neatly. As for the company in Japan I dont know if its the one your talking about but this one consistently gets jsa certs on modern superstars and then chargesa price like $40. After buying the photo and getting the cert they should be down to making like 10-15 bucks off the autograph. Now you tell me how are they getting multiples of those guys who charge $70+ at shows to sign the 8x10 for them to make ten bucks. You may say oh they got them in person, but if they did they would haveto either A.) Ship them to Japan to the seller or B.) Fly to Japan both of which would destroy thiere profits. It makes no buisness sense and personally there are alot of small things I don't like in some of those signatures. If the items from Japan and priced LOWER then you can get it here in the states theres probably a problem, its hard to authenticate modern scribbles alot of good ones go uncertified and alot of bad ones slip in the cracks.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Hey Joe, I agree with Nathan.....I've bought stuff on eBay real cheap because of the sellers guarantee and the ones that didn't pass they refunded my money and I've had some that passed. I bought two 3x5's from a VERY prominent nationally known seller that didn't pass PSA nor did they pass SGC....I won't mention his name but he promptly refunded my money and assured me that he doesn't sell fakes. I think these two just slipped past him because I've bought quite a few items from him that passed with flying colors. I did find one seller who was selling an item with a JSA stamp that looked pretty suspicious, I sent Jimmy III a picture of the stamp and he said that it was a fake stamp. It wasn't even the right size or shape....within a day or so the item was withdrawn from eBay. What Nathan is saying about purchasing from Japan makes sense. My only dealings with a Japanese reseller was DVD's I've had some that were bad, they promptly sent me out replacements and didn't want the others back.
  • Options

<< <i>Reese,

PM sent.

Greg M. >>

Greg,

PM back

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Joe, I agree with Nathan.....I've bought stuff on eBay real cheap because of the sellers guarantee and the ones that didn't pass they refunded my money and I've had some that passed. I bought two 3x5's from a VERY prominent nationally known seller that didn't pass PSA nor did they pass SGC....I won't mention his name but he promptly refunded my money and assured me that he doesn't sell fakes. I think these two just slipped past him because I've bought quite a few items from him that passed with flying colors. I did find one seller who was selling an item with a JSA stamp that looked pretty suspicious, I sent Jimmy III a picture of the stamp and he said that it was a fake stamp. It wasn't even the right size or shape....within a day or so the item was withdrawn from eBay. What Nathan is saying about purchasing from Japan makes sense. My only dealings with a Japanese reseller was DVD's I've had some that were bad, they promptly sent me out replacements and didn't want the others back. >>

I agree with everything you guys are saying. Also they ship for free via express mail from Japan which costs them about $30 , so if they sell signed photos for $30 they are losing money. If anyone wants to see the Davis photo before I ship it back, lmk and I'll send a scan.
  • Options
    wju2004wju2004 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    RIP to another HOF Coach. Lost Chuck Noll tonight guys.
  • Options
    cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Hey Guys,

Recently I acquired the estate of Charles D. Daly, inaugural College Hall of Fame quarterback for Harvard and West Point. Daly was a 3 x All-American for Harvard from 1898-1900. He was so impressive his ability caught the eye of a famous football fan - Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt, a Harvard graduate himself, wanted to improve the football play at West Point. So Roosevelt personally recruited Daly to enroll at the Academy, where Daly was awarded All-American honors in 1901 and 1902. Daly thus became the only 5 x All-American football player. Daly graduated from USMA in 1905 and later coached West Point from 1913-22 (with a small interruption during WW1). Daly coached prominent USMA alumni such as Eisenhower, Patton and Stilwell. In 1921 Daly founded the American Football Coaches Association, where he was the first president. Daly passed away in 1959.

I'm still going through much of the archive, but I thought these pieces were pretty cool and worth sharing.

Here is a signed letter by Daly.

A signed photo by General Joseph Stilwell to his former coach

1933 Retirement letter from General Douglas MacArthur

This piece requires a bit more research but it may be Daly's Inaugural College Hall of Fame certificate.

Lifetime membership card for the AFCA. Notice the #1 for first President.

Thanks for letting me share. All the best - Mark
  • Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Mark, thanks for sharing those items are awesome!
  • Options
    "This piece requires a bit more research but it may be Daly's Inaugural College Hall of Fame certificate." -Thats pure sickness, I know the college Im going to has Dick Harlows, one day I wish theyd put new sports stuff in the display case so I can buy it.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    Hey Rev, the article of you on sports collectors daily was an awesome read! (:
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    Link??

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options
    Mark, thanks for sharing those amazing items on Daly. It's always impressive to see what has come your way ! MacArthur' s fascination with football has always been interesting and that letter is a real gem .
    And Mike- I think you're now the most famous person I know. Well, the most credible anywayimage
    Nice write up and I think it touched nicely on the best aspects of collecting - even if it Isn't someone you are related to. I'll have a Hap Moran in my collection one day!!
    Let's see if I can link it up somehow...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/collecting-father/?utm_source=Sports+Collectors+Daily+-+All+Posts&utm_campaign=e0f6b18f98-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ed7e4a29a0-e0f6b18f98-66168105

Well, copy &paste. Barbaric I know..
  • Options
    Hey guys just checking in! I've made some great progress on my 1955 Topps AA Autograph set over the last couple months. I currently have the number #1 registry spot at 55% complete. I have a handful of cards left to grade that will be sent in soon. Below is the card I'm most excited about! Hope everyone is doing well!

Here's a link to my set if anyone is interested:
    Set Registry

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Great 55 AA set Reese. You should talk to PSA have them take out the players from the set that could not have signed like Thorpe & Kinnick. The guy who had the top set has been selling off his collection recently, I was able to pick up my signed Friedman from him. Good luck with the rest of the set.
  • Options
    cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Very nice set Reese. Have you ever seen a signed Brick Muller, Willie Heston or Bruce Smith 1955 Topps AA card?
  • Options

<< <i>Great 55 AA set Reese. You should talk to PSA have them take out the players from the set that could not have signed like Thorpe & Kinnick. The guy who had the top set has been selling off his collection recently, I was able to pick up my signed Friedman from him. Good luck with the rest of the set. >>

I bought a number of upgrades and pop 1's from him. He's a great guy!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice set Reese. Have you ever seen a signed Brick Muller, Willie Heston or Bruce Smith 1955 Topps AA card? >>

I have not seen any of the above. I had a guy offer me a Bruce Smith once but could never produce a scan. KHW had a signed 48 Bowman Bruce Smith listed maybe a year ago. That's the only signed card I've ever seen.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    There is a guy on the Blowout forums who has a Bruce Smith Signed '55. I may be able to track the thread down if you want. I remember him saying he had like $3,500 invested into it

**EDIT - Sorry I found the thread. It's the 48 Bowman you referenced that he has $3,500 invested in***

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    Nice going Reese - #1 in the polls. I love that set . A good one to rule.
    Kind of staying close to topic here I am looking for a 1957 Topps Jim Patton ( NY Giants) PSA/ . This came up for auction last year and, and well I just missed out.
    I assume there is a probability a board member here has it . If this rings a bell for anyone it's " The One That Got Away " for me. We all have those no doubt!
    Patton was definitely the Hall of Very Good and I've got extra grandkids to trade...or a more traditional means Thanks!
    B t w: just 2 months until t h e HOF Game! Wow!
  • Options

<< <i>There is a guy on the Blowout forums who has a Bruce Smith Signed '55. I may be able to track the thread down if you want. I remember him saying he had like $3,500 invested into it

**EDIT - Sorry I found the thread. It's the 48 Bowman you referenced that he has $3,500 invested in*** >>

I appreciate the help! I remember seeing that card in his store thinking $3500 is nuts!!! The next day it had sold lol.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Nice going Reese - #1 in the polls. I love that set . A good one to rule.
    Kind of staying close to topic here I am looking for a 1957 Topps Jim Patton ( NY Giants) PSA/ . This came up for auction last year and, and well I just missed out.
    I assume there is a probability a board member here has it . If this rings a bell for anyone it's " The One That Got Away " for me. We all have those no doubt!
    Patton was definitely the Hall of Very Good and I've got extra grandkids to trade...or a more traditional means Thanks!
    B t w: just 2 months until t h e HOF Game! Wow! >>

Thanks!

I know Greg M has been working on the 57 set for some time now. He might be able to help!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Congrats on your progress Reese. When you and Greg first started this set, I thought you were nuts. It's tough enough to find some of these players signatures on any item. But to narrow down to only the 55 set is insane. Yet you guys continue to find these treasures out there. Congrats and keep posting. I love to read about your progress.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I agree - great cards!

Thought they were nuts....image

Todd
  • Options
    Whoever got the unpersonalized Tunnell 8x10 on ebay, I will go on record as saying im jealous and hoping its somebody on here. Thats an epic piece.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>Nice going Reese - #1 in the polls. I love that set . A good one to rule.
    B t w: just 2 months until t h e HOF Game! Wow! >>

I won the 57 Topps Jim Patton and am now only 12 cards away from finishing the set. Has anyone seen a signed 57 Topps Len Ford or Ronnie Knox? Those are my two "white whales" for the 57 Topps set. I've seen 3 or 4 signed 55 Bowman Len Ford rc's - but never a signed 57 Topps. Also, Ronnie Knox fell off the face of the earth after playing football - and his signature seems nearly impossible to find.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Great to see you posting again Greg. I'm looking for a good Len Ford signature myself. LMK if you see one.
    Also, how's your progress on your other sets.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Pm sent frank

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    Reese,

Thanks for posting a scan of the Davey O'Brian. That card is one of my top 5 white whales....congrats on a fantastic pickup. I've really enjoyed watching your progress on the 55 Topps AA set.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Great to see you posting again Greg. I'm looking for a good Len Ford signature myself. LMK if you see one.
    Also, how's your progress on your other sets. >>

Frank,

I've owed you an e-mail response for the past 6 months....ughhh. I'll keep an eye out for a Len Ford for you.

I haven't made much progress on my HOF rc set lately. I'm sitting at 93%+ but haven't added anything exciting lately. I still have several signed rc to resubmit including Jim Finks, Wayne Millner, Steve Owen and Benny Friedman. Out of the four cards, the only one that I'm iffy on is the Steve Owen. I think that it originated from C.J. - which makes me question its authenticity - although it was slabbed by JSA.

I'm still doing a lot of TTM - but am running out of older players to write to.

I hope you're doing well and I'll reach out to you soon.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References: