Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Arny, thanks for the info.....as far as submitting via mail, I've done it several times and usually I don't have any problems......however these are the first DK's that I sent with the STEELE/STEEL issue.....guess they just don't read the submissions closely enough or pay attention when grading the cards. You'd think they would have some sort of "special issue" sheet to watch for things like this.

oh well, will hopefully find out tomorrow.

• Options
    I recently got back my latest submission to PSA and it included a PSA 10 Duane Walker and a PSA 9 also. I decided to keep the 9 and list the 10 on ebay......it just went on today if anyone is interested. The 9 will find it's way to my registry sets. image Bill, your cards went out today. I didn't realize that the post office was open today and when I discovered it was I wanted to get your cards out.....hopefully they will be out on the coast before Christmas.image
  • Options
    I'd go for the Duane Walker 10, but I already have a 9 and I don't necessarily need to upgrade right now. I'd rather look for cards that I need altogether. Good luck on the sale!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Al, Arnie, and others:

When submitting 84D's I use my own Excel version of psa's sub form, so I have (or can make) room to 'tailor' card particulars to the form. In the case of DK's, I will note variations by highlighting, then spelling out IN LARGE LETTERS what needs to happen. Just attach this sheet to the psa printed version and cross your fingers. On this particular submission all went well with the DK's..............

• Options
    Last week some of you guys were asking about 'stinkynuts' - whelp, here's whats probably happening to those pruchased 84D sets........................

stinkynuts
  • Options
    I know he bought a lot more sets than that. I wonder if those are just the rejects on quality or if possibly he has skimmed off the really nice stuff for himself and rebuilt the sets with lesser material.
    No real way to know.
    I certainly won't be buying from him on these.
    Ray
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Bill, your package arrived.....THANKS hopefully yours should be there soon also. Got back my last submission to PSA. I'm going to open tonight to see what I got...I can't believe I actually wanted until the package arrived.......I'll fill you all in later if I get to it....
  • Options
    I noticed that you used Buy It Now on that Bumbry 10 that was on eBay. Was that your ID Bill? Don't you already have a 10?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,
    Yes, is it my ebay ID and yes I have a Bumbry 10, but there is a very good reason for hitting the BIN - I'll pm you the details. I also hit the BIN on several psa 9's from Duke4life - most are the wider border cards from wax/rack that I prefer and these will replace (at least be able to compare) those to what I already have. My philosophy is to put the nicest cards I can obtain in the set, regardless if they are 9's or 10s.

With the Holidays just around the corner and the 84D train seemingly moving full speed ahead, I'd like to reflect and thank all of you guys for participating in the 84D set and this thread. It wasn't that long ago that a few of us were adding to our sets individually, not really knowing each other, but this thread kinda pulled us all together and created a great environment to discuss these cards and help each other out. Now look what's going on - Arny nearing the summit of the 84D mountain, Robert is now at 70% psa 10's, Ray blitzes to the 60% complete mark, Al is already in the 40%+ club. McCardguy (Andrew) just jumped on the train - welcome! - and looks like another new set GM (G. Meyer) is almost at 10% - welcome!

Hopefully 2006 will provide us with even more fun and even more folks who will find the 84D set for what it is: the best of the 80's - period! (just my opinion - no offense to all the other great sets!)

Additionally, last week I had an opportunity to talk to Santa via cell phone, and he has a few surprises for you. But he told me it's "kids first", so he'll get these cards to you as soon as he can........

To Arny - A 1/1 psa 9 of Tug Mcgraw will find a new home in FL.

To Robert (rvc) - A 1/2 psa 10 of Doug Frobel will find a new home in NJ.

To Ray - A 1/3 psa 9 of Enos Cabell will find a new home in ME.

To Al - a few psa 9's will find find a new home in OH.

To Andrew - a few psa 9's will find a new home with you.

Here's wishing you all a very Merry Christmas to you and your families!

Bill

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    thanks bill, you've done great things getting this thread going and pulling us all together!
    Bob
  • Options
    That's very generous of you Bill! Thanks a lot!

In the spirit of giving, I will also give Robert, Ray, Al & Andrew their choice of an '84 Donruss card from my eBay store (I don't have a lot of time to search for what you guys need, so check 'em out...and Bill, you probably have them all already) so that we can help each other move up the ranks!

Have a great rest of the year and a very Happy and prosperous New Year!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks guys, and merry christmas to all of you.....I'll have to dig into my bag of tricks to see if I have anything that can help you guys out......
  • Options

Hey guys, just wanted to wake everyone up.......heard a rumor that $5 special is coming back next month......guess these babies will soon be seeing the light of day!!!!
  • Options
    Hey guys, just wanted to wake everyone up.......heard a rumor that $5 special is coming back next month......

From your mouth, to Gods (and PSA's) earsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I just wanted to bump this thread back to the top where it belongs and wish everyone a great and happy new year. I hope everyone will be safe this weekend.

I am looking forward to this new year as it will give me the opportunity to really get going on this set. You guys are great and I appreciate the support!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Santa's Christmas presents will be mailed this weekend. The reindeer are tired of fighting cross winds just below the jet stream and the sleigh has a bent runner from glancing off a high voltage tower near Denver, so it's USPS for Santa.
  • Options
    Happy New Year to you too mccardguy! And, thanks for the nice comments. It's always good to have another person on board with the '84 Donruss set, that's for sure!

By the way, no one has selected any of my '84 Donruss cards from my eBay store. I guess you guys have them all.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arnyvee.....That is a generous offer but I feel guilty about taking anything from you. I havnt been here all that long and I have nothing to give in return that you could possibly need. I have been collecting for many years but have bought and sold off my collection 3 or 4 times now and not alot of things remain!!

Call me old fashioned but I like to exchange gifts not just take. I do appreciate the offer and it is very generous of you!!. You and the others on this board are what this hobby is all about!! Thanks
  • Options
    ArnyVee....haven't had a chance to check out your offer......hopefully once the holidays cool down it will provide more time to enjoy the hobby I'm adicted to...meaning 84 Donruss. And 70 and 71 Topps football and 77, 78 and 79 Topps basketball, and on and on........everytime I turn around there is another set I want to start....this is getting scary!!imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    ArvyVee....if you still have the Ken singleton PSA 9 I'll take you up on your offer......also PM me, I have a PSA 10 you may be interested in.....how do you do the PM's....I've lost touch with reality tonight as you can tell by my last post......
  • Options
    Al, the Singleton is yours! And, I PMed you about the 10 that you have.

MCCardGuy, you can pick any of the ones that I'm listing. There are no strings attached. Just keep an eye out for some cards that I need and you can send one to me down the road. It's no problem with me image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

You have a deal!! Again that's very generous of you and I will keep my eyes out for something you can use!!

Since he was a nutjob in the 80's and its a cool card, the 84 Donruss Andujar would be kinda cool to have.

Again, Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe New Year!!
  • Options
    Mccardguy....I just listed a number of PSA 9's at low opening bid if you are interested.........also anyone else on the thread check them out, maybe something will catch your eye......Bill/Arny: You may want to pass, believe you have them all already.........

Anyone putting together a submission????? I'm going to break some bricks this week.....Let's go for it!!!imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    With the new January deal, I will definitely be putting some submissions out there. Mostly for my '85 Leafs, but I might find a few more '84 Donruss cards to submit.

Keep us posted of those submissions when the grades pop!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Al.....Thanks for the heads up!! I will be placing some bids on your cards!!
  • Options
    It's been rather quiet here lately. Maybe too much 84D over the holidays.

Here's a real nice piece of eye candy that just entered the registry world. I've spend more money trying to obtain a nice example in 9 or 10 then any other card in my set. 6 or so psa 8's via submissions gets kinda old. I finally bought Al's 1/1 9, but when I saw this 1/1 10 I had to have it. This is the first Law I've seen this nicely centered in ANY condition, and no blurred photo to boot. It's a definite keeper!

All I can say is - FINALLY!

Now just 3 more to go................

BTW, Santa's helper will be mailing cards this weekend - FINALLY!
  • Options
    sweet law, bill
    Bob
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Bill, the HOF Complete Set is waiting for you once you get those last three ....
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Neal,

You aren't hinting at anything, are you? image

• Options
    BTW, how many of you guys will be submitting 84Ds within the next 2 months on the $5 special? I'll probably have 25-50 to go to Newport Beach end of January.
  • Options
    That has to be the clearest card I have ever seen. Usually these are somewhat blurry but that Law looks like a actual photograph. Very nice
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    not at all Bill image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    bill, i rec'd my dave collins...thanks again!
    Bob
  • Options
    I've sent 25 cards in already. I'm probably going to send some more....the only thing I'm running into is trying to decide what cards to submit. I'm working on a 1973 and 1975 Topps basketball set also and have to decide which one's to send in.......decisions, decisions!!!
  • Options
    Al, just send in cards that we all need! Lots of them! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks Arny....at least it's bringing folks good luck....no Vance Law cards anywhere until I got the 9 back...now Bill gets a 10........feast or famine.......I just broke another factory set and have another Law I'm going to submit...maybe I'll get a 10 also........NOT!!!! That's Bill's territory.....I did pick up a Sandberg 9 that I thought was pretty sharp....I'm still looking for more.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking about buying some unopened 84 Donruss, Wax or Rack ? What are the biggest problems encountered with the 84's and what are your experiences with unopened 84 donruss. Thanks !

• Options
    Hey Tennesse.....I've only been working on the set for a few months but there is only one word to describe the biggest issue I've discovered so far:

CENTERINGCENTERINGCENTERING
  • Options
    Happy New Years guys. I'm back after taking a short rest. I was a bit tuckered out from that sprint to 60% image

Unfortunately I don't currently have any 84' Donruss raw material to submit this go around. I am hoping a few more dealers will get on the horse so more stuff shows up on eBay.
    Seems like we really got this train rolling and my best to everyone towards making some more progress on their sets this year.
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just to let you 84 Donruss collectors what a fun thread this is to read. I kind of live vircariously through all your support for each other. I thought of starting an 84 Topps BB thread, but figured I would be the only one on it. So I stop in hear from time to time to see what is going on. Nice to see a good support group.

Stingray
  • Options
    Sting,
    glad you enjoy the thread - jump in anytime you like. If you ever tire of 84 Topps, you're always welcome aboard the 84D train! Many of us can get you started down the track......... image
  • Options
    My Trade Winds set cards are available for trade or sale but I thought I would throw out the PSA 10's here at a price for anybody who wants them.
    4 Castino DK Pop 10 $10 ALL SOLD
    24 Guerrero DK Pop 4 $20
    423 Downing Pop 13 $10
    475 Hendrick Pop 15 $6
    559 Bonnell Pop 11 $10
    625 Runnin Reds Pop 26 $5

Delivered prices.
    PM or email me at aja4rayb@msn.com

If there is anything else in the Trade Winds set you want; I'm sure we can work it out.
    RayB
  • Options
    Bill,
    Received the Cabell; Thanks so much.
    Please delete cert# from your set. image
    Ray
  • Options
    Ray, I could use the Hendrick PSA 10.

Are there any 9s that you need from the few that I have left in my store for trade? Or, would you rather have the cash?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bill, I received the Tug McGraw PSA 9...thanks so much! I wish that I had something that you needed to give back. I'll keep an eye out for you. image

By the way, I picked up a full set of '84 Donruss and ended up with about a dozen cards that could get 9s and with outside shots at 10s. Of the dozen, I have a Guidry, Clancy, Fitzgerald & Bumbry. We'll see what I end up with after I submit those.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Anyone see that Kruk has a wax case of 84D up right now?

Link

I'd never seen a full case offered before. Thought it was interesting.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I haven't seen a case of '84 Donruss in a LONG time! But, at nearly $200/box, it's a bit on the high side.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Redvalleyforge (?) has offered a few cases over the past 3 years but like Kruk, were around $200 per box. Figure shipping/insurance, you'll pay a tad over $.33 cents per card if you bust it. Considering the distinct possibility of corner dings from handling the case to the typical card O/C you'll find, I doubt it's worth the gamble. Tempting mind you, but not enough for me to hit the 'button' ........
  • Options
    .............just wanted to up my post count by hitting #400 on the thread.