Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Al.......glad to help out. Onward and upward!

Here's a scan of 2 fitzgeralds and a Youngblood that were submitted awhile ago. These are the best centered I've come across so far and the Youngblood may rank up there with the Morino if all the raw I have is any indication. In a word - brutal.

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    WOW!! I see what you mean about the Fitz card......I just bought a factory set, I'll have to see what the card looks like when I open the packs. I'll post some pictures.
  • Options
    Bill and Al,
    I just posted my Fitzgerald in my set if anybody knows how to transpose that picture here. It's a little off top to bottom but super clean. Thrilled that they decided to 9 it.
    Ray

Slowly posting some of the boatload of cards I got in. It's great fun to look at these again one by one as I scan them.
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Here you go Ray................

The L/R looks super. One of my psa 8's looks extremely close in the centering department to your 9. hmmmm...........I may have to take action. imageimage
  • Options
    BTW, this just came in the mail today. Lots of them out there but the interest in the Express keeps the prices high. I think a less than desirable scan by the seller kept the price reasonable.

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    bill, sweet ryan! i thought the same thing about your fitzgerald.
    Bob
  • Options
    great cards guys....I got word on Friday that PSA received my 54 card submission. Now let's see howlong it takes for them to get them graded. I'll keep ya posted....
  • Options
    Yes, great looking Ryan.

Al, if my subs were any indication, it should only be a few days. Don't be surprised if they pop Wednesday night.
    Ray
  • Options
    Had to get this thread back on the first page. Anticipation is now my enemy. I want to open these but I ran out of CardSaver 1's so will wait until I get some more. I hope to get them this weekend so I can bust these up and see what dandy's await my eyes. I'll keep everyone up to date on what I find.
  • Options
    Al,
    Wish I'd have known you needed some card saver 1's, as I could have sent them with a special 'package' coming your way!

Anyway, have fun busting those cello blocks when the time comes. And this leads me to a 1984D registry declaration statement:

"It is the sole duty, obligation, and privilege of 1984D registry participants to bust each and every 1984D factory set they shall encounter. Failure to do so is not in accordance nor spirit of the registry set community.”
  • Options

<< <i>
    "It is the sole duty, obligation, and privilege of 1984D registry participants to bust each and every 1984D factory set they shall encounter. Failure to do so is not in accordance nor spirit of the registry set community.” >>

Done !!!

Yee-haa!!
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Ray/Bill, I will be busting soon..........already have some more card savers on the way......should have them by the weekend!!! Now if I can tear myself away from the football games, I'll be busting packs left and right!!!! Hey, maybe I'll watch and bust at the same time!!!

And with a little luck maybe I'll have my PSA submission results back by then........will make for a joyous holiday weekend.

By the way, to all fellow registry members and board participants: HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

al.
  • Options
    I decided to go back a review all the rest of the cards left in that high end set I have and found 20 more candidates for submission. Sent them yesterday.
    I am at the point now where I'll need to go scouting for more raw material. image
    Best of Luck again with those submissions Al. Let us know when the grades pop.

On another note, I noticed you (Al) have a few PSA 10's out on eBay now? Any reason your selling the 10's? Hang on to them and I will be able to trade you multiple cards (9's) for the one's I need.
    RayB
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I must say that I enjoy reading this thread ... seems like you guys are having a BLAST and that is really what this hobby is all about.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I know, isn't that funny. I do the same, I have enjoyed reading and once in a while trying to help them. But it does inspire me when I am reading there posts. Keep it going guys.

Stingray
  • Options
    Ray, I'll be honest and say that I bought a lot from Bill and the 10's were in the lot. He's been a great help in getting my set off the ground. I have no problem with trading if they don't sell. I'm going to try and put together a complete PSA 9 set if I can. I realize that there is much work to do and I don't want to compete with Bill on the five cards he needs. I never realized the amount of trading that goes on with trying to complete sets with everyone trying to help each other out.......
  • Options
    My submission posted.....here is what I got...I was a little disappointed on the DK's but what can you say!!! If I counted right there are 28 PSA 9's and 3 PSA 10's, so that would be about a 58% success rate. Well at least I'll have some 8's to fill the set until I can get 9's.

Bill, I can only be amazed at your sets now that I look at how my first submission for this year turned out....guess I need to make sure my glasses are cleaner next time I'm selecting them for submission!!! Also none of these were the cards that I had sent you...... If any of you are interested I did have some great success with some older basketball...check it out under submission 583315 zip 44130

1984 DONRUSS 8 DAVE DRAVECKY DIAMOND KINGS-STEELE 8
    1984 DONRUSS 2 DAVE CONCEPCION DIAMOND KINGS-STEELE 9
    1984 DONRUSS CHECKLIST 1-26 DIAMOND KINGS-STEELE 8
    1984 DONRUSS 546 VANCE LAW N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 12 RAY KNIGHT DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 11 HAL McRAE DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 10
    1984 DONRUSS 9 AL OLIVER DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 10 DAVE RIGHETTI DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 8 DAVE DRAVECKY DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 7 JACK CLARK DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 6 RUSTY STAUB DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 5 LEON DURHAM DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 4 JOHN CASTINO DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 3 DWAYNE MURPHY DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 2 DAVE CONCEPCION DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8ST
    1984 DONRUSS 205 DAVID VON OHLEN N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 201 MARK DAVIS N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 175 WILLIE WILSON N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 174 PEDRO GUERRERO N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 171 CHET LEMON N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 170 RICK MANNING N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 169 MIKE FLANAGAN N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 165 RICK CAMP N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 157 BRYAN LITTLE N/A 10
    1984 DONRUSS 156 JEFF BURROUGHS N/A 8ST
    1984 DONRUSS 139 SID MONGE N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 128 TOM NIEDENFUER N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 119 JIM CLANCY N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 91 JOHN HENRY JOHNSON N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS MIKE STENHOUSE NO NUMBER ON BACK 8
    1984 DONRUSS 14 BOB HORNER DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 13 BRUCE SUTTER DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 15 LANCE PARRISH DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS 16 MATT YOUNG DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 18 RON KITTLE DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 19 JIM CLANCY DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 20 BILL MADLOCK DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    1984 DONRUSS CHECKLIST 1-26 DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8
    1984 DONRUSS 31 DION JAMES N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 40 MIKE FUENTES N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 45 BRIAN DAYETT N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 67 LEON DURHAM N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 56 BUDDY BELL N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 206 MIKE LaCOSS N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 207 JUAN BENIQUEZ N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 209 BOBBY RAMOS N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 310 C. WASHINGTON N/A 10
    1984 DONRUSS 210 AL BUMBRY N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 211 MARK BROUHARD N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 222 FRANK WHITE N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 229 BEN OGLIVIE N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 236 ATLEE HAMMAKER N/A 8
    1984 DONRUSS 244 RON KITTLE N/A 9
    1984 DONRUSS 17 FRED LYNN DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 8

• Options
    Al,
    Your submission was like my first 84D one a few years ago. I had enough 8's to scare the crap out of me - and it was a while before I submitted again. On the positive side, you've got some very low pop and 1/1 cards. The Bell, Niedenfuer, Von Ohlen, Bumbry, Beniquez, Ramos, and Brouhard are all toughies, and you've now got them out of the way. Little is a 1/1 so that's a gotta-feel-good. Not sure about the DK's, but centering may be the culprit.

I've got a small sub going in next week. The Bumbry should be at least a lock 9, and some other low pops have 10 potential. The Mattingly I'm submitting is every bit as nice as the psa 10 listed right now on ebay, but I'm not holding my breath. I should have enough 9'ish material to boost the master set into the high 98% or low 99% range, but still don't have the few lock 9 raw cards to get me to 100% in the basic.

Neal and Stingray - jump in any time on this 24/7/365 Donruss party. It's a great group period. Miss Arny though - between a new job the hurricane, I'm sure he's got this hands full. And that Ray guy........man, he'll be knock'in at the 50% door very very soon, but that's ok because there's no speed limit in 84D land.

Have a good Thanksgiving all.........................................

Bill
  • Options
    Al,
    Always great fun when your submission pops! Congrats! Bill's right. Getting that elusive Bumbry out of the way is huge.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ray
  • Options
    I opened one of the bricks from the factory set I got. Wanted to see what the Fitzgerald and youngblood looked like.....well, here's scan of Fitz but the youngblood wasn't even worthy of a scan...thought the Cerone was pretty nice....oh well guess I'll be getting an 8 for my set...

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    A while back I posted about this set and you all got me excited enough to pull out the set I was working on years ago. I have decided that at this time I am going to get the Key cards and Hall of famers in psa 9 or better condition and keep the rest of my set raw. Hopefully some day I will be able to grade the rest of it wjen funds become more plentyfull!! I have you all to blame for this 1984 Donruss sickness!!

I need about 100 cards to either finish the set or at least upgrade on the centering. I am not needing dead centered cards at this time but I would like to upgrade the ones where the picture is almost off the card!! With everyone here busting boxes and sets I was wondering if you all have doubles that are not going in your sets or are being graded but are willing to sell to help with my raw set. I assume a number of you must have doubles that dont meet your criteria for grading and I was hopeing I can make some of you some cash.

Please let me know if there is a possibility of this or if its worth your while to dig these cards out.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Mccardguy - Let me suggest something that might not even run into a big expenses. All PSA 9 and Most PSA 8 common cards exhibit superior qualities. 8's can be acquired for peanuts and 9's for not much more.
    If you wanted to fill out the set with PSA 8 and 9 commons you could get a lot from this gang right here.

If your set on raw, then PM a list, I'd love to help.
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Hi MCCARDGUY. Ditto what Ray said, I just got started on this set myself and already have a number of doubles in PSA 8 and 9 and also raw cards that are doubles of what I have had graded or purchased graded. Send me your list and I'll see what I can do.........I'll have more down the road also when I see how the factory set I just bought pans out....and it shouldn't break the bank..
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys but I have to say;....YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!! lol

Just when I decide I am going to do raw with the keys graded you make me start thinking about doing the whole set again!image

I do know what you are saying about buying the 8's and 9's for cheap and that was one way I was leaning. And maybe I will still lean that way. It makes more sense to buy graded cheap than to buy raw I guess.

Ok. here we go...................................who has some 9's they are looking to get rid of? maybe I can buy a few at a time from someone because as my sig says, I am on a budget. I obviously would not expect anyone to hold any cards for me but from reading this thread it sounds like there is a good amount af grading going on and there is probably a unending supply right now!!

I do very much appreciate your thoughts guys. I do have some cards from my set I will probably grade as well and maybe I can post a few scans to get your views on them if you dont mind.

Thanks
    Andrew
  • Options
    Andrew,
    All the cards in my "Trade Winds" set are available. Check it out on the Registry and just let me know which on'es you think you want to get started. I'll make you a good deal to "entice you to climb on board". image
    Ray

PM or email to aja4rayb@msn.com
  • Options
    Well I cant believe how right you all are about the pricing on these cards. Sunday night I picked up a Rose, Carew, Eckersley and Seaver for 8 bucks. thats 8 BUCKS TOTAL for 4 psa 9's. I am shocked at the pricing for these cards. I guess I am hooked. You all did it to me!!

Ray, Thanks for your kind offer. I will take a look tonight and see what on your list. If you are willing to help a budget minded collector It would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks again for all your help!!! You are the best!
  • Options
    McCard,
    Congrats and welcome to the club! You're starting off on the right foot, but I think your purchases may be more of timing than anything else. There's been a host of graded 84D's being auctioned recently, but before that it was getting pretty dry - it's the ebb and flow thing that is a common occurance on ebay. When there's lots to choose from and opening bids are set real low, inevitably the final price may be low. As an example I recently paid $32 for a psa 10 Rose on the bay, only to see one close a day or so ago for $78, and I think mine is the better example. How does this happen? It just goes with the territory - different day, different people, different outcome.

Additionally, I will usually bid a few $ on these cards even if I have them, for possible upgrading purposes. But since Al, Ray, you and others have joined the fray, I've toned down or eliminated bidding on these, while concentrating on raw material for submission. You can bet though that when certain 'key' cards become available, whether I need them or for critical upgrading in grade purposes, count me in on putting the hammer down. image

Again, welcome aboard............I've got about 30 or 40 psa 9's and about the same number in 8's if you're interested. I'll send you a PM soon.

Bill
  • Options
    Speaking of bargains, I bid and won 35 cards last night for the fine price of $61.92, and that included the shipping and three team sets. None of the cards were the major stars but at less than $2 a card you can't go wrong and they were all PSA 9's. It's really like Bill said TIMING......maybe the holiday weekend had something to do with it but I am happy as can be. Keep plugging away and you'll find the deals also.......image
  • Options
    Great job on those eBay bargains guys!

Andrew, I sent you a PM.

My latest 20 or so cards were received at PSA today. Let the countdown begin. If history on this special is any guide, I may have grades by the end of the week.
    Ray
  • Options
    GO RAY GO....I sent in another submission myself today. Almost all 84 Donruss. I have to start watchin now, I'm starting to duplicate things...it's easy to start losing track!!
  • Options
    Need one of the veterans to provide assistance.....can you have cards entered in the basic set and also the master set with the same numbers or do they have to be different cards???? Just wondering, trying to decide if I want to pursue the master set instead of the basic, or maybe even both.....thanks for assisting.

Also Bill, package arrived today and THANKS!!!! You are A-1 in my book...drop me a line about the three PSA 10's I'm waiting on if you need any of them....grab them before I go MASTER!!!!! al.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>can you have cards entered in the basic set and also the master set with the same numbers or do they have to be different cards???? >>

They can be the same card #'s. As an example a Mickey Mantle
    '61 can be used for the '61 set, the '61 Yankees set, the 500 HR set, the Hall Of Fame set, and the Mantle basic & master set as well. So there is flexibilty w/ your cards in the registry...jay
  • Options
    bill, thanks i got my package today.

i have the following cards available: checklists #1,2,5 all psa 8.
    psa 9's : #55 carter, 53 brett, 54 henderson, 47 murray, 26 boggs dk, 14 horner dk, 9 oliver dk.

i also have raw available from factory sets busted and collated sets- i dont think there are any 9's or 10's but there just might be some 9's depending on the day.

i am looking for psa 10's for my set, i just crossed 70% finally.

who has the psa 10 darling and perry/fingers A ???

Bob
  • Options
    Robert,
    Nice to see you at 70% all psa 10. Absolutely fricken unbelievable is my first, second, and third thoughts.

Al,
    I see you're moving up the charts! Congrats and thank you!

FYI for the gang,

While I'm still going after raw/factory sets (just BIN'd a raw set tonight), I went against my word today about laying off those cheap .99 cent commons. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself with the possibilities of upgrading any 9's or even 10's (yes, I will pull 10's out if I have a kickbutt 9 to put in it's place). I think Al and McCard may have already bought these (possibly duplicates of recent previous auctions ??), but I just couldn't resist.

I don't want to bid up cards you guys may need, so let me know what you will be bidding on, as I will set snipes on the others at a little higher limit. The one card I really want of all the ones I placed bids on is the #33 Salazar. ('Billnnancy' is my ebay ID.)

Please forgive my feebleness with 84D's image

Bill
  • Options
    Robert - Just amazing! I would guess that it would be tough to assemble 50% of this set in PSA 10 based on the population, other 84' set collectors tying up the cards and the onslaught of the team collectors who might bid high for available 10's from the set. The centering issues alone certainly seem to make that second 50% a daunting task indeed. From that perspective you are now 20% past the threshold. Congratulations!
    The other neat thing is that so many of this threads contributors hold the few examples of the really tough cards in the set; as it should be. Great job landing the Iorg and the Brooks in PSA 10 (1 of 1's, for now).

Bill - No apologies necessary. Your the big dog! We're all just tails. image

Al - Just loving your aggressive moves up the rankings. Keep it going!

Where's Waldo?.....eh, I mean Arny?
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Ray thanks for the compliment about the agressive move up the standings....however you and Bill got me started on this and it's like an addiction!!! The more I get the more I want!!! Anyways you all stand by, I haven't even gotten my submission from PSA back yet and there are a bunch more I'll be adding, including some that I recently purchased at the .99 special Bill was talking about...I couldn't resist either......I"ll probably be cooling it now with Christmas coming...need to get the kids their "toys" before I can get back to mine.....

I also agree, The Arny Ray mentions was heavy on this forum until recently.......I'd like to get to know him also, seems like a nice guy....
  • Options
    Geez...two days now and my grades haven't even been posted yet.
    84' Delirium tremors.....
    RayBShotz image
  • Options
    I noticed a new player aboard the S.S. 84 Donruss this morning. Welcome to Tim McCoy if you read these Message Boards; I see you've picked up your first two PSA 10's.
    Check in here and we'll all try and keep you motivated on the long journey image
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    BGS 9.5 Mattingly Rookie Hammer!

Wow !!!!

RayBShotz
  • Options
    I agree.....Unbelievable.......I just sent in a Mattingly to PSA from the factory set I bought....lets see how that pans out.....Is it snowing out there??? Here on the North Coast I think Winter has started!!!image
  • Options
    thanks ray,bill

i guess i'll just put those psa 9's on ebay

bgs9.5 mattingly ...nice , i think they were going higher long ago when the pop was lower.
    Bob
  • Options
    Hi guys, received my PSA submission back today......here's scan of two of the cards. Bill, send me a message, Take the Little card from now before I get tempted to keep it!!!! We can work something out.......Once I get the submission organized I'll let the forum members know what I have available....imageimage
  • Options
    The Little looks extremely nice Al. Seems they were kind to you on the Bumbry based on centering but who's to scoff at a really tough 9. Congrats!
    Ray
  • Options
    Feeling pretty pleased about the last of my results.

PSA Order Status for Submission # 583830

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 31350971 1984 DONRUSS 4 JOHN CASTINO DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 10
    2 31350972 1984 DONRUSS 7 JACK CLARK DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    3 31350973 1984 DONRUSS 8 DAVE DRAVECKY DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    4 31350974 1984 DONRUSS 9 AL OLIVER DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    5 31350975 1984 DONRUSS 12 RAY KNIGHT DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 9
    6 31350976 1984 DONRUSS 24 PEDRO GUERRERO DIAMOND KINGS-STEEL 10
    7 31350977 1984 DONRUSS 35 DICK SCHOFIELD N/A 9
    8 31350978 1984 DONRUSS 52 FERNANDO VALENZUELA N/A 9
    9 31350979 1984 DONRUSS 58 HAROLD BAINES N/A 9
    10 31350980 1984 DONRUSS 82 JOE LEFEBVRE N/A 9
    11 31350981 1984 DONRUSS 120 JOHN CASTINO N/A 9
    12 31350982 1984 DONRUSS 133 RON JACKSON N/A 9
    13 31350983 1984 DONRUSS 186 TONY PENA N/A 10
    14 31350984 1984 DONRUSS 211 MARK BROUHARD N/A 10
    15 31350985 1984 DONRUSS 227 LOU WHITAKER N/A 9
    16 31350986 1984 DONRUSS 235 ROD SCURRY N/A 10
    17 31350987 1984 DONRUSS 259 MARTY BYSTROM N/A 9
    18 31350988 1984 DONRUSS 327 JEFF LAHTI N/A 9
    19 31350989 1984 DONRUSS 338 RICK SUTCLIFFE N/A 9
    20 31350990 1984 DONRUSS 559 BARRY BONNELL N/A 10
    21 31350991 1984 DONRUSS 573 GARY LAVELLE N/A 10
    22 31350992 1986 DONRUSS 67 RYNE SANDBERG N/A 10
    23 31350993 1986 DONRUSS 68 GARY CARTER N/A 10
    24 31350994 1986 DONRUSS 172 ROGER CLEMENS N/A 9
    25 31350995 1986 DONRUSS 319 RAFAEL SANTANA N/A 10

Date Received: 11/28/2005
    Date of Grades Posted: 12/02/2005
    Date Shipped: 12/02/2005

• Options
    Great job Ray, nice cards, I hope to someday have the eye that you and Bill do for the cards and getting back 9's and 10's from PSA.....I can't complain though on my last submission, at least they got all the DK labels correct......

al.
  • Options
    Well since you guys all hooked me on this set and I had 5 extra bucks in my paypal account I thought I would buy these! (lets hope the scans load up!)

I love the way they look in the holders. I can see I am going to need another job just to afford this set. Not thats the set is all that expensive but there are alot of them. Oh well....its something to do.
  • Options
    Way to go McCardguy.....join the fun.....they got me hooked too!!!! At least you can still find bargains on these, not like some of the other sets I've started.......by the way, like the ECK.......My first experience trying to have one graded by PSA for him was a PSA 2...guess I didn't look well enough.....but I now also have a PSA 9 and I love the picture on the card....plus he used to play here in Cleveland so I had to have the card!!
  • Options
    WOW!..................3 out of 4 catagories were given a 10 - only centering is below at 9.5

My question is, what would 8.5 centering look like??????

Joe Carter 10
  • Options
    good one bill
    Bob
  • Options
    Bill, what grading company slabbed that Carter card??? I never heard of them. I'll check later, I'm on my way to see the Browns play the Jaguars today....we got about four inches of snow last night, it ought to be a trip watching how Jacksonville reacts to the cold up here......and we are supposed to get more during the game......