Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Nope...........not that I'm familiar with either. That is a hammer price but with 14 10's out of 170 graded doesn't indicate a tough card at all. Possibility is a low feedback (read newbie) starting strong out the gate. I'd flip a Henderson 10 in a heartbeat for that kind of money.
  • Options
    Now...........how 'bout some fun.

A tale of 2 Roses'. Which is the 'better' one? Guess the grades - both are higher than
    8's.......

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    bill-i'm gonna guess you like the first one better but it came back 9 while the 2nd came back 10. terrific centering on both , they seem like 10's. assuming corners are fine.
    Bob
  • Options
    I like the one on the right better. Left 9 (but I bet it's graded a 10)
    Right one is a 10 (probably graded 9)
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    If you said that they were both 10s, I wouldn't be surprised....and, if I had either one in my collection I would be happy.

With that being said, I'm going with the left as a 10 and right as a 9.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    What Arny said.
    Ray
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    The one on the left is a 9, the other one a 10 to 'replace' it. As you guys have mentioned, no shame for either one being a 10. The right one exibits bolder color but IMO the left one has slightly better centering. Of course this is splitting hairs as you have to really stare at these awhile to see any centering differences.

I guess my point here too is the 'power' of a 9. There are a ton of 9's out there just like the 'left' rose that can be had for a few $. If every card in my set was this caliber regardless if 9 or 10, I'd be a very, very happy camper..........................
  • Options
    bill i have found myself wondering what to do sometimes. i know i have a few 10's that i would prefer to update someday. i never get the bump up to 10 when i submit them, but some submitters seem to get it. i have not bid on some 10's if the centering was obviously not as good as it should be.
    Bob
  • Options
    Bill,
    As I carefully scan all the cards for inclusion into my Registered set and go through the process of uploading the cards I have noticed some extraordinary 9's. On the flip side a few of the 10's I have are a hair off center.
    I would say that, in general, 10's are better centered than 9's as a rule.

Arny - Where are we with our reweighting project?

Ray
  • Options
    arny,

are you ok? Looks like Wilma slammed right where you live.
  • Options
    My thoughts out to you Arny.

I have finally been able to enter my Rose card in my set. Safe and sound.
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Hope Arny is ok as we havent' heard from him for several days..............hmmmmmmmmmm

Ray,
    Got my Gossage 10 and can't register it - wonder if its in Gary's, as he lists a psa 10. Oh well, off to Cosetta go more scans.

• Options
    Bet on it.
    Ray
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, wanted to see how this would work. Since you all are dedicated 84 Donruss collectors you will share in my pain!!

• Options
    Tough break on the Eck, Alva. Looks ok from the scan. I'm sure you can find the crease somewhere.

Waiting on the November Special to see if we get what we need to submit 84'D raws for grading. Looking forward to taking my first crack at it.

Where is Arny? Hope you're high and dry buddy!
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    this is surely the longest time in between posts for arny.
    Bob
  • Options
    Hi everyone, haven't heard from Bill for awhile either. You all have gotten me hooked on this set. I bought 8 cards tonight to go along with the ten I had that didn't sell on ebay.....guess you will soon see an Al and Sandy's Set listed on the registry.

al.
  • Options
    Two days without Bill, he must be on a "Donruss" break!! Bill, any luck with the cards I sent you yet???? hope for the best.
  • Options
    al - Welcome aboard!
    Ray
  • Options
    Hey guys,

My stupid internet connection was down for quite a while, so no posting the last couple days.

It's getting close to the registry set deadline and I have no shot in hitting 100% in the basic or master this round. The 84D factory set arrived today from Steve Hart. The condition of the box and cello blocks inside was super, but it's the same old story - absolutely crappy centering/diamond cuts/color quality for about 95% of the set. I did manage a few beauties, but many of the 35 or so that would 9/10 are common, everyday 40 pop cards. However, I was rewarded with some VERY nice Steele DK's (Al, I'll pm you later with what I have and the group you sent me), a 210 Bumbry, nicest centered Ripken raw I've pulled to date, a #30 Darling beauty (#29 Stenhouse iffy at best on centering), a 'smudgeless' 122 Concepcion (a first for me), and a nice 440 Ramos.

I've now busted 7 or 8 factory sets so far and the above is about average. The DK's were much better than average but the colors as a whole where worse. And again for the umpteenth time, #637 Moreno had spider-like creases in the upper LH quadrant of the card. If I had to pick one card of all 660 that is the baddest of the bad to find mint, it would be this mofo. Even crazier still, it falls in a group of cards that's generally easy to find mint - from about #600 up. It must be something in the production process that causes this particular card to get trashed. I've not found any cards around it that succumb to the same fate.

Other things - Arny must still be alive and kicking, as he shows some recent ebay activity. AL - Welcome to the club buddy! Get your set registered; I'm sure some of us 84D guys can help you out. That psa 2 Eck is a 1/1; so it's not that bad!
  • Options
    what a sweet ripken 10+
    Bob
  • Options
    Wow Bill. That Ripken really does look good. It's a great card with a great Cal photo. Best of luck with the grade.
    At some point in the near future I'll have to go through that high end raw set to stage for PSA. Using this thread I should be able to piece together a short list of the really tough cards and compare the cards in my raw set to see if I've got any keepers. Stay tuned.
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    You guys are really starting to get me hooked on this setimage I remember this was the second to last year of actually collecting. I remember buying 2 wax boxes and ripping through them on the couch watching the 83/84 oilers win the cup on USA network! Gretzky was the man ,I was 14 and summer was just starting and I had 2 boxes of Donruss to sort! The memories .........
    I do hope Arny is ok ?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I talked with a friend last night that isn't too far from Arny....he was still without electricity..but said the power crews were out working. No hot water...cooking on the grill outside..he said atleast the weather since then has been great..hopefully Arny is in better conditions...
  • Options
    I'm officially hooked. Just got done listing my set under Al and Sandy's Sets. Long way to go but I'm sure I'll enjoy the journey. One quick question for those more 84 Donruss smart. Should I send the card I pictured back to PSA and have it reslabbed??? It is the STEELE version and is mislabeled....

• Options
    that's an endless question...it seems that a good percentage of the DK cards are mis-labled. I think if yoiu are the original submitter..then they should reslab it free of charge....I mean I know it takes ALOT of effort for a grader to actually flip the card over and see the difference....but honestly, isn't that what we are paying for?? Funniest thing is..2-3 people look at them and they ALL miss them....what's up with that??
  • Options
    Al,
    glad you've joined the 84D train! Save up those mis-labels and send them in group lots. I've done this 2 or 3 times so far. PSA will (at least they have so far) paid for shipping both ways - via vouchers - with no reslab cost to you for corrrection. To get the particulars, email BJ or Cosetta. You'll need a separate sub form. I usually piggyback these with other submissions. And be sure when sending DKs for graded to STRONGLY SPELL OUT ON THE SUBMISSION FORM TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE STEEL OR STEELE DESIGNATIONS! The pop report is off by a fairly large percentage because this. PSA misses it, big submitting dealers miss it (or just don't care).

Jackstraw,
    You of seasoned 70's vintage should board the 84D train! Remember, these beauties REALLY stand out in a black-insert holder, so it doesn't matter WHAT 84D train you ride on - all you need to do is CLIMB aboard! image

On a happy note, I received an email from Arny V. today. Yep, he got hit with hurricane Wilma and is still without power, phone, etc. He experienced some property damage, but nothing major. He's using a friends computer to communicate at this time. When back on his feet I'm sure he'll post but for now the boards will have to wait. Hopefully all goes well - miss him on the boards.

One last thought that I've been mulling over for some time now.........

I think a lot of 80's material gets knocked because it was produced in huge volumes, not rare, considered 'shiny stuff', bla-bla-bla. But I wonder about this: If you didn't know the year of any baseball card and put one of each year on a table and looked at the design, colors, photos, etc. where would 84D rank? More to the point, how would a non-card person view the attributes of each years card design and quality?
    The reason I bring this up is my feeling that because 84D was produced in the 1980's , the mindset is 'oh that's too modern' or 'common' or similar without really looking at all-around quality - let alone this quality (except centering) thoughout the set. If 1984D were somehow 'produced' as a topps issue in the 50's, 60's, or 70's, how would it be viewed? Would it be popular like 1953, '55, '57, '67, '71, '75 topps issues?
    No right or wrong answer here......just looking for some insight. The same could be said for 90's and '00's issues too but I'm looking for 80's compared to 50's -70's in card design, etc. If you didn't know the year, would 84D be at the top of your fav list?

• Options
    Hey guys,

Posting from my parent's home computer. I'm still without power (just got phones a day ago) and can't get online. Thanks for the well wishes. Some damage to our area with the usual hurricane stuff (fences down, trees down, etc), but overall not too bad. Nothing that can't be repaired.

I'll get to my usual posting rates soon enough! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,
    Welcome Back!

Al - Glad to hear you decided to join us. At any grade level this can be a lot of fun. Most of the 9's your Boggs DK included are quite nice. I've scanned all the cards I've entered into my set so far so everyone can see how nice 9's can be. Hopefully this will encourage others to climb aboard.
    As for the mislabeling, 5stat is right, it's rampant from what I can see. More than half of all the DK's I have are mislabeled. Most of the mislabels say Steel on the flip but are really Steele on the card.

I have one more batch of graded cards to upload on the Registry which should leave me at about 30%.

There is a lot of fun in this set and that's why I'm here. It's a great feeling to be able to add cards for between $2-$10 apiece. As an aside to most of the previous PSA set building I've done in the vintage arena, where the sky's the limit on vintage commons, this certainly is a breath of fresh air.

The photography is crisp and clean and to respond to Bill's previous statement; the set certainly would attract me and compares very favorably to all of the 70's issues and some of the earlier ones as well.

RayBShotz
  • Options
    Ray,
    I sure enjoy those scans. Right now I'm hodge-podging scans of various examples, but at some point will start at the beginning until all are entered. Scans just really make viewing the registy more fun!!!
    Bill
  • Options
    Well, I just got the news that I won a Carter RC. Don't know how I did but only paid $10 for it and it's a straight PSA 9. Any opinions from anyone on the merits??? Since I'm new on this set did I do alright? I know in the past I almost always saw this card OC so thought I did ok.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree, of all the 80's cards the 84 Donruss is at the top of my list.

It contains the Mattingly Rookie card, which at the time was a very sought after card. It also contains a few variations to make things interesting and the paper quality is superb too. The photos and card style are also top notch. back in the day i remm making sets. It was not until around 87 If my memory is correct that the set really took off. A great set to build graded. Good Luck to all those doing it. I have too been doing an 80's set (gem raw) 84 Topps and I have been going thru thousands of cards looking for the best example that I have, It is like Ray said a refreshing break.

regards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Al - Nice catch on that Carter. If you hadn't been the high bidder I would have sniped it. It looked pretty good. $9.99 don't sound too bad either for that desirable Rookie card from this set.
    Keep on pluggin!
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Thanks Ray, I can hear the wife already complaining. ANother set started, oh my.....oh well at least it keeps me home at night!!! I got my eyes on a Ripken now, will have to wait and see how the bidding goes. I was really surprised on the number of PSA 10's available. Must be a number of folks speculating I guess...but I'm going to stick with 9's and leave the big ones for Bill........

Hope everyone has had a great weekend, my ended on a downer, the Browns lost again.....oh well baseball season will be here soon enough and we still have the CAVS....I'm looking for a new picture to for my listings...I picked the 1952 since that twas the year I was born but want to get something else....how do you add you own pictures like I noticed some of the member have??
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree, of all the 80's cards the 84 Donruss is at the top of my list.

It contains the Mattingly Rookie card, which at the time was a very sought after card. It also contains a few variations to make things interesting and the paper quality is superb too. The photos and card style are also top notch. back in the day i remm making sets. It was not until around 87 If my memory is correct that the set really took off. A great set to build graded. Good Luck to all those doing it. I have too been doing an 80's set (gem raw) 84 Topps and I have been going thru thousands of cards looking for the best example that I have, It is like Ray said a refreshing break.

regards.

Steve >>

Steve, not to mention you can lavish yourself with unopened 84's galore without going broke!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Guys - Thought I would hustle up 20 cards to send off out of my raw set to send to PSA on the November Special before I hit the road this morning.

Bill - I checked my 5 cards that you find the toughest and my Youngblood and Law are OC, my Fitzgerald was really nice but had a minute chip along the lower edge. My Bumbry and Ashby look 9 quality to me but likely would not 10 because of centering.

I'm going to try and scan here:

Hope this works.

RayBShotz
  • Options
    First attempt failed. I guess I'll try again tonight. I keep getting the darned X box.
    Ray
  • Options
    Try it this way:

Bumbry & Ashby

Ray

Yay! At least the link works. I don't know how long it gets hosted for free but I hope you can see these guys. If anyone knows how to turn this into an image here; feel free.
  • Options

Ray......the bumbry may 9 but it'll be a crap shoot..... the Ashby will more than likely 8 on centering.

Gotta love those $5 specials!!!!!

Bill
  • Options
    Hey Bill,
    At $5 they're included! Since they are tough cards anyway I figure they would be worth a shot. The 18 card balance is very strong and includes a Seaver and a Fisk. Stay Tuned.
    Thanks for converting my link.
    Ray
  • Options
    Sent 20 card submission off this morning.

I am going through the rest of my high end raw set for more quality examples to submit. There seem to be quite a few. Because this was a hand collated set, there are examples of both the wide border and the thin border cards obviously from different sources. When you hit a nice wide bordered card it is really something special.
    Some of these will be cards I already have and I am looking forward to the possibility of trading some of these dupes with this group. For those other newbies to the set who don't have trade fodder, I may also have some dupes to sell reasonably as well.

I really look forward to working with this group as we mutually try to complete this great set.
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    I think with this months $5 special and the interest generated by this thread that we may see a bump in the 84'D populations soon.
    Any thoughts?
    RayBShotz

• Options
    Ray,
    I'll be sending some in at months end. I've got some real doozies and some that are just ok. Hope you do well if you submit. Don't know if Arny or rvc will be submitting. When ebay hits a 'dead spot' in 84D as it seems to be right now, it's not too long before someone fills the void with quantities of our favorite 80's slabbed product!

Al, Dan, Jackstraw - you guys in on the subs this month? Remember, have no fear when boarding the 84D train!
  • Options
    Bill, I went thru the factory set that I pulled the DK's from that I sent you....I found several other cards that I will submit. Will be sending later in the month. Just got nine cards in the mail today, including the PSA 9 Carter and a PSA 9 GWYNN. I'm slowly building the set, something to keep me going a few years!!!
  • Options
    Al,
    Congrats.Do you plan on showing scans in your set?
    Scans serve as a good point of reference. Even if you have a 9 in your set; it can show the ever so slight centering tendencies that are dismal in lesser examples. Very helpful when you combine scans with POP Report info for analysis.
    I've sent a lot of stuff for grading over the years but never stuff in the 9/10 range raw. I am pretty jacked up about the prospect of getting submissions back for this set.
    I should know exactly how well I've done well before Thanksgiving on mine.
    Stay tuned.
    Ray
  • Options
    I'm planning on sending some in. We'll see what I can/will send in. I've got that Bumbry for sure and I'll be going through a box of wax that I ripped about a half year ago to see if there's anything else worth sending in from there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,
    Is our reweighting project still alive?
    Ray
  • Options
    I hope to have some successes with the cards I submit and will be sure to show scans. It seems this is part of the fun with this thread. I also have an inquiry out on three sets from a friend of mine. He's going back and forth on whether he wants to sell or not. These were factory sets he busted and put the stars all together from the different years, you know all the fisks together, all the ryans, all the ripkens., I am trying to get him to pull back the 84 Donruss stars from his collection to go with the commons....we shall see, I'm being relentless!! Here are the two star cards I got in the mail
  • Options
    Wow Al. The Carter looks really great! That Gwynn's not bad either.
    It's too bad that the Gwynn card is one of those cards from the set that always comes with the "bad sunburn". If the set has one flaw; and its the only one I've found, it's those "sunburn cards". Strawberry is aflicted, as well, from this set as are quite a few of the commons.
    That won't curb my enthusiasm though image
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I will be sending in some 76's and few 78's but I do not have any 84 Donruss. I might just have to find a box and rip it? Maybe for Christmas.
    You 72,78 and 84 Donruss guys a killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658