Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Well, I've taken the plunge & started this set......I have a handful of graded cards but I'm going to build it raw. I seem to be getting away from graded sets as the cost of the slabbed commons is just too great. You can build many nice looking raw sets for the price of 1 that's graded. Regardless, I know it will be fun.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bugontherug- Sorry, no Joel Youngblood worth submitting. I have two or three but all badly off center.
    Thats a great set you have.

alnavman- all my DK's are Steel. I have probably six or seven I'll submit. Thanks for the advice.

Arny- That was a nice article in SMR. I'm assuming you're the Arnold from the story. I agree with you, "I really fell in love with the simple design and the great quality of the photography." The design just works, unlike many of Donruss's card designs, especially the late 80's efforts. The 84D design is a classic, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Darin,
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Dave,
    PM sent.
    Ray
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    So Ray, what's the next conquest for you?

Darin, yes I'm the Arnold from the article. You also had Ray and Bill quoted in there if I remember correctly.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    So, I guess you're going for the Guidry 10, Bill.

If you win that one, would you make me a deal for your 9?

RVC, might want to hit up those 10s...Butcher 10, Scott 10 and the Concepcion 10.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    concepion is gone at 69.95, buy it now, dont know the buyer.
    scott looks a little thin on the right side or is it me?
    i bid on the butcher.
    Bob
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    The Concepcion is thin on the right side, which is prett typical, although it doesn't have a smudge mark (or something like that) at the right-center of the top border, which also is typical. Any other day that card is a 9 imo.
  • Options
    Arny, I'm not going bid the farm of the Guidry but there is a buyer out there who usually nails every nine available. I finally got my 9 via submission. If you want, to for it but I'll bet it brings some pretty good coin.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Bill, Ray, Arny, anyone out there...thought I'd get this thread back to the top....but do have a question for all of the senior 84D collectors out there....is it worthwhile to buy a Jewelers Loupe? Also should I get one with a light? I noticed some advertising 10X what I believe is magnification......do any of you use one before submitting your cards? please advise...thanks al.
  • Options
    Al, I bought one of those 10x magnifying glass from a dollar store awhile back. It shows you enough detail if used with proper sunlight. But, I couldn't give you much feedback specifically into a loupe.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Al,
    I have both a 10X lighted loupe and a 20X-40X microscope that I use for submissions, but the 10X lighted loupe by itself should be fine. I think the hardest part of grading cards like 84D where the factory sets are shrink wrapped is determining if a 'pressed' corner on the card (typically upper LH side) is worthy of grading. I've seen some awfully pressed corners due to the cellophane, yet they'll 9. Any fraying or corner surface wear on a card from constantly in and out of sleeves, etc. will normally place it in 8 land.

I got mine from someone on these boards a few years ago. They aren't too expensive, but would suggest you get the lighted version.

Moving to another topic, I just purchased a 1987 Donruss wax case. I plan on doing 85, 86, and 87 Donruss raw sets, with emphasis on only the best of the best included in it. 1984 will probably be my first and last large set, but I want a run of mid-80's donruss sets. As much as I like Topps cards, Donruss in these years offered some very good card designs, with 84 being the best by far. image
  • Options
    Al,
    On the loupe question; never use one.

I always eyeball the centering; I have a real good feel with experience looking for 55/45 or better especially on these 84' Donruss. As far as the corners and looking for other flaws; after I put aside all the "centered" cards I go through a secondary process of checking each card for flaws.
    I hold each card individually real close to my face in a good light (overhead countertop high hats are great for this). There I can separate the rest of the great cards from the good ones.
    Remember to tilt the card back and forth in the light to make sure you don't miss any surface flaws.
    Ray
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the info. Don't know if I will get a loupe or not but now at least I'm better informed......I've seen them for about $10 which I guess isn't too bad.....think I'll wait since I won't be sending any cards in for awhile......although that unopened box of 84 D keeps calling my name very night......I think I need to hide is so I don't see it everydayimage
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    ALLLLLLLLLLLL ohhh ALLLLLLLL Buy me AL.......................

• Options
    Tennessee.....you are oh so BAAAAAAD!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    I should buy that box based on the factory set I just opened, which was probably the worst factory I've opened to date; o/c after o/c, diamond cut after diamond cut, block after block. The Mattingly may 9 but it'll depend on the diamond cut. All in all, one beautifully preserved factory set and box with one awfully produced product inside..... image

Looks like BJ and crew got the new weights listed. Not sure how it affected overall GPA's for everybody, but seems like a fair blending of weights. I wonder if the prices paid for the heavyweight PSA 10's will come down any due to the lowering of most, if not all, with the exception of Mattingly. I'm even less thrilled about paying $300+ for a Joe Carter 10 that has a whopping weight of 3, down from 6.5 if I remember correctly.

I know it's not part of the game but it still chaps my arse that some of the most difficult commons will always be the mighty '1' weight.... image

Anyway, enough of that. Here's some eye candy that just got added to my set:

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    nice straw bill
    Bob
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I have an extra #352 Carew in psa10... PM if interested
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Hi Guys, This is one incredible thread. I have been having great fun working on the two beautiful 1984 and 1985 Donruss sets. They really bring back the memories of some high quality baseball. I am collecting all of the Hall of Famers along with some favorite players from these years. I decided to focus on PSA 9s for almost all of the cards. I have received a bunch of help from veterans of these sets. Many have posted to this very thread. Here is an updated wantlist for both sets. I would be looking to buy only PSA 9s except for a few cards that I have noted. If anyone has any for sale - let me know. You can pm me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks for looking, Neil

1984 Donruss
    Qty. No. Player
    1 23 MIKE SCHMIDT - DK
    2 32 TONY FERNANDEZ - RR
    3 41 JOE CARTER
    4 47 EDDIE MURRAY
    5 48 ROBIN YOUNT
    6 51 DAVE WINFIELD
    7 53 GEORGE BRETT
    8 54 RICKEY HENDERSON
    9 57 REGGIE JACKSON
    10 59 OZZIE SMITH
    11 61 PETE ROSE
    12 68 DARRYL STRAWBERRY
    13 107 PAUL MOLITOR
    14 111 STEVE CARLTON
    15 116 TOM SEAVER
    16 248 DON MATTINGLY - PSA 8
    17 302 CARLTON FISK
    18 324 TONY GWYNN
    19 352 ROD CAREW
    20 355 JOE MORGAN
    21 414 DON SUTTON
    22 576 JIM PALMER
    23 648 DUKE SNIDER PUZZLE
    24 651 THE CHICKEN
    25 A LIVING LEGENDS
    26 B LIVING LEGENDS

1985 Donruss
    Qty. No. Player
    1 7 DON MATTINGLY - DK
    2 48 ROBIN YOUNT
    3 55 GARY CARTER
    4 57 REGGIE JACKSON
    5 59 OZZIE SMITH
    6 63 TONY GWYNN
    7 67 RYNE SANDBERG
    8 85 ROD CAREW
    9 107 DON SUTTON
    10 169 CAL RIPKEN
    11 176 RICKEY HENDERSON
    12 190 DWIGHT GOODEN
    13 208 CARLTON FISK
    14 254 PETE ROSE - EXPOS
    15 273 ROGER CLEMENS - PSA 8
    16 295 DON MATTINGLY
    17 424 TOM SEAVER
    18 438 KIRBY PUCKETT
    19 635 LOU GEHRIG - PUZZLE
    20 651 TWO FOR THE TITLE
  • Options
    Hi Guys, This is one incredible thread. I have been having great fun working on the two beautiful 1984 and 1985 Donruss sets. They really bring back the memories of some high quality baseball. I am collecting all of the Hall of Famers along with some favorite players from these years. I decided to focus on PSA 9s for almost all of the cards. I have received a bunch of help from veterans of these sets. Many have posted to this very thread. Here is an updated wantlist for both sets. I would be looking to buy only PSA 9s except for a few cards that I have noted. If anyone has any for sale - let me know. You can pm me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks for looking, Neil

1984 Donruss
    Qty. No. Player
    1 23 MIKE SCHMIDT - DK
    2 32 TONY FERNANDEZ - RR
    3 41 JOE CARTER
    4 47 EDDIE MURRAY
    5 48 ROBIN YOUNT
    6 51 DAVE WINFIELD
    7 53 GEORGE BRETT
    8 54 RICKEY HENDERSON
    9 57 REGGIE JACKSON
    10 59 OZZIE SMITH
    11 61 PETE ROSE
    12 68 DARRYL STRAWBERRY
    13 107 PAUL MOLITOR
    14 111 STEVE CARLTON
    15 116 TOM SEAVER
    16 248 DON MATTINGLY - PSA 8
    17 302 CARLTON FISK
    18 324 TONY GWYNN
    19 352 ROD CAREW
    20 355 JOE MORGAN
    21 414 DON SUTTON
    22 576 JIM PALMER
    23 648 DUKE SNIDER PUZZLE
    24 651 THE CHICKEN
    25 A LIVING LEGENDS
    26 B LIVING LEGENDS

1985 Donruss
    Qty. No. Player
    1 7 DON MATTINGLY - DK
    2 48 ROBIN YOUNT
    3 55 GARY CARTER
    4 57 REGGIE JACKSON
    5 59 OZZIE SMITH
    6 63 TONY GWYNN
    7 67 RYNE SANDBERG
    8 85 ROD CAREW
    9 107 DON SUTTON
    10 169 CAL RIPKEN
    11 176 RICKEY HENDERSON
    12 190 DWIGHT GOODEN
    13 208 CARLTON FISK
    14 254 PETE ROSE - EXPOS
    15 273 ROGER CLEMENS - PSA 8
    16 295 DON MATTINGLY
    17 424 TOM SEAVER
    18 438 KIRBY PUCKETT
    19 635 LOU GEHRIG - PUZZLE
    20 651 TWO FOR THE TITLE
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post. I thought that I messed it up on the first try. Neil
  • Options
    Don't worry about the double post Neil...it's like that doublemint commercial....you've doubled our pleasure....or at least for the 84D collectors!!!! Here's my latest pick up.....anyone know why some of the players on the cards look like they have a bad case of sunburn in the photo's???
  • Options
    Ok guys, I am all in to use a scarcely repeated phrase. I have received Ray's set and am adding it to mine now. Of course, his 400 cards plus my 2 will aid my rise. I look forward to buying, selling and trading with you to complete this awesome set.

Ray is a truly wonderful person to deal with and I hope he restarts this set in the near future.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Sounds great! Glad to have you on board. I'm always open to trading 1 for 1 on those that I need and those that you need. I've got a few in my eBay store (seems like less everyday since the SMR article), so let me know if you need any of those.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Brent,
    I see you're moving up quite nicely on the registry. Congrats on the purchase and the addition of 'quite a few' image cards. When I first noticed and was deciding if I wanted to do the 84D set a few years ago, there was only a few players. Now take a look - it keeps on growing, and with good reason. If you want the nicest set of the 80's period (no offense to all the others) you've found your home!
  • Options
    Brent,
    Best of luck to you. This gang will treat you well. My brief run at this amazing set will always be a lasting memory I'll cherish. Grading and getting all those 10's was a real highlight for sure! Carry the torch proudly Brent!
    Don't worry, the rest of you guys; I'll be around to continue to fuss over this set some more from time to time.
    Who knows...maybe I'll even....... image
    RayBShotz
  • Options
    Ray, we hope that you.....image

You know something, I was just thinking....what if Donruss had come out with a Donruss Update or Donruss Traded set at the end of '84. Imagine a Roger Clemens or Puckett rookie with the '84 Donruss style in a shorter print run! Holy mackerol! Even the Gooden and Saberhagen cards would be decently popular and of course, that Rose in the Expos uniform in the '84 Donruss style would've been sweet! What if....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just got my latest submission back - are you ready for some eye candy? Some tough commons and not-so-tough commons sprinkled amongst the biggies. Here goes..................

• Options
    The AP reported heavy flooding tonight in Mobile, AL as news of dry weather had been reported with no precipitation in the forecast. Upon further investigation, it was determined that an excessive amount of drool was the cause of the catastrophe. A National PSA 10 Alert Network has been established to warn of beautiful submission results posted on this forum.

Seriously, beautiful cards and clearly you have a great eye.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Bill,
    Great! A Joe Carter 10! Now that's HUGE!!!
    Thanks for the scans.
    RayB
  • Options
    AWESOME BILL.....you know how to big the cards for submission........did these come from wax or a factory set if you don't might revealing your secret.....
  • Options
    Al,
    These cards came from both factory and wax/rack. It's a mixed bag with either; you'll find some super nice ones in each as well as bad ones.
    I thought for sure the Murphy would 10; I may have to revisit that.

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I am looking for some help. Does anyone out there have a PSA 9 or 10 Tony Perez #503 for sale or a raw version that might grade high?

Thanks
    Kevin

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Bill
    You are a wizard with the scanner! I wish I could make my scans so sharp and clear, oh nice cards also!

John
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me the difficulty in finding Bob Boone and Davey Lopes in high grade. Thanks
  • Options
    Wow Bill....beautiful stuff!

Are you selling the Soto 9, Darwin 9 (since you have the 10 now) and Ashby 9? If so, drop me a PM, please! image

Also, why was that Ozzie an 8?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    By the way, it looks like our set has been finally reweighted.

Although, I didn't agree with a few of the choices made (Dwight Evans 1.50? Alejandro Pena 1.50?), there were some very good choices made. The reasons given were that the ones rated higher than 1.00 were based on Beckett prices on those particular cards. I mentioned several pros and cons and adjustments to be made, but PSA wants verifyable data listed in a price guide somewhere for giving a premium to some cards and not others.

Oh well, we're halfway there. Now, we just have to find some proof that those Steele DKs should be rated a bit higher and that some cards don't deserve the designation of being higher than a 1.00.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I finally received my PSA 10s for these two cards, so I wanted to offer the 9s to my fellow collectors. Anyone need these before I list them in my eBay store?

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    page turn..........
  • Options
    I agree with your reweighting thoughts. Here's some obvious examples that goes against common sense IMO, price guide or no price guide:

- If Andy Van Slyke is 2.5, you would think Joe Carter would be higher than 3.0
    - Gary Carter, Dave Winfield, Joe Morgan at 1.0, with the Duke Snider puzzle card and the 'chicken' card at 1.5? huh?...........I don't think so.
    - Several first-year/rookies at 1.5 but I'm sure this is a price guide vote. Henke, Viola, Gaetti maybe, but that's it.....
    - IMO the DK Steele's are the harder of the 2 variations to find in Mint or higher, the reason being centering and/or diamond-cut issues. Seldom have I found uniform border widths on factory set DK cards. Even the ones that 9 typically have a slight tilt.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the reweighing however. It was better than what we had. A tip-of-the-cap to you again Arny and others for putting forth the effort.

Jackstraw - my scanning abilities are limited. I've gone throught a ton of trial and error, but basically I sharpen the image and then remove the noise. If I just sharpen, it doesn't do the cards justice. Conversely, if I then remove the noise (with the program I'm using), it makes the card seem slightly 'better' than maybe it is, from a color standpoint. Think of it this way: A really pretty woman doesn't need a lot of makeup - just maybe a little! I'm just trying to find the balance!

This bad boy came in the mail a few days ago thanks to John E. from IL. Nice wide bordered card that's a little off L/R but presentable nonetheless. Now, just one more to go for the basic set in all PSA 9/10.

• Options
    WOO HOO! The elusive Joel Youngblood! Nice job Bill!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Got 10s of each of these, so I'm offering the 9s first come, first served for the following three cards....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Great hits Arny.....glad to see this thread rise to the top once again....it was starting to get buried.....wish I could join you all with some recent additions but with tax time, Browns season ticket invoice arriving and my niece's wedding the money has been tight her recently. Maybe when I get my income tax check I can jump back in.........

Great work Bill.....now you can strart on that 87 Donruss set you've been talking about..........and you thought the 84 was tough!! wait until you tackle the 87 with those mean black borders....
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, If anyone has any PSA 9s for sale - let me know. I'm not doing the whole set but I do want to pick up a bunch of cards of players that I liked from the mid 80s. PM me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks, Neil
  • Options
    Neil, I still have the five that are pictured in this thread (Viola, Murphy, Boggs DK, McReynolds & Beard) and they are available. PM me if you have any interest in those.

EDITED: Neil, PM returned.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    eye candy time.................

It was never my intention to keep a Mattingly PSA 10 in the set (sold the first one) but with the recent submittal addition of a Joe Carter PSA 10, it just made sense to put the Mattingly in 10 land. If Carter brings $300-$400 which it most always does, I guess it's not a stretch to pay the coin for the Mattingly 10.

• Options
    So, you're keeping the Mattingly 10? Good for you Bill! That's a beautiful card! And, it went up in the newest SMR image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards