Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Another one for my Tony Perez basic set and a couple more for my 'Rookies of the '70s' set.....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice way to end the mail week!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    nice Miller auto ... I suddenly have the urge to go track one down for my collection.
  • Options

<< <i>nice Miller auto ... I suddenly have the urge to go track one down for my collection. >>

Focus, grasshopper. Focus. image

Nice cards everybody. How many of those Miller autos did they make?

Arthur
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>nice Miller auto ... I suddenly have the urge to go track one down for my collection. >>

Focus, grasshopper. Focus. image

Nice cards everybody. How many of those Miller autos did they make?

Arthur >>

I believe the Marvin Miller auto is 1/10, but it doesn't appear to be serial numbered on the card. I got mine on eBay for a very fair price. The seller was foolish enough to end his auction the week before the HoF vote was announced. If Miller had been elected, the card would have doubled in value, I'm sure. The attention from his failure to be elected would have likely generated more bids, too.

Not that I'm complaining, of course!

Oh, I'm really happy that the card isn't chrome or modern looking, not that I have anything against new cards. This one looks just like a 1970 Topps card, and is a fantastic picture, too. I'm just thrilled with it!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - again great stuff.

Arny - that's a sweet 71T Greg RC!

Big D - congratulations on your first BR card - I used to post the humorous Berk Ross story on the guy who wanted Yogi cards. Is that a great pic on your card or what?!

Halo - a superb BR PSA 8! I have to confess - I own zero cards.

Drew - very nice pick up on the Miller auto - I thought he was in this year!

On the numbering - here's the back of my card:

It's gold lettering - 10/10 - the scratch is on the holder.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Actually tried some of the new uncirculated etopps, I know modern, but oh well..They're awesome display pieces! Sorry just learning flikr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meuandthelot/

also, this, had him sign recently, it was perfect(in many ways)!

Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    Here's another sweet find, while searching my nest, I found about 2-300 52-61's in this condition. I called them pack fresh because they were put in the boxes very soon after opening.

Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - again great stuff.

Arny - that's a sweet 71T Greg RC!

Big D - congratulations on your first BR card - I used to post the humorous Berk Ross story on the guy who wanted Yogi cards. Is that a great pic on your card or what?!

Halo - a superb BR PSA 8! I have to confess - I own zero cards.

Drew - very nice pick up on the Miller auto - I thought he was in this year!

On the numbering - here's the back of my card:

It's gold lettering - 10/10 - the scratch is on the holder.

mike >>

Hmmm...my card doesn't have the serial numbering on the back. It does clearly have the Fan Favorites Certified Auto stamp on the front, though.

Mike, I wonder if your card is a chrome version, or another type of parallel auto. Mine is not chrome at all, and looks and feels just like a 1970 Topps card. Is yours different? It looks like it's more "silvery" than mine.

Here's yours on the left and mine on the right (or top and bottom, depending on your monitor size...):

imageimage

• Options
    ajw, I did not get the Clark signed in person. Sort of an off-the-cuff eBay purchase, I really didn't do any research into what a Will Clark signature looks like. After your post, I scrolled through eBay and looked at several examples, both certified inserts and regular autographs. You are correct, the L is not typical but I did see a few where the bottom of the L runs into the A in Clark. None of them have the L that close in to the C though. I also noticed that the few I saw with the L connecting to the A were more recent specimens and I think one of them was a certified pack insert sticker card.

I'm still happy with it and just think it's one of those things, maybe whoever got it signed got it in person and it was a quick sign. At my job we sign our names a lot, so I can see where there is room for some variety in a signature even when most of the general characteristics are the same. I see variations in my signature depending upon what kind of pen I have, the surface I am signing on, what kind of mood I'm, if I'm tired, but the angle and sharpness of certain key letters generally remain the same. If anything, I am amazed by guys like Mantle, Maris, Reese, and others who have such consistently constant and uniform signatures.

Not really a mail day, picked this up today at the Reading Show:
  • Options
    I do believe Mike's Miller auto has been refractorized!

Either way, both of those Miller autos are fantastic guys. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>I do believe Mike's Miller auto has been refractorized!

Either way, both of those Miller autos are fantastic guys. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur >>

If not refractorized, it's at least been chromed, right? I'm sure Mike's is worth more, but I may actually prefer mine. It kinda seems like Marvin Miller should be pictured on an old-school card. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a chrome version someday, too.

As a matter of fact, I bought an official MLB ball and dropped it in the mail to Mr. Miller the day after the HoF voting was announced. I've been meaning to for a while, but the news so disappointed me that I finally got around to doing so. I really hope he signs and returns it, as that would probably leap ahead of the card to become the centerpiece of my collection.

Actually, I'd *love* to have single signed balls by Curt Flood, Andy Messersmith, Danny Gardella, Marvin Miller and maybe a few others that played prominent roles in the history of the MLBPA. I should have thought of that ten years ago and tried to get them on the same ball. Alas, that's not gonna happen, now.
  • Options
    a few of the recent additions, glad to be back.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Churchman!

That Plank is superb!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another one for my Tony Perez basic set and a couple more for my 'Rookies of the '70s' set... >>

Tony Perez has a lot of cool cards, but that one is one of the very best. (I really need to scan my 7 and add it to my set's pics... image)

And I love that Singy rookie. I always like that down-the-bat pose (happily, so did Topps' photographers over the years), and he was a big favorite of mine (along with Chris Chambliss, both steady, professional first basemen) when I was in my early teens.
  • Options
    If you like Tony Perez cards AND down-the-bat pics...then what arrived yesterday for me will please you....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Great Chuck Klein Autograph. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?
  • Options

<< <i>Great Chuck Klein Autograph. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? >>

Thanks! Chuck set me back $950, I got it from Phil Marks at the Reading Show on Saturday. When I walked up to the table it jumped out of the showcase and grabbed me by the collar and said, pick me! pick me! Klein is a tough autograph, he spent the last 9 years of his life living with his brother who ghost signed a lot of things for Chuck.
  • Options

<< <i>If you like Tony Perez cards AND down-the-bat pics...then what arrived yesterday for me will please you....

image >>

First Tony card I ever saw in my life, at the age of 10, and even then it knocked me dead. Love that look on his face. Like a shark image
  • Options
    Looks like I'm all in now for this set ... I just checked the SMR on line and looks like the Cobb will be the killer to acquire. This should be arriving this week.

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Church, Very nice Gettysburg Ed.

• Options
  • Options
    Halosfan, I started that Mecca set and acquired three or four different cards before starting to get outbid on nearly every one of the auctions I tried to win for about a month. I then decided that I couldn't go 'all in' as much as I wanted to and gave it up and sold the few cards that I had purchased.

Good luck with it, I think that it's very undervalued!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just got this one in this week to replace my other 66 Rose.

kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Since its a memorabilia forum, here is something I picked up at Reading.

Stub from Larsen's Perfect Game

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since its a memorabilia forum, here is something I picked up at Reading.

Stub from Larsen's Perfect Game

image >>

Wow! Admission for the World Series $2.10

You cant beat that image
  • Options

<< <i>

You cant beat that image >>

Yeah, but it was the most boring game *ever*!
  • Options
    some newer stuff

i got a pedro 3 color patch ultimate game patch 71/75
    Upper deck inkredible Steve Largent
    Sp authentic buy back auto Brandon webb 7/85
    trying to find pics on internet, i dont have a scanner
  • Options
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    My 1st T206 image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You cant beat that image >>

Yeah, but it was the most boring game *ever*! >>

Yeah, but they didnt know that at the time they were handing over their hard earned $2.10 image
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Great stuff guys image

Just got another mint Reggie today. image

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    This one might make my all-time favorite card list!...I love the Heisman shot of Trippi.

• Options
    That Trippi looks like a 7, to me.

These put me a shade under 10%.

imageimage

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Trippi looks like a 7, to me.

A small wax stain on back must be whats keeping it from a 7...front looks great!
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    my recent addition to my set..

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Coho, that's a beauty.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won this one:

All this talk of 78s had me itching to buy, so I figure, can't do the whole set, so I am going to start an Expos team set.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Another one my team set:
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    stown, Nice Maddox.

• Options
    GregM13 sent this great card to me for my birthday.

Thank you Greg. I really appreciate it image

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    greg is the man. he is aswome like that.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>stown, Nice Maddox.

image >>

Thanks, wanna trade straight up? image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Couldn't resist this

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

It certainly seems that rollerskating cards are grossly under-represented on these boards, so I thought I'd try to turn that around by posting this recent acquisition...

Actually, I recently took the leap into the T218's, and a lot of you folks who have been posting your cards from that set on this and other threads are largely to blame. I'm really enjoying it so far. They're beautiful cards. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>It certainly seems that rollerskating cards are grossly under-represented on these boards, so I thought I'd try to turn that around by posting this recent acquisition...

Actually, I recently took the leap into the T218's, and a lot of you folks who have been posting your cards from that set on this and other threads are largely to blame. I'm really enjoying it so far. They're beautiful cards. Thanks for the inspiration! >>

Beautiful color! How much was that? Mind me asking...
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful color! How much was that? Mind me asking... >>

I bought that in a lot of raw cards that broke down to less than $4 per card delivered. Another great reason to love these cards.