Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Just picked this up on ebay....a rare Lenox back image

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    turn....................... ->
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Awesome Yaz!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    won auction on e-bay last week for 1974 NL Variation cards, they arrived like this:

Ironically enough, there was a winfield rc in the package (not listed on e-bay auction description) that was in reasonably good condition, all things considered.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Another card to add to my SF Giants HoF sets.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • image 1943 Cuban card Imprenta Montiel. These are fairly rare in the US. Its an amateur player set but a few guys made it to the majors. This graded poor due to a tear and some glue on the back but the rarity more than makes up for it.

image 1910 T218 J.A. Ruddy, highest graded by SGC
  • image Just in from SGC. These were a card shop purchase for $1 a piece. Had to comb through a lot of stuff to find these beauties. 2 84's and an 86.
  • Southerncards, great T218!

One for the registry. I planned on holding out for a 9 but I figured I'd CMA with an 8 while they can be had cheap.

Arthur

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Arthur, Great Dempsey! What did that set you back?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julen - great packing job! Did ya thank'm for that?

Aurthur - very sweet "Dempsey" science!

Uncbob - very nice cards - I wanna say that you posted them raw originally - if so - nice results!!!! Congratulations.

thanx for sharing all
    mike
    Mike
  • SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Xanadu - Thanks! I pried that T218 away from a guy for a few bucks. I thought maybe it had a chance at a 70 but 60 is still nice and the highest graded so far. Problem is, now I set the bar!
  • ArnyVee, $79.50. I was pretty happy because one sold for $129.99 a month ago and $106 just 5 days after mine.

UncBob, very impressive. You've got yourself quite a collection just in those two cards alone.

Mike, Thanks!

Southerncards, are you going for that set? I've picked up some early-20th century boxing in SGC holders and I really like how they present. I was pleasantly surprised to find them to be, in my opinion, conservatively graded.

Arthur
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Uncbob - very nice cards - I wanna say that you posted them raw originally >>

I had the same thought. I believe he did, when he introduced himself.

<< <i>- if so - nice results!!!! Congratulations. >>

Definitely. As Arthur wrote, that's a superb starting point for any collection image
  • SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Xanadu - I'm not so sure that Im "going" for the set. I picked this one up on a whim while looking at the guys baseball stuff. Its a gorgeous card but I'm having enough trouble keeping up with my baseball and football sets.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur,

Nice Dempsey. These two came in yesterday image

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image Just in from SGC. These were a card shop purchase for $1 a piece. Had to comb through a lot of stuff to find these beauties. 2 84's and an 86. >>

Can't beat that!!
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    You boxing guys are crazy. Pretty soon we'll have our own boxing message board!

Are there any modern boxing cards worth collecting?
  • Yeah I did post them originally

Cards/Mags

got this a couple days ago

just got this!!1!!!
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those old boxing cards are very cool. Dudes weren't very big, were they? No HGH back then-

"Molon Labe"

aj .. we can hope!

Nice Pedro!
  • Uncbob - why SGC over PSA?
  • Not baseball, but a happy trip to the mailbox nonetheless...

• The photo above is from a strip of color 35mm negatives. There are eight frames of this beauty in all. I typically stick to medium format on nudes/risque, but these 35mm were so fresh and clean for 30 years old. Not a scratch anywhere to be found. I guess I like MINT stuff regardless of my hobby!
    dgf
  • hey dgf-

i like that part of your "hobby," too!
    thanks for sharing

• << <i>You boxing guys are crazy. Pretty soon we'll have our own boxing message board!

Are there any modern boxing cards worth collecting? >>

Ajw, the 1991 All World Boxing set literally has some of the finest sports photography on cards I've ever seen. They're not worth anything monetarily (I picked up a case of wax from BBCE for like $80 delivered) but it truly is one set I will put into binders just so I can flip through it from time to time.

Here's a few samples ....

Arthur
    Arthur ... did you get any 10 material for Joe Louis out of your case? I have been tempted to crack a case of that as well.

• << <i>Arthur ... did you get any 10 material for Joe Louis out of your case? I have been tempted to crack a case of that as well. >>

I'm sure I did. From what I can tell there are no significant condition issues with this set. Everything usually comes off well-centered with sharp corners. The one trick to it is that there are major problems with the colation. For instance, I probably got 8 Sugar Ray Robinsons in the first 3 boxes I opened but didn't receive any copies of numerous other cards.

Each box has a run of cards to it so that piecing together a set in 3 boxes is actually pretty tough. Luckily, it's so inexpensive that it doesn't matter. All my AW is back in MA but I plan on grabbing all my cards from there the next time I'm back. I'm sure I've got some 10 quality Louis stuff (including the fight-specific cards) and I'll send some of to you when they're in hand.

Arthur
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    jersey joe's face looks like a cartoon, wicked power son.

julen
    RIP GURU

• << <i>jersey joe's face looks like a cartoon, wicked power son.

julen >>

It was once said (by a HOF boxer) about Rocky Marciano that he was "the one fighter that after you fought him, you'd never be the same."

Arthur
    Another for the set:

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Phenomenal, Bob!!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    I posted this to a new thread, but I wanted to put it here to, for posterity...

I sent this out the day after Marvin Miller failed to win election to the Hall of Fame. My eyes lit up when my doorman handed me the package after I returned home from work.

This will make a nice companion to the card I won last month:

I forgot that this one came in the mail today, too. #5/5, the lowest numbered card I own. I paid more than I wanted, but I really like it...

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    That 5/5 is deadly, nice pickup.

• << <i>Uncbob - why SGC over PSA? >>

Submitted at the Reading Show for same day grades

Cards/Mags

• << <i>jersey joe's face looks like a cartoon, wicked power son.

julen >>

I have a Sport magazine with a full color page of that pic

Cards/Mags
    1997s, some great photography in this set:

• Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Pesky mice.

I have to say - I have an obscession...

It drives my wife crazy - when we got married I was 34 yrs old (late comer to the marriage game) and still had my sweaters from high school!

Well - I can't throw anything away - if I had lived in the same house - I would still have all the magazines and newspapers!!!

Here's my TV guide from the 1976 bicentennial 4th of July week!

Still has the mailing label on it!

Anyone else have this kind of stuff?
    mike
    Mike
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to say - I have an obscession...

It drives my wife crazy - when we got married I was 34 yrs old (late comer to the marriage game) and still had my sweaters from high school!

Well - I can't throw anything away - if I had lived in the same house - I would still have all the magazines and newspapers!!!

Here's my TV guide from the 1976 bicentennial 4th of July week!

Still has the mailing label on it!

Anyone else have this kind of stuff?
    mike >>

I just signed you up for several more magazines and had the bill me later option.

I used to save all my baseball digests from the 70s. But having moved too many times I tossed them out.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    More Boxing Stuff: 1950's Joe Palooka

Wondo

I picked up this art from Mike Gidwitz and he threw in this decal:

I'm clueless to what it is - he was also - is it Topps or Fleer?

I sent a copy to Bishop who collects everything under the sun - Topps. Another source would be BobBBCards - he also knows everything about Topps issues.

I'll see what I come up with.
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>I forgot that this one came in the mail today, too. #5/5, the lowest numbered card I own. I paid more than I wanted, but I really like it...

image >>

I've always loved The Thrill's auto.

BTW - The pitcher was Nolan Ryan image
    Continuing on my packrat theme - for the Jordan collector who thought they had it all?

Here's a military pub:

mike
    Mike