Home Sports Talk

2024 NFL Offseason/Regular Season Thread

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s recap the Jets hype train.
    Rodgers at 40 is finally the QB they’ve been waiting for.
    They’ll overtake Buffalo and win the East.
    The Jets have a top 5 defense won 7 games with out a QB.
    They have a top 5 run defense and the best CB in the league
    This is our year!!

CBC is out and SF running game will suffer.

Did I miss anything?

Same old Jets, different year

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Let’s recap the Jets hype train.
    Rodgers at 40 is finally the QB they’ve been waiting for.
    They’ll overtake Buffalo and win the East.
    The Jets have a top 5 defense won 7 games with out a QB.
    They have a top 5 run defense and the best CB in the league
    This is our year!!

CBC is out and SF running game will suffer.

Did I miss anything?

Same old Jets, different year

Week 1 is strange

I stand by saying the Jets compete for the division.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus NY lost to the 49ers, last season's SB runner-up, who even without McCaffrey are still loaded on both sides of the ball.
    Judging any team just on their week one performance alone just seems way premature.

@erikthredd said:
    Plus NY lost to the 49ers, last season's SB runner-up, who even without McCaffrey are still loaded on both sides of the ball.
    Judging any team just on their week one performance alone just seems way premature.

Never judge a team on one game. One game can show you that the team is not a Super Bowl contender.
    Baltimore is the same old Baltimore and the Jets cannot be a contender if you let a back up running back gouge you all game.
    They didn’t just lose, they got blown out to the point they pulled their QB with 5 minutes left.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

Never judge a team on one game. One game can show you that the team is not a Super Bowl contender.
    Baltimore is the same old Baltimore and the Jets cannot be a contender if you let a back up running back gouge you all game.
    They didn’t just lose, they got blown out to the point they pulled their QB with 5 minutes left.

Joe, the only thing that came out of that MNF game was, the Jets aren't on the 49ers level and if you're acting like they should have been then YOU believed that they were. Outside of Jets fans you were probably the only other fan to think that.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 8:24AM

everyone was talking up how formidable the Jets' D was going to be this season, then a CMC-less Niners team promptly rolled them up to the tune of one punt the entire game and scoring on 8 consecutive possessions at one point. go to a bullfight and watch a matador with a cape -- that's the type of resistance 11 guys wearing green were putting up for 4 quarters when they didn't have the ball. they made Jordan Mason look like Michael Jordan.

not to mention a 40-year-old, past-his-prime QB on the other side of the ball coming off a major injury that makes him look like he's aged 10 years

for me it boils down to one question when evaluating a certain team: "after what i witnessed, can i envision them ever beating Kansas City come playoffs time?"

please lol. it's already time to start drinking if you're a Jets fan imo

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

btw i'd just like to remind everyone here that my fav team erased a 17-pt deficit last Sunday and won a football game without scoring an offensive touchdown

still trying to decide if that's special or special needs

Has anyone HERE actually talked up the Jets defense other than maybe pointing to it as one of the possible reasons why NY might be able to win the AFCE in 2024? Do we even have any Jets fans here lol?

Even without McCaffrey that SF still consists of:
    LT Trent Williams - 2023 All-Pro 1st team (and widely considered the best Tackle in football)
    FB Kyle Juszczyk - 2023 All-Pro 1st team (and PFF's highest rated blocking fullback)
    TE George Kittles - 2023 All-Pro 1st team (and PFF's highest rated blocking TE)
    WR Brandon Aiyuk - 2023 All-Pro 2nd team (and PFF's highest rated blocking WR)

Its not that farfetched to believe that Shanahan could just plug in his backup RB and still rush for a ton of yards even against really good defenses. We watched Belichick do that for years with far less talented offensive lines.
    (Jonas Grey would like to say Hi! 😎)

I honestly could not care less about the Jets one way or another but it’s just ONE game at this point. To make any whole-picture judgements at this point just seems ludicrous.
    If we’re going to do that then might as well lump Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr, Joe Burrow and Tom Brady all as complete busts at their job this season.

Oh and the New England Patriots are going to now finish 17-0 this season. Why? Because they won on week one!

edited September 11, 2024 11:13AM

Fellas I own the Jets talk, I absolutely said I thought they would be great and in my opinion would be the odds on favorite to win the division.

Looks like I might be wrong but week 1 is strange as I said but they looked hapless against SF and I'm starting to re think who I believe will be winning the AFC East lol

@perkdog said:
    Fellas I own the Jets talk, I absolutely said I thought they would be great and in my opinion would be the odds on favorite to win the division.

Looks like I might be wrong but we'll 1 is strange as I said but they looked hapless against SF and I'm starting to re think who I believe will be winning the AFC East lol

Ahh, so you’re the secret Jets fan. 😉
    It’s just week one and making snap judgements off of one game just seems way too premature, at least it does to me.

edited September 11, 2024 9:46AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Looks like I might be wrong but we'll 1 is strange as I said but they looked hapless against SF and I'm starting to re think who I believe will be winning the AFC East lol

Ahh, so you’re the secret Jets fan. 😉
    It’s just week one a tond making snap judgements off of one game just seems way too premature, at least it does to me.

I mentioned them before the season started, I thought both Miami and Buffalo. would take a step. back and the Jets a huge step forward with a healthy Rodgers

Obviously I couldn't care less if the win a game or not

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

Joe, the only thing that came out of that MNF game was, the Jets aren't on the 49ers level and if you're acting like they should have been then YOU believed that they were. Outside of Jets fans you were probably the only other fan to think that.

Not me. Just the talking heads picking the Jets to win the division. Oh and let’s not forget Greenie saying the curse of Joe Namath is over and they’re winning the Super Bowl this season. Anyone check on him and hide all the sharp objects after the game?

W.C.Fields
    edited September 11, 2024 10:47AM

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

Not me. Just the talking heads picking the Jets to win the division. Oh and let’s not forget Greenie saying the curse of Joe Namath is over and they’re winning the Super Bowl this season. Anyone check on him and hide all the sharp objects after the game?

Greenie is the same idiot that tried making a story out of Jayson Tatum not smiling enough for his teammate Jaylen Brown when he was named MVP of the ECF, true story lol. ESPN is nothing more than a Hot Take factory at this point and you'd have to be extremely gullible to pay heed to anything those idiots say.

Regardless of all that, there's a real possibility of NY winning the AFCE this year. Will they do it? Who knows.

Eric i was referring to the talking heads as well, no one here lol

when i was reading up on that game there were numerous so-called experts making it sound like San Fran was about to go up against the '85 Bears defense. yeah, maybe the '85 Bears D when they're all dead.

the chances of the Jets winning that game were tantamount to mistlin winning the collectors universe man of the year award

@galaxy27 said:
    Eric i was referring to the talking heads as well, no one here lol

when i was reading up on that game there were numerous so-called experts making it sound like San Fran was about to go up against the '85 Bears defense. yeah, maybe the '85 Bears D when they're all dead.

the chances of the Jets winning that game were tantamount to mistlin winning the collectors universe man of the year award

Sounds like you guys fell for the NY hype train lol and the same is going on with the Knicks right now too. The NBA "experts" can't shut up about the Lakers & Warriors these days and their championship odds are about as good as you & I winning the Powerball b2b. 😉

The Jets won 7 games last season with Zach Wilson at QB and it was mostly due to their defense. Pair that same defense with a 4x MVP in Arod and sure, you can see a scenario where the jets could possibly win the East. Buffalo is a well rounded team and Josh Allen is awesome but they're not the Chiefs. Same could be said for Miami & Tua. All 3 teams are likely going to fighting it out for this division by season's end.

All you guys picking Miami or NYJ to win the East want to reconsider?

W.C.Fields
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

At this point Tua should probably retire while he can still remember how to spell his own last name. Even going back to college hes always been taking serious injuries almost every year

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@2dueces said:

Buffalo looks strong that's for sure

@Basebal21 said:
    At this point Tua should probably retire while he can still remember how to spell his own last name. Even going back to college hes always been taking serious injuries almost every year

Agreed

Poor guy has taken a beating

What’s lost in the Tua injury is the Bills trouncing the Dolphins again on national television. All the hype about Miami or the Jets winning the division preseason was a lot of hot air. The Jets got run over (Jets defense 85 Bears) by a backup and Buffalo missing 4 starters on defense, seems I’ve said that 2 years in a row manhandled the OL and shut down Hill 3-24, Waddle 4-41
    Bills OL dominated with Allen having to throw 19 times for 139 yards and zero turnovers. Wishful thinking a 40 year old 2 years removed from the game or Tua (hope he’s ok) would ever be the champions of the east as long as buffalo has #17

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    What’s lost in the Tua injury is the Bills trouncing the Dolphins again on national television. All the hype about Miami or the Jets winning the division preseason was a lot of hot air. The Jets got run over (Jets defense 85 Bears) by a backup and Buffalo missing 4 starters on defense, seems I’ve said that 2 years in a row manhandled the OL and shut down Hill 3-24, Waddle 4-41
    Bills OL dominated with Allen having to throw 19 times for 139 yards and zero turnovers. Wishful thinking a 40 year old 2 years removed from the game or Tua (hope he’s ok) would ever be the champions of the east as long as buffalo has #17

It will be very interesting to see how the division shakes out going forward, Miami is probably out of the conversation as is my Pats but I'm telling you Joe don't sleep on the Jets, I think your Bills will be solid but there is a lot of football to go

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats 2deuces the Bills are playing great. I wish I could have seen the game but no Amazon prime here.

The bengals are talking trash again. Jamar the mouth that roared Chase says the Bengals are the team to beat in the AFC. Yeah dunce since you’ve won 3 super bowls in 5 years right?
    And the db that’s going to defend Worthy says he has speed but that’s it. He says all you do is put hands on him to disrupt the speed. We will see.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills are looking great. I do think the J.E.T.S jets jets jets will be good this year.

Always keep in mind that every NFL team, no matter how talented is at the mercy of the injury bug. Buffalo, KC, Baltimore etc are all just one or two injuries away from their seasons effectively being over.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

edited September 13, 2024 7:42AM

@2dueces said:

Dude, no one here gives two craps if Miami or NY wins the division or not. Some,in at least my case,have said we think that one of the two could. That doesn’t mean the same as saying that they will.

Also lets stop acting like the Buffalo Bills are this juggernaut that can’t be beat because we all know that that is horseshiat. We go through this every season where you get all offended that fans from other teams aren’t praising the Bills when they play great and every year like clockwork when they start falling back to reality you’re either making excuses or disappearing for weeks at a time for personal reasons. How about we save the bragging for until the Bills actually win something of importance?

You’re in here trying to give Perk & I crap when we’ve been the only other non-Bills fans that have rooted for them come playoff time saying that we’d like to see them win it all for once.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

Dude, no one here gives two craps if Miami or NY wins the division or not. Some,in at least my case,have said we think that one of the two could. That doesn’t mean the same as saying that they will.

Also lets stop acting like the Buffalo Bills are this juggernaut that can’t be beat because we all know that that is horseshiat. We go through this every season where you get all offended that fans from other teams aren’t praising the Bills when they play great and every year like clockwork when they start falling back to reality you’re either making excuses or disappearing for weeks at a time for personal reasons. How about we save the bragging for until the Bills actually win something of importance?

You’re in here trying to give Perk & I crap when we’ve been the only other non-Bills fans that have rooted for them come playoff time saying that we’d like to see them win it all for once.

Wow. The only time I’ve ever disappeared was when my dog died. Didn’t know that me defending the Bills brought out so much anger with you. Sorry I’ll just post in the 160 post Patriots 2024 thread and root for them.

W.C.Fields
    edited September 13, 2024 9:43AM

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

Wow. The only time I’ve ever disappeared was when my dog died. Didn’t know that me defending the Bills brought out so much anger with you. Sorry I’ll just post in the 160 post Patriots 2024 thread and root for them.

Joe, cmon man, you do this literally every season. 1-2 Pats fans says something that isn’t straight out kissing your team’s ass, metaphorically speaking, and you just gripe about it endlessly. Relax already brother.

Also nice jab about the Pats at the end. These days, we Pats fans know that the team will blow their playoffs chances long before the playoffs come close to starting, you must not be paying attention when those same Pats fans are the only people here besides YOU saying that we’d like to see your team get over that KC hump In January. Unfortunately your Bills always find a way to end their season in epic fashion.

Miami just watched a large chunk of their season,if not all of it, go down the drain with that Tua injury. Just be grateful that it wasn’t your QB in that situation.

edited September 13, 2024 12:03PM

the next month of the Jets' season is not daunting. i can see them being in 1st when they face the Bills on Oct 14, so the hype train could very easily be in full effect.

and that's all fine and dandy, but i just can't get out of my head what I witnessed when they played a real team last Mon and made them punt one time in 4 quarters

they may win 10 or 11 games and make an appearance in the playoffs, and the football world will lose their collective minds. but im not buying them ever beating the best of the best on the way to a chip

@erikthredd said:
    Mad Dog Russo jumped off that Jets bandwagon real quick. 🤣
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSkxTqddSQ&pp=ygUMTWFkIGRvZyBqZXRz

I had to shut it off it was starting to grate on my nerves all the hollering 😂😂😂

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Mad Dog Russo jumped off that Jets bandwagon real quick. 🤣
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSkxTqddSQ&pp=ygUMTWFkIGRvZyBqZXRz

I had to shut it off it was starting to grate on my nerves all the hollering 😂😂😂

I only made it as far as his ranting about Jets fans having to wait 9hrs in traffic to watch a football game lol.
    Pretty soon it’ll be Rodgers fault that the Jets haven’t won a SB since Namath played. 😉

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

Joe, cmon man, you do this literally every season. 1-2 Pats fans says something that isn’t straight out kissing your team’s ass, metaphorically speaking, and you just gripe about it endlessly. Relax already brother.

Also nice jab about the Pats at the end. These days, we Pats fans know that the team will blow their playoffs chances long before the playoffs come close to starting, you must not be paying attention when those same Pats fans are the only people here besides YOU saying that we’d like to see your team get over that KC hump In January. Unfortunately your Bills always find a way to end their season in epic fashion.

Miami just watched a large chunk of their season,if not all of it, go down the drain with that Tua injury. Just be grateful that it wasn’t your QB in that situation.

These days in Mac’s second year you predicted 13 wins. You mean these days?

W.C.Fields

I should delete my last post. Life is too short to bicker with keyboard warriors. Enjoy the season. I’ll enjoy the Bills no matter how many wins and if they lose to KC then it’s on to next year

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

These days in Mac’s second year you predicted 13 wins. You mean these days?

I Was Wrong on any hype that I put into Mac Jones but I’m absolutely calling BS on me predicting 13 wins with Mac Jones as NE’s starting QB. I never did that with Brady at QB and I sure as hell didn’t do it with Mac.

That is definitely a provide pics or it never happened situation. 😂

I fully admit though that I expected more from Mac Jones, I just didn’t foresee Bill Belichik deciding that his team didn’t need an offensive coordinator lol.

@2dueces said:
    I should delete my last post. Life is too short to bicker with keyboard warriors. Enjoy the season. I’ll enjoy the Bills no matter how many wins and if they lose to KC then it’s on to next year

Joe it's all in good fun brother

Being 10000% straight up, if the Pats are out of it I would sincerely root for the Bills to get a ring , 🍻

@2dueces said:

It’s also too short to get worked up with what the “experts” like Greenie predict. It’s football where a team can look like a juggernaut one week and garbage the next.

Regardless of our back & forth above, I really do hope the Bills can finally put it all together this year to win the SB.

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Joe it's all in good fun brother

Being 10000% straight up, if the Pats are out of it I would sincerely root for the Bills to get a ring , 🍻

I’ve always said if the Chiefs get beat out I want to see the Bills make it to the SB. And mainly because of 2 deuces and Josh Allen.
    I like that combo a lot better than the Joe Burrow… Jamar the Mouth Chase combo. 😂

I do remember talking with the Show and saying I could see a scenario where Mac’s Pats win one more game in his year two than he did his rookie year when he finished 10-7. That was before BB decided to derail their season by naming his former DC as a first time OC so technically my “prediction” was 11 not 13.

@erikthredd said:
    I do remember talking with the Show and saying I could see a scenario where Mac’s Pats win one more game in his year two than he did his rookie year when he finished 10-7. That was before BB decided to derail their season by naming his former DC as a first time OC so technically my “prediction” was 11 not 13.

I just dug 6 pages into our Patriots 2022 season thread and couldn’t find any of my predictions where I had NE winning 11games let alone 13.

I did find this one though that never became a reality…
    🤣🤣🤣

On a side note I think the absolute most interesting fact about last night's game is Josh Allen only ran the ball 2 times for 2 yards.

That is crazy lol, maybe he is maturing and letting the running backs do their jobs more lol

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2024 7:02PM

Just a PSA for football fans, but Inside the NFL is now broadcast at 8 pm CST on Friday nights on the CW Channel. Bill Belichick is one of the hosts this year, and I've heard him talk more, smile more, and laugh more in the past hour than I thought possible.

Edit: As they were signing off the air tonight, they said they'd be back next week at 8 pm CST on WEDNESDAY. Check your local listings. I was told it was every Friday, but perhaps their slot has already been adjusted.

CMC placed on injured reserve. Since he missed week #1 that’s 5 weeks minimum.
    I don’t play it but I’m sure players wives with the #1 draft choice in fantasy are hiding all the sharp objects in the house.
    Especially bad are the $100-$500 entry leagues.
    One reason I don’t play and I’ve never understood player props either. Unless you’re in on the game plan why?
    I was on the score app Thursday night and every post was where’s Coleman?? Throw to Hill, is he even playing? Why isn’t Allen running. It’s hilarious these idiots just want to bet on anything.
    Why isn’t Allen running? First he didn’t need to and second he wasn’t going to with a lame limb.
    Betting a rookie in his second game over 4 receptions is down right stupid.
    I don’t know maybe it’s me. I’m old a grouchy. Get off my lawn

W.C.Fields

Cowboys fans after the Cleveland game: "Our defense is LEGIT"

then Derek Carr-Brees and the Saints make 5 house calls in the first half a week later

it's a beautiful life

@galaxy27 said:
    Cowboys fans after the Cleveland game: "Our defense is LEGIT"

then Derek Carr-Brees and the Saints make 5 house calls in the first half a week later

it's a beautiful life

I’m loving every minute or every dollar of the $60M of it

W.C.Fields

I know Cincinnati plays KC tough and Burrow is the only QB that has beaten Mahomes 4 times but I don’t think this is Joe Burrow of 2021. KC wins easy

W.C.Fields

Sea/NE headed to OT with the Pats winning the toss.

@erikthredd said:
    Sea/NE headed to OT with the Pats winning the toss.

And Seattle pulls out the win. Short week for NE with a road game against the Jets on TNF.

@perkdog
    This Patriots team is gonna give teams fit with that defense and running game. They are far better than a 4.5 win team. It’s amazing how a decent QB can make all the difference.

W.C.Fields

Refs bail out Mahomes again with a ticky tack penalty negating an interception

W.C.Fields