Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NFL Offseason/Regular Season Thread

erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2024 12:53PM in Sports Talk

Some free agent signings have started to leak out.
Falcons sign Kirk Cousins to 4yr/180M W/100m guaranteed
Saquon Barkley to the Eagles on 3yr/37M/26G
Packers sign RB Josh Jacobs
Jags sign WR Gabe Davis
Raiders sign DT Christain Wilkins
Russell Wilson to Pittsburgh on 1yr deal
RB Tony Pollard to the Titans

here's a FA tracker
https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-tracker-latest-signings-trades-contract-info-for-all-32-teams

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work Erik.

Great thread idea

• Options

Giants trade for Panthers pass rusher Brian Burns and make him the second highest paid defensive end in history w/5yr/150/87G contract
    Austin Ekeler signs with the Commanders
    Bucs CB Carlton Davis traded to Detroit
    Raiders sign Gardner Minshew

• Options

ESPN is now posting tweets made by country singers calling out the Panthers roster decisions. 🤣😂
    Luke Combs 🎤
    @lukecombs
    .@Panthers
    WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?!? No first round pick for McCaffrey a few years back and now none for Burns?!?! Are we just fire bombing the whole team here or what? I usually don’t comment on these kinds of things but it’s just becoming slow torture at this point.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    ESPN is now posting tweets made by country singers calling out the Panthers roster decisions. 🤣😂
    Luke Combs 🎤
    @lukecombs
    .@Panthers
    WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?!? No first round pick for McCaffrey a few years back and now none for Burns?!?! Are we just fire bombing the whole team here or what? I usually don’t comment on these kinds of things but it’s just becoming slow torture at this point.

That organization is not very good at decision making

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭

Not getting a first for McCaffery was a wild move especially to then trade up to the first for a QB. Tepper is known as one of the worst owners in sports though so its not surprising. Between the practice facility debacle, throwing a drink at a fan, 6 head coaches since 2018 its pretty easy to see why its not the best front office lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Luke Combs 🎤
    @lukecombs
    .@Panthers

That organization is not very good at decision making

I just read that they got offered two first rounders back in late 2022 for Burns that they turned down because they planned on signing him longterm, Carolina ended up with a 2nd, future 5th and 5th rounder pick swaps for Burns today.

Not on the same scale but reports are coming out today that NE hasn't offered a contract to Josh Uche and may plan on letting him walk when there was a team that offered a 5th rounder for him at the trade deadline. He could still end up returning though.

• Options

Darnold signing with the Vikings 1 year 10 million

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

seems like a pretty big overpay for Burns.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Is that market for one of the worst QB's in the league?

10 million for Sam Darnold seems steep

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Salary Inflation. Its worse at QB/backup QB but most positions just keep seeing the average salary go up with each new offseason.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luke Combs torches Panthers after team's latest reported roster move
    Panthers reportedly trade Brian Burns to Giants.

DD is Luke Combs.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Some more signings...
    Derrick henry to Baltimore
    Mike Gesicki to Cincy
    Tyrod Taylor to the NYJ
    jameis Winston to the Browns
    Aaron jones to the Vikings
    joe Mixon traded to Houston
    Shaq Barrett to Miami
    Daryl Mooney to Atlanta
    Marcus Mariota to Washington

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Some more signings...
    Mike Gesicki to Cincy
    Tyrod Taylor to the NYJ
    Shaq Barrett to Miami
    Daryl Mooney to Atlanta

Jones to the Vikings wow, too bad Minny doesn't have a QB

Looks like they will succeed the division to Green Bay before the season even starts lol

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 12:06PM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Some more signings...
    Mike Gesicki to Cincy
    Tyrod Taylor to the NYJ
    Shaq Barrett to Miami
    Daryl Mooney to Atlanta

Jones to the Vikings wow, too bad Minny doesn't have a QB

Looks like they will succeed the division to Green Bay before the season even starts lol

Well, NE has this 3rd overall pick right there for the trading. 😎
    The Vikings have plenty of offensive weapons, they just need someone to throw the ball now that Cousins is gone. If they plan on extending jefferson to what would arguably be the highest WR contract in history, it wouldn't hurt to have your QB locked in for 4 seasons on rookie scale money.

• Options

WR DeVante Parker signs with the Eagles.

• Options

With so many running backs switching teams these past few days, there's an interesting Super Bowl RB stat that got posted: Since 2013 no SB winner has paid their starting RB more than 2.5M in salary. We'll see if Saquon & Derrick Henry can end that streak.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    Luke Combs torches Panthers after team's latest reported roster move
    Panthers reportedly trade Brian Burns to Giants.

DD is Luke Combs.

Me Luke Combs? No, I have the utmost confidence in our owner David Tepper, I respect his decision making 100%, he knows what's best for our team. Keep up the good work Mr. Tepper.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    WR DeVante Parker signs with the Eagles.

Good riddance

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Hell probably be pretty good if he stays healthy. They have a very good WR core and QBs get better when they leave the Jets. His injury history isnt great though If they werent going to resign Cousins a 1 year stop gap QB was the smart move. Either it works and its a Baker Mayfield situation or it crashes and burns and they get a QB at the top of next years draft which will have Ewers, Beck, and Sanders among others at the QB position

• Options

Vikings pass rusher Danielle Hunter to the Texans on 2yr/49M deal with 48M guaranteed, Houston couldn't just add that last mill to the 48? 🤣

Bills safety Jordan Poyer to the Dolphins.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 3:44PM

@erikthredd said:
    Vikings pass rusher Danielle Hunter to the Texans on 2yr/49M deal with 48M guaranteed, Houston couldn't just add that last mill to the 48? 🤣

Houston is making a run for it.

They are spending like they are on the cusp, they BEST hope Stroud doesn't hit a sophomore slump

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

They are spending like they are on the cusp, they BEST hope Stroud doesn't hit a sophomore slump

Now is the time to do it while Stroud is on rookie money.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Absolutely, I respect what they are doing 100%

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Anderson too and Metchie coming back from an ACL injury. Theyre in a very good spot at the moment to go for it

• Options

Pat Mahomes with a very Brady-esque move by restructuring his contract to free up over 21M in cap space. Its going to be interesting to see what KC does with it, there are still quite a few solid wideouts that they could add.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Pat Mahomes with a very Brady-esque move by restructuring his contract to free up over 21M in cap space. Its going to be interesting to see what KC does with it, there are still quite a few solid wideouts that they could add.

I'm really going to be rooting against KC this upcoming season, he can't be gaining anymore goat talk

• Options

Jimmy G just got released by the Raiders, NE needs to sign him then convince Tom to come out of retirement to get the band back together.

Brady does look like Jim Carey from the Mask. 🤣

• Options

Pretty coincidental that Mahomes is restructuring at the same time the Chargers just cut Mike Williams

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Pretty coincidental that Mahomes is restructuring at the same time the Chargers just cut Mike Williams

Who only played 3 games last year and still posted 19 catches and over 200 yards

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Who only played 3 games last year and still posted 19 catches and over 200 yards

And that was coming off an ACL surgery.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ended up in KC. Not a great injury history but a stud when healthy.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ended up in KC. Not a great injury history but a stud when healthy.

I'd really like the Pats to grab him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

It would certainly be smart to at least try and get him. Whether or not he would have any interest going there I do not know

• Options

Sam Howell, a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder traded to Seattle for their 3rd and 5th rounder. Washington now has 6 of the top 100 picks

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

It would certainly be smart to at least try and get him. Whether or not he would have any interest going there I do not know

I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go to the Pats but if Mayo is smart he should try

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go to the Pats but if Mayo is smart he should try

For sure, the worst thing that can happen is his agent just says no or uses them to get a better contract somewhere else. Id be concerned if they didnt at least reach out to him

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 3:09PM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

For sure, the worst thing that can happen is his agent just says no or uses them to get a better contract somewhere else. Id be concerned if they didnt at least reach out to him

I'm already concerned that they really haven't put their hat in the ring for some bigger name early signings,

I'm not saying I want them to over pay for players but I want them to at least look like they are trying

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I'm already concerned that they really haven't put their hat in the ring for some bigger name early signings,

I'm not saying I want them to over pay for players but I want them to at least look like they are trying

Completely agree. Most of the big names have signed already and it looks like the Chargers will be able to keep Allen now that Bosa restructured his deal today and Mack did a few days before. Impact players are getting very thin other than trades

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 4:09PM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Who did they really miss on from that bigger names list that would have really made a difference with this team in 2024? We know that their largest holes are at QB,WR & Tackle so,ok, look at who signed and they missed out on.

QB
    1. Cousins got 4/180/100 from Atlanta. He could have helped but they'd still have major holes on offense around him and would he really want to come to NE and start over at his age? Probably not.
    2. Mayfield got 3/100/50 from TB. He never actually hit free agency and was on record saying that NE was not an option.
    Every other available QB was a Jag like Brissett.

WR
    2. Evans got 2/41/35 from TB. He also never hit free agency and was reported that NE would not have been an option as a FA.
    3. Pittman first got tagged then signed 3/70/46 while never hitting free agency.
    4. Tee Higgins got tagged and is still to TBD.
    5. Ridley got 4/92/50 from TEN. Supposedly NE was in at 22/y while JAC was under 20 per. The majority of reports sound like he either was leveraging the Pats (and Jags) the whole time until a better offer came along or NE's total guaranteed number wasn't on par with that 50 from TEN, definitely possible but the Pats offering 22m/yr to a WR was more than double any other WR offer that they've ever made in team history which is a good sign that they were probably offering major guaranteed money with it but who knows. 🤷‍♂️

No other WR that has signed in free agency is better name than that group. Mooney & Gabe Davis are on the same level as the group of Wrs still sitting out there.

Tackle/Offensive Line
    1. Guard Robert Hunt got 5/100/44 from Carolina. Had NE spent a large chunk of cap on Hunt,on top of Onwenu, that probably would have gone over well with the fanbase but still that would have been 25/yr for Hunt & 19/yr for Onwenu and neither is a full time tackle.
    2. Guard Damien Lewis got 4/53/26 from Carolina too. Would have been a solid signing like Hunt but your still looking for two tackles.
    3. Guard Jonah Jackson got 3/51/34 from the Rams. Same as above.
    4. Center Lloyd Cushenberry 4/50/26 from the Titans. Center is usually the easiest OL position to find in the draft.

Tackle Jonah Williams got 2/30/19 from the Cards who was the best Tackle signed so far. NE could have really used him.

TE
    NE paid Henry who was considered the best/2nd best TE available and found a similar replacement for Gesicki in Hooper.

RB
    Jacobs, Barkley, Pollard & Swift all got paid and Henry looks like he wanted to go play for a contender. i would have been ok with signing one of those 5 but I want to just point put how certain Pats on this blog mentioned not too long ago about not needing to spend big on RBs lol. 😎

Defense
    DT Christain WIlkins got 4/110/82 from the Raiders. Our fanbase would be losing their minds right now if NE signed a DT for that much money while the QB/WR/Tackle holes are what they are.
    Hunter/Mckinney/Huff/Williams/Armstead all could have individually been a solid signing for NE but none would have been cheap. Not Wilkins type money but still at minimum large chunks of guaranteed money. Great, the defense is even better but you still have all of those holes on offense with considerably less cap space.

These are all of the major signings so far.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/
    Sure quite a few of those bigger names could have definitely improved the team but when you factor in the pros & cons of what each signing would mean, there were only a select few that would have actually improved what we currently have at QB, WR & Tackle.

So far free agency has been official for just 27hrs and there are plenty of really good players still out there that could help this team.
    There was never going to be this quick fix be it through free agency or the draft so the front office has actually been smart with their decisions so far by re-signing their better free agents while preserving some major cap space in case they find someone worth spending on. Not overpaying for a non-position of need or for a WR about to turn 30 with a checkered playing history is not the end of the world.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Who did they really miss on from that bigger names list that would have really made a difference with this team in 2024? We know that their largest holes are at QB,WR & Tackle so,ok, look at who signed and they missed out on.

QB
    1. Cousins got 4/180/100 from Atlanta. He could have helped but they'd still have major holes on offense around him and would he really want to come to NE and start over at his age? Probably not.
    2. Mayfield got 3/100/50 from TB. He never actually hit free agency and was on record saying that NE was not an option.
    Every other available QB was a Jag like Brissett.

WR
    2. Evans got 2/41/35 from TB. He also never hit free agency and was reported that NE would not have been an option as a FA.
    3. Pittman first got tagged then signed 3/70/46 while never hitting free agency.
    4. Tee Higgins got tagged and is still to TBD.
    5. Ridley got 4/92/50 from TEN. Supposedly NE was in at 22/y while JAC was under 20 per. The majority of reports sound like he either was leveraging the Pats (and Jags) the whole time until a better offer came along or NE's total guaranteed number wasn't on par with that 50 from TEN, definitely possible but the Pats offering 22m/yr to a WR was more than double any other WR offer that they've ever made in team history which is a good sign that they were probably offering major guaranteed money with it but who knows. 🤷‍♂️

No other WR that has signed in free agency is better name than that group. Mooney & Gabe Davis are on the same level as the group of Wrs still sitting out there.

Tackle/Offensive Line
    1. Guard Robert Hunt got 5/100/44 from Carolina. Had NE spent a large chunk of cap on Hunt,on top of Onwenu, that probably would have gone over well with the fanbase but still that would have been 25/yr for Hunt & 19/yr for Onwenu and neither is a full time tackle.
    2. Guard Damien Lewis got 4/53/26 from Carolina too. Would have been a solid signing like Hunt but your still looking for two tackles.
    3. Guard Jonah Jackson got 3/51/34 from the Rams. Same as above.
    4. Center Lloyd Cushenberry 4/50/26 from the Titans. Center is usually the easiest OL position to find in the draft.

Tackle Jonah Williams got 2/30/19 from the Cards who was the best Tackle signed so far. NE could have really used him.

TE
    NE paid Henry who was considered the best/2nd best TE available and found a similar replacement for Gesicki in Hooper.

RB
    Jacobs, Barkley, Pollard & Swift all got paid and Henry looks like he wanted to go play for a contender. i would have been ok with signing one of those 5 but I want to just point put how certain Pats on this blog mentioned not too long ago about not needing to spend big on RBs lol. 😎

Defense
    DT Christain WIlkins got 4/110/82 from the Raiders. Our fanbase would be losing their minds right now if NE signed a DT for that much money while the QB/WR/Tackle holes are what they are.
    Hunter/Mckinney/Huff/Williams/Armstead all could have individually been a solid signing for NE but none would have been cheap. Not Wilkins type money but still at minimum large chunks of guaranteed money. Great, the defense is even better but you still have all of those holes on offense with considerably less cap space.

These are all of the major signings so far.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/
    Sure quite a few of those bigger names could have definitely improved the team but when you factor in the pros & cons of what each signing would mean, there were only a select few that would have actually improved what we currently have at QB, WR & Tackle.

So far free agency has been official for just 27hrs and there are plenty of really good players still out there that could help this team.
    There was never going to be this quick fix be it through free agency or the draft so the front office has actually been smart with their decisions so far by re-signing their better free agents while preserving some major cap space in case they find someone worth spending on. Not overpaying for a non-position of need or for a WR about to turn 30 with a checkered playing history is not the end of the world.

Great write up Erik

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 9:02PM

Chargers just traded WR Keenan Allen to the Bears for a 4th round pick.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39735083/chargers-trading-wr-keenan-allen-bears-4th-rounder

WR Hollywood Brown signs a 1yr deal with the Chiefs.
    Wr Curtis Samuel to the Bills on a 3yr deal.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 9:45PM

In shocking news, the Chargers just traded Keenan Allen to the Bears for a 4th round pick

• Options

Wow Keenan Allen traded and they cut Williams. Crazy that they are revamping their WSr corps.

With what replacements is the big question

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Chargers just traded WR Keenan Allen to the Bears for a 4th round pick.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39735083/chargers-trading-wr-keenan-allen-bears-4th-rounder

WR Hollywood Brown signs a 1yr deal with the Chiefs.
    Wr Curtis Samuel to the Bills on a 3yr deal.

Curtis Samuel is a huge upgrade over Gabriel I'm thinking

• Options
    edited March 15, 2024 7:04AM

The Vikings just acquired a second 1st round pick from the Texans. That gives them #11 & 23 which could be interesting in a possible move up to #3.
    Minnesota Gets:
    23rd
    232nd

Houston Gets:
    42nd
    188th
    2nd in 2025

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

for the first time in a very long while, i can honestly say that my team has the potential of being a handful on offense

already had DJ Moore and Cole Kmet, and now we've added D'Andre Swift, Keenan Allen and Gerald Everett

and of course we know who is going to be behind center...............with all of those pieces, if Caleb has a CJ Stroud-esque season it wouldn't surprise me at all. and that's an extremely bold statement coming from a fan of a team that occasionally sometimes n-e-v-e-r produces stellar quarterback play.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    for the first time in a very long while, i can honestly say that my team has the potential of being a handful on offense

already had DJ Moore and Cole Kmet, and now we've added D'Andre Swift, Keenan Allen and Gerald Everett

and of course we know who is going to be behind center...............with all of those pieces, if Caleb has a CJ Stroud-esque season it wouldn't surprise me at all. and that's an extremely bold statement coming from a fan of a team that occasionally sometimes n-e-v-e-r produces stellar quarterback play.

It's definitely good to hear your team is giving you reason to be excited, which btw is well warranted

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

If there's any NFL team that deserves to finally hit big on a QB, its definitely the Bears.

What's up with Fields? Can't find a taker? Or asking too much in return? All of the rumors that keep popping up about him are all over the place. We still have fans of his up here in NE that aren't giving up hope that the Pats eventually trade for him lol.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Wow Keenan Allen traded and they cut Williams. Crazy that they are revamping their WSr corps.

With what replacements is the big question

They own the 5th pick and with some combo of Williams/Daniel/Maye going top 3 and likely MHJ going 4th, it leaves the Chargers choosing between Nabers or Odunze. I don't know what their other needs are but with picks 37 & 69 they could still find another good WR, on top of one of those two.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

What's up with Fields? Can't find a taker? Or asking too much in return? All of the rumors that keep popping up about him are all over the place. We still have fans of his up here in NE that aren't giving up hope that the Pats eventually trade for him lol.

the Bears are finding out that the market is much softer than they anticipated

Fields' value is fool's gold...........no way they were ever getting a 1 for him

• Options

Chicago is drafting Caleb, Washington is drafting a QB, if NE trades down another QB will be off the board, if NE sticks i hope and pray they do the same, then Marvin the Martian becomes Kyler's new playtoy

draft day has the potential to be an above-average day for galaxy