Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NFL Offseason/Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Even if the Pats wanted to draft JJ at 3 I highly doubt they would,

The backlash by the fans,media and everyone else if JJ was worse than Jones would be too much, the risk way outweighs the reward

I think this time it would be different. They drafted Mac then got decent Qb play out of him in Year 1. McDaniels leaves and BB never replaces him,he decides to give the job to two guys that had huge success as coordinators for him but those units weren't offense. It was a huge disaster and now 2 years later we're starting to rebuild that offense from scratch.

McCarthy will likely be a decent QB if given the chance to develop, its just in this new NFL draft world where QBs get picked consideraby higher than some should,we'll see players like JJ & Mac drafted about 20-30 picks higher than they should have gone.

WHoever gets picked at 3,assuming its NE picking a QB there, will have the full support of the organization this time around unlike with Mac. McCarthy wouldn't be my first choice if Maye or Daniels are still there but hopefully the plan hasn't changed much if he is picked at 3. Still sit the QB while he learnes the ropes and keep building the offense around him. Then when you feel he's ready,start him.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

Washington is meeting with JJ. Washington taking him at 2 would be the most Washington thing of all time

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Washington is meeting with JJ. Washington taking him at 2 would be the most Washington thing of all time

That would be epic

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024 1:31PM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:
    Even if the Pats wanted to draft JJ at 3 I highly doubt they would,

The backlash by the fans,media and everyone else if JJ was worse than Jones would be too much, the risk way outweighs the reward

I think this time it would be different. They drafted Mac then got decent Qb play out of him in Year 1. McDaniels leaves and BB never replaces him,he decides to give the job to two guys that had huge success as coordinators for him but those units weren't offense. It was a huge disaster and now 2 years later we're starting to rebuild that offense from scratch.

McCarthy will likely be a decent QB if given the chance to develop, its just in this new NFL draft world where QBs get picked consideraby higher than some should,we'll see players like JJ & Mac drafted about 20-30 picks higher than they should have gone.

WHoever gets picked at 3,assuming its NE picking a QB there, will have the full support of the organization this time around unlike with Mac. McCarthy wouldn't be my first choice if Maye or Daniels are still there but hopefully the plan hasn't changed much if he is picked at 3. Still sit the QB while he learnes the ropes and keep building the offense around him. Then when you feel he's ready,start him.

As I said before I want whoever they draft to be on the bench for a minimum of the first 10 games of the season if not the entire season

• Options

Some of the comparisons that I've been hearing for JJ McCarthy are Alex Smith,Jared Goff & Brock Purdy. I get the Alex Smith one because he played under Urban Meyer at Utah on a team that was in all likelyhood very stacked.
    The Goff & Purdy comps I think are more about since they came into the NFL where Goff originally played for a very talented Rams team and more recently Brock Purdy in a similar situation with the 49ers.

With Maye & Daniels,you've already seen them both at the best AND worst. With JJ its really been nothing but winning.
    In any other situation I'd probably be ok with coming out of the draft with a QB like JJ but NE's offense structure has been torn down to the bare bones. Dropping a kid like that onto this team when no one has ever previously seen how he'd handle adversity is not a good idea especially after having done the same with Mac.

• Options

Looks like the Falcons may get fined for tampering with Kirk Cousins before it was time to legally tamper.🤣
    https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/could-a-falcons-vikings-tampering-settlement-be-announced-just-before-round-one-of-the-draft

The suggested fine of having the Falcons & Vikings switch the #8 & #11 picks seems like a good compromise, it tcould also greatly benefit the Pats if Minnesota does trade their two 1sts in this draft for #3. 😎

• Options

Pats bringing in McCarthy for a visit. Starting to seem like some guys are just telling teams not to draft them.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 5:34PM

I doubt that that's happening with New England when they'll have had all three of Maye,Daniels & McCarthy in once he actually visits.
    I'd be very very suprised if NE drafts JJ, I think this is more doing their due diligence than anything else. Its pretty well known by now that those other two have so much more upside than he does.

• Options

Its really just getting weird that these teams with high picks are taking the time for him to bring him in. Theres years of game film on him and I'll never understand why a pro day should matter

• Options

At the very least,they're building up his trade value by telling everyone that there are 4 QBs at the top of this draft and not just 3. More QBs means more teams that could be interested in trading up. Or they could really like him. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

I get the trying to pump someone up but even thats really kind of a fantasy football move type thing. No one should be in charge of an NFL draft if that would trick them. If anything it seems like teams should call the bluff if Washington and the Pats dont like what will be there for them. I get it from the media side, I just dont understand how all of a sudden teams at the top of the draft seem to be interested in a QB that even Michigan didnt trust

• Options

Never underestimate the desperation that some NFL GM’s base franchise altering decisions on. I think WAS, NE, ARI & LAC are all sitting back waiting to see if someone bites. They’re all likely to be picking in the original spots but they’re still going to play the game.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Never underestimate the desperation that some NFL GM’s base franchise altering decisions on. I think WAS, NE, ARI & LAC are all sitting back waiting to see if someone bites. They’re all likely to be picking in the original spots but they’re still going to play the game.

Never underestimate the STPUPIDITY of some of NFL GM's

• Options
    edited April 15, 2024 2:37PM

For sure. Id be surprised if Washington traded back unless they got some stupid offer but do agree that Arizona and the Chargers would probably prefer to trade back. If any of them get someone to bite on McCarthy Id hope that GM that traded up for him has his resume prepared

There are growing reports that Eliot Wolf does prefer McCarthy

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

if Arizona moves off of 4 there will be a jar a vasoline nearby

to the tune of three 1st rounders in their hip pocket

otherwise, they'll fill their roster's biggest void with arguably the top prospect in the draft

two words:

catbird

seat

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if Arizona moves off of 4 there will be a jar a vasoline nearby

to the tune of three 1st rounders in their hip pocket

otherwise, they'll fill their roster's biggest void with arguably the top prospect in the draft

two words:

catbird

seat

They're actually in a position to just kill it in this draft. Say that they trade pick #4 to Minnesota for their two 1sts & one next year, they'd be holding picks 11,23,27,35,66,71,90 & 104 in a very deep draft especially at WR & OL which is what Kyler Murray needs.
    Eight picks in the top 104 would improve that team greatly after making just that one trade that could realistically happen. Even if they didn't they're still in a great position come draft time.

• Options

Zach Wilson to the Broncos for a pick swap. This guy was the 2nd pick in the entire draft and three years later he's getting moved with the 256th pick for the 203rd pick.

If Denver can convince Zach to change his jersey number from 2 to 3, just think of all of those Broncos Russell Wilson jerseys that won't get wasted. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Zach Wilson to the Broncos for a pick swap. This guy was the 2nd pick in the entire draft and three years later he's getting moved with the 256th pick for the 203rd pick.

If Denver can convince Zach to change his jersey number from 2 to 3, just think of all of those Broncos Russell Wilson jerseys that won't get wasted. 😎

He has almost played on as many teams as Mayfield lol

• Options

Reports growing from Shefty and others that the Falcons may be losing some picks or pick for some sort of tampering during the Cousins signing

• Options
    edited April 24, 2024 10:30AM

@Basebal21 said:
    Reports growing from Shefty and others that the Falcons may be losing some picks or pick for some sort of tampering during the Cousins signing

Not anything like a first rounder though, more like mid to later rounds?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Not anything like a first rounder though, more like mid to later rounds?

There speculation for a couple days that part of the punishment was going to be the Vikings and Falcons trading first round picks. I dont think anything will impact this draft being so close and the majority of reports and rumors say the NFL will wait until after the draft.

No ones really speculated on what round or how many picks, but most are using the word significant. A third rounder has happened to other teams in the past, Cousins was apparently helping recruit guys as well so I dont know if that would escalate it

• Options

Buffalo signed WR Chase Claypool to a one year deal. They've now added Claypool,Curtis Samuel and drafted Keon Coleman high in the draft after losing Gabe Davis & Stefon Diggs.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Buffalo signed WR Chase Claypool to a one year deal. They've now added Claypool,Curtis Samuel and drafted Keon Coleman high in the draft after losing Gabe Davis & Stefon Diggs.

Claypool is completely useless

• Options
    edited May 3, 2024 12:21PM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Who knows, maybe with a better QB throwing to him he improves. Keon Coleman is their big WR addition, I was hoping he would fall to us. He's big at 6-3 and he's more shifty than fast, I think he'll be real good for them. If he turns into a WR1 then all of those other marginal WRs see less pass protection.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2024 12:37PM

Odell Beckham Jr to the Dolphins on a 1yr deal. Tua now has a really good core of WRs to throw to in Waddle,Hill,OBJ & two decent wideouts from the draft.

We may see some more FA defensive back signings in the AFC East over the coming weeks.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Who knows, maybe with a better QB throwing to him he improves. Keon Coleman is their big WR addition, I was hoping he would fall to us. He's big at 6-3 and he's more shifty than fast, I think he'll be real good for them. If he turns into a WR1 then all of those other marginal WRs see less pass protection.

Claypool has been given a bunch of opportunities and he hasn't done a thing, he is one of those K Toney types. He is just not worth adding to the roster

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Claypool has been given a bunch of opportunities and he hasn't done a thing, he is one of those K Toney types. He is just not worth adding to the roster

He’s good for training camp competition along with 5 other players the Bills signed. It’s a long ways to September

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

WR Tyler Boyd to the Titans on a 1yr deal.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I would have liked the Pats to have signed him.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2024 3:27PM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I would have liked the Pats to have signed him.

Me too. He was available when they signed KJ Osborn and they make think Osborn has more upside. He also 3yrs younger than Boyd too.

There's going to be 2-3 mainstays at WR that aren't going to make the team this year. With an entirely new everything on offense this season I bet that there's alot of jobs on the line. They're loaded with cap space so someone having guaranteed money still owed on their contract is no guarantee that they make the team.

• Options

4 years 212 million with 170 guaranteed extension for Goff

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

I wonder if Detroit will be as good as they were last year.

Goff seems to be a pretty good fit

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for Goff. man that is a lot of money!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Buffalo signed WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to 1yr deal.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

So he will have less than his 1 or 2 catch per game usual now?

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

When he was on the Packers I thought he might have some type of calcification on his hands that prevented him from catching the ball with ease.

• Options

@bgr said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

When he was on the Packers I thought he might have some type of calcification on his hands that prevented him from catching the ball with ease.

He is terrible. I classify him as I do Chase Claypool, completely useless

• Options

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    Lions now have awarded over $444 million in contract extension this offseason to three players:

🏈Jared Goff: 4-years, $212M
    🏈 Amon-Ra St. Brown: 4-years, $120.01M
    🏈Penei Sewell: 4-years, $112M

That's the three toughest positions to fill on offense, looks like Detroit's O is all set for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC was sitting pretty with Kelce, Rice, Brown, and Worthy, but one of those 4 decided to morph into a thug and is doing his very best to wreck the new and improved offense. as a result, the Chiefs went after Zay Jones to fill the potential void, but Arizona swooped in and stole him.

ZJ has the ability to be a 2 or 3 who compliments Maserati Marv nicely, but he's also an injury risk.

the revamped Bears and Cardinals offenses are giving me moist dreams at night

• Options

@erikthredd said:

An incentive heavy contract. Not much risk. Let’s face it, the cap is real. The 13 seconds game ruined the all in plan and now they’ll pay for it until 2026. But they still have Josh Allen.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Bills-Dolphins open Thursday night football in Week 2. Guess we’ll see better games on Amazon Prime this year

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

They should be competitive at least. Thats the hardest division to predict. Bears won the offseason getting Allen for basically nothing but Caleb has issues making throws that he wont get away with in the NFL, Vikings I dont believe in their QB but if hes not at least solid hes worse than I thought, and Lions and Packers are both good teams.

Could have all of them finish in any order and none would be surprising. Goff definitely seems like a good fit with what they have, hopefully they stay aggressive which was fun to watch

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bgr said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

And then he would catch a bomb and all was forgiven until after he drops the next 6 easy 1st downs... He reminded me of Robert Brooks when he first came into the league. Or, around the same time, Terrell Owens... His start was ridiculously bad and then it was like he caught every single ball.

• Options

@bgr said:

@perkdog said:

@bgr said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

And then he would catch a bomb and all was forgiven until after he drops the next 6 easy 1st downs... He reminded me of Robert Brooks when he first came into the league. Or, around the same time, Terrell Owens... His start was ridiculously bad and then it was like he caught every single ball.

Jerry Rice was the same way.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

They should be competitive at least. Thats the hardest division to predict. Bears won the offseason getting Allen for basically nothing but Caleb has issues making throws that he wont get away with in the NFL, Vikings I dont believe in their QB but if hes not at least solid hes worse than I thought, and Lions and Packers are both good teams.

Could have all of them finish in any order and none would be surprising. Goff definitely seems like a good fit with what they have, hopefully they stay aggressive which was fun to watch

I have zero confidence in Williams in Chicago. Maybe it’s just me but the pink finger nails, lipstick, pink phone case and the Southern California attitude just doesn’t exude confidence in playing 4 games in winter football in the division. Not mentioned cold out of division games. I’m not predicting J. Russell but we’ll see.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I have zero confidence in Williams in Chicago. Maybe it’s just me but the pink finger nails, lipstick, pink phone case and the Southern California attitude just doesn’t exude confidence in playing 4 games in winter football in the division. Not mentioned cold out of division games. I’m not predicting J. Russell but we’ll see.

I think his bust potential is a lot higher than its being made out to be. Theres a lot of college people that are split on him as well. He was pretty average when they actually played a good team and was just terrible against Notre Dame, but would run up the stats on bad teams like Colorado. Seems like hes trying to do the look how cool I am Cam Newton thing, but we all know how his career went when he started doing that.

Itll be interesting for sure especially with the Bears history of QBs. He does have the physical frame and arm that entices people though. Him and JJ have no excuses for that division, the weapons are there for both of them

• Options

NFL is apparently going to try out a tracking system for ball placement in the preseason like soccer has that could be implemented for the season if it goes well

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    NFL is apparently going to try out a tracking system for ball placement in the preseason like soccer has that could be implemented for the season if it goes well

I tried to find some detail on how it works and came up empty. I’m trying to figure out which problems it solves objectively considering that the issue is usually where the ball is when the ball carrier is down.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2024 6:55PM

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

I tried to find some detail on how it works and came up empty. I’m trying to figure out which problems it solves objectively considering that the issue is usually where the ball is when the ball carrier is down.

Mostly just that you wont have any error with the chain gang running out onto the field doing measures. I'm not sure how far they plan to go with it for now. Fifa has had chipped balls and using it for a couple years with the offsides stuff. Owners still have to approve it for the regular season but is possible it could be there this season in some way

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Good for Goff. man that is a lot of money!!

Just goes to show, you can say the Earth is flat, and go on to be rich and an NFL qb..................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...