Home Sports Talk

2024 NFL Offseason/Regular Season Thread

14567810»

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

It's Shocking.

If I'm the owner I'm literally firing everyone that was involved in this Bryce Young decision making disaster.

when you pivot to the red rifle a little over a year in, multiple people are deserving of the gas chamber

i didn't even realize that mfer was still in the league

I had no idea he was either last I remembered he was on the Cowboys when Dak got hurt, then I completely forgot about him

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 1:26PM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

What took them so long?...........
    "Panthers benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young after 0-2 start; Andy Dalton to start at QB"

what's amazing to me is having all of these so-called evaluators of talent who ultimately make the determination that a guy like this is not only worthy of the first pick in the entire draft, but he's so highly sought-after that the Panthers were willing to mortgage their future to get him

then he gets out on a football field and it's clear that he should be anywhere but

Ryan Leaf may be off the hook before it's all said and done

It's Shocking.

If I'm the owner I'm literally firing everyone that was involved in this Bryce Young decision making disaster.

The owner is the one that picked him.

They do deserve to get fired for how much they gave up to trade up though, no one is worth what they gave up. Its possible the owner told them to do it no matter what though

That said the only thing benching Young will do is just show people he wasnt the problem. They might have a moral boost for a game but that roster will still be fighting for a top draft pick. It is great for Young though, getting benched and cut would be the best thing for his career

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

"Panthers benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young after 0-2 start; Andy Dalton to start at QB"

what's amazing to me is having all of these so-called evaluators of talent who ultimately make the determination that a guy like this is not only worthy of the first pick in the entire draft, but he's so highly sought-after that the Panthers were willing to mortgage their future to get him

then he gets out on a football field and it's clear that he should be anywhere but

It's Shocking.

They do deserve to get fired for how much they gave up to trade up though, no one is worth what they gave up. Its possible the owner told them to do it no matter what though

That said the only thing benching Young will do is just show people he wasnt the problem. They might have a moral boost for a game but that roster will still be fighting for a top draft pick. It is great for Young though, getting benched and cut would be the best thing for his career

Well the Owner deserves to fire himself lol

I know we have talked about how bad the Panthers are but I do think that some of the poor play is on Young too but like you said if he ever gets the chance elsewhere it might be a different story idk

I mean the owner had to have had either guys telling him Bryce was a great pick or were just yes men, but to mortgage the farm for a 5 foot 10 195 pound guy to lead your team is just not a sound football decision at any level

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

It's Shocking.

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

It's Shocking.

I know we have talked about how bad the Panthers are but I do think that some of the poor play is on Young too but like you said if he ever gets the chance elsewhere it might be a different story idk

Really he should be fired for just being a bad person. He throws drinks on fans. Hes had his motorcade stop so he could go yell at some poor waiter for the restaurant having an anti Panthers sign out front.

How bad of a person do you have to be to be a billionaire and say pull over so you can go yell at restaurant employees over a sign and physically remove one of their hats for it being a different team

Dont forget Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield both started for the Panthers right before Young and that was before they traded away McCaffery and Moore and all those draft picks

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

It's Shocking.

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Steven59 said:

It's Shocking.

Really he should be fired for just being a bad person. He throws drinks on fans. Hes had his motorcade stop so he could go yell at some poor waiter for the restaurant having an anti Panthers sign out front.

How bad of a person do you have to be to be a billionaire and say pull over so you can go yell at restaurant employees over a sign and physically remove one of their hats for it being a different team

Dont forget Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield both started for the Panthers right before Young and that was before they traded away McCaffery and Moore and all those draft picks

Is mistlin the owner?

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Jerry Jones gets off the hook for the time being.
    “I’m all in” Says the owner who paid Dak $60M and did absolutely nothing to help the team in the preseason.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary Loves Ken Anderson!

The GOAT!!!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

I’m asking a little advice. I don’t have ESPN for next Mondays Bills game. I’m not signing up for a streaming service just for it. Any ideas to watch this single game?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

That said the only thing benching Young will do is just show people he wasnt the problem

Last season Dalton started one game for the Panthers and threw for 361 yards and 2 TDs, better than any game Young had.

Basebal21, not sure why you don't hold Young responsible at all. IMO, the Panthers offense is not nearly as bad as Young has made it seem but we will see how Dalton does. My guess is Dalton performs much better but ends up getting hurt and Young takes over and continues to play terribly.

Young looks like a quarterback that needed to sit on the bench for 3 years. He has been historically awful this season and while Dalton won't make the Panthers a winning team, it would be hard for him to perform worse than Young.

Robb

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I’m asking a little advice. I don’t have ESPN for next Mondays Bills game. I’m not signing up for a streaming service just for it. Any ideas to watch this single game?

When I was in college I was poor, but I had a car and a hunger for chicken wings.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

I'm loving this season so far. As a Vikings fan in the back of my mind I'm always thinking that disappointment will come at some point. But for now this is great.
    Seeing the scoring drive without Jefferson, Addison, Jones and Hockenson was extremely encouraging. I'd say offense, defense and special teams are all clicking right now.

@fergie23 said:
    That said the only thing benching Young will do is just show people he wasnt the problem

Last season Dalton started one game for the Panthers and threw for 361 yards and 2 TDs, better than any game Young had.

Basebal21, not sure why you don't hold Young responsible at all. IMO, the Panthers offense is not nearly as bad as Young has made it seem but we will see how Dalton does. My guess is Dalton performs much better but ends up getting hurt and Young takes over and continues to play terribly.

Young looks like a quarterback that needed to sit on the bench for 3 years. He has been historically awful this season and while Dalton won't make the Panthers a winning team, it would be hard for him to perform worse than Young.

Robb

The Panthers are simply a dumpster fire with every thing from the talent level of the team to the owner. Young never had a chance. They traded McCaffery mid season, then traded away enough draft picks to ruin two drafts while also including Moore and then expected Young to be superman. Mayfield and Darnold are the two QBs before him and they failed there even with McCarthy and Moore still there and both Mayfield and Darnold have shown the ability to be good with other teams.

How many failures in a row are necessary before we stop saying its all the QBs fault and its an organizational and roster failure? You have to have WRs that can get open to throw to them. Leggette and Mingo could turn into something but they arent there yet.

I never said Young doesnt deserve any of the blame, but he never had a chance to succeed either. Even long before the draft I had said that whatever QB Carolina takes will fail and whoever the Texans take will have a good shot at success.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    I'm loving this season so far. As a Vikings fan in the back of my mind I'm always thinking that disappointment will come at some point. But for now this is great.
    Seeing the scoring drive without Jefferson, Addison, Jones and Hockenson was extremely encouraging. I'd say offense, defense and special teams are all clicking right now.

Second half of season could be interesting if the Vikings are healthy, especially if Caleb Williams struggles for the Bears.
    Bears twice, Falcons, Titans and Cardinals games could all be wins.
    We'll see.
    Go Vikes!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited September 17, 2024 5:15PM

Russell Wilson’s calf injury is allowing Justin Fields to be the starter until he isn’t.
    My question. Has Wilson played himself out of the HOF?
    Maybe he was borderline like an Eli Manning if he retired 2 years ago.
    But has any QB done more to ply himself out of consideration?

W.C.Fields
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Young never had a chance.

Of course he had a chance. Every top QB drafted is going into a bad situation. He certainly wasn't going to win with the Panthers from the onset but he has shown absolutely no progress from last year to this year. QBs that can play in the NFL get better from year 1 to year 2.

Young has done nothing to make anyone think he can play QB in the NFL. He is tiny and the Panthers ignored the biggest red flag there is for a QB (size) hoping he would be like Kyler Murray when anyone watching college football knew Young wasn't as talented as Murray.

Mayfield and Darnold are the two QBs before him and they failed there even with McCarthy and Moore still there and both Mayfield and Darnold have shown the ability to be good with other teams.

Darnold was 4-2 in 2022 with the Panthers with a 51.4 QBR, not sure that is "failing". It is actually reasonable QB play. That said, his 2021 with the Panthers was definitely a disaster.

Mayfield, with the same 2022 Panthers squad Darnold played well with, was 1-6 with a QBR in the 20s. Mayfield then got traded to the Rams and played badly. At least with Mayfield, he flashed plenty of promise from 2018 - 2020 with Cleveland before finding a good situation in Tampa. Young has done nothing but fail.

In the end, could some team pick Young up and turn his career around? Maybe, but based on what he has shown so far that seems unlikely. A few seasons on the bench learning how to be an NFL QB, how to read defenses, shore up his mechanics, etc. maybe he becomes a serviceable QB. We will see. I do anticipate him being QB1 for the Panthers again this season. If he doesn't show some flashes of being a competent NFL QB, the Panthers will be drafting a new QB in the 2025 draft and trading away Young.

Right now Young is going the route of Ryan Leaf, Jamar Russell, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, etc.

Robb

So to mortgage the house on a 5’8” QB doesn’t make sense with so many holes to plug first. Build a team and get a QB. They mortgaged building a team and got zip.

W.C.Fields
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking news: security forces Dallas fan to stay and watch remainder of game

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@fergie23 said:
    Young never had a chance.

Of course he had a chance. Every top QB drafted is going into a bad situation. He certainly wasn't going to win with the Panthers from the onset but he has shown absolutely no progress from last year to this year. QBs that can play in the NFL get better from year 1 to year 2.

Young has done nothing to make anyone think he can play QB in the NFL. He is tiny and the Panthers ignored the biggest red flag there is for a QB (size) hoping he would be like Kyler Murray when anyone watching college football knew Young wasn't as talented as Murray.

Mayfield and Darnold are the two QBs before him and they failed there even with McCarthy and Moore still there and both Mayfield and Darnold have shown the ability to be good with other teams.

Darnold was 4-2 in 2022 with the Panthers with a 51.4 QBR, not sure that is "failing". It is actually reasonable QB play. That said, his 2021 with the Panthers was definitely a disaster.

Mayfield, with the same 2022 Panthers squad Darnold played well with, was 1-6 with a QBR in the 20s. Mayfield then got traded to the Rams and played badly. At least with Mayfield, he flashed plenty of promise from 2018 - 2020 with Cleveland before finding a good situation in Tampa. Young has done nothing but fail.

In the end, could some team pick Young up and turn his career around? Maybe, but based on what he has shown so far that seems unlikely. A few seasons on the bench learning how to be an NFL QB, how to read defenses, shore up his mechanics, etc. maybe he becomes a serviceable QB. We will see. I do anticipate him being QB1 for the Panthers again this season. If he doesn't show some flashes of being a competent NFL QB, the Panthers will be drafting a new QB in the 2025 draft and trading away Young.

Right now Young is going the route of Ryan Leaf, Jamar Russell, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, etc.

Robb

Not every top QB drafted is going into a bad situation and certainly not this bad of a situation even though most are. Caleb went into a great situation this year from that trade, hell the Panthers dont even have a 2nd pick this year either. Stroud went into a good situation the Texans had weapons in place and needed a QB and then decided to also add an elite edge rusher with the next pick.

The Panthers on the other hand decided to trade away their 3 best players and their weapons including trades that didnt involve moving up a few spots while getting not much back in return to set a QB up to fail.

Mayfield and Darnolds time with the Panthers Moore and McCaffery were both still there, Young didnt get a single game with either.

Not to mention the fact Young has played 18 games. It just shows how dysfunctional of an organization it is to give up on a guy that was set up for failure on a bad roster after 18 games. Plenty of HOF QBs in better spots like Peyton were bad their first season

Its almost impossible to lose all 17 games, but if I'm Ewers/Beck/Sanders/Ward etc 'Im praying the Panthers find a way to win a couple games and not draft me as a top QB. They could draft whatever QB they want and the situation will be the same.

I saw a funny joke that someone needs to go pull on their owners hair to make sure its not Dan Synder wearing a mask lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3