Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Disappearing threads?

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent a good half hour the other day preparing a bunch of Morgan's I want to sell.
I put the listing up. Then I realized I forgot to list one coin.
I then go back to edit and I get a message that says "your post will be posted when it is approved" or something similar.
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a long-term bug when you edit an already posted thread that it sometimes disappears or goes off into the ether for a bit. I have never had it happen to me, but others have posted similar things to you. When I edit a thread I generally copy the entire thing first and then, if it disappears, it can be reconstructed fairly easily.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, about five times in the past two weeks. I messaged Heather, but got no response. Only once was it when I was editing a new thread, the rest were when I was just replying to a thread and not even editing. None of them have reappeared.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I couldn't post for 2 days. Cleared cookies etc. No difference.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, I've had it happen numerous times and it can be extremely frustrating. It only seems to occur when I'm editing a post and often when the edit includes a quote/quotes from other posters.

Now days, I usually copy what I plan to post, just in case.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Yeah, I couldn't post for 2 days. Cleared cookies etc. No difference.

I also had two random pictures that wouldn't load, no matter what I did.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s quote troll stuff all for it. Sometimes trash has to be bulldozed off the hwy?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    If it’s quote troll stuff all for it. Sometimes trash has to be bulldozed off the hwy?

Thank you for yet another of your incredibly valuable posts. And please take care not to be bulldozed.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    I spent a good half hour the other day preparing a bunch of Morgan's I want to sell.
    I put the listing up. Then I realized I forgot to list one coin.
    I then go back to edit and I get a message that says "your post will be posted when it is approved" or something similar.
    Has anyone had this happen to them?

YES! I thought it was just me. I only learned about the edit function last week and two out of three times it has screwed up my post. On one important post I got that same message. As a formerly banned member (probably posting on thin ice) I figured I was being censored. Probably just my error but now, whenever I do a long post, I copy it in case I have to make an edit so I have not wasted all my time.

• Options

That's just rude in itself. Maybe we should be better examples.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

Oops! I guess I should have read the replies before posting. Now I can stop being paranoid!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider3 said:
    Oops! I guess I should have read the replies before posting. Now I can stop being paranoid!

Whoa, whoa, not so fast! There's plenty of things to still be paranoid about!

;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 12:41PM

The "edit" function is for those who couldn't get it right the first time.

Try to be more accurate when you first post, do not post anything that you need to take back later, etc. etc. Problem solved.

;):D:D

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 12:48PM

I have had quite a few times where I went in to edit and had this exact problem. Always frustrating and makes me more apt to live with my typos.

(lol - as I edit a typo..)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

That's just rude in itself. Maybe we should be better examples.

LOL. You must be new here.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this. If you see drafts here on the right side of your page click on it.

This page will come up. Click on it and delete your drafts. This "might" be the problem.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

This page will come up. Click on it and delete your drafts. This "might" be the problem.

Thanks very much for that. Unknown to me until now, I had well more than 100 of them.😬

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

I had this happen a lot 10-15 years ago on these forums. I did what Mark suggested back then. If it was going to be a long detailed post i would prepare it in a text editor first then paste it in just in case.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 2:30PM

@OAKSTAR said:

I'm still getting these as well from time to time. If there's a fix for it I missed it

Note: sometimes there's nothing there as well. Don't worry to much

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 - I really can't say what causes it or why. I know I'm constantly going in and out of posts before I actually post them. And editing them even after I post them making changes to my thoughts and spelling or grammar errors. I think that's what might be creating the drafts and maybe clogging up the system with glitches.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least there's a quick fix anyway 🙂

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well at least I'm not alone.
    Frustrating but what can you do.
    I appreciate the tips.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @johnny9434 - I really can't say what causes it or why. I know I'm constantly going in and out of posts before I actually post them. And editing them even after I post them making changes to my thoughts and spelling or grammar errors. I think that's what might be creating the drafts and maybe clogging up the system with glitches.

Yes, going in and out of post or a thread can create a draft. Here is some of what I have noticed and/or done but it may not be consistent and sometimes I know it is not.

A draft is created when a new thread is started or a new comment is being made and before it is posted. There is an auto save function (might be able to see it by watching the Post Comment Save Draft and it will 'flash'). I just checked as I was typing this and there is a draft in the Draft folder. One can also click the Save Draft to do just that. When the new thread or comment is posted the draft should disappear automatically.

Sometimes when the new thread or comment gets the dreaded comment will appear after approval, then there will be a draft in the Draft folder. If so, then can retrieve it there. I keep my drafts cleaned up somewhat but have had some of the failures. So while the full Draft folder might cause glitches it is not the only reason.

I had one that would not post. I then tried eliminating quotes and links. It turned out that after deleting a link to coin week the comment would post. Tried another with a link to coin week and it would not post. Others had no problem with the coin week links but for me it was no good. I am not sure about today.

Another it appeared my comment was too long. It was an update to the Resources thread. I tried to do it in smaller pieces and it sort of worked but was not preferred. Fortunately I was able to send it via PM to AspieRocco for it to be copied into the Resources.

For the above I actually copied the long comment into a new Draft thread. I started a thread (no title) and copied the information into it and saved the Draft. Therefore I had two copies of it in the draft. One for the comment in the thread and one in the new thread draft. This has not been a problem in the past as I have saved other comments to a new thread draft and they posted. Anyway, just another way to back up a comment before posting.

Once I started a new thread and as soon as I hit post I remembered a quick change I was going to do. Did edit and quick change and Post and got the not Approved thing. I did not have a draft copy. When I posted the thread the draft went away. With the quick edit I suspect an auto save did not happen and therefore when it failed to post the edit the data was gone.

There are probably a semi-infinite number of other things that cause these problems but just a few of what I have noticed (for me).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file