Super Bowl 58

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:
    It's interesting, it seems like only yesterday I was playfully teasing my wife in the leadup to the 2019 AFC Championship Game how sick everyone outside of New England was of the Patriots (they have gone to the Super Bowl four out of the past five times at this point) and what a refreshing change of pace it'd be for someone else to take the AFC pennant for a change! Now all of a sudden, it's the Chefs who have now gone to the Big Game four out of five times and now most everyone outside the KC area is sick of them!

We did back in the day like to have our own Super Bowl parties when her Patriots were in the SB but honestly I have no real reason to care about it...now the Kitty Bowl OTOH...

It is funny how quickly a team can go from the golden boys to hated if they have too much success too often.

many hate Brady, but he was pretty popular after the first SB, with the drafted 199 storyline.

now the same sort of thing will happen with Patty and the Chiefs. most people do not want to root for Goliath.

There is without a doubt a level of hatred building against the Chiefs. Their smugness has become a bit nauseating, and the Taylor Swift escapades speak for itself. We all know the average NFL fan is not and never will be a Taylor Swift fan.

The constant smooching on the lips of Kelce and Swift in public. Who the yell wants to see that? Keep that teenager in heat behavior private for crying out loud.

That being said, I don't think the Chiefs are in the same realm yet for hatred as the Dallas Cowboys used to be and still are. The Cowboys owner has a lot to do with the hate towards his team continuing for decades now.

I think the Swift thing bothers some people even though it shouldn't, she is supporting her guy as she should

As far as smugness goes for the Chiefs I'd have to say I am on their side with that, they were counted out before the playoffs even started and here they are going to the Super Bowl again.

In my view, the constant Swiftie chit at the Chief's games lacks class. Away from the stadium I couldn't care less about it. At the stadium, the game should be kept classy, not a soap opera for teenagers.

Take a look at this video. The touchy-feely chit is difficult to watch. If that isn't smug, I'm not sure what is? And wear some long pants for crying out loud. Show some class.

Also it's easy to observe that Travis is a little bit off, perhaps a lot off - LOL

https://youtu.be/JWTwkwoqHK4

Sure you got the right video?; that's Kelce Bros and and Reid talking football

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:
    It's interesting, it seems like only yesterday I was playfully teasing my wife in the leadup to the 2019 AFC Championship Game how sick everyone outside of New England was of the Patriots (they have gone to the Super Bowl four out of the past five times at this point) and what a refreshing change of pace it'd be for someone else to take the AFC pennant for a change! Now all of a sudden, it's the Chefs who have now gone to the Big Game four out of five times and now most everyone outside the KC area is sick of them!

We did back in the day like to have our own Super Bowl parties when her Patriots were in the SB but honestly I have no real reason to care about it...now the Kitty Bowl OTOH...

It is funny how quickly a team can go from the golden boys to hated if they have too much success too often.

many hate Brady, but he was pretty popular after the first SB, with the drafted 199 storyline.

now the same sort of thing will happen with Patty and the Chiefs. most people do not want to root for Goliath.

There is without a doubt a level of hatred building against the Chiefs. Their smugness has become a bit nauseating, and the Taylor Swift escapades speak for itself. We all know the average NFL fan is not and never will be a Taylor Swift fan.

The constant smooching on the lips of Kelce and Swift in public. Who the yell wants to see that? Keep that teenager in heat behavior private for crying out loud.

That being said, I don't think the Chiefs are in the same realm yet for hatred as the Dallas Cowboys used to be and still are. The Cowboys owner has a lot to do with the hate towards his team continuing for decades now.

I think the Swift thing bothers some people even though it shouldn't, she is supporting her guy as she should

As far as smugness goes for the Chiefs I'd have to say I am on their side with that, they were counted out before the playoffs even started and here they are going to the Super Bowl again.

In my view, the constant Swiftie chit at the Chief's games lacks class. Away from the stadium I couldn't care less about it. At the stadium, the game should be kept classy, not a soap opera for teenagers.

Take a look at this video. The touchy-feely chit is difficult to watch. If that isn't smug, I'm not sure what is? And wear some long pants for crying out loud. Show some class.

Also it's easy to observe that Travis is a little bit off, perhaps a lot off - LOL

I watched some minutes of it, and couldn't take any more. They were talking football like schoolgirls talking football. Not sure later in the video, if all three were dancing to Swiftie music or not? 🤣

Actually Jason had class, but his recent antics at the last Chief's game even hissed off his wife. Andy Reid used to have class, but it seems like that has disappeared. Travis obviously never had class and never will.

Remember it was Andy Reid, who when he was with the Eagles, signed the dog butcher Michael Vick after his prison sentence.

I abhorred that signing, but as an Eagles fan still of course rooted for the team. Vick was a waste of time anyway. The Eagles never won a single playoff game with him. I was very glad when Vick got released.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Remember it was Andy Reid, who when he was with the Eagles, signed the dog butcher Michael Vick after his prison sentence.

I abhorred that signing, but as an Eagles fan still of course rooted for the team. Vick was a waste of time anyway. The Eagles never won a single playoff game with him. I was very glad when Vick got released.

Never should of been a place for the animal abuser. Am a strong advocate for animal rights.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited February 1, 2024 2:51PM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:

I watched some minutes of it, and couldn't take any more. They were talking football like schoolgirls talking football. Not sure later in the video, if all three were dancing to Swiftie music or not? 🤣

Actually Jason had class, but his recent antics at the last Chief's game even hissed off his wife. Andy Reid used to have class, but it seems like that has disappeared. Travis obviously never had class and never will.

I don't care for Travis Kelce, it's like he tries too hard to mix in a weird hip hop style, idk just not my kind of guy

Jason Kelce actually picked up a little girl and allowed the family to take a picture of them and another little girl was awestruck by Swift and he grabbed her and brought her over to say hi to her, Jason is ok in my book

Reid has had a tough go of it with his kids so I got empathy for him

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:

I don't care for Travis Kelce, it's like he tries too hard to mix in a weird hip hop style, idk just not my kind of guy

Jason Kelce actually picked up a little girl and allowed the family to take a picture of them and another little girl was awestruck by Swift and he grabbed her and brought her over to say hi to her, Jason is ok in my book

You're right, Jason is a good guy and has been a great Philadelphia Eagle. He is rumored to be considering retirement, and I wouldn't begrudge him one bit. Either way I wish him the best.

I'm just having some smack fun leading up to the Super Bowl. Admittedly, I'll probably root for the 49ers. But if the Chiefs win, I'll be among the first to congratulate them. 😉

edited February 1, 2024 4:23PM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:

You're right, Jason is a good guy and has been a great Philadelphia Eagle. He is rumored to be considering retirement, and I wouldn't begrudge him one bit. Either way I wish him the best.

I'm just having some smack fun leading up to the Super Bowl. Admittedly, I'll probably root for the 49ers. But if the Chiefs win, I'll be among the first to congratulate them. 😉

Totally understand and you of all people are a good sport win or lose.

I'm looking forward to a stress free game as far as who I care winning it because that will solely be based on where my money is lol

Should be a good game, I think I give the edge to KC

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@Estil said:

Totally understand and you of all people are a good sport win or lose.

I'm looking forward to a stress free game as far as who I care winning it because that will solely be based on where my money is lol

Should be a good game, I think I give the edge to KC

Very tough game to handicap. It's easy to see why folks like KC to win this game.

Of course Mahomes is proven to play well. Can Purdy do the same and keep it an interesting game?

We shall see.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I like how the Chiefs self confidence is being interpreted as smugness.
    The same as Brady and the Patriots during their dynasty.

Welcome to Patriot fans world. 98% of the time Tommy said exactly the right things at the podiums and during press conferences, but people thought the same about him and the team.

It just goes with being the top team. people love an underdog story. They loved the Pats at first. the ultimate underdogs. but when they got too good for too long, it got tiring for people. The same is happening to the Chiefs. If they can keep it up for another 5 years, the hate will become real from those not living around KC.

Dont worry about it. it is just jealousy. Enjoy your team being great for as long as it happens. I promise, it wont last forever.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

As for Taylor, I dont care. like at all. She is going to the games and supporting her BF. i dont listen to her music, but from all i read, she is supposedly a pretty nice lady.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

Welcome to Patriot fans world. 98% of the time Tommy said exactly the right things at the podiums and during press conferences, but people thought the same about him and the team.

It just goes with being the top team. people love an underdog story. They loved the Pats at first. the ultimate underdogs. but when they got too good for too long, it got tiring for people. The same is happening to the Chiefs. If they can keep it up for another 5 years, the hate will become real from those not living around KC.

Dont worry about it. it is just jealousy. Enjoy your team being great for as long as it happens. I promise, it wont last forever.

Craig,
    Mahomes is the same way as Brady, 98% of the time he says the right thing. I remember before the Chiefs- Tampa Bay SB Mahomes was at the podium and started a sentence with
    “Brady is arguably the GOAT quarterback “ . Nothing wrong with that, I’m sure Mahomes doesn’t study the stats of every QB like we do here and argue about it.
    But one of the media idiots who somehow has his own tv show thought Mahomes was disrespecting Brady by using the word ‘arguably’.
    He made a huge issue about it on his show because he wanted something to attract more viewers and more attention to himself.

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

I think his father's comments (recent article posted in the Belichick thread) portray what Tom really thought about Bill Belichick.

Frankly, I think Tom benefited from that. Don't forget, Bruce Arians was similar, authoritarian, in his coaching style to Bill Belichick, and of course Brady won a Super Bowl there.

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

Craig,
    Mahomes is the same way as Brady, 98% of the time he says the right thing. I remember before the Chiefs- Tampa Bay SB Mahomes was at the podium and started a sentence with
    “Brady is arguably the GOAT quarterback “ . Nothing wrong with that, I’m sure Mahomes doesn’t study the stats of every QB like we do here and argue about it.
    But one of the media idiots who somehow has his own tv show thought Mahomes was disrespecting Brady by using the word ‘arguably’.
    He made a huge issue about it on his show because he wanted something to attract more viewers and more attention to himself.

My impression when he used that word. He was just using it as a generalization. That others may be debating the subject. Not necessarily he, Mahomes was. Not applying to his view directly.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    As for Taylor, I dont care. like at all. She is going to the games and supporting her BF. i dont listen to her music, but from all i read, she is supposedly a pretty nice lady.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Id much rather see them focus on her than on Jackson Maholmes and his atrocious antics that Brittney would join in with before Taylor came along

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Id much rather see them focus on her than on Jackson Maholmes and his atrocious antics that Brittney would join in with before Taylor came along

1000000%

Plus it saves Patrick alot of grief

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-analyst-rants-chiefs-underdogs-super-bowl-lviii

NFL analyst rants about Chiefs being underdogs for Super Bowl LVIII: ‘How in the world’

"So, you’re telling me you’re going to say the Niners are the favorite? They’re like going off yards per play from the regular season, give me a break, bro. You’ve got to be kidding me. In a close game, you’re going to take Brock Purdy and Kyle Shanahan over Mahomes and Andy Reid? Yeah, not me. I’ve seen this movie too many times – I’m going to take the Chiefs."

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

Craig,

I agree. I wouldnt have taken offense to that comment. the talking heads just do that stuff to rile things up.

if the winning continues, it will be not only the media that will turn on the chiefs, it will be the rank and file football fans. I remember when the Pats were winning all the time, they would take polls and color in the map for which SB teams football fans wanted to win. the only "blue" states were usually Mass, Maine, NH and Vermont. every other state would be for the other team. just the way it is. its just noise.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2024 6:30AM

If memory serves me one of the Perkies was Jenn Sterger. She became a reporter and dated Brett Favre for awhile

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    If memory serves me one of the Perkies was Jenn Sterger. She became a reporter and dated Brett Favre for awhile

Yep, Jenn Sterger

She never dated Favre though, Favre stalked her lol

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Yep, Jenn Sterger

She never dated Favre though, Favre stalked her lol

Didn’t we all? 😂😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

I just googled Jenn Sterger and her pics. 👍👍

I haven't even put my bet/s in yet 🤷

@perkdog said:

I haven't even put my bet/s in yet 🤷

That should push the headline number up a few notches. 😉

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 8:15PM

@Darin said:

WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't read much about either team but I've sure read alot about Taylor Swift not going to perform at halftime and how she's going to fly in from Tokyo to see some of the game and Poor old Mahomes Sr. getting arrested for his 3rd DUI.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Line still at SF -2 which is what it opened at.

80% of the money is on KC

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

You know, except for a few 7 figure bets and then a dozen or so mid 6 figure bets on the 49ers that has been publicized, I keep reading how a big percentage of the money and a significant percentage of the actual tickets are mostly wagered on the Chiefs. If this is actually true, why isn't the line moving in that direction? ESPN BET did move to SF -1.5 earlier this morning, but the other books have been holding steady at -2 like you said.

@countdouglas said:

@perkdog said:

You know, except for a few 7 figure bets and then a dozen or so mid 6 figure bets on the 49ers that has been publicized, I keep reading how a big percentage of the money and a significant percentage of the actual tickets are mostly wagered on the Chiefs. If this is actually true, why isn't the line moving in that direction? ESPN BET did move to SF -1.5 earlier this morning, but the other books have been holding steady at -2 like you said.

It's definitely eye brow raising, I'm still on the fence personally

I do feel that the Chiefs should be favorites, I don't know why the odds makers are letting the Chiefs continue with the we are the underdogs torch

@countdouglas said:

@perkdog said:

Interesting. The fact is in cases such as this the little guy is usually wrong, but then again the big dogs aren't always right.

That being said, whether it's anything in life, the big dogs are usually right which is why they became the big dogs.

@perkdog said:

@countdouglas said:

@perkdog said:

It's definitely eye brow raising, I'm still on the fence personally

I do feel that the Chiefs should be favorites, I don't know why the odds makers are letting the Chiefs continue with the we are the underdogs torch

Your premise is spot on in my view.

If I was betting on the game, I'd have to take the 49ers. I think they are going to play a lot better than some expect. With the Chiefs possibly reverting back to their earlier season form of dropping passes, etc.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:

There was a recent thread on this guy and I watched a little bit of the posted video. Frankly, I'm not sure if this guy is a big dog or just a fraud.

However this I know for sure. The real big dogs, whether it be wagering on sports, stock market trading, land deals, etc, normally don't give out their pics to the public.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

There was a recent thread on this guy and I watched a little bit of the posted video. Frankly, I'm not sure if this guy is a big dog or just a fraud.

However this I know for sure. The real big dogs, whether it be wagering on sports, stock market trading, land deals, etc, normally don't give out their pics to the public.

Unless theyre trying to manipulate something to influence public behavior in a way they want. I have no idea who that guy is though so I dont know if its some attempt at something or clout chasing. Youre right though by the time things are made public the big dogs already locked in their positions and see a value to saying it.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@stevek

he's the biggest of the big dogs. first sentence: "widely regarded as the most successful bettor of all time"

i know of him because of his collaboration with Phil Mickelson. worth googling.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/todd-dewey/legendary-pro-sports-bettor-gives-his-pick-for-super-bowl-58-video-2996353/

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Unless theyre trying to manipulate something to influence public behavior in a way they want. I have no idea who that guy is though so I dont know if its some attempt at something or clout chasing. Youre right though by the time things are made public the big dogs already locked in their positions and see a value to saying it.

Excellent point. Pump and dump schemes are not uncommon in the stock market. Sorry I'm not going to mention the stock's name, but a stock I follow, this week jumped from 16 cents a share to 74 cents a share in just two days. Today its come back down to 24 cents. I've never owned this stock, but it has a long history of shenanigans, and I follow it just for the fun of it.

we discussed this guy months ago and i posted this interview. it's long, but worth it. even if you don't gamble i think you'll find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wKXe0kAOM

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Excellent point. Pump and dump schemes are not uncommon in the stock market. Sorry I'm not going to mention the stock's name, but a stock I follow, this week jumped from 16 cents a share to 74 cents a share in just two days. Today its come back down to 24 cents. I've never owned this stock, but it has a long history of shenanigans, and I follow it just for the fun of it.

Anytime some move like that is announced thats always my first thought. Theyre obviously doing it for personal gain. Stocks if its a big move it has to be disclosed, betting you never really know if someone actually did what they said for the most part. Someone could easily just be saying something trying to move a line fading what they said and things like that

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@galaxy27 said:
    @stevek

he's the biggest of the big dogs. first sentence: "widely regarded as the most successful bettor of all time"

i know of him because of his collaboration with Phil Mickelson. worth googling.

As I think you know, Walters spent time in prison for an insider trading scandal.

In my opinion he seems just like the type who would use sports betting for money laundering purposes. I'm not going to discuss here the details on how this is done. Suffice to say it often involves drugs or other illegal activities. Most casinos, sports books, etc, look out for this, some more than others. They will close an account in a flash if they suspect this, and hold or confiscate the money in the account. I think the US legal sites have to give that money to the US government after a given period of time. The offshore sites just keep the money for themselves.

Appears as if lately Walters has been doing quite well from what I've read. Perhaps he has just refined his act and hasn't been caught yet? Some clever mobsters such as Meyer Lansky go their entire lives involved in crime, become enriched, and never get caught. But most if not virtually all wind-up in prison or worse, such as Bugsy Siegel.

@JWP said:

If the Chiefs lose the Super Bowl, I wonder if Vegas will offer an over/under on when Taylor dumps Travis. 😆

For those interested Walters has a new book out about his life. I checked it out at my local library. Will soon get to reading it.

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2024 7:07PM

I don't really care about the Super Bowl, I want the Kitty Bowl! And you know Taylor is a fellow cat lover and this is what Mark Twain has to say about the matter:

WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

Chicken wings, Pepsi and my LG HDTV.
    Rooting for a good game to end the season

W.C.Fields

I got a couple buddies coming over, we are going to breakfast in the AM then going to the Casino and will mess around there and have a couple drinks, then late afternoon we will go to my house.

They are talking about getting a bunch of subs and cutting them up so we got a variety, I will probably grab a spiral ham or ribs and toss it in the crockpot as well.

Good times!!!